PDA

View Full Version : Maude McFarlane

hibeeboy
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
just heard sad news that Maud from the Hibs Club has sadly passed away.

A great Hibee taken from us.

RIP Maud

MichelleHibs
01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
sad sad news indeed if true.... Maude was a legend!!

RIP Maude

now hibs go out and win the scottish cup for her.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Sad news, another great Hibby passes away.

franks
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I knew Maude quite well and although she could be a pain at times I always got on with her quite well and had the utmost respect for her.

She was a great Hibbie and ran the Hawkhill branch bus with an iron fist for decades. Even those who fell out with her held her in high esteem she was a real character and will be sadly missed.

RIP Maude a real Hibbie

zelda
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Remember Maude well
RIP Maude

monktonharp
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
that is very sad news. was just asking if anyone had seen her a few days ago. R.I.P Maude.

Keith_M
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I only ever travelled on the Hawkhill branch a couple of times and didn't know Maude personally but she was always a bit of a legend among the support, especially those who travelled regularly to away games.

I'm sure she'll be sadly missed. Commiserations to all friends and family. RIP Maude.

AK86
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
She was a friend of my Granny, so i knew her from a very young age
Quite a character!, not to be messed with.
An absolute true Hibee. Not many like her.
RIP, she will be missed

PaulSmith
01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Terrible news. What a week its been for deaths in the Hibs family.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-03-2010, 02:37 PM

RIP Maud

Sad news, a genuinely legendary Hibs fan, there must be so many of us with a story to tell about Maude!

Jumbo
01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
She was a Hibs legend, will never forget her saying everyweek on the hawkhill bus "get your scarfs down this is a rough area".
R I P Maud

Nakedmanoncrack
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
She was a Hibs legend, will never forget her saying everyweek on the hawkhill bus "get your scarfs down this is a rough area".
R I P Maud

:agree:Never too keen on toilet stops either.

Riordans Boots
01-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear this. God Bless her.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-03-2010, 02:55 PM
An absoulte legend who kept meticulous records as well, I was quite freindly with Maud many years ago and she said to me one night "I remember you when the Hibs club was at Carlton Terrace" and the next week she brought in a book of new members for the year 1962 and right enough there was my name.

A wonderful Hibs fan, true and loyal

RIP hen

RIP
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Really sorry to hear that

Me and my siblings used to get picked up at the Drum Brae by Hawkhill in the period 74 to 77. Was it the Hawkhill bus that used to carry the legendary 'Yoey'?

Folk who run buses derseve medals, none more so a lady of a certain age having to put up with kids like us

Alan, Bobby now Maude - what a week!

My mum's prediction that I would one day reach an age where I'd start reading the funeral notices in the EEN is fast coming true

RIP Maude

MussyHibby
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Didn't know her personally, but saw her many times and heard more of her behaviour even more. :thumbsup:

Very very much a Hibby! R.I.P Maude

woodythehibee
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
very sad news!

Maude was a die hard hibby and a lovely woman :agree:

RIP and let's hope the hibby's can lift the Scottish for you!

:flag:

H18sry
01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
RIP Maud, another sad loss to the Hibernian family :boo hoo:

offshorehibby
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Sad, sad loss, new her well from the Hibs club years ago. RIP

spudhib
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Sad news indeed,knew Maude for nearly 30 years,RIP.

BigKev
01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
RIP Maude.

My first away trips were on the Hawkhill bus and I had to sell the pontoon tickets to cover my fare.

Will be sadly missed by many.

Ray_
01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
From 1968 I was one of the school kids who followed Hibs all over the country on Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus. She took wonderful care of us and I can honestly say that during that volatile time, I can't remember any one of us ever getting in to trouble or hurt.

A special memory was the 1970 Xmas trip to Liverpool, we may have got beaten 2-0, but spending the night in their supporters club afterwards was quite special, especially for a 14 year old like me and with the Liverpool fans starting our new chant H-I-B-E-R-N-I-A-N.

Maude, absolute legend, R.I.P & we know you'll never be far away from Easter Road. Condolences to family and friends.

Jamesie
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
RIP Maude, only met her a few times but a real character.

We've not lost so many in a week or so before, they say it comes in threes, I hope we're not grieving the loss of another great Hibby for a long time.

andudare2
01-03-2010, 04:41 PM
R.I.P to a great hibby:notworthy:

Risboro Hibby
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I was another one of Maude's boys on her bus in the early seventies.

Only reason my Ma would let me travel to all of the away games was she knew her laddie was in safe hands on her bus. If I didnt manage to sell my number of bingo tickets my Ma would always buy up the rest so I could go.

Always remember the year if we sold them througout the close season we got a day at the seaside with a fish tea in a restaurant. Our trip was to Ayr and can still remember Maude keeping all us boisterous lads under control and trying to encourage us to have table manners.

Another true Hibby passing away without seeing a Scottish cup win Was on her bus for both the 6 1 defeat by Smeltic and then the league cup win. That was a great day.

RIP Maude and Thanks again for running the Hawkhill bus for some many years and giving me such wonderful memories

Hibbyradge
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I travelled with Hawkhill from the early 70's into the 80's.

Maude used to work hard at keeping us young laddies under control and we quite often argued, but when my mother died, Maude attended the funeral although they had never met.

I'll always respect her for that and I certainly want to pay my respects.

RIP Maude.

I'm_cabbaged
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Can remember a couple of weeks after getting a bit of a doin in Hamilton Maude approached me in the Hibs club. Knowing that I was going to be off work for a wee while she'd raffled a couple of bottles the night before and gave the equivalent of a couple of weeks wages to help see me through.

God bless you Maude, RIP.

Ravelston Hibby
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Very sad news.

Maude knew my parents well, and as everyone knows she was a legendary Hibby.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Stantons Angel
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
It is with much sadness that i pass on the news of Maude's passing today. A great great HIBBY known by all and everyone.

There must be hundreds of Hibs supporters who have been to many games on maude's bus.

At this time i cant think of any words to describe her, she left her own imprint on many lives and will never be forgotten by the Hibernian family.

God bless you Maude and thanks for the many memories you have left behind.
love you.

THE MAUDETTES

hard as 19
01-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I lived next door to Maude for many years when i was younger, my parents still do. She arranged for me to be a mascot at a Hibs v's Celtic game when i was younger.

A true Hibby.

R.I.P

cabbageandribs1875
01-03-2010, 04:54 PM
truly gutted, maude worked tirelessly for the hawkhill branch and the social club, if fans were legends she would be up there along with the likes of wattie robb who passed away recently, as well as others :agree: RIP maud :boo hoo:

bboy
01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
god bless, the passing of a remarkable lady/hibby.

Bad Martini
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Remember Maude collecting money round the club at Sunnyside, selling bingo and raffle tickets and always managing to do a grand job in selling us all tickets we didny want...testiment to her hard work for the club and always with a cheeky smile on her face! Fantastic Hibby and she'll be missed for sure. Characters like auld Maude are few and far between.

RIP Maude.

Bayern Bru
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I think that even for the younger generations of Hibs fans, Maude is something of a legend in Hibs circles - one of those supporters whom everyone has heard of, and about. I envisage her being remembered fondly for years to come.

RIP Maude, and thank you for everything you did for Hibernian.

Virginia Hibs
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
As a regular in the Hibs Club in the 80's Maude was always the there to point out where you were going wrong, to reprimand you when you were doing things you shouldn't have but over all that she was there to look out for her Hibernian family, whoever you were, wherever you came from and whatever branch you were a member of.

RIP Maude.

BroxburnHibee
01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Sad news again - another Hibs stalwart passes without seeing the cup being won :boo hoo:

RIP Maud.

Jay
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Just passed the news on to my dad and he asked me to post his condolences. He knew Maude many many years ago probably from the Hibs Club.

Aubenas
01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Typical of the spirit of the Hibs' family, someone to be proud of and to remember for the future. I hope the club can commemorate her in some way.
God Bless, Maude.

maudette
01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
From 1968 I was one of the school kids who followed Hibs all over the country on Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus. She took wonderful care of us and I can honestly say that during that volatile time, I can't remember any one of us ever getting in to trouble or hurt.

A special memory was the 1970 Xmas trip to Liverpool, we may have got beaten 2-0, but spending the night in their supporters club afterwards was quite special, especially for a 14 year old like me and with the Liverpool fans starting our new chant H-I-B-E-R-N-I-A-N.

Maude, absolute legend, R.I.P & we know you'll never be far away from Easter Road. Condolences to family and friends.

I was allowed to go,even though i was 16-17,cos it was Maude's bus & my sister travelled on it. Mrs Currie was a great friend & traveller too, she was on top of the tables dancing in the club.. That's the two of them together again.
R.I.P. XX

scoopyboy
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Sad news again - another Hibs stalwart passes without seeing the cup being won :boo hoo:

RIP Maud.

Never witnessed the cup but I think I'm right in saying she would have witnessed us winning the league.

I would settle for that in my lifetime.

atticmonkey
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Maude was bus convenor for Hawkhill branch when I first started to follow the hibees home and away. The picnic branch was our nickname and I remember Maude telling us all to get "the scarves off'. Maude was a one off who loved her club and ran the Hawkhill bus until poor health made that impossible. She was always collecting for the OAPs and you dare not put anything other than silver in the tin if she was watching. Thanks for looking after us all Maude, RIP

NOLA
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
met her a few times down sunnyside, what a character:agree: MADE me buy some tombola tickets "c'mon you get your hands in your pocket" sadly missed RIP

Sloop
01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I was also one of Maud's Green & White Army in the 70s and 80s. She really did look after us and made sure that any newcomers on the bus had someone to accompany to the game if they wanted to.

Many fond memories of Maud ; she was like a surrogate Mum on a Saturday afternoon and will be sadly missed.

Jonnyboy
01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Am truly saddened to hear this news.

Like many other .netters I travelled on the Hawkhill bus as a youngster and I know for a fact that my Dad only let me go to away games as a young teenager because Maude took such good care of us.

Maude was a real character and I hope she'll look down on me kindly as I relate one little story of her convenorship on the bus. Scotland were playing Bulgaria at Hampden and Maude ran a bus which I was on resplendent as were others in a tartan scarf. As the bus neared Glasgow Maude strode up the aisle insisting that we all remove our colours!! Only she would worry that Bulgarian neds might be lying in wait armed with bottles and bricks :greengrin

RIP Maude

ronaldo7
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Sad, sad news.

RIP Maude, not many like you.

Martin
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
RIP Maude.

Knew my gran well, I'm sure they will both be watching the Hibees along with everyone else who has passed away.

Hiber-nation
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM
More sad news.

RIP Maude

weedgiehibbie
01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Very sad news :boo hoo:

Always made me and my dad very welocme in the supporters club prematch when i started going back in the early 90's and always knew us as the glasgow boys, wasnt the same pre-match if maude wasing walking about selling the wee scratchcards bleathering with the fans - a legend and what the "hibee family" is all about

RIP Maude

FranckSuzy
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
RIP Maude.

My first away trips were on the Hawkhill bus and I had to sell the pontoon tickets to cover my fare.

Will be sadly missed by many.

:agree: Me too. Thanks for looking after us. RIP Maude.

The Green Goblin
01-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I knew Maude through her family and always somehow managed to meet her in unexpected circumstances, where we always had a chat about Hibs and our respective families. The last time I saw her was at her 90th Birthday celebrations in the Hibs club, where Sir Tom Farmer turned up to personally pay tribute to her and present her with a present on behalf of the club.

I also remember hearing a remarkable statistic about Maude's attendance of Hibs/Scotland games, including away games and world cups. Perhaps if someone better informed than me might post it.....

Anyway, so sorry that a Hibby as passionate as Maude never got to see us lift the cup. It doesn't seem fair somehow.

RIP Maude. I am proud to have known you.

GG

hibbiedon
01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
The word legend is given out to easy these days but Maude was and always will be a real legend, she kept an eye on my daughters for me and i knew they would be ok on her bus. What a fitting tribute to her if we can lift the cup this year. R.I.P. Maude, Alan & Bobby will have a great fan to cheer them on

Lucius Apuleius
02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Sad tidings from the east indeed. I only met Maude in the club when I used to go there and have not been there for years either. Definitely leave a big hole in a lot of people's lives.

RIP Madam, and condolences to friends and family.

Phil MaGlass
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I used to travel on the Hawkhill Hibs bus in my younger days and I always remember the "right, scarves off boys" call that used to ring out as we came off the motorway to Der Hun.She was a lovely woman,what she has done for Hibs and the fans,raising funds etc should not be under estimated,almost every Hibs fan knew her.We use the word legend willy nilly nowadays but her whole life was spent (from what I saw of her) with Hibs.
She looked after me and my brother when we first went to away games and she always had a kind word or two to say to us.

"right, scarves off boys"

jakki
02-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I knew Maud as Mrs Mac. We used to bump into each other at games and have a wee chat and a laugh.

RIP Mrs Mac

Earl o'Montrose
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Spent a few seasons from the mis-80's with Hawkhill when I was a teenager (one of the earliest away games I can recall being at was at Der Hun, 2-1 to the Hibees, Colin Harris with a last minute winner :thumbsup:).
Always remember one evening, season 87-88, just a few months shy of my 18th birthday, Maude caught me in the Hibs club after coming back from an away game having a wee fly underage pint :devil:
Boy did she give me a roasting!
RIP Maude

--------
02-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Very sad. Condolences to her family. :agree:

MB62
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I used to travel on the Hawkhill Hibs bus in my younger days and I always remember the "right, scarves off boys" call that used to ring out as we came off the motorway to Der Hun.

Am truly saddened to hear this news.

Maude was a real character and I hope she'll look down on me kindly as I relate one little story of her convenorship on the bus. Scotland were playing Bulgaria at Hampden and Maude ran a bus which I was on resplendent as were others in a tartan scarf. As the bus neared Glasgow Maude strode up the aisle insisting that we all remove our colours!! Only she would worry that Bulgarian neds might be lying in wait armed with bottles and bricks :greengrin

RIP Maude

Another Hibernian LEGEND passes away, this has been some six months (C) for the 'family'.

Another wee story about Maude was when we were travelling up to Dundee with the M.B. Branch and, as what was becoming the norm, the bus broke down. Maude's bus was one of a few who stopped to pick us up to take us to the game and there was about six or more of us on the Hawkill bus.
After the game, against Utd and I can't remember the score, we weer sitting in the bus parking area when about half a dozen Utd fans came running in to the area. Needless to say, the M.B. boys were up for the challenge, then Maude came running up, GET YER SCARFS OFF, GET YER SCARFS OFF, as though that was going to disguise us all of a sudden as non Hibs fans :greengrin.
For the next couple of years, there was no love lost between Maude and ourselves, although we treated it very much as a laugh, Maude used to get upset at us. The great lady used to always refer to us as 'THAT BLOODY M & B BUS' and I have to say, we took great pleasure in winding her up.

Over the following years and right to recent times though, whenever I met Maude she was the perfect, happy, smiling lady and we always exchanged pleasantries. I was gutted when I heard she had been knocked down and seriously hurt a few years back.
Like big Watty, Maude was and still is, a HIBERNIAN LEGEND.

R.I.P

Forza Fred
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I knew Maude for ...jeez..it must have been nearly 40 years or so from the
Hibs club.

Last time I was in her company was at the Ivan Sproule hat trick game at Ibrox.

Maude was 91 then I think and had to leave early and return to the bus cos she was getting frustrated at not being able to see with everyone jumping up and down.

I asked a couple of young guys directly ni front of her to sit down so she could see a couple of times, but to be honest, I didn't feel right pulling them up all the time...I mean what else do you do when Hibs are humping the Huns 3-0.?

She attended games as long as she possibly could..and probably even longer than that.

Sadly, it was also the last time I was in the company of Big Wattie who died
not so long ago.

There will be travel club tickets on sale in heaven as we read this no doubt!

Peevemor
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I didn't know her so don't have any memories to share. However, I knew who she was and recognised her 'round about Easter Road on match days.

She was well known simply for being a Hibee, the only person I can think of where this is the case. That alone earns my respect bigtime.

RIP Maude.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
RIP.

I remember Maude managed to get me a ticket for a tie at Albion Rovers, and was fanatical about Hibs.

Another good hibby moves on, and she will be sorely missed......

God bless you Maude.....

Benny Brazil
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
My first away games supporting Hibs were on Maude's bus - being "boisterous" teenagers we thought we knew it all and were making plenty of noise banging on the windows etc - until Maude came and had a quiet word with us!

RIP Maude.

Big90inOz
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Knew Maude for many years from a 15 yr old till I was40, she use to regularly twist my arm and shake the money out my pockets " for the OAP's"

Biggest compliment I can give is to say she was one of the true rare breeds who had Hibs DNA coursing through their blood.

RIP Maude

chorley_fm
02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Sad news, a genuinely legendary Hibs fan, there must be so many of us with a story to tell about Maude!

This^^^^

RIP Maude

legends of 73
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
a very sad loss, knew maude for around 30 years and moved just round the corner from her when i got married was a great shame when she got runover but like the true fighter she was she bounced back.

Maude you'll be sorely missed from the hibs family and the team must win the scottish cup for the likes of you and wattie robb a couple of real dye in the wool hibs fans who'll never be forgotten.

If Only
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Another great Hibby away to the supporters club in the sky. God bless you Maude hope you will be looking down on us and still cheering us on. Please rest in peace.

hibernian36
02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
sad news she lived just around the corner from me. Fond memories of going to my first away games in the late 80's / early 90's getting on the bus outside the old Hibs shop on Easter Road and she was a right wee peggy mitchell on the bus i tell ye ! r.i.p Maude

skipster7
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
i remember the bus that used to run from musselburgh had a few "characters" on it and got up to all sorts.
maude made sure she gave everyone on it a piece off her mind on a regular basis bacause we were representing hibs poorly.most definitely a huge character.
RIP

Berwickhibby
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Maude was a true Hibby, RIP

Gala Foxes
02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
a very loyal Hi-bee - remember her "riding shotgun" on the Hawkhill bus as we all pulled out of coach parks at Airdrie, Partick, Cappielow etc in the 70's/80's

quite often a vocal critic of Edinburgh West in those days but respected by all

We have lost a lot of good good people in the last fortnight

HFC93
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Rip maude

Iggy Pope
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I travelled with Hawkhill from the early 70's into the 80's.

Maude used to work hard at keeping us young laddies under control and we quite often argued, but when my mother died, Maude attended the funeral although they had never met.

I'll always respect her for that and I certainly want to pay my respects.

RIP Maude.

You and me both big D and upmost respect. She definitely moulded a few on that bus and Stevie P (whose own Mum sadly passed away at the weekend) and I were in amongst it from 76 until 1990 and it cost a small fortune on Bingo tickets.

But there was a bus every game and we did get the odd (brief) stop at places like Strathaven, Laurencekirk, Stonehaven or Forfar.

And it seems that auld Sammy reached 100 this year?
(You're still a bum though)

RIP Mrs M

Stevies 1 and 2

maudette
02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Another Hibernian LEGEND passes away, this has been some six months (C) for the 'family'.

Another wee story about Maude was when we were travelling up to Dundee with the M.B. Branch and, as what was becoming the norm, the bus broke down. Maude's bus was one of a few who stopped to pick us up to take us to the game and there was about six or more of us on the Hawkill bus.
After the game, against Utd and I can't remember the score, we weer sitting in the bus parking area when about half a dozen Utd fans came running in to the area. Needless to say, the M.B. boys were up for the challenge, then Maude came running up, GET YER SCARFS OFF, GET YER SCARFS OFF, as though that was going to disguise us all of a sudden as non Hibs fans :greengrin.
For the next couple of years, there was no love lost between Maude and ourselves, although we treated it very much as a laugh, Maude used to get upset at us. The great lady used to always refer to us as 'THAT BLOODY M & B BUS' and I have to say, we took great pleasure in winding her up.

Over the following years and right to recent times though, whenever I met Maude she was the perfect, happy, smiling lady and we always exchanged pleasantries. I was gutted when I heard she had been knocked down and seriously hurt a few years back.
Like big Watty, Maude was and still is, a HIBERNIAN LEGEND.

R.I.P

All these stories on here are wonderful, yes she was a bit of a tyrant but had a heart of gold, regarding her getting knocked down, we went up to the hospital to see her, there she was lying flat on her back ranting on at us about the game, and she wasn't going to be in her bed for long!! she was very frail looking then, she said when she was unconcious that her Sister 'came' for her but refused to go...it wasn't her time....

Oh Maude how i wish i could have met that young eejit who knocked you down & ran off left you there,...

Then a few years later she was named one of Edinburgh's Citizen of the year, and we (the maudettes) along with Alex McLeish were invited to the ceremony at the city chambers...Love & miss you loads already...
Maudette Mags

SunnyLeither
02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Was one of Maudes boys from the age of 11, she was the only reason I was allowed to travel myself to away games. She was a hard taskmaster making sure you selt those bloody pontoons but she always made sure there was a bus for you to travel on.

She was a lady and a gem.

God bless you Maude, you'll be sorely missed by this big laddie.

R.I.P.

StokePogesHibs
02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
If ever a fan deserved a minutes applause it was this lady. Hibs through thick and thin...gave youngsters access to Hibs away. Interesting to see how many folks in thier 40's plus are raising multiple members of their families in the Hibs tradition thanks to the Hibee family she nurtured and was comitted to....RIP

Delboy*
02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
All these stories on here are wonderful, yes she was a bit of a tyrant but had a heart of gold, regarding her getting knocked down, we went up to the hospital to see her, there she was lying flat on her back ranting on at us about the game, and she wasn't going to be in her bed for long!! she was very frail looking then, she said when she was unconcious that her Sister 'came' for her but refused to go...it wasn't her time....

Oh Maude how i wish i could have met that young eejit who knocked you down & ran off left you there,...

Then a few years later she was named one of Edinburgh's Citizen of the year, and we (the maudettes) along with Alex McLeish were invited to the ceremony at the city chambers...Love & miss you loads already...
Maudette Mags

My mate was the guy that rugby tackled the guy as he tried to flee. got hm on the ground n ruffed him up a bit until the police came. Maude flew about 20 yards through the air n must have been made of stern stuff to have pulled thru from that one. the guy was steamin drunk:grr:
My mate never knew Maude n is a Jambo, no that it matters. but he soon learned just how famous she was n i believe went to court to testify against the tw*t.

RIP Maude

One Day
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
R I P Maud

Travelled a lot on Mauds bus in the early 70's, Mrs Mac as she was known to us then. A great woman who never forgot a face, although names were not her strong point.

Very sadly missed

PaulSmith
03-03-2010, 08:49 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibees-pay-tribute-as-the.6118564.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibees-pay-tribute-as-the.6118564.jp)

Nice bit in here about her.

Hibrandenburg
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Her and my auld man used to have some right barnies in the club. Even though my auld fellow was definately in the heavy weight division, wee Maude always got ripped into him.

A lady who stuck to her principles and weaned many a young Hibby into the family. R.I.P. Maude and if heaven is too quiet for you then nip doon stairs and get stuck into my auld man, he'll have missed you really :agree:

hibbymac
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
On first meeting Maude, you could be forgiven for asking, who is this little green & white dragon, but once you got to know the Lady, she was an absolute Diamond.

Maude, you will be missed, RIP.

Mr Pants
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Really saddened to hear the news. Maude will be missed by many of us.

RIP

Gxx

Baldy
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
RIP .. a true LEGEND

I remember driving her bus a couple of time when I was with first Edinburgh, Frankie was her usual driver and she used to moan at me " Frankie doesn't go this way" , Frankie doesn't drive like you" .. but she said to me once ... "I've told Frankie to go your way now"

made my day, she never moaned at me again after that...

Jonnyboy
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think I'm alone in believing that a minute's silence or applause at the Killie match for Maude would be wholly appropriate but I worry that the club will be nervous about doing it for a fan as it might open a door they'd rather keep closed.

Although I could understand that concern I sincerely hope they will do Maude that honour as she is wholly deserving of the gesture

nribs
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I remember travelling on the Hawkhill bus with my brother in the Mid to late 80's, i still remember having to take our scarfs of on the bus as we were travelling through Dumbarton for a cup game as she didn't want the windows panned in

hibbymac
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't think I'm alone in believing that a minute's silence or applause at the Killie match for Maude would be wholly appropriate but I worry that the club will be nervous about doing it for a fan as it might open a door they'd rather keep closed.

Although I could understand that concern I sincerely hope they will do Maude that honour as she is wholly deserving of the gesture

:agree: Don't think there will be an "organised" tribute, but they should certainly make an announcement just prior to kick off and the fans can then applaud if they wish.

Boris
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
First came across "Mrs Mac" in the 70's when I helped to run the Musselburgh bus - was always on our case as to quote an earlier post there were a few "characters" travelled on the bus. Can remember a wee ditty that was sung at the time involving "Mrs Mac" the "Queen" that we used to wynd her up with! Always had our respect as a great Hibby though & she was feard o nobody! There were a few bampot buses in these days but those that liked a wee cairry oot knew which buses to go on & those that liked a wee picnic went with Hawkhill. Nothing wrong with either - part of the great patchwork that makes up Hibernian FC.

Never used the Hibs Club much back in those days - we were never allowed to join the Association! - but used it a lot more after I returned to live in Edinburgh having worked down south for many years. Got to know Maude a lot better then - still had a few barnies with her but could see where she was coming from more & I admired the work she did in her role as membership registrar for the Association, her charity work for the hospice & Hibs in general.

Had one big barnie with her in the club couple of years after I got back - doesn't matter what it was about - so just blanked her for a bit rather than get in another stand up row. Few months later I took very ill & was hospitalised for a while. Well, it was Mrs Mac herself who came in as the representative of the Association to see how I was getting on - not a mention of previous barnie, totally genuine & just wanted to speak about the Hibs & wish me well. You don't forget things like that - ever. Mind you, Association had given her some cash to buy something to cheer me up in hospital - aftershave she got, to put on in hospital!!! Maude - they don't make em like you any more! Respect - RIP.

Ray_
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
:agree: Don't think there will be an "organised" tribute, but they should certainly make an announcement just prior to kick off and the fans can then applaud if they wish.

They mentioned in the evening news about hibs discussing what they should do, quite a few on here rightly mentioned legend & as such, I think that in this instance, it wouldn't be a case of opening the doors to just anyone, over the many decades, Mrs Mac worked tirelessly for the club & that is the difference.

Cal 7-0
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
They mentioned in the evening news about hibs discussing what they should do, quite a few on here rightly mentioned legend & as such, I think that in this instance, it wouldn't be a case of opening the doors to just anyone, over the many decades, Mrs Mac worked tirelessly for the club & that is the difference.

:agree:

I remember Maude on my flight to the Ukraine looking at this Wee Wifey making the trek there with much admiration. Hope I'm able and still active like that when the time comes, a proper stalwart.

RIP Maude.

TRC
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
R.I.P Maude
True Hibbe

Boris
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Just heard that Maude's funeral is next Thursday (March11th) at 3pm at Warriston Crematorium.

Bohemian_Hibee
03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Great to hear so many stories about her. She certainly stood out for me on my first visit to Edinburgh over 20 years ago (and on most visits since then :greengrin) R.I.P

Carheenlea
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM

An appropriate tribute would be for everyone to remove their scarves for a minute in honour of her famous catch-phrase..:greengrin

Agree that the Club would (and probably should) be cautious about a tribute to a fan, but Maude was so well known and unique, that it feels right that the Club should mark her passing in some way.

Hibeescott
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Sad news.....
RIP Maude

maudette
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks for that, I think it would be more than appropriate..

JPrinty
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Maude was my great Aunt. Sadly I never got to know her as my grandad fell out with her and they never spoke for years. Fortunately, they made up before he died and I managed to meet the great woman at his funeral.

Littlest Hobo
04-03-2010, 01:47 AM
She was never too shy in asking you to dig deep in your pockit when she came roond with that big bucket of hers in the Hibs club. All for a good cause. Naturally being a tight arse I had one or two wee spats with her when she came round for a second or even a third helping! The bloomin cheek of it!:greengrin R.I.P MAUDE.

Littlest Hobo
04-03-2010, 01:49 AM

:agree:

Onceinawhile
04-03-2010, 01:53 AM
gutted

KiddA
04-03-2010, 02:31 AM

RIP Maud

I used to go on Mauds bus when I was a kid she made me feel very welcome as I was usually on my own. Rest in Peace a sad day for a huge Hibby

J-C
04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
RIP Maude, a true Hibby till your last beathe.

darwenhibby
04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Her and my auld man used to have some right barnies in the club. Even though my auld fellow was definately in the heavy weight division, wee Maude always got ripped into him.

A lady who stuck to her principles and weaned many a young Hibby into the family. R.I.P. Maude and if heaven is too quiet for you then nip doon stairs and get stuck into my auld man, he'll have missed you really :agree:

:faf:

They two argue? never!!:wink:
If Sky Box Office Could only show their first Barnie

FWIW I think taking Scarfes off for one minute on Saturday would be a good tribute to the Old Dear.

RIP Maude God Bless Ye

keithsansiro
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Not been on the net for a few days so I was truly sadded when I read the news.

Remember having to dig into my pocket many times for her various raffles and collections etc at the Hibs Club...not that I grudged a penny of it mind.

A true faithful Hibby in every sense of the word.

God Bless you Maude & my condolences to all friends and family.

R.I.P.

Keith

hibee_girl
04-03-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100303/maude-mcfarlane_2262950_1983228

Such sad news, RIP Maude xx

fatbloke
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Very sad news. The bad news really does come in threes. Remember one incident on our old Musselburgh bus involving Robin Rae being on our bus at Tannadice when the bold Robin was supposed to be injured. Told me once there was more chance of the Ardmillan Hearts bus being allowed into the Association than your terrible Musselburgh bus - don't think she really meant it.

Maybe she can use her famous powers of influence on the big man upstairs to help us win the Scottish - I'm sure she will discuss it with him - discuss might not be the right word, God or not he still not get a word in and in a discussion I know who my money would be on.

RIP Maude you were one magnificent lady and a truer, more dedicated Hibby I have never met and I have met a few. Cue Hibernian FC and some tribute to the great lady.

wazoo1875
04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Was very saddened to read of Maudes death , she was a great Hibee with a heart of gold !

R.I.P. Maude

johnrebus
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Along with Jock McEwan from Alloa, Maude was the the greatest Hibbie I ever knew.

Jock will probably be in a different place I'm afraid, but I'm sure he'll be in touch with Maude for a blether.

RIP

keith196247
05-03-2010, 12:34 AM
maud was one off the first people i ever met at easter rd she was bossy but kind one in a million god bless you sweetheart r.i.p

NaeTechnoHibby
05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I never knew Maude, but knew who she was and seen her around a few times, and her passing is so sad. RIP Maude.

I'm sure if IIRC she was being escorted by Jackie Mac Snr from a bus outside Hampden, at the DU semi-final, say's it all about the regard she held :agree:

Albanian Hibs
05-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Just heard the very sad news.

RIP Maude.

Aaron
05-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I used to go onto Maude's bus many a time back in the late 90's. She was such a character and will be missed.

Lets hope we can win the cup for you this year Maude.

RIP

seanraff07
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I do an EEN paper round and have been delivering it to her door for a few years now and have had a few chats with her in the past and she's nice to talk to, RIP Maude.

BT58
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
maud,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
she was DEFO,,,,,MRS HIBERNIAN
she was forever selling raffles,tickets, whatever to generate cash for charities, remember travelling through to hunsville,,,,,we where just at glasgow,,,,when up came the words RIGHT LADS SCARVES OFF,,,,
we must have been still 15 minutes away !!!!!!!!
REST IN PEACE MAUD
you certainly deserve all the peace
gone but never forgotten
hb

capitals_finest
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Maude was not only a credit to the hibernian family but to Edinburgh as a whole. People like her make me so proud to be a hibee, RIP Maude

Eire hibs
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
RIP Maude. Took your bus a few times in the mid to late eighties with a few mates. Don't recall you thinking much of us but at least you let us on.

I was only thinking of Maude the other day with all the Sam Martinez press. Respect.

King Paddy
05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Maude you were a wee gem and will be sadly missed by all us Hibees. R.I.P.

Eaststand
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Maude you had a heart of gold and in these days where the word legend is banded about too often, it is a word that describes you ---
you are and always will be a legend.

I've read lots of postings in this forum and also on the EEN and it's obvious how many folks loved you and are goni miss you :-(
...I'm sure we all had funny stories involving you, especially when we were at away games, when you put a few of us in our place when we were going throug the daft laddie stage.
You'l be missed and I hope the Club find a way to mark your wonderful efforts for our Club...hows about the new East stand being named after Maude ?

It seems to me like a fitting tribute to a woman who lived and breathed Hibs and raised thousands for our Club and for Charities..C'mon folks, if you agree with me about the Maude MacFarlane Stand, let's get the ball rolling on this one..........

RIP Maude

Swedish hibee
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Just heard. Very sad news indeed.

She never ever liked me.. Was too loud for her bus and was sent over to the Stanton branch instead!!!
Last time we met at a game, she had a go at me for no following the hibs anymore..tried to explain where i lived but she was having none of it!!!

RIP. You'll be remembered with a story and a smile.

Ringothedog
07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Maude, will be sadly missed. condolences to all her family and friends. As a thought for a tribute could the club register her name as a player and give her a squad number ?

Baldy Foghorn
07-03-2010, 07:18 PM
All these suggestions about naming stands after fans are not very appropriate IMO, there are a number of other people who have sadly passed away, who were good Hibs people and no such accolade has been afforded to them. It would also start a precedent, which I feel the Club would be uncomfortable with.....

Riordans Boots
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
A nice wee tribute to Maude at the bottom of this link from Grant Stott.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Grant-Stott-Right-now-I39ll.6131577.jp

And you can leave a message or light a candle here - http://announce.jpress.co.uk/3670137