PDA

View Full Version : Offside trial (Drybrough cup ?)

MSK
05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Maybe im imagining things but im sure many years ago my late Father in Law told me there was a one off trial/experiment of the offside rule, poss in a Drybrough cup game (cup final v Celtic ?) white lines ran along the 18 yard box to each touch line ...(thats the best i could describe it :greengrin)..

Did this ever happen ..?...or am i going Lulu ...:crazy:

Bobo
05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Maybe im imagining things but im sure many years ago my late Father in Law told me there was a one off trial/experiment of the offside rule, poss in a Drybrough cup game (cup final v Celtic ?) white lines ran along the 18 yard box to each touch line ...(thats the best i could describe it :greengrin)..

:agree: It happened.

Meant the game was more open 'cos forwards could play further up the park without being caught off.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sure we scored a goal against the huns with this method in the semi final 74?

hibbybrian
05-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Not just the final - it was FaF with Arthur Duncan trotting back and forward along the 18 yard line with Sandy Jardine in tow having a laugh with the supporters in the north enclosure every lap :greengrin

MSK
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
:agree: It happened.

Meant the game was more open 'cos forwards could play further up the park without being caught off.Phew ...thanks Bobo ..i wonder then why further trials werent carried out or if they were why things never developed ...

Keith_M
05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Phew ...thanks Bobo ..i wonder then why further trials werent carried out or if they were why things never developed ...

Probably because Hibs kept winning it.....

:wink:

MSK
05-03-2010, 07:13 PM

:wink:Reasonable excuse i suppose ..:greengrin

crash
05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Phew ...thanks Bobo ..i wonder then why further trials werent carried out or if they were why things never developed ...

I remember they used it in the League Cup as well (74/75). The incident mentioned previously with Arthur Duncan actually took place in the section game (10/08/74). It was no coincedence that the final of this tournament was also contested between Hibs and Celtic (Lost 6-3) as the new rule was tailor-made for attacking football teams.

stu in nottingham
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I think that they tried this experiment in England too in the old Watney Cup; maybe the Anglo-Italian Cup too.

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Hibs' second consecutive DC win witnessed a last minute of extra time winner by the late great Alan Gordon who was standing just the right side of that extended 18 yard line as he cracked in the winner :greengrin

Final score

Celtic 0 Hibs 1 (AET)
Gordon (119)

:wink:

Bobo
05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Along with Celtic we were one of the best equipped teams, at that time, for playing attacking football so it suited our game.

Our downfall though was that we tended to ignore the defensive side of our game too much, without the added incentive of playing further up the field, so maybe it wasn't a bad thing that it wasn't kept?

Must admit though I hate the current off-side rules and the way games are constantly broken up at the halfway line .... stop start and little opportunity for flowing football matches !

O'Rourke3
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Pedantic point it wasn't the 18 yrd line but was drawn across the pitch 20 yds from the goal line. Don't remember the LC joining in(not disputing it either) but at least one DC had that as an experiment.

surreyhibbie
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Not just the final - it was FaF with Arthur Duncan trotting back and forward along the 18 yard line with Sandy Jardine in tow having a laugh with the supporters in the north enclosure every lap :greengrin

I remember it well, Arthur and Sandy were having a laugh and even the Huns were joining in. Probably the only time I have seen Hibbies and Huns laughing at a game together.

gogs_t
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Pedantic point it wasn't the 18 yrd line but was drawn across the pitch 20 yds from the goal line. Don't remember the LC joining in(not disputing it either) but at least one DC had that as an experiment.

That's how I remember it as well. Not sure about the distance but I do remember it being further out than the 18 yard box. I was only 10 at the time so I could be talking garbage (definitely not the first time :rolleyes:) but I'm sure it was an extra line right across the pitch further up field

allmodcons
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
When I read out this before, I thought it was a great idea.

For me the modern day game badly needs 'stretching'.

snooky
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM

To simplify the outcome of the experiment (IIRC), the forwards an defenders never moved and the midfielders ran their ar$es off!

allmodcons
05-03-2010, 09:04 PM
To simplify the outcome of the experiment (IIRC), the forwards an defenders never moved and the midfielders ran their ar$es off!

That would surely suit Deeks!

tamig
05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

It was the 18 yard line that was extended. Are you not thinking of the shooting area in Subbuteo? :wink: