mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &
mcnammara. hope this carries on , no complaints about commitee choices, apart from perhaps jackie mcnamarra. dont doubt he was a superb player for hibs & a great servant, just think there were better options to be chosen, only my opinion though.:notworthy:

Hanny
24-02-2010, 07:59 PM
heard today that the first inductees of this will be honered at a function
on the 20/3/10. first 10 to be honoured
whelehan
mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &
mcnammara. hope this carries on , no complaints about commitee choices, apart from perhaps jackie mcnamarra. dont doubt he was a superb player for hibs & a great servant, just think there were better options to be chosen, only my opinion though.:notworthy:

I'm assuming it's this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McGhee

Interesting last bit about his son.

andudare2
24-02-2010, 08:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McGhee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McGhee)

as far as i know mate, that is the guy!. will be one who will be represented by surviving family members, think the idea of this is a good 1, pity its took so long!:notworthy:

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 08:09 PM
whelehan
mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &

I would expect see both Eric Shaedler and Arthur Duncan to be honoured at a later stage.

Hanny
24-02-2010, 08:11 PM
as far as i know mate, that is the guy!. will be one who will be represented by surviving family members, think the idea of this is a good 1, pity its took so long!:notworthy:

I think so as well.

Maybe the initial induction of 10 players to get the ball rolling then have an annual induction of 2 or 3 players voted for by the fans?

Hainan Hibs
24-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Hopefully a place for Brian Kerr at a later stage as a result of his vast amount of unseen work.:agree:

SouthMoroccoStu
24-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Any word if it'll be a dinner and award function?

Would buy tickets to attend that :thumbsup:

andudare2
24-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Any word if it'll be a dinner and award function?

Would buy tickets to attend that :thumbsup:supposed to be something on these lines at the corn exchange, dont have any ticket info though . sorry:notworthy:

--------
24-02-2010, 09:14 PM
whelehan
mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &

Probably they were looking for someone from a generation later than the Turnbull era.

FWIW, Jackie Mac WAS a tremendous player for us, and unlike certain others I could think of he went through a long period of treatment and recovery for a bad knee problem and showed his gratitude by sticking with us through some very difficult years.

AND managed to overcome the label of "the man who replaced Pat Stanton".

Still a Hibby and a great guy.

Kevvy1875
24-02-2010, 09:35 PM
What about 'Darling' Willie Groves? Or are we only post war era?

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 09:39 PM
O'Rourke should be in the next batch too :agree:

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 09:41 PM
James McGhee was a wonderful servant to the Hibs of the late 1880's and scored loads of goals including FIVE in one match against Hearts on 16 May 1887. Game at Tynie finished Hearts 1 Hibs 7

I'm pretty sure LHWM will be able to identify McGhee's record and reproduce it on here :agree:

Billy McKirdy
24-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Probably they were looking for someone from a generation later than the Turnbull era.

FWIW, Jackie Mac WAS a tremendous player for us, and unlike certain others I could think of he went through a long period of treatment and recovery for a bad knee problem and showed his gratitude by sticking with us through some very difficult years.

AND managed to overcome the label of "the man who replaced Pat Stanton".

Still a Hibby and a great guy.

:top marks

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I am sure that the first few selections will have a few stick ons and a few surprises. If all the "Greats" get inducted in the first round or two, then there ain't much point in having lists.

Once you induct the early players who kicked off the club successfully, add in the Famous 5 and the Tornadoes, you can't keep finding 10 or so "Greats" every year.

I would keep the inductees to no more than 5 per year and spread the honours, otherwise we will end up with Benny Brazil, Amadou Konte and Brian Kerr in the frame in 2015.

Another suggestion is we have a guest inductee each year, for example Albert Kidd, Agent Vlad and Big Nade for services rendered. :greengrin

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure LHWM will be able to identify McGhee's record and reproduce it on here :agree:

I'm sure...he'll also break out when the last time Hibs built a stand, played St Johnstone and when his own team were due a win and 9 points behind us and what happened next........he's either the most annoying stato nerd on the planet or the most useful stato nerd on the planet depending on WHEN he pops up with his stats...:greengrin

Facts are facts but it wouldn't be fair for us to mention, EVERY year, a certain incident with a Mr A Kidd nor would it be fair for us to mention, EVERY January, a certain seven goal defeat to the yams NOR would it be fair for us to mention, every October, a certain six two slapping when they ironically sneared as they led for the only time in the game.....

Actually, he's maybe no that bad the felly :thumbsup:

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I am sure that the first few selections will have a few stick ons and a few surprises. If all the "Greats" get inducted in the first round or two, then there ain't much point in having lists.

Once you induct the early players who kicked off the club successfully, add in the Famous 5 and the Tornadoes, you can't keep finding 10 or so "Greats" every year.

I would keep the inductees to no more than 5 per year and spread the honours, otherwise we will end up with Benny Brazil, Amadou Konte and Brian Kerr in the frame in 2015.

Another suggestion is we have a guest inductee each year, for example Albert Kidd, Agent Vlad and Big Nade for services rendered. :greengrin

We could have a fans vote and ask whom (Within the last 10 years) has given you the biggest moment of joy following Hibs. I wouldn't care to mention wee Ivan's hattrick at Ibrox for the pure, unbridled joy it gave me, the fact he cost us £5000 or the fact he said his blood was green even though he used to follow follow rangers.....Id buy that for a dollar :thumbsup:

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 09:55 PM
We could have a fans vote and ask whom (Within the last 10 years) has given you the biggest moment of joy following Hibs. I wouldn't care to mention wee Ivan's hattrick at Ibrox for the pure, unbridled joy it gave me, the fact he cost us £5000 or the fact he said his blood was green even though he used to follow follow rangers.....Id buy that for a dollar :thumbsup:

I think there is scope for induction in a few categories. The trouble with these things at a club level, as opposed to a national level, is that there are only so many "greats" to honour. Look at Hertz, they tried this and are now scrabbling to find anyone else to induct. FFS they were sticking Elvis in there early on and now they hate him. No, to work fairly you need categories and not too many inductees every year.

For example you could have a category of best goalscorer against the OF category and add to the collection each year, or even "Outstanding Contribution to Gubbing the Yams" and alternate it every few years (3 times in a row to the Tornadoes and 1 time to the 6-2 team) that works too!!! :thumbsup:

I am more than happy to serve on the committee!!!

.Sean.
24-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I'd only have one inductee per year. One place per year for a true legend who through years of hard work for the club finally merits a place in the Hall of Fame.

Am I being daft here, but does this mean we need to build a hall of some sort in the main stand or something with portraits of the players? :confused:

Aye, I am being serious :greengrin

Removed
24-02-2010, 10:07 PM
whelehan
mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McGhee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McGhee)

Aye don't worry, it's not carl :greengrin

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd only have one inductee per year. One place per year for a true legend who through years of hard work for the club finally merits a place in the Hall of Fame.

Am I being daft here, but does this mean we need to build a hall of some sort in the main stand or something with portraits of the players? :confused:

Aye, I am being serious :greengrin

Naw you are being daft!!! :cool2:

PC Stamp
24-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Aye don't worry, it's not carl :greengrin

But he'd be well in with a shout for most dedicated fan eh? :wink:

mim
24-02-2010, 10:30 PM
whelehan
mcgee
smith
johnstone
reilly
turnbull
ormond
baker
stanton &

Good start.

I trust that likes of the following will be inducted in the years to come:

Bobby Combe
Tommy Younger
Johnny McLeod
Bobby Kinloch
Neil Martin
Willie Hamilton
Ronnie Simpson
Ally McLeod
Erich Schaedler
John Brownlie
John Blackley
Alex Edwards
Jim O'Rourke
Alan Gordon
Alex Cropley
Arthur Duncan
Alan Rough
Jim Leighton
Andy Goram
Franck Sauzee
Russel Latapy

....and probably a good few more from years gone by that I apologise for missing.

Then we can move on to Riordan, Brown, Fletcher etc. (I wonder how many of the golden generation actually stayed with Hibs long enough to have a chance of making it into a Hall of Fame?)

cabbageandribs1875
24-02-2010, 10:46 PM
James McGhee was a wonderful servant to the Hibs of the late 1880's and scored loads of goals including FIVE in one match against Hearts on 16 May 1887. Game at Tynie finished Hearts 1 Hibs 7

even back then we couldnt keep a clean sheet :bitchy: sloppy defending :greengrin

hibbybrian
25-02-2010, 03:37 AM

The game was played at Powderhall :wink: and Hibs were 6-0 (and a goal disallowed for offside) up at halftime then 7-0 up early in the second half. Shortly after this Hearts scored and one of their forwards went off injured and the ten men held the score at 7-1 to the end of the match. :grr: :devil:

KWJ
25-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Since I've been watching Hibs the only guy I can think of that HAS to be included is Keith Wright.

Behind him and at a decent distance woudl be

Gordon Hunter
Mickey Weir
Darren Jackson
Russell Latapy
Franck Sauzee
John Hughes
Ian Murray
Scott Brown
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Connor

Nakedmanoncrack
25-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Since I've been watching Hibs the only guy I can think of that HAS to be included is Keith Wright.

Gordon Hunter
Mickey Weir
Darren Jackson
Russell Latapy
Franck Sauzee
John Hughes
Ian Murray
Scott Brown
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Connor

From just before your time, John Collins is certainly worthy of inclusion.

hibbybrian
25-02-2010, 09:25 AM
There's a big gap from 1890 to the 1940's :grr: I would have thought they could at least have squeezed in

Bobby Artherton - League and Scottish Cup winning Captain :thumbsup:

and either

Jimmy Dunn - Wembley Wizard, 269 league games/91 league goals for Hibs and 2 consecutive Scottish Cup Finals. English 2nd and 1st Division Championships in consecutive seasons and scorer in a winning EFA Cup. :thumbsup:

or Jimmy McColl - 4th highest league scorer with 130 goals and was the trainer to the famous 5 :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
25-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Gordon Hunter
Mickey Weir
Darren Jackson
Russell Latapy
Franck Sauzee
John Hughes
Ian Murray
Scott Brown
Derek Riordan
Garry O'Connor

Id swap Brown for Pat McGinlay

Captain Trips
25-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Hopefully a place for Brian Kerr at a later stage as a result of his vast amount of unseen work.:agree:

He is on it, you just cant see him :wink:

Cocaine&Caviar
25-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Will Derek Riordan now be referred to as a future Hall of Famer?

Jonnyboy
25-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Will Derek Riordan now be referred to as a future Hall of Famer?

Only if the hall isn't a licensed premises :greengrin

KWJ
25-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Id swap Brown for Pat McGinlay

Yup Pat should be in there. Would still have Broonie on a shortlist though.

Gary Smith too perhaps.

Speedway
25-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Only if the hall isn't a licensed premises :greengrin

:greengrin