PDA

View Full Version : Cork City wound up - lose appeal

An Leargaidh
24-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Thirty four years after Cork Hibernians FC was dissolved, Cork City FC now seem very likely indeed to follow as they have lost an appeal at the High Court in Ireland to overturn a winding up order. See the following link to RTÉ Sports news:

Cork City FC lose appeal at High Court (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0223/corkcity_court.htm)

I wonder how many more football clubs in Britain and Ireland will fall the same way in the next year or so? :confused: Cork City owner says he will take the fight to the Supreme Court pending a rich buyer...

jgl07
24-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Thirty four years after Cork Hibernians FC was dissolved, Cork City FC now seem very likely indeed to follow as they have lost an appeal at the High Court in Ireland to overturn a winding up order. See the following link to RTÉ Sports news:

Cork City FC lose appeal at High Court (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0223/corkcity_court.htm)

I wonder how many more football clubs in Britain and Ireland will fall the same way in the next year or so? :confused: Cork City owner says he will take the fight to the Supreme Court pending a rich buyer...
How many English football league clubs have gone bust in the last fifty years?

Not many. I can think of Accrington Stanley (1966), Maidstone United (1992), and Aldershot (1992). Maybe there are a few more. All the above have re-emerged in a new form.

In Scotland we have Third Lanark and Gretna plus Airdrieonians. Airdrie United emerged to replace the latter having bought out Clydebank. Both Clydebank and Gretna have risen from the dead in a new form.

This have been an issue for years and it has never happened.

Clubs have survived the meltdown of ITV digital and Setanta and most will survive the current difficulties.

monktonharp
24-02-2010, 11:30 AM

I wonder how many more football clubs in Britain and Ireland will fall the same way in the next year or so? :confused: Cork City owner says he will take the fight to the Supreme Court pending a rich buyer...I think the problem with the Irish clubs is mainly that naebody goes to watch them these days. Co Cork is Celtic country,as is Donegal, Finn Harps suffer because of it. Irish fitba' fans want to watch their games on tv,Asenal,'Pool,Man U etc as well as 'tic. Hibs have a small presnce but very small in comparison. c' mon the Harps:wink:

Bohemian_Hibee
24-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I think the problem with the Irish clubs is mainly that naebody goes to watch them these days.

Unfortunately, very true, we're a nation of barstoolers and event-junkies, but that's not solely the reason why they've gone to the wall. In simple terms, clubs are living beyond their means, spending money that isn't coming in, and very few teams are exempt from blame here. For all their faults, the FAI are slowly realising this and are beginning to penalise teams who fail to control their budgets.

Good article on the Cork City situation in todays Irish Independent (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/despite-heartache-for-fans-and-players-the-harsh-reality-is-that-city-got-what-they-deserved-2076368.html?).

mayo hibee
24-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, Cork City were officially wound up yesterday afternoon.

A new club are in the process of being formed by the supporters trust FORAS. The new club has to have a different name and will be called Cork City Foras Co-Operative - so Cork City FC...FC.

An Leargaidh
24-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Good article on the Cork City situation in todays Irish Independent (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/despite-heartache-for-fans-and-players-the-harsh-reality-is-that-city-got-what-they-deserved-2076368.html?).

Thanks for the article link, I actualy read the Irish Independent online edition most days but missed this, luckily catching the RTÉ item.

Do you think that folks who want to see live sports are being more cautious with their euros and also maybe "going native", i.e. enjoying the hurling and Gaelic football instead of soccer?

tony higgins
24-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Cork City,s ground held 8000

Cork GAA ground holds 43000

No brainer.

Aubenas
24-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Sad to hear this; enjoyed our visit in 2005 and had a great holiday in West Cork last summer. Familiar problem I suppose: EPL very popular in Cork, esp Man U, and the GAA sides are so hugely successful that local soccer must always seem a second best.

pogo
24-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Cork City,s ground held 8000

Cork GAA ground holds 43000

No brainer.

You have to remember as well though that Cork City didn't actually own Turners Cross, where they played. This meant that they had to pay rent to Munster Football for the use of the ground, restricting income even more.

The only upside to this is that the new Cork City FC will still be able to play there, and hopefully will quickly return to the top division where they should be, with lessons learned from last few years of overspending and dodgy owners.

Cork City FC (RIP)
Good luck Cork City FC (FORAS CO-OP), est 2010!

Bohemian_Hibee
25-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you think that folks who want to see live sports are being more cautious with their euros and also maybe "going native", i.e. enjoying the hurling and Gaelic football instead of soccer?

Not neccessarily, I think this letter in the same paper sums it up nicely

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/best-supporters-are-football-crazy-2076394.html

AS we approach the climax to the English Premier League, thousands of Irish supporters of English football teams will be anxiously following the progress of their chosen clubs through television and the daily newspapers.

Some might have actually visited their team of choice once or twice this season.

Amid this pseudo support, another Irish football club, Cork City, has regrettably gone to the wall. It never ceases to amaze me how the self-styled "best supporters in the world" never support their own.

The universal response from the Irish when questioned as to why they refuse to support their local Irish football teams is that the standard of football is rubbish. Maybe so. Yet the logical conclusion of such a prevailing attitude if it existed in England would be to scrap every league from the Championship downwards, and for every fan to transfer their allegiance to a Premier League club.

The difference is that the fans of lower league English teams realise that football is about far more than money and instant gratification.

Derek Ross
Blessington, Co Wicklow

Irish Independent

tony higgins
27-02-2010, 06:13 PM
You have to remember as well though that Cork City didn't actually own Turners Cross, where they played. This meant that they had to pay rent to Munster Football for the use of the ground, restricting income even more.

The only upside to this is that the new Cork City FC will still be able to play there, and hopefully will quickly return to the top division where they should be, with lessons learned from last few years of overspending and dodgy owners.

Cork City FC (RIP)
Good luck Cork City FC (FORAS CO-OP), est 2010!

:top marks

Heard at one time the local derby, Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic, was getting crowds of 20000 +.