PDA

View Full Version : How far we've come in 30 years...

Jamesie
23-02-2010, 09:51 PM
YouTube - Easter Road Stadium 1980 - Hibernian FC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSvDvSFpQ8)

Pretty incredible really - and one of the few chances to see the east terracing as it used to be before partial redevelopment.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM
YouTube - Easter Road Stadium 1980 - Hibernian FC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSvDvSFpQ8)

Pretty incredible really - and one of the few chances to see the east terracing as it used to be before partial redevelopment.

Plenty of memories there J

The half time scoreboard :faf:

surreyhibbie
23-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Brings back a few memories mate. But, Jeez, it looks pretty shoddy compared to nowadays!

Removed
23-02-2010, 10:02 PM

Just what I thought as well John. If I remember you had to have a programme to know what letter corresponded with what game.

Great memories.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Just what I thought as well John. If I remember you had to have a programme to know what letter corresponded with what game.

Great memories.

Correct :agree:

down the slope
23-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I remember the old geezer who worked the scoreboard-probably younger than me now, anyway he always put a four or five up for the Hearts score then at the last second turned it over for a zero, old git always wound us up.

RoYO!
23-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Great memories.I remember they used to do that at meadowbank games, always thought it was to try to get you to buy a programme :)

--------
23-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Great memories.

Correct :agree:

Were you guys there the Saturday Partick won the League Cup?

Remember how we used to take those wee trannies (transistors radios, that is) to the games? I was in the Main Stand Enclosure that afternoon, and there was only one guy near me with one. Half-time, he switches on, claps it to his ear, then lets out a yell. "What's up?" we ask. "Partick are beating Celtic," he says. "What's the score?" we ask. "Four-nil to Thistle," he says.

The poor guy was nearly lynched, because we all thought he was at the wind-up, and IIRC the lad doing the half-time scoreboard put up EVERY OTHER SCORE (including Hibs Reserves) before the League Cup Final score. And then of course everybody went pure mental.

And the next year, WE won that Cup.

ballengeich
24-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Were you guys there the Saturday Partick won the League Cup?

Remember how we used to take those wee trannies (transistors radios, that is) to the games? I was in the Main Stand Enclosure that afternoon, and there was only one guy near me with one. Half-time, he switches on, claps it to his ear, then lets out a yell. "What's up?" we ask. "Partick are beating Celtic," he says. "What's the score?" we ask. "Four-nil to Thistle," he says.

The poor guy was nearly lynched, because we all thought he was at the wind-up, and IIRC the lad doing the half-time scoreboard put up EVERY OTHER SCORE (including Hibs Reserves) before the League Cup Final score. And then of course everybody went pure mental.

And the next year, WE won that Cup.

If my memory is correct, we beat Falkirk 6-0 that day, with Arthur Duncan, signed from Partick Thistle, scoring 4 - the same number as his former team put past Celtic. I thought there was some significance in this, but I don't know why.

poolman
24-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Ah, happy days

I mind sitting on the wall at the east terracing with my feet dangling on the path and having to put them back over the wall every time a copper came by :greengrin

They wouldny let you have your feet on that side when you were a nipper in case you trampled on one o' them poor police's plate's o meat :tee hee:

I remember one of the game's was against Hamilton and we won 11-0 or 11-1 maybe's another one of our "mature" Netters can remember that game as well.

The bus shelter IIRC still wasn't built either and the size of the east terracing to somebody of my age was just awesome

Fab days :thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
24-02-2010, 02:31 AM

Great memories.

A random example of how this worked, for the younger members (http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1972-73/pages/1973010107%20Hibernian%200-7%20Tynecastle.htm) :wink:

O'Rourke3
24-02-2010, 08:38 AM
A random example of how this worked, for the younger members (http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1972-73/pages/1973010107%20Hibernian%200-7%20Tynecastle.htm) :wink:

Wondering why the example was of a Hearts programme till I got to the bottom, ya beauty :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
24-02-2010, 09:10 AM

I like the sense of humour behind the Clydebank v East Stirlingshire derby match.

Bit strange though that the OF weren't playing each other.

:confused:

Caversham Green
24-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Tin hat on here, but I never really liked the East after they took the top off and - err - put the top on. The ground just never seemed the same after that.

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2010, 09:36 AM
I like the sense of humour behind the Clydebank v East Stirlinghshire derby match.

Bit strange though that the OF weren't playing each other.

:confused:

At that time, the OF rarely played each other on New year's Day. IIRC, it was the next again game, often the 3rd, that they played. Rangers normally played Thistle, and Celtic Clyde if they were in the same Division.

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 12:28 PM
If my memory is correct, we beat Falkirk 6-0 that day, with Arthur Duncan, signed from Partick Thistle, scoring 4 - the same number as his former team put past Celtic. I thought there was some significance in this, but I don't know why.

:agree: Bertie Auld and Johnny Hamilton got the others

That Thistle win was fantastic and worth watching again :greengrin

YouTube - partick thistle v celtic '71 league cup final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKp2KkAHKw)

Alan62
24-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I remember the old geezer who worked the scoreboard-probably younger than me now, anyway he always put a four or five up for the Hearts score then at the last second turned it over for a zero, old git always wound us up.

Pretty sure that old geezer will still be older than you! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
24-02-2010, 02:18 PM
It's hard to miss that stadium. Cold, windy, atmosphereless (?). But look at the size of that terracing, massive.