PDA

View Full Version : How times have changed

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
The wave of nostalgia surrounding the demolition of the East Stand has set me off I'm afraid :greengrin

When I first started watching Hibs there was the old west stand and three banks of terracing. Only the Enclosure (standing bit in front of the west stand) and the Dunbar End (South Stand) had a name. The East was a huge two tiered bank of terrace and the ground could hold around 65,000.

As a kid I used to enter the turnstiles around the old car park and trudge up 40 million steps to reach the top of the old (East) terrace. If I timed it right the teams were just running out and seeing the Hibees resplendent in their green and white was like falling in love, every time :greengrin

In those days you could stand wherever you wanted on the three terraces and like many I used to go behind the goals that Hibs were shooting in to. I can't recall it ever raining or snowing but I guess it must have and I would have gotten soaked because there was no-where to shelter unless you could squeeze under the old scoreboard!

Now we're about to have a fantastic four stand stadium, we'll all be seated and we'll all mostly keep dry.

Times have indeed changed :greengrin

steviecarnie
04-03-2010, 11:32 PM
any good photoshoppers out there able to put together a photo like man united currently have outside of OT showing it going thru the ages??

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dlmdfl.jpg

lapsedhibee
04-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I can't recall it ever raining or snowing but I guess it must have and I would have gotten soaked because there was no-where to shelter unless you could squeeze under the old scoreboard!

It definitely used to rain. The wettest match in the whole history of the universe was a New Year's Day game when we were two up against Hawrts and coasting, and then Lisbon Lion Willie Wallace pulled one back just before half time. Rain which had been heavy during the time we were winning continued all through half time and got steadily worse as they equalised and then went on to win 3-2. Most sickening Derby defeat I can remember and wet, wet, wet.

Removed
04-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Was pissing down the night of the Liverpool game as well

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 11:41 PM
It definitely used to rain. The wettest match in the whole history of the universe was a New Year's Day game when we were two up against Hawrts and coasting, and then Lisbon Lion Willie Wallace pulled one back just before half time. Rain which had been heavy during the time we were winning continued all through half time and got steadily worse as they equalised and then went on to win 3-2. Most sickening Derby defeat I can remember and wet, wet, wet.

Was pissing down the night of the Liverpool game as well

Both correct but for me watching Hibs was like being on the golf course - it never rained :wink::greengrin

Jack
05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
The wave of nostalgia surrounding the demolition of the East Stand has set me off I'm afraid :greengrin

When I first started watching Hibs there was the old west stand and three banks of terracing. Only the Enclosure (standing bit in front of the west stand) and the Dunbar End (South Stand) had a name. The East was a huge two tiered bank of terrace and the ground could hold around 65,000.

As a kid I used to enter the turnstiles around the old car park and trudge up 40 million steps to reach the top of the old (East) terrace. If I timed it right the teams were just running out and seeing the Hibees resplendent in their green and white was like falling in love, every time :greengrin

In those days you could stand wherever you wanted on the three terraces and like many I used to go behind the goals that Hibs were shooting in to. I can't recall it ever raining or snowing but I guess it must have and I would have gotten soaked because there was no-where to shelter unless you could squeeze under the old scoreboard!

Now we're about to have a fantastic four stand stadium, we'll all be seated and we'll all mostly keep dry.

Times have indeed changed :greengrin

Never, ever thought this would happen :bitchy:

The Swan Heights had a name too :greengrin

mim
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
As a kid I used to enter the turnstiles around the old car park and trudge up 40 million steps to reach the top of the old (East) terrace.
If I remember correctly, when I first started going to the East there were no steps up from the car park. Although there were turnstiles there, they were old and unused. Entry to the East was was at the North end, as it is now.

I think the steps were put in at the same time the wall was built between the two East tiers.

......or has my memory failed completely? :wink:

hibbie02
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
If I remember correctly, when I first started going to the East there were no steps up from the car park. Although there were turnstiles there, they were old and unused. Entry to the East was was at the North end, as it is now.

I think the steps were put in at the same time the wall was built between the two East tiers.

I think you just out-Auld-Yinned the Auld Yin!!!

For the record there were steps when I started going but I am just a nipper! :wink:

thebakerboy
05-03-2010, 11:22 AM

My memory is not what it used to be but think you are probably right about the old unused turnstyles but got to agree that ER was like the golf course when I was young I dont ever remember rain or is that just memory failing:agree::greengrin

Hibs90
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Oh god, not again! :greengrin

hibbybrian
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Model of the Stadium in 1953 :wink:

The upper terrace was completed over a couple of seasons 50-52 so there probably were no steps pre 1953

Ray_
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM

As I was very young at the time, I remember being taken to that match by my late dad, he was a Jambo and to my dismay he made me leave with him when we were 2-0 up. [up until now I also thought it was HT]

We went back to my grand parents in Hutchison and he promptly feel asleep in the armchair, he was gutted when I awoke him with the news.

WindyMiller
05-03-2010, 12:24 PM

The upper terrace was completed over a couple of seasons 50-52 so there probably were no steps pre 1953

So it wasn't in place for the 65,000 gate?

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM

That's the ER I had in mind when I started the thread Brian :thumbsup:

Ray_
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Both correct but for me watching Hibs was like being on the golf course - it never rained :wink::greengrin

I remember it being very foggy during a midweek match around 1971 against der hun, we won 3-2 & pat Stanton hit the bar from close to the halfway line, but I think the most memorable thing about that evening was the two goals scored by Jim Blair, a high cost player who constantly resembled an [all too often] Colin Nish off day.

I also remember a game against Motherwell around 1970 when the pitch was covered with snow & the lines were scrapped out of the snow. We played with an orange ball & the event was immortalised later, when a full page colour picture of Johnny Graham appeared in the shoot or goal magazine.

Hibby D
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I remember a wall leading up to the East terracing with a row of men piddling against it.

My Dad gave me a row for looking and warned me not to tell my Mum or I wouldn't be allowed back.

Best secret I ever kept :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I remember a wall leading up to the East terracing with a row of men piddling against it.

My Dad gave me a row for looking and warned me not to tell my Mum or I wouldn't be allowed back.

Best secret I ever kept :greengrin

That kinda thing went on at most grounds D but the worst I ever saw was at Tynie where the gents was in the top corner under their shelter. The pee used to run down the terracing in rivers - yuk. Pish both on and off the park even then :greengrin

Hibby D
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
That kinda thing went on at most grounds D but the worst I ever saw was at Tynie where the gents was in the top corner under their shelter. The pee used to run down the terracing in rivers - yuk. Pish both on and off the park even then :greengrin

Never miss an opportunity JC eh? :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Never miss an opportunity JC eh? :wink:

One tries :wink:

SolentHibee
05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Never, ever thought this would happen :bitchy:

The Swan Heights had a name too :greengrin

I was sure that the bit up the back (coldest place in Scotland when the wind was blowin and the rain hammering down) was called Shaw's Heights.

It was a long time ago though so I may be wrong.

It's inconcievable now but because there was no segregation it was not unusual to be standing next to away supporters - but generally the main trouble was not between those opposing fans standing together, but always seemed to happen between the main groups of fans when they met in the middle when changing ends at half time. :take that

I can still remember the occasions when one group decided to descend on the mass of opposition fans at the other end. It meant you could see the potential for trouble as they started to work their way around the ground.

hibbybrian
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
That's the ER I had in mind when I started the thread Brian :thumbsup:

Some photos and info here:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/Stadium/

crash
05-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Was there ever a supporters club in the old car park?

hibbybrian
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Was there ever a supporters club in the old car park?

Think it was adopted as an unofficial club - either from the old bowling club or transport club :confused:

bought one of my first rounds in there around 1971 - and I would put on record that I have bought at least a couple of rounds since then :greengrin

lapsedhibee
05-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Some photos and info here:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/Stadium/

Some cracking photos there. :thumbsup:

Particularly liked the proposed "Future Stadium". Not so much for the projected capacity of 98,000, but because there was going to be a line drawn on the pitch between the two goalmouths, presumably to emphasise the symmetry of the pitch (or perhaps as part of a novel offside experiment).

O'Rourke3
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Don't remember climbing 3 flights from the turnstiles to the terrace (at least 2 though!) or the steps on the RHS but also don't remember any unused turnstyles till after the top of the terrace were sliced off. Shed was up by the time I started going though (1970) and a televison camera tower (ha) probably arrived around 72/73. Entrance to the terrace was by the side the TV cameras parked their vans and it always seemed more special knowing that you'd be abale to watch the game again later or on the Sunday after Scotsport moved to the Sunday.

Have to say though the worst P*ss I ever had to wade through was in the old North stand at Hampden on the Saturday Semi v's Rangers. Back seat of the stand about 4 miles up. P*ssing myself thinking I'd fall off until the game started. :agree:

MM19
05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I remember it being very foggy during a midweek match around 1971 against der hun, we won 3-2 & pat Stanton hit the bar from close to the halfway line, but I think the most memorable thing about that evening was the two goals scored by Jim Blair, a high cost player who constantly resembled an [all too often] Colin Nish off day.

I also remember a game against Motherwell around 1970 when the pitch was covered with snow & the lines were scrapped out of the snow. We played with an orange ball & the event was immortalised later, when a full page colour picture of Johnny Graham appeared in the shoot or goal magazine.

Did Willie Johnston no get sent off for a foul on Jim Blair at a free kick just outside the huns box

crash
05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Think it was adopted as an unofficial club - either from the old bowling club or transport club :confused:

bought one of my first rounds in there around 1971 - and I would put on record that I have bought at least a couple of rounds since then :greengrin

Thanks for confirming this, I was beginning to think my memory was playing tricks:greengrin

Aubenas
05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
the teams were just running out and seeing the Hibees resplendent in their green and white was like falling in love, every time

Congrats Jonnyboy. Never read a better description of what it feels like to follow the Hibs:agree:

Jonnyboy
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Congrats Jonnyboy. Never read a better description of what it feels like to follow the Hibs:agree:

:thumbsup:

Mikey
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I think you just out-Auld-Yinned the Auld Yin!!!

:faf:

Ray_
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Did Willie Johnston no get sent off for a foul on Jim Blair at a free kick just outside the huns box

Yeah, that's about right, I think the currents went in front twice & we got the winner in the last ten minutes, after the sending off.

MGmick
05-03-2010, 09:33 PM

I remember that one, the park was a sheet of ice and big, lanky M'Cloy was in goal for them.

Also, the model is the ER I first remember.

The Harp
05-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Got the anorak on for this one. :greengrin
Like you, when I started my love affair wi' the Hibs (around '52) there were certainly no stairs at all to the high terracing from the car park. Access was from the path above the regular terracing. We always stood on, what we called, 'the high bit'. It provided a great view ... but nae cover! Although the regular terracing steps were concrete at this time, the high terracing was made of railway sleepers & cinder/soil.
Can still remember when they built the stairs some years later during the close season - and the sense of pride we had in the stadium.
As for the club in the car park - it was the Hibernian Social Club. Pretty sure it was owned by the football club more or less in competition with the supporters club. I joined when it first opened - would have been around '68. I had been a member of the supporters club since '63, before they moved to Sunnyside from 7 Carlton Terrace.
Ah, the memories! :blah:

mim
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Got the anorak on for this one. :greengrin
Like you, when I started my love affair wi' the Hibs (around '52) there were certainly no stairs at all to the high terracing from the car park. Access was from the path above the regular terracing. We always stood on, what we called, 'the high bit'. It provided a great view ... but nae cover! Although the regular terracing steps were concrete at this time, the high terracing was made of railway sleepers & cinder/soil.
Can still remember when they built the stairs some years later during the close season - and the sense of pride we had in the stadium.
As for the club in the car park - it was the Hibernian Social Club. Pretty sure it was owned by the football club more or less in competition with the supporters club. I joined when it first opened - would have been around '68. I had been a member of the supporters club since '63, before they moved to Sunnyside from 7 Carlton Terrace.
Ah, the memories! :blah:

I knew I wasn't going senile :rolleyes: - thanks for that. :agree:

Ah, games of snooker in the Hibs Club at Carlton Terrace - very handy when you went to the Royal High School (the old one). :thumbsup: