PDA

View Full Version : Remember them with pride

Jonnyboy
26-02-2010, 02:38 PM
The front page of the site seems to be unavailable at the moment and as I'd written something for it I hope the Admins wont mind me just posting it here. It's a big 'un so apologies for that but hopefully once you're read it you'll see why.

Take a snapshot of the Hibs support at any given point in time and you’ll find they range in age from the very young to the very old. By that measure, each will have their own favourite players, favourite games, favourite goals etc and I am no different. Going into my sixth decade of watching the team I love I can confidently say I have favourites for all of the above but I also have a treasure trove of memories of players who might not have been my favourites but who impressed me greatly nonetheless. Two such players were Alan Gordon and Bobby Smith.

When news reached me that at 65 years old big Alan Gordon had lost his fight with cancer I can honestly say it brought tears to my eyes, for here was a man who entertained thousands of Hibs fans and who proudly considered himself to be part of the Hibernian family even though he had played for other clubs. Like many before and since, once Alan was welcomed into the bosom of the Hibernian family he felt no desire ever to leave it. Certainly he played on after leaving Hibs but once the boots were hung up it was to Easter Road that Alan mostly made his way to watch football on a Saturday.

A graceful and powerful striker, Alan started his professional career at Tynecastle and was in the first team aged just 17 and scoring goals like he’d been in the side for years. In 1967 he took himself off to South Africa where he turned out for Durban United but he soon returned to Scotland and Tynecastle where he had another full season before being transferred to Dundee United. After having played a successful few seasons there he was enticed to Hibs in 1972 when Eddie Turnbull thought it a good idea to team him up with Jimmy O’Rourke in the Easter Road forward line. Costing just £12,000 he turned out to be an absolute bargain and soon had the Hibs support singing his name as the ball found the net with amazing regularity. Of course Alan was part of the Turnbull’s Tornadoes team that crushed Hearts 7-0 on 1st January 1973, a game I am delighted to say I watched from behind the goals at the Roseburn end. Big Alan scored twice that day but wonderful as it is to recall that game it would do him an injustice to focus on that 7-0 result alone because he scored many more fine and important goals for Hibs in his deadly partnership with O’Rourke. A League Cup and two Drybrough Cups were won with Gordon in the number nine jersey and it is a known fact that opposing centre half’s were never keen on facing him.

When his stint with Hibs came to an end, Alan joined Dundee and became one of the few players ever to have played for both clubs in Edinburgh and Dundee. Interestingly, Dundee had to fork out £13,000 for him, £1,000 more than Hibs had paid to secure his services. After retiring in 1976 Alan concentrated on his career as an accountant but could often be seen in the stand at Easter Road on a Saturday. I once had the privilege of chatting to him about his days at Hibs and it was clear that he recalled them with massive affection, telling me those were the best days of his career.

Death is inevitable. It is the one thing in life you can be sure will happen at some time. Younger readers may feel at 65 Alan had enjoyed a ‘good kick o’ the baw’ but when you reach my vintage, 65 is still young and far too early to leave this world. Alan, you were a joy to watch and a much loved member of the Hibernian family – may you rest in peace.

Hard on the heels of Alan Gordon’s passing came the tragic news that at just 56 years of age Bobby Smith had also lost his life to cancer, that most cruel of diseases. Once again my reaction was one of great sadness as Bobby was a great guy and a good Hibby. A Dalkeith boy Bobby joined Hibs in 1971 from Musselburgh Windsor where he had made his name as an all action midfield player. Of course when he arrived the Tornadoes were in full flow and so the youngster had to be patient and wait for his chance in the first team. He was not alone in that regard and it proves his resolve that unlike a few others he did not get impatient and seek to further his career elsewhere. Signed by Willie MacFarlane, Bobby might well have joined Celtic who were very keen on him but whenever Hibs came knocking at his door there was no question as to which club he would sign for.

Making his debut off the subs bench in a game against Arbroath, Bobby played as a striker but in his 152 appearances in green and white he would play in a variety of positions including both full back roles, wide left and centre midfield and as a striker, proving his versatility and his worth to the club. Whilst left full back was his most commonly played position it did not stop him scoring around 20 goals for the club.

In 1978 Bobby left to join Leicester City and clocked up around 200 appearances and scored 21 goals for the Foxes before having loan spells at Peterborough and then Hibs. Upon his return to Filbert Street he settled so well in a side that included Gary Lineker that he was soon made team captain. When John Blackley landed the manager’s job at Easter Road he persuaded Bobby to return on a permanent basis and the curly headed dynamo played a variety of positions to good effect until Alex Miller was appointed and Bobby was transferred to Dunfermline. After spells with Partick Thistle and Berwick Rangers he hung up his boots in 1991 and set about watching Hibs both home and away as often as he could.

Bobby, your name may not trip off the tongue quite so readily as your namesake Gordon but be sure that your worth to the team was of great measure and that you will remain in the thoughts of the Hibernian family.

On Saturday when Hibs play St. Johnstone there will be a tribute to these two great guys prior to kick off. If you saw either or both play then I’m sure you’ll have your own memories in mind during that tribute but if you’re too young to have seen either, be sure that these guys were as much heroes to me as are Riordan and Stokes in the team of today.

Alan Gordon and Bobby Smith you will both be remembered with pride - RIP

Golden Bear
26-02-2010, 02:42 PM
The front page of the site seems to be unavailable at the moment and as I'd written something for it I hope the Admins wont mind me just posting it here. It's a big 'un so apologies for that but hopefully once you're read it you'll see why.

Take a snapshot of the Hibs support at any given point in time and you’ll find they range in age from the very young to the very old. By that measure, each will have their own favourite players, favourite games, favourite goals etc and I am no different. Going into my sixth decade of watching the team I love I can confidently say I have favourites for all of the above but I also have a treasure trove of memories of players who might not have been my favourites but who impressed me greatly nonetheless. Two such players were Alan Gordon and Bobby Smith.

When news reached me that at 65 years old big Alan Gordon had lost his fight with cancer I can honestly say it brought tears to my eyes, for here was a man who entertained thousands of Hibs fans and who proudly considered himself to be part of the Hibernian family even though he had played for other clubs. Like many before and since, once Alan was welcomed into the bosom of the Hibernian family he felt no desire ever to leave it. Certainly he played on after leaving Hibs but once the boots were hung up it was to Easter Road that Alan mostly made his way to watch football on a Saturday.

A graceful and powerful striker, Alan started his professional career at Tynecastle and was in the first team aged just 17 and scoring goals like he’d been in the side for years. In 1967 he took himself off to South Africa where he turned out for Durban United but he soon returned to Scotland and Tynecastle where he had another full season before being transferred to Dundee United. After having played a successful few seasons there he was enticed to Hibs in 1972 when Eddie Turnbull thought it a good idea to team him up with Jimmy O’Rourke in the Easter Road forward line. Costing just £12,000 he turned out to be an absolute bargain and soon had the Hibs support singing his name as the ball found the net with amazing regularity. Of course Alan was part of the Turnbull’s Tornadoes team that crushed Hearts 7-0 on 1st January 1973, a game I am delighted to say I watched from behind the goals at the Roseburn end. Big Alan scored twice that day but wonderful as it is to recall that game it would do him an injustice to focus on that 7-0 result alone because he scored many more fine and important goals for Hibs in his deadly partnership with O’Rourke. A League Cup and two Drybrough Cups were won with Gordon in the number nine jersey and it is a known fact that opposing centre half’s were never keen on facing him.

When his stint with Hibs came to an end, Alan joined Dundee and became one of the few players ever to have played for both clubs in Edinburgh and Dundee. Interestingly, Dundee had to fork out £13,000 for him, £1,000 more than Hibs had paid to secure his services. After retiring in 1976 Alan concentrated on his career as an accountant but could often be seen in the stand at Easter Road on a Saturday. I once had the privilege of chatting to him about his days at Hibs and it was clear that he recalled them with massive affection, telling me those were the best days of his career.

Death is inevitable. It is the one thing in life you can be sure will happen at some time. Younger readers may feel at 65 Alan had enjoyed a ‘good kick o’ the baw’ but when you reach my vintage, 65 is still young and far too early to leave this world. Alan, you were a joy to watch and a much loved member of the Hibernian family – may you rest in peace.

Hard on the heels of Alan Gordon’s passing came the tragic news that at just 56 years of age Bobby Smith had also lost his life to cancer, that most cruel of diseases. Once again my reaction was one of great sadness as Bobby was a great guy and a good Hibby. A Dalkeith boy Bobby joined Hibs in 1971 from Musselburgh Windsor where he had made his name as an all action midfield player. Of course when he arrived the Tornadoes were in full flow and so the youngster had to be patient and wait for his chance in the first team. He was not alone in that regard and it proves his resolve that unlike a few others he did not get impatient and seek to further his career elsewhere. Signed by Willie MacFarlane, Bobby might well have joined Celtic who were very keen on him but whenever Hibs came knocking at his door there was no question as to which club he would sign for.

Making his debut off the subs bench in a game against Arbroath, Bobby played as a striker but in his 152 appearances in green and white he would play in a variety of positions including both full back roles, wide left and centre midfield and as a striker, proving his versatility and his worth to the club. Whilst left full back was his most commonly played position it did not stop him scoring around 20 goals for the club.

In 1978 Bobby left to join Leicester City and clocked up around 200 appearances and scored 21 goals for the Foxes before having loan spells at Peterborough and then Hibs. Upon his return to Filbert Street he settled so well in a side that included Gary Lineker that he was soon made team captain. When John Blackley landed the manager’s job at Easter Road he persuaded Bobby to return on a permanent basis and the curly headed dynamo played a variety of positions to good effect until Alex Miller was appointed and Bobby was transferred to Dunfermline. After spells with Partick Thistle and Berwick Rangers he hung up his boots in 1991 and set about watching Hibs both home and away as often as he could.

Bobby, your name may not trip off the tongue quite so readily as your namesake Gordon but be sure that your worth to the team was of great measure and that you will remain in the thoughts of the Hibernian family.

On Saturday when Hibs play St. Johnstone there will be a tribute to these two great guys prior to kick off. If you saw either or both play then I’m sure you’ll have your own memories in mind during that tribute but if you’re too young to have seen either, be sure that these guys were as much heroes to me as are Riordan and Stokes in the team of today.

Thought provoking and an an excellent read.

Well done Jonny Boy.

:top marks

TornadoHibby
26-02-2010, 02:49 PM
:top marks J!

I had the pleasure of seeing both these guys in action and was in Bobby's company a few times in the 70's in some of the various "haunts" of that time now, of course, operating as different things including a lap dancing bar (used to be "Walkers" in those days!)! :wink:

Both guys were extremely decent chaps and I hope that the Hibernian support does them proud at ER tomorrow! :agree:

H18sry
26-02-2010, 02:58 PM
:top marks J!

I had the pleasure of seeing both these guys in action and was in Bobby's company a few times in the 70's in some of the various "haunts" of that time now, of course, operating as different things including a lap dancing bar (used to be "Walkers" in those days!)! :wink:

Both guys were extremely decent chaps and I hope that the Hibernian support does them proud at ER tomorrow! :agree:

Was it walkers in the 70's? :confused:

.Sean.
26-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Fantastic read :agree:

danderchook
26-02-2010, 03:29 PM
As always John a great read, I was very lucky to be a good pal of Bobbys and nipped his heid regular about his tales from Easter Road..
We are all still pretty numb about what happened so tomorrow is going to be a very emotional day, it is only when you read articles like the this that you realise what a fabulous career Bob had, hopefully the boys will give Alan and Bob a farewell to remember .

poolman
26-02-2010, 03:34 PM
:applause: :top marks

Great read :agree:

Riordans Boots
26-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Jonny, what a lovely tribute :agree:

:top marks :top marks :applause:

iwasthere1972
26-02-2010, 03:47 PM

A wonderful read and tribute to two fine footballers who knew how to play the game.

Big Frank
26-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Wonderful Jonnyboy.

Glory.

jacomo
26-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Jonny, what a lovely tribute :agree:

:top marks :top marks :applause:

Too young to have seen either of these players but thanks for summarising what I missed, and why so many at the club will miss them.

O'Rourke3
26-02-2010, 05:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Two of my favourite players from slightly different era's. A pleasure to watch and both left me with great memories.

Great article.

Gerard
26-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Dear John a great read:top marks
G

KeithTheHibby
26-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Great post and fitting tribute JB.:top marks

I am too young to remember any of the players however NEVER tire of watching Alan Gordon's second goal in the 7-0 game...Shades tackle and Gordon's header, vintage stuff.

ronaldo7
26-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice tribute John.

I too was at the school end for the Demolition of the Hearts. What a wonderful time the Tornadoes gave us:thumbsup:

The Perminator was a superb all rounder and just what we needed at the time.

Rip Alan, and Bobby.

TornadoHibby
26-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Was it walkers in the 70's? :confused:

Aye it certainly was! :agree:

That and Acquarius in Grindlay Street (now the Citrus Club I think!) was where the younger footballers tended to go on Saturday nights! :agree:

Capt Mainwaring
26-02-2010, 07:36 PM
A very warm and heartfelt tribute. Thanks for that.

Craig_in_Prague
26-02-2010, 07:43 PM
A very nice read, thanks John.

A lot of us younger ones that missed so many real 'greats' very much appreciate some of our stars in the day, and are also very saddened by the recent news.

RIP to both.

Lets hope we can cheer up the Hibernian family with a win and performance tomorrow.

GGTTH.

One Day Soon
26-02-2010, 08:05 PM

That's beautifully written. Just superb.

surreyhibbie
26-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Lovely tribute Jonnyboy, remember both players well, Alan was simply superb, and I think I saw him score his first goal for Hibs at Partick, my first away game.

Bobby was a great wee player. Remember a goal (at St Mirren) where he cut inside and beat a couple of players and spanked the ball into the net.

One of the papers even wrote it up on the Monday, with diagrams and everything, best goal they had seen IIRC.

Terrible loss to the Hibernian family..

Risboro Hibby
26-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Johnny Thanks very much for a wonderful tribute to two very fine players who we were very fortunate to see in the colours of our beloved club.

Your memory for these details are astonishing, and from someone coming from the same era as yourself I am very grateful that you can refresh so many of my memories at sad times like this and remind us how much part of the Hibs family players like Alan and Bobby were.

TrinityHibs
26-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Jonnyboy I generally dont go for RIP on line but your well considered and knowledgable tribute to both Alan Gordon and Bobby Smith has rightly been well received by the Netters. More importantly such fond memories and appreciations have to be welcomed by both family and friends at such a difficult time. For your warm, caring and informative piece Thanks

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
26-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Jonny,

throughout the week I had been thinking on and off about what else I could say in addition to the couple of hurried post I had made about 2 great hibbies who contributed in different ways at different times to something that means so much to us.

It was an interesting one because it could have been a debate about who did the most for us, truth is that they both left us with as much, from different starting points, their support after they left is remarkable - theres definitely something about being a hibby.

What a post Jonny. I am cutting and pasting it into my archive.:thumbsup:

Glory glory to the Hibees

Jonnyboy
26-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Lovely tribute Jonnyboy, remember both players well, Alan was simply superb, and I think I saw him score his first goal for Hibs at Partick, my first away game.

Bobby was a great wee player. Remember a goal (at St Mirren) where he cut inside and beat a couple of players and spanked the ball into the net.

One of the papers even wrote it up on the Monday, with diagrams and everything, best goal they had seen IIRC.

Terrible loss to the Hibernian family..

Yep, 05/02/1972 Partick 0 Hibs 2

Alan scored as did another late great - Erich Schaedler

chorley_fm
26-02-2010, 10:20 PM
nice one Jonnyboy.

You've put in to words so eloquently what many on here have been thinking.

Removed
26-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks John, Alan Gordon features highly in my earliest memories of going to ER and I can remember the posters I had of him on my bedroom wall in Portobello. If we'd had names on our strips then, he would have been right up there in the best sellers list :agree:

And Bobby Smith, I can still picture him now. His hair was so distinctive but he was a great player and well worthy of wearing the green and white.

That was a great read. I know you will probably shed a tear tomorrow and no doubt so will I.

Lucius Apuleius
27-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Well I had Turnbull 7 on my strip this year. Reckon next year's will be Gordon 9.

Lovely words auld yin.

KWJ
27-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Great read Sir. Have only witnessed Alan Gordon on video and while I may have seen Bobby Smith in the flesh I can't recall, a bit too young. I thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts on the pair :agree:

Hibby D
27-02-2010, 10:23 AM
A wonderful tribute JC and beautifully written as always - from the heart :top marks

hibbie02
27-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Splendid post Auld Yin! Very eloquent and informative as ever.

Alan Gordon was one of my childhood heroes (except when he played for THEM) and provided many of my childhood footy highlights. Was also privileged to see Bobby play in 2 stints at the club.

Nice one JB :thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
27-02-2010, 04:24 PM
A fine and fitting tribute Jonny. Exceedingly well conceived and written as always.

Thank you for rekindling some fond memories of Alan and Bobby.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Jonnyboy, there's a very good reason as to why you're in my top 5 posters on this site.

The above exemplifies it.

:top marks:top marks

Jonnyboy
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry to pull this thread back to the top folks but I thought I'd share a wee bit of info re Alan Gordon. I was doing a bit of research and I found that Alan scored in 62 games in a Hibs jersey, including friendlies and in those games Hibs lost only twice which for me is quite remarkable!

Hiber-nation
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Sorry to pull this thread back to the top folks but I thought I'd share a wee bit of info re Alan Gordon. I was doing a bit of research and I found that Alan scored in 62 games in a Hibs jersey, including friendlies and in those games Hibs lost only twice which for me is quite remarkable!

It certainly is. And well done for the article JC, excellent stuff.

Was just having a read through Alan's section in Hibernian Greats, again, fantastic stuff.

Jonnyboy
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM
It certainly is. And well done for the article JC, excellent stuff.

Was just having a read through Alan's section in Hibernian Greats, again, fantastic stuff.

Should have added that he scored 83 goals in those 62 games!

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
65 and 56 is definitely much too young to hand back the ticket. :boo hoo: