PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't at the game today - Was Deek really this bad ?

The Voice Of Reason
27-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I couldn't make the game today and also couldn't listen to it on the radio. :grr: I therefore cannot comment on any player's performance and I don't know how the game panned out.

I always read through the "Player Ratings" thread and from today's thread I couldn't help notice how poor Derek Riordan seems to have been, Here are all the comments/ratings thus far :-

Riordan - 5 - Did nothing good of note. Should've done better when he was through on goal

Riordan - was he playing, can't say I noticed.

Riordan - 3 - what exactly is the point of Derek Riordan? Can't beat a man, no-one passes to him, can't tackle. A total luxury player

Riordan - 4 Should have played ball to Stokes in 1st half (backpost); should have scored in the 2nd after rounding keeper.

Riordan 4 should have scored and how he was not replaced i'll never know

Riordan - 5 - Toiling, struggled to understand the game at times

Deek 4 - was never in the game, should have scored to make it 2-0

Riordan 5 chased back a lot more but should've scored when had his chances

Riordan - 5

Riordan - 6 Should have killed off the game with chance when he rounded keeper

Riordan was anonymous but should have put the game to bed with his second half chance

Some pretty scathing comments and only one pass mark (a 6 out of 10).

Was he really this bad ? (I suspect he was, given the comments).

A poor show from our "star player". Sorry, but I can't help thinking that he needs to be dropped again.

:tin hat:

madabouthibs
27-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I thought he was one of our better forward players.
Spends a lot of time shouting for the ball, but not a lot of time collecting it from a half decent pass. Seems to be a deal struck between the strikers that they don't ever pass to each other..... :grr:

Jonnyboy
27-02-2010, 08:51 PM
His confidence is low TVOR and when a striker fails to hit the net for a while that's a natural reaction I'd say. Some of the comments re his performance today are IMO a bit OTT. I thought he played quite well, tracked back on a few occasions and if he got anything wrong it was that he was too greedy on a couple of occasions.

The_Todd
27-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Not the worst on the pitch by a country mile, but that's not saying much.

Westie1875
27-02-2010, 08:55 PM
His confidence is low TVOR and when a striker fails to hit the net for a while that's a natural reaction I'd say. Some of the comments re his performance today are IMO a bit OTT. I thought he played quite well, tracked back on a few occasions and if he got anything wrong it was that he was too greedy on a couple of occasions.

:agree: He seems to be becoming a scapegoat, there were far worse on display today than Riordan.

HFC 0-7
27-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Spends a lot of time shouting for the ball, but not a lot of time collecting it from a half decent pass. Seems to be a deal struck between the strikers that they don't ever pass to each other..... :grr:

All season he has been out on that touchline looking for the ball, and it takes hibs so long to notice and switch play, and even when we decide to switch play we try and pass it through every player across the park to get to him. Occasionally we tried the long switch ball today, and it never quite came off but you could see if the passes were weighted correctly it would have caused them bother.

The Voice Of Reason
27-02-2010, 08:57 PM

I have noticed this myself. Whilst it is good in some ways that strikers are greedy, strikers do need to link up and pass the effing ball !

It seems that Nishy had a bit of a stinker today too.......but at least the big man is a team player. :agree:

The Voice Of Reason
27-02-2010, 09:03 PM
:agree: He seems to be becoming a scapegoat, there were far worse on display today than Riordan.

Jonnyboy - cheers for the reply.

Westie - My intention wasn't to make Deek the scapegoat and hopefully it hasn't come across that way. I don't want to make any player a scapegoat and certainly not one like Deek, who I do regard highly. It is because I regard him so highly that I couldn't help notice how damning the comments were about him today. I have personally been worried by his performances for a while now.

We need a fit, buzzing Deek in our team........it isn't happening at the moment though. :boo hoo:

thebakerboy
27-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Think playing Deek wide left is not a very good idea but today Yogi seemed to be playing a very narrow formation and deek was pulled in to a narrow midfield which does not suit him either. The best will come from Deeks and Stokes when Deeks is released to play up top along side Stokes IMHO and we return to a 442 formation.In the mean time I feel that a better bet on the left would be a fit Galbraith or a fit Gow.:idea:

Simkin911
27-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I didn't think he was that bad really but, in my opinion, it's not the Riordan of several seasons ago.

He seems to have lost a yard or two of pace and simply doesn't seem as sharp as he was. Very rarely you'll see him beating a man and pulling away from him. It simply doesn't happen so much now.

Not sure if it's age related (crikey, early demise..), poor fitness, confidence, tactical or a mixture of all....

Of course, part of the problem is that fans expect D.R. vintage stuff everytime he gets the ball and moan when he doesn't produce goods to his previous standard. So, it's his own fault really... :greengrin

Riordans Boots
27-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Totally agree :agree: :agree: If Deeks isnay firin' in goals every week (Still being played out of position a hasten to add) some folk on here slate him big time. Just no pleasing some folk :rolleyes:

Darth Hibbie
27-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Must admit I thought he showed a lot more commitment today and was tracking back and helping out the defence. His best game for a few weeks. Yes he missed a chance but the defender done well to get back imho of course.

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 09:26 PM
DR was NOWHERE near the worst Hibs player on that pitch today!

Nish, Stevenson and Hogg are well up there before Deek!

He was better than he's been for weeks and was unlucky a fair few times and still looked our best option to score whilst wasted out on the left!

Drop Nish, go to a 4-4-2 with him and Stokes up top and I think he'll start banging the goals in again!

truehibernian
27-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Riordan had the chance three times to bury chances and he was slow, ponderous, and dire. However, in all my 40 years watching Hibernian, I have yet to see a more inept performance as was displayed by Colin Nish today (Graeme Miller being a close second). What an utterly embarrassing showing from the second minute onwards. He won the penalty and that was it. Just a laughable, comical, at times cringeworthy performance from Nish................so Derek was by no means the worst today.............that goes to Nish and John Hughes. Clearly Yogi doesn't see the need to use subs unless forced upon him eh........that was worse than Hamilton today. No leadership, no fight, second to every single ball, playing too deep, no passion, and no one (management included) taking the game by the scruff of the neck and driving forward. Thank christ we have built up as many points as we have or we would be in Aberdeen's boat or worse. Get your finger out Yogi and get these unfit, lifeless a***holes realising what it is to play for Hibs. And change your captain..............he is a waste of f'ing space and offers no drive or passion. A typical toothless Hibs performance today with no nastyness. We are soft as sheeeite !!! Hearts will pump us silly as our defence, tinkered with since Rangers, is just kamikaze and has as much organisation as a chimps tea party.

IberianHibernian
27-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Thought Riordan was one of our better players today without having a great game . Surprised there haven`t been comments about Murray - seemed to be caught out of position constantly and the few times he touched the ball it was to pass to an opponent . Played as if he had other things on his mind . Overall a poor performance and result but not really any worse than a lot of games earlier in season when we seemed to win without playing well .

JimBHibees
27-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Thought Riordan was one of our better players today without having a great game . Surprised there haven`t been comments about Murray - seemed to be caught out of position constantly and the few times he touched the ball it was to pass to an opponent . Played as if he had other things on his mind . Overall a poor performance and result but not really any worse than a lot of games earlier in season when we seemed to win without playing well .

Thought that was the worse I have seen Ian Murray play. Maybe we should have kept him waiting on a new contract as he was playing well until that. :greengrin Other thing may be that he is carrying an injury of sorts. Looked off the pace.

Dirkster23
27-02-2010, 10:17 PM
DR was NOWHERE near the worst Hibs player on that pitch today!

Nish, Stevenson and Hogg are well up there before Deek!

He was better than he's been for weeks and was unlucky a fair few times and still looked our best option to score whilst wasted out on the left!

Drop Nish, go to a 4-4-2 with him and Stokes up top and I think he'll start banging the goals in again!

Aye, all Nish done today was win us a penalty and slip two balls through to Deeks in the second half that put him one on one with the keeper- he missed both :bye:

If you'd watched the game today you would have seen that Deek was playing more of a central role and hardly out on the left.

Big Nish was his usual today, some good moments and times where he looked liked he'd never payed the game before. TBH i would have had him off at 75mins, he was knackered and things weren't going for him, but i would have had Deek and Stevenson off before that.

truehibernian
27-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Good point about Nid. I think he picked up a slight injury mate because from about 70 minutes onwards he was far slower reacting to things and quite poor positionally. Certainly caught out of position time and time again in the last 5 mins when they had equalised and were actually looking like winning it. Until we get a 4-4-2 with good midfield balance though, our defence will be made to look bad regardless of who plays (or plays well). I honestly think Hughes now picks the team by tarot cards because why replace Rankin, who despite critics, has been a decent performer during this downturn, and put in Stevenson, into an unfamiliar role, is beyond me. He now plays Nish as a player off the strikers :bitchy: Wotherspoon still at RB :bitchy: Stevenson in a centre midfield role :bitchy: and Riordan left midfield :bitchy: Coupled with trying Hanlon in two positions, Hogg at right back, McCormack out of position too, and three keeper changes this season, it's getting tiresome when he tinkers needlessly. Riordan is a striker, DW is a right midfielder, stick to one keeper unless there is a form dip, drop Nish, buy a bloody right back, and change the captaincy. And learn to use substitutes at key times in the game and not be as blinkered as Mixu was and cut your nose off to spite your face. I am raging about todays performance as that is as bad as I have seen. Saints yet again played us off that park, played possession football, and more importantly, challenged for every ball like their life depended on it. Gutless and totally clueless. Nish's little fresh air attempt at trying to feed Riordan through (second half) actually had me laughing out loud.

An Leargaidh
27-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Nish's little fresh air attempt at trying to feed Riordan through (second half) actually had me laughing out loud.

The guy on Radio Scotland laughed too and I stalled my car in the middle of a car park :no way:

truehibernian
27-02-2010, 10:29 PM
And Neil F - are you related to Nish, because if you think that winning the pen and "feeding two balls into Riordan" exempts him from any blame, then you must have missed the fresh air swipe, the chance first half to hit it first time when keeper was off his line (but he needed three attempts to control the ball), the attempt first half where he somehow conspired to hit the softest shot in history into the keeper from 6 yards out, the countless times he fouled, the countless times he didn't put in a challenge........oh and the fact that he is utterly lilian gish. He was shocking from about 20 minutes in, not 75 minutes in. Riordan was poor admittedly, but Nish has had his time at Hibs. He is terrible.

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 11:06 PM
And Neil F - are you related to Nish, because if you think that winning the pen and "feeding two balls into Riordan" exempts him from any blame, then you must have missed the fresh air swipe, the chance first half to hit it first time when keeper was off his line (but he needed three attempts to control the ball), the attempt first half where he somehow conspired to hit the softest shot in history into the keeper from 6 yards out, the countless times he fouled, the countless times he didn't put in a challenge........oh and the fact that he is utterly lilian gish. He was shocking from about 20 minutes in, not 75 minutes in. Riordan was poor admittedly, but Nish has had his time at Hibs. He is terrible.

:agree:

The fresh air swipe was the final straw in a overall EMBARRASSING display from Nish..

That'll no even happen on the amatuer parks the morn :bitchy:

tooley
27-02-2010, 11:09 PM

:thumbsup:
Am I missing something? The boys getting played that far out he'd be as well sitting beside me in the west upper.
How anyone can slate Deek when that number 9 has a shirt on I will never work out???

silverhibee
27-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Thought that was the worse I have seen Ian Murray play. Maybe we should have kept him waiting on a new contract as he was playing well until that. :greengrin Other thing may be that he is carrying an injury of sorts. Looked off the pace.

:agree: Carrying a knock i have heard.

monktonharp
27-02-2010, 11:20 PM
canny believe any complaints about Derek Riordan today. I have not read much,about moaners etc but I seriously thought that he did pretty well today. he had very little option to "round" their 'keeper,and slot the ball in,netbound btw but the defender stuck his leg out to clear it at the last second.if the other couple of chances we had in the second half,had fallen to him,i've no doubt they would have been tucked away.

IWasThere2016
27-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Am I missing something? The boys getting played that far out he'd be as well sitting beside me in the west upper.
How anyone can slate Deek when that number 9 has a shirt on I will never work out???

monktonharp
27-02-2010, 11:21 PM
:agree::agree:

Dirkster23
27-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Where did i say he was exempt from any blame?? I don't think he had the best of games by any means, but he did win the penalty and put Deek clean through on the goalie twice. Did anyone else contribute as much offensively during the game?

Did you see the work he put in defensively at every set piece?

I did see the fresh air swipe when the ball bobbled up on him. I did see the chance he had in the first half when he tried to chip the keeper and totally scuffed it and i did see the one in the second half when he lost control in the box when he should have scored.

One other thing i saw today was a player who didn't hide and looked to get on the ball every time he could, just a pity i couldn't say the same about Deek!

One last thing i'll say- i want deeks to be a success at Hibs, he's a Hibs fan and has been great for us. I'll give my views on his performances on here, but at the games i'm 100% behind him. I don't think most of the Nish haters can say the same.

hibee_girl
27-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Where did i say he was exempt from any blame?? I don't think he had the best of games by any means, but he did win the penalty and put Deek clean through on the goalie twice. Did anyone else contribute as much offensively during the game?

I did see the fresh air swipe when the ball bobbled up on him. I did see the chance he had in the first half when he tried to chip the keeper and totally scuffed it and i did see the one in the second half when he lost control in the box when he should have scored.

One other thing i saw today was a player who didn't hide and looked to get on the ball every time he could, just a pity i couldn't say the same about Deek!

One last thing i'll say- i want deeks to be a success at Hibs, he's a Hibs fan and has been great for us. I'll give my views on his performances on here, but at the games i'm 100% behind him. I don't think most of the Nish haters can say the same.

:top marks

Hainan Hibs
27-02-2010, 11:26 PM

Can't argue with that:agree:

heretoday
27-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Hibs rule.

in-me-pocket
27-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Time for both Deeks and Nish to go. Neither are good enough. Seemples

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 11:30 PM

I can't believe the stick Derek gets from Hibs fans on here..

If he was a Clum Elliot, David Obua, Pïshy Pittenweem, Wage Thief Kingston or god forbid a Christian Nadè THEN we'd have cause for complain..

But..

We've got a guy that's on course to be the highest scoring Hibs player of recent generations and 1 of all time, who LOVES the club and is STILL our 2nd top goal scorer even though playing in Midfield..

I'm MORE than happy with that :agree:

How about we appreciate what we've got in Deek, enjoy what he does and give him our support!?

Derek Riordan - Hibs Legend :notworthy:

IWasThere2016
27-02-2010, 11:30 PM

Aye - sooner we sell/free Deeks and get another Nish in the better :greengrin

Saorsa
27-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Aye, all Nish done today was win us a penalty and slip two balls through to Deeks in the second half that put him one on one with the keeper- he missed both :bye:

If you'd watched the game today you would have seen that Deek was playing more of a central role and hardly out on the left.

Big Nish was his usual today, some good moments and times where he looked liked he'd never payed the game before. TBH i would have had him off at 75mins, he was knackered and things weren't going for him, but i would have had Deek and Stevenson off before that.Aye pish, nearly got himself sent off again, if his ability as a fitba player matched his gob he'd be great What were his good moments other than the 1st few minutes? How many moves broke down with Nish falling over the ball and his own feet. Lets get rid of Deek and bring in a few mair of Nish's calibre :bitchy:

Riordans Boots
27-02-2010, 11:34 PM

I can't believe the stick Derek gets from Hibs fans on here..

If he was a Clum Elliot, David Obua, Pïshy Pittenweem, Wage Thief Kingston or god forbid a Christian Nadè THEN we'd have cause for complain..

But..

We've got a guy that's on course to be the highest scoring Hibs player of recent generations and 1 of all time, who LOVES the club and is STILL our 2nd top goal scorer even though playing in Midfield..

I'm MORE than happy with that :agree:

How about we appreciate what we've got in Deek, enjoy what he does and give him our support!?

Derek Riordan - Hibs Legend :notworthy:

:not worth

Dirkster23
27-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Aye - sooner we sell/free Deeks and get another Nish in the better :greengrin

Out of curiosity, were you at the game today? Deek played in a more central role than usual.

Look, i'm in no way trying to say Nish is a better player than Deek but we're just not getting out of Deeks what we should be at the moment. Whether that's down to lack of effort, how Yogi's asking him to play or a combination of the two i'm not sure.

ronaldo7
27-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Big Nish was his usual today, some good moments and times where he looked liked he'd never payed the game before. TBH i would have had him off at 75mins, he was knackered and things weren't going for him, but i would have had Deek and Stevenson off before that.

:agree::top marks

Dirkster23
27-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Aye pish, nearly got himself sent off again, if his ability as a fitba player matched his gob he'd be great What were his good moments other than the 1st few minutes? How many moves broke down with Nish falling over the ball and his own feet. Lets get rid of Deek and bring in a few mair of Nish's calibre :bitchy:

The two balls he put Deeks straight through on the keeper with in the second half. The flick on's he won? The defensive work he put in?

Tell me where i said we should get rid of Deek?? Out of interest,what were Deeks good moments today??

Like i've said, i'm a Hibs fan so want all our players to do well. I thought that's what being a fan was about, no??

silverhibee
27-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Time for both Deeks and Nish to go. Neither are good enough. Seemples

I take it this is a swoosh.
If not, then drugs are not good for you.

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2010, 11:56 PM
I take it this is a swoosh.
If not, then drugs are not good for you.

Troll, yam or crackheid..

Could easily be all 3 actually.

Crab apple
27-02-2010, 11:56 PM

To an extent I have to agree with you there. Two excellent through balls and also helped out defensively at set pieces against some big Saints forwards. We missed this up in Perth. However at other times his touch was truly awful and he is weak at holding the ball up. I haven't seen the pitch in such a mess for a long while (ever?) so with crisp passing difficult we have problems if we are relying on nishy as the out ball.

Thought Yogi should have made changes midway through the second half possibly bringing Gow on for Deeks and Benji on for Nish.

Franck is God
27-02-2010, 11:58 PM
every opportunity we had to score today came good work from Colin Nish including the penalty that we did get our goal from. I am a fan of Colin and he makes us a better team.

Deek was through on goal 3 times in the second half and according to some on this board is the best finisher at the club, exactly what they're basing this on I'm not sure. And before someone comes on and spouts some pish about him being played out of position just exactly where was he when he picked up the ball....he certainly wasn't hugging the touchline!

To answer the OP's question, yes he was that bad. Waste of a shirt and it is down to him that we didn't win today.

Crab apple
28-02-2010, 12:04 AM
every opportunity we had to score today came good work from Colin Nish including the penalty that we did get our goal from. I am a fan of Colin and he makes us a better team.

Deek was through on goal 3 times in the second half and according to some on this board is the best finisher at the club, exactly what they're basing this on I'm not sure. And before someone comes on and spouts some pish about him being played out of position just exactly where was he when he picked up the ball....he certainly wasn't hugging the touchline!

To answer the OP's question, yes he was that bad. Waste of a shirt and it is down to him that we didn't win today.

Deeks again looked out of sorts today. Don't know if it was fitness or confidence. It may be both. Great talent but not sure if we can always afford to 'carry' players for 90 minutes in games like today.

silverhibee
28-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Troll, yam or crackheid..

Could easily be all 3 actually.

:agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2010, 02:13 PM
On current form, i don't think he warrants a place in the team. As for all this tracking back rubbish, yes he does do more, but half the time he's reacting far too late, and just chasing back, behind the player he's supposed to be marking. Our midfield are playing 1 man short ever week. I don't think he should be playing where he is, and if he's not played further up, then imho he should be on the bench.

J-C
28-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Did a lot of running ysterday and even won a 50/50 challenge right infront of me in the east, he looks a bit flat at times but this might be down to confidence. He also got himself into decent positions and just needed to finish better, wasn't too bad, seen him better and seen him worse.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Did a lot of running ysterday and even won a 50/50 challenge right infront of me in the east, he looks a bit flat at times but this might be down to confidence. He also got himself into decent positions and just needed to finish better, wasn't too bad, seen him better and seen him worse.

Hallo mate, nice to meet you yesterday.:thumbsup:

Franck is God
28-02-2010, 02:23 PM
If he was that bad why didn't he get hooked? a share of the blame for not winning going to JH.
The ref shoulders some blame too.
And the pitch.
And the fact St J played some decent football.

Just think it's a bit much to blame deeks alone for the failure to win.

I've no idea why he wasn't hooked but then i also have no idea why he starts games either.

The Ref gets the blame for allowing St J to be over physical, not reducing them to ten men and gifting them a penalty.

The pitch was shocking and clearly suited them better than us.

But I'm sorry Deek had three clear cut opportunities to score in the second half and should have provided as assist in the first when he 'passed' the ball into Smiths arms. He is the top scoring and most experienced forward at our club right now and he deserves a lot of criticism for his performance yesterday and in my opinion his misses are the reason we didn't win.

J-C
28-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Hallo mate, nice to meet you yesterday.:thumbsup:

You too Gary, you were 3 rows behind and about 5 seats to the left of me and my son.

skipster7
28-02-2010, 02:46 PM

probably basing it on the fact he'll score 100 goals for us unless we drive him out first ,anybody who thinks deek isnt a good finisher must have been on the moon for the past 5 years.an off day in front of goal doesn't make him a bad player.
fwiw i also am a fan of nish and gives us a differenty option but some of his play today was embarrasing.
most of the blame must go to the defence who at times were a embarrasing panic stricken shambles and resulted in us giving up our winning position.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2010, 02:54 PM
probably basing it on the fact he'll score 100 goals for us unless we drive him out first ,anybody who thinks deek isnt a good finisher must have been on the moon for the past 5 years.an off day in front of goal doesn't make him a bad player.
fwiw i also am a fan of nish and gives us a differenty option but some of his play today was embarrasing.
most of the blame must go to the defence who at times were a embarrasing panic stricken shambles and resulted in us giving up our winning position.

It must be very hard being a defender at Hibs. On the left side we have nobody protecting Murray, and on the right we have nobody helping Wotherspoon. If we kept the ball further up the park, and gave the defence time to get further up the park, perhaps we'd be picking up more points than we have recently.

Wull
28-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Riordan had the chance three times to bury chances and he was slow, ponderous, and dire. However, in all my 40 years watching Hibernian, I have yet to see a more inept performance as was displayed by Colin Nish today (Graeme Miller being a close second). What an utterly embarrassing showing from the second minute onwards. He won the penalty and that was it. Just a laughable, comical, at times cringeworthy performance from Nish................so Derek was by no means the worst today.............that goes to Nish and John Hughes. Clearly Yogi doesn't see the need to use subs unless forced upon him eh........that was worse than Hamilton today. No leadership, no fight, second to every single ball, playing too deep, no passion, and no one (management included) taking the game by the scruff of the neck and driving forward. Thank christ we have built up as many points as we have or we would be in Aberdeen's boat or worse. Get your finger out Yogi and get these unfit, lifeless a***holes realising what it is to play for Hibs. And change your captain..............he is a waste of f'ing space and offers no drive or passion. A typical toothless Hibs performance today with no nastyness. We are soft as sheeeite !!! Hearts will pump us silly as our defence, tinkered with since Rangers, is just kamikaze and has as much organisation as a chimps tea party.

Me an you the gither mate, I been saying so for a while, aw this guff aboot work in progress, Mr. Hughs its in you court.

500miles
28-02-2010, 03:05 PM
When Nish got things wrong yesterday, he get them comically wrong. To be fair, a couple of times, you could see that the pitch held the ball up when he wa going to start running, which is unfortunate.

However, he also got a few things dead right, firstly for the penalty, and then made a couple of chances that Riordan wasted. Won a couple of good tackles, had a hard battle against a big phyical side, but still won a couple of headers. We are much more creative with him in the side.