PDA

View Full Version : Go Deeks

Jonnyboy
03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
:greengrin

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-tips-tenacious-Riordan-to.6122035.jp

Hibby 2005
03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Deeks will only go if played up front.

HenryMonk
04-03-2010, 02:52 AM
well take note yogi....what you see in training every you'll not see in match play unless you play him up top:agree:

AgentDaleCooper
04-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Deeks will only go if played up front.

this is something i don't quite get - was his most successful season not spent mainly cutting in from the left wing?

Judas Iscariot
04-03-2010, 06:10 AM
this is something i don't quite get - was his most successful season not spent mainly cutting in from the left wing?

There's a HUGE difference in playing left wing in a front 3 which he did previous to now playing left midfield in a midfield of 4..

Also the fact the current midfielders aren't a patch on the ones that played in Dereks most "Successful season" either..

HFC 0-7
04-03-2010, 06:53 AM
The reason Deek isnt having as good a time on the left as previously is because he seems to have lost a lot of pace. Only a couple time this season have I seen him go past a man or move the ball inside making enough space to shoot.

WindyMiller
04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
The reason Deek isnt having as good a time on the left as previously is because he seems to have lost a lot of pace. Only a couple time this season have I seen him go past a man or move the ball inside making enough space to shoot.

As slow as a week in Saughton!

Sandy
04-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Ah well just as usual, what started off as a 'go Deeks thread' has already started to degenerate into a 'he is far to slow/lazy etc etc etc thread'. As has been correctly pointed out on MORE than one occasion he is now playing as a left midfielder and NOT on the left as part of a 3 man strike force. If played in the correct position, he WILL score goals. Mon the Deeks :notworthy:

WindyMiller
04-03-2010, 07:07 AM
It looked to me that we played with a front three on Saturday.

Riordan -Nish - Stokes

J-C
04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
It looked to me that we played with a front three on Saturday.

Riordan -Nish - Stokes

Yes and he beat his man a couple of times and had 2-3 good scoring chances until Nish decided to turn ino a footballer who didn't know how to play football in the second half.

18Craig75
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
It looked to me as if he was extremely low on confidence on Saturday. When he was through on goal in the second half and went round the keeper, a confident Riordan would have just cracked that in from the edge of the box. There was another one in the second half he could have got a better shot in as well.

Hopefully when he gets one the rest will flow.However, I feel his role in the team has developed over the season and maybe now he is more of a provider than scorer? If he can supplement assists with a few goals here and there, then that will suit me!

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
04-03-2010, 09:14 AM

No way has he lost any pace, be serious! He looks strong and quick to me.

Put him against Nish in a 50m sprint and he'd leave him for dead.

hibsbollah
04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
No way has he lost any pace, be serious! He looks strong and quick to me.

Put him against Nish in a 50m sprint and he'd leave him for dead.

Obviously. Nish would forget what to do when the gun sounded.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
There's a HUGE difference in playing left wing in a front 3 which he did previous to now playing left midfield in a midfield of 4..

Also the fact the current midfielders aren't a patch on the ones that played in Dereks most "Successful season" either..

Theres is also a huge difference in the lone striker then and now, back when he was at his best he had O'Connor up top, who could hold up the ball and win headers, whereas Stokes prefers to go in behind and loses the ball more often, making it a lot harder for Riordan to get involved in the final 3rd.

04-03-2010, 09:54 AM

Nish would think he was a chicken ala Monty Python!

Except he'd be a heidless chicken!!! :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM

wouldn't say that - miller is as good as thomson ever was, and mcbride is just a different type of player. broony is a different class though.

hibsbollah
04-03-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm thinking of starting a 'Nish is so stupid that...' thread.

1. Nish is so stupid that he goes to sleep with a tape measure to check how long he sleeps for.

HFC 0-7
04-03-2010, 10:14 AM

When the gun sounded he would do what he always does, hit the deck.

04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Nish is as fast as a Greyhound

...BUS at my mates scrappy.

smurf
04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Well Yogi end this left midfield nonsense and get a system in place that allows him to play where he did so prolifically alongside Garry O'Connor....

Just behind Stokes but slightly to the left...:wink:

truehibernian
04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't think Riordan has pace, even when he was younger. It is his good technique that creates space and gives him an extra yard IMO. This last few games however he has looked more dithery in front of goal and appears to constantly cut inside onto his right foot (especially in Perth when he was almost telegraphing what he was going to do). Played up top would mean we could put in a harder working left midfielder, but he would need to play the offside trap far better than he has been doing. Definitely a better player up front though, and with confidence, a cracking player. His confidence may be affected by the fans giving him stick, as he strikes me as someone who gets overly sensitive (despite the bad boy image that is portrayed by others). A bit like Stokes recently, he has to try and cut out the "rattle out the pram", hands in the air stuff when things don't go right. Get the head down and get back to what you are good at Derek and bang in some crackers.........you know you want to :wink:

04-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't think Riordan has pace, even when he was younger. It is his good technique that creates space and gives him an extra yard IMO. This last few games however he has looked more dithery in front of goal and appears to constantly cut inside onto his right foot (especially in Perth when he was almost telegraphing what he was going to do). Played up top would mean we could put in a harder working left midfielder, but he would need to play the offside trap far better than he has been doing. Definitely a better player up front though, and with confidence, a cracking player. His confidence may be affected by the fans giving him stick, as he strikes me as someone who gets overly sensitive (despite the bad boy image that is portrayed by others). A bit like Stokes recently, he has to try and cut out the "rattle out the pram", hands in the air stuff when things don't go right. Get the head down and get back to what you are good at Derek and bang in some crackers.........you know you want to :wink:

he's not Ivan Sproule or Agathe for sure, but he is quicker than most. I don't think lack of pace or conditioning is an issue like it is with the...fishy one.

Silver Fox
04-03-2010, 10:59 AM
What amazes me about this play deek up front trending topic, is that it's not a new phenomenen, Yogi isn't the first gaffer to play Deek out there, I remember him playing there in the cis cup final we lost to Livingston and just about every manager therafter has played him there from time to time, why?

The only difference with Yogi's system is Deek appears isolated out on the wing at times, sticking rigidly to the position which means he's not taking much part in the build up play and I feel a player of his ability should be taking the game by the scruff of the neck but sadly it seems to pass him by for long periods of games. IMHO.

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I really don't get the 'slag Derek' angle :confused:

I'd wager that outside of the OF there's not a team in the SPL that wouldn't want him in their side

Franck is God
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes and he beat his man a couple of times and had 2-3 good scoring chances until Nish decided to turn ino a footballer who didn't know how to play football in the second half.

Absolute bollocks

He beat his man once in the first half, had three players better positioned to score yet took on the shot and 'passed' it into the keepers arms.

And if Nish hadn't been on the pitch then Deek woudn't have had the three one on ones with the keeper in the second half.

Derek Riordan is a waste of a shirt right now, I've been waiting for him to prove me wrong but he hasn't yet and I doubt he'll do it on Saturday. No other player at ER would get as many chances as him or as much slack from the boo boys.

hibsbollah
04-03-2010, 11:42 AM

I'd wager that outside of the OF there's not a team in the SPL that wouldn't want him in their side

Quite right:agree:
I prefer the 'slag Colin' angle.

Franck is God
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Derek is now at his career high point, he will never play for a bigger club than us again.

All the talent of a great player but the wrong attitude. When he first broke into the Hibs team he was a cracking player, always wanted the ball, never shy to take anyone on or look for a quick one two or have a dig from any angle with either foot. That player would play for any team never mind SPL, the one we have now is an imposter with the same name and I for one am sick of him getting his place in the team ahead of more deserving players.

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Derek is now at his career high point, he will never play for a bigger club than us again.

All the talent of a great player but the wrong attitude. When he first broke into the Hibs team he was a cracking player, always wanted the ball, never shy to take anyone on or look for a quick one two or have a dig from any angle with either foot. That player would play for any team never mind SPL, the one we have now is an imposter with the same name and I for one am sick of him getting his place in the team ahead of more deserving players.

Opinions eh? :wink:

silverhibee
04-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Who.?

Franck is God
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Who.?

I think that Benji, Nish, Gow or Byrne should be partner Stokes up front and we should be playing a four man midfield with one of them being a creative winger. Galbraith on the left or Zemamma/Spoony on the right.

Yogi is forcing Deek into a team in the hope that he does something special, I have no doubts that he is very capable of this but he needs to do it every game not once every five. If we want to finish third and win the cup we need everyone to be at their best every game and if they are not performing they need to be dropped.

smurf
04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Who.?

I'd imagine that whoever it is it must be a player who scores more and creates more than Derek...

I'm struggling...

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=silverhibee;2376327]

I think that Benji, Nish, Gow or Byrne should be partner Stokes up front and we should be playing a four man midfield with one of them being a creative winger. Galbraith on the left or Zemamma/Spoony on the right.

Yogi is forcing Deek into a team in the hope that he does something special, I have no doubts that he is very capable of this but he needs to do it every game not once every five. If we want to finish third and win the cup we need everyone to be at their best every game and if they are not performing they need to be dropped.

Benji - tries too many tricks and flicks and loses possession

Nish - already does partner Stokes up front sometimes

Gow - has shown nothing yet to indicate he 'deserves' in ahead of DR

Byrne - young laddie still learning his trade

Galbraith - see Byrne

truehibernian
04-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I would say that Galbraith has deserved at least a chance given the big impact he has made in games where he has featured (St Mirren cross for Benji header, Saints, bursting run culminating in free kick which Stokes scored from, Parkhead - say no more, and at Ibrox closing down space and working hard). I would argue the case for playing him at left mid and putting Riordan up front. That would give a more balanced and industrious left side IMO with Murray able to run the channel too.

smurf
04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I'll keep saying it and repeating myself time and time again...

But the 'problem' with Derek is the position he's asked to play.

This Left Midfield hasn't and won't work. But that doesn't mean he should be played what some refer to as 'Up front'.

Under Mowbray he played in the main just behind Garry O'Connor slightly to the left.

I see no reason why Derek couldn't play in a similar role 'alongside' Stokes?

Jim44
04-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Hasn't Riordan himself said that he is playing in the position on the left he wants to be in? :dunno:

skipster7
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll keep saying it and repeating myself time and time again...

But the 'problem' with Derek is the position he's asked to play.

This Left Midfield hasn't and won't work. But that doesn't mean he should be played what some refer to as 'Up front'.

Under Mowbray he played in the main just behind Garry O'Connor slightly to the left.

I see no reason why Derek couldn't play in a similar role 'alongside' Stokes?
it seems that all the umpteen threads on this must have been in my imagination.someone should make a poll as a final outcome because there is either your side of the argument (which i agree with) or the people who for some reason think derek has always played in a 442 at left midfield. we seem to have a daily thread on this :confused:

Judas Iscariot
04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
wouldn't say that - miller is as good as thomson ever was, and mcbride is just a different type of player. broony is a different class though.

It's not a case of individuals though, the midfield "Unit" was better back then!

In saying that, I reckon the "Individuals" back then are better than now..

Broony, Boozy, Katie, Glass, Rocastle, Murray etc worked far better as a unit than our current midfield do..

Plus the other guys in that squad complimented the formation better than the current batch do! GOC, Sproule, Fletch, Dean Shiels etc were all capable of doing a decent job..

zosohibee
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Deek's nothin like what he used to goalscoring wise and i would imagine thats because of where he is positioned. To be fair he's probably done enough for the club in his O'Connor days to be considered perhaps not a legend but certainly a Hibs hero. It seems that with the great partnership he had with Garry should, and could, be being replicated with Stokes. I wouldn't say that hes completely past his prime but he needs to be up front to get his form back IMO. Not a ****ing clue why hes on the wing. Maybe we dont have a strong left winger but id sacrifice that for Deek in front any day.

YouTube - Riordan v Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHMPpUe2TZU&feature=related)

That has to be one of the best goals in Derby history. But now he does seem to care more about goin out clubbin than he does about Hibs, if he becomes more mature he'd be a better player. But what we really need is a song. The Deeko Deeko Deeko things just a little bit *****, as is theres only one Miller/Murray.
Just my 'umble opinion...

18Craig75
04-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Deek's nothin like what he used to goalscoring wise and i would imagine thats because of where he is positioned. To be fair he's probably done enough for the club in his O'Connor days to be considered perhaps not a legend but certainly a Hibs hero. It seems that with the great partnership he had with Garry should, and could, be being replicated with Stokes. I wouldn't say that hes completely past his prime but he needs to be up front to get his form back IMO. Not a ****ing clue why hes on the wing. Maybe we dont have a strong left winger but id sacrifice that for Deek in front any day.

YouTube - Riordan v Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHMPpUe2TZU&feature=related)

That has to be one of the best goals in Derby history. But now he does seem to care more about goin out clubbin than he does about Hibs, if he becomes more mature he'd be a better player. But what we really need is a song. The Deeko Deeko Deeko things just a little bit *****, as is theres only one Miller/Murray.
Just my 'umble opinion...

Look where he picked the ball up before that goal, inside left. This is the position I think he should be drifting into from the left of midfield, instead of hugging the touchline all of the time. I doubt Yogi tells him to stick rigidly to the touchline so maybe Riordan needs to get himself looking for the ball more in those positions!

Riordans Boots
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-tips-tenacious-Riordan-to.6122035.jp

Jonny, I noticed this yesterday and I reckon Yogi is aiming to get Deeks playing in a different position and also improve his skills. All for the better.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100303/derek-working-harder-than-ever_2262950_1982475

Franck is God
04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I think the main reason that Deek was so successful under Mowbray is that he was essentially the cherry on top. He was the spare man in every line up, the other nine outfield players all knew their jobs and did them well enough that he was able to float about and add the finishing touch from a variety of positions. He also took every set piece better than anyone else.

Yogi could do the same sort of thing now but our team is simply not as strong, O'Connor was the perfect centre forward for us at that time, unselfish, strong, quick, nice touch and a decent finisher. I like Stokes but he just isn't that type of player, great finisher but his play outside the box doesn't exactly match up.

Rankin, McBride & Miller is not exactly a match for Thomson, Boozy & Brown either, I don't see a Murphy or a Whittaker on the pitch every week either.

We have a good squad but its not good enough to carry Deek, as I've said already if we want to be at the top end of the table and win trophies we need everyone to be at their best in every game.

Pedantic_Hibee
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I've said it time and time again, don't give him a position. Just tell him to go out and play, simple as that.

What he lacks in pace etc., he more than makes up for in intelligence (on the park :wink:).

Chuck his strip to him, tell him to put it on and tell him to go where he thinks he can do the most damage. Simples.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-03-2010, 07:35 PM
It looked to me as if he was extremely low on confidence on Saturday. When he was through on goal in the second half and went round the keeper, a confident Riordan would have just cracked that in from the edge of the box. There was another one in the second half he could have got a better shot in as well.

Hopefully when he gets one the rest will flow.However, I feel his role in the team has developed over the season and maybe now he is more of a provider than scorer? If he can supplement assists with a few goals here and there, then that will suit me!

See I dont buy that at all tbh. I think it takes confidence to try and round a keeper. If he had blasted it first time and missed folk would be saying 'a confident Riordan would have rounded the keeper and tapped into an empty goal'. If u remember his first derby at ER after coming back from Celtic, he got put thru(by the yams defender :agree:)in the last minute and tried to round the keeper who grabbed the ball off the end of his toe. Dont think any of accused him of lacking confidence then. Its all fine margins, he could have tucked away two chances on Sat and wed all be creaming ourselves again. I remember him having numerous quiet games during his first spell but as long as he tucked away the occassional screamer no one seemed to mind.

18Craig75
04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
See I dont buy that at all tbh. I think it takes confidence to try and round a keeper. If he had blasted it first time and missed folk would be saying 'a confident Riordan would have rounded the keeper and tapped into an empty goal'. If u remember his first derby at ER after coming back from Celtic, he got put thru(by the yams defender :agree:)in the last minute and tried to round the keeper who grabbed the ball off the end of his toe. Dont think any of accused him of lacking confidence then. Its all fine margins, he could have tucked away two chances on Sat and wed all be creaming ourselves again. I remember him having numerous quiet games during his first spell but as long as he tucked away the occassional screamer no one seemed to mind..

I would argue it takes more confidence to crack one in from 20 yards than it does from 6 yards after side stepping the keeper tbh. I just feel there was a couple of times where he delayed shooting or did shoot but with little conviction. I'm not having a go at him, I just hope he doesn't start doubting his own ability (as a few fans are beginning to :bitchy:), because his biggest asset has always been his cockyness, if you like, i.e 'I'm gonna shoot fae where I want, when I want!'

One Day Soon
04-03-2010, 08:20 PM

He would pick it up and shoot himself in the foot.

Wotherspiniesta
04-03-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6003220,00.html

:hmmm:

Wotherspiniesta
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Nish is Pish LOL.

hibsbollah
04-03-2010, 10:07 PM
He would pick it up and shoot himself in the foot.

Nish is so stupid he turns on the night light to see if its still dark.

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Nish is so stupid he turns on the night light to see if its still dark.

Nae need :bitchy:

hibsbollah
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Nae need :bitchy:

:paranoid:
Sorry. I was just in a silly mood.

Jonnyboy
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
:paranoid:
Sorry. I was just in a silly mood.

Been there, done that :greengrin

hibsbollah
05-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Been there, done that :greengrin

Thats what Colin said when he resat his Standard Grade Woodwork....

SORRY SORRY i'll stop now:greengrin