PDA

View Full Version : Question Have you ever ............

Jonnyboy
25-02-2010, 11:14 PM
........... been to watch Hearts play when they weren't playing Hibs?

I'll come clean and say I've done it twice but I have good reasons to offer in my defence :greengrin

First time it was to help a friend out whose son is a Jambo and as my friend was working I agreed to take the laddie to see Hearts play Velez Mostar yonks ago.

Second time I was covering a game for Rivals.net and was in the Tynecastle press box when Hearts played Stuttgart. My favourite moment from that game was when the German fans belted out "Zing ven you're vinning, you only zing when you're vinning" :greengrin

So, any other guilty souls want to ease their conscience by coming clean?

WindyMiller
25-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I was in the Gorgie end when they lost the league to Killie in 1965.

jws1875
25-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Hearts barca game but only for barca :agree:

Albanian Hibs
25-02-2010, 11:18 PM
:bitchy: never have and never will

Jonnyboy
25-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Dancer :thumbsup:

Calvin
Went to the most dire 0-0 ever a few years ago, Hearts 0-0 ICT.

I wasn't doing anything and there was a spare ticket going free. I like football so I went, although I didn't see any on that occasion.

18Craig75
My Dad's best mate at the time took me to Tynecastle to watch Hearts v Dundee Utd. I was too young at the time to say no I guess, my Dad wasn't best pleased I bet :greengrin.

Sat right up the back of their excuse of a main stand, scarred me for life!

matty_f
25-02-2010, 11:23 PM
No, but I was in the away end for a 'Well v Huns game when I was young.
My dad had promised to take me to Easter Road but put his back out, so his mate - a Celtc fan oddly enough- got tickets for that game instead.
Huns won 0-1 with a Graeme Roberts goal.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Went to Tynecastle with a Celtic supporting mate in early 80's, and witnessed a 5-0 trouncing.:thumbsup:

Stanton
Yep ...was at tynie for a Fartz v the green bigots game ....cannae mind why noo :confused:

was in with weegie Green Bigots crowd :bitchy:

marinello59
Went along with a pal to a Sheep v Yams match at PITtodorie once. It only sticks in the mind because Gary Smith made his debut for the sheep that night and got sent off. Given that I have an intense dislike of both sides I found the whole experience strangely unemotional.

BroxburnHibee
25-02-2010, 11:29 PM

I'll come clean and say I've done it twice but I have good reasons to offer in my defence :greengrin

First time it was to help a friend out whose son is a Jambo and as my friend was working I agreed to take the laddie to see Hearts play Velez Mostar yonks ago.

Second time I was covering a game for Rivals.net and was in the Tynecastle press box when Hearts played Stuttgart. My favourite moment from that game was when the German fans belted out "Zing ven you're vinning, you only zing when you're vinning" :greengrin

My name is Dave and...............................:greengrin

I was actually in with the Clydebank fans (there weren't many ) near the end of Hertz 31 in a row.

Brother begged me to take him and I think I was secretly hoping to see lots of them bawling there eyes out as it all went tits up :hilarious

Unfortunately they won - still my dreams came true a week later :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting me unburden myself John :aok: I've stored that up for 24 years :greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-02-2010, 11:30 PM
My name is Dave and...............................:greengrin

I was actually in with the Clydebank fans (there weren't many ) near the end of Hertz 31 in a row.

Brother begged me to take him and I think I was secretly hoping to see lots of them bawling there eyes out as it all went tits up :hilarious

Unfortunately they won - still my dreams came true a week later :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting me unburden myself John :aok: I've stored that up for 24 years :greengrin

Here to serve :greengrin

greenginger
25-02-2010, 11:36 PM

So was I, about level with the 18 yard line at the Gorgie end with my Hibs scarf on. I stuck it in my pocket on the way home.

I also saw the end of a Hearts v Dundee game about the same time. I had been at Murrayfield watching Scotland getting gubbed by Ireland I think, left early and walked round to Tynie and Dundee were winning 7 - 0. then hearts scored and it finished 7 - 1.

I really should go back more often ! :devil:

Ed De Gramo
25-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Went along with ma pal to watch a one all draw with the tims....Velicka scored a last minute penalty....felt ill like!

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Used to do it a lot.

Would go with my Granda to Tynie one week, ER the next. A lot of folk did it, just to see a game of football.

Saw Dundee put 7 past them once :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Yams v Celtic in a league cup game a few yrs back. My pal from school had a season ticket with his old man, his dad phoned him at school that day to say he couldnt make the game(was a Wed nite game iirc) so he asked me to chum him with the spare season ticket. Said no danger at first but then he reminded me that I was owe him a big favour so I agreed. Celtic won in extra time. Im sure it finished something daft like 5-2. Greatly enjoyed the look of despair on all the ugly faces around me each time they conceded

Cameron1875
25-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Must have been around 11 or 12 at the time when i heard that hearts had a massive flu bug and most of their first team would be out for the saturday game. Hibs were away so i decided to sit in the inverness end at tynecastle. Caley promptly stuffed them 2-0 and i walked away a very happy hibee:greengrin

jgl07
25-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I won't even watch Hearts when they are playing Hibs!

An Leargaidh
25-02-2010, 11:56 PM
I won't even watch Hearts when they are playing Hibs!

RAOFL :faf: superb mate, spoken like a through and through Hibby :thumbsup:

Si_17
25-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Twice. Both times in the away end as I'd gone along with pals who supported the opposition. Seen Jim Hamilton punch in an equaliser for the Pars, and seen Killie beat them 2-1 last season.

Cameron1875
25-02-2010, 11:59 PM
*i was in dunfermline end aswell with a par supporting mate. Remember Craig Gordon went nuts when hamilton "bundled" it in:wink:

GIRUY:jamboak:

Greentinted
26-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Having worked in football over 3 decades I have had much more than my fair share of watching Hearts. Hard to admit but I have been paid to attend over 300 of their fixtures since the late 80s. Funny enough though, now that I'm thinking about it, I can't think of many memorable games. Maybe the UEFA cup game v Stuttgart when Petric the overpaid donkey missed a sitter in the last minute stands out a bit.

jacomo
26-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm kinda intrigued by the state of their main stand - how bad is it?

I didn't go to the semi final there in 2007, which would have been the obvious opportunity to try it out, but reports that came back said the main stand was a horror show.

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2010, 12:09 AM
my ex-wife and i went through to darkheid for the sellick v hertz SC game in 1983(hibs weren't playing that day, cant remember why) 4-1 for sellick :greengrin

NOLA
26-02-2010, 01:52 AM
been to see hertz at parkhead with a celtic mate, craig burley scored a late winner:thumbsup:

JE89
26-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Was bored one Saturday so went to Hearts v Dundee Utd at Tynie. Sat in the Utd end and could see Jambos that I knew giving me a 'is that him and why is he here' look.
Utd won 2-1 with a last minute Steven Thompson goal :aok:

1875godsgift
26-02-2010, 02:06 AM
My grandad, staunch jambo that he was god bless him, took me and my cousin to tynie when we were about 6, I think. We shouted for Hibs the whole way through, can't remember who was playing but it wasn't Hibs!
I think he was so embarrassed he never took us back!

Hermit Crab
26-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Went to see hearts v dunfermline in the cup last year i was in the pars end but unfortunatly the yams won 2-1 after going 0-1 down. Another Stewart penalty scored in that game aswell :grr::grr:

NaeTechnoHibby
26-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Yes, went with an ex to an game v Aberdeen around 1991-ish (cold winter day with the snow blowing around full pelt tae) and they were getting horsed and he said we should go, with me s******ing at 0-3 and when we got back to the car it was 0-4 :thumbsup:

McGinlay was the ref and getting pelters.

I also saw them get beat in some European game around the same time- tae :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
26-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Dozens of times, even used to go and watch them train twice a week!!!!! Thankfully it was that youth league thing:greengrin

RMG_82
26-02-2010, 05:56 AM
no! never have, would never even consider it :grr:

i hope you sat in a bath of Dettol afterwards

sick puppy

alfieboi75
26-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Me fither took me to watch his Jambo team a few times, but they were phish!!!

One week, suggested he took me to Easter Road.....he was livid...but Hibs won!!!!

Ahhhh.....he was not a happy man...but guess who was:thumbsup:

P.S - Quick question folks.....does anyone remember Hibs defeating Rangers two nil, with Boni Ginzburg in goals? He made his debut that day!!!! Cannot mind what date that was!!

Hopefully someone can help??

PaulSmith
26-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, when I was still at school my Sat game was called off and ended up at Tynie.

Aberdeen scored very late in the game to win and Hibs scored a last minute winner up at Tannadice...which resulted in the sheep fans taunting the Jambo's with "Hibees, Hibees!".

Hibby D
26-02-2010, 07:54 AM
My Jambo loving mate asked me to go with her to a Hertz game a few years ago to watch a cup fixture v Motherwell.............at Easter Road :agree:

The Mothers won aet - what a beautiful moment that was :greengrin

I think I managed to say "what a shame pal" about 10 times.

Strangely, one of the most enjoyable games at ER that year :hilarious

lyonhibs
26-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Jesus no!!

Although I was tempted to sit on the Killie end a couple of seasons ago but couldn't justify the time as I was deep in dissertation hell. Shame, as Killie won!!

Only been to one SPL game not involving Hibs - Rangers vs Murderwell at Ibrox as it was my Hun's mate's birthday and some other misguided mate had bought as all tickets.

It was Arveladze's last game, Huns won 4-1 and the best moment of the day was when the Mwell fans started singing "I am a person" in repsonse to the Huns "We arra peepul" nonsense.

:faf:

Peevemor
26-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I once went to an East of Scotland Shield semi final at Tynie where they were playing Meadowbank. We were standing with the away fans in the old enclosure in front of the main stand and whipped our Hibs scarves out of our pockets for the final 10 minutes - it provoked the biggest reaction all night from the 3,000 or so yams who were there.

Apart from that, I went once with my Fife neeburrr when Raith were in the premier league - I met him off the train at Haymarket at 10.00ish, and we started on the vitamin G straight away in Diane's pool hall.

I remember almost nothing about the match.

horseflesh
26-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Was piss bored one midweek in 86 and went to the PBS but went to the away end. Was v Aberdeen and the fitba they played then was gash as well

jakki
26-02-2010, 08:46 AM

I was there too :greengrin.
I used to go to Tynie every second Saturday until I discovered the Hibs SC and their buses to away games.:thumbsup:

Disc O'Dave
26-02-2010, 08:52 AM
We once had some Americans over on business, and one, very strange for a Yank, loved "football", and was even quite a sensible, likeable chap to boot.

He wanted to go to a real football match (his words), but Hibs were at Ibrox in the cup, so we got corporate seats at Hearts V ICT (that'sll be the 3-1 to caley game)

I remember their corporate host commenting that our table semed pretty happy afterwards, and that we must have been Caley fans. Imagine the sheer joy when me and the accounts director said "No, we're Hibbies"

One last swig of the free champers, and we made good our exit :o)

Sick Boy
26-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I went to the Schalke game at Murrayfield a few years ago. It was total gash and they lost 1-0. Seeing all the tripping faces and hearing the moans after the game was the undoubted highlight of the evening.:greengrin

Jack
26-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Early 70s, early teens, while I was paying to get into ER I had a very wealthy neighbour who wanted a chum for his quite unpopular son to go to the football with. I wouldn’t take him the ER (he was that unpopular I wouldn’t introduce to my mates) so I would go to the occasional Hearts league match and most of the Texaco games (I’m sure the Wolves game was the first where I saw the twirlly scarves thing – aye the Wolves supporters).

They had some very good players in these and I went on to play against Ernie Winchester a few years later. After the game, in which I scored a hat trick we got talking and I recalled some of these games and he ‘congratulated’ me on being a Hearts supporter. I told him I was a Hibby and only went to these games to do my homework on him so that I could score plenty goals when I played against him! Oh how we laughed :greengrin – I think you had to be there!!! :yawn:

While we didn’t like the Hearts then there never seemed the bitterness there is now. Quite often folk would recognize me at the games as being a Hibby which brought about a bit of respect and appreciation from them rather than the abuse I’d expect these days.

Different times.

I don’t think I’ve been since the mid 80s, for any game. I’ve cleansed my soul. :cool2:

vincipernoi
26-02-2010, 09:11 AM
seen them in non hibs games about 4-5 times in the 80s at tiny

got a great record

draw to D United,
last minute equaliser by celtic
some nondescript game against Dundee

and was in the hearts end for the 86 cup final (went with a jambo supporting friend)

was up to ma knees in jambo tears

priceless

Monktonhall 7
26-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I have done a few. The first ever match I attended was Yams v St. Mirren 1968. It was that bad, I was a confirmed Hibby from then on in. The worst memory, or confession is Cup Final 1998. We had aranged Hospitality at work at Parkhead, and needed someone to meet the customers in Edinburgh, and host the day. I thought they had no chance of beating der Hun, and agreed. Of the 18 people in the box, 8 were Yams, 8 were Huns, 1 was a Tim, and me. The Huns were not too unhappy as their wee team had finally won something, the Yams were obviously delerious, the Tim was happy that the Huns got beaten, and I was slumped in the corner of the box in shock. Never, ever again.

number 27
26-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I remember during their yo-yo years I was on the bus home from my game when we went past tynie. We had heard they were losing 1-0 to Motherwell in a game they had to win to stay in the promotion race.

We got off the bus and went in to the 'well end when they opened the gates.

Motherwell scored two late goals and Hearts fans started fighting each other - hilarious :faf:

lapsedhibee
26-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Stuck in the weej one Saturday afternoon waiting for a wumman so went to Ibrox. Huns won 6-0 :thumbsup: but I never went back there.

Only other time, took a young relly to the PBS to see cup tie against Stenhousemuir. Sten'muir went two up :thumbsup: but a McSwegan-inspired yams fought back to win 3-2 :bitchy:

Sudds_1
26-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Only the once........honest, and a few years ago at that.

Them v Bayern Munich, and only then coz my then Brother in law used to play for them!

I consider myself pure now :greengrin

skipster7
26-02-2010, 10:12 AM

One week, suggested he took me to Easter Road.....he was livid...but Hibs won!!!!

P.S - Quick question folks.....does anyone remember Hibs defeating Rangers two nil, with Boni Ginzburg in goals? He made his debut that day!!!! Cannot mind what date that was!!

i remember it blowing a gale that day and ginzbug fumbled a few.micky weir and houchen were our scorers.maybe about 1989/90 ?:confused:

Ritchie
26-02-2010, 10:26 AM
i was ballboy at tynie once....... :jamboak:

my school footy coach was john frame who at the time was on the board at hearts.

he used to take the players who performed best in our match to be ballboy.

not one of my finest moments but i was young and daft!

thebakerboy
26-02-2010, 10:31 AM
My missus's uncle from our foreign neighbours country came to visit and as hes fitba daft insisted on going to a game. As was not long married and the only game in town was Hearts v Rangers reluctantly agreed to take him , a horrible afternoon ensued and I genuinely cannot remember the score. Got my own back by insisting, on a visit down there, that we went to Old Trafford and him being a massive Man City fan,. it was good revenge.:greengrin

PeeJay
26-02-2010, 10:46 AM
........... been to watch Hearts play when they weren't playing Hibs? So, any other guilty souls want to ease their conscience by coming clean?

Back in the sixties - I loved being at ER in the stadium on a Saturday, but being too young, I wasn't allowed to travel to away games (never knew anyone at the time who did, anyway) so on those Saturdays when Hibs weren't playing at home I would frequently go to Tynie - NEVER supported Hearts though!!

In those days you could get lifted over the turnstile or go anywhere you liked on the terracing, wasn't too expensive either really, of course. I remember later on attending some Hearts v Rangers SC "quarter final" where I stood in line for over an hour or more to just get in (more than 35,000 packed into the ground (?), people spilling over onto the track) - and I remember thinking "I hate everybody in here!" - only really went to derbies after that, if I recall.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-02-2010, 10:49 AM
yip, watched them get pumped in the infamous 2-1 defeat to Celtic it was a SC semi final @ Hampden when they had the game won 1-0, only for 2 late late Celtic goals :thumbsup:

some angry faces in the Yam end:greengrin

johnrebus
26-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yams 3, Huns 1.

Towards the end of the famous Albert Kidd season.

Thing I remember most was walking to the pigsty before the game and listening to the Jambo half-wits discussuing who they would draw in the European Cup.......,

Was also at Yams V St Johnstone at ER in League Cup semi which Saints won 3 nil - incuding a 30 yard stormer from a certain A. Preston.............,

:faf:

nanamag
26-02-2010, 11:02 AM
never been to tynie and never will,:thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
26-02-2010, 11:02 AM

unfortunatley many times because of work !! did go to a couple of games as a friend had no one else to go with.

think i saw them about 4 times in all,beaten 3 times and won against queen of the south in the early 80`s

scoopyboy
26-02-2010, 11:34 AM
My old boy got two free season tickets one season when he bought a Ford Cortina Crusader from Alexanders who were their shirt sponsors at the time.

If Hibs weren't playing I would use them, partly to p*** off a guy at his work who would get them if I didn't want them.

FranckSuzy
26-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I went to Tynecastle to watch Hearts v Motherwell, probably about 1985-6 as my wee boyfriend at the time was a Jambo and I wanted to impress him. However, the plan was ruined when the friend I went with became ill during the game and I had to go to the police and ask for help. We were 13/14 years old and the first question they asked was had she been drinking :rolleyes: ? Well, after much indignation (didn't start drinking till the year after :greengrin) they believed me she hadn't and they grudgingly got the first aiders over. We were then taken around the pitch, with her in a wheelchair, and had coins thrown at us and pies! Old guys were shouting "is that yous getting lifted?" and we were taken down the tunnel to the Hearts doctor's room. There, she was told, after a quick check that her jeans were too tight (days of the classic Pepe's):grr::faf: and to pop off home. I had to get my dad to pick us up as she was too ill to get the bus and as soon as we got home, an ambulance was called as she actually had appendicitis! Her dad, a good Hibby, was raging and I think complained to Hearts about the doctor's 'diagnosis'. Was probably the kit man we saw :bitchy: :greengrin

lapsedhibee
26-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I went to Tynecastle to watch Hearts v Motherwell, probably about 1985-6 as my wee boyfriend at the time was a Jambo and I wanted to impress him. However, the plan was ruined when the friend I went with became ill during the game and I had to go to the police and ask for help. We were 13/14 years old and the first question they asked was had she been drinking :rolleyes: ? Well, after much indignation (didn't start drinking till the year after :greengrin) they believed me she hadn't and they grudgingly got the first aiders over. We were then taken around the pitch, with her in a wheelchair, and had coins thrown at us and pies! Old guys were shouting "is that yous getting lifted?" and we were taken down the tunnel to the Hearts doctor's room. There, she was told, after a quick check that her jeans were too tight (days of the classic Pepe's):grr::faf: and to pop off home. I had to get my dad to pick us up as she was too ill to get the bus and as soon as we got home, an ambulance was called as she actually had appendicitis! Her dad, a good Hibby, was raging and I think complained to Hearts about the doctor's 'diagnosis'. Was probably the kit man we saw :bitchy: :greengrin

Hertz' medical facilities in the old days. :tsk tsk:

What they would have given then for a set of magic sticks. :agree:

Nameless
26-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Been to loads of hertz games, too many to remember. I used to live in the colonies at shandon when I was about 11/12, and all my mates were jambos, so I would just tag along with them of a saturday. I can honestly say though, apart from derbies, I have never in my life paid to get into tynie.

If Only
26-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Me too, also there when they got beat by Motherwell in the first division to stop them getting promoted.

blackhibee
26-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Was taken to the Hearts v Partick Thistle game when I was 6 by the babysitter and her boyfriend. My dad sacked her.

proud_and_green
26-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Used to do it a lot.

Would go with my Granda to Tynie one week, ER the next. A lot of folk did it, just to see a game of football.

Saw Dundee put 7 past them once :greengrin

When i was young, friends and i - all Hibees - used to go turn about to easter Road and Tynecastle.

I remember one time we were in the corner of the shed by the school end and they were chanting Jam Tarts and i just shouted out HIBEES at the top of my voice by accident. Got some real pelters and had to leg it pretty quick style - didn't go back after that. IN fact i think my first return there was Mixu's first game when we won 0 - 1!!! Haven't been since then though!

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Hearts barca game but only for barca :agree:

That can't be right :confused:

All the yam fuds over on boakback say they were ALL homofc fans at that game!

:wink:

Father Ted
26-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Must have been in the late 60's or early 70's, it was my birthday and I got a new hibs strip and wanted to wear it to a game that day, but Hibs were playing away somewhere. So I made my old man take me to Tynie wearing my brand spanking new Hibs strip, I'm pretty sure my me and the old man got pelters but it was mostly banter like 'are you no at the wrong game son?' but they took it fairly well. Still canny believe I done that to my faither.:jamboak:

Twa Cairpets
26-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I attended the Barca game as my daughter was playing at the kids pre-match tourney on the pitch. I still get a lot of stick for this.

fife hfc
26-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I have to admit when i was younger I spent a season going to easter Road one week and Tynie the next, think it was 81-82 season (we were in the premier and they were in the first).

My uncle was across from australia and loves Hearts but also likes football and since the rest of my family are huns and jambos he used to take me to see Hibs then along to see them the next week. Remember one week leaving Tynecastle and it came over the tannoy that hibs had beaten Dundee and I cheered. I think the only thing that saved me was that I was so young.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Twice, 1st vs Spurs in a freindly and second vs Motherwell in a league game. both in the late 80s. Spurs won 2-0, can't remember the other.

I also got caught jumping over the gate between the main stand and the old away end but that doesn't count as I technically never made it in to the ground.

Ray_
26-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Many times during the late sixties & early seventies [only when hibs, the reserves or Scotland [any level at hampden] were not playing]

Hearts played good football in them days & I saw some excellent Texaco Cup encounters included in some of the games I went to.

IWasThere2016
26-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Yes - a few times :embarrass I can recall:

East Fife 2-3 Hearts (SC, late 70s - great game tbh)

Hearts 1-0 Cellic (early 90's, co. had hospy :cool2:)

Arabs 4-1 Hearts (Ginger Mikey goes mental, abuses fans + sent aff - they had 8 men at finish :faf:)

Arabs bt Hearts again - don't recall score and think Mikey was sent aff again! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
26-02-2010, 01:31 PM

19 August 1989 Hibs 2 Rangers 0

Keith Houchen and Mickey Weir

:thumbsup:

Wembley67
26-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Very first game I went to was a Hearts v Aberdeen game...ended up 0-0 and all I remember was Hearts scored only for it to be ruled out for something - since then I have absolutely despised them.

I'm not even sure why we went to that game as my dad has no interest in football..infact maybe that's why he took me to that :greengrin

iwasthere1972
26-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Did it a few times when it was pretty normal to go to ER one week and Tynie the next although I have always been of the green persuasion.

I did however go to Hampden with my brother in law in 1974 to watch the Hertz play out a boring 0-0 with the Arabs. If my memory serves me right the "Hertz" bus was passed by the Hibs "Pentland" bus somewhere on the way home from Hampden. I frequently travelled on the "Pentland" bus and my Hibby supporting mates gave me pelters when they spotted me on the "rivals" coach. :greengrin

Sergey
26-02-2010, 01:56 PM
It's a no from me.

I did attend a Huns Vs Sheep match at Ibrox one weekend, as a lad I worked with had a spare ticket for the away end. I also attended the Dundee Vs Dundee Utd match that won Utd the title at Dens Park.

IIRC, that's the only two club matches in Scotland that I've attended that didn't involve Hibs.

clerriehibs
26-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I used to see most of the 2nd half at that dump every 2nd week in my early teens. I worked in catering (going round the track with the tray, and supplying the pie stalls) for both Hibs & Hearts. Safe to say, altho' I saw as much of either team for going on 4 years, there was never ever any hint of any kind of support for them from me whatsoever.

Remarkably, I almost set the old main stand on fire once. I was trying to connect a large calor gas canister to the old boiler in a pie hut in the stand, and somehow (I've no idea how!) it turned into a flamethrower! In a wooden pie hut. In a wooden stand. Luckily, Mr Jamieson (not Willie), the catering manager, wasn't too far away, and was able to extinguish it. Also very luckily, this was long before kick-off and no punters were in the stadium.

Another time, I forgot to lock the gate between the dunbar end and the old terracing during a hibs/huns game when I was wandering between pie huts (with £300 up my jumper). Needless to say, some huns discovered this, and an almighty terracing battle ensued. I never owned up to that one at the time!

Admittedly stupid, but would you entrust a 15 yr old with keys to go right round the ground?

Pretty Boy
26-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Went to a Hertz v Celtc game years ago and sat in what is now known as section N. Can't remember the score but i do know it was a draw and Tosh McKinlay scored for Hertz.

I had been going to ER for a while before that and just wanted to see what Hertz where all about, my cousin and her husband(both Jambos) agreed to take me. I remember the game was actually pretty decent but it just didn't feel right. I think i even wore a Hertz scarf :bitchy:. Needless to say i've never been back to Tynecastle in a non Hibs capacity since and don't intend to go ever again.

alfieboi75
26-02-2010, 03:28 PM
19 August 1989 Hibs 2 Rangers 0

Keith Houchen and Mickey Weir

Cheers Jonnyboy......:not worth

Me faither, jambo fan, cheered on Hibs that day.....at the end, he said Hibs are still phish!!!

Ger'ra it up 'yea!!!!:thumbsup:

Ahhh.....

Greenheart
26-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Yep been to see them a few times when they have played Falkirk and I lived there. Supported Falkirk though best one was when the Bairns beat them 4-3 in the Scottish at Brockville.

Golden Bear
26-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Confession time!

Yes - I believe I was at that game also - my big brother (who was then a hawrts fan made be tag along)

Great result though ------- and an even better one as he saw the light shortly afterwards and is now one of the Hibernian faithful!

erin go bragh
26-02-2010, 03:55 PM
only the once[sure it were a cup game at the pbs v motherwell]
86or87 . went with 3 jambo mates and got ejected from thier top corner for celebrating a motherwell goal:greengrin

Jonnyboy
26-02-2010, 03:57 PM
only the once[sure it were a cup game at the pbs v motherwell]
86or87 . went with 3 jambo mates and got ejected from thier top corner for celebrating a motherwell goal:greengrin

:greengrin

HibbyDave
26-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I can remember going to see Hearts V Rangers at Tynie donkeys years ago when Tynie had a covered terrace that went all along the length of what is now the Wheatfield stand and round the coner at the school end. Can't remember the score but undoubtedly saw the largest Rangers away support ever to visit Tynecastle. The noise was unbelieveable with chorus after chorus of "Willie, Willie Johnston, Willie Johnston on the wing". Electric atmosphere but not enough to sway me from the true path GGTTH.

lapsedhibee
26-02-2010, 04:39 PM
My uncle was across from australia and loves Hearts but also likes football and since the rest of my family are huns and jambos he used to take me to see Hibs then along to see them the next week.
:greengrin

andudare2
26-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I was in the Gorgie end when they lost the league to Killie in 1965. so was i mate, went with 2 mates 1 a jmbo other a killie fan, his dad took us another killie fan, 11 years old & still loved it. strangely enough the 2 mates both changed to being hibby,s first bit of missionary work i ever done.:faf::faf::notworthy:

goosano
26-02-2010, 04:54 PM
A mate came up from Yorkshire for the weekend and wanted to see a game. The Edinburgh game on that weekend was at the PBS, the minihuns and the huns. Bananas were thrown at Mark Walters, Souness was roundly abused in song for his wife having left him for another man (Souness, Souness where's your wife etc) and the Huns won 2-0

greenlex
26-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Once.

During a lost weekend a good few years ago. A bevy session that started luchtime friday and only finished on the Monday night IIRC.

Anyway it included a Hearts v Rangers game apparently. The game was the one where Willie Johnstone stamped on someone.

If its ok I will confess to another game not involving Hibs.
Another lost weekend with similar drinking times.
Dundee Utd V Rangers. Was so pissed I ended up getting thrown out for singing Hibs songs. Taken by Taysides finest miles from the ground and dumped.

Aslo at Dens for the derby when Utd won the league in 83 courtesy of Billy Kirkwood.

Not proud but there it is laid bare. :boo hoo:

Ireallywasthere
26-02-2010, 05:57 PM
1965 - against Kilmarnock. The first ever game my dad took me to, didn't know why at the time as he was a hibby.
I now know he was a hibby blessed with foresight :greengrin

iwasthere1972
26-02-2010, 06:01 PM
1965 - against Kilmarnock. The first ever game my dad took me to, didn't know why at the time as he was a hibby.
I now know he was a hibby blessed with foresight :greengrin

I wasn't there but I wish I had been. :devil:

YouTube - Hearts 0 Killie 2 (24/04/1965) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93_7Gz5FTQ)

Edited: Just a thought. I think Alan Gordon played in that match and went close to scoring near the end.

Ireallywasthere
26-02-2010, 06:12 PM

YouTube - Hearts 0 Killie 2 (24/04/1965) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93_7Gz5FTQ)
Thanks for that, a good watch. It's just as I remembered. ..
The main stand in the background hasn't changed much :greengrin

Brizo
26-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Hertz vs Arsenal pre season friendly sometime in the early 80s with Jambo mates.

Stood in the School End. It was obvious that the Hertz viewed Arsenal as a "Catholic" team and there was a constant stream of "fenian b" type abuse directed at the gooners from Jambos of all ages.

down-the-slope
26-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I used to see most of the 2nd half at that dump every 2nd week in my early teens. I worked in catering (going round the track with the tray, and supplying the pie stalls) for both Hibs & Hearts. Safe to say, altho' I saw as much of either team for going on 4 years, there was never ever any hint of any kind of support for them from me whatsoever.

Remarkably, I almost set the old main stand on fire once. I was trying to connect a large calor gas canister to the old boiler in a pie hut in the stand, and somehow (I've no idea how!) it turned into a flamethrower! In a wooden pie hut. In a wooden stand. Luckily, Mr Jamieson (not Willie), the catering manager, wasn't too far away, and was able to extinguish it. Also very luckily, this was long before kick-off and no punters were in the stadium.

Another time, I forgot to lock the gate between the dunbar end and the old terracing during a hibs/huns game when I was wandering between pie huts (with £300 up my jumper). Needless to say, some huns discovered this, and an almighty terracing battle ensued. I never owned up to that one at the time!

Admittedly stupid, but would you entrust a 15 yr old with keys to go right round the ground?

Now I remember that rangers game..was it early 80's? - due to high fencing etc ther was litle need for police..so when rivals fans piled into each other it was some time before L&B's finest got control again

Hainan Hibs
26-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Will be doing it tomorrow. Thankfully in the Dons end with a mate. Couldn't really turn down the chance to shout abuse at the Yams:greengrin

Sergey
26-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Will be doing it tomorrow. Thankfully in the Dons end with a mate. Couldn't really turn down the chance to shout abuse at the Yams:greengrin

You'll get 2 for the price of 1....

...hurl abuse at McGhee while your at it :agree:

Mibbes Aye
26-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hertz vs Arsenal pre season friendly sometime in the early 80s with Jambo mates.

Stood in the School End. It was obvious that the Hertz viewed Arsenal as a "Catholic" team and there was a constant stream of "fenian b" type abuse directed at the gooners from Jambos of all ages.

:agree: I was at that game.

I think Charlie Nicholas might have been at Arsenal by that stage, which would have maybe explained some of the vitriol. Probably the yam hordes were also worked up into a frenzy by the presence of David O'Leary's name on the teamsheet :rolleyes: :greengrin. I only have vague memories of the game but I seem to recall Arsenal looking much bigger and infinitely more exotic than the Homfc team - bubble perms, Laaaahndan accents and that :agree:

Also saw Dunfermline beat them 1-0 in a midweek game in the mid to late 80s. Happy days :greengrin

Saw them against PSG as well, back in the mid-80s.

Can't imagine trotting along to watch them now, but would never rule out a Cup tie against a lower-league side if I had more than the obvious reason to support them. And not that it's likely just now, but I would consider going to a home European tie, were it involving a team I would like to see, though I think it would definitely have to be away end only.

Brizo
26-02-2010, 08:52 PM
:agree: I was at that game.

I think Charlie Nicholas might have been at Arsenal by that stage, which would have maybe explained some of the vitriol. Probably the yam hordes were also worked up into a frenzy by the presence of David O'Leary's name on the teamsheet :rolleyes: :greengrin. I only have vague memories of the game but I seem to recall Arsenal looking much bigger and infinitely more exotic than the Homfc team - bubble perms, Laaaahndan accents and that :agree:

Cheeky Charlie was indeed playing and had what I believe hair stylists used to call a "****gy perm" :greengrin. If id known then that 25 years later he'd be murdering the English language on Soccer Saturday and spouting anti Hibs drivel in his tabloid "articles" id have probably joined in the abuse :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 08:57 PM
My granda took me a few times when I was about 7 or 8 - I was at a Watford game pre-season (I think?) plus a couple in the 85/86 season. Andy Watson was a "supersub" back then and John Robertson had just re-joined from Newcastle. Can't really remember which games though - only one I really remember was Dundee at Tiny we got there late and it was already 1 or 2 nil.

I didn't really take to it. :greengrin

--------
26-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Dancer :thumbsup:

That's odd - so was I. Who were you guys supporting? :devil:

I actually used to go fairly often with a Hearts-supporting mate - he came to ER with me on a number of occasions too.

Changed days.

BoltonHibee
26-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Twice that I can recall,

once against Arsenal, not long after Alex Cropley had moved to them IIRC and another against Wolves in the Texaco Cup or whatever it was called.

I cannot for the life of me remember why I went!

BenjiOscar
26-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Just the once - pre season friendly in the early 1990's against Spurs. Had a friend who was a Dundee fan but his English team were Spurs so I agreed to go along with him.

thebakerboy
26-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I forgot about another yams match. Was asked along with another Hibee to help fill a bus for a cup final against Rangers ( the bribe was free drink , think they would have been better going 1 short ) when the Huns scored before 3 o'clock. Ref started game with fans still queing at Yams end and I think derek Johnstone scored before we got in . Dont remember much else except getting the 3drd degree next day as to why I did not get home till 3am. What a day :jamboak:

greenlex
26-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Just the once - pre season friendly in the early 1990's against Spurs. Had a friend who was a Dundee fan but his English team were Spurs so I agreed to go along with him.
Was it Sniff?:dizzy:

--------
26-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Edited: Just a thought. I think Alan Gordon played in that match and went close to scoring near the end.

He did.

And he did. If he'd scored, they'd have won the flag. But he didn't, and they didn't. It's his shot to the foot of Ferguson's right-hand post, just at the 2 minute mark on the video clip. Ferguson makes a superb save. It was that close.

vahibbie
26-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Twice.
First ever game was Yams v Huns with my Dad.
It was a mid-week game and I have to admit to being well impressed.:bitchy:
Thankfully my auld man was a Hibby so next few games were at ER and it obviously stuck:greengrin
Second time was against Celtic during my Rebel song years:devil:

The Harp
26-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Around about '60/61 season I went wi a school pal one week to the Holy Ground and the next, to what we now refer to, as the PBS. My pal was one of only a handful o' Jambos (although the term 'Jambo' wasn't in use at the time) at St Tony's. Prior to that I'd always gone to see the reserves on a Sat when the first team were playing away from home. Can remember watching Motherwell taking SIX off them.:greengrin
I joined the supporters club in '63, so from then on travelled to away games. Some of my Hibee mates were at Tynie that glorious April day in '65 supporting Killie, but the rest o' us were at the Hibs away match - think it was against St Johnstone. We all met up in town later - what a night that was!!! :thumbsup:

mim
26-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Me too. :wink:

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Forgot about that one, was actually my first visit to Tynecastle, sat in the Centre Stand and don't think I saw any other Arsenal fans. Can't remember the score but think Hearts had an unlikely win.

BenjiOscar
26-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Was it Sniff?:dizzy:

It was pre-Sniff time!

Bostonhibby
26-02-2010, 10:41 PM
My uncle Hughie who is a big Jambo and otherwise quality man, took me to my first Hibs final in the 6 - 1 drubbing by the unwashed and offered to take me to what would have been my first Yammish experience shortly afterwards, not sure if I actually would have went if it had been left to me, but thankfully my old man and cousin, who was my Hibs mentor at the time ensured that during my vulnerable years it never happened and because of those wise decisions made on my behalf at what now seems a lifetime ago - NO!!!! using the same logic my children have now somehow managed to avoid supporting any teams within a 250 mile radius of where they live but are hibbys who have been to support us without me.

mim
26-02-2010, 10:42 PM
........Oh, I forgot one.

I was at Gordon Smith's debut for Hearts in a reserve game (against Dundee?). A bloody huge crowd made up of about 50/50 Hearts and Hibs supporters.

What a player. :notworthy: