PDA

View Full Version : Penalties

Malthibby
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Riordan & Benji want to take them but they miss.
Give Stokes the ball, he looks as if he could take them with hid eyes shut. Until he misses, of course.
Thought Benji put in a decent shift until then.
GG

shamo9
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Benji had every right to take it considering he both won the penalty and scored his last few kicks.

From now on though it should definitely be Stokes until(if) he misses.

MussyHibby
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
For a guy that hasn't played much for us lately, whereas Stokes plays every week and scored from the spot last week, it was a no brainer for me, surely Stokes takes the PK.

However, as Benji grabbed the ball I guess it was his to take.:confused:

The bigger picture for me though is why is Hughes or Hogg, as captain, not deciding? It's the same for free kicks in and around the box usually........DR, AS, MZ all clamouring to take. Should the captain, especially for PK's not assert his authority.......if he has any?:wink:

Hainan Hibs
06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Get Stack to take it. Goalies put their foot right through the ball, he'll burst the net.

Or hit row Z:greengrin

shamo9
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
For a guy that hasn't played much for us lately, whereas Stokes plays every week and scored from the spot last week, it was a no brainer for me, surely Stokes takes the PK.

The bigger picture for me though is why is Hughes or Hogg, as captain, not deciding? It's the same for free kicks in and around the box usually........DR, AS, MZ all clamouring to take. Should the captain, especially for PK's not assert his authority.......if he has any?:wink:

It's got nothing to do with Hogg. You should always give it to the guy who feels most confident at that moment, not someone who you've selected beforehand.

Benji won it and felt confident - don't have a problem with him taking it. Sure, he missed, but that can happen to the best of them.

SneakersO'Toole
06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how professional footballers can take such bad penalties.

Benji's today was a feeble attempt. Just plain lazy. Stokes last week wasn't much better.

If you want to execute a penalty look at how Boyd banged it away against us at Ibrox a few weeks back.

If a keeper makes a tremendous save to the bottom corner then fine, supporters can accept it. But when a keeper barely has to move to save a penalty that player doesnt deserve to take the next one IMO.

MussyHibby
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
It's got nothing to do with Hogg. You should always give it to the guy who feels most confident at that moment, not someone who you've selected beforehand.

Benji won it and felt confident - don't have a problem with him taking it. Sure, he missed, but that can happen to the best of them.

Disagree with you mate. Not saying Hogg should decide but he should be involved. PK scored last week by Stokes. Why doesn't he take it? Benji wants to take it. Discussion/involvemnt with all 3.:agree:

If Only
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Stokes is our top goalscorer, at most clubs the top goal scorer normally takes the penalties, that is why they are usually top goalscorers simple as that. Look at Boyd for instance. Its not really rocket science is it.

Bayern Bru
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
With all due respect lads, it's a football game. There can't be 5 minutes of discussion about who takes what free kick or penalty. I've never been one to agree with the whole 'One for free kicks, one for penalties' (not since Russell and Franck, anyway).

I say just let whoever feels most confident take it. If Deeks thinks he can smack in a 25yd free kick into the postage stamp corner, let him go for it. If Benji thinks he can score the penalty then let him do it. If he fails, then that's football, as others have said.

truehibernian
06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Their sub keeper had a couple of good stops today as nearly always seems to be the way when they have a keeper carried off. He fortunately looked like a cross between Andy McNeill and Frodo's mate in Lord of The Rings.......with a hint of ginger. Looked like he has sampled a fair few Killie pies whilst warming the bench too.

Ryan91
06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
according to my dad, sitting in the lower west, the keeper was off his line when Benji took his penalty. pretty sure that if caught, the penalty is retaken, or i am i just making that up?

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how professional footballers can take such bad penalties.

Benji's today was a feeble attempt. Just plain lazy. Stokes last week wasn't much better.

If you want to execute a penalty look at how Boyd banged it away against us at Ibrox a few weeks back.

If a keeper makes a tremendous save to the bottom corner then fine, supporters can accept it. But when a keeper barely has to move to save a penalty that player doesnt deserve to take the next one IMO.

So you are now complaining about a penalty that was scored then? :rolleyes: We really are hitting new heights with this one.Stokes last week was much better as it went in,sending the keeper the wrong way aswell.You are hard to please.

hibees59
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
The keeper can move along the line before the penalty, but he can't move forward!

JE89
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
according to my dad, sitting in the lower west, the keeper was off his line when Benji took his penalty. pretty sure that if caught, the penalty is retaken, or i am i just making that up?

Every keeper does it these days. Not allowed but rarely reprimanded.

Part/Time Supporter
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Benji has been a good penalty taker for Hibs. Yogi said last week after the game that Benji was the designated taker but he was on the bench, so Stokes took that one. I don't get the beef about that one.

The referee should have ordered a retake as the goalkeeper clearly jumped forward of the line as it was being taken. But that would have required that clown to make an intelligent decision. Where are the SFA finding these people?

Jack
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM

I think their keeper flattered to deceive, good saves but a bit theatrical.

You're right about the keepers position/movement at a penalty but in the event of a miss or save a buffoon of a ref like the one today is unlikely to have it retaken.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Surely we cant blame Hogg for this as well?!?!? Benji's pens have bn good, he won it so therefore should take it(imo) weve not got time for Hogg to jog up the park and have a discussion. I agree it looks daft wen our players are literally pulling the ball out each others hands at times, but on the flip side its a positive that weve got players with enough confidence to want to take things. Benji took our pen after coming off the bench against Aberdeen and slotted it away.

hibee_girl
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
We should have one penalty taker, Stokes, and he should take them if he is on the pitch whether he won it or not.

You just knew Benji would miss it today, was a very weak effort.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Players fighting amongst themselves over who takes the penalty is the sort of thing you see in amateur football. Stokes has been taking them and scoring so surely he should have taken the penalty regardless who was brought down. It up to Yogi to designate a penaty taker and unless he takes cold feet and doesn`t fancy it , he takes them. This could have cost us big time today.

Removed
06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
We should have one penalty taker, Stokes, and he should take them if he is on the pitch whether he won it or not.

How did you know :confused:

He took a penalty a few weeks ago and couldn't have placed it better iirc. I have no problem with Benji taking pens.

hibee_girl
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
How did you know :confused:

He took a penalty a few weeks ago and couldn't have placed it better iirc. I have no problem with Benji taking pens.

Just a feeling :greengrin

Removed
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Their sub keeper had a couple of good stops today as nearly always seems to be the way when they have a keeper carried off. He fortunately looked like a cross between Andy McNeill and Frodo's mate in Lord of The Rings.......with a hint of ginger. Looked like he has sampled a fair few Killie pies whilst warming the bench too.

:agree:

http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/stills/H/hair-bear5.jpg

http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/hair-bears.mp3 (http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/hair-bears.mp3)

© Beer Monster :greengrin

jiggerman
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Its about players having the 'killer instinct' (like Boyd does) and Stokes is the only player at Hibs that has that - he should take them.

TornadoHibby
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Absolute nonsense IMO! :cool2:

Up till the keeper (illegally) saved the penalty, and until Galbraith came on, Benji was the only one of our players who looked like creating anything like a goal or even a goal chance! :agree:

We had better buck up as a team before next week or else we'll not be going to Hampden this season! :confused:

Removed
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Its about players having the 'killer instinct' (like Boyd does) and Stokes is the only player at Hibs that has that - he should take them.

Killer instinct :faf:

So has Stokes never missed a penalty? To save you googling it, yes he has. No one is perfect from 12 yards

ronaldo7
06-03-2010, 08:12 PM
So you are now complaining about a penalty that was scored then? :rolleyes: We really are hitting new heights with this one.Stokes last week was much better as it went in,sending the keeper the wrong way aswell.You are hard to please.

:hijack:

He also has difficulty deciding if he should pay a parking ticket:greengrin

TornadoHibby
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM

You should pay more attention to detail before posting stuff like this IMO! :agree:

Stokes' penalty last week would have been saved easily had the keeper not chosen to dive to his right as it was only slightly to the right of centre looking at the goal when it crossed the line! :agree:

There was no deception at play from Stokes' run up or striking action "persuading" the keeper to dive to his right either IMO! :wink:

Nakedmanoncrack
06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Players fighting amongst themselves over who takes the penalty is the sort of thing you see in amateur football. Stokes has been taking them and scoring so surely he should have taken the penalty regardless who was brought down. It up to Yogi to designate a penaty taker and unless he takes cold feet and doesn`t fancy it , he takes them. This could have cost us big time today.

:agree:

hibsbollah
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
If I remember correctly after Benji's winning penalty a few weeks back everyone was saying what a great penalty taker he was and how lucky we are to have him:yawn:

jiggerman
06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
65db - "Killer instinct

So has Stokes never missed a penalty? To save you googling it, yes he has. No one is perfect from 12 yards"

You dont get it mate. Killer instinct = clinical.

J-C
06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Poor penaltyfrom a guy that has buried every other one he's taken, cheer up guys it happens.:greengrin

Removed
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
You dont get it mate. Killer instinct = clinical.

Oh I get it all right.

Up till today I'd have said that Benji is clinical from the pen spot, I had 100% confidence in him scoring unlike some who had "feelings".

What's Stokes' penalty success rate then?

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
You should pay more attention to detail before posting stuff like this IMO! :agree:

Stokes' penalty last week would have been saved easily had the keeper not chosen to dive to his right as it was only slightly to the right of centre looking at the goal when it crossed the line! :agree:

There was no deception at play from Stokes' run up or striking action "persuading" the keeper to dive to his right either IMO! :wink:

I paid full attention thanks.If i never had baws id be a burd,but i have so im not.IF is a big word.The keeper didnt dive to his right so it was a great penalty.I take penaltys for my team and look for the keeper moving before going the other way.Maybe then,just maybe, Stokes does the same.Absolute nonsense to say a scoring penalty is a poor one.IMO

majorhibs
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Penalties, a free shot at goal from 12 yards, are FAR too important to just let "whoever feels confident" to take, this is a real hindrance to a team who have ambition, lets face it penalties should be scored the vast majority of times, and were talking about pro footballers here, there should be a designated taker in place long before saturday, and that player, knowing he is on them, should be spending part of his time getting paid to be a footballer, practising taking penalties, scoring more than the opposition gets you 3 points, and penalties are about the easiest way to scoring.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Penalties, a free shot at goal from 12 yards, are FAR too important to just let "whoever feels confident" to take, this is a real hindrance to a team who have ambition, lets face it penalties should be scored the vast majority of times, and were talking about pro footballers here, there should be a designated taker in place long before saturday, and that player, knowing he is on them, should be spending part of his time getting paid to be a footballer, practising taking penalties, scoring more than the opposition gets you 3 points, and penalties are about the easiest way to scoring.

:agree:Absolutely, to be honest it's embarrasing, in recent weeks we've seen players squabbling over who is going to take free kicks, then this today, it's amateurish & unacceptable.

shamo9
06-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Poor penaltyfrom a guy that has buried every other one he's taken, cheer up guys it happens.:greengrin

Naw, he missed one against Gretna at Easter Road when we won 4-2 in the beginning of the 2007/08 season:wink:

TornadoHibby
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I paid full attention thanks.If i never had baws id be a burd,but i have so im not.IF is a big word.The keeper didnt dive to his right so it was a great penalty.I take penaltys for my team and look for the keeper moving before going the other way.Maybe then,just maybe, Stokes does the same.Absolute nonsense to say a scoring penalty is a poor one.IMO

The point I was making big guy was a simple one and was that there was little difference between the style and placement of the Stokes pen from last week and Benji's one from yesterday. The only difference was that the keeper chose the wrong side to dive to last week and the right one yesterday! :cool2:

That is all! :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Get Stack to take it. Goalies put their foot right through the ball, he'll burst the net.

Or hit row Z:greengrin

I thought that Stack's kicking yesterday was excellent and would be worth a shout for taking penalties. Anything into either corner high up is a goal if hit hard enough. Even if you told the keeper before hand that is where it is going. Stack would need to welly it so that if it is a miss, it takes ages to get the ball back and give hm time to get back in goal. The way Benji took that yesterday was like a show-boat or a fashion accessory and should only be attempted if you are three or four up and the result is out of sight.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2010, 11:48 AM

How?? :confused: No pro player should miss a pen but it happens(unless ur Alan Shearer). Deeks is far and away our best finisher and knocks free kicks in from 30 yards but missed two in a row. Benji's last few have been good so I wasnt worried about yest.

O'Rourke3
07-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought that Stack's kicking yesterday was excellent and would be worth a shout for taking penalties. Anything into either corner high up is a goal if hit hard enough. Even if you told the keeper before hand that is where it is going. Stack would need to welly it so that if it is a miss, it takes ages to get the ball back and give hm time to get back in goal. The way Benji took that yesterday was like a show-boat or a fashion accessory and should only be attempted if you are three or four up and the result is out of sight.

Been down the keeper route with Goram. As a previous poster pointed out - no-one scores 100%. Seeing a fat goalie struggle to get back 80yds having missed is almost as bad as the feeling of seeing him miss one. Personally like the Franny Lee school, very hard, very fast and in the corner. "Giving the keeper the eyes" looks great when he's gone the wrong way, missing makes the kicker look like a prize erse. I'm sure Pat Nevin's famous attempt is out there on you Tube somewhere.

MussyHibby
07-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Said that to my buddy just before he took it. :agree: It felt like "one of those days" for me.

Fwiw, Benji may have scored a few in his time but has he done it with one step back and then hittng it. Thought it was a poor effort, verging on arrogant. He had a bit of kidology with their keeper at the PK and the keeper won!

Jim44
07-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I can't remember where I read it but it was after Benji last scored from the spot. He himself implied, stupidly I think, that he always hit the ball to the keeper's left and the reporter jokingly said something along the lines that all opponent keepers should remember that fact for future reference. Lo and behold the keeper dived to his left and saved it yesterday. I'm sure this will be noted and in future Benji should either mix it up a bit at penelties or somebody else should take them.

Kojock
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Stokes is our top goalscorer, at most clubs the top goal scorer normally takes the penalties, that is why they are usually top goalscorers simple as that. Look at Boyd for instance. Its not really rocket science is it.

No he doesn't John Brownlie was the Hibs penalty taker in the Turnbull days and we had numerous players who scored every week.

Judas Iscariot
07-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Get Deek back on them :agree:

greenlex
07-03-2010, 08:10 PM
No he doesn't John Brownlie was the Hibs penalty taker in the Turnbull days and we had numerous players who scored every week.
Never forgive him for that miss against Liverpool!!!:grr: Possibliy the worst Penalty I have ever seen.

Kojock
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Never forgive him for that miss against Liverpool!!!:grr: Possibliy the worst Penalty I have ever seen.

Remember that night well. I was in the old East Terrace and it p!shed rain all night. I actually had a dream the night before the game that Hibs would win one nil and I knew that Brownlie would miss. Never had a dream like that since.