PDA

View Full Version : Special commerative issue of "The Hibernian" - issues?

Jamesie
23-02-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/east-terrace-seats-for-sale_2262950_1974901

"As well as all the usual features and news, this special edition of the Matchday magazine will also contain the name of every Season Ticket Member of the current East Terrace, as recognition of their support of the Club and the unique atmosphere they create in the East."

I hope the club have taken good data protection advice on this one as I have a gut feeling they could be on a sticky wicket in printing that list...

Frazerbob
23-02-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/east-terrace-seats-for-sale_2262950_1974901

"As well as all the usual features and news, this special edition of the Matchday magazine will also contain the name of every Season Ticket Member of the current East Terrace, as recognition of their support of the Club and the unique atmosphere they create in the East."

I hope the club have taken good data protection advice on this one as I have a gut feeling they could be on a sticky wicket in printing that list...

Get a grip!

By the way, already being discussed on the East Seats for Sale thread!

PS. Can you buy me a copy of the programme please.

jgl07
23-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Clydebank used to publish every season ticket holders' name in their programme when Hibs played them at Boghead in the 1990s.

It didn't occupy much space!

Jamesie
23-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Clydebank used to publish every season ticket holders' name in their programme when Hibs played them at Boghead in the 1990s.

They could well have had consent from the supporters for that though? Can't remember being asked for consent for my name to be used in this way when buying my season ticket, but maybe I was...

Not criticising the club over this, personally I think it is a nice idea, just don't want to see them get into bother over it by some Jambo making a complaint to the Information Commissioner, for example.

Frazerbob
23-02-2010, 05:06 PM
They could well have had consent from the supporters for that though? Can't remember being asked for consent for my name to be used in this way when buying my season ticket, but maybe I was...

Not criticising the club over this, personally I think it is a nice idea, just don't want to see them get into bother over it by some Jambo making a complaint to the Information Commissioner, for example.

Spot the lawyer. :wink:

lyonhibs
23-02-2010, 05:06 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/east-terrace-seats-for-sale_2262950_1974901 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/east-terrace-seats-for-sale_2262950_1974901)

As long as that include half-season tickets, I'll be happy :greengrin

Great idea though.

Gatecrasher
23-02-2010, 05:15 PM
or alaves when they put the name of every season ticket holder on their home shirt :thumbsup:

Nameless
23-02-2010, 05:16 PM

There would be no grounds for a complaint, as you would need more identifiable information than just the name.

greenlex
23-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Great idea though.
Half season ticket holders are only getting there Christian names printed. :agree:

Mikey
23-02-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/celebrating-the-east-terrace_2262950_1975100

Hibby D
23-02-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100223/celebrating-the-east-terrace_2262950_1975100

A fairly quick u-turn? Could it be that the club would have been walking on thin ice if they had gone ahead and printed the names? :dunno:

TheEastTerrace
23-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Having some experience in this area, I did think the club were jumping the gun slightly. They need the marketing consent of each season ticket holder to publish their name like this.

hibee_girl
23-02-2010, 07:32 PM

I'd rather the certificate anyway :agree:

WarringtonHibee
23-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I like the idea of the certificate, I'd really want to get it framed and mounted with the seat, hung/screwed on my wall.

I'd imagine it'd be expensive as it'd have to be relatively deep (3-4 inches?) so the seat can be mounted inside of it.

GlesgaeHibby
23-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Great idea though.

Half season? Bloody part time supporter. First half of the season not good enough for you?:grr::wink:

Hibs07p
23-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Is that the same Boghead that Dumbarton played at? :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
23-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Is that the same Boghead that Dumbarton played at? :greengrin

Clydebank groundshared there for the last 5 years or so before their demise.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 08:27 PM
So what's peoples issue? Not wanting the wife to know they have a season ticket? Any other reasons to be jumpy on this one?

bingo70
23-02-2010, 08:33 PM
So what's peoples issue? Not wanting the wife to know they have a season ticket? Any other reasons to be jumpy on this one?

Absolute nonsense this even generated debate.

Was a nice idea that could have generated a wee bit extra cash on programme sales, never in a million years would have anyone complained about this surely :confused:

Jamesie
23-02-2010, 09:27 PM
There would be no grounds for a complaint, as you would need more identifiable information than just the name.

Not always the case - the Information Commissioner would be interested in whether someone could be identified by their name. So, while a John Smith might not have a valid complaint, a Thierri Gathuessi might have a more valid concern :greengrin

Jamesie
23-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Absolute nonsense this even generated debate.

Was a nice idea that could have generated a wee bit extra cash on programme sales, never in a million years would have anyone complained about this surely :confused:

I thought it was a nice idea too, but the club can't be too careful with things like this unfortunately. It seemed like every season ticket holder's name was going to be published, including kids, and believe me, handling children's data is a complete minefield!

Jamie
23-02-2010, 09:42 PM
good u-turn, and good thinking giving every ST a cert! :thumbsup:

capitals_finest
23-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Good gesture by the club and well deserved to the supporters that receive one :thumbsup:

Future17
23-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I thought it was a nice idea too, but the club can't be too careful with things like this unfortunately. It seemed like every season ticket holder's name was going to be published, including kids, and believe me, handling children's data is a complete minefield!

While printing the names in the match programme wouldn't ultimately constitute an offence (as has been discussed the information printed wouldn't identify you and children's names wouldn't be identified as children etc.), it would only take one person, whether affected or not, to complain for the club to require to spend a fortune on admin fielding an enquiry from the Data Protection Commissioner.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm still trying to think of a valid reason why anyone could complain about this. Other than the fact they just can. Totally ridiculous.

Hibs On Tour
23-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm still trying to think of a valid reason why anyone could complain about this. Other than the fact they just can. Totally ridiculous.

But that's the frankly ridiculous nanny state nonsense-world we now live in unfortunately.

When schools are forced to tell parents they can't video Xmas panto's in case any of the other parents object; where youth sponsors of Hibs can't report on the games played, put photos on websites or even list fixtures in case someone puts the info to the wrong use; where something like this - which has no real 'downside' - ends up having to be canned 'just in case' someone decides to be an arse and spoils it for everyone else.

Just another aspect of the 'no win, no fee' US-style approach to society where everything and everyone is just there ready to be sued as cash cow to anyone bitter enough to work the system and do so.

I, for one, wait with baited breath for the day when some common-sense and sanity returns to the world but to be honest I won't be holding my breath... :bitchy:

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Half season ticket holders are only getting there Christian names printed. :agree:

Don't we have Moslem and Jewish fans? :grr:

:devil:

Beefster
24-02-2010, 06:08 AM

Entirely agree and it will probably cost Hibs a pretty little sum too (extra programme sales vs cost of 1-2000 certificates). Some folk must have absolutely idyllic lives if this is the sort of thing that they worry about and/or raise with regulators.

To be honest though, if it's such a minefield, some legal eagle at ER made a boo-boo by letting it be announced in the first place.