PDA

View Full Version : Minutes Silences

NOLA
07-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I can't remember so many Minutes Silences at football games ever, seems like 1 every week, Has it always been like this?

Alex Trager
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Why dont we have them? we always have a minutes applause

magpie1892
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I can't remember so many Minutes Silences at football games ever, seems like 1 every week, Has it always been like this?

I've been at about 40 games this season at various venues in England and Scotland and there's been over a dozen minutes' applause/silence. They are being done to death and devaluing the whole thing.

No, it has not always been like this. I seem to remember about 1 or 2 a season as recently as 10 years ago.

I think it's pretty pathetic to be honest.

Brizo
07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
The post Diana cult of compulsory public mourning is to blame. Before her death they were extremely rare. This cult also manifests itself in pavement shrines to crime and road victims which werent seen a couple of decades ago.

If the present trend continues for clubs to commemorate every deceased player or club official by a minutes silence / applause eventually there will be one at every game. Which will reduce them to just another part of the matchday furniture such that they become a meaningless empty gesture.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2010, 01:25 PM
The post Diana cult of compulsory public mourning is to blame. Before her death they were extremely rare. This cult also manifests itself in pavement shrines to crime and road victims which werent seen a couple of decades ago.

If the present trend continues for clubs to commemorate every deceased player or club official by a minutes silence / applause eventually there will be one at every game. Which will reduce them to just another part of the matchday furniture such that they become a meaningless empty gesture.

:agree:

IMO No life taken is worth any more or less than others.

Whilst people in the public eye touch thousands/millions, I think the frenzy from the Diana media-feeding/public-feeding/media-feeding/public-feeding distasteful.

Whilst I have nothing against the Edinburgh firefighter that was tragically killed in the line of duty I do find the seemingly never-ending campaign perplexing.

I also find it bizarre that its often people that folks have never met/seen in the flesh that warrant the sympathy whilst there are others closer to home/community that pass by apparently unnoticed.

Phil D. Rolls
07-03-2010, 01:39 PM
The whole thing is out of hand. We make too big a deal out of death these days.

Hainan Hibs
07-03-2010, 02:00 PM
It's a global conspiracy to wind up the tims:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
It's a global conspiracy to wind up the tims:agree:

Yes, along with global warming and earthquakes in Chile. Tbh there's no need for a conspiracy to wind up the Tims, the human race winds them up.

lapsedhibee
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM
If the present trend continues for clubs to commemorate every deceased player or club official by a minutes silence / applause eventually there will be one at every game.

Actually find it a bit disrespectful that someone could die on a Tuesday and then have to wait until the following Saturday for the minute's acknowledgement of his life. Shirley a midweek match could be arranged to provide an immediate opportunity? Clubs seem quick enough to rearrange matches to suit TV schedules, or rugby matches, or the polis, or lack of floodlights - just about anything else, in fact.

Salsa
07-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Not a fan of these applauses. Death is a time for mourning, not celebrating. Plenty opportunity to celebrate a great life once the death has passed when you chant that players name in the terraces each week. You don't see folk at funderals breaking out into a song and dance do you?

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Not a fan of these applauses. Death is a time for mourning, not celebrating. Plenty opportunity to celebrate a great life once the death has passed when you chant that players name in the terraces each week. You don't see folk at funderals breaking out into a song and dance do you?

:agree: We've lost a little bit if we're unable to pay respect in the time honoured fashion. [and no I'm not still in a cave :greengrin]