PDA

View Full Version : Smoking In The East

7Hero
22-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Something i noticed when i moved from the west into the famous five this year was the folk smoking in the toilets. Was never much of an issue after the smoking ban started if i recall correctly.

Think it is pretty minging that folk light up in the bogs in the famous five and its one of the reasons im going back to the west next season.

Its actually a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes, my son has to put up with it (hes 5)and in this day and age the ground should be non smoking..

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Something i noticed when i moved from the west into the famous five this year was the folk smoking in the toilets. Was never much of an issue after the smoking ban started if i recall correctly.

Think it is pretty minging that folk light up in the bogs in the famous five and its one of the reasons im going back to the west next season.

Its actually a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes, my son has to put up with it (hes 5)and in this day and age the ground should be non smoking..

Trying to watch Maka for 90 minutes without reaching for a smoke is torture.

Hibby D
22-02-2010, 10:02 PM

I agree :agree: However I use the ladies in the lower FF every half-time and no-one in there has ever broken the rules as far as I can tell.

Must be the men :devil:

7Hero
22-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Trying to watch Maka for 90 minutes without reaching for a smoke is torture.

no excuse now then mate, hes practically offski..:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2010, 10:31 PM

I totally agree. Thats why I cant understand why there is no provision for folk who smoke to leave the ground at half time for a fag and be allowed back in again.

You can do it at the pictures, why not football ?

Please dont turn this into an anti smoking debate. The risks are well known and nobody but an idiot would argue against them.

But smoking is banned in all parts of ER because to quote the club " to enable supporters to ENJOY the match in a smoke free environment"

If you are a smoker you can indeed go for 2 hours without a fag on match days. In fact you can go for the whole day without a fag.

But like it or not smoking is an addiction and for most smokers I would guess after about an hour they start thinking about having a fag. The result of this is that their ENJOYMENT of the match day experience is spoiled by it. I know that mine often is.

I dont know if you have ever been a smoker but saying "its a disgrace" that folk cant go without for 90 minutes misses the point. Its not a deliberate act calculated to annoy or risk the health of fellow supporters but rather that some folk find it really difficult to go without a fag for what is in effect two hours, or more like three hours if its a cup game with extra time and penalties. Dread the thought.

Line up every smoker who attends ER and ask them if they would rather have a fag in the palatial surroundings of the FF bog and be made to feel like a criminal ( which by law they are ) or if they would prefer to be allowed outside ?

I know which one I would prefer.

Smokers pay the same money for season tickets, merchandise, getting to games etc as non smokers. Why should our matchday experience be lessened for the want of a door at the back of the stand being opened for 15 minutes at half time.

Problem solved and everybody is happy.

Like I said at the start. I agree with you, all I want is a bit of fairness.

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I totally agree. Thats why I cant understand why there is no provision for folk who smoke to leave the ground at half time for a fag and be allowed back in again.

Please dont turn this into an anti smoking debate. The risks are well known and nobody but an idiot would argue against them.

But smoking is banned in all parts of ER because to quote the club " to enable supporters to ENJOY the match in a smoke free environment"

If you are a smoker you can indeed go for 2 hours without a fag on match days. In fact you can go for the whole day without a fag.

But like it or not smoking is an addiction and for most smokers I would guess after about an hour they start thinking about having a fag. The result of this is that their ENJOYMENT of the match day experience is spoiled by it. I know that mine often is.

I dont know if you have ever been a smoker but saying "its a disgrace" that folk cant go without for 90 minutes misses the point. Its not a deliberate act calculated to annoy or risk the health of fellow supporters but rather that some folk find it really difficult to go without a fag for what is in effect two hours, or more like three hours if its a cup game with extra time and penalties. Dread the thought.

Line up every smoker who attends ER and ask them if they would rather have a fag in the palatial surroundings of the FF bog and be made to feel like a criminal ( which by law they are ) or if they would prefer to be allowed outside ?

Smokers pay the same money for season tickets, merchandise, getting to games etc as non smokers. Why should our matchday experience be lessened for the want of a door at the back of the stand being opened for 15 minutes at half time.

:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Common sense.

I heard they operate this at Killie? Can anyone confirm?

I have a ST in the east which is good because you can nip out the back at HT and have a puff which is fine in the open air. When I used to be in the FF it was the stairwell but that got stopped so folk must have decanted to the bogs.

Wouldn't take much effort to get a few metre's of temporary security fencing like you see round building site's etc that the stewards could erect round a space outside one of the doors. Folk could nip out there and have a smoke and be contented and the non-smokers can go for a piss and breathe at the same time.

ArabHibee
22-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Are you sure you can't do this? I'm sure I've seen a few people come in and out of the double doors in the lower FF at half-time. Assumed they had been out for a smoke.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2010, 10:52 PM
:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Common sense.

I have a ST in the east which is good because you can nip out the back at HT and have a puff which is fine in the open air. When I used to be in the FF it was the stairwell but that got stopped so folk must have decanted to the bogs.

Wouldn't take much effort to get a few metre's of temporary security fencing like you see round building site's etc that the stewards could erect round a space outside one of the doors. Folk could nip out there and have a smoke and be contented and the non-smokers can go for a piss and breathe at the same time.

I doubt if the safety dudes would allow barriers at an exit.

I E Mailed the club about this and suggested that with the new ST system it would be a breeze to let folk out who could then show their ticket to get back in.

For pay at the gate you could ask for a voucher which would allow you back into the ground at half time. Or for pre paid tickets show your stub.

Needless to say I never got a reply. :grr:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Are you sure you can't do this? I'm sure I've seen a few people come in and out of the double doors in the lower FF at half-time. Assumed they had been out for a smoke.

Nah, that's just folk deciding to leave early and having second thoughts about it as they know they'll get rinsed on Hibs.net later by the real fans. :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2010, 10:54 PM

If you can I have never heard about it. Perhaps someone in the know could post.

Speedy
22-02-2010, 10:57 PM
There was a guy(and a group of kids) smoking in the toilets in the FF and another guy actually pulled him up. They were debating as I left so I don't know what the outcome was.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh ....... and as a bitter afterthought:

I would be willing to bet what little money I do have that if the law was changed tomorrow and the government allowed gigarette advertising Hibs and every other club would be beating down the door of the Fag companies cap in hand asking for a slice of the action.

:grr:

Riordans Boots
22-02-2010, 11:07 PM

After a few sherbets before the Derby at New year, I asked a steward in the West, if I could nip out the double doors (at the side of the ticket office) and he flatly said no and that if he let me out, I wouldn't be allowed back in.
(barsteward mare likes) :grr:

I can't ever see this being something ER would even contemplate for smokers nipping in and out - purely for health and safety reasons :greengrin

RickyS
23-02-2010, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=Kevvy1875;2364494]:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Common sense.

The back of the East (in the open air) is one of the reasons I have never moved. I feel sorry for the stewards who actually approach some of the smokers and ask them to put their fags out. and yes I feel sorry for the non smokers. Its does not mean anything now but the system Killie operated a couple of seasons back was a dividing line, smokers one side and non smokers the others. it worked a treat (from my point of view anyway).
I know that 90 odd minutes its not a hellish long time (derbies are a freekin nightmare) but it is an addiction, and when you are told you can't! a smokers brain goes into overdrive and its all you can think about.
YES - we all know the dangers and we would think twice before starting again
YES- we understand how non smokers feel about it.
But I do think there could be a wee bit more understanding in making allowances. I would pay a bit more for a smokers season ticket if it meant a few extra stewards to police an area on the outside of the stand at half time.

jacomo
23-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm glad they banned smoking at ER. I could get through a packet while watching the Hibs...

:wink:

magnificent_seven
23-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Just like it's a disgrace people can't go without junk food for 90 mins?:duck: :devil:

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 09:29 AM

I said the same thing to a friend of mine who is fairly high up in the police regarding how we are penalised and that all it would take would be opening a door. His response was something along the lines of. Its very hard to police something like this where fans would go out and come back in, a type of fencing area would need to be installed and because you dont know how big this would need to be because you wouldnt know how many people smoked are fancied one at that time, this would need to be policed on possibly a one in one out basis which would = cost to the club. He also said that many people have addictions some legal some illegal that people have to do without at games. He said that some people are alcoholics and arent allowed drink into games. In summary in seems that to allow smokers to smoke at the game in some capacity it would cost the club an outlay and ongoing policing costs.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 09:37 AM
This is all part and parcel of the smoking ban. Hopefully it becomes so difficult for people it is easier just to try and give it up. When that day comes it can only be good for everyone. Alcoholics wouldn't be allowed to slip out the back for a bevvy. Sex addicts would probably get arrested for giving in - smokers just need to adapt to less than 2hrs without a fag.

7Hero
23-02-2010, 09:52 AM
how anybody can think that a door opening to let smokers out is manageable is beyond me.
as for the ticket scenario, one guys leave with 2 st's gives one to another guy who uses it to get back again.

there is no easy way of doing that wont cause hassle or cost to the club, so a flat ban would be the easiest thing for the club.

the fact people are smoking in the toilets and thus it going into the concourse is unfair on people who don't smoke..

aljo7-0
I'm glad they banned smoking at ER. I could get through a packet while watching the Hibs...

:wink:

:agree: So could I and I don't smoke!

7Hero
This is all part and parcel of the smoking ban. Hopefully it becomes so difficult for people it is easier just to try and give it up. When that day comes it can only be good for everyone. Alcoholics wouldn't be allowed to slip out the back for a bevvy. Sex addicts would probably get arrested for giving in - smokers just need to adapt to less than 2hrs without a fag.

:top marks

jakki
23-02-2010, 10:16 AM
If you are in hospitality in the West Stand ,you can go out for a ciggie after lunch, at half time and after the game.There is a lady at the door who gives you a ticket on exit and you surrender is on re-entry. It works fine and I cannot see why that cannot work for the rest of the stands.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 10:26 AM
If you are in hospitality in the West Stand ,you can go out for a ciggie after lunch, at half time and after the game.There is a lady at the door who gives you a ticket on exit and you surrender is on re-entry. It works fine and I cannot see why that cannot work for the rest of the stands.

Because thats hospitality and its in the west. Different people and a lot less! Wouldnt work in the east I am afraid, the police would not allow some lady giving a ticket to people on the way out in the east.

TonyStokeprano
23-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Why is th thread called "smoking in the east" when the op talks about the famous five and wst stand?

MSK
23-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Why is th thread called "smoking in the east" when the op talks about the famous five and wst stand?Perhaps because if it is allowed then the smokers who use the bogs in the FF & West may decide to move to the East thus allowing him & his son to do a wazz without choking on smoke ...:wink:

Hibby D
23-02-2010, 10:53 AM

I E Mailed the club about this and suggested that with the new ST system it would be a breeze to let folk out who could then show their ticket to get back in.

For pay at the gate you could ask for a voucher which would allow you back into the ground at half time. Or for pre paid tickets show your stub.

As marydoll said you can go out for a smoke if you are in the West Stand Hospitality. As part of the security measures up there every visitor is given a coloured wrist band on arrival - for those who smoke it's their pass in and out before the match, at half-time and afterwards if they choose to stay on.

Inexpensive and very easy to monitor.

Definitely not :no way:

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=Hibby D;2364827]As marydoll said you can go out for a smoke if you are in the West Stand Hospitality. As part of the security measures up there every visitor is given a coloured wrist band on arrival - for those who smoke it's their pass in and out before the match, at half-time and afterwards if they choose to stay on.

Not easy to monitor at all. Yes maybe with a few from hospitality but I would imagine there would be quite a lot in the East stand, and they are a bit harder to monitor than the people that frequent the hospitality in the west. It would need to be policed highly as people could swap bands to allow people that have been banned back into the ground.

Hibby D
23-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Not easy to monitor at all. Yes maybe with a few from hospitality but I would imagine there would be quite a lot in the East stand, and they are a bit harder to monitor than the people that frequent the hospitality in the west. It would need to be policed highly as people could swap bands to allow people that have been banned back into the ground.

Have you tried to get one of those bands off? :grr: It would take a skilled surgeon to remove it and replace it without anyone seeing the join :greengrin

Winston Ingram
23-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Probably because 11-17,500 don't attend films at one time.

can you imagine the logistics involved in letting 100's-1000's of people out and back in to the stadium in a 15 minute spell :confused:

It'd practically be impossible and you'd have streams of people coming back late to their seats and interupting the game for everyone else :grr:

On top of that, the cinema probably don't get clientel who are bevvied out their nut going mental at their staff(which we'd have to hire a bucket load more of to police in 4 stands) about the time it's taking to get them out and back in.
:rolleyes:

Baw187
23-02-2010, 12:28 PM

:grr: I'd be more inclined to protest for a lift on the booze ban.

clerriehibs
23-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't smoke, never have done, and can't stand the habit.

Smoking in the stands was banned for safety reasons. Fair enough, but the stands are no longer wooden firetraps; they're concrete & steel, unlikely in the extreme to go up in smoke. You still can't have people sitting & smoking next to non-smokers in this day & age, but why can't they smoke down the front at half-time? That's wide open, surely there's no problem with a concentration of smoke there? It might still be a problem for some of those in the front row, and if so, then why not use the open areas between each of the stands? They're secure.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 12:32 PM
If they don't let anyone have a tab in the new stand I hope they boycott the match to teach them ans the club a lesson! They can't let some guy who earns less per hour than a packet of fags costs tell them what they can and can't do.

Outrageous. :wink:

MSK
23-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't smoke, never have done, and can't stand the habit.

Smoking in the stands was banned for safety reasons. Fair enough, but the stands are no longer wooden firetraps; they're concrete & steel, unlikely in the extreme to go up in smoke. You still can't have people sitting & smoking next to non-smokers in this day & age, but why can't they smoke down the front at half-time? That's wide open, surely there's no problem with a concentration of smoke there? It might still be a problem for some of those in the front row, and if so, then why not use the open areas between each of the stands? They're secure.I would be very surprised if hibs made any provisions for smokers other than mentioned above for West stand hospitality ...the Scottish/local Government are hell bent on their stance about smoking in public places etc & im quite sure hibs will be supporting them in this ....as a smoker myself i would like something in place but im honestly not too fussed either way ...a couple of packets of chungy normally see me through the 90 mins ...:worried:...:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
23-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I take it all the FF bog faggers and East faggers can't go abroad via plane then?

Jack
23-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I seem to recall from the mists of time that in one of those Q&A things the club held that one of the Qs was will folk be able to smoke in the new stand and the A was that the club didn’t think it would be allowed, by the law, but they would look into it. :confused:

I may have picked this up wrongly but did someone suggest the back of the new stand would be open? And there's bound to be space between the boundary fence and the stadium. Could a solution not be found here? If there is no smoking ‘within’ the stadium then designate that piece of ground ‘outwith' the stadium??? Rent it out for a penny a season to the Hibernian Fag Society :wink:

If a way could be found then I suspect all the smokers that “can't leave it out for the 90 minutes” would gravitate to the new East leaving the toilets in the other parts of the ground smoke free or at least leave those who continue to smoke in them more exposed to criticism from fellow supporters and the wrath of the woose stewards.

I think its actually a disgrace, and shows a complete lack of understanding, that folk think its a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes. I also think its as much a disgrace, and shows a complete lack of consideration, that folk smoke in the toilets.

Smokin’ Jack

MSK
23-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I take it all the FF bog faggers and East faggers can't go abroad via plane then?Nope ..i go wi car & rowing boat ..

Jack
23-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I take it all the FF bog faggers and East faggers can't go abroad via plane then?

Yes and I do. However the ingenuity of the smoker prevails and even after going through security at Edinburgh Airport there is still the opportunity to ‘slip out for a fag’. :wink:

And God help the foreign official who delays me at the other end! Not that’s its ever likely to happen. :angeldevi

Sudds_1
23-02-2010, 01:10 PM

:whistle: smoke on the water........dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan da da :whistle::whistle:

Bad Martini
23-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Simple solution is to give up smoking, like us former smokaholics :rules::na na::whistle:

:smokin

...then take up even more drinking. This leads to you observing all the other rules such as standing at the game, going to and from the bog to relieve yer bladder and pissing everyone off just as much. Allegedly :greengrin

_hucks_
23-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Problem with that is that if you go to the game with a mate, then leave for a smoke with your card and his, you could hand his card to someone else to get back in, same goes for vouchers/stubs etc.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 02:49 PM
I seem to recall from the mists of time that in one of those Q&A things the club held that one of the Qs was will folk be able to smoke in the new stand and the A was that the club didn’t think it would be allowed, by the law, but they would look into it. :confused:

I may have picked this up wrongly but did someone suggest the back of the new stand would be open? And there's bound to be space between the boundary fence and the stadium. Could a solution not be found here? If there is no smoking ‘within’ the stadium then designate that piece of ground ‘outwith' the stadium??? Rent it out for a penny a season to the Hibernian Fag Society :wink:

If a way could be found then I suspect all the smokers that “can't leave it out for the 90 minutes” would gravitate to the new East leaving the toilets in the other parts of the ground smoke free or at least leave those who continue to smoke in them more exposed to criticism from fellow supporters and the wrath of the woose stewards.

I think its actually a disgrace, and shows a complete lack of understanding, that folk think its a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes. I also think its as much a disgrace, and shows a complete lack of consideration, that folk smoke in the toilets.

Smokin’ Jack

Hibs as a football club should be doing what they can to support this public health issue and offer no facilities for smoking. If enough barriers are put up people might stop.

Bring back the booze though because I do drink. :greengrin

Jack
23-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hibs as a football club should be doing what they can to support this public health issue and offer no facilities for smoking. If enough barriers are put up people might stop.

Hibs is first and foremost a commercial organisation with professional football as the key product.

While Hibs [maybe] should be promoting healthy options is their main concern is keeping their customers / supporters happy, without them there is no club, including the 25% - 35% that smoke.

And if anyone says 25% - 35% of Hibs supporters don’t smoke its closer to 10% (a fair figure judging from the folk I see light up around the ground on a match day) then maybe that’s the 15% - 25% that are missing from the gate.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
23-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree smoking fags is filthy, the weed now that harms no one:wink:

or does it, i forget

WhileTheChief..
23-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Go to the back few rows for a smoke. By the time the steward gets up all those steps you'll be finished.

Once he's back down the steps the person next to you can light up, steward comes back up, goes back down and so on and so on. Nobody gets caught!

How many times you reckon the stewards can go up down all those steps in 90 mins??!!

RickyS
23-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Go to the back few rows for a smoke. By the time the steward gets up all those steps you'll be finished.

Once he's back down the steps the person next to you can light up, steward comes back up, goes back down and so on and so on. Nobody gets caught!

How many times you reckon the stewards can go up down all those steps in 90 mins??!!

Where there is a will, there is a way!:greengrin

ArabHibee
23-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Why do they sell crap fatty foods at the kiosks then? :cool2:

RickyS
24-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Why do they sell crap fatty foods at the kiosks then? :cool2:

and bovril so hot it takes a full half to be drinkable?:greengrin

Hibs On Tour
24-02-2010, 12:11 AM
As marydoll said you can go out for a smoke if you are in the West Stand Hospitality. As part of the security measures up there every visitor is given a coloured wrist band on arrival - for those who smoke it's their pass in and out before the match, at half-time and afterwards if they choose to stay on.

Definitely not :no way:

Is this a new thing? Because I've done a lot of the hospitality on match days in the West up to this season and never yet been handed a wristband on arrival...

seanshow
24-02-2010, 12:11 AM
See the light! Smoking is so 2009 :wink:
It'll be the best thing to happen to the east stand after the improved view, I hope it's strictly regulated :bye:

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2010, 05:47 PM
See the light! Smoking is so 2009 :wink:
It'll be the best thing to happen to the east stand after the improved view, I hope it's strictly regulated :bye:

Aye guid :greengrin

Mind you, as soon as they have sorted out us smokers for good, the next in line are the fatties.

The club will announce that the new East has a weight limit and the lard asses will have to go on a weigh bridge before they can go through the turnsyles. Over 18 stane ye dinnae get in. Between 14 and 18 stane ye get in but ye urny allowed near the pie stall.

If yer fat and smoke ... Gowrd elp ya

Where will it all end :confused:

sahib
25-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Hibs have misjudged their market here. They should be building an all-standing all-smoking affair, which would need to be a roofless enclosure. Really, the old E. terrace should have been restored to all its 1950s splendour.

jacomo
25-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Aye guid :greengrin

Mind you, as soon as they have sorted out us smokers for good, the next in line are the fatties.

The club will announce that the new East has a weight limit and the lard asses will have to go on a weigh bridge before they can go through the turnsyles. Over 18 stane ye dinnae get in. Between 14 and 18 stane ye get in but ye urny allowed near the pie stall.

If yer fat and smoke ... Gowrd elp ya

Where will it all end :confused:

Anyone with booze on their breath stopped at the turnstiles?

Lucius Apuleius
26-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Imagine the cost of ashtrays or butt buckets!!!!! That is unless the smokers will just throw their fag ends on the ground:confused: