PDA

View Full Version : The pitch (merged)

Bob Box Fish
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
What a disgrace, whoever is in charge of that should be sacked!

Petrie's Tache
06-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah, because the Ground staff can be held accountable for the very bad weather or the funds required to keep it a bowling green!

skipster7
06-03-2010, 04:16 PM
dont think the guys working on the pitch can do any more according to yogi.been all over the press the last few days saying you cant legislate for the weather we've had.as craig paterson says on the radio, turnbull would say" you are a better team than them so it wont matter if you play them on the beach or in the high st" so as not to give the players any excuse to fall back on.:wink:

Bob Box Fish
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm sure in this day and age there are ways and means to maintain a pitch.....

Ari Gold
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
It's bad aye, last week down the wings and at the goal mouth it looked shocking. Take it was no better today?

HibbyKeith
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
was pretty bad today.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2749/sam0164t.jpg

Malthibby
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
THe pitch is a shambles, but it ain't the groundfolks' fault - not said elsewhere that it will be sorted in conjunction with widening it & the club are only spending enough to get it to the end of the season?

Ari Gold
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
not quite Fir Park bad... but it looks pretty awful.

Bob Box Fish
06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
not quite Fir Park bad... but it looks pretty awful.

Its certainly getting there though

scoopyboy
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Scoopyboy understands the groundstaff have not been blameless in all this.

I believe the snow was removed from the pitch by putting the water system on thus leaving the pitch waterlogged and pretty soft.

hibbytam
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Yeah, but they're expensive. Given that the whole thing's getting extended and relayed at the end of the season, there's very little that can be done just now.

scoopyboy
06-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but they're expensive. Given that the whole thing's getting extended and relayed at the end of the season, there's very little that can be done just now.

Scoopyboy also undestands the pitch will not be from turf but sown from seed.

MussyHibby
06-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Harsh mate, trust you're perfect at your job every day and weren't affected by the worst Winter weather in 30 years? Never late, never missing from work over the last wee while no?

Pitch is poor, no doubt but to make it personal is unfair.

hibbytam
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Scoopyboy also undestands the pitch will not be from turf but sown from seed.

For those in the dark, what difference does this make for pitch quality?

bubblesmorrison
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
pitch was never like this when wee tam mccourt was incharge :wink:

scoopyboy
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
For those in the dark, what difference does this make for pitch quality?

I'm not really an expert on the subject but I think it is to do with the depth of the roots.

Turf I think is only a couple of inches deep max but if the seeds are planted deep then it gets a stronger base on the pitch.

I stand to be corrected on this.

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
It's bad aye, last week down the wings and at the goal mouth it looked shocking. Take it was no better today?

The 6yard box area has been relaid and was done so before last week. how do you get that?

Davy Mac
06-03-2010, 05:26 PM

It's been poor for a few seasons now.

For your information, there was an article recently (Scott Lindsay I think )confirming they are well aware of the situation for quite some time but it was not worth the expense to rectify it until the new stand was built.

Fully expect an 'Emirates' type surface next season :greengrin but I'm sure us Hibees will find something else to whinge about......:cool2:

HibeeUnderwood
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
pitch was never like this when wee tam mccourt was incharge :wink:

Is he still with us?

:faf:

Bob Box Fish
06-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Harsh mate, trust you're perfect at your job every day and weren't affected by the worst Winter weather in 30 years? Never late, never missing from work over the last wee while no?

Pitch is poor, no doubt but to make it personal is unfair.

Not harsh when you make an 8hr round trip to watch a football match on a quagmire!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Got a feeling this will come back to one person - ROD!:wink:

However, we "outsourced" this is my understanding.

One of the benefits of outsourcing should be more for less. Ie. you have access to the technology without the cost e.g. the guys who do it spread investment across a number of clients).

However everything has it's price. And perhaps the (logical) option was to invest the money once the new pitch and stand are in place - why invest in something thats being ripped up anyway?

Ok so looking to the future - I note that Yogi said that we cannot afford the lighting solutions etc. that the OF can. Is this out of reach to us even through an "outsourced" arrangement?

What we need to do it team up with L&B finest and commandeer the halogen(?) lamps the "growers" are using for the ganja.

From a wider perspective, is the decree from the SPL re. undersoil heating sufficient and if not what else should they stipulate? Or are these extremely exceptional circumstances that are soo rare its not worth basing things on?

.Sean.
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Is he still with us?

Yes he is. What do you find so funny about that? I think he's the kitman.

Who maintains the pitch by the way, and why does Tam not look after it anymore?

HibeeUnderwood
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes he is. What do you find so funny about that? I think he's the kitman.

Who maintains the pitch by the way, and why does Tam not look after it anymore?

I did see Mr McCourt dotting in and out the club shop with strips quite a bit last season so that kind of makes sense.

I havn't seen it this season so I assumed Yogi had punted him.

Its kind of hard to describe in words how its funny :greengrin

Yeah we should get Tam back on the pitch and bring back Jim McCafferty as kit man :thumbsup:

EasterRoad4Ever
06-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Riordan was very vocal midweek about his views on thr piytch and how it was affecting the team. Then Yogi came out the next day and criticised Riordan for complaining.

I'm 100% behind Deek on this one. The pitch is an absolute shambles. If we have people working 24/7 on the pitch then it just ain't working. Dig it up and start again asap.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I did see Mr McCourt dotting in and out the club shop with strips quite a bit last season so that kind of makes sense.

Yeah we should get Tam back on the pitch and bring back Jim McCafferty as kit man :thumbsup:

Call me traditionalist but AFAIK Tam has a lengthy connection to Hibs, it maybe just casual words and me being a bit of a pedant in this instance but to refer to someone with such loyalty and longterm service as being "punted" is disrespectful.

Pedant over. :greengrin

HibeeUnderwood
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Call me traditionalist but AFAIK Tam has a lengthy connection to Hibs, it maybe just casual words and me being a bit of a pedant in this instance but to refer to someone with such loyalty and longterm service as being "punted" is disrespectful.

Pedant over. :greengrin

Awww I was only having a laugh :devil:

I'll watch what I say in future :duck:

WHUHibs
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I am writing to Hibs this week about our Desso Grassmaster system.

We do the emirates etc and i will try and see if they will at least visit the City of Manchester stadium to look at it and see if I can work out a deal that suits Hibs and deonst lose us money.

Keep you posted..

ruthven_raiders
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
It's been poor for a few seasons now.

For your information, there was an article recently (Scott Lindsay I think )confirming they are well aware of the situation for quite some time but it was not worth the expense to rectify it until the new stand was built.

Fully expect an 'Emirates' type surface next season :greengrin but I'm sure us Hibees will find something else to whinge about......:cool2:

the other thread on state of pitch mention the desso grassmaster system, in place at arsenal, more expensive but maybe over the long run more beneficial..............................are you in the know that this type of system is being looked at:wink:

Golden Bear
06-03-2010, 06:42 PM

We do the emirates etc and i will try and see if they will at least visit the City of Manchester stadium to look at it and see if I can work out a deal that suits Hibs and deonst lose us money.

Keep you posted..

I'm sure Rod will see you all right with the cauld half time pies and the luke warm watered down Bovril.

:wink:

.Sean.
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Keep you posted..
:aok:

GreenCastle
06-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Can only see it getting slightly better with improved weather.

In the mean time they aren't going to spend much on it as it will be ripped up at the end of the season.

Does Tam not look after East Mains now ?

MSK
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM

In the mean time they aren't going to spend much on it as it will be ripped up at the end of the season.

Does Tam not look after East Mains now ?Tam takes care of quite a few things down East Mains ...as Scott Lindsay said when i was on a visit .."Tam is first man in early morning & last man oot late at night" ...:greengrin

NaeTechnoHibby
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Oi! You! Tam's been around since "gon'yontime" and he got promoted :thumbsup:

However the pitch was nearly always good in his day :agree:

I hope we are getting a refund from whoever deals with it now and in the future too :agree:

As a bit of a simplistic gardener, I think the ground will benefit from the light that the East denied, and should allow seed propogation, hence why we would do that :agree: Lets hope for a decent (not too hot or cold summer) and we could have some decent grass :agree:

Toaods
06-03-2010, 09:19 PM
..well mine.

Hughes is off his nut if he thinks that heap of dead moss is acceptable.

Ari Gold
06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
The 6yard box area has been relaid and was done so before last week. how do you get that?

Sorry meant to say the box, Hungover...

From the west last week the area in and aorund the box looked pretty dreadful, could see it Especially when it came to Nish... bobbling about in between his legs a few times.

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry meant to say the box, Hungover...

From the west last week the area in and aorund the box looked pretty dreadful, could see it Especially when it came to Nish... bobbling about in between his legs a few times.

:agree: A few back passes to Stack today and i just had visions of the ball bobbling over his foot!!

Ari Gold
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
:agree: A few back passes to Stack today and i just had visions of the ball bobbling over his foot!!

Haha.... Big Sols passes/crossovers?

Yeah it's probably dented confidence a bit with a few of them not trusting the surface or whatever... hopefully though... the worst of it's passed.

iwasthere1972
06-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Is he still with us?

According to Tam's sister he now works at East Mains.

EVENTUALLY
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM

There is no point in highlighting the ability of our "Maverick" players and then asking them to turn it on on a very poor surface. Anyway what about us, as far as I'm concerned the fans are being short changed. There is no doubt that the surface has a massive effect on the players ability to display their talents. I don't accept that it is the same for both teams. Opposition players of lesser ability whose team tactics to play long balls are not inconvenienced to the same extent as a side which is set up to play the ball on the deck. A poor surface is a leveler.
We have acres of spare grass land at East Mains which could be cultivated specifically to returf Easter Road as the surface deteriorates.
And why not invest in an artifical sunlight sytem. There are players whose place in the squad is frankly a waste of expense.... Thicot and Cregg might as well not be at Easter Road for the amount of time JH sends them on to the park and their salaries would go some way to offsetting the acquistion and running costs of a sunlighting rack.
The board IMHO and JH are generally doing well but the maintenance of the pitch needs urgent review.

BEEJ
07-03-2010, 11:07 AM

But with the East Stand down there will be even more light on it than usual during the spring. :greengrin