PDA

View Full Version : Right Good Result - What About Performance?

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Wasn't at the game due to work issues, wonderful result that stops the rot, unbeaten in two at Fortress ER, to put a positive spin on it.

Performance wise seems a bit ropey though. How were things on Yogi's 'right good' scale, with 10 being 'really right good' and 1 being 'no right good enough'?

Pedantic_Hibee
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Wasn't at the game due to work issues, wonderful result that stops the rot, unbeaten in two at Fortress ER, to put a positive spin on it.

Performance wise seems a bit ropey though. How were things on Yogi's 'right good' scale, with 10 being 'really right good' and 1 being 'no right good enough'?

I got an unobstructed view of the game from my radio, sounded like a 6 out of 10.

Bit stuffy, bit disjointed, misplaced passes. 3 points.

18Craig75
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Definitely an improvement, although still not back to our usual selves. We had a few nice passages of play and some not so nice.

It was more important to win today than it was to put in an attractive performance, however we now need to build on it!

PeeJay
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Not a good advert for Scotish football. FWIW we played the better football, although that's not really saying much. 3 points - bring on Ross County!

shamo9
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
I find the metamorphosis of Lewis Stevenson into Barry 'sideways and back' Ferguson most disturbing.

We were pretty poor and were greatly helped by playing a team with no goal threat to punish us whatsoever.

Today was just about winning. We needed to stop the rot and we did, nothing more needs to be said.

MussyHibby
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Definitely an improvement, although still not back to our usual selves. We had a few nice passages of play and some not so nice.

It was more important to win today than it was to put in an attractive performance, however we now need to build on it!

:agree:

We were poor again for me. A distinct lack of atmosphere in the ground which I don't think helped.

Kilmarnock? Worst team I've seen from the SPL at ER this season.

SneakersO'Toole
06-03-2010, 04:11 PM
It was a poor performance and we will need to play a lot better in a couple of weeks if we want to take anything from the Edinburgh Derby.

That said, I'll take winning ugly ever week. We need to build from this and start being consitent again.

MussyHibby
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Ferkin honkin. And I don't care what Yogi says, that pitch is pish resulting in hoofball being the order of the day.
It also conspires to show players as being below par when in fact they are all decent to really good players.

Higlight of the day was seeing Gary O'Connor at the back of the South stand

and his Birmingham were on the tele tae! :confused:

PeeJay
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I find the metamorphosis of Lewis Stevenson into Barry 'sideways and back' Ferguson most disturbing.

Fair point - he certainly seems to have lost any confidence; he tended to look for the safe option and just get rid off the ball as quickly as possible. Being subbed won't help him, though. I'm sure there's a great player in there waiting to be discovered.

Bob Box Fish
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Poor performance on a a shocking pitch. On the positive side hanlon looked really good when he came on and stokes showed great work rate. Excellent goal from riordan for a much needed win .

Don't think I've ever saw so many back passes in my life! Stack done well considering the surface.

Still too many dwarfs that are out fought in the air. Quite often we try an extra pass too Many when we are in good positions which at times resulted in the ball coming back to stack.

Killie were very poor today.

Not convinced we are good enough for 3rd. I think utd will pip us as they can win away to st mirren / Hamilton etc and I can't see us winning at those venues.

Billy McKirdy
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
The only good thing about today :agree:

YouTube - Riordan free kick against Kilmarnock 6 March 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M424nbmc4qM)

HFC 0-7
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought today was one of our worst performances of the season, it was just lucky Killie were mince. We give the ball away far too much and when on the ball go to panic stations and hump the ball to no one, absolutetly no composure. Even when players did have time on the ball they seemed to panic and make a mess of things. Only positives out of today was hanlons performance and Deeks goal.

Hainan Hibs
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM

YouTube - Riordan free kick against Kilmarnock 6 March 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M424nbmc4qM)[/URL]

Brilliant:thumbsup:

jdships
06-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Interesting reading the comments on the performance today .
Lack of composure , panic etc.
From my experience the majority of teams at this level are made up mostly of solid fair quality players with a few "flair " players added .
if you are coached to stroke the ball about on a billiard table surface unless you are a top class player it is very difficult to adjust to playing on a ploughed field.
"Can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear" also come's to mind
Accept the fact we are not Barcelona, Inter or whatever - we are a reasonably good SPL side with no "stars" .

Money talks in football and we do not have unlimited cash to lay out on top class players.
I have/hsd no illusions about supporting HFC : it always has been a roller coaster ride and I have no doubt's it will remain so for what is left of my life .:greengrin

I just enjoy seeing the team play when I can and admit I suffer along with the rest of you when things go wrong !!:wink:

:flag:

silverhibee
06-03-2010, 06:24 PM

YouTube - Riordan free kick against Kilmarnock 6 March 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M424nbmc4qM)[/URL]

:thumbsup::notworthy:

WindyMiller
06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Bob
P. poor performance from a team that looked like they'd just met in the dressing-room before the game.
Danny Galbraith won us the match because he was the only one in our team with a bit of pace.
He ran at their defence, they panicked and fouled him.
Deeks put it away.
Hopefully that win has stopppe the rot.

p.s. Killie were absolutely abmismal.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

mim
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Firstly, Killie were abysmal.

Secondly, we were better by a fair bit, but still not very good.

Stack is calmness personified.
Hogg's distribution is shocking.
Stevenson was like a lost soul.
Deek's lack of pace is becoming a problem - but what a strike. :thumbsup:
Stokes worked his socks off as did Miller, McBride and Murray.
Wotherspoon is going to be a real star.

So, nothing new there.

4 out of 10.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
The performance was pretty awful but I'm glad that we stopped the rot and managed to finally win a game.

Hopefully we can now get back on track and finish in 3rd place.

IWasThere2016
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Firstly, Killie were abysmal.

Secondly, we were better by a fair bit, but still not very good.

Stack is calmness personified.
Hogg's distribution is shocking.
Stevenson was like a lost soul.
Deek's lack of pace is becoming a problem - but what a strike. :thumbsup:
Stokes worked his socks off as did Miller, McBride and Murray.
Wotherspoon is going to be a real star.

So, nothing new there.

4 out of 10.

Do you mean Hanlon, Mike? Spoon was good - Hanlon was class today :agree:

IberianHibernian
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Poor performance (worse than last week) against a team that were obviously happy with a draw (don`t know why given our recent form and results ). Seemed like an end of season game with nothing at stake with both teams lethargic till last 10 minutes . Found lack of urgency more worrying than bad play .

Wotherspiniesta
06-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Wotherspoon ripping the two boys at the corner flag in injury time was one of the best bits of skill I've seen at ER :top marks. Wasn't his best game by a long way, his passing in the first half was awful. McBride was impressive, covering the defence keeping things moving. As always some of Liam Miller's touches were excellent, but he gave the ball away a few times aswell. The amount of times Hogg played the ball back to Stack was ridiculous, but then when he tried to step forward, he gave it away a lot ( that shot from 40 yards? :wtf:). If Murray wasn't a footballer he should consider being a marathon runner. Stevenson looked lost out there. Stokes should have scored when through one on one in the 1st half, but put in a good shift chasing down defenders. Hanlon put in another good performance at CB and should keep his place. Riordan's goal was the obvious highlight. I'd love to see the posession stats ( and please don't send me a link to the bbc website because we know how accurate they are). We seemed to have about 75% without making too many chances. It wasn't pretty, but there was some nice moves in there. Hopefully the win will give the team the confidence to put on a better performance next week, but as for today, the 3 points was the most important thing, so job done.

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Jolly good show. Hopefully confidence will be somewhat restored, enabling us to produce the superiour performances which will take us into a Hampden semi at Ross County's expense and give Los Yambolinos a sound biffing at the PBS. A nice win against United to ease comfortably into fourth spot before some bad performances against Falkirk, Celtic and Hamilton to restore a little PST. (pre-split tension).

mim
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Do you mean Hanlon, Mike? Spoon was good - Hanlon was class today :agree:

Nope. Hanlon was fine, but considering they had the square root of f all up front, not a great game to judge him on.

Sas_The_Hibby
06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Problem for me is the apparent lack of basic ball skills our players have shown the last few games - poor first touches, poor control of the ball at feet and poor passing (NOT down to the pitch, just poor weighting and / or direction of the pass).

I am concerned at Yogi talking as if there's no problem and we're back on track now we've won a game. I trust he doesn't want to bad mouth his team in public and will sort out the problems in private. If he really thinks we're doing fine, then he's in denial, IMO.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Problem for me is the apparent lack of basic ball skills our players have shown the last few games - poor first touches, poor control of the ball at feet and poor passing (NOT down to the pitch, just poor weighting and / or direction of the pass).

I am concerned at Yogi talking as if there's no problem and we're back on track now we've won a game. I trust he doesn't want to bad mouth his team in public and will sort out the problems in private. If he really thinks we're doing fine, then he's in denial, IMO.

I don't for one minute believe Yogi does not know our failings. He's juggling a squad around trying to get the best out of them. I do think the pitch is a big factor in the way we are playing. Its a lot easier to stop a football side, than to play like them, especially when that side have better footballers than you.

Its taking 2-3 touches to get the ball under control, by that time you are shut down, that cant be easy for them. We will sign better players in the summer, we will get a better pitch too, until then we need to get behind this team as best we can. We are in a fight for a European place, and hopefully will be in a semi final place next week. Most people said that was what they wanted a Hibs side to be doing, when we had a poll before the season started.:thumbsup:

Sas_The_Hibby
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't for one minute believe Yogi does not know our failings. He's juggling a squad around trying to get the best out of them. I do think the pitch is a big factor in the way we are playing. Its a lot easier to stop a football side, than to play like them, especially when that side have better footballers than you.

Its taking 2-3 touches to get the ball under control, by that time you are shut down, that cant be easy for them. We will sign better players in the summer, we will get a better pitch too, until then we need to get behind this team as best we can. We are in a fight for a European place, and hopefully will be in a semi final place next week. Most people said that was what they wanted a Hibs side to be doing, when we had a poll before the season started.:thumbsup:

All fair comment but we should be easily beating that Killie team on any pitch frankly. I don't think a cup semi place is in the bag, by any means, either.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2010, 11:25 PM
All fair comment but we should be easily beating that Killie team on any pitch frankly. I don't think a cup semi place is in the bag, by any means, either.

I dont think we have the right to beat anyone easily, and dont know why you would think that? I agree we are not in the semi yet, but if we should be beating Killie easily, surely you must be thinking we should be beating Ross County? If i could have hand picked the draw, that would have been the one. We are not in the next round, but we have a great chance.

vahibbie
07-03-2010, 12:53 AM
:agree:

We were poor again for me. A distinct lack of atmosphere in the ground which I don't think helped.

Kilmarnock? Worst team I've seen from the SPL at ER this season.

Agree:agree:
You were probably there so can comment better on the atmosphere. I will say that watching on HibsTV the singing sounded quite good. If all the old "easters" go back into the new east stand....it should sound AWESOME:thumbsup:

rossi
07-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Not trying to excuse a mediocre performance, but the pitch is the worst I've seen in 45 years going to ER. Players couldn't even keep their feet on the section close to the west stand. Hogg and Stokes both picked up wee injuries because of it - as did Gow I think.
Having said that, if Stokes 'goal' had stood and Benji had scored the pen, it would have been the trouncing Killie deserved.

IWasThere2016
07-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Killie were gash - totally rank rotten, and we should have had more.

The first half was poor - from both sides. We seemed nervous to me.

Best for us were Hanlon, Murray, McBride, Miller and Deeks.

Thought Benji was too 'cool' for his pen.

Thankfully - again - we were blessed with another piece of Deeko's magic! :thumbsup:

Could be a vital 3 points!

Hibby 2005
07-03-2010, 06:24 AM
The pitch doesn't help but then neither does Yogi's team selections and player positions. Riordan is way too deep and wide most of the time and Wotherspoon is far more effective further forward while Galbraith has been used far too little. I also think Bamba and Hanlon should both be playing from the start.

HFC 0-7
07-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Other teams have been coming to easter road and getting the ball under control quickly enough, at times we do it as well. Even when we had time on the ball players seem to get panicked as they actually have options. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of confidence anywhere in the team. Blaming the pitch is just a bad excuse for overall bad performances. If the pitch is bad and yogi feels the team is unable to pass the ball, and then we resort to the long high ball tactic, why does he not put a team on the pitch that is geared for that sort of game, banging the ball up to stokes all the time is pointless. And by the way, yogi is still trying to play the passing game as you can hear him shouting from the dug out, and also the amount of back passes yesterday was because we were trying to pass it but the midfield had very little movement yesterday.

Big90inOz
07-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Killie were rotten and sadly we weren't much better, we are too slow and too small to play the ariel stuff. We are far too narrow allowing the opposition full backs to tuck in and help. We continually try to play through the centre of the opposition defence which makes it easy for them to pack the centre limiting oppertunities. Stokes needs help and we need someone who can take the ball wide and get past the fullback ( Galbraith ??? )
How many times did we turn a move on the edge of their box into a passback to Stack :bitchy: Keeping possesion is all well and good but sometimes you have to take a chance and try something different or you become too predictable, at this time we are so predictable.
If there isn't a spot up front for Riordan then we would be better of with someone who can play left midfield as sadly once again we got very little from him in an attacking sense. I know he got the goal and a very good important one too BUT he is stranded on the edge and offers very little going forward from that position.
We are getting the ball down in the middle and looking for the pass,it's just a shame the options ahead are so very limited resulting more often than not in a hoof ball in the direction of Stokes.

Jack
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I was speaking to friend of mine who had been listening on the radio and said it must have been a good game, Hibs must have played well. I wish I had 'seen' it on the radio!

Pedantic_Hibee
07-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I was speaking to friend of mine who had been listening on the radio and said it must have been a good game, Hibs must have played well. I wish I had 'seen' it on the radio!

Similarly, I had it on the radio. 11 Brian Kerrs is how I would summarise yesterday, there was a helluva lot of unseen work going on.

jdships
07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Not trying to excuse a mediocre performance, but the pitch is the worst I've seen in 45 years going to ER. Players couldn't even keep their feet on the section close to the west stand. Hogg and Stokes both picked up wee injuries because of it - as did Gow I think.
Having said that, if Stokes 'goal' had stood and Benji had scored the pen, it would have been the trouncing Killie deserved.

A commonsense post if I may say so :thumbsup:
So many of our "out of work managers" posting on here would do well to "read , digest and think about " your post

:top marks

Green'nWhite
07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
The pitch doesn't help but then neither does Yogi's team selections and player positions. Riordan is way too deep and wide most of the time and Wotherspoon is far more effective further forward while Galbraith has been used far too little. I also think Bamba and Hanlon should both be playing from the start.

Totally agree, Riordan needs to be sat within shooting distance at all times as face it he struggles to run let alone from deep past players and into a shooting area. Riordan and Stokes combo up front has to be worth a try.:agree:

It is also so frustrating week after week watching the undeniable talents of Wotherspoon wasting away in defence. We have more than enough natural defenders to be able to come up with a back four without resorting to the inclusion of midfielders?? Similarly the failure to give Galbraith more than 10 minutes on the park, surely the lad has showed enough in the little game time he has had to warant a start or at least a run in the team. Two talented natural wingers one sat in defence and the the other sat on the bench.:grr:

Another massive problem we have is height in the midfield. Bamba at 6'3 has been awful in defence since the ANC although Hanlon has looked assured. Either play them both or is it maybe worth trying Bamba in midfield again with Hanlon at centre half.

With the greatest of respect to Yogi as he is a fantastic guy and remains the correct man for the job. A bad park does not help our style that is true, but I do think it masks our real problem. That is we are yet to field the correctly balanced team set up in the correct shape with players playing in positions that get the best out of their ability.