PDA

View Full Version : Stokes/Riordan Forward Combination

Cocaine&Caviar
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Its heavily believed by a majority on this board, myself included that Riordan is flattering to deceive on the left wing role, at least under the current system.

Riordan was once a great left winger when playing next to GOC, who had a better ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play better than Stokes. Not a dig at Stokes, he's just a far different player.

So I ask, would a Stokes and Riordan front two combination work?

Are they too short a duo?

Obviously we have to make the most of what we have in our squad, with a great deal of strikers Nish, Benji, Gow etc, so perhaps this would make it an unfeasable option?

007 Mickey Weir
06-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Hughes played them together at the start of the season and it didn't really work. Riordan seems to like coming in from the left.

But it could work in certain games. Maybe next week?

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I dont think Deeks at his best right up through the middle.He scored most of his goals for us from the left wing,big difference from left midfield.

Interesting to see that the last couple games he seems to be playing more infield.The problem this gave us,particularly in the first half today was that,when Ian Murray has the ball,he has noone infront of him so most of the time we have to come back inside or go back.A lot of people around me were moaning and booing when we done this today.Id rather we kept the ball than an aimless lump up the park.

Franck is God
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
they started the game yesterday as a partnership through the middle but had to switch when Gow went off. It just doesn't work, there has been very little combination play between them all season. I think its because they very much play as individuals, neither one of them likes creating for others.

Deek is hugely talented, takes a good free kick and corner as his delivery from a set piece can be outstanding however he is let down by his attitude and workrate.

Stokes tries all the right things but most of the time his play outside the box is quite poor, its not a problem because he scores goals and his workrate and movement get him enough chances to be worth a place in the team.

I personally think if we want to be successful then we can only afford one of them to play, not an opinion agreed by many but I can live with that.

mim
07-03-2010, 11:54 AM
So I ask, would a Stokes and Riordan front two combination work?

The question should be 'did it work?. Not 'would it work?'

Yesterday's line-up:

Stack
Wotherspoon Hogg Bamba Murray
Gow Miller McBride Stevenson
Stokes Riordan

Before the disruption caused by injuries, there was nothing wrong with the line up, except that Stevenson was like a little boy lost.

Cocaine&Caviar
07-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Yesterday's line-up:

Stack
Stokes Riordan

However, at times it also looked like the set up we've seen all season:

Stack
----------McBride Stevenson
Miller-----------Gow---------Riordan
--------------Stokes

GreenPJ
07-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Yesterday's line-up:

Stack
Stokes Riordan

Before the disruption caused by injuries, there was nothing wrong with the line up, except that Stevenson was like a little boy lost.

Did you watch the game??? There was nothing right about yesterday. I did not even notice that Riordan was playing until 10-15 mins in. We had little width before Gow went off and absolutely none when he did go off.

I agree Stevenson was a bit lost, his passing has never been his biggest forte but he now appears to be too defensive. I like the lad and hope he can deliver again but it does not work with him and McBride in the team and we have absolutely no pace whatsoever without Galbraith.

mim
07-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Did you watch the game??? There was nothing right about yesterday.
I certainly did and you're correct that there wasn't much right about our performance.
What I said was that there wasn't anything wrong with the way we lined up.
In fact, the line up was what many on here have been asking for, with Deeks moved forward, rather than playing left midfield.
It would probably have worked too, if Stevenson hadn't had such a 'mare.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Would like to see more of Galbraith, I think most fans would.

Westie1875
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Yesterday's line-up:

Stack
Stokes Riordan

:agree: It was working well upfront yesterday before the injuries, shame we never got to see it for the full game, thought Gow was doing well too before he went off.

Green'nWhite
07-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Dont think that you can judge whether this combination would work until the correct team is picked around them and they are given better service. From yesterdays team replace Stevenson and Gow with Wotherspoon and Galbraith to give the team some pace, penetration and width.

Eaststand
07-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Stokes and Deek are both very good players, but I reckon they don't play well together, and one of them in the forward line at a time is all we can afford. Selfish forwards who rarely see an obvious pass to some-one beter placed than them aint anything new. But we've got 2 forwards who don't like passing to each other, and that's one too many. Get galbraith on more often to use his pace to feed Stokes. Weatherspoon overlapping also feeds the forward line well. Deeks is very talented but Stokes will always score more

Tyler Durden
07-03-2010, 02:33 PM
they started the game yesterday as a partnership through the middle but had to switch when Gow went off. It just doesn't work, there has been very little combination play between them all season. I think its because they very much play as individuals, neither one of them likes creating for others.

Deek is hugely talented, takes a good free kick and corner as his delivery from a set piece can be outstanding however he is let down by his attitude and workrate.
Stokes tries all the right things but most of the time his play outside the box is quite poor, its not a problem because he scores goals and his workrate and movement get him enough chances to be worth a place in the team.

I personally think if we want to be successful then we can only afford one of them to play, not an opinion agreed by many but I can live with that.

Really? So did Riordan's attitude and workrate let him down yesterday?

The same Riordan winning the ball in his own half in injury time? With the attitude so poor he asked to play in the reserves after being dropped.

Total pish aimed at him as usual.

The_Sauz
07-03-2010, 05:20 PM

:top marks
Have been saying the same all season!!

J-C
07-03-2010, 05:33 PM
You need proper wide men to play along side them, allowing both to move freely upfront, moving from either left or right and keep the defense guessing, we need to play Galbraith and Wotherspoon( in midfield ) to achieve this.

Kojock
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
24 goals between them. I'll let Yogi decide.

Dunkin' Donut
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
You need proper wide men to play along side them, allowing both to move freely upfront, moving from either left or right and keep the defense guessing, we need to play Galbraith and Wotherspoon( in midfield ) to achieve this.

100% agree. our play has been far too narrow all season. i can count on one hand the amount amount of times we have tried to open the game up by playing wider which is poor given our options.