PDA

View Full Version : Question The most expensive match you've attended

iwasthere1972
25-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Interested to know what's the most you've paid to see a match. By this I mean just the football ground admission and not including your first class flights from Bahrain etc and stays in luxurious 5 star hotels. :greengrin

Mine?

£45 for Scotland v Switzerland
at Villa Park. Euro 1996.

duncs
25-02-2010, 12:04 AM
£43 last year for Arsenal vs Burnley in the FA Cup.

Paid £50 off a tout for a ticket to see the Boston Red Sox a few years back, expensive but well worth it!

Sylar
25-02-2010, 12:10 AM
In terms of football? Probably £27 to see Hearts vs Hibs earlier this season at Tynecastle! It cost me a full £10 less to attend Lazio vs Roma at the Olympic Stadium a few years back.

Most expensive event was the Superbowl in 2002 at the Louisiana Superdome to see the Patriots win the Lombardi. Now THAT was costly!

WindyMiller
25-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Scotland v Sweden, Genoa 1990.
We paid £200 for 2 tickets for the wife and I, but lifted the laddies over.
As the man said "bambinos no pay".

Bristolhibby
25-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Just paid £65 for the Wales v Scotland 6 Nations game in Cardiff two weeks ago.

the SSC wanted £80 for the game in Paris in 2007 France v Scotland. Ended up paying £40 a ticket in the French end, so i recon £40 is te most I have paid for a football match.

J

IWasThere2016
25-02-2010, 06:58 AM
I rarely pay :greengrin

Seriosuly, I think I paid £27 for the privilege of the company of Jonty and H18SScottW last season under Mixup. We lost 2-nil as Bamba 'shone' at RB

Steve-O
25-02-2010, 07:14 AM
I paid $125 NZD (about 60 quid) to see All Blacks v South Africa in the Tri-Nations a couple of years ago. It wasn't really worth it!! :bitchy:

scott7_0(Prague)
25-02-2010, 07:25 AM
125quid Czech Rep v USA in the last World Cup.Cheapest out with my 30quid season ticket for Sparta would be the 50p I paid to watch Lithuania V Scotland under21's.

DC_Hibs
25-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Paid well over the odds to see Boca/River and Fenerbahce/Galatasaray but both were worth evey penny.

Regularly pay over €40 for away games in Germany but that includes 10% handling charge by selling club and postage.

I can remember being shocked at paying £16 for Celtic semi at Ibrox that went to a replay (95?)

Barney McGrew
25-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Paid a stupid amount of money for a ticket for the Scotland v England Euro playoffs.

And 160 euros for the Barca v Man Utd Champions League semi final a couple of years ago.

Mikey
25-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Champions League Final at Hampden. Think the tickets were 85 quid.

Worth it just for Zidane's goal.

norhfc
25-02-2010, 07:43 AM
£50 Scotland v Brazil France 98,through travel club.£100 to see Arsenals second last game at Highbury.Never again for epl game,defo no worth it and Henry was injured.:grr:

Geo_1875
25-02-2010, 08:10 AM
£88 Chelsea v Sunderland last season. They had the cheek to charge £3 booking fee at the ticket office.

Joy Zipper
25-02-2010, 08:11 AM
65 Euro for Barca v Seville in April last year.

I also had a ticket with a face value of 299 Euro for the rugby world cup quarter final (Scotland v Argentina) at the Stade de France in 2007. I didn't pay that for the ticket on eBay though. It wasn't even the best seat in the house !

luxjock
25-02-2010, 08:31 AM
£110 Scotland v Brazil France 98. Worth every penny.

Bought a rug from an arab gentleman in the pub the night before and wore it as a kilt the next day but left it at the game. Earned the nickname 'General George' for the rest of the trip.

Brooster
25-02-2010, 08:44 AM
£152 centre stand Scotland v Brazil WC 1998 - that was face value, effing ripoff. Got offered £500 for it 2 days before the game from a dodgy cockney geezer in a Paris pub.

Tinyclothes
25-02-2010, 08:45 AM
£200 to see Liverpool beat Barcelona in the Nou Camp in the Champions League.

Mary Hinge
25-02-2010, 09:10 AM
£75 a ticket for me, wife and son to watch a Barcelona Champions League match in the Nou Camp - and worth every penny for the experience :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Interested to know what's the most you've paid to see a match. By this I mean just the football ground admission and not including your first class flights from Bahrain etc and stays in luxurious 5 star hotels. :greengrin

Mine?

£45 for Scotland v Switzerland
at Villa Park. Euro 1996.

That'd be mine too. Travelled up from London where I was working with a mate. He made the daft suggestion of dressing up as in 2-man horse outfit. What he didn't reckon on was me getting hold of one.

Went to Birmingham New St. and changed on the train. Blummin' commuters didn't bat an eyelid as "Dobbin" cantered up and down the carriages.

Got to main street and bowed cross-legged to traffic and of course a few of the TA couldn't resist a quick ride :grr:

And to answer the obvious question - we took turns at being the rear/front.

Memorable occasion, great weather, great atmosphere great goal. Pity we didn't make it through in the end. Only blemish was the trashing of the (Shakespeares Head?) pub.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2010, 09:35 AM
SKOL Cup Final V Dunfermline - PRICELESS

[didn't write on the biggest football regret - son had just been born so under strict orders from the wife and sogra (mother-in-law) stayed in Emrba :violin:]

mim
25-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Most expensive match for me was, I think, Hibs v. Airdrie at ER.

..........the house was burgled while I was at the game. :wink:

Delboy4
25-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Athletico Madid v Real Madrid
Me and my girlfriend went to the match - It cost me £230 each ticket. :grr:

It was worth every penny though, we were in the Real Madrid end and they scored in the first minute (Raul) then Van Nistelrooy scored not long after.

The Real fans were passing the Sangria round which I got a shot of, they didn't think a Scotsman could drink much out of those leather pouchy things.:wink::faf:

The atmosphere was frightening before the match, fans walking about with bottles of whisky, cointreau, vodka etc...It sounded as bombs were exploding all around us - and the police were just standing watching!

Great memories though...:thumbsup:

Holmesdale Hibs
25-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm paying £54 to go to the Carling Cup final on Sunday. They were the second cheapest as well. Other than that £48 for Arsenal vs Man U.

iwasthere1972
25-02-2010, 01:46 PM
That'd be mine too. Travelled up from London where I was working with a mate. He made the daft suggestion of dressing up as in 2-man horse outfit. What he didn't reckon on was me getting hold of one.

Went to Birmingham New St. and changed on the train. Blummin' commuters didn't bat an eyelid as "Dobbin" cantered up and down the carriages.

Got to main street and bowed cross-legged to traffic and of course a few of the TA couldn't resist a quick ride :grr:

And to answer the obvious question - we took turns at being the rear/front.

Memorable occasion, great weather, great atmosphere great goal. Pity we didn't make it through in the end. Only blemish was the trashing of the (Shakespeares Head?) pub.

:faf: :top marks

God Petrie
25-02-2010, 01:55 PM
For the Scotland vs Italy game in Bari recently I got in free. We each had 50 euros to bribe the bloke checking the tickets but he just waved us through. Was delighted.

zlatan
25-02-2010, 02:09 PM
€96 for Barcelona - Real Madrid last season, worth every penny.

Cheapest I've paid recently would be €13 for Bayern - Dortmund, and I got to stand for the match and enjoy a beer. Lucky Germans.

MichelleHibs
25-02-2010, 02:37 PM
£100 for scotland morocco at st etienne at the world cup in 98...had gone over for the 3wks so it was the last game and we had to get a ticket otherwise it would have been a wasted trip!

Hibee-Rocker
25-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Paid 75 each for me and the wife for the ricky hatton fight at the man city ground..shocking seats behind the goals.. Never again

30 quid to watch hibs at tynicastle a couple season's ago.. Is prob most i have paid for football...

The wife bought us tickets to watch Barca at the Camp Nou...
Didnt tell me the price tho, as for my birthday

silverhibee
25-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I rarely pay :greengrin

Seriosuly, I think I paid £27 for the privilege of the company of Jonty and H18SScottW last season under Mixup. We lost 2-nil as Bamba 'shone' at RB

Yep, Comps are a good thing.:thumbsup:

TRC
25-02-2010, 03:37 PM
IFK Gotheborg V A.I.K in Sweden cost me 1250 KR which woks out about £100 for two of us,

jdships
25-02-2010, 04:01 PM
This season I was quoted £65 for the West Upper at Chelsea (only seats available ) which I declined :thumbsup:

Billy
25-02-2010, 04:25 PM
£50 Chelsea v Luton 1994 FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Was in the top tier next to the old scoreboard.

Austinho
26-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Paid a friend of a friend of a friend £70 to borrow their season ticket to see Arsenal v Celtic in the Champions League at the Emirates this season — the one where Eduardo dived.

Seat was in the club deck, and cost the guy over 2 grand a season!

Seats were great, and hate to say it, but the Celtic fans were absolutely phenomenal all game, so it was definitely worth it. Just a shame Eduardo ruined the games as a contest early on. Still nice to see Celtic get humped though :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
26-02-2010, 01:00 AM
240 Euro for 2 tickets for AC v Inter, the match that Dida got hit with fireworks.

Hermit Crab
26-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Dearest game Celtic v Arsenal in champs league playoff last year Got a ticket for the Arsenal end from a boy at work. Cost £46 and Celtic added a £6.50 booking fee PER Ticket the robbing barstewards but worth it to them scuttling away with 20min to go and 0-2 down :greengrin

Cheapest has to Dinaburg v Hibs in intertoto cup in 2007 i think. Ticket cost 1 Lat 50 which was roughly 80 pence or there abouts. Booze was even cheaper and worth it. A rare Amadu Konte double in that game aswell as we went on to win 0-3 on the day 8-0 on aggregate IIRC. :greengrin:greengrin

twiceinathens
26-02-2010, 07:46 AM
In terms of overall costs the double attempt to see AEK in athens

HH81
26-02-2010, 08:05 AM
£35 to watch Burnley at West Ham this season the 5-3 game. Think Fletcher scored 2 :thumbsup:

I have been to a few finals in my time and dont remember paying more than that.

KWJ
26-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Can't mind how much the Livi and Killie finals were. Think I paid 35 pound for Man U v Sunderland a couple years ago. Awful game.

IWasThere2016
27-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Yep, Comps are a good thing.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer - I'll have two for the Hibs end on 15 May :wink: :greengrin

bringbackjoeT!!
27-02-2010, 09:36 PM
For the Scotland vs Italy game in Bari recently I got in free. We each had 50 euros to bribe the bloke checking the tickets but he just waved us through. Was delighted.

me and a mate were both marched into the scotland end of that game for free by the italian polis, I even had a full bottle of whisky in my packpack! we were about to head back to town to watch the game in a pub as we could buy a ticket anywhere- legend:thumbsup:

nonshinyfinish
27-02-2010, 09:40 PM
£46 for Celtc vs. Barcelona (Barca end) in the CL.

son of haggart
27-02-2010, 09:44 PM
£280 for me and the wife to get in to Scotland Costa Rica in Italy World Cup

Paid about £120 for Scotland Norway ticket in France too - had the other two from the Travel Club

My Costa Rica experience was a real nightmare. Went to Italy to revvoer with my (now ex) non-football loving wife after the death of our child . Was meant to be a holiday away from everything in Venice (200 miles from the scotland games) but the hotel we stayed in was mobbed with guys from my old school (Portobello) -from Niddrie mostly, and very hard guys one of whom I had had some issues with at school

That turned out not too bad after plenty of drink (they were ordering individual bottles of red wine like pints :bitchy:)

However my ex thought it would take my mind off things to see a scotland game so I chose the one we would definitely win and we paid a small fortune to train it over there - misse d the first 15 minutes trying to get a ticket and ended up paying over the odds to watch the only crap game of the campaign then run for the train back, about £500 the poorer

:boo hoo:

FranckSuzy
27-02-2010, 09:52 PM
£280 for me and the wife to get in to Scotland Costa Rica in Italy World Cup

Paid about £120 for Scotland Norway ticket in France too - had the other two from the Travel Club

My Costa Rica experience was a real nightmare. Went to Italy to revvoer with my (now ex) non-football loving wife after the death of our child . Was meant to be a holiday away from everything in Venice (200 miles from the scotland games) but the hotel we stayed in was mobbed with guys from my old school (Portobello) -from Niddrie mostly, and very hard guys one of whom I had had some issues with at school

That turned out not too bad after plenty of drink (they were ordering individual bottles of red wine like pints :bitchy:)

However my ex thought it would take my mind off things to see a scotland game so I chose the one we would definitely win and we paid a small fortune to train it over there - misse d the first 15 minutes trying to get a ticket and ended up paying over the odds to watch the only crap game of the campaign then run for the train back, about £500 the poorer

:boo hoo:

That's terrible :bitchy: What a horrible experience after your sad loss :boo hoo: Onwards and upwards, eh? :wink:

sKipper
27-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Real Madrid v Villarreal last weekend. 120 Euros :boo hoo:

An Leargaidh
27-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Most expensive match, just for the admission ticket:

FC Barcelona vs Hibernian FC

Murrayfield, 2008

If memory serves me correctly the ticket was £35

Still it was worth the money to see Barcelona :greengrin

son of haggart
27-02-2010, 10:21 PM
That's terrible :bitchy: What a horrible experience after your sad loss :boo hoo: Onwards and upwards, eh? :wink:

Yeah - the worst of times but much happier now

I had to laugh at one thing though. The seats we had were in a really expensive part of the stadium (the £140 was face value in 1998 from some norwegians who had the whole package)

The stadium was one which they worked right up to the last minute to finish.

Thegane was really terrible and I was on my feet most of the time gripping the stanchion (metal barrier) in front of the seat and shouting the usual deperate incoherent instructions 9"get intae them, c'mon scotland ffs etc etc)

At half time i turned tomy wife and went to release my hands from the pole to find I was stuck to it as the paint hadn't fully dried. it was touch and go as to whether the skin would come off my hands, which would have really rounded off my 'holiday' experience'

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Interested to know what's the most you've paid to see a match. By this I mean just the football ground admission and not including your first class flights from Bahrain etc and stays in luxurious 5 star hotels. :greengrin Mine? £45 for Scotland v Switzerland at Villa Park. Euro 1996. Thats mine too! as stated elsewhere Daugavpils was the cheapest.