PDA

View Full Version : East stand - "the best crowd"! Official!

Hexham Hibee
23-02-2010, 07:03 PM
In Gary Sutherland's book Hunting Grounds he votes Easter Road the best crowd where he watched the Hibs v Yams League Cup game (the 81% game) in November 2006. ...."Rob Jones scores. The East Stand ignites - and turns into a moshpit. Leaping supporters spill forward.... This is absolute madness. There is much jumping, kissing, shouting, screamimg, falling and bedlam. Eventually after about an hour of this, the scene calms down again..... There is no denying the rush of adrenaline though. It is basically the sense of being ****-scared."

Just sums up the East Stand at its best!

GGTTH

Sean1875
23-02-2010, 07:09 PM
ahh ill miss it :boo hoo:

El Gubbz
23-02-2010, 07:14 PM
It was lucky he went to that match then.

wee 162
23-02-2010, 07:17 PM
In Gary Sutherland's book Hunting Grounds he votes Easter Road the best crowd where he watched the Hibs v Yams League Cup game (the 81% game) in November 2006. ...."Rob Jones scores. The East Stand ignites - and turns into a moshpit. Leaping supporters spill forward.... This is absolute madness. There is much jumping, kissing, shouting, screamimg, falling and bedlam. Eventually after about an hour of this, the scene calms down again..... There is no denying the rush of adrenaline though. It is basically the sense of being ****-scared."

GGTTH

Very funny description in that book of finding his seat at that game. Boy really didn't get the "Naw, you stand on the one in front of your seat" thing :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
23-02-2010, 09:20 PM

:bitchy:

Alfred E Newman
23-02-2010, 09:30 PM

GGTTH

He should have been on the East terracing when Willie Hamilton scored in the last minute to knock Rangers out the cup in 1965 in front of 47000.

capitals_finest
23-02-2010, 09:31 PM

yeh and even luckier he chose the east stand to experience it all...

Kevvy1875
23-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I remember that night well:agree:

How it was only 1-0 I will never know. Yams at work totaly agreed they were completely outplayed that night.

The constant barrage of 'Vladimir Romanov, he sucks Paul Hartley off' was relentless for most of the match. Hartley had the most innefectual performance I ever seen him play in a maroon shirt V Hibs.

The east was as bouncy as it has ever been that night for sure!:greengrin

bigstu
23-02-2010, 10:39 PM
i hope the east stand bounce returns when the new stand opens, it looks amazing watching the current east stand bounce! Hail hail

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Happy to say I was right in the middle of that bedlam that night :thumbsup:

Here's my very own poor quality video to prove it!

YouTube - Hibs v Hearts 08/11/06 - Always believe in Rob Jones! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUxAqP71Jc)

Judas Iscariot
24-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Bolt ya yam goon :jamboak:

JoeT
24-02-2010, 08:57 AM
One decent bounce in a Derby win years ago.....hardly makes it "the best crowd"! Official! in the world :devil:

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I have never understood the "myth", that because you sit in the East, that you are some sort of Diehard nutcase...... There are plenty of these types in the other stands also.....

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I have never understood the "myth", that because you sit in the East, that you are some sort of Diehard nutcase...... There are plenty of these types in the other stands also.....

You don't consider the East Stand to be in general more grass roots?

The inhabitants of the East have put love of football ahead of their own comfort for many years. Only now with the promise of 'proper' seats and improved facilities do supporters from other stands consider it a viable alternative. What does that say about their priorities?

For me, the East feels less inhibited too. I've sat in the other stands, and while I certainly don't consider myself a 'diehard nutcase' by any means, I did feel as though if I stood up, or sang, or shouted something obscene, that I would be somehow imposing upon the people around me. In the East, that sort of thing is more acceptable. People like to push the boundaries a bit there.

So I think what you are simply picking up on is that when folk sit in the East, they may not be a 'diehard nutcase' per se, but they at least feel free to act like one, if only for a moment.

Whether any of this changes with the new build, remains to be seen. I hope not.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 12:57 PM

The inhabitants of the East have put love of football ahead of their own comfort for many years. Only now with the promise of 'proper' seats and improved facilities do supporters from other stands consider it a viable alternative. What does that say about their priorities?

For me, the East feels less inhibited too. I've sat in the other stands, and while I certainly don't consider myself a 'diehard nutcase' by any means, I did feel as though if I stood up, or sang, or shouted something obscene, that I would be somehow imposing upon the people around me. In the East, that sort of thing is more acceptable. People like to push the boundaries a bit there.

So I think what you are simply picking up on is that when folk sit in the East, they may not be a 'diehard nutcase' per se, but they at least feel free to act like one, if only for a moment.

Indeed, of an afternoon, I've seen folk remove toaps, swing them roond their heids like an alleycat and roar the most amusing ditties towards the travelling opposition for banterous purposes...all alleged of course :greengrin

Stone radge and much brawness.

The gress ay the hallowed turf looks a shade greener fi the East...:thumbsup:

Removed
24-02-2010, 12:59 PM

:faf:

What a load of pish, imo. Love of football :confused: are they watching a different game or something.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 01:01 PM

What a load of pish, imo. Love of football :confused: are they watching a different game or something.

the east is tae fitba what the screamin Gixxer is tae the world of motorcycling my man....radge as a box of frogs, totally over the top when revvd like fek and most of the joy with it comes from breaking rules....:wink:

Removed
24-02-2010, 01:08 PM
the east is tae fitba what the screamin Gixxer is tae the world of motorcycling my man....radge as a box of frogs, totally over the top when revvd like fek and most of the joy with it comes from breaking rules....:wink:

:greengrin Ah at last, words I understand :cool2:You're right and using that analogy the FF must be like a Honda Deauville :agree:

Anyone want to swap their seat in the east for some hospitality on Saturday :wink:

Moulin Yarns
24-02-2010, 01:09 PM

GGTTH

says the man with a seat in the back row of the west upper :greengrin

MacBean
24-02-2010, 01:16 PM
has to be said i miss my days in the east terracing. I had a ST with my mates in there, but this year got one with my dad who hasn't got the greatest eyes at the best of times so we now sit in the west for the view. I miss the atmosphere but im glad i had the chance to experience it unlike the young uns coming through

Wembley67
24-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Not sure why people think the ET is some place where superhibbies go...tbh I find quite a few of the inhabitants to be creatures of the extremely skeemie nature who only go there causes 'its cool'.

Broken Gnome
24-02-2010, 01:25 PM

I must hate football sitting in the west, I have no pillars in my way so I can actually see the whole game, and I don't spend half my time cajoling those around me into introducing new and witty singsongs :greengrin

You would honestly reckon by the last few days on here that every song that's started in the East is a signal for some sort of 3,000 strong conga line that not a single person doesn't participate in.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 01:27 PM

haha pish, how?

What I was trying to say is that in the current East, there's the football, the atmosphere... and that's pretty much it. When you purchase your ticket, you're not thinking "I want football, but I also require... a comfy seat... decent view... good scran... nice toilets... etc etc". In that sense, it's more grass roots.

Do you get me now?

Removed
24-02-2010, 01:52 PM
haha pish, how?

What I was trying to say is that in the current East, there's the football, the atmosphere... and that's pretty much it. When you purchase your ticket, you're not thinking "I want football, but I also require... a comfy seat... decent view... good scran... nice toilets... etc etc". In that sense, it's more grass roots.

Do you get me now?

I get your grass roots bits, dont agree with it though. The bit I said was pish was...

What I think you are inferring here is Easties put love of football before facilities wheras Westies and FF'ers prioritise facilities over love of football. If so, then I'll say it again load of pish. But if that's what you want to believe to maintain the myth then I'll never change your mind will I.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I get your grass roots bits, dont agree with it though. The bit I said was pish was...

What I think you are inferring here is Easties put love of football before facilities wheras Westies and FF'ers prioritise facilities over love of football. If so, then I'll say it again load of pish. But if that's what you want to believe to maintain the myth then I'll never change your mind will I.

Well if you do want to change my mind, then I think you'll have to do more than simply label my view as 'pish'. :dunno:

How do you explain all the FF and Westies who are suddenly coming out of the woodwork and saying they fancy a seat in the East, now that the facilities are being improved? If the facilities are irrelevant to them, why wouldn't they go there before?

Removed
24-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Well if you do want to change my mind, then I think you'll have to do more than simply label my view as 'pish'. :dunno:

How do you explain all the FF and Westies who are suddenly coming out of the woodwork and saying they fancy a seat in the East, now that the facilities are being improved? If the facilities are irrelevant to them, why wouldn't they go there before?

How are they coming out of the woodwork, they are part of the current support and can sit where they want now and in the future. Maybe they have got kids and are trying to encourage the next generation of Hibbys and the East isn't suitable for kids, or they are disabled or have someone in their group that can't physically get into the East but they all want to sit together. If they wan't to move to the new East then so what, what's the big deal. I'm sure there will be enough room for everyone that wants to sit there, and if it's full, then great, the atmosphere will be even better.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 02:27 PM
:greengrin Ah at last, words I understand :cool2:You're right and using that analogy the FF must be like a Honda Deauville :agree:

Anyone want to swap their seat in the east for some hospitality on Saturday :wink:

The Deauville is the Bobby Williamson of the biking world - "If ye want entertainment...." :greengrin

Ye ken the drill mate :wink: - a boring auld shafty but, of course, nothing a greasy chain, a power commander and a full remap with Yoshi GP can wouldn't solve of course :thumbsup:

GGTTH

LancashireHibby
24-02-2010, 04:23 PM
How are they coming out of the woodwork, they are part of the current support and can sit where they want now and in the future. Maybe they have got kids and are trying to encourage the next generation of Hibbys and the East isn't suitable for kids, or they are disabled or have someone in their group that can't physically get into the East but they all want to sit together. If they wan't to move to the new East then so what, what's the big deal. I'm sure there will be enough room for everyone that wants to sit there, and if it's full, then great, the atmosphere will be even better.
I'm another one who sits elsewhere but will be sitting in the new East Stand - only went in the East once and that was for the Irvine Meadow game; different experience to my usual sort of spot in the West, but I don't fancy travelling for hours either way and not being able to see huge chunks of the pitch.

TornadoHibby
24-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Wait till the sun is in their face at matches and ask them how much they are enjoying having switched then!! :wink: :cool2: :greengrin

therealgavmac
24-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Yes, B, we know!!! :wink:

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Wait till the sun is in their face at matches and ask them how much they are enjoying having switched then!! :wink: :cool2: :greengrin

haha this is true. :greengrin