18/03/07
27-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Was it a penalty for saints today? from where i sit,i would say NO

Barney McGrew
27-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Looked like an absolute stonewaller to me

J-C
27-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Would like to see it again but to me it looked like ball played man, then again his hands were above his head and that's a no no.

hibee_girl
27-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Stonewaller :agree:

couldn't believe Miller had the cheek to complain about it

Broken Gnome
27-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Should they not have had one shortly beforehand as well?

Beefster
27-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Looked like an absolute stonewaller to me

Me too.

Swoosh
27-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Stonewaller, Dont think Miller knew much about it and he certainly did not mean to hand the ball.

But if your arms are up in the air like that and the ball strikes them then you gonna get done.

matty_f
27-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I thought it was a penalty, Miller's hands were up.:agree:

heretoday
27-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Hibs rooool there is no question....

in ...Hibs will win

Jonnyboy
27-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Yogi disagrees

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8541050.stm

Arch Stanton
27-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Stonewaller, Dont think Miller knew much about it and he certainly did not mean to hand the ball.

But if your arms are up in the air like that and the ball strikes them then you gonna get done.

I know it often get's penalised - Arsenal got one like that tonight, but it makes no sense to be penalised for deliberate hand ball if you didn't hand the ball deliberately.

I mean, it would be different if the rule actually said that if you have your hands up then it will still count as deliberate hand ball even if it wasn't deliberate. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I thought there should have been one in the first half when Stevenson stuck his hands up.

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Nowt like contradicting yourself eh!

Handball is only a foul if it's deemed as DELIBERATE..

If he knew nothing about it clearly wasn't deliberate!

If the the pen we got given against the sheep a few weeks ago was given that today HAD to be given :agree:

new malkyhib
27-02-2010, 09:49 PM
That ref was absolutely choking to give that type of critical decision against Hibs today - what about our penalty - should the goalie not have walked for denying Nish a goalscoring opportunity?

FFS if that was Celtc we'd be demanding the world stops spinning until we've had an inquiry...

I just think we're all very fickle on here - try getting behind the team and not leaving with 5 minutes to go with the game finely balanced. It's called supporting your team through thick and thin.

rant over...

SidBurns
27-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Nowt like contradicting yourself eh!

Handball is only a foul if it's deemed as DELIBERATE..

If he knew nothing about it clearly wasn't deliberate!

If the the pen we got given against the sheep a few weeks ago was given that today HAD to be given :agree:

I thought it was a stonewaller and this deliberate v non-deliberate is a non-starter for me also. Why were his hands there? If someone kicks the ball towards goal meaning a certain goal if an open goal but it accidently hits a players hand on the way in then because it ain't deliberate they shouldn't get a penalty!?!?!?! Come on, common sense has to prevail for most if not all decisions. Our's today was a penalty as was theirs. The difference being, the ref bottled sending their keeper off!

Arch Stanton
27-02-2010, 09:58 PM
That ref was absolutely choking to give that type of critical decision against Hibs today - what about our penalty - should the goalie not have walked for denying Nish a goalscoring opportunity?

FFS if that was Celtc we'd be demanding the world stops spinning until we've had an inquiry...

I just think we're all very fickle on here - try getting behind the team and not leaving with 5 minutes to go with the game finely balanced. It's called supporting your team through thick and thin.

rant over...

I think the ref figured he could get away with that because Nish was headed sideways and not towards goal - but I agree with you, definite sending off as it was a goalscoring opportunity (well, maybe not for Nish, but you know what I mean :greengrin).

Arch Stanton
27-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I thought it was a stonewaller and this deliberate v non-deliberate is a non-starter for me also. Why were his hands there? If someone kicks the ball towards goal meaning a certain goal if an open goal but it accidently hits a players hand on the way in then because it ain't deliberate they shouldn't get a penalty!?!?!?! Come on, common sense has to prevail for most if not all decisions. Our's today was a penalty as was theirs. The difference being, the ref bottled sending their keeper off!

The refs are there to apply the letter of the law - not common sense.

Anyway why shoulld an open goal be anything to do with it - if it's a foul then it's a foul anywhere on the pitch.

A penalty is merely a foul within the penalty area and since there is no rule about where you should keep your hands then it is just tough luck if a goal attempt is thwarted because of inadvertent contact with an opponents hand.

overdrive
27-02-2010, 11:04 PM
What about the penalty we should have had after that? Blatant handball in the box!

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Pity that's the rules though :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
28-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Miller was an idiot yesterday (as was most of the team). :dizzy:

What professional player decides to do long arm stretches in the box? :confused:

Stonewaller. Anyone who tries to say otherwise has there green tints on.:agree:

KWJ
28-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I thought Miller kicked against his own arm :confused: I only saw it once live, take it I'm wrong.

What about the penalty we should have had after that? Blatant handball in the box!

Wouldn't say blatant but it hit his hand when he had more time to move than Miller.

KWJ
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Can't see the highlights and this is frustrating me. Could somebody clairfy if it was Miller who punted it against his own hand or not?

Off topic but I just noticed I quoted OverDrive, haven't seen you post on here for yonks!

Danny_Hibee
02-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Can't see the highlights and this is frustrating me. Could somebody clairfy if it was Miller who punted it against his own hand or not?

Off topic but I just noticed I quoted OverDrive, haven't seen you post on here for yonks!

Nah it wasnt Miller it was their guy who hit it off his arm.

As for the decision, 100% correct IMO. A handball doesn't have to be deliberate to be given as a foul.

KWJ
02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Okay fair enough. If his arms were up then it stopped the ball going into a dangerous area. I thought he'd blootered it against himself which would have been super harsh.

Still reckon we had a shout in Injury time.

And what an erse Miller was for having his hand up.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Nah it wasnt Miller it was their guy who hit it off his arm.

As for the decision, 100% correct IMO. A handball doesn't have to be deliberate to be given as a foul.

You'd better tell FIFA then bacause they don't see it that way.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

Hibbyradge
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Handling the ball
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
into consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is
an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts
as an infringement
Disciplinary

KWJ
02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Handling the ball
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
into consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
ball)
an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts
as an infringement
Disciplinary

an infringement

This is the one for me, it's ridiculous. Means every player in a wall can have his hands up.

Keith_M
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
an infringement

This is the one for me, it's ridiculous. Means every player in a wall can have his hands up.

I don't know, anytime I'm in a densive wall, there's a definitive movement of hand toward ball(s) and for a very good reason.

:wink:

Actually, that's just raised a question for me. Not having watched much Wummin's fitba' I'm not sure so... where do they put their hands when they're in a defensive wall?

:dunno:

Franck is God
02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I thought it was a harsh hand ball but it definitely hit Miller's arm so I can see why he gave it.

However the ref completely ignored a more blatant hand ball a couple of minutes later that would have been a penalty for us, I was right behind the ref and he had a completely unobstructed view of the incident, I'm afraid there is no excuse for that decision.

The ref was poor on Saturday and got a couple of big decisions very wrong in my opinion.

hfc rd
02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
It's debatable. They should have had an earlier one when Chris Hogg brought down Murray Davidson.

ahibby
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I watched the tv replay in slo mo from behind the south stand goal and I see the ball hitting Millers chest and not his arm (in slo mo). I saw it in real time from the North end of the West Stand and thought it definitely struck his arm and didn't complain about the refs decision at the time. The ref doesn't have the luxury of seeing it from different angles nor in slo mo. From behind or in line with Miller it looks a stonewaller, from in front of him looks like it came of his chest but only a few of us see it that way.

davehiby
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
i sit in the south and to me liam put his arms up and turned away to protect himself from the shot and it hit him in the armpit and definately did not look delibrate i,ve seen the replays on the bbc and from where the ref was i can see why he gave a pen as from that angle it looks like he's trying to stop the shot.as for hibs pen its there right in front of me and even now i can,t believe their keeper stayed on the park ,nishy is side stepping round him and its a tap into a gaping goal red card no other option.

Dr Jimmy
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I watched the tv replay in slo mo from behind the south stand goal and I see the ball hitting Millers chest and not his arm (in slo mo). I saw it in real time from the North end of the West Stand and thought it definitely struck his arm and didn't complain about the refs decision at the time. The ref doesn't have the luxury of seeing it from different angles nor in slo mo. From behind or in line with Miller it looks a stonewaller, from in front of him looks like it came of his chest but only a few of us see it that way.

:top marks...At the game I thought it was a stonewaller, but having seen it on TV it hits his chest.

mjhibby
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Its clear we have not been getting the rub of the green in the last few games(rangers pen,miller sending off that wasnt and now this.Whether we think there is more to it than bad refereeing or not surely if the breaks do even themselves out over a season we are due a few in the runin.The penalty against rangers still annoys me because bamba didnt touch him and the replay shows miller leaning into him and then going down.The miller sending off as was seen with it being rescinded was totally wrong but we still ended up playing for an hour with ten men when we shouldnt have and then the penalty against the saintees which surely by the letter of the law and common sense shouldnt have been given as miller had no time to react to it.
Had we got one of the last two decisions in our favour we would be third in the table and we wouldnt have the gnashing of teeth we have been having.just a tought.

JimBHibees
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Lets be honest we would have been screaming for it down the other end. It was more of a pen than the one we got v Dons recently.