PDA

View Full Version : Brown & Gow

Alfred E Newman
27-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Can someone explain to me why Yogi took the luxury of signing yet another striker and another goalkeeper in the transfer window? Prior to Christmas we were sitting comfortably 3rd and in a perfect position to make a push for 2nd with the addition of a couple of the right type of players. Everyone seemed to be agreed that we desperately needed a decent full back with a bit of height and similarly a bit of steel in the midfield where we are also short on height. As it stands now Brown seems to be nowhere near the first team with Stack strangely replacing Smith, the most reliable goalkeeper I have seen at ER for a long time, and Gow nowhere to be seen today. Saddly a great opportunity was missed I think as we now appear to have shot our bolt big style and Yogi left with few options at his disposal.

Speedway
27-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Can someone explain to me why Yogi took the luxury of signing yet another striker and another goalkeeper in the transfer window? Prior to Christmas we were sitting comfortably 3rd and in a perfect position to make a push for 2nd with the addition of a couple of the right type of players. Everyone seemed to be agreed that we desperately needed a decent full back with a bit of height and similarly a bit of steel in the midfield where we are also short on height. As it stands now Brown seems to be nowhere near the first team with Stack strangely replacing Smith, the most reliable goalkeeper I have seen at ER for a long time, and Gow nowhere to be seen today. Saddly a great opportunity was missed I think as we now appear to have shot our bolt big style and Yogi left with few options at his disposal.

Because we couldn't afford the players we wanted in defence and attack and we were expecting Benji and Maka to shuffle off in January.

We were NEVER going to push for second as long as there's a hole in my ****

Alfred E Newman
27-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Because we couldn't afford the players we wanted in defence and attack and we were expecting Benji and Maka to shuffle off in January.

We were NEVER going to push for second as long as there's a hole in my ****

What are Gow and Brown costing us? Agreed it was unlikely we were going to finish second but it now looks more unlikely we will even finish 3rd or 4th.

PaulSmith
27-02-2010, 08:27 PM
What are Gow and Brown costing us? Agreed it was unlikely we were going to finish second but it now looks more unlikely we will even finish 3rd or 4th.

So by adding a couple of strong players to the squad this has cost us the chance of 2nd place?
Still believe we're well in the hunt for 3rd are we not

vahibbie
27-02-2010, 08:51 PM
So by adding a couple of strong players to the squad this has cost us the chance of 2nd place?

Strong players, wrong positions.
Done nothing to enhance our prospects of a challenge for second place.
Seemingly doing nothing to help our prospects of being 3rd either.:grr:

Speedway
27-02-2010, 08:55 PM

We're still in the hunt, but we've given away the advantage, Keegan style.

Hibby 2005
28-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Gow and Brown may well be the answer long-term but IMHO were not needed in Jan.
A RB and CH were and whatever the circumstances that led to that not happening the reality is we've lost momentum.

Speedy
28-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Gow and Brown may well be the answer long-term but IMHO were not needed in Jan.
A RB and CH were and whatever the circumstances that led to that not happening the reality is we've lost momentum.

I'm not sure a CH was/is really required. We have Bamba, Hogg and Hanlon plus others as back up.

Can anyone suggest a RB or CH that was available and would have been an improvement?

Captain Trips
28-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure a CH was/is really required. We have Bamba, Hogg and Hanlon plus others as back up.

Can anyone suggest a RB or CH that was available and would have been an improvement?

We needed a CH because we have those 3 players you mentioned, no I cant name any available as I am not in a position to find that out unlike people at Hibs, because we cannot say who is available doesnt mean we dont need in that position.

Alfred E Newman
28-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Any reasonable right back would do as we don`t have one, and surely there must be a midfield player somewhere around the leagues of better quality than Rankin or Stevenson that is over 5 foot 6 inches tall.

stubru59
28-02-2010, 09:46 AM
We brought in what we could, not necessarily what we needed. In fairness to Hughes though, he did say we had lost out on potential signings.

The January transfer window is a poor market to work in. Competitors are reluctant to let players go.

Players nearing the end of contracts invariably sit still on the basis that something better might turn up.

The rebuild starts in the summer. Meanwhile there is everything still to play for.

J-C
28-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Didn't need a goalie and Gow may prove to be a luxury we don't need, can't believe there wasn't a single player somewhere down south that we could've got on loan that fitted the bill in midfield and CH

Speedy
28-02-2010, 11:45 AM
We needed a CH because we have those 3 players you mentioned, no I cant name any available as I am not in a position to find that out unlike people at Hibs, because we cannot say who is available doesnt mean we dont need in that position.

It just seems strange that so many people are suggesting we play Hogg and Hanlon because they were playing well together, yet we need another CH which would mean Bamba being 4th choice.

Aubenas
28-02-2010, 11:50 AM
We brought in what we could, not necessarily what we needed. In fairness to Hughes though, he did say we had lost out on potential signings.

The January transfer window is a poor market to work in. Competitors are reluctant to let players go.

Players nearing the end of contracts invariably sit still on the basis that something better might turn up.

The rebuild starts in the summer. Meanwhile there is everything still to play for.
:top marks

Franck is God
28-02-2010, 12:50 PM
We have a good strong squad that is still more than capable of finishing third but Yogi is still searching for his best team, we all as fans think we know what it is but then we aren't paid to pick it....or moaned about when we get it wrong!

I also think that the majority of posters suggesting that we will struggle to stay in 4th or 5th are the same ones that thought we should be challenging for second and splitting the In Firm.

League positions are decided over 38 games not just the last five we've played! If we do end up in Europe or even fall down the table a bit its because that's what we deserve, that is when the plaudits or the criticism should be dished out.

Alfred E Newman
28-02-2010, 06:08 PM

So what are you saying? Surely the rebuilding of the side started when Hughes took over, either that or this season has been a waste of time.
The point I was making in the OP was that the team was in a good position in the league before Christmas and the strengthening of a couple of positions ( not goalkeeper or striker) would have cemented 3rd place.
As it is it now looks possible that we could miss out on Europe once again.

Captain Trips
28-02-2010, 06:22 PM
It just seems strange that so many people are suggesting we play Hogg and Hanlon because they were playing well together, yet we need another CH which would mean Bamba being 4th choice.

I didnt suggest that at all, I have question marks over the 3 of them as CH or RB, Bamba wouldnt be 4th choice I would have him in front of a pairing as Def Mid

scoopyboy
28-02-2010, 07:05 PM
So what are you saying? Surely the rebuilding of the side started when Hughes took over, either that or this season has been a waste of time.
The point I was making in the OP was that the team was in a good position in the league before Christmas and the strengthening of a couple of positions ( not goalkeeper or striker) would have cemented 3rd place.
As it is it now looks possible that we could miss out on Europe once again.

I think you are over simplifying.

You make it sound so easy, simply bring in two signings and weve got third place.

I didn't understand the Brown signing myself (wrongly thought Stack was finished) but Gow could still be a big help.

In the coming weeks we will lose Nish, Bamba and probably Miller, McBride and possibly others as suspensions kick in.

Crab apple
28-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Darren Barr:duck:

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2010, 11:22 PM
How now brown gow?

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-02-2010, 11:37 PM
How now brown gow?

:tee hee:

basehibby
28-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Any reasonable right back would do as we don`t have one, and surely there must be a midfield player somewhere around the leagues of better quality than Rankin or Stevenson that is over 5 foot 6 inches tall.

DVZ could easily have been described as a reasonable RB - and he just got launched in the summer for not being good enough.

I think Yogi was trying to strengthen at RB (pacey youngster from Man U was in the frame IIRC, not to mention Darren Barr) but the budget wouldn't stretch to it.

While I'd agree that positions like RB/CB/Defensive Mid could do with beefing up, I don't think it's worth bringing someone in just to fill a jersey if they're not going to improve the squad.

From what I can see I think Yogi's strategy involves signing players who ARE good enough when they come available at a price we can afford. On the whole I agree with this strategy.

Oscar Lomax
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM

Bamba will be a centre half when I become a fighter pilot in the RAF.

Oscar Lomax
01-03-2010, 05:57 AM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I remember when the transfer window closed, everyone was saying just how well we'd done to keep everyone, and add Brown and Gow. The word on the net was Yogi had done good. How fickle those fans have become. A little excitement over a 2nd place spot, has got fans so excited, 4th place, and a fight for 3rd is not acceptable anymore.

This is the time of the season where the fans should be getting behind the team, its not as if we compete for a European spot that often, yet it seems to me some are happy to stick the boot in, when we need them the most.

If we were struggling to get top 6, and out the cups with nothing to play for, i could see why, but FFS we have a real chance to do something this season, yet some cant wait to get stuck in. These fans get the team they deserve.

Danderhall Hibs
01-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I remember when the transfer window closed, everyone was saying just how well we'd done to keep everyone, and add Brown and Gow. The word on the net was Yogi had done good. How fickle those fans have become. A little excitement over a 2nd place spot, has got fans so excited, 4th place, and a fight for 3rd is not acceptable anymore.

This is the time of the season where the fans should be getting behind the team, its not as if we compete for a European spot that often, yet it seems to me some are happy to stick the boot in, when we need them the most.

If we were struggling to get top 6, and out the cups with nothing to play for, i could see why, but FFS we have a real chance to do something this season, yet some cant wait to get stuck in. These fans get the team they deserve.

It seems that some folk have been waiting on a bad spell for months BH. It seems too many to simply be "undercover" KB'ers so I can only guess that we have a lot of fans that prefer to lose and put the boot in.

Captain Trips
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Fans are/were behind team, team was getting credit and rightfully so, team was IMO in hunt for 2nd big time, team let themselves and us down (me anyway) with some very poor displays of late, now sees us still in good position but one I feel the players showed could be better.

I was not one of the ones happy about transfer window, Gow may go on but on surface IMO I would have liked to see some changes at bk or in middle

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Fans are/were behind team, team was getting credit and rightfully so, team was IMO in hunt for 2nd big time, team let themselves and us down (me anyway) with some very poor displays of late, now sees us still in good position but one I feel the players showed could be better.

I was not one of the ones happy about transfer window, Gow may go on but on surface IMO I would have liked to see some changes at bk or in middle

Not all the fans, even when we were doing well, some were still getting their digs in, the more vociferous ones now. Imho 2nd was never an option, but we were in contention for a while. Exciting times eh. :thumbsup: Now we are in contention for a European place, that's suddenly not good enough, and its now slaughter all and sundry, suddenly those players that got us into competition for 2nd place, are now relegation fodder.

We had calamity in goal, no right back. Hogg who is useless. Bombscare Bamba. Rankin who is never good enough, McBride who came from Falkirk, Riordan the lazy sod, Nish who's pish. How the hell did we raise expectations with all those crap players, when if these players are that bad, we should be fighting a relegation battle.

But no, we are in a fight for third place, and some of the support seem to me, to resent that, and cant help put the boot in to scupper it. :confused:

Hibby 2005
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
It seems that some folk have been waiting on a bad spell for months BH. It seems too many to simply be "undercover" KB'ers so I can only guess that we have a lot of fans that prefer to lose and put the boot in.

The last part of that sentence is just ridiculous. It's perfectly normal for fans to vent their frustration/dissapointment after a run of games that has seen us gain 2 points from a possible 15. Hibs fans don't wait for a bad spell, over the years they have come to expect it and it's that feeling of deja vu that feeds the anger that spills over onto this message board. Having ones hopes and expectations raised and then dashed while supporting Hibs are all too familiar but I truly thought Yogi had erased much of this with our early season form. The inconsistency of Hibs and Yogi in recent weeks have raised doubts in mind at least that we're any closer to solving this conundrum.

ahibby
01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Yogi has to take some responsibility for team selection and making the wrong subs or not making subs. I don't put it down to two players coming in. We look sluggish and slow to react and read the game. SJ were the opposite and maybe having played three games less in these kind of conditions and on bad pitches has a positive affect; or maybe we are just getting things wrong. I prefer Stack because he is more commanding at the back and is more used to playing with the current defenders. Also Smith might be affected by being in the team during our only really bad run this season, likewise Gow. We were poor on Sat IMO and yet like usual we had opportunities to kill them off and poor finishing let us down.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Yogi has to take some responsibility for team selection and making the wrong subs or not making subs. I don't put it down to two players coming in. We look sluggish and slow to react and read the game. SJ were the opposite and maybe having played three games less in these kind of conditions and on bad pitches has a positive affect; or maybe we are just getting things wrong. I prefer Stack because he is more commanding at the back and is more used to playing with the current defenders. Also Smith might be affected by being in the team during our only really bad run this season, likewise Gow. We were poor on Sat IMO and yet like usual we had opportunities to kill them off and poor finishing let us down.

What proof do you have if he'd made different team selections, or made different substitutions, results would have been better or worse?:confused:

Sandy
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Not all the fans, even when we were doing well, some were still getting their digs in, the more vociferous ones now. Imho 2nd was never an option, but we were in contention for a while. Exciting times eh. :thumbsup: Now we are in contention for a European place, that's suddenly not good enough, and its now slaughter all and sundry, suddenly those players that got us into competition for 2nd place, are now relegation fodder.

We had calamity in goal, no right back. Hogg who is useless. Bombscare Bamba. Rankin who is never good enough, McBride who came from Falkirk, Riordan the lazy sod, Nish who's pish. How the hell did we raise expectations with all those crap players, when if these players are that bad, we should be fighting a relegation battle.

But no, we are in a fight for third place, and some of the support seem to me, to resent that, and cant help put the boot in to scupper it. :confused:

Nicely put G, their is a fine balance between doom and gloom, and happy clappers. I am not happy at recent results (can't say performance because I haven't seen us play), if we continue to lose points and slide down the table, then come May I will be p1ssed off, but until then I will wait and see what transpires. Oh aye and the Gorgie tramps are still gash.