PDA

View Full Version : Things we miss at Easter Road.

Jack
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Well that’s the East Stand all but away and while many had fond memories of it there are those who had fond memories of what was there before.

I miss European nights at Easter Road, but they’ll be back, and I'm going to miss standing.

What are the ‘things’ you miss?

Oh and try a be a bit cheery. I’ve noticed a bit of a melancholy feel about the site this week. Thank goodness we had the old stand to be sorry for, imagine what it would have been like if we only had the results of the last few weeks to chat about! :duck:

Franck is God
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I miss the sense of optimism, only seems to be negativity these days.

I also miss the sensible evaluation of players, they are now either the worst player anyone has ever seen or greater than Pele...Can't imagine what these guys would have thought about having to watch Steve Fulton or Benny Brazil every week....thankfully there were no forums like these back then!

The_Todd
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I won't miss standing as I expect after the initial clampdown it'll probably reappear.

I will miss standing on my seat though! :wink:

Earl o'Montrose
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
The Scottish Cup in the trophy cabinet! :agree:

Or can I technically 'miss' this from ER as I've never seen it there in the first place?

matty_f
05-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I miss a decent pie at Easter Road. Can't mind who did them back in the day (might have been Ford's :dunno:) but a mince pie back then was infinitely better than the dross that's served up now.

Craig_in_Prague
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I miss myself being there! :boo hoo:

I think we miss the sense of excitement which seemed to have left along with Tony Mowbray.
I was back for the new years day game which ended 1-1 (deeks and hartley), the atmosphere was fantastic.... ok, it was a derby, but under TM I felt there was a real anticipation and buzz in the crowd.

Www1875hfc
05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I miss the old electronic scoreboard.
What i am looking forward to,is a decent sound system in the new east stand,wait till the half time shoot out, 1...2....3....:greengrin.

erskine-hibby
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
The Scottish Cup in the trophy cabinet! :agree:

Or can I technically 'miss' this from ER as I've never seen it there in the first place?

My thoughts too:agree:

Jack
05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I miss a decent pie at Easter Road. Can't mind who did them back in the day (might have been Ford's :dunno:) but a mince pie back then was infinitely better than the dross that's served up now.

That's not the ones with the Hibs crest stamped, or whatever, on its bottom :slipper:

The ones that weren't sold were given away in Tamson's. :agree:

Hakim Sar
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I miss jim leighton, darren jackson and frank sauzee. wacko jacko was my idol as a laddie.

I miss the sight of a snowy arthurs seat as a backdrop to another winters hammering of partick/dundee

But the hibs are in fine fettle and I now just look forward to hopefully stabilising the rollercoaster ride that is the life of a hibs fan. I want more consistency in the future!!

Andy74
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I miss Franck. It still breaks my heart when I think of how things ended there. :boo hoo:

Sudds_1
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
That's not the ones with the Hibs crest stamped, or whatever, on its bottom :slipper:

The ones that weren't sold were given away in Tamson's. :agree:

.........or the now defunct St Andrews Bowling club behind the South Stand, where I used to imbibe before and after the game........:greengrin

Ah....memories.......:thumbsup:

RoslinInstHibby
05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I miss Franck. It still breaks my heart when I think of how things ended there. :boo hoo:

:agree: legend

RIP
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
People pee ing into McEwan's export cans
Home and away fans in the same part of the ground
Getting crushed against the barriers
The 'Stoor' when a goal was scored
Going doon to the front behind the wa' wi the other wee lads
A lift ower
Long shorts
Players being aulder than me
Fat, unfit referees
Caps on the men's heids
The smell of fags
Pools coupons at half-time
The manual scoreboard
The auld songs - particularly the sectarian ones "Sean South" et al
Missiles
Nae cars on the side streets
Police horses and the dung
YLT Skinheids
Mullets, perms and moustaches
Men wi ties and long overcoats
The 'stamping' in the North West Stand

Sudds_1
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
A lift ower
Long shorts
Fat, unfit referees
Caps on the men's heids
The smell of fags
The manual scoreboard
Missiles
YLT Skinheids

Jeezo..that post rings some bells!....some great memories in there.

.....almost had to find a quiet room to myself. :devil:

fiolex1
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I miss standing at the game with all the Gorebridge lads, only see them in the passing now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Standing
Euro nights
Being able to shout without being told to "sit on your erse"
The slope :greengrin
The programme hut (although Regina was a chancer)
A decent pie

Golden Bear
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
This is a copy of a text which I received last night. I thought that it had already been posted but apparently it hasn't:-

"First it was massive with thousands of stairs, old men with caps on, young guys in their flares

It had seen Barca and Real Madrid, then they chopped it in half and stuck on a lid.

From that day onward the East Stand was born, sometimes amazing, sometimes forlorn.

It sung Frankie Sauzee and Keith Keith Keith Keith, Glory to the Hibees and Sunshine on Leith

It seen two League Cups come back full of bubbly, it laughed when Steve Fulton got booked for being ugly.

It told Wallace Mercer to go and kiss our ass, it wept when Joe Baker knelt down on the grass.

My mates and your mates, to name but a few, were doing the bounce as we cuffed them 6-2.

But now its changing, a good thing I think, as long as its green and not bus shelter pink.

If I could name it I'd put in a bid. There is only one choice -------------

THE SIR ALBERT KIDD

:thumbsup:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-03-2010, 03:19 PM
The way the old ground looked when it was full. Post eighties chop but pre the roof on the terrace. Seemed like even through the bad years, the OF and Hearts always attracted 20,000 plus.

MSK
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
This is a copy of a text which I received last night. I thought that it had already been posted but apparently it hasn't:-

"First it was massive with thousands of stairs, old men with caps on, young guys in their flares

It had seen Barca and Real Madrid, then they chopped it in half and stuck on a lid.

From that day onward the East Stand was born, sometimes amazing, sometimes forlorn.

It sung Frankie Sauzee and Keith Keith Keith Keith, Glory to the Hibees and Sunshine on Leith

It seen two League Cups come back full of bubbly, it laughed when Steve Fulton got booked for being ugly.

It told Wallace Mercer to go and kiss our ass, it wept when Joe Baker knelt down on the grass.

My mates and your mates, to name but a few, were doing the bounce as we cuffed them 6-2.

But now its changing, a good thing I think, as long as its green and not bus shelter pink.

If I could name it I'd put in a bid. There is only one choice -------------

THE SIR ALBERT KIDD

:thumbsup:Aye it has .. http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=176709 & again here ..http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=176352 ...:greengrin

Mag7
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't miss anything about the old ground as it was a dump and I'm glad to see the last part of it being demolished. It looked good in its 50s/60s heyday with a packed bank of terracing towering up to the clouds but anyone who remembers it in the 1980s will surely agree that it was fit only for demolition. The away end in particular was a disgrace while the slope behind the aptly named 'cowshed' was a jungle of weeds. The main stand was also a shocker of peeling corrugated iron, although it did get eventually get a fresh coat of paint.

What I do miss is a reasonable pricing for football matches. The price of attending games has soared way beyond the rate of inflation and when you bear in mind what you're paying to watch it's vastly over-priced for a largely average product. Top price to get into Easter Road should be £15.

iwasthere1972
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I miss European nights. Napoli, Porto, Leeds, Liverpool and Hamburg some of the sides I have seen Hibs going head to head. The atmosphere on each occasion was one to savour. At times it's only those memories that keep me sane.

C'mon Hibs I want more European nights.

Gatecrasher
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Green and White popcorn

fiolex1
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Curried pies in the East :aok:

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 07:49 PM
A lift ower
Long shorts
Fat, unfit referees
Caps on the men's heids
The smell of fags
The manual scoreboard
Missiles
YLT Skinheids

Oggy oggy oggy :greengrin

fiolex1
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
The Blue cars

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
The Blue cars

http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/docs/pic1110c.jpg

:agree:

johnrebus
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
The Cave ( before the seats )

:boo hoo:

snooky
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I still miss the slope :boo hoo:

... and the old North Stand (Now the north end if the West Stand for you young yins)

WindyMiller
05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
The Cave ( before the seats )

:boo hoo:

That was my home .
Pissing in cans and chuckin' them at them other b***tards.

tamig
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Getting in for 60p in the late 70s.
Standing in front of the TV scaffolding half way down the terracing.
The "half time scoreboard."
The big floodlight pylons.
Standing beside the tunnel in the North Enclosure.
Getting soaked when it pished down.
The old metal stanchions behind the goals.
Purple tracksuits.

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I miss the grass

Hiber-nation
05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Getting in for 60p in the late 70s.
Standing in front of the TV scaffolding half way down the terracing.
The "half time scoreboard."
The big floodlight pylons.
Standing beside the tunnel in the North Enclosure.
Getting soaked when it pished down.
The old metal stanchions behind the goals.
Purple tracksuits.

Quality.....they big floodlights all lit up as 25 thousand plus packed into ER for a big European night :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I miss the grass

Aye you must have only been a teenager at Woodstock. :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Aye you must have only been a teenager at Woodstock. :wink:

:greengrin

I also miss the guys that used to walk around the track with their white box things strapped round their necks, selling kia ora and pies n' stuff :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I miss being young and viewing the Hibs players as ten-foot-tall heroes who could do no wrong in my eyes.

I miss turning up to meet my dad wearing the full Newcastle strip on a snowy December Saturday afternoon only to spend the next 90 minutes cowered under his oversized jacket to keep me warm.

I miss the juvenile innocence of being sat there spending half the time watching the team I support and the other half spending time with my dad that I otherwise never had during the week.

I miss walking out of Easter Road with his arm around me sheltering me from the cold trying to explain to him that a 3v0 defeat at home to St Mirren wasn't that bad and trying to spin the positives.

I miss the old Cowshed.

I almost miss the 3 second wait for the opposition fans bursting into hysterics between the ball hitting the net and them realising.

I miss the random shouts that would have me giggling like a maniac.

I miss the feeling of being involved, being at the heartbeat of all things Hibs.

I miss not counting Sunday to Friday as "non-days" as I looked forward to a Saturday home game where I could sit in the only place I wanted to sit.

I miss turning up at a game 25 minutes before kick-off just so I could watch Franck Sauzee kill a 30 yard exocet missile of a size 5 ball stone dead on his thigh.

I miss not being able to wake up knowing I can watch Hibs home and away.

I miss Hibs.

To anyone who can wake up tomorrow morning knowing that it's a) financially realistic for them to go the game and b) geographically possible for them to get the game.........go to the game.

Because the feeling of missing out on it is not right.

18Craig75
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
The green pop corn, everyone getting to their feet in anticipation when Ivan got the ball, only to sit back down regretfully when he over ran it :greengrin & my Dad telling me 'It's all right, we'll get them doon the slope!'

Pete
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I miss being young and viewing the Hibs players as ten-foot-tall heroes who could do no wrong in my eyes.

I miss turning up to meet my dad wearing the full Newcastle strip on a snowy December Saturday afternoon only to spend the next 90 minutes cowered under his oversized jacket to keep me warm.

I miss the juvenile innocence of being sat there spending half the time watching the team I support and the other half spending time with my dad that I otherwise never had during the week.

I miss walking out of Easter Road with his arm around me sheltering me from the cold trying to explain to him that a 3v0 defeat at home to St Mirren wasn't that bad and trying to spin the positives.

I miss the old Cowshed.

I almost miss the 3 second wait for the opposition fans bursting into hysterics between the ball hitting the net and them realising.

I miss the random shouts that would have me giggling like a maniac.

I miss the feeling of being involved, being at the heartbeat of all things Hibs.

I miss not counting Sunday to Friday as "non-days" as I looked forward to a Saturday home game where I could sit in the only place I wanted to sit.

I miss turning up at a game 25 minutes before kick-off just so I could watch Franck Sauzee kill a 30 yard exocet missile of a size 5 ball stone dead on his thigh.

I miss not being able to wake up knowing I can watch Hibs home and away.

I miss Hibs.

To anyone who can wake up tomorrow morning knowing that it's a) financially realistic for them to go the game and b) geographically possible for them to get the game.........go to the game.

Because the feeling of missing out on it is not right.

Aw man...

As for the old days...

I miss being too wee to see properly so I was always perched on the barrier to give me a similar view to the adults.

I miss sneaking away for a while and watching the game from an aisle in the terracing. It was as if you were ten foot tall for once and had the A1 view of the whole ground and no obstructions.

As for the three second thing...that was the only way I could tell if the other team had scored at the Dunbar end. There was ping-pong with the ball where nobody could tell what was going on...then they exploded and your heart sank.

hibsdaft
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
everyone getting to their feet in anticipation when Ivan got the ball

:agree::agree:

Wembley67
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I miss my friends that are no longer with me but still looking down.

LaMotta
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Keith Wright scoring

Followed by the stadium announcer shouting" Goalscorer for Hibs, Number 9.....KEEEEEEEEITH WRIGHT!!"

Followed by 3/4 of the ground chanting" keith keith keith keith keith keith keith....." until they ran out of breath, a bit like Kabbadi.

TheEastTerrace
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I miss the big games being 3pm on Saturday afternoons.

hibsfan
05-03-2010, 11:35 PM
the yellow poncho you used to get when the rain got real bad!

killie-hibby
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I miss Willie Ormond, John Baxter and other players getting on the bus at the top of Easter Road at 5.30 after the game.

Those were the days when players identified and mixed with the supporters.

wee 162
06-03-2010, 03:11 AM
I still miss the slope :boo hoo:

... and the old North Stand (Now the north end if the West Stand for you young yins)

Doon the level in the 2nd half from now up till I die.

EasterRoad4Ever
06-03-2010, 04:25 AM
A lift ower
Long shorts
Fat, unfit referees
Caps on the men's heids
The smell of fags
The manual scoreboard
Missiles
YLT Skinheids

cigar smoke in the North
pinging ringpulls at people before the match
swapping ends at HT
workers safety helmets painted green & white, with stickers
decent music before the game, and no HT DJ rubbish
3pm KOs on a Saturday
Hibs strips that stayed the same for 3 or 4 seasons
Gates opening at 1.30
Getting in for free at HT, when they opened the exit gates
Turnbull's Tornados

Gala Foxes
06-03-2010, 07:07 AM
standing under the TV gantry on the old uncovered terracing in the 80's separated from the away fans by a line of police - superb atmosphere, unlike nowadays

Isak Refvik's double on his debut came about this time

happy days

Brizo
06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
The old North enclosure under the old North stand during the late 70s / 80s. Even in the days of 4000 crowds it was always rammed and the atmosphere was bouncin. It was my generations Cave / East.

Better songs and no PA drowning them out.

Admission prices that were similar to cinema admission prices.

The pre sky , pre sanitised "danger" factor of attending fitba particularly when the sticky buns and hertz attended.

Street badge sellers selling lapel badges of a "political" :wink: nature

Players who seemed more committed to the club , who had a genuine affinity with the club and support. And who didnt give the impression that money was their number one priority.

Hiber-nation
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
The old North enclosure under the old North stand during the late 70s / 80s. Even in the days of 4000 crowds it was always rammed and the atmosphere was bouncin. It was my generations Cave / East.

Obviously everyone's rightly talking about the East but in these days the North Enclosure was the place to be for radgeness and banter :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Stanton, O`Rourke, Stevenson, Cormack
Standing
Changing ends
passing the fags round
atmosphere
singing
drinking
foul language
wise cracks and banter with away fans
kicking empty cans along the terracing after a defeat
Dusty Springfield, The Beatles, Gerry & the Pacemakers on the tannoy
No screaming DJ with his grim deafening music
leaning on a barrier
Cigarette smoke billowing against the floodlights
3pm kick offs ,10mins for half time and games finishing at 4-40pm.
mid week games finishing at 9-10pm
running down the terracing to hurl abuse at the linesman
running down the terracing to hurl abuse at the ref
Running down the terracing to hurl abuse at anybody
The terracing opening up after a scuffle
Handkies being waved to attract the first aid guys and the police
Stretcher bearers running round the track
No yellow jacketed stewards
Bobbies helmets being knocked off during a fracas
Plain clothes cops sticking out like a sore thumb
the half time scoreboard

I could go on but I am starting to cry.:boo hoo:

Golden Bear
06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Standing
Changing ends
passing the fags round
atmosphere
singing
drinking
foul language
leaning on a barrier
the half time scoreboard

Where's yer macaroon bars and matches?

:wink:

down-the-slope
06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Some been said before...anyway

1. Players scoring and ripping off shirt and diving into front row of fans..without a yellow card being issued
2. Tackles that you could hear and not even a free kick be awarded
3. Dust from blaze after the meele of a goal being scored
4. the pall of smoke and sweaty bodies drifting up to the lights in winter
5. Macaroon bar sellers wandering the terracing
6. Hoping the blaze dust and inaccuracy of others peeing would not spoil your new footware
7. the madness of decending the terrace in a pile of bodies after scoring, and spending ages trying to find where you were and who you were with
8. Random hugging of complete strangers (even the odd woman) after scoring
9. The Slope and the certain knowlege of being better second half
10. Watching players whose dream was to play for Hibs, and had worked up the leagues to get the move here
11. The closeness of away fans and the banter and missiles that passed overhead
12. The odd stramash when fans clashed in the corner
13. Moving round the ground depending weather / which way we were shooting
14. Having 9/11,000 away fans in Dunbar end
15. When players were older than me
16. When it was so cold the grease in the pie running down your hand solidified
17. When watching Hibs on TV was a special novelty
18. Folk with huge trannies relaying results from other games
19. Singing get yer T**S oot for the lads to any female walking round the trackside
20. Games being 3pm on Saturday..and 7-30pm on a Wednesday

etc etc etc

bournehibby
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Standing
Changing ends
passing the fags round
atmosphere
singing
drinking
foul language
leaning on a barrier
the half time scoreboard

Buying ther pink or green paper on ER after the game, reading it on the No 16 bus home.
bh

Septimus
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Tommy Younger.

Bishop Hibee
06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Watching the odd game as a kid through a haze of smoke from my grandpa's pipe as I sat behind him in the second row of what was the north, now north west, stand.

Later standing with my brothers and mates at the same spot every home game. Guys who could only make the odd game always knew where we stood and were more likely to come along on a whim as they'd get a good laugh and a few pints afterwards regardless of the result.

The fact you could tell the eejit next to you to "clear off" if he was slavering rubbish. Now you have to put up with them season after season.

Sways.

Dan Sarf
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Watching the adults pass wee quarter bottles of whisky round on News Day (and the anxious face of its owner when someone tipped it back for too long!) :greengrin

ginger_rice
06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
The girls who sold the "golden goal" tickets.

Phil MaGlass
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
A Hibs win.

GreenBlade
06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't miss anything about the old ground as it was a dump and I'm glad to see the last part of it being demolished. It looked good in its 50s/60s heyday with a packed bank of terracing towering up to the clouds but anyone who remembers it in the 1980s will surely agree that it was fit only for demolition. The away end in particular was a disgrace while the slope behind the aptly named 'cowshed' was a jungle of weeds. The main stand was also a shocker of peeling corrugated iron, although it did get eventually get a fresh coat of paint.

What I do miss is a reasonable pricing for football matches. The price of attending games has soared way beyond the rate of inflation and when you bear in mind what you're paying to watch it's vastly over-priced for a largely average product. Top price to get into Easter Road should be £15.

Sorry Mag7 but I find your post so depressing I have to comment lol

First off, I loved the old east terracing! I loved the cowshed and I loved the old rusting main stand. Even with crowds as low as 4000 the atmosphere was far better than it is today. We used to travel up to Aberdeen's fully seated stadium and take the piss with remarks like hearing them rustling their sweety papers. Now Easter Roads just as bad if not worse. However I really believe the new east stand will be jumpin' on matchday no matter the opposition and what it will be like on European nights?!!...............

AS for the old ground? I'm proud to say I've stood on the old east terracing with the group of about 500 Hibs fans who were surrounded by thousands of Rangers/Celtic fans. The whole game dodging cans and bottles! However bad it was, me and my mates from Peebles, Innerleithen and Walkerburn couldn't wait for the next season to sample it again. Along with the Hibees singing in the cowshed and the guys in the North stand banging their feet and chanting "Hibees" it was bloody marvelous. So yeh Mag7 it was a dump but by God it was effing brilliant!

You young guys are rightly sad to see the old east enclosure go but so were we when they chopped more than half the terracing off and put a roof up. To finish, my one great memory under that roof was the Souness match. Without doubt I have never experienced an atmosphere like that and Ive been in an 85000 crowd at Hampden. It was awesome!

So Mag7 lets give the board great credit for their work on todays stadium but PLEASE don't rubbish our memories of the past. Weeds and all!

YouTube - Souness sent off against Hibs 1986 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHpY0mDy1lM)

YouTube - Hibernian 2-1 Rangers 1986 (Hibs Goals) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyh8YEl7jZg)