PDA

View Full Version : Teams with no particular rivals?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Are there any teams without a "special" rival?

Hibs Hearts. Aberdeen Rangers. Rangers Celtic. That sort of thing.

whereswallace?
06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Livington

ScottB
06-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Gretna :devil:

lyonhibs
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Joke teams with no history :agree: :agree:

CropleyWasGod
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Are there any teams without a "special" rival?

Hibs Hearts. Aberdeen Rangers. Rangers Celtic. That sort of thing.

You been listening to Danny Baker this morning?

If you haven't.....

Charlton :agree:

lyonhibs
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
You been listening to Danny Baker this morning?

If you haven't.....

Charlton :agree:

I suspect Crystal Palace fans might have something to say about that...........

CropleyWasGod
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM

.. which was the gist of the discussion on the show.

bobbyhibs1983
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
didn't heartz fans claim that we, as in hibs are no longer there rivals?:devil:

Very intresting quiz question i think

James.
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Gretna :devil:

My QOS supporting mate had a big dislike for them pretty sure their games against Gretna were well attended.

What about Queen's Park? I know there's Celtic/Rangers Partick/Clyde rivalries but what about the spiders?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I was listening to Baker. Don't know why cos 5 live on a Saturday morning is woeful. Fighting talk makes me angry. All that forced laughter for joker that don't even make me smile.

Mag7
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Aberdeen.

They're on their own up there as a one-team city. Yeh, there's a loose 'rivalry' with Dundee Utd but I've never really bought the 'north-east derby' tag. Dundee's actually closer to Edinburgh than it is to Aberdeen.

Imagine what a great city Edinburgh would be with just Hibs in it. Bliss.

CropleyWasGod
06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Aberdeen.

They're on their own up there as a one-team city. Yeh, there's a loose 'rivalry' with Dundee Utd but I've never really bought the 'north-east derby' tag. Dundee's actually closer to Edinburgh than it is to Aberdeen.

Sorry, I just cannot agree with that. Football is, to a very large extent, about rivalry.

Most teams don't win much, so the next best thing is to do better than your rivals. For me, football would lose something without that rivalry...

CropleyWasGod
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
My QOS supporting mate had a big dislike for them pretty sure their games against Gretna were well attended.

What about Queen's Park? I know there's Celtic/Rangers Partick/Clyde rivalries but what about the spiders?

The Spiders were the original, so they are entitled to see everyone else as the Wee Team.

Bishop Hibee
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Don't know any teams with no rivals but plenty that are one-sided. Middlesbrough always claim Sunderland/Newcastle as rivals but these two concentrate on each other. Same with Leicester and Derby where Derby would regard Forest as far bigger rivals.

Mind you, who are Stirling Albion's rivals?

Agree Danny Baker's show is dreadful. Bring back Eamonn Holmes.

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Hearts. On a different plane from everyone else.

TRC
06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't know any teams with no rivals but plenty that are one-sided. Middlesbrough always claim Sunderland/Newcastle as rivals but these two concentrate on each other. Same with Leicester and Derby where Derby would regard Forest as far bigger rivals.

Hearts soon enough :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
didn't heartz fans claim that we, as in hibs are no longer there rivals?:devil:

Very intresting quiz question i think

Hearts soon enough :thumbsup:

Beat me to it.:greengrin

HibeeUnderwood
06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I reckon teams in the north are rivals with teams in the south due to all that expensive travelling :cool2:

hibsbollah
06-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Thats quite a good shout. Boro's games with Sunderland/Newcastle are a 'derby' only according to the media, theres no big rivalry there. Hartlepool and Darlington is the big rivalry on Teesside.

Boro; 'No one Hates Us, They Don't Care':agree:

hibsdaft
06-03-2010, 03:05 PM
st johnstone? they hate dundee but is the feeling mutual ?

Killiehibbie
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Berwick Rangers

Keith_M
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Alloa.

blueisthecolour
06-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Aberdeen.

What is the rivalry with Aberdeen and Dundee utd, I thought this new firm tag was just to try spice things up as Dundee went down, but Aberdeen have a rivalry(hatered maybe a better word) with us as stated in first post.

clerriehibs
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
st johnstone? they hate dundee but is the feeling mutual ?

dundee fans hate st johnstone fans who get above themselves and see Dundee as being rivals.

Pete
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
What is the rivalry with Aberdeen and Dundee utd, I thought this new firm tag was just to try spice things up as Dundee went down, but Aberdeen have a rivalry(hatered maybe a better word) with us as stated in first post.

It comes from the early eighties when they were the two best teams in Scotland and winning lots of things...

...while 10-15000 of you were rattling about in your shiny new ground.

ArabHibee
06-03-2010, 10:49 PM

And you say that with such proudness. :yawn:

blueisthecolour
06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
And you say that with such proudness. :yawn:

How can you tell if someone is saying something with proudness looking at what I typed in?:confused:

You just looking to argue with someone?

Hibercelona
06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Hibs?

I seem to recall a team called "hearts" being our rivals.

But they kind of just floated away from our standards. :wink:

Sir David Gray
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Aberdeen
Falkikrk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Thought that everybody hated you, but you didn't care?

blueisthecolour
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Thought that everybody hated you, but you didn't care?

Thats true:wink:

Hibercelona
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Aberdeen
Falkirk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren

Falkirk and Dunfermline have a pretty strong rivalry. :agree:

greenlex
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Livington
I think you will find that Livingston and ICT have a fair bit of rivalry nurtured as both teams came up through the divisions almost together.

ArabHibee
06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
How can you tell if someone is saying something with proudness looking at what I typed in?:confused:

You just looking to argue with someone?

I have special powers. :witch:

blueisthecolour
06-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Aberdeen
Falkikrk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren

These 2 have a rivary

Also St Mirren and Morton

Kilmarnock and Ayr

Sir David Gray
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
These 2 have a rivary

Also St Mirren and Morton

Kilmarnock and Ayr

I was meaning more teams that do not have a city/town rival.

St Mirren's closest rival is Rangers and Kilmarnock and Ayr are 13 miles apart.

Diclonius
07-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Aberdeen
Falkikrk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren

Aberdeen: Dundee United.
Falkirk: Dunfermline.
Hamilton: Motherwell.
Kilmarnock: Ayr United.
Motherwell: Airdrie United.
St Johnstone: Dundee.
St Mirren: Morton.

erin go bragh
07-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Aberdeen
Falkikrk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren
hamilton v well is a derby
blackburn dont have a derby
killie v ayr

~

Borders Hibby
07-03-2010, 06:58 AM
killie v ayr

~

Blackburn is a good example.

What about Wigan? I dont even think there fans care, get a free ticket for the footy with every rugby league ticket bought.:greengrin

Borders Hibby
07-03-2010, 06:58 AM

What about Wigan? I dont even think there fans care, get a free ticket for the footy with every rugby league ticket bought.:greengrin

Or Hull???

givescotlandfreedom
07-03-2010, 07:23 AM
killie v ayr

~

Blackburn's would be Burnley no?

stu in nottingham
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Or Hull???

The Humber Derby with Scunthorpe United. Grimsby Town are other local rivals too.

Caversham Green
07-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Reading are the only league club in Berkshire. Chelsea and Fulham are probably the nearest clubs, but Oxford United (35 miles away) are the hated club - probably the Maxwell factor. Swindon get a fair bit of stick as well.

.Sean.
07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
killie v ayr

~
Tell that to the Burnley fans.

.Sean.
07-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Reading are the only league club in Berkshire. Chelsea and Fulham are probably the nearest clubs, but Oxford United (35 miles away) are the hated club - probably the Maxwell factor. Swindon get a fair bit of stick as well.
Off topic I know, but funny that Chelsea play in Fulham and Fulham play in Chelsea, eh? :greengrin

LancashireHibby
07-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Blackburn is a dreadful example, sorry. Burnley-Blackburn games are up there in the top five in the UK, I reckon, and Blackburn-Bolton games can get pretty tasty as well.

As for Wigan, got first hand experience of their hatred for Bolton, though it's nowhere near the same in return. They used to have a bit of a rivalry with Preston back in the lower divisions as well. The one thing about the North West is that you're never short of a derby game.

Hibbyradge
07-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Crystal Palace's rivals are Brighton, believe it or not.

Iggy Pope
07-03-2010, 08:32 PM
killie v ayr

~

Blackburn have derbies against Burnley Wigan and Bolton.

seanraff07
07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Middlesborough, they could class Newcastle as their rivals but Newcastle's main rivals are Sunderland.

Pete
07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Crystal Palace's rivals are Brighton, believe it or not.

I don't think Place give two hoots about Brighton.

Brighton just hate palace because they are the nearest rival.

Hibbyradge
07-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think Place give two hoots about Brighton.

Brighton just hate palace because they are the nearest rival.

I used to watch Palace when I lived in London and was told that Brighton were their rivals.

That was the late 80's early 90's so they've proabbaly moved on.

MacBean
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Alloa Athletic - BIG rivalry! actually Alloa have a supporters club dedicated to a 7-0 win they had over SA!
scoreline sounds familiar eh :wink:

MacBean
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Aberdeen
Falkikrk
Hamilton
Killmarnock
Motherwell
St Johnstone
St Mirren

massive rivalry with der hun!!
they used to have a big one with us back in the casual days, can say there is a wee spark there

ST Johnstone HATE dundee and to a lesser extent Utd.
Hamilton, Motherwell & Killie are seen as rivalries & Derbies

Falkirk with Dunfermline

Not sure about St Mirren though? Partick?

.Sean.
08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
they used to have a big one with us back in the casual days, can say there is a wee spark there

Falkirk with Dunfermline

St Mirren definately have a big rivalry with Morton. Partick and Clyde aswell I think?

.Sean.
08-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Falkirk with Dunfermline

Also, one of my best friends is actually a Motherwell die-hard. Their Derby is with Airdrie, not Hamilton, although there is a wee rivalry betweeen the two sides.

The_Todd
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Livingston. A team nobody could really care about either way.

I don't suppose ICT have any real meaningful rivalry either.

.Sean.
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Livingston. A team nobody could really care about either way.

I don't suppose ICT have any real meaningful rivalry either.
Rivalry with Ross County, no?

The_Todd
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Rivalry with Ross County, no?

Of course... silly me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-03-2010, 05:04 PM
blackburn dont have a derby Blackburn have a huge rivalry with Burnley. What about Carlisle? I remember being in a boozer outside Preston Station when PNE were playing Blackpool. Not much love between those 2!

Rory89
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
killie v ayr

~

Blackburn is in Lancashire so have lots of teams nearby, and their biggest game is against Burnley. Blackburn v Burnley is a derby, not the same place of course but still a derby.

Also traditionally Motherwell are rivals with Airdrieonians/Airdrie. The most pathetic club are Aberdeen, they think they have a rivalries with Rangers, Dundee United, Hearts etc but nobody cares. It's a bit like Motherwell singing that song about us and turning into diet huns when we play them, when we don't care about them at all.

I must admit I'm surprised most people here don't seem to realise Morton and St Mirren are rivals.

Mixu62
08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Stranraer? Miles from anywhere. They'd probably claim QoS as their rivals but Dumfries is a fair hike from Stranraer.

Oh, and someone mentioned Hull earlier but I'm pretty sure they get a bit mental when playing Grimsby.

Dunbar Hibee
08-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Stoke?

Removed
08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Stoke?

You obviously don't know any Stoke supporters. Their rivals are defo Port Vale - hate them as much as we hate the Yams.

I only know cos I have one at my work who travels up to Edinburgh every week.

Dunbar Hibee
08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
You obviously don't know any Stoke supporters. Their rivals are defo Port Vale - hate them as much as we hate the Yams.

I only know cos I have one at my work who travels up to Edinburgh every week.

It was more of a question than a suggestion mate, always wondered who their rivals were. Port Vale eh? They don't get too play them too often then.:greengrin

Removed
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
It was more of a question than a suggestion mate, always wondered who their rivals were. Port Vale eh? They don't get too play them too often then.:greengrin

It's ok, I wouldn't have known either if it wasn't for my mate at work. No idea the last time they played, or when/if they were in the same division. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Falkirk and Dunfermline have a pretty strong rivalry. :agree:

Aberdeen: Dundee United.
Falkirk: Dunfermline.
Hamilton: Motherwell.
Kilmarnock: Ayr United.
Motherwell: Airdrie United.
St Johnstone: Dundee.
St Mirren: Morton.

In my defence I was a bit :drunk: on Saturday night which may explain the "Falkikrk" and "Killmarnock" in my last post. :greengrin

I was speaking more about teams that don't have a city/town rival. I strongly believe that you can't call a match a derby if it's between two teams from two different places.

However I accept that wasn't what the OP was asking and that two teams don't necessarily need to be from the same town/city in order to be rivals.

With that in mind I'll start again! :greengrin

In terms of Scottish sides, I don't think Peterhead, Dumbarton, Stranraer, Queen of the South, Annan, Elgin or Berwick Rangers have any real rivals.

LancsHibs
09-03-2010, 07:29 AM
In my defence I was a bit :drunk: on Saturday night which may explain the "Falkikrk" and "Killmarnock" in my last post. :greengrin

I was speaking more about teams that don't have a city/town rival. I strongly believe that you can't call a match a derby if it's between two teams from two different places.

However I accept that wasn't what the OP was asking and that two teams don't necessarily need to be from the same town/city in order to be rivals.

With that in mind I'll start again! :greengrin

In terms of Scottish sides, I don't think Peterhead, Dumbarton, Stranraer, Queen of the South, Annan, Elgin or Berwick Rangers have any real rivals.

Berwick Rangers in recent years have built up a rivalry with Cowden. Don't know why, maybe somebody could enlighten us

WellingtonHibby
09-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Blackburn's would be Burnley no?

The Millers Derby is vicious....They hate each other!

WellingtonHibby
09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Stranraer? Miles from anywhere. They'd probably claim QoS as their rivals but Dumfries is a fair hike from Stranraer.

Oh, and someone mentioned Hull earlier but I'm pretty sure they get a bit mental when playing Grimsby.

Grimsby Vs Hull is always tatsty, ditto Scunthorpe

Removed
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM

It's ok, I wouldn't have known either if it wasn't for my mate at work. No idea the last time they played, or when/if they were in the same division. I'll ask him tomorrow.

As soon as I mentioned Port Vale this morning I got a :grr:

8 years since last Potteries derby. They did play in the same division mid to late nineties.

His words ".............but we are the big team in Stoke" :rolleyes:

http://www.footballderbies.com/results/index.php?id=31 (http://www.footballderbies.com/results/index.php?id=31)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potteries_derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potteries_derby)

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Berwick Rangers in recent years have built up a rivalry with Cowden. Don't know why, maybe somebody could enlighten us

Random question here but does anyone know the nearest Scottish/English league club to Berwick Rangers?

I did a bit of research on the nearest club to all the Scottish/English league clubs the other week and I was a bit surprised at some of the answers.

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Random question here but does anyone know the nearest Scottish/English league club to Berwick Rangers?

I did a bit of research on the nearest club to all the Scottish/English league clubs the other week and I was a bit surprised at some of the answers.

It would be either Newcastle or ourselves.

Newcastle 63 miles, Embra 57.

Hermit Crab
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
don't know any teams with no rivals but plenty that are one-sided. Middlesbrough always claim sunderland/newcastle as rivals but these two concentrate on each other. Same with leicester and derby where derby would regard forest as far bigger rivals.

Mind you, who are stirling albion's rivals?

Agree danny baker's show is dreadful. Bring back eamonn holmes.

alloa or stenhousemuir

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
alloa or stenhousemuir

Nope

You're no fun. :na na:

:greengrin

One of your answers is correct...but which one? :hmmm:

Owain_1987
09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Berwick Rangers

They hate everyone because their English :greengrin

Liberal Hibby
09-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Would Methil be nearer to Berwick (as the crow flies)? If so East Fife.

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Scotland.

We like to kid ourselves that Engerlund is our big rival but that's a one sided affair as the English and the Germans see themselves as rivals.

LancsHibs
09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Berwick is 55.8 miles from Leith by car, 63.4m from Newcastle, 84.9m from Annan & 85.5m from Carlisle so their derby is with the Hibees:thumbsup:

jgl07
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Stockport County don't have any real local rivals.

City and United are too many divisions above them, although this wasn't always the case. Altrincham, Hyde United, Ashton, and Droylesden are too far below. The likes of Bury, Rochdale, and Oldham are a fair distance away.

When I used to go there no team stood out as the main opposition. Maybe now Macclesfield are in the League this will have changed?

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Berwick is 55.8 miles from Leith by car, 63.4m from Newcastle, 84.9m from Annan & 85.5m from Carlisle so their derby is with the Hibees:thumbsup:

You're right, it is Hibs but I'm a bit surprised that neither of you considered the big team as an option when you were mentioning how far Edinburgh is from Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

givescotlandfreedom
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Scotland.

We like to kid ourselves that Engerlund is our big rival but that's a one sided affair as the English and the Germans see themselves as rivals.

Interesting, when I lived Germany (admittedly for a much shorter period than you) I was surprised by how un-bitter towards the English football team and the English in general Germans were. It could be because I was in the west (near Cologne) but I found most of them saw the Dutch as their real rivals.

Rory89
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Leicester City would be the Aberdeen of England, no?

I know they must be rivals with Derby County, Nottingham Forrest etc, but surely for it to be a derby both sides must consider the other to be their main rivals. Therefore, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Leicester City don't have a derby match.

An Leargaidh
09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Interesting, when I lived Germany (admittedly for a much shorter period than you) I was surprised by how un-bitter towards the English football team and the English in general Germans were. It could be because I was in the west (near Cologne) but I found most of them saw the Dutch as their real rivals.

I went on a long tour of Germany in the early 1990s and found that if the locals, especially the 12-26 age bracket thought I or my mates were English they were quite aggressive and I mean even in the middle of a crowded market square in summertime. Even wee school girls in the east of the country were humming the tune to Dambusters because they heard us speaking English :boo hoo:

As soon as we said to them, "Meine Freunde sind wir aus Schottland" (my friends we are from Scotland) they couldn't in the main love us enough, although on a couple of occasions some of them were still suspicious that we were really actually English.

I am sure, as one of the earlier posters alluded to, that attitudes vary from region to region and I am sure also that nearly two decades on, attitudes have changed all over the country for the better.

stu in nottingham
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM

I know they must be rivals with Derby County, Nottingham Forrest etc, but surely for it to be a derby both sides must consider the other to be their main rivals. Therefore, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Leicester City don't have a derby match.

On that criteria Leicester wouldn't have a local rival s both Forest and Derby see each other as their main rivals. On the other hand the Leicester - Forest fixture is classed as very much a 'derby' game by both sets of supporters still.

These things change with clubs' fortunes too. Thirty-odd years ago the Nottingham Forest - Notts County rivalry was a real one, especially with both teams in the same division. When Forest blew Notts out of the water success-wise that all changed - in Forest supporters' eyes anyway.

Posh Swanny
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM
On that criteria Leicester wouldn't have a local rival s both Forest and Derby see each other as their main rivals. On the other hand the Leicester - Forest fixture is classed as very much a 'derby' game by both sets of supporters still.

These things change with clubs' fortunes too. Thirty-odd years ago the Nottingham Forest - Notts County rivalry was a real one, especially with both teams in the same division. When Forest blew Notts out of the water success-wise that all changed - in Forest supporters' eyes anyway.

If Leicester and Peterborough hadn't spent their entire footballing histories at opposite ends of the League that could have been a very tasty derby if the relatively few clashes between the teams are anything to go by. As it is we have to make do with Northampton. Cambridge got a bit lively for a decade or so when the Wobblers were galavanting their way up through the leagues and back again but its back to normality now.

MacBean
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
alloa or stenhousemuir

Nope

Alloa are 100% Stirling's biggest rivals!

cheltenhamhibee
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Borders Hibby;2379122]Or Hull???[/QUOT

according to the hooligans book Blackburns main rivals are Burnley and Liverpool

LancsHibs
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Borders Hibby;2379122]Or Hull???[/QUOT

according to the hooligans book Blackburns main rivals are Burnley and Liverpool

Dont know why they say that mate? Blackburn have no real rivalry with Liverpool. Burnley is the big one for them (the East Lancashire derby), Blackpool v Preston North End is also a big rivalry (the West Lancashire or M55 derby). Both are huge rivalries in this part of the world. Always trouble!!

cheltenhamhibee
09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=cheltenhamhibee;2381853]

Dont know why they say that mate? Blackburn have no real rivalry with Liverpool. Burnley is the big one for them (the East Lancashire derby), Blackpool v Preston North End is also a big rivalry (the West Lancashire or M55 derby). Both are huge rivalries in this part of the world. Always trouble!!

its quotes and stories from the so called top boys from each mob, so i'd imagine they'd know what they're on about, if 100% accurate

jgl07
09-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Coventry for me will be Leicester's derby.

I have lived in both Cities and there is a lot of animosity between the two.

This stemmed from the days when Coventry was based on the motor industry and had the best paid manual workers in the country.

Leicester's economy was based on textiles and was noted for low wages.

There was resentment in Coventry that the 'woolybacks' from Leicester and Hinkley would come and take their jobs whenever there was a strike.

Killiehibbie
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=LancsHibs;2381862]

its quotes and stories from the so called top boys from each mob, so i'd imagine they'd know what they're on about, if 100% accurate

I think you will find hooligan rivalries were a bit different from the footballing kind. They could be at different ends of the country but see it as the big one.

jgl07
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=cheltenhamhibee;2381853]

I suspect that the Lancashire derbies are changeable according to the division the team are in.

Bolton and Bury used to have great rivalry at one stage when both were in the old second division, as did Bolton and Man City. Nowadays Bolton fans seem an affable bunch who don't appear to have a problem with anyone bar Man United!

I recall seeing Man City v Bolton at Maine Road when the visitors (with Mixu in the team) clinched promotion to the Premiership. The Bolton fans were singing "We only hate United" throughout and the City fans applauded Bolton off the pitch after a 2-1 win.

Bobby Johnstone made a farewell appearance at half time during that match as he was returning to the Scottish Borders.

The Mook
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=LancsHibs;2381862]
I suspect that the Lancashire derbies are changeable according to the division the team are in.

Spot on. When Burnley were in the old Division 4 they had a rivalry with the likes of Bury and Rochdale.

Nowadays Bury v Rochdale is one of the main ones down in League Two, whereas neither seem to have a problem with the likes of Accrington or Macclesfield.

LancsHibs
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Spot on. When Burnley were in the old Division 4 they had a rivalry with the likes of Bury and Rochdale.

Nowadays Bury v Rochdale is one of the main ones down in League Two, whereas neither seem to have a problem with the likes of Accrington or Macclesfield.

Right up to a point! When Burnley were in the lower divisions they did have a rivalry with the likes of Rochdale/Bury/Oldham but the real hatred was always towards Blackburn Rovers and visa versa, even when they were at opposite ends of the football league and never played each other. Blackburn/Burnley & Blackpool/Preston are stick on rivalries no matter what!
If the Hertz got themselves relegated and we never played them for 10 years, they would still be our No1 rivals. It would then be one hell of a game when we did eventually play them again:wink: