PDA

View Full Version : Widening the pitch

Westie1875
23-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I see the EEN are reporting that when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?

Great if accurate though. :greengrin

Sprouleflyer
23-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I see the EEN are reporting that when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?

No doubt we will still lump high balls down the middle for Nish!!:grr:

H18sry
23-02-2010, 12:27 PM

It is hard enough at the moment, for our corner takers to get the ball past the front post as it it, without making it harder :grr:

smack
23-02-2010, 12:28 PM

I think this is a UEFA requirements that you need a certain amount of run off area outside the white lines of the pitch.

Argylehibby
23-02-2010, 12:42 PM
The pitch currently meets UEFA standards only because there was an immovable object preventing them extending it. Once the object is removed, even temporarily, then they need to widen the pitch to the meet the UEFA rules and that is what they will be doing. Not sure by how much it needed increased by but it has always been the intention to widen the pitch at the time the new East Stand was built.

I suspect that is why no real work was done to improve the pitch (resulting in the state it is today) in the close season as it made sense to do both jobs at the same time.

lapsedhibee
23-02-2010, 12:50 PM
when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?

Not really. It's only 2m each side.

I'm sure there was a thread about axes of symmetry a while back. Struggling to remember the exact point of that thread, but I think the gist was Symmetry Good, Asymmetry Bad. So on that basis, probably best to move the goals 2m (or move the West Stand also).

(Both goals, that is, to maintain symmetry.)

john18722
23-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm sure there was a thread about axes of symmetry a while back. Struggling to remember the exact point of that thread, but I think the gist was Symmetry Good, Asymmetry Bad. So on that basis, probably best to move the goals 2m (or move the West Stand also).

I am sorry if it is just me but I have no idea what you are talking about?:confused:

lapsedhibee
23-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I am sorry if it is just me but I have no idea what you are talking about?:confused:

(1) You can't just widen the pitch 4m at one side.

(2) The stadium should be symmetrical.

--------
23-02-2010, 01:12 PM
(1) You can't just widen the pitch 4m at one side.

(2) The stadium should be symmetrical.

(1) Why not? It would be different. And it would confuse the life out of the opposition... :devil:

(2) We already are symmetrical. The symmetry's down the road behind the North Stand.

I'll get my coat..... :rolleyes:

MussiHibee
23-02-2010, 01:26 PM
The email mentioned that some season ticket holders in the West Stand may be affected with the Pitch widening. Think they might take away the first row(s)??

Peevemor
23-02-2010, 01:29 PM
The email mentioned that some season ticket holders in the West Stand may be affected with the Pitch widening. Think they might take away the first row(s)??

No, that would mean losing seats = less dosh for Rod. Those in the front row will probably have to lift their legs/swing them to one side if the ball's played up the touchline. :agree:

banarc7062
23-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I think this is a UEFA requirements that you need a certain amount of run off area outside the white lines of the pitch.

But here at E.R. we don't allow players or officials to relieve themselves at the edge of the pitch. :greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Don't think so. IIRC the widening of the pitch will mean that the goals will be moved about 2 yards towards the east to 'maintain symmetry' - which means so that they'll still be in the middle of the widened pitch - but that the new pitch will be in the same position in relation to the present West Stand as the present pitch is.

Quote from the official website: "Significant works will be undertaken in the close season to fit the new stadium configuration and to meet UEFA guidelines. Some minor work will be required in the West Stand to allow the planned works on the pitch; any supporters affected will be contacted in advance of next season."

This reads to me that the club are intending to relay the pitch in its entirety (not before time, IMO, but obviously they were waiting for this major project to take off before doing it) and that while this is happening a small number of seats in the West will be affected. I can't see anything like a complete row of seats being removed - sounds to me more like a temporary inconvenience than anything major.

SidBurns
23-02-2010, 01:40 PM
It'll be to do with the requirements of the pitch size for UEFA matches, or so I thought. Currently doing my referee course and the requirements for UEFA International matches is a pitch between 110 and 120 yards in length and 70 and 80 yards in width. The current pitch is 112 x 74 yards meaning we are compliant!?!

There are no other rules regarding how far the pitch must be away from the stands/run-off areas...

Craig_in_Prague
23-02-2010, 01:51 PM
If you are west stand side, pitch side and look down the line towards the FF stand, i remember it looked a bit weird.... on one of the tours pre 2007 cup win, they said this would be fixed once new east was built.

So maybe it means the pitch is being slightly shifted towards east, meaning more space on west stand side?

Or am i just as confused as some others... :confused:

Dan Sarf
23-02-2010, 01:59 PM
No, that would mean losing seats = less dosh for Rod. Those in the front row will probably have to lift their legs/swing them to one side if the ball's played up the touchline. :agree:

Brilliant! :greengrin

erskine-hibby
23-02-2010, 02:04 PM
If you are west stand side, pitch side and look down the line towards the FF stand, i remember it looked a bit weird.... on one of the tours pre 2007 cup win, they said this would be fixed once new east was built.

So maybe it means the pitch is being slightly shifted towards east, meaning more space on west stand side?

Or am i just as confused as some others... :confused:

That is correct, if you look at the FF and North stands there is a larger overlap towards the East. This was done so that when the new east stand goes up the pitch can be widened, the goals can be shunted towards the east and a more symmetrical stadium is achieved.

dangermouse
23-02-2010, 02:16 PM
That is correct, if you look at the FF and North stands there is a larger overlap towards the East. This was done so that when the new east stand goes up the pitch can be widened, the goals can be shunted towards the east and a more symmetrical stadium is achieved.

Does this mean the goals are currently offset towards the West Stand :dunno: It certainly doesn't look like it :confused:

GB6
23-02-2010, 02:18 PM
just back from getting derby tickets :greengrin and noticed as i was walking past the famous five stand, rolls of turf lying in the corner between the east and f5, possibly relaying the pitch, maybe only certain parts? :confused:

lapsedhibee
23-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Does this mean the goals are currently offset towards the West Stand? It certainly doesn't look like it.
I just kent this thread was going to degenerate into another debate aboot symmetry! :grr: :grr:

--------
23-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I just kent this thread was going to degenerate into another debate aboot symmetry! :grr: :grr:

Well, the way the weather's been the last three months, it's a foolish man that goes out without a semmit is all I can say..... :devil:

Cocaine&Caviar
23-02-2010, 02:34 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/1534655788_b94933b833.jpg?v=0 (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/1534655788_b94933b833.jpg?v=0)

If you look at this picture, gaining 4m just from one side shouldnt be an issue, as the current stand overlaps the FF and South...

--------
23-02-2010, 02:51 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/1534655788_b94933b833.jpg?v=0 (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/1534655788_b94933b833.jpg?v=0)

If you look at this picture, gaining 4m just from one side shouldnt be an issue, as the current stand overlaps the FF and South...

:agree:

For all that the Jambos are going on about IKEA and green bus-shelters, the stadium plans were worked out very carefully right at the beginning in the '90's.

The North and South were built in such a way and at such an elevation that when the slope was removed from the pitch everything fitted together.

The West was built to fit snugly between them, and in such a way that the corners could be filled in if the need ever arose. Now the East will be rebuilt, 4-5 yards farther back to be in line with the corners of the North and South, and to accomodate the wider pitch. And even though it's single-tier rather than two-tier, we can still fill in the corners if we want to.

We've been working to the same principles as Rangers were working to when they started the rebuild of Ibrox, and one step at a time over what? - 15 years, we've arrived at the point where we'll have a modern stadium complete and finished.

NOW all we have to do is FILL it. :rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
23-02-2010, 02:54 PM

That photo was taken before the East Stand had a few rows taken out when the slope was removed so wont reflect the current state.

down the slope
23-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I thought symmetry was where you got buried.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 02:57 PM

For all that the Jambos are going on about IKEA and green bus-shelters, the stadium plans were worked out very carefully right at the beginning in the '90's.

The North and South were built in such a way and at such an elevation that when the slope was removed from the pitch everything fitted together.

The West was built to fit snugly between them, and in such a way that the corners could be filled in if the need ever arose. Now the East will be rebuilt, 4-5 yards farther back to be in line with the corners of the North and South, and to accomodate the wider pitch. And even though it's single-tier rather than two-tier, we can still fill in the corners if we want to.

We've been working to the same principles as Rangers were working to when they started the rebuild of Ibrox, and one step at a time over what? - 15 years, we've arrived at the point where we'll have a modern stadium complete and finished.

I remember standing in The Nip as a teenager before a game looking at the plans of the stadium on the back of the Evening News. At a time when the stadium was a total tip.

It's been a while coming but great to think that in a few months time it will be complete just about exactly how the original model looked.

Now, if we could get rid of those stupid beer badge shapes on the green steel!

GreenCastle
23-02-2010, 03:10 PM

That is an older picture before they sorted the slope / moved the pitch closer to the east.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Easter_Road.jpg

This is the newer one but I can't see how the goals will be in the middle of the Famous Five / South if moved 2 metres (4m in total). :confused:

Peevemor
23-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Whereas our neighbours;

1. Built stands where the front rows of seats aren't covered.
2. Can't fill in the corners because of the floodlight pylons which also hold up the roof.
3. Had to alter their 'new' stands because they weren't planned with UEFA pitch requirements in mind.
4. Are apparently still waiting for the planning department to finish unpacking the application for their new super stand from the hundreds of boxes in which it was submitted.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Sorry to get away from the symmetry thing, but will widening the pitch mean they will need to renew the undersoil heating as well?

--------
23-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Sorry to get away from the symmetry thing, but will widening the pitch mean they will need to renew the undersoil heating as well?

I imagine so. Otherwise there'll be a strip of turf about 4 metres wide down the East-side touchline that wouldn't be heated.

Going on the state of the pitch the last few winters, we could do with a complete rebuild of the pitch - drainage, heating, turf, the whole thing.

Peevemor
23-02-2010, 04:27 PM
The pitch won't be centered on the North and South stands, but will be pushed more toward the new East.

This can be seen on the site plan here -

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/submissions.do?action=ViewPublicCaseDetails&applicationRef=04/03230/VARY

... together with the rest of the latest planning drawings (they're big pdf files so take a while to load).

greenlex
23-02-2010, 04:30 PM
The pitch won't be centered on the North and South stands, but will be pushed more toward the new East.

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/submissions.do?action=ViewPublicCaseDetails&applicationRef=04/03230/VARY

... together with the rest of the latest planning drawings (they're big pdf files so take a while to load).
Noticed there will be a 2 meter high solid fence enclosing the area up to the stand. so thats the gate slapping stopped then. :devil:

lapsedhibee
23-02-2010, 04:54 PM

:grr: :grr: Symmetry about the Butch Wilkins axis only (http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/getEdmDoc?docid=52489778&ext=pdf)! :grr: :grr:

erskine-hibby
23-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Does this mean the goals are currently offset towards the West Stand :dunno: It certainly doesn't look like it :confused:

Not at the moment because of the position of the east stand at present, but when the new stand is built and the pitch is widened, keeping the goals in the same position would look...well, wrong.

Sas_The_Hibby
23-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Yes, but now he'll miss the ball by 6 metres, instead of 2! :greengrin

Scorrie
23-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh Great. Why didnt we widen the pitch last season when we had O'brien? Could have made all the difference...:devil:.

RyeSloan
23-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I imagine so. Otherwise there'll be a strip of turf about 4 metres wide down the East-side touchline that wouldn't be heated.

Going on the state of the pitch the last few winters, we could do with a complete rebuild of the pitch - drainage, heating, turf, the whole thing.

The club has already stated that they will take the opp to relay the pitch and to upgrade the under soil heating, drainage etc at the same time.

RyeSloan
23-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Going by this then the North and South Stands are going to end up slightly off centre to the pitch....not a lot we can do about that now and it's probably down to UEFA pitch requirements changing over the years than any faux pas in forward planning from Hibs.

Not exactly going to be a hot topic of debate at the next AGM though is it !!

.Sean.
23-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Going by this then the North and South Stands are going to end up slightly off centre to the pitch....not a lot we can do about that now and it's probably down to UEFA pitch requirements changing over the years than any faux pas in forward planning from Hibs.

Not exactly going to be a hot topic of debate at the next AGM though is it !!
It'll look a wee bit daft though. Couldn't the first few rows of seats in the West be taken out so the goals are in the centre of the FF/South?

Big Frank
23-02-2010, 07:54 PM
(1) Why not? It would be different. And it would confuse the life out of the opposition... :devil:

(2) We already are symmetrical. The symmetry's down the road behind the North Stand.

I'll get my coat..... :rolleyes:
:faf::faf:

Emerald
23-02-2010, 08:29 PM

This was the thread in case anyone is interested.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=95210 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=95210)

--------
23-02-2010, 08:33 PM

You've got me worried now, lh.

To fail to maintain symmetry would be a GRAVE error indeed. :devil:

Alfred E Newman
23-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Not at the moment because of the position of the east stand at present, but when the new stand is built and the pitch is widened, keeping the goals in the same position would look...well, wrong.

Could they not move the West Stand back a bit to balance things out?:dunno:

--------
23-02-2010, 08:47 PM

I think we should pull 'em all down and start all over again.... :agree:

erskine-hibby
23-02-2010, 09:03 PM

We don't want to move any closer to the west though:wink:

.Sean.
23-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I think we should pull 'em all down and start all over again.... :agree:
...and have new ones re-constructed before Hearts can say 'Now that's what I call another planning application!'

JDanielR1875
23-02-2010, 09:29 PM

:thumbsup: probably

brydekirk
23-02-2010, 09:32 PM
it says on the official site that there will be some work to be done to the bottom of the west stand. this must be to try and keep the pitch central.

--------
23-02-2010, 09:37 PM
...and have new ones re-constructed before Hearts can say 'Now that's what I call another planning application!'

We got it all wrong, actually - those cardboard boxes weren't the planning application.

They were the MEGAJAMBOSTAND - flat-packed.