PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scott Brown and Larry Kingston both lose appeals

Sir David Gray
04-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Not so surprised about Kingston because although I don't believe it was malicious or intentional, his foot was raised on Fyvie and I can understand why the referee gave him a straight red.

However, after having the opportunity to see it on TV replays, I cannot for the life of me understand how Dougie McDonald can say that what Scott Brown did deserved a red card and that he is happy with his original decision.

I am genuinely shocked that it hasn't been rescinded and if there was ever a case for taking the appeals process out of the hands of the referee then this is it.

If that was a Hibs player, I wouldn't be happy.

Links to both articles here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8550145.stm) and here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8540733.stm).

Jim44
04-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Not so surprised about Kingston because although I don't believe it was malicious or intentional, his foot was raised on Fyvie and I can understand why the referee gave him a straight red.

However, after having the opportunity to see it on TV replays, I cannot for the life of me understand how Dougie McDonald can say that what Scott Brown did deserved a red card and that he is happy with his original decision.

I am genuinely shocked that it hasn't been rescinded and if there was ever a case for taking the appeals process out of the hands of the referee then this is it.

Links to both articles here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8550145.stm) and here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8540733.stm).

Embarrasing decision. Brown should have been yellow-carded and Lafferty should have been booked for simulation.

johnrebus
04-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't know what all this hand wringing over Scott Broon is about. He deserved to be sent off - although Laferty should have been booked.

The sooner Broon gets away to the Premiership the better. He will never progress his career any further in Scotland.

:devil:

Golden Bear
04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I just hope that the SFA insisted on "cash up front" before they heard Kingston's appeal.

:wink:

KerPlunk
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Ooh, the failure of Brown's appeal will add more fuel to the "We're pyoor dead victimised innatnowitameanbigmanbyrawaybut....." Proddy plot.

:greengrin

oldbutdim
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't know what all this hand wringing over Scott Broon is about. He deserved to be sent off - although Laferty should have been booked.

The sooner Broon gets away to the Premiership the better. He will never progress his career any further in Scotland.

:devil:

Agreed.

Finishing off the flailing arm dance with Lafferty with the stupid headbutt attempt raised the misdemeanour into violent conduct = red.

No sympathy for the wee hothead.

Although Lafferty was lucky not to get at least a yellow. Mind you I'd book Lafferty for impersonation rather than simulation. What a clown he is.

PaulSmith
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Told ya! :wink:

maturehibby
04-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Fat jambo commenting on BBC radio Scotland on Kingston's sending off said it was a lottery as Liam Millar "GOT AWAY WITH IT"last week and then this week our player didnt ,
What a tosser

EasterRoad4Ever
04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Brown case was a no brainer - should have been downgraded to a yellow and Lafferty should have had a yellow too. Its just embarrassing that the football authorities upheld the decision.

Wonder if they're just sending a little message to Celtic :greengrin

Hibs Class
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Brown case was a no brainer - should have been downgraded to a yellow and Lafferty should have had a yellow too. Its just embarrassing that the football authorities upheld the decision.

Wonder if they're just sending a little message to Celtic :greengrin

If they're sending a message then Celtic have certainly got it. After their immediate claims that "any fair-minded person" would agree it wasn't a red, they are tonight "fuming, stunned and amazed", claiming that there is a "general consensus" the initial decision was wrong.

The red card might have been viewed by some as soft, but anyone with a proper, objective understanding of the laws of the game (don't know if there is anyone at Celtic in that category) would agree that the offence met the definition of a red card offence.

Hainan Hibs
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Brown went in with the heid, definite red.

I was at the sheep yam game and it was a definite red card, never went for the baw at all.

ballengeich
04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Seeing Broon's incident for the first time on highlights I thought it was a certain red. On slow-motion replay I thought it was on the red-yellow borderline. There was no reason for the ref to rescind his decision. Lafferty should have got a yellow, but that can't be awarded through the appeal system.

As for Kingston - it gives him a new excuse not to turn out in maroon. Good on him.

There should still a system put in place where clubs can take an appeal further when a referee stands by his decision. This should cost more than the original appeal and carry the risk of an addition to the suspension if it is unsuccessful.

Mag7
04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Brown put the head in to the guy's chest Zidane-style. He couldn't have expected anything else than a red card for that. Why does anyone think otherwise?

Removed
04-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Brown put the head in to the guy's chest Zidane-style. He couldn't have expected anything else than a red card for that. Why does anyone think otherwise?

C'mon it was hardly Zidane style that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I would expect an opposition player to get sent off for that even if it was soft.

PC Stamp
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
C'mon it was hardly Zidane style that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I would expect an opposition player to get sent off for that even if it was soft.

You'd also expect a goalkeeper to get sent off when he halves an opponent in middle of the penalty area!? :agree:

Removed
04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
You'd also expect a goalkeeper to get sent off when he halves an opponent in middle of the penalty area!? :agree:

Yup defo :agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Both could have been yellows, both could have been reds...no surprise neither have bn changed. The SFA hates both teams anyway so they should have expected this :grr::yawn:

Sir David Gray
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Brown incident YouTube - Lafferty Cheating again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBlmFMxvUhw&feature=related)

Zidane incident YouTube - Zinedine Zidane Head butt in world cup 2006 (Germany) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7-KEa99Fw)

I really don't think there is a comparison between the two incidents. Zidane stops and thrusts his head straight into Materazzi's chest, without any physical interaction, whereas Brown and Lafferty grapple with each other for a few seconds, which results in Lafferty pulling Brown into him and Brown's head subsequently makes brief contact with Lafferty's chest, the two of them then end up on the ground.

Brown and Lafferty were both at it and it was nothing more than handbags from the pair of them. Both should have been booked and nothing more.

Zidane, on the other hand, headbutted Materazzi without any physical grappling of any kind taking place. His actions were quite clearly worthy of a straight red card.

Apart from the fact that the SFA may wish to teach Celtic a lesson after their anonymous outburst last week, I honestly cannot see any other reason for the appeal failing.

Pedantic_Hibee
04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I've just realised I've got an unopened carton of Pringles in the cupboard. Bosh! :thumbsup:

Future17
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I was amazed at the Kingston red card at the time and I'm still amazed now the appeal has been turned down.

If that was a Hibs player I'd be raging.

Dunbar Hibee
05-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Broonies sendin off was never a sendin off. Absolute joke imo.

PaulSmith
05-03-2010, 06:43 AM
For all those saying that they weren't sending offs I'd love to know the reasons why two of our FIFA listed referee's thought it was at the time and after video evidence still believe that going by the rules of the game they were both reds.

HAs any referee, anywhere, came out and said it wasn't a red?

Danderhall Hibs
05-03-2010, 06:56 AM
For all those saying that they weren't sending offs I'd love to know the reasons why two of our FIFA listed referee's thought it was at the time and after video evidence still believe that going by the rules of the game they were both reds.

HAs any referee, anywhere, came out and said it wasn't a red?

Refs can't admit to too many errors or they'd be seen as incompetent. The SFA allow the ref who made the decision to review it themselves at the 1st stage of the appeal. If the ref's not big enough to admit his mistake (or if he's already used his get out of jail cards for the season) the appeal stops there and then!

Other refs rarely criticise/take the opposing view of another ref - if possibile they'll always back eachother up - no mater how wrong they are.

Leithenhibby
05-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Brown went in with the heid, definite red.

I was at the sheep yam game and it was a definite red card, never went for the baw at all.

:agree: Absolutely, straight red for me also. You can't lead with the heid..:greengrin

lapsedhibee
05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
:agree: Absolutely, straight red for me also. You can't lead with the heid..

Particularly if, as on that day, your heid is simultaneously firing several bullets into your opponent's chest.

Westie1875
05-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I see JJ isn't happy (quoted in the sun) and is bringing the fact that Miller won his appeal last week into it :greengrin :bye:

KerPlunk
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I see JJ isn't happy (quoted in the sun) and is bringing the fact that Miller won his appeal last week into it :greengrin :bye:

Here it is :-

"I think it's hard for a referee to make a decision to change his mind. I've always said that in the past. Liam Miller got away with it last week, we have not this week and someone else the following week might."

:grr:

Liam Miller "got away" with what exactly, you fat @rsehole ?

Danderhall Hibs
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Did Liam Miller jump 3 feet in the air to rake his studs down the back of a players bawsack?

Is he comparing apples and pears here?

timebomb
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Browns red card not getting rescinded was a nonsense. Although I don't think Kingstons is as clear cut as a lot of Hearts fans would make out I still feel he was unlucky, bearing in mind the Aberdeen boys leg was higher than his

The problem is refs are very unlikely to want to admit to having made a noel hunt of it. Last season Zaliukas got headbutted by Lee Miller but got the red card instead. Fair enough refs will always get decisions wrong from time to time but having watched the pictures clear on tv he still couldn't bring himself to say he made a mistake.

The system has to be changed so that when an apeal is made the ref who made the initial decision plays no part in the apeal process.

Danderhall Hibs
05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
The problem is refs are very unlikely to want to admit to having made a noel hunt of it. Last season Zaliukas got headbutted by Lee Miller but got the red card instead. Fair enough refs will always get decisions wrong from time to time but having watched the pictures clear on tv he still couldn't bring himself to say he made a mistake.

The system has to be changed so that when an apeal is made the ref who made the initial decision plays no part in the apeal process.

:agree: It's human instinct to go on the defensive when you're challenged. As well as that the refs won't want to change their mind too often 'cos they then run the risk of being called incompetent.

The appeals process is rubbish and needs changed.

I thought Kingston's was harsh at the time but for Jeffereies to start comparing it to Miller's is a nonsense.

matty_f
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Did Liam Miller jump 3 feet in the air to rake his studs down the back of a players bawsack?

Is he comparing apples and pears here?

Fat Jim Knew is using typical Yam-logic here, in the event of any type of failing, simply compare it to your benchmark (in this case, Hibs) and make a statement about them instead.

See also Stevie Fail for numerous examples of this type of behaviour.

CelticEnd
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
The whole appeal's and video review panel system in Scotland is completely and utterly flawed. There is no rhyme no reason why some things are referred and some aren't. Scottish football is in a terrible state and the draconian disciplinary system they have in place doesn't help matters.

johnrebus
05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
The whole appeal's and video review panel system in Scotland is completely and utterly flawed. There is no rhyme no reason why some things are referred and some aren't. Scottish football is in a terrible state and the draconian disciplinary system they have in place doesn't help matters.

Yes, and why is it in this terrible state?

Basically because you and most of the other sheep like fans in this country blindly follow a glory trail led by two odious institutions hell bent on looking after their own interests to the exclusion of everyone else.

The sooner the Ugly Sisters disappear into the Atlantic League/Premiership/Glasgow Cup, the better.

:grr:

PS

Broons red card was a stonewaller.

seanraff07
05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Let me guess Hearts fans will forget about the close to 10 penalties they've been awarded this season and claim their's a conspiracy against them again.:faf:

PaulSmith
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM

It's quite simple, referee looks at the offence that was appealed and if he thinks it was justified after talking it through with the referee's dept then the red card offence will stand.

If he isn't satisfied then he will refer it to a panel.

Simple?

Nakedmanoncrack
05-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Not quite as extreme as the Zidane incident, but that is irrelevant, it was undoubtedly violent conduct and a deserved red card.