PDA

View Full Version : Respecting a minute silence

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 08:41 PM
A former rangers player has died and Rangers are having a minute silence on sunday as it's the next game after the death, this is the norm, celtic fans are now saying we are deliberately having it on this game to show them up (how they can be shown up if they stay silent I don't know), If a hearts/hibs player was to pass away and a silence was held at the derby game would it be observed by both sets of fans.

How anyone can not stay silent for 60 secs as a mark of respect for the passing of a fellow human being is beyond me.

woody47
24-02-2010, 08:44 PM
A former rangers player has died and Rangers are having a minute silence on sunday as it's the next game after the death, this is the norm, celtic fans are now saying we are deliberately having it on this game to show them up (how they can be shown up if they stay silent I don't know), If a hearts/hibs player was to pass away and a silence was held at the derby game would it be observed by both sets of fans.

How anyone can not stay silent for 60 secs as a mark of respect for the passing of a fellow human being is beyond me.

Why a minute silence? No one does that for players now. Applause is what is the norm these days.

However, when the pope died I seem to recall ????????

Lofarl
24-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Who was the player?

And yes it is disrepectful....Wallace Mercer aside.

H18sry
24-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Would your fan[nies] respect it at darkheid? I suspect not :yawn:

Phil D. Rolls
24-02-2010, 08:45 PM
A minute's applause is better. Celtic have a cheek playing this card anyway, they insisted on a minute's silence for the pope. :stirrer:

(Your on your own kid). :devil::offski:

Sir David Gray
24-02-2010, 08:47 PM

I would highly doubt it to be honest.

I think the majority of the fans on both sides would show some basic decency and observe the silence but unfortunately you always get the idiots within every support who are not interested in being decent human beings for 60 seconds and think that because they are at a football match, they can behave in any way they like.

Removed
24-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Why a minute silence? No one does that for players now. Applause is what is the norm these days.

If it's death at old age after a good life then applause and celebrate the life but if the player dies young or tragically then applause is not appropriate and should be a silence imo.

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Yes they do, there was a minute's silence at the last Derby at Tynie IIRC. Can't remember who the player was though. And Hibs fan were very good that day in showing their respects.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Booing - I blame Big Brother mentality masel:wink:

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Not only did the huns not manage 1 minutes silence for the Pope's demise, we had yer Chairman singing, laughing and cracking jokes aboot it, caught on video anaw.

When it comes to celtic AND rangers yer both as bad as eachother, neither of you respect, like or even manage to be civil to eachother (maybe not you all but DEFO not a minority) and the fact you have to ask whether us lot and the yams COULD do it, beggars belief.

There's a few in both our supports who wouldnt support it. But, far less than you lot and for all I dislike hearts and the worst yams, our rivalary with them is nothing like the pure venomous religious inspired hatred celtic and rangers have for eachother over what is, fitba.

So aye, I think we could do it. Probably why we still have the odd (when ESPN and SKY areny arsed) kick off at 3pm and celtic and rangers are forced to play a lot of there's before 12.30 on a Sunday to keep them oot the pub, stop folk hacking up Glasgow and indeed, to save Strathclyde polis blasting their whole budget in 90 minutes.

ENDOF

FranckSuzy
24-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you seriously claiming that if the situation was reversed then some Rangers fan's wouldn't ruin things?

Of course it is out-of-order to disrupt a minute's silence so why not have a round of applause instead?

Seriously, do you need to run everything by us? Sounds like we are all your therapist on .net :greengrin

Fantic
24-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes they do, there was a minute's silence at the last Derby at Tynie IIRC. Can't remember who the player was though. And Hibs fan were very good that day in showing their respects.

Think that was for rememberance day.

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Minute applause is a joke, it's not the norm, this was because some couldn't say quiet, what happened when the pope died? This may seem a bit controversial and don't want to go off topic but if one was for him we would need to do one for every head person of every religion would we not, this is a former player we are talking about, it's the norm to show respect, and we show it in silence.

hibee_girl

That was for remembrance day

Sir David Gray
I prefer a minute's silence to an applause, I just think it's more appropriate and poignant.

I can see the reasoning behind an applause but it's just a personal opinion.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 08:53 PM
They arrange these silences on derby day knowing full well what will happen. Yet more mindgames, even more delicious controversy for the papers on monday, and plenty for the hundreds of 'fans' on either side of the divide to froth ridiculously about (just as well really, because the football itself in these matches has been dull as ditchwater this season).

Removed
24-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Minute applause is a joke, it's not the norm, this was because some couldn't say quiet, what happened when the pope died? This may seem a bit controversial and don't want to go off topic but if one was for him we would need to do one for every head person of every religion would we not, this is a former player we are talking about, it's the norm to show respect, and we show it in silence.

For once I agree with you BITC

Sir David Gray
24-02-2010, 08:54 PM
That was for remembrance day

Last year there was a minute's silence before a derby at TC and it was definitely for an ex-Hearts player. :agree:

I can't remember his name but he didn't play for Hearts very long and I remember people on here at the time were accusing Hearts of just holding the silence to try and make Hibs look bad if some of our fans spoiled it.

EDIT-Player's name was George Miller and here's an article relating to both clubs apologising for their fans' behaviour in that game.

http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/Capital-clubs-unite-in-condemnation.4846224.jp

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Are you seriously claiming that if the situation was reversed then some Rangers fan's wouldn't ruin things?

Of course it is out-of-order to disrupt a minute's silence so why not have a round of applause instead?

Seriously, do you need to run everything by us? Sounds like we are all your therapist on .net :greengrin

We as a club had the most remembering for phil o'donnel 3 games im sure it was and no one had a problem, Im not saying some daft drunk idiots would not disrupt, but on the celtic sites they are claiming we are doing it to show them up, we didn't set a date for the death and we always have the silence the next game.

Removed
24-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Last year there was a minute's silence before a derby at TC and it was definitely for an ex-Hearts player. :agree:

I can't remember his name but he didn't play for Hearts very long and I remember people on here at the time were accusing Hearts of just holding the silence to try and make Hibs look bad if some of our fans spoiled it.

:agree: They were at it IMO. None of the Yams I knew had heard of him either and I'm not talking about young laddies.

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 08:59 PM

If you don't mind me asking who was the former Rangers player?

A minute's silence at a Derby match (particularly the old firm) is probably asking for trouble and I cannot see the Celtic fans showing any respect. They disrespected a minute's silence earlier on in the season at Falkirk and I would expect more of the same at the weekend.

Totally agree that fans should be able to put everything aside and show their respect for what is after all only 60 seconds.

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry, it was for Remembrance Day on 7 November 2009. But as FalkirkHibee said, there was another one not long before that for an ex-player.

Sir David Gray
24-02-2010, 09:07 PM
If their away fans refuse to respect a minute's silence for Remembrance Sunday, I'm afraid to say that there's not a chance in Hell of them respecting a minute's silence that marks the death of a former Rangers player.

The Rangers fans would be exactly the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Sad but true.

Fantic
24-02-2010, 09:10 PM

EDIT-Player's name was George Miller and here's an article relating to both clubs apologising for their fans' behaviour in that game.

[/URL][url]http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/Capital-clubs-unite-in-condemnation.4846224.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/Capital-clubs-unite-in-condemnation.4846224.jp)

As if they wouldn't have sang the Sheils song anyway. Was that not the same game they had a pop at Petrie and Hibs in their 'official' match program.

Removed
24-02-2010, 09:12 PM
If you don't mind me asking who was the former Rangers player?

Was a goalie from their late 60's/early 70's squad, Gerhardt Neef

Surely when the Tims hear he was called 'Gerry' they'll be quiet :dunno:

Alex Trager
24-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Who was the player?

And yes it is disrepectful....Wallace Mercer aside.

correct me if i'm wrong but was this^ a player, i dont think so, he was sub human

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Was a goalie from their late 60's/early 70's squad, Gerhardt Neef

Surely when the Tims hear he was called 'Gerry' they'll be quiet :dunno:

Cheers. The name sounds vaguely familiar.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Oh for pity's sake. At any OF game how many of them will be -

Alcoholics?
Drug addicts?
Addicted to both alcohol and drugs?
Sufferring from a depressive illness and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Sufferring from a mood disorder and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Sufferring from a psychotic illness and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Psychopaths?
Lunatics?
Bigots?

And you want all the Celtic fans to be silent for a minute?

Personally I think you'd struggle to keep all your Hun mates quiet, it's not like they'll all know what the score is.

hibbymark
24-02-2010, 09:34 PM

I agree with you but every team has there fair share of morons that cant keep silent.

Celtic the serial mourners would have a minutes silence if their cactus died and i cant remember the pope playing for them either!

Iggy Pope
24-02-2010, 09:44 PM

If I recall right we had a minutes applause for the great George Best at ER when we had the pleasure of entertaining you bags o ******....

You lot can't respect each other in the street why expect it when one of either of your legions snuffs it?

A lifetimes silence is what we need from the lot of you.

...WentToMowAnSPL
24-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh for pity's sake. At any OF game how many of them will be -

Alcoholics?
Drug addicts?
Addicted to both alcohol and drugs?
Sufferring from a depressive illness and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Sufferring from a mood disorder and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Sufferring from a psychotic illness and self medicating on alcohol and/or drugs?
Psychopaths?
Lunatics?
Bigots?

This is a pretty good stab at 100% including the stewards and police :devil:

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 09:46 PM
This is a pretty good stab at 100% including the coaching staff, stewards and police :devil:

:wink:

son of haggart
24-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Think that was for rememberance day.

You're right, and credit for that, but I think (perhaps I am being naive) that both sets of fans would observe a minutes silence for a respected older generation player - eg one of the terrible trio/ famous five

Might be more problematic if the player was more recent / had a bit of a provocative reputation, but i think we shoudl trust fans more.

I think the minutes silence works less well the more the cause is dissociated from football - so death of a royal, religiuous leader, statesman etc would be less likely to be observed by an ignorant minority

Leicester Fan
24-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I hope you'll be having a minutes silence at your next home game for Bobby Smith

hibbymark
24-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope you'll be having a minutes silence at your next home game for Bobby Smith

I hope we are. It will be a particularly sad moment for me. My grandad was the scout who took Bobby to hibs for his trial. Are you having one at Leicester?

woody47
24-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Not really meaning to sound heartless but how many games would a player need to play for a team, or how many cups won, goals scored, etc would deem it correct to have a minutes silence.
From what I can see this guy played 48 games for the bigottedones. Hardly a legend. Would love to know just how many of the blue persuasion would actually know his name.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2010, 10:14 PM
You're right, and credit for that, but I think (perhaps I am being naive) that both sets of fans would observe a minutes silence for a respected older generation player - eg one of the terrible trio/ famous five

Might be more problematic if the player was more recent / had a bit of a provocative reputation, but i think we shoudl trust fans more.

I think the minutes silence works less well the more the cause is dissociated from football - so death of a royal, religiuous leader, statesman etc would be less likely to be observed by an ignorant minority

There is your problem, they both have an ignorant majority.

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Cheers. The name sounds vaguely familiar.

His daughter (Melanie Neef) was an international 400m runner ~10 years ago.

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
His daughter (Melanie Neef) was an international 400m runner ~10 years ago.

For GB but I do remember her dad. :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
24-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I find it amazing that Rangers are having a minutes silence tbh.

Of course silences should be observed and respected but i really cant see it happening at an Old Firm game. Surely common sense should prevail and have a minutes applause where atleast some of the noise (if any) would be covered by the clapping, with a silence being more appropriate in a less hating atmosphere.

All that will happen on sunday/monday is Martin Bain moaning about the lack of respect being shown in a cheap point scoring dig and Celtic replying that it was merely "the minority" in return.

Bishop Hibee
24-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Not really meaning to sound heartless but how many games would a player need to play for a team, or how many cups won, goals scored, etc would deem it correct to have a minutes silence.
From what I can see this guy played 48 games for the bigottedones. Hardly a legend. Would love to know just how many of the blue persuasion would actually know his name.

Should every club have a minutes silence for any former player? We'd have one every other week! It should be a case by case basis but I've certainly never heard of the guy. I can't see us having one for Zibby or Maka and they played plenty games for us.

Gerhardt Neef? How many bluenoses under 40 would have heard of him? Definitely a case for a minutes applause if huns feel his death is such an important loss to the Rangers family that it should be marked.

I look forward to the minutes silence at Darkheid and Ipox when Maurice Johnston dies :wink:

As for non-football related figures, no silences or applause for popes, queens, etc please.

son of haggart
24-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Should every club have a minutes silence for any former player? We'd have one every other week! It should be a case by case basis but I've certainly never heard of the guy. I can't see us having one for Zibby or Maka and they played plenty games for us.

Gerhardt Neef? How many bluenoses under 40 would have heard of him? Definitely a case for a minutes applause if huns feel his death is such an important loss to the Rangers family that it should be marked.

I look forward to the minutes silence at Darkheid and Ipox when Maurice Johnston dies :wink:

As for non-football related figures, no silences or applause for popes, queens, etc please.

agree with everything you say - should be reserved for players or officials who have made a significant contribution to the home club, in my opinion, and should almost always be a silence at the next home game. Only occasions when there is some significant reason to think there would be potential disruption - eg if Neil Simpson died, and the next Aberdeen home game was against rangers , then just delay the silence til the next home game after.

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I find it amazing that Rangers are having a minutes silence tbh.

Of course silences should be observed and respected but i really cant see it happening at an Old Firm game. Surely common sense should prevail and have a minutes applause where atleast some of the noise (if any) would be covered by the clapping, with a silence being more appropriate in a less hating atmosphere.

All that will happen on sunday/monday is Martin Bain moaning about the lack of respect being shown in a cheap point scoring dig and Celtic replying that it was merely "the minority" in return.

Rangers always have a silence unless requested by the family, it the correct way to remember someone and pay respect imo.

The silence has been the way to remember the dead in Britain for god knows how long, until some decided they would not do it, I have never stood and clapped like a seal for anyone's death and never will, bowed head and stay silent is the way I will always do it.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 10:34 PM
agree with everything you say - should be reserved for players or officials who have made a significant contribution to the home club, in my opinion, and should almost always be a silence at the next home game. Only occasions when there is some significant reason to think there would be potential disruption - eg if Neil Simpson died, and the next Aberdeen home game was against rangers , then just delay the silence til the next home game after.

Neil Simspon and the afforementioned Mo Johnston could arguably receive a round of applause for services in football namely, for pissing off the huns big time :cool2:

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Anyone who knows our history, he has a cup winners cup medal which was won whilst in our squad.

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Neil Simspon and the afforementioned Mo Johnston could arguably receive a round of applause for services in football namely, for pissing off the huns big time :cool2:

Great player for us, was welcomed back by us to play in a charity match against celtic, he was to play one half for them and one for us, he couldn't come back as one set of fans gave threats if he was to play.

--------
24-02-2010, 10:39 PM
For GB but I do remember her dad. :agree:

For Scotland, too, in the Commonwealth games, IIRC.

I remember Gerry Neef - decent goalie and a decent man. Sorry to hear of his death - too many of the guys I watched as a young man dropping off the twig lately.

And I agree with BITC - applause always feels silly to me as a tribute to the dead. A silence is what's appropriate, and it should be properly observed by everyone.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 10:42 PM
And I agree with BITC - applause always feels silly to me as a tribute to the dead. A silence is what's appropriate, and it should be properly observed by everyone.

I agree with this entirely.

The issue I have is, we have (and others have) used applause BECAUSE of such ********s like celtic, rangers and hearts who seem to be unable to observe silence properly.

The irony of a rangers fan bleating on about how bad celtic are whilst his own club institutionally rips the pish out of the opposition and a good chunk of Scotland's population, is what is pissing me off here.

If rangers had a case to argue, I'd agree. FWIW, I think the boy SHOULD be remembered properly but the point is, both celtic AND rangers dont have the capacity to do it.

The biggest shame here is, as Scotlands most well known clubs (unfortunately) THEY smear the lot of us in their biggoted heap of sheite...

Gitts.

cwilliamson85
24-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Another thread that needs to be deleted. I am sick of seeing threads about other teams on Hibs.net. This is a hibs forum and shoul be all bout hibs IMO.

If a Celtic player had died you lot (Rangers) would make all the noise posible to show your respect so who cares about this!!!

Hibs Class
24-02-2010, 10:49 PM

The club website announced a minute's applause this Saturday for Alan Gordon, and I think i read in the paper earlier that it would now be applause for both Alan and Bobby. I would also prefer it to be silence.

Frazerbob
24-02-2010, 10:52 PM
If I recall right we had a minutes applause for the great George Best at ER when we had the pleasure of entertaining you bags o ******....

You lot can't respect each other in the street why expect it when one of either of your legions snuffs it?

A lifetimes silence is what we need from the lot of you.

IIRC that was billed as a minutes silence but spontaniously turned into a minutes applause. A very apropriate it was too IMO.

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Another thread that needs to be deleted. I am sick of seeing threads about other teams on Hibs.net. This is a hibs forum and shoul be all bout hibs IMO.

If a Celtic player had died you lot (Rangers) would make all the noise posible to show your respect so who cares about this!!!

The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general. :agree:

--------
24-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree with this entirely.

The issue I have is, we have (and others have) used applause BECAUSE of such ********s like celtic, rangers and hearts who seem to be unable to observe silence properly.

The irony of a rangers fan bleating on about how bad celtic are whilst his own club institutionally rips the pish out of the opposition and a good chunk of Scotland's population, is what is pissing me off here.

If rangers had a case to argue, I'd agree. FWIW, I think the boy SHOULD be remembered properly but the point is, both celtic AND rangers dont have the capacity to do it.

The biggest shame here is, as Scotlands most well known clubs (unfortunately) THEY smear the lot of us in their biggoted heap of sheite...

Gitts.

As you say, BM. Neither Rangers nor Celtic have anything like a decent record of respecting one another's deceased players. they don't respect one another, and they don't respect the rest of the SPL or the SFL. They disrespect us so much that they can't wait to bail out of the SPL to join some sort of North European or Atlantic league.

And the sectarian nonsense they perpetrate gets taken up by wannabes supporting other teams (like the morons at Tynie, for example) and taints us all. How often have YOU had someone jump to the conclusion that because Hibs play in green and white, they, and you, must therefore be the same sort of plastic replica Paddy as those who populate the upper tiers of Parkhead?

Maybe if the Celtic fans can find it somewhere in their shrivelled, misshapen, misbegotten souls to behave themselves on Sunday, then the Rangers fans will be inspired to likewise honour the next Celtic player to pop his clogs.

But I'm not holding my breath, and I daresay you won't be either.

And BTW - that thug John Hughes that played for Stein doesnae count. You know why.

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 10:57 PM

I refer back to Phil o'D we were the next team to play celtic yet they wanted the game to be called off, why should it have been called off ( I won't go in to reasons) Rangers were happy to have the minute silence, yet a few months later a man who will be remembered as a celtic legend imo passed away and they played a couple of days later, I don't want to go off topic but there must be reasons why a guy who plays about 80 games so many years before and they are to upset to play yet a man who gave his life to celtic still with the club and they are not to upset to play, if you look back at the form of them when P o'D died and who was suspended then look at the form they were on and who wasn't suspended it may tell you something.

blueisthecolour
24-02-2010, 11:01 PM
As you say, BM. Neither Rangers nor Celtic have anything like a decent record of respecting one another's deceased players. they don't respect one another, and they don't respect the rest of the SPL or the SFL. They disrespect us so much that they can't wait to bail out of the SPL to join some sort of North European or Atlantic league.

And the sectarian nonsense they perpetrate gets taken up by wannabes supporting other teams (like the morons at Tynie, for example) and taints us all. How often have YOU had someone jump to the conclusion that because Hibs play in green and white, they, and you, must therefore be the same sort of plastic replica Paddy as those who populate the upper tiers of Parkhead?

Maybe if the Celtic fans can find it somewhere in their shrivelled, misshapen, misbegotten souls to behave themselves on Sunday, then the Rangers fans will be inspired to likewise honour the next Celtic player to pop his clogs.

But I'm not holding my breath, and I daresay you won't be either.

And BTW - that thug John Hughes that played for Stein doesnae count. You know why.

I actually think the ground will be silent on sunday, lets just hope the people who are on fan sites who are saying it's a disgrace are not the same fans with tickets.

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I refer back to Phil o'D we were the next team to play celtic yet they wanted the game to be called off, why should it have been called off ( I won't go in to reasons) Rangers were happy to have the minute silence, yet a few months later a man who will be remembered as a celtic legend imo passed away and they played a couple of days later, I don't want to go off topic but there must be reasons why a guy who plays about 80 games so many years before and they are to upset to play yet a man who gave his life to celtic still with the club and they are not to upset to play, if you look back at the form of them when P o'D died and who was suspended then look at the form they were on and who wasn't suspended it may tell you something.

:wtf:

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 11:30 PM
:wtf:

BITC is making a fair point there. Celtic decided they wanted to postpone their next game after Phil O'Donnell died (which just happened to be an OF game that McGeady would have been suspended for) and were granted that wish; meanwhile Dundee Utd, whose players who had seen O'Donnell collapse and die at first hand, were forced to play their game. O'Donnell, although a former Celtic player, was hardly a great for them and had left on a free transfer nearly 10 years previously

Yet, later in the season, Celtic didn't see any problem in playing an OF game days after Tommy Burns (a far more significant figure in Celtic's history) died.

:hmmm:

The amount of nonsense that these applauses, silences and even postponements are causing is completely unnecessary. The SPL / SFA really should set down some sort of standard policy (or at least guidance) for this. There's definitely an element of clubs using it for a perceived advantage, most blatantly in the case of Celtic postponing that OF game. This sort of nonsense doesn't really happen in English football; I think it is another facet of the small village situation of Scottish football, where any opportunity to gain a narrow advantage (either in PR or on the field) is seized upon. This is most particularly true in the Rangers / Celtic scenario, which is as close to a zero sum game as there is in football (ie if one doesn't win a trophy, the other one usually does).

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 11:33 PM
He is making a fair point there. Celtic decided they wanted to postpone their next game after Phil O'Donnell died (which just happened to be an OF game that McGeady would have been suspended for) and were granted that wish; meanwhile Dundee Utd, whose players who had seen O'Donnell collapse and die at first hand, were forced to play their game. O'Donnell, although a former Celtic player, was hardly a great for them and had left on a free transfer nearly 10 years previously

Yet, later in the season, Celtic didn't see any problem in playing an OF game days after Tommy Burns (a far more significant figure in Celtic's history) died.

:confused:

Cheers PTS. Just didn't understand what he was on about.
Although he does sound like he's being a bit Celtc board (everyone's out to get us) about it.

--------
24-02-2010, 11:36 PM
He is making a fair point there. Celtic decided they wanted to postpone their next game after Phil O'Donnell died (which just happened to be an OF game that McGeady would have been suspended for) and were granted that wish; meanwhile Dundee Utd, whose players who had seen O'Donnell collapse and die at first hand, were forced to play their game. O'Donnell, although a former Celtic player, was hardly a great for them and had left on a free transfer nearly 10 years previously

Be fair, PTS - grief can take you all sorts of different ways.

Like when Wally Smirker died. I went quite hysterical - couldn't stop laughing for days. :rolleyes:

Am I bad? :devil:

But BITC has a fair point there - there's something particularly sleekit about Celtic in the way they manipulate events and the media for their own ends.

And I'm NOT taking sides. Just saying.

Bishop Hibee
24-02-2010, 11:38 PM

All this "Celtc did this" and "Rankers did that" between OF fans reminds me of playground squabbles and telling tales to teacher. Total joke :yawn:

It makes me hope they all boo each other like **** during it and drag themselves further into their natural home, the gutter.

--------
24-02-2010, 11:39 PM
All this "Celtc did this" and "Rankers did that" between OF fans reminds me of playground squabbles and telling tales to teacher. Total joke :yawn:

It makes me hope they all boo each other like **** during it and drag themselves further into their natural home, the gutter.

We've been known to get involved in that sort of things with the Yams ourselves, your Eminence. :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 11:42 PM

That's what I've gone on to get at in the next paragraph, it is the situation of Scottish football that these two in particular look for any narrow advantage, even something as pathetically low as gaining a PR or field advantage from a death. Since we're not going to get rid of them anytime soon, action should be taken to reduce the areas of contention.

Gerard
24-02-2010, 11:59 PM

In the ideal World there would be silence......:wink::thumbsup:
G

hibee_nation
25-02-2010, 12:33 AM

It tells me you should hop along to follow follow for yer hand wringing, who cares about your club or fans, you deserve each other, your craving for acceptance is giving me the boak.

1875godsgift
25-02-2010, 02:34 AM

How many "Head Honchos" of religon are there? Not very many, I don't think, and the only one I'd imagine you respecting is Ian Paisley. I, for one, will gladly applaud for at least a minute when he finally exits this mortal coil.

Green_one
25-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Do not really want to be drawn into a debate with a Rangers fan but here goes

I prefer the minutes silnece too. Its a sad reflection that the happy clapping needs to be done.

That said, the George Best clapping and chanting was very emotional

As for Phil o'D. The difference there was surely that the guy had died on a football pitch. Something you cannot compare to some old player popping his socks.

Against Celtic I would organise clapping. I am annoyed that we are not observing silence for Alan and Bobby on saturday. The St Johnstone fans will be 100%, so are we worried about our own?

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 08:32 AM

I don't think the SFA/SPL gave you lot the chance to boo the Pope? IIRC you played at Motherwell or St Mirren on the day he died and it was claimed it was too short notice to organise a minutes silence! Then the week after when everyone else was doing it you weren't playing (maybe already out the Scottish Cup? - I think it was us Dundee United, Celtic and Hearts in the semi). The Hearts fans done a tribute on your lots behalf though.

As FB said - it wasn't an "organised" applause.

As for Phil o'D. The difference there was surely that the guy had died on a football pitch. Something you cannot compare to some old player popping his socks.

He died on a pitch but not while playing for Celtic. Burns was on the coaching staff at Celtic when he died. IMO I think Celtic played the SFA/SPL.

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Unlike yourself, i generally don't start threads on here. I come on when I feel Celtic fans are getting hard done by, I certainly don't start threads to bleat about huns.

However, I would like to pint out that Celtic fans respected 3, minute silences for Jim Baxter and I'm sure we'll mange one for a guy who played 33 games in 5 years, 40 years ago.

hibbymark
25-02-2010, 08:48 AM
The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general. :agree:

To be fair to blueisthecolour there are nearly as many people have viewed his thread as we have season ticket holders in the east . Some folk clearly are interested in his opinions.

Beefster
25-02-2010, 08:58 AM

As usual, there's a lot of hypocrisy on this issue. As odious as the Dodgers are, when the Forces of Darkness can stay quiet for every single silence, I'll take their bleating about others seriously. It's like Rangers fans crying about police brutality abroad or Celtic fans singing offensive songs.

I agree with you but every team has there fair share of morons that cant keep silent.

Celtic the serial mourners would have a minutes silence if their cactus died and i cant remember the pope playing for them either!

Pope JPII didn't play football for any team but most clubs managed to observe a silence IIRC. Yams excepted obviously.

lapsedhibee
25-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't think the SFA/SPL gave you lot the chance to boo the Pope? IIRC you played at Motherwell or St Mirren on the day he died and it was claimed it was too short notice to organise a minutes silence!
Is that for real? If so, :faf:

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Unlike yourself, i generally don't start threads on here. I come on when I feel Celtic fans are getting hard done by, I certainly don't start threads to bleat about huns.

However, I would like to pint out that Celtic fans respected 3, minute silences for Jim Baxter and I'm sure we'll mange one for a guy who played 33 games in 5 years, 40 years ago.

I hate you lot, just as much as the huns, in fact its getting to be more. WTF has it got to do with how many games he played, or how long ago it was? The huns sing songs about things that happened hundreds of years ago, and your lot are the same. Gerr Neef as we used to call him played for the huns, if they want a minutes silence, its only good manners to observe it, whether you are playing the huns or Hamilton.

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I hate you lot, just as much as the huns, in fact its getting to be more. WTF has it got to do with how many games he played, or how long ago it was? The huns sing songs about things that happened hundreds of years ago, and your lot are the same. Gerr Neef as we used to call him played for the huns, if they want a minutes silence, its only good manners to observe it, whether you are playing the huns or Hamilton.

Eh i agree, my point is that Celtic fans observe minute's silences for footballers who have passed away.

BTW As for things happening hundereds of year ago, the most distant thing we sing about happened 94 years ago, 14 years more recent since Hibs' last Scottish Cup win. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Eh i agree, my point is that Celtic fans observe minute's silences for footballers who have passed away.

BTW As for things happening hundereds of year ago, the most distant thing we sing about happened 94 years ago, 14 years more recent since Hibs' last Scottish Cup win. :greengrin

We all know thats not going to happen on sunday, and i forget who it was, but your fans organised boycott outside at falkirk, to disrupt that minutes silence was abhorrent.

And again you deflect the point to something else, you Jack are an arse.

hibbybrian
25-02-2010, 09:56 AM

TFoA - circa 1850 - about 37 years before our first Scottish Cup win :wink:

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 09:56 AM
And again you deflect the point to something else, you Jack are an arse.

No I never.

Also, no need ofr personal insults, you really do come across as a very angry man.

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 09:57 AM
TFoA - circa 1850 :wink:

Touche!

But that would not have allwoed me the dig about yer Scottish Cup record!!

hibbybrian
25-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Touche!

Edited my post to show how you could have mentioned our Scottish Cup record :greengrin

ArabHibee
25-02-2010, 10:00 AM

TFoA - circa 1850 - about 37 years before our first Scottish Cup win :wink:

:agree: EXACTLY! Short memory Jack?

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 10:01 AM
No I never.

Also, no need ofr personal insults, you really do come across as a very angry man.
You make me angry, in fact you make me puke with your slimy patronising posts.

lapsedhibee
25-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Ultimately, huns are worse than Celtc fans, or Celtc fans are worse than huns, or you're both as bad as each other.

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Touche!

Exactly, you lie so your point is more valid, how many times you done that Jack? :bitchy:

col02
25-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultimately, huns are worse than Celtc fans, or Celtc fans are worse than huns, or you're both as bad as each other.

Celtic fans are definately worse in my experience. Arrogant and patronising fannies the majority of them!

Holmesdale Hibs
25-02-2010, 10:59 AM

:agree: An open admission that their supporters are savages.

too many minutes silences' at football IMO but yeah, if we have them they should be respected. I prefer a minutes applause though.

Wallace Mercer is the exception to this as I don't think a football fan should have to show respect for someone who tried to destroy their team. It would be like having a minutes silence for Margret Thatcher in the coal mines.

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 11:22 AM
:agree: An open admission that their supporters are savages.

too many minutes silences' at football IMO but yeah, if we have them they should be respected. I prefer a minutes applause though.

Wallace Mercer is the exception to this as I don't think a football fan should have to show respect for someone who tried to destroy their team. It would be like having a minutes silence for Margret Thatcher in the coal mines.

:faf::faf::faf:

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 11:26 AM

i've been down that road on here. My point in my OP is two fold.

1.) Celtic fans observed 3 seperate minute silences for Jim Baxter - No problem. He was well worthy of it and Celtic fans observed a minutes silence for Davie Cooper, who again was fully deserving off this. If Gerry Neef is to have one then fine, I don't imagine it being an issue

2.) I fail to understand why a hun feels the need to come on here and start posts to have a dig at Celtic (he's doen thsi a few times), its not what I woudl do, as I don't think its appropritate. Where i do comment, is when Celtic is brought up by Hibs fans and I feel, mitigation, facts etc need to be expressed.

Jack now awaits angry response from Blackpool Hibs. :greengrin

I'd be angry if I lived in Blackpool as well mate.

Expecting Rain
25-02-2010, 11:34 AM
If you want to respect a minutes silence ( which the majority do) then do so. if you don`t embarrass yourself and let it be on your conscience.

hibbymac
25-02-2010, 11:38 AM
No doubt there will be a secret meeting with the SFA ( which celtc will let everyone know about), to discuss the merits of having a minutes silence. :bitchy:

Bad Martini
25-02-2010, 12:27 PM

1.) Celtic fans observed 3 seperate minute silences for Jim Baxter - No problem. He was well worthy of it and Celtic fans observed a minutes silence for Davie Cooper, who again was fully deserving off this. If Gerry Neef is to have one then fine, I don't imagine it being an issue

2.) I fail to understand why a hun feels the need to come on here and start posts to have a dig at Celtic (he's doen thsi a few times), its not what I woudl do, as I don't think its appropritate. Where i do comment, is when Celtic is brought up by Hibs fans and I feel, mitigation, facts etc need to be expressed.

Jack now awaits angry response from Blackpool Hibs. :greengrin

I'd be angry if I lived in Blackpool as well mate.

To be fair, you do take it well and indeed, at times, sometimes, when you don't try to be, can be quite amusing and I suppose, you dont come on here to prattle on aboot yer players being attacked or minutes silences.

You HAVE been a wideo when your team has won in the past tho! :grr:

Anyway, the point is...celtc and the huns - nae much difference in the minutes silences and even YOU must acknowledge (be it your "away" fans or the huns "minority" as you both claim and which we all know to be pish) that you are BOTH aboot as bad as eachother.

At least admit that you dont like eachother and would toil to hold a minutes silence at an infirm derby.

Meantime, I couldnae gie a ratts ass which of ye is worse though I will say, Im somewhat pissed off with this whole celtic said that aboot us fi the huns...almost as much as am sick of celtc claiming to be picked on :faf: by the bloody SFA....

In fact, the answer is simple. We'll hold 10 minutes applause for ye both.......

When they muppets doon in England accept ye in churches division 3 (with nets) and we see the back of ye's aw forever :thumbsup:

GLORY GLORY first to wear the green...and to do it properly.

STYLE, CLASS, HIBEES YA BASS

ENDOF

lapsedhibee
25-02-2010, 12:32 PM

He does it and you don't. That's because you're a Celtc fan and, therefore, huns are worse than Celtc fans

ChilliEater
25-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I think Jack Regan and Blue is the Colour are the same person.

(wee Sherlock Holmes smiley)

Bad Martini
25-02-2010, 12:49 PM

That would constitute undeniable, first degree insanity and indeed, utter radgeness beyond belief...arguing with one's self, in public, losing time and time again and thinking you are right (when indeed, there can be only one correct stance) and when you occupy both polar opposite positions.

That is actually radge enough to be true.

Aye :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 12:51 PM
That would constitute undeniable, first degree insanity and indeed, utter radgeness beyond belief...arguing with one's self, in public, losing time and time again and thinking you are right (when indeed, there can be only one correct stance) and when you occupy both polar opposite positions.

Didn't we have someone (a hibby) who did exactly that, on here a year or so ago?:confused:

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 12:53 PM
To be fair, you do take it well and indeed, at times, sometimes, when you don't try to be, can be quite amusing and I suppose, you dont come on here to prattle on aboot yer players being attacked or minutes silences.

You HAVE been a wideo when your team has won in the past tho! :grr:

Anyway, the point is...celtc and the huns - nae much difference in the minutes silences and even YOU must acknowledge (be it your "away" fans or the huns "minority" as you both claim and which we all know to be pish) that you are BOTH aboot as bad as eachother.

At least admit that you dont like eachother and would toil to hold a minutes silence at an infirm derby.

Meantime, I couldnae gie a ratts ass which of ye is worse though I will say, Im somewhat pissed off with this whole celtic said that aboot us fi the huns...almost as much as am sick of celtc claiming to be picked on :faf: by the bloody SFA....

In fact, the answer is simple. We'll hold 10 minutes applause for ye both.......

When they muppets doon in England accept ye in churches division 3 (with nets) and we see the back of ye's aw forever :thumbsup:

GLORY GLORY first to wear the green...and to do it properly.

STYLE, CLASS, HIBEES YA BASS

ENDOF

Great post apart fae the bit in bold. I NEVER come on here if we beat Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 01:42 PM

I think BlueistheColur is a Hibby who posts as a Rangers fan to see how much more abuse a Rangers fan would get on here than a Celtic fan would.

New Corrie
25-02-2010, 02:38 PM
As usual, there's a lot of hypocrisy on this issue. As odious as the Dodgers are, when the Forces of Darkness can stay quiet for every single silence, I'll take their bleating about others seriously. It's like Rangers fans crying about police brutality abroad or Celtic fans singing offensive songs.

Pope JPII didn't play football for any team but most clubs managed to observe a silence IIRC. Yams excepted obviously.

And Hibs

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 03:15 PM
And Hibs

Correct. The only game to have a minutes silence for teh Pope was the Celtic v Hearts Semi Final.

BTW I did not agree that he should have one and I'm an RC. They should be for football people only.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Correct. The only game to have a minutes silence for teh Pope was the Celtic v Hearts Semi Final.

BTW I did not agree that he should have one and I'm an RC. They should be for football people only.

There was a silence for our semi against Dundee United the day before as well.

Leith Green
25-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Blah blah blah Rangers , Blah blah blah Celtic , so boring!!

Beefster
25-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Pish. I sat/stood through a silence at Hampden before Hibs played.

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2010, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2367901]Correct. The only game to have a minutes silence for teh Pope was the Celtic v Hearts Semi Final.

QUOTE]

Not so

lyonhibs
25-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Utter slavers.

As usual.

Removed
25-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Wouldn't be the first time on here would it :greengrin

I think BlueistheColur is a Hibby who posts as a Rangers fan to see how much more abuse a Rangers fan would get on here than a Celtic fan would.

:agree: Someone with a real twisted mentality. Are you thinking who I'm thinking :hmmm:

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2367901]Correct. The only game to have a minutes silence for teh Pope was the Celtic v Hearts Semi Final.

QUOTE]

Not so

Seriously? I was always under the impression that it was jsut the Semi Final in scotland that did this?

Like I said, I was not for it, at all.

JackRegan
25-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Utter slavers.

As usual.

Whatever. A genuine mistake on my part.

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2010, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;2367947]

Seriously? I was always under the impression that it was jsut the Semi Final in scotland that did this?

Like I said, I was not for it, at all.

No, just the usual lies to make your point sound better.

hibee_nation
25-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Jack forget trying to stick up for your club in a reasonable manner and just keep us updated on the latest TV listings, you will be welcomed with open arms. :greengrin

hibbymac
25-02-2010, 05:01 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

boomtownhibby
25-02-2010, 05:14 PM

why do you post on this ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?:blah:

Leicester Fan
25-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope we are. It will be a particularly sad moment for me. My grandad was the scout who took Bobby to hibs for his trial. Are you having one at Leicester?

I think we're having one this Saturday.

lyonhibs
25-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Gies peace!! :rolleyes:

Celtc are a pack of thieving, copycat, inbred, bandwagon-riding, paranoid, bleating, self-important, plastic paddies (feel free to replace Celtc with Rangers and paddies with Proddies to get a succinct summary of my feelings on The Huns)

And that's not a genuine mistake on my part.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand, I fail to see why Rangers/Celtic or Hibs/Hearts insist in harking back to events from history to try to prove one is better than the other.

It'll be tit for tat. Some drunken Celtc ***** will probably disrupt the minute's silence on Sunday, and some drunken Rangers ***** will disrupt the next minute's silence Celtc hold (probably for the club cat, or tea lady's mam or somesuch :devil:).

Some drunken Hearts bawbag will disrupt the next minute's silence at the derby that is held in memory of a Hibs player, and some drunken Hibs fan will do likewise if a minute's silence is held im memory of a Hearts player (though - and not that this gives any guarantees or moral high ground- the minute's silence at the last Tynie Derby was impeccably observed by all spectators inside the stadium).

Not morally right or necessarily acceptable, but some folk just can't shut up for 60 seconds.

Sad but true IMO

KeithTheHibby
25-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Why is this even being debated??

Both sets of supporters have the lowest form of s c u m who follow them and take great delight in ruining a minutes silence regardless of who they are.

Let them make their noise on Sunday, the whole of the UK shall be watching...and they wonder why the EPL won't entertain them, perhaps they should look closer to home.

EasterRoad4Ever
25-02-2010, 08:05 PM
They're siamese twins separated at birth and deserve each other. The more they wind each other up the better as far as I'm concerned :greengrin

Stanton
25-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Listen up mate.

Most Green Bigots will keep shtum probs …but a few can always be heard when the rest of the ground is silent.
There are always some ***** in big crowds.

If the roles were reversed the same would happen …..Probably MORE disrespect would emanate from the Blue Bigots in fact.

So coming on here trying to point score in your never ending he said / we said crap …cuts no ice.

You support the most odious team in the country ….and share a city with the second most odious team in the country ( maybe third ..after the Gorgie Pinks ) :greengrin

1875godsgift
25-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Why is this even being debated??

Both sets of supporters have the lowest form of s c u m who follow them and take great delight in ruining a minutes silence regardless of who they are.

Let them make their noise on Sunday, the whole of the UK shall be watching...and they wonder why the EPL won't entertain them, perhaps they should look closer to home.

No, they'll just turn the mics off like they did at the Falkirk-celtc game.
Fair play to the Falkirk fans singing " You're ****, and you know you are!" though!

JackRegan
26-02-2010, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2367965]

No, just the usual lies to make your point sound better.

This forum has a search facility, use and come back with these "lies".

What have I "lied" about on here??

Caversham Green
26-02-2010, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;2367983]

This forum has a search facility, use and come back with these "lies".

What have I "lied" about on here??

Originally posted by Slippery JackRegn
Phil, if I get a well thought out post and I feel the poster has a point, I will generally concede - to be honest I've posted stuff on here that you could drive a bus through, although it does not always get picked up on!! :greengrin

Post #65 on this thread.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2204552#post2204552 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2204552#post2204552)

JackRegan
26-02-2010, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2368664]

Post #65 on this thread.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2204552#post2204552 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2204552#post2204552)

Not lies my friend, merely weak arguments where posters have failed to see the gaps and produce a counter. :wink:

Caversham Green
26-02-2010, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Caversham Green;2368702]

Not lies my friend, merely weak arguments where posters have failed to see the gaps and produce a counter. :wink:

Depends on your definition of lies I suppose. Some of the stuff you post is so "weak" it has to be interpreted as deliberately misleading.

And no, I'm not going to search for examples - I wasted enough time looking for that one.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2010, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Caversham Green;2368702]

Keep digging.:blah:

Beefster
26-02-2010, 11:12 AM

I've never really minded you before but you're coming across as a self-satisfied, pseudo-intellectual bawbag this time.

Well done.

JackRegan
26-02-2010, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2368705]

Keep digging.:blah:

SO, these lies....

One day, just once, in your correspondance with me you will post something not dripping in perma rage and come out with something constructive.

JackRegan
26-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I've never really minded you before but you're coming across as a self-satisfied, pseudo-intellectual bawbag this time.

Well done.

Apologies. But less of the pseudo. :wink::thumbsup:

--------
26-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Well done.

Only now?

I've thought that for a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time.

Admins - why not bin the pair of them for a while? :rolleyes:

An Leargaidh
26-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Regardless of who the minute's silence is for and the level of opposing forces present, e.g. Gers / Celts, Yams / Hibs, prods / tims, Irish Republicans / Brits, regardless of all that, I think it can often be a case of individual rebellion against peer pressure.

Some folk just don't like doing something just because everyone else is doing it. I asked a few people at work about this and they all agreed that showing respect was a nice thing to do but one guy said and I'll quote, "if a player or a Pope or anyone has died I'll show respect in the way I want to, not the way other folk try and make me", and this is exactly what I mean.

I think there must be something in the human genetic code from fight or flight days in stone age times that can re-emerge and make an individual think "no, I will not follow the crowd". Of course there are always folk who are just ignorant too :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be as follows. When someone dies, they should announce, "We will now spend one minute remembering <insert name of deceased>. Please remember them in whatever way you consider appropriate." :agree:

--------
26-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Regardless of who the minute's silence is for and the level of opposing forces present, e.g. Gers / Celts, Yams / Hibs, prods / tims, Irish Republicans / Brits, regardless of all that, I think it can often be a case of individual rebellion against peer pressure.

Some folk just don't like doing something just because everyone else is doing it. I asked a few people at work about this and they all agreed that showing respect was a nice thing to do but one guy said and I'll quote, "if a player or a Pope or anyone has died I'll show respect in the way I want to, not the way other folk try and make me", and this is exactly what I mean.

I think there must be something in the human genetic code from fight or flight days in stone age times that can re-emerge and make an individual think "no, I will not follow the crowd". Of course there are always folk who are just ignorant too :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be as follows. When someone dies, they should announce, "We will now spend one minute remembering <insert name of deceased>. Please remember them in whatever way you consider appropriate." :agree:

I HATE to think what the response would have been if they'd tried that on the Hibs support when Wally Smirker popped his clogs. :devil:

An Leargaidh
26-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I HATE to think what the response would have been if they'd tried that on the Hibs support when Wally Smirker popped his clogs. :devil:

True, true :angelic: but then those individual feelings would be from Hibbies to a dead Yam, rather than just unprovoked ill will from one human to another, and so therefore "appropriate"? :duck:

An Leargaidh
26-02-2010, 12:20 PM
In fact I think that this is the crux of the matter.

Some folk can't let go of the adversarial nature of how they viewed a person when they were alive so if say Ian Black was run over by a road roller between now and 20th March and they asked for a minute's silence at the derby a lot of Hibbies would think, "bollocks to the wee Yam thug" :greengrin

--------
26-02-2010, 12:31 PM
True, true :angelic: but then those individual feelings would be from Hibbies to a dead Yam, rather than just unprovoked ill will from one human to another, and so therefore "appropriate"? :duck:

I always felt they should have erected a sort of enclosure round Wally's grave - to protect it from the elements, you know?

Something like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/pissoir%20paris/tommb42/pissoir.jpg

--------
26-02-2010, 12:34 PM
In fact I think that this is the crux of the matter.

Some folk can't let go of the adversarial nature of how they viewed a person when they were alive so if say Ian Black was run over by a road roller between now and 20th March and they asked for a minute's silence at the derby a lot of Hibbies would think, "bollocks to the wee Yam thug" :greengrin

Well, no.

By that time he'd be a very WIDE, very TALL, very FLAT Yam thug. :devil:

An Leargaidh
26-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I always felt they should have erected a sort of enclosure round Wally's grave - to protect it from the elements, you know?

Something like this.

[/URL][url]http://media.photobucket.com/image/pissoir%20paris/tommb42/pissoir.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/image/pissoir%20paris/tommb42/pissoir.jpg)

RAOFL :faf::faf::faf: superb mate!

Still I bet that smells better than the East Stand toilets... :cool2:

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2010, 01:43 PM

:agree:
I've never heard of him, I doubt many huns have, he only played a handful of games, there's no good reason for a minutes silence.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Someone posted an idea on here last year that I liked. We could have a minutes silence on New Years Derby day for players of both sides that have died in the previous year. By doing that there'd be no petty arguments of whether he was worthy of it, noone getting missed out and not a silence every few weeks.

Give it another 20 years or so (or just enough time to gather some more ex-players) and we could be having a silence most weeks!

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Give it another 20 years or so (or just enough time to gather some more ex-players) and we could be having a silence most weeks!
Unfortunately that's the way it's going.

HibsMax
26-02-2010, 02:04 PM
All I can say is that I would observe it. Even if it was for some BS that was not even related to football. Even if I didn't know the person. Even if I didn't like the person (there are limits - a minute's silence for Saddam Hussein? Nah). In my opinion it takes zero effort to keep your gob shut for 60 seconds, or however long it is, so that those people that DO care can have a moment to reflect. I would keep quiet out of respect for those people. Why? Because I know that if the shoe were on the other foot I would appreciate it if they did the same.

The few, or the many, that feel compelled to disrupt the silence are just making a fool of themselves. Keep your f'ing mouth shut for 60 seconds, it's not that hard and at the end of the day, acknowledging the silence just reflects well on the whole organisation that you're there supporting.

HibsMax
26-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Someone posted an idea on here last year that I liked. We could have a minutes silence on New Years Derby day for players of both sides that have died in the previous year. By doing that there'd be no petty arguments of whether he was worthy of it, noone getting missed out and not a silence every few weeks.

Not a bad idea. Like In Memorium at the Oscars.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Not a bad idea. Like In Memorium at the Oscars.

Thing is when it's a true legend (Reilly, Stanton etc) there would probably be calls to have a special silence/applause as well - especially if they were to go in the early part of the year and we had to wait 11 months or so to do it.

Tinyclothes
26-02-2010, 02:43 PM
RAOFL :faf::faf::faf: superb mate!

Still I bet that smells better than the East Stand toilets... :cool2:

It's not really important but that is Amsterdam, not Paris.

Stanton
26-02-2010, 08:17 PM
When Pope JP11 died Sellik played the Yams at Hampden on the Sunday,

There was a minutes silence ( which became about 27 seconds ) because the Yams and not just a few but very many of them shouted and disrupted it to the point the ref was embarrassed to continue.

It was always a BAD idea to have such a silence in a game involving the Yams or the Huns for that matter.

Same can be said for these type of silences for British Royals …in games involving the Sellik.
The outcome is KNOWN in advance ……many will observe the silence …..but we know many wont.

Football grounds full of drunk hyped up people not respecting silences = Mock outrage by those who want it respected and the press get a story.

--------
26-02-2010, 08:37 PM
It's not really important but that is Amsterdam, not Paris.

Did I say it was Paris?

DID I?

DID I?

DID I??????

:grr:

Dutch, French, whatever, I still think it would be a nice idea. :devil:

:wink:

Brizo
26-02-2010, 08:42 PM

:agree: Its getting to that stage imho.

I cant recall many if any minutes silences or applauses at the fitba during the 70s through to the mid 90s. Societies changed hugely in this regard and we as a nation and by that I mean UK , now seem to feel that public communal demonstrations of mourning are essential. Im not convinced thats a good thing. Downside of this compulsory grieving is that it asks people to pay respect for someone they have no respect for be it a Pope , Royalty , politician etc etc. And where thats the case there will always be an element who will take that opportunity to show their disrespect.

In some ways I think it would be a lot less contentious and a lot more genuine if we backtracked to a few short decades ago where paying your respects was a personal and private matter for each individual.

--------
26-02-2010, 09:00 PM
[/B]

:agree: Its getting to that stage imho.

I cant recall many if any minutes silences or applauses at the fitba during the 70s through to the mid 90s. Societies changed hugely in this regard and we as a nation and by that I mean UK , now seem to feel that public communal demonstrations of mourning are essential. Im not convinced thats a good thing. Downside of this compulsory grieving is that it asks people to pay respect for someone they have no respect for be it a Pope , Royalty , politician etc etc. And where thats the case there will always be an element who will take that opportunity to show their disrespect.

In some ways I think it would be a lot less contentious and a lot more genuine if we backtracked to a few short decades ago where paying your respects was a personal and private matter for each individual.

Absolutely.

Iggy Pope
26-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Best post in this thread BY A MILE.. Who created respect? Football crowds?

LISTEN
You respect this dead man? Show your respect accordingly - silently, joyously, picking your nose or scratching your baws.
Or do NOWT.
You lack respect and want to indicate this?
Do what you like - your choice. All of the above and take a pish if needs be.

We live in a country that has bankrupted iself in illegal war. We cannot trust our fellow man let alone befriend him.

Do we really need the advice of these poisonous ****s or worse still take the moral high ground?

DO ANYTHING YOU WANNA DO *

* (Eddie & The Hot Rods 1977)