PDA

View Full Version : Solar panels on the Stand Roofs

Jack
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Look at the size o’ they roofs! :hmmm:

Surely the club has missed a trick here? Particularly here in sunny Leith!! :cool2:

I would have thought that with the size/area of the 4 stand roofs enough energy could be generated, and/or hot water produced (doesn’t under soil heating run on heated water?) to substantially reduce the clubs outgoings on energy bills.

Silver Fox
03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Good point, I like your thinking there, you should email the club with your suggestion, you might get a £10 clubstore gift voucher for it. :wink: :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Good thinking,

but would they withstand wayward shots from Nade? :devil:

down the slope
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Is there not enough hot air on here without resorting to solar panels ?.

GlesgaeHibby
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Surely the club has missed a trick here? Particularly here in sunny Leith!! :cool2:

I would have thought that with the size/area of the 4 stand roofs enough energy could be generated, and/or hot water produced (doesn’t under soil heating run on heated water?) to substantially reduce the clubs outgoings on energy bills.

:agree: I think it would be an incredibly wise investment if the club were to consider solar roof panels, especially given that the UK government introduces very generous Feed in Tariffs for Solar PV from April.

The club would receive a guaranteed contract of up to 25 years with a fixed price return per kWh produced, as well as a guarantee of being able to sell any excess produced to the National Grid.

WellingtonHibby
03-03-2010, 09:29 AM
I was chatting about this on Saturday, great minds and all that, the power generated could be used to power lighting rigs to encourage pitch regrowth during the winter months, i believe thats what DPL clubs use to keep pitches in good nick?

Keith_M
03-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Solar Panels?!? In Edinburgh?!? Are you lot mad?

Maybe if they had wind turbines in the corners between the stands, that might be more appropriate for our weather.

givescotlandfreedom
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
If this could be done this sounds a very good idea I hope the OP suggests this to the club.

scott7_0(Prague)
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
:agree: I think it would be an incredibly wise investment if the club were to consider solar roof panels, especially given that the UK government introduces very generous Feed in Tariffs for Solar PV from April.

The club would receive a guaranteed contract of up to 25 years with a fixed price return per kWh produced, as well as a guarantee of being able to sell any excess produced to the National Grid.

The return in investment would take up to 5+years, good idea but not a great money making scheme!

Jack
03-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm gonna write to the club :thumbsup:

scott7_0(Prague)
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Say hi from me! :thumbsup:

Andy74
03-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Do you have any on your roof? Proprtionally you would have far more roof to play with in your average house I'd imagine.

jonty
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM

The return in investment would take up to 5+years, good idea but not a great money making scheme!

Would the panels be expected to maintain levels of efficiency for 25 years?
Or would replacements (as panels fail, or technology improves) be part of some contract?

proud_and_green
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I think this is an outstanding idea. This could affect the BREEAM rating of the building and would in the long term i think benefit in terms of rates payable and maybe taxes besides the power saving and cost of fuels.

jacomo
03-03-2010, 10:08 AM

There is considerable scepticism about this scheme - it seems a very expensive way of generating green energy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/01/solar-panel-feed-in-tariff

Still, money talks, eh Mr Petrie? :wink:

GlesgaeHibby
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Would the panels be expected to maintain levels of efficiency for 25 years?
Or would replacements (as panels fail, or technology improves) be part of some contract?

Many firms selling solar panels are providing a 25 year warranty. Output will depend on levels of solar radiation. Efficiency would only drop if the panel was damaged.

The most likely part to break in a solar PV setup tends to be the alternator which converts the DC electricity from the cells into AC electricity for mains use.

HFC 0-7
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Dont think the roofs are designed to support solar panel weight. Solar panels arent particularly good in this country, they would be better installing small wind turbines on the top of the stands, these would produce more energy than solar.

GlesgaeHibby
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Dont think the roofs are designed to support solar panel weight. Solar panels arent particularly good in this country, they would be better installing small wind turbines on the top of the stands, these would produce more energy than solar.

Small scale wind turbines are around 5 times less efficient than solar panels.

cockneymike
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM

To be fair mini wind turbines are generally considered a waste of time in city centre properties - however the new roof might be sufficiently high enough.

Green electricity for the Hibees - I like it, potentially another first for the pioneering Hibernian FC?

Supraninja
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Sack this, we should build a nuclear plant instead. More electricity wins.

HFC 0-7
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Small scale wind turbines are around 5 times less efficient than solar panels.

Less efficient yes, but that doesnt mean they wont produce more energy where they are. Wind turbines produce energy day and night, solar doesnt. Wind turbines are also more robust, whereas solar panels require cleaning, and also the protective layer on top needs to be replaced as they get scratched.

Makalambay
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
A green club through and through.

Jack
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Here it is ...

Hi Scott

A thought occurred to me this morning regarding installing solar panels on the roof of the new stand and indeed the other stands at Easter Road. It’s a huge area, pointing skywards!

I thought it could easily provide sufficient hot water for the needs at the stadium and doesn’t the under soil heating run on heated water?
I mentioned this on our fans forums.

The hot water could also be used to generate power. One reply on a forum mentioned that DPL clubs (Dutch League???) use power lighting rigs to encourage pitch regrowth during the winter months, something we could really do with. I also understand some English clubs use ultra violet lamps for this.

There was one reply that suggested the excess energy could even be sold to the national grid! Apparently the UK government is to introduce very generous Feed in Tariffs for Solar PV [photovoltaic] from April. The club would receive a guaranteed contract of up to 25 years with a fixed price return per kWh produced, as well as a guarantee of being able to sell any excess produced to the National Grid.

Another possible first for Hibernian FC?

Regards

Jack Alvin
Hibernian Supporter.

Say hi from me! :thumbsup:

Too late, it had been sent! :rolleyes:

Do you have any on your roof? Proprtionally you would have far more roof to play with in your average house I'd imagine.

I don’t and personally I wouldn’t think I do have a proportionately larger area. I live of the ground floor of a tenement :greengrin , shared with 13 other flats! I reckon my piece of roof is only wee.

The fact is at ER the 4 stand roofs cover a huge, otherwise, unused area that could possibly be used to make/save money.

I just made the suggestion, I would expect if the Club were to consider this as a possibility they would get someone with the relevant knowledge, technical and financial, to decide if it was a goer.

Gingertosser
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
for a site this big you will be looking at a 40 year payback

Sergio sledge
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Less efficient yes, but that doesnt mean they wont produce more energy where they are. Wind turbines produce energy day and night, solar doesnt. Wind turbines are also more robust, whereas solar panels require cleaning, and also the protective layer on top needs to be replaced as they get scratched.

The structural effects of installing wind turbines on the roof of the stands would be huge, especially if we are talking large scale turbines. PV panels and solar hot water heating panels be easier to install structurally.

robinp
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
The structural effects of installing wind turbines on the roof of the stands would be huge, especially if we are talking large scale turbines. PV panels and solar hot water heating panels be easier to install structurally.

Wind Turbines (even the tiny ones people attach to their chimney stacks) require planning consent, as far as I am aware. :cool2:

dl33
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
the main problem is that the stadium is only really used once a fortnight so unless we sell the electricity generated to the grid we would have to store the energy somehow!

HFC 0-7
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM

I am not talking about large scale wind turbines I am talking about the small ones. You would be able to install a fair few on the top of the stand, which would probably provide more energy than solar panels based on the fact that turbines provide energy at night as well. Solar panels require a lot of care, cleaning etc.

HFC 0-7
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Wind Turbines (even the tiny ones people attach to their chimney stacks) require planning consent, as far as I am aware. :cool2:

the government are trying to change this at the moment to make it easier for people to use green energy.

HFC 0-7
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
the main problem is that the stadium is only really used once a fortnight so unless we sell the electricity generated to the grid we would have to store the energy somehow!

Not really, if you think about the shop, Restraunts, meeting rooms etc, it must be used pretty much every day.

Speedway
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
What a coincidence. I also wrote to the club today.

Here's my letter:

Dear Scott,

I am a supporter of over 30 years standing and I was thinking today, you owe me money.

The money and false hope you've taken off me over the years only to supply me with mince in return is unreal. I'd have been better off buying, well, mince.

I know that you personally weren't at the club for some of that time but let's face facts S, it hasn't changed massively since then now has it?

So I reckon since you had some wonga on the hip to pay for the east, you should repay me while you're so focussed on debt reduction. I calculate that over the years you owe me £82,438 but I'll settle at £83,000 for cash.

I'll look forward to getting me cheque in the post along with a new Le Coq coat since the zip's gone on the first two I built from Lindsay's Independent Traders.

Make sure your mate Rod has got suffiencient funds in the account to clear the cheque.

Love ya

Mr. S. Way

PS - Scott (Prague) says Hi!

greenlex
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
While we are at it we should be capturing the rainwater to water the pitch and flush the toilets etc. Man Utd do this although I bet there is considerably more rain in Manchester than Leith.
Could some of the electricity be used to heat my seat like the ones in my car?

Speedway
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
While we are at it we should be capturing the rainwater to water the pitch and flush the toilets etc. Man Utd do this although I bet there is considerably more rain in Manchester than Leith.
Could some of the electricity be used to heat my seat like the ones in my car?

What about wind turbines on the roof providing zonal climate control so that I can be at a different temperature to the guy sat next to me?

jonty
03-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Many firms selling solar panels are providing a 25 year warranty. Output will depend on levels of solar radiation. Efficiency would only drop if the panel was damaged.

The most likely part to break in a solar PV setup tends to be the alternator which converts the DC electricity from the cells into AC electricity for mains use.

Didn't know that - cheers :thumbsup:

jgl07
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM

There should have plenty of energy to keep the undersoil heating going for the two days when the sun shines, in the summer that is!

Hibby70
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
what about hydro electric power from the urinal trough. Must be enough to power the lights in the away dressing room at half time.

Irish_Steve
03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
If we put turbines on the roofs, the f.eckin stand will take off when it gets windy.

Anyway, we should be going for green roofs, surely

WindyMiller
03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I've been considering putting one of these on my roof,as it gets pretty windy up here. They feed through a meter into the grid, then the electricity they generate is deducted from the electricity you use.

http://www.renewabledevices.com/rd-swift-turbines/overview/

Forthview
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
There isnt an accountant or Finance Director in the UK that would authorise funds for solar panels on our new East stand, RP has proven himself to be a wise man so there's no way it will happen. ROI 2-3%, payback 30 - 50 years. The crucial point is that after about 1.00pm the panels will produce about nothing, its all about geometry and the sun's daily path. Good technology but there's a reason why there's only a handful of installations in this city.:blah:

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
There isnt an accountant or Finance Director in the UK that would authorise funds for solar panels on our new East stand, RP has proven himself to be a wise man so there's no way it will happen. ROI 2-3%, payback 30 - 50 years. The crucial point is that after about 1.00pm the panels will produce about nothing, its all about geometry and the sun's daily path. Good technology but there's a reason why there's only a handful of installations in this city.:blah:

Jeezo, I take it you weren't allowed to watch the football tonight? :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
We'd need to leave one stand free, for the helli pad.

dl33
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
There should have plenty of energy to keep the undersoil heating going for the two days when the sun shines, in the summer that is!

thats surely tounge in cheek, no?:confused:

Jack
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM
I have received a reply from Scott Lindsay. I didn’t ask if I could ‘publish’ it on to here so here’s the gist.

An interesting concept that is not part of the current plans. There is to be a stadium energy efficiency review, planned for later in the year, when this should be explored.

In my 'thanks for getting back to me' message I mentioned that there were a few gems of expertise on here, maybe he'll have a look.

Woody1985
04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I am not talking about large scale wind turbines I am talking about the small ones. You would be able to install a fair few on the top of the stand, which would probably provide more energy than solar panels based on the fact that turbines provide energy at night as well. Solar panels require a lot of care, cleaning etc.

The biggest problems would be with the shadows on the pitch on match day IMO. It would be a distraction to the players.

Unless they are positioned in an area of the roof the would cause no shadows. I suspect that the top of the roof i.e. nearest the pitch would be the most effective place which would result in my hypothetical shadow problem. :greengrin