PDA

View Full Version : Underbelly

ArabHibee
26-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Has anyone watched this? I've got Monday's episode taped and I set up a series link for it. It has also taped Underbelly Uncut which was on last night.

As far as I can see its saying that last night's episode is the uncut version of Monday's episode but they are both only an hour long. Can someone shed some light on this? :confused:

marinello59
26-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Has anyone watched this? I've got Monday's episode taped and I set up a series link for it. It has also taped Underbelly Uncut which was on last night.

As far as I can see its saying that last night's episode is the uncut version of Monday's episode but they are both only an hour long. Can someone shed some light on this? :confused:

I think the only difference is that the uncut version is slightly swearier with some of the violent scenes being viewed from a different perspective. I may be wrong. :greengrin
Personally I found the guy from Taggarts commentary annoying but still a decent watch.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Probably chuck longer advert breaks into the cut version?

I watched it when it was on FX last year (might even have been the end of 2008). Pretty good series - based on a true story as well. I googled some of the names and there are interesting articles/you tube footage of them.

I wouldn't do that before you've watched the series though, unless you'ren ot bothered at seeing how many of them live and die.

Marabou Stork
26-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I watched it on FX last year as well. The first series was brilliant.

I've just finished the second series and it really isn't up to much at all. The third series starts in a couple of weeks, so I'll give it a chance, but if it's anything like the second series I'll be swerving it.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I watched it on FX last year as well. The first series was brilliant.

I've just finished the second series and it really isn't up to much at all. The third series starts in a couple of weeks, so I'll give it a chance, but if it's anything like the second series I'll be swerving it.

I read there was going to be a 2nd series but didn't realise it had been on already - was it on British TV?

I wasn't sure where they could go with it but I think talk was of a prequel?

Marabou Stork
26-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I read there was going to be a 2nd series but didn't realise it had been on already - was it on British TV?

I wasn't sure where they could go with it but I think talk was of a prequel?

It's available from some of the usual places.

It was a prequel, with only Alphonse Gangitano from series 1 making an appearance. The story could have been interesting, but they went over the top with sex and violence. It's also got the worst scottish accent from an actor that I've ever heard. It's abysmal.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 02:39 PM

One of these usual places where you have to pay to buy it or one of the usual places where you can download it for free? :greengrin

Marabou Stork
26-02-2010, 02:45 PM
One of these usual places where you have to pay to buy it or one of the usual places where you can download it for free? :greengrin

:wink:

Wilson
26-02-2010, 05:08 PM

It was a prequel, with only Alphonse Gangitano from series 1 making an appearance. The story could have been interesting, but they went over the top with sex and violence. It's also got the worst scottish accent from an actor that I've ever heard. It's abysmal.

Who is it? Ewan McGregor?

ArabHibee
26-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Cheers guys, I'll watch the uncut version then with the sweary words!
:greengrin

Steve-O
27-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Great series :agree:

Was getting huge advertising in Australia when I was there in 2007, started watching it in NZ in 2008, and then they took it off TV after 5 episodes for reasons unknown to me.

So, I bought the DVD and watched it ad free instead!

Pretty sure it's still illegal to buy in the state of Victoria due to pending court cases etc etc.

I've also read the book about it all. There are some slight differences in the TV show, but basically it's all a true a account of what happened.

I was also in Melbourne back in 2004/05 when it was all coming to an end pretty much but didn't know anything of it at the time!

Agree with above comments that the 2nd series wasn't up to much but this 3rd series (set between the 2 existing ones) apparently involves 'Chopper' Read so could be interesting.

Useless fact - Vince Colosimo who plays Gangitano has a brother (Simon) who plays for Sydney FC and Australia :agree:

Pete
27-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I watched the first show and enjoyed it. It looked like a cross between lock, stock and the Sopranos the way it was shot.

One thing I'm not really comfortable with is the fact that it was based on true events. It also doesn't sit well with me that this seems to be the main aspect that the advertising campaign is concentrating on.

What sort of message is this giving out?

"If you stick in at this scene not only might you reach the top of your tree...you might also become famous and be the subject of a TV show which immortalises you".

Danderhall Hibs
27-02-2010, 09:21 AM

"If you stick in at this scene not only might you reach the top of your tree...you might also become famous and be the subject of a TV show which immortalises you".

And dead or, if you're lucky, in jail for the rest of your days.

Steve-O
27-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I watched the first show and enjoyed it. It looked like a cross between lock, stock and the Sopranos the way it was shot.

One thing I'm not really comfortable with is the fact that it was based on true events. It also doesn't sit well with me that this seems to be the main aspect that the advertising campaign is concentrating on.

Watch the rest of the series and the revisit the above post...

There are plenty of similar examples of movies and tv shows that are based on true events and could be accused of 'glamourising' violence / drugs etc.

ArabHibee
28-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Watched the first episode today and definitely would give it a :thumbsup:.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series.

frazeHFC
25-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Underbelly is bloody awesome :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
25-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't take it seriously.

Australian Sopranos my jacksie.

The accents are hilarious.

Flaming Galla!

Steve-O
26-03-2010, 06:50 AM
I can't take it seriously.

Australian Sopranos my jacksie.

The accents are hilarious.

Flaming Galla!

I don't know why the marketed it in that way really.

It's a dramatisation of a gangland war, and really, is nothing like The Sopranos at all.

Alas, I am used to the accents these days...I can barely take a Scottish accent seriously!