PDA

View Full Version : Question Olympic medals

suavegav
28-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Ive just seen the medal table from the winter olympics and Britian managed to win 1 medal, a gold medal in the luge. Some people have argued in the past, especially the unionists, that we are too small a nation to have our own olympic team at the games as we would have any chance of winning anything. Well, i think Britian should join with France at he next Olympics then we might just have a little success the the winter games, as we are obviously hopeless at anything involving snow and ice.
When are the Government gonna campaign for the winter games to be held in Scotland. The weather we've had over the last 3-4 months would suit it perfectly, or are we only good enough for the Commonwealth (Empire) games every now and again.

JE89
01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Ive just seen the medal table from the winter olympics and Britian managed to win 1 medal, a gold medal in the luge. Some people have argued in the past, especially the unionists, that we are too small a nation to have our own olympic team at the games as we would have any chance of winning anything. Well, i think Britian should join with France at he next Olympics then we might just have a little success the the winter games, as we are obviously hopeless at anything involving snow and ice.
When are the Government gonna campaign for the winter games to be held in Scotland. The weather we've had over the last 3-4 months would suit it perfectly, or are we only good enough for the Commonwealth (Empire) games every now and again.

Sure and why don't the Scottish football team join up with Spain as we seem to have little succes in fitbaw :bitchy:

J-C
01-03-2010, 09:16 AM

We've never really had a lot of success at the Winter Olympics, we get the occasional medal now and then and a few top ten finishes. Apart from thr Cairngorms, which only has snow a month or so a year, it's a rich peoples sport and unless you can ski 3-4 months a year in Austria or Switzerland then we'll only ever get the odd medal.

--------
01-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Please explain how 'joining with France at the next Olympics' (I assume you mean 'Winter Olympics'?) going to mean 'we' would have a chance of winning things? Do you mean we'd all be expected to cheer on the French? Not likely.

I actually found it quite refreshing to be able to watch sport with no real partisanship at all. Especially after the British curlers disappeared from sight.

Except, of course, for cheering on a certain hockey team or two.... :devil:

It wasn't the luge, btw. Amy Williams won the women's skeleton.

suavegav
01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Sure and why don't the Scottish football team join up with Spain as we seem to have little succes in fitbaw :bitchy:

Buts thats my point, small nations like scotland shouldnae be embarressed if we win nothing, being there and taking part is the main thing. This illusion that we can only be successful if we compete as part of the British set up is nonsence.

suavegav
01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Please explain how 'joining with France at the next Olympics' (I assume you mean 'Winter Olympics'?) going to mean 'we' would have a chance of winning things? Do you mean we'd all be expected to cheer on the French? Not likely.

I actually found it quite refreshing to be able to watch sport with no real partisanship at all. Especially after the British curlers disappeared from sight.

Except, of course, for cheering on a certain hockey team or two.... :devil:

It wasn't the luge, btw. Amy Williams won the women's skeleton.

France was off the top of my head, how about joining with Norway then.

steakbake
01-03-2010, 03:18 PM

I doubt they'd want us around, bringing them down with our **** athletes. Norway are more than capable enough of winning medals and have put on a very successful Winter Olympics in recent times.

PeeJay
01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
We've never really had a lot of success at the Winter Olympics, we get the occasional medal now and then and a few top ten finishes. Apart from thr Cairngorms, which only has snow a month or so a year, it's a rich peoples sport and unless you can ski 3-4 months a year in Austria or Switzerland then we'll only ever get the odd medal.

Skiing's a fair point, but there are other medals to be fought for surely? For example, indoor skating, speed skating or ice hockey events. The UK has to invest much more in ice rinks/halls to hold such events and enable youngsters to play and train regularly in them, and do so at high levels. Germany won so many medals in Vancouver because it does just that. It's not solely to do with being rich really, I think it's more of an attitude thing and a willingness to invest. With all the lottery millions, I'm sure something could be done to improve the UK's success rate - just turning up on the day won't work.

Phil D. Rolls
01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I was unsure how Scotland would cope with the likes of the ERM, but now I can see that we would be as well going it alone!! To think I would have done time??!!!??:grr:

ArabHibee
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
France wasn't a good choice for us to join up with. What about Poland?

J-C
01-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Skiing's a fair point, but there are other medals to be fought for surely? For example, indoor skating, speed skating or ice hockey events. The UK has to invest much more in ice rinks/halls to hold such events and enable youngsters to play and train regularly in them, and do so at high levels. Germany won so many medals in Vancouver because it does just that. It's not solely to do with being rich really, I think it's more of an attitude thing and a willingness to invest. With all the lottery millions, I'm sure something could be done to improve the UK's success rate - just turning up on the day won't work.

I think the problem you've got here is that the majority of the sports in the winter olypics are very minority orientated. Tell me, where in Britain is there a bobsleigh slope to practice on, or a ski jump, ski moguls or even a half pipe. The majority of these are based over in Europe and are genereally the rich that partake in them, apart from curling and skating where an ice rink is all you need and even these are few and far between.

Part/Time Supporter
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
On a similar theme, Medvedev has demanded the heads (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8543560.stm) of all Russian Olympic officials due to their pisspoor performance in Vancouver. I'm guessing that he watched their horsing by Canada in the hockey, or the figure skating (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/ice_hockey/8537222.stm).

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
France wasn't a good choice for us to join up with. What about Poland?

Jamaica.

:agree:

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

On a similar theme, Medvedev has demanded the heads (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8543560.stm) of all Russian Olympic officials due to their pisspoor performance in Vancouver. I'm guessing that he watched their horsing by Canada in the hockey, or the figure skating (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/ice_hockey/8537222.stm).

"For a long time we have benefited from Soviet achievements, at some point they ran out,"

.... probably at the same time the drugs ran out. :devil:

Part/Time Supporter
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Jamaica.

:agree:

Cool Runnings

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Cool Runnings

Trying to find the Billy Connolly routine about training for the Luge.

Classic.

--------
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM

We'd then be cheering on Norwegians and not Brits.

Point is, we just rubbish at winter sports.

And we always will be.

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

I have to say this must be the silliest suggestion I have heard for a while.

We're crap at something, so let's join up with someone who's better... it'll make us less crap.

You'll be wanting Hearts to join up with Hibs next.

PeeJay
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I think the problem you've got here is that the majority of the sports in the winter olypics are very minority orientated. Tell me, where in Britain is there a bobsleigh slope to practice on, or a ski jump, ski moguls or even a half pipe. The majority of these are based over in Europe and are genereally the rich that partake in them, apart from curling and skating where an ice rink is all you need and even these are few and far between.

You are of course correct with the sports you mention (...bobsleigh, ski jump, ski moguls, half pipe) in that the UK winter conditions would not meet requirements. I was suggesting the area of indoor winter sports and that requires investment. There's no reason why the UK could not play indoor winter sports, surely?

I also really think the "rich" man's sport you keep alluding to is a fallacy - I was a regular skier when I lived in Munich, the mountains are full of people, and believe me they are not all rich. The kids who learn to ski and so on, do so in clubs and they are not all rich Germans. It involves kids joining clubs and attending them regularly for training. Germany has the facilities (indoor) and the kids make use of them. if the UK went down that road it too would produce winners at some stage.

sg7nil
02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
In the event that the UK did split up for the winter olympics, would England, Wales amd NI enter teams in the curling? To my knowledge these countries have no curling history or competitive clubs..

Part/Time Supporter
02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
In the event that the UK did split up for the winter olympics, would England, Wales amd NI enter teams in the curling? To my knowledge these countries have no curling history or competitive clubs..

England have sometimes qualified for the top division Euro championships, but usually with guys from Northumberland who play at Kelso. As you say there aren't any ice rinks used for curling in England, although I think the authorities were trying to change that.

J-C
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
You are of course correct with the sports you mention (...bobsleigh, ski jump, ski moguls, half pipe) in that the UK winter conditions would not meet requirements. I was suggesting the area of indoor winter sports and that requires investment. There's no reason why the UK could not play indoor winter sports, surely?

I also really think the "rich" man's sport you keep alluding to is a fallacy - I was a regular skier when I lived in Munich, the mountains are full of people, and believe me they are not all rich. The kids who learn to ski and so on, do so in clubs and they are not all rich Germans. It involves kids joining clubs and attending them regularly for training. Germany has the facilities (indoor) and the kids make use of them. if the UK went down that road it too would produce winners at some stage.

They're not all rich German's but for us Brits to go over there for months a time to practice skiing you'd have to be pretty well off, also you lived there when you were skiing, not travelling over every few weeks which would cost a fortune.