PDA

View Full Version : Worst injury at ER

AugustaHibs
27-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Just seeing Ramsey's Injury got me thinking whats the worst injury you've seen at ER?

18/03/07
27-02-2010, 09:07 PM
When souness wiped out G.McCluskey

Ray_
27-02-2010, 09:09 PM
John Brownlie, Onion was never the same afterwards & Bobby Duncan, think it was Celtic's Yogi that caused that one, soon after his screamer against Naples.

Alfred E Newman
My heart has been broken a few times.

crewetollhibee
Dont know about the worst injury I've seen, but the worst i HEARD was John Brownlie's.

Bobo
27-02-2010, 09:12 PM
John Brownlie's leg break vrs East Fife, 1972/73 season .... finished any chance we had of winning the league. Didn't help that Alex Edwards got suspended as well.

Jonnyboy
27-02-2010, 09:13 PM
John Brownlie, Onion was never the same afterwards & Bobby Duncan, think it was Celtic's Yogi that caused that one, soon after his screamer against Naples.

Agree with both and would add Brebner's multiple broken bones in his arm in a match v Rangers

hibee_girl
27-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Agree with both and would add Brebner's multiple broken bones in his arm in a match v Rangers

I was just about in tears that day when he broke his arm :boo hoo:

Thankfully I haven't seen too many horrible injuries but I do remember KT getting a bad one against Partick Thistle I think.

Also not really an injury as such but Orman's fit during the cup game against Rangers was a horrible thing to witness

Jonnyboy
27-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Thankfully I haven't seen too many horrible injuries but I do remember KT getting a bad one against Partick Thistle I think.

Also not really an injury as such but Orman's fit during the cup game against Rangers was a horrible thing to witness

:agree: Poor guy

Marabou Stork
27-02-2010, 09:17 PM

This.

At the time, I was convinced he was a goner.

hibee_girl
27-02-2010, 09:19 PM
This.

At the time, I was convinced he was a goner.

:agree: I was too

I'm_cabbaged
27-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Ma uncle's ankle when Archdeacon (?) missed the pen in 86 (?)

Hibbyhoff
27-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Worst I have seen was from Neil Berry's tackle on Paul Wright. Absoulte shocker of a tackle and remember him going a few feet in the air.:grr:

CallumHibs07
27-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Still feeling a bit sick after seeing Ramsey's injury. Can't help thinking about it.

A horrible thing to happen, wouldn't ever wish it to anyone.:bitchy:

Jonnyboy
27-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Worst I have seen was from Neil Berry's tackle on Paul Wright. Absoulte shocker of a tackle and remember him going a few feet in the air.:grr:

Looking back a bit further there were two horrendous tackles made by Drew Busby on Arthur Duncaqn in the space of a few minutes - Busby was sent off

Hibs Class
27-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Probably not the worst injury, but Des Bremner being stretchered off with a broken collar-bone was the first time I saw a bad injury, and it stuck with me.

--------
27-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Saw them both.

I'd reckon Booby's the worse incident, not because the injury was so much worse, but because I was convinced (and I remain convinced) that Hughes did it deliberately. Bobby had Hughes in his pocket that day, and Hughes didn't like it, and when Bobby beat him and went past him Hughes went for the calf of the leg Bobby had all his weight on. We all heard the bones go, and Tom McNiven had the stretcher on right away.

The other thing I recall from that day is the sound of TGFITW chanting "Yogi, Yogi..." as Bobby was carried off the field.

Bobby and John were the two most talented full-backs I've seen in Hibs jerseys, and neither really recovered.

John's injury was a genuine accident, IMO - just one of those things.

thebakerboy
28-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Has to be John Brownlies , was in the old North Stand that day and it happened right in front of us and we heard the crack , never the same after it great shame as he had a MOM game against England at Wembley:grr:

Franck is God
28-02-2010, 12:17 AM
worst I ever saw was David Moyes breaking Mark McGraw's leg, happened right in front of me. Pretty much ruined his career, never came back the same player.

TRC
28-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Big Franks teeth at tynecastle not the worst but the best injury to a hibs player ever legend:thumbsup: other than that Boco swallowing his tounge

Groathillgrump
28-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Big Franks teeth at tynecastle not the worst but the best injury to a hibs player ever legend:thumbsup: other than that Boco swallowing his tounge

Eh? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Franck lost his teeth at Easter Road.

Lofarl
28-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Still feeling a bit sick after seeing Ramsey's injury. Can't help thinking about it.

A horrible thing to happen, wouldn't ever wish it to anyone.:bitchy:

Except for Kris Boyd of course

TRC
28-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Eh? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Franck lost his teeth at Easter Road.

yes sorry my mistake stand corrected, should haver thought about it as was sitting in the west and and wouldn't have seen it from that angle

Toaods
28-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Dont know about the worst injury I've seen, but the worst i HEARD was John Brownlie's.

:agree:.........I can still hear it.

erskine-hibby
28-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Don't know if it was the worst injury, in medical terms, but John Brownlie's was certainly the worst for the then teams chance of winning the league.

.Sean.
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Grant Brebner's arm break occurred right in front of me, I heard the crack actually. You could tell how bad it was from his immediate reaction.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Saw them both.

I'd reckon Booby's the worse incident, not because the injury was so much worse, but because I was convinced (and I remain convinced) that Hughes did it deliberately. Bobby had Hughes in his pocket that day, and Hughes didn't like it, and when Bobby beat him and went past him Hughes went for the calf of the leg Bobby had all his weight on. We all heard the bones go, and Tom McNiven had the stretcher on right away.

The other thing I recall from that day is the sound of TGFITW chanting "Yogi, Yogi..." as Bobby was carried off the field.

Bobby and John were the two most talented full-backs I've seen in Hibs jerseys, and neither really recovered.

John's injury was a genuine accident, IMO - just one of those things.

Exactly Doddie. You'll recall also that the man in black didn't even give a foul, let alone a caution or sending off.

--------
01-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Exactly Doddie. You'll recall also that the man in black didn't even give a foul, let alone a caution or sending off.

I think that subsequent history (right up to our last wee run of matches, I think we can say) demonstrates that in the right conditions, Scottish referees will allow anyone to do anything to Hibs players without penalty.

The 'right conditions' meaning looking like being in a position to mount a challenge to the SFA's darlings.

In the Brownlie game EF were kicking the stuffing out of Mickey as well. Nothing said or done, but as soon as Mickey reacted, out came the notebook.

Though I still say I DON'T think Onion's injury was in any way deliberately-inflicted. Nor, as I understand did John himself.

The Duncan assault was brutal, though, and Hughes should have been binned for life.

Franck Stanton
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Yup, without doubt the worst I have seen/heard. You could hear the bone break all round the ground.

davemcbain
01-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Has to be Souness <spit> on McCluskey. Deliberate, calculated and outrageous.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Has to be Souness <spit> on McCluskey. Deliberate, calculated and outrageous.

You have to wonder why Souness wasn't charged with assualt after that game. :confused:

davemcbain
01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
You have to wonder why Souness wasn't charged with assualt after that game. :confused:

:agree::agree::agree:

Also have to wonder why the ref booked McCluskey (along with pretty much everyone else on the pitch) - not like he was able to stand up and join the melee. Maddest match I ever saw.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
:agree::agree::agree:

Also have to wonder why the ref booked McCluskey (along with pretty much everyone else on the pitch) - not like he was able to stand up and join the melee. Maddest match I ever saw.

He also only booked Colin West after an obvious punch. I imagne he was blinded by the royal blue jersey. Sending off two Queens XV players is never a goer regardless of circumstances.

fiolex1
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Remember Stevie Fulton getting horrific facial injuries at ER and got booked for it, somebody told me that he looked like that before the game surely not.

3pm
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I was there when the stitching burst on AOB's gloves. Horrible stuff.

Gingertosser
01-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I remember a fan during a game in the East terracing, when Hibs scored he jumped up and came down chin first onto the barrier in front of him.
Face was splattered, god knows how many broken bones, but he looked liked the elephant man, blood everywhere. :jamboak:

Can't remember which game it was, but it wasn't very busy.
Probably around the time Goram scored.

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
It's got to be when Rod Petrie completely snapped his purse string and gave away 50p in Behind the Goals a couple of weeks ago. :greengrin

Bayern Bru
01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Probably Brebner's arm break. Can't really think of many others I don't think...

Risboro Hibby
01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
For me definately John Brownlie's as mentioned by loads of other people against East Fife on I think 3/01/73. We were on such a high after the 7 nil game and definately on course to win the title that year. John Brownlie was a truly exception Right Back who could not only time his tackles to perfection, he was apowerhouse going foward .

Sadly he was never the same player again and neither were the Turnbull Tornadoes in my opinon anyway

Aubenas
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Onion's the most catastrophic, but for oh my god I feel ill, Busby's assault on Arthur Duncan which happened just in front of us in he enclosure. Was like watching a car crash. Also Boozy's at Killie - largely because from where we sat we could see in to the medical room when they started to treat him.

Have to say though, remember Murdo tackling a guy just a yard away from us at New Kilbowie; wasn't a foul, wasn't even particularly fierce, but at that distance it just gave you a feel for how hard these guys play the game. Nearly dropped ma pie!:bitchy:

hibbeedavid
01-03-2010, 06:38 PM
i seem to remember chris reids leg break v dundee being quite a horrible one, think it was graham mitchell who ended up playing the rest of the match in goal

Hibbyradge
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Didn't Eric Shaedler break his leg at Easter Road too, or have I gone mad?

snooky
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Haven't read any of the above posts as I'd probably :sick:. No stomach for injury blood and guts.
To add my tuppence worth though, Onion's broken leg still sends shivers down my spine. In retrospect, maybe because it was the beginning of the end of one of the finest football teams I've ever seen.

fultonatemybaby
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
alen ormans fit

MacTheRat
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
1. It has to be John Brownlie against East Fife in '73. I'm sure the culprit was Markie.

2. Souness should still be ashamed of what he did in '86.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
i seem to remember chris reids leg break v dundee being quite a horrible one, think it was graham mitchell who ended up playing the rest of the match in goal

This.

I was only young at the time and it was the first really serious injury i'd seen. Remember it sounding and looking pretty horrible.

Also an honourable mention for the guy who ran on to the pitch from the FF stand and tried to attck Andy Goram. Goram saw him coming, wrestled him to the ground and got a few digs in before the police and stewards reacted. Bet that guy felt like a bit of a plum.

Irish_Steve
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I once got a paper cut reading the programme - it stung for nearly the whole game!

Holmesdale Hibs
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
worst I ever saw was David Moyes breaking Mark McGraw's leg, happened right in front of me. Pretty much ruined his career, never came back the same player.

That's the worse I can remember seeing. Never realised it was Davie Moyes though.

crewetollhibee
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
1. It has to be John Brownlie against East Fife in '73. I'm sure the culprit was Markie.

2. Souness should still be ashamed of what he did in '86.
My memory may be playing tricks, but I thought it was a guy named Ally Love who took out Brownlie ?

jdships
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
John Brownlie's leg break v East Fife, 1972/73 season was the worst I have ever witnessed - was only yards away when it happened.
Love should have been banned for life

:agree:

J-C
01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Defo Brownlie's, never the same player after that, seem to remember him being quoted by the press as the best RB in Europe at the time.

On a side note, Joe Theismann of the Redskins was a right horrible one

YouTube - Joe Theisman vs. LT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCXNt4P8Xg)

Removed
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM

It was horrible, happened right in front of me. Had never seen anything like that before.

Remember that Christmas on Off the Ball they were talking about who players would be going to their fancy dress parties as and Tam Cowan said that Alen Orman would be going as Shakin Stevens - felt really bad for laughing at that

JPrinty
01-03-2010, 11:54 PM
John Brownlie's leg break v East Fife, 1972/73 season was the worst I have ever witnessed - was only yards away when it happened.

Wrong, it wasn't Love and whoever it was shouldn't have been banned for life, wasn't even a foul :wink:

Jonnyboy
01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
My memory may be playing tricks, but I thought it was a guy named Ally Love who took out Brownlie ?

Wrong, it wasn't Love and whoever it was shouldn't have been banned for life, wasn't even a foul :wink:

Memory wonky time guys :greengrin

JB's leg break came in a challenge not with Johnny Love but with Ian Printy and as erm JPrinty says it was a very unfortunate accident and certainly not meant.

As for Johnny Love it was he who hacked and fouled Mickey Edwards who got no protection from the ref as alluded to by Doddie earlier in this thread. Mickey eventually lost the rag, was sent off and banned for 8 weeks. The combination of JB's leg break and Mickey's suspension effectively ended what was a very realistic title challenge

crewetollhibee
02-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Ta Jonnyboy; my memory WAS playing tricks !!

--------
02-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Memory wonky time guys :greengrin

JB's leg break came in a challenge not with Johnny Love but with Ian Printy and as erm JPrinty says it was a very unfortunate accident and certainly not meant.

As for Johnny Love it was he who hacked and fouled Mickey Edwards who got no protection from the ref as alluded to by Doddie earlier in this thread. Mickey eventually lost the rag, was sent off and banned for 8 weeks. The combination of JB's leg break and Mickey's suspension effectively ended what was a very realistic title challenge

Correct. And Ian was very upset about it - he was and remains a Hibee, I think, J?

Love was a total pain that afternoon - kicking and hacking and bullying Mickey while the referee turned a complete blind eye to it all. But as soon as Mickey retaliated (I think he threw the ball at Love) he was off.

Onion's injury was just one of those things. Ironically, I think Love WAS trying to injure Mickey - which was what was part of what was riling the wee guy. Understandably.

Love and the referee deserved a plague of incurable ulcerated haemorrhoids for what they did that day.

But not IP.

rennie_hfc
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I know it isnt the worst injury but i seem to remember being at a game when i was quite young and Nick Colgan dislocated his fingers. The physio cracked them back into place on the pitch and you could pretty much hear it. Rank

JPrinty
04-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Correct. And Ian was very upset about it - he was and remains a Hibee, I think, J?

Love was a total pain that afternoon - kicking and hacking and bullying Mickey while the referee turned a complete blind eye to it all. But as soon as Mickey retaliated (I think he threw the ball at Love) he was off.

Onion's injury was just one of those things. Ironically, I think Love WAS trying to injure Mickey - which was what was part of what was riling the wee guy. Understandably.

Love and the referee deserved a plague of incurable ulcerated haemorrhoids for what they did that day.

But not IP.

Correct, was and still is a Hibee:agree: