PDA

View Full Version : Curling

Hibbie_Cameron
22-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Why am i addicted to watching women and men bashing stones about, often knocking them out one after the other?

HibbyScott
22-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I love it as well. I only ever watch it for 2 weeks every 4 years, but its amazing. Wish I had more time at uni so I could join the curling club :greengrin

Just Jimmy
22-02-2010, 10:40 PM
aye its grand, watching it just now. Eve Muirheads a wee bit awrite as well :wink:

PC Stamp
22-02-2010, 11:36 PM
aye its grand, watching it just now. Eve Muirheads a wee bit awrite as well :wink:

Shame her curling skills have been far from awrite in the last few games!

MCC Hibs
23-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Ludmila Privivkova :agree:

J-C
23-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Shame her curling skills have been far from awrite in the last few games!

So far I've watched the women lose 4 times and each time it's Eve that's tossed the game away. Last night 3-1 up and an easy 2 to be had, she made a mistake and lost 2 to make it 3-3, end up losin 7-6.

Part/Time Supporter
23-02-2010, 11:12 AM
So far I've watched the women lose 4 times and each time it's Eve that's tossed the game away. Last night 3-1 up and an easy 2 to be had, she made a mistake and lost 2 to make it 3-3, end up losin 7-6.

She was even worse against the Yanks, two easy shots to win the game and missed them both badly. I can't fathom why she wasn't binned after that and Lockhart (who has substantial experience at skip and fourth in world / continental level events) made skip.

Even the uber-positive Rhona Martin was (obliquely) criticising her at times last night. Their tactics against Denmark were nonsensical.

J-C
23-02-2010, 02:06 PM
She was even worse against the Yanks, two easy shots to win the game and missed them both badly. I can't fathom why she wasn't binned after that and Lockhart (who has substantial experience at skip and fourth in world / continental level events) made skip.

Even the uber-positive Rhona Martin was (obliquely) criticising her at times last night. Their tactics against Denmark were nonsensical.

Eve was 2 times world junior champion, so she should've been able to move up to this level, obviosly the nerves are getting the better of her. Last night she had an easy takeout to leave her stone in the ring, she missed completely and the Danes took 2 points.
As said Lockhart has been on good form and has the experience, she should've been moved to 4th player as her nerves wern't a problem.

MacBean
23-02-2010, 09:02 PM
eve's still a bonnie lass! specially at 19 :wink:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs490.snc3/26803_326771263727_500378727_3431646_6038697_n.jpg

PC Stamp
23-02-2010, 11:59 PM
eve's still a bonnie lass! specially at 19 :wink:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs490.snc3/26803_326771263727_500378727_3431646_6038697_n.jpg

Dinnae think anyone's disputing that! :greengrin
But there's not an Olympic Gold Medal for being the bonniest unfortunately!

Golden Bear
24-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I've tried Curling once and I've got to admit it's the most frustrating and difficult game i've ever played.

It's far more difficult than it looks on the box but you find that with all sports as "the experts" make it look easy.

I tried for 2 sodden hours and never managed to get one stone into the rink! There is even an art to the sweeping and it's so *loody easy to fall flat on your erchy as I frequently found out.

:grr:

Hibbie_Cameron
24-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Our men are bloody hopeless. I thought they were gold medal favourites?

Calvin
25-02-2010, 12:13 AM
How unfair is this?

I was a draw so they play an extra end, Sweden have the hammer though!

They should play 2 extra ends where each team has the hammer once.

H18sry
25-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Why did the not throw there stone down the oppisite side of the house on the 10th end, and force Sweden to pull out a really special shot instead of giving them an easy double take out :grr:

Part/Time Supporter
25-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Why did the not throw there stone down the oppisite side of the house on the 10th end, and force Sweden to pull out a really special shot instead of giving them an easy double take out :grr:

That was a common theme with a lot of the key shot selections by both teams. They often went for shots that you had little or no confidence they would make, when there was usually an alternative shot on which would have had not quite as good a best result, but was a lot less risky. Neither team was playing well enough to take on those high risk / reward shots, but they never changed their tactical approach accordingly.

Hibbie_Cameron
25-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I missed the last few ends as i had to be up at 5am. As others have said the shot selections throughout the round-robin were staggering. Seen more mistake from the British men/women than the other teams put together .

The other night the men were laying two, going for three and the skip knocked the opposition stone into the centre of the house for shot:bitchy:

J-C
26-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I missed the last few ends as i had to be up at 5am. As others have said the shot selections throughout the round-robin were staggering. Seen more mistake from the British men/women than the other teams put together .

The other night the men were laying two, going for three and the skip knocked the opposition stone into the centre of the house for shot:bitchy:

Against Norway he was 6-4 down with 4 ends left and Norway wer lying 1 shot, he tried a hard shot to knock out their 3 stones in one, dind't quite get it and knocked out his own stones leaving Norway lying 3 and 9-4 up with 3 ends left. Even Rhona Martin couldn't understand why he didn't take the easy draw for 1 as there was still 3 ends to play.

--------
27-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Did you see the women's final last night?

Norberg totally out-thought and out-psyched the Canadian coach at the end.

cabbageandribs1875
27-02-2010, 09:41 PM
the canadian skip cheryl bernard is a luvly looking 44 year old woman http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S4Nks2mRJpI/AAAAAAAABiI/XOJsCdBguP4/s1600-h/cheryl-bernard-curling.jpg :yum yum: not a bad curler too :wink:

stu in nottingham
28-02-2010, 07:50 AM
the canadian skip cheryl bernard is a luvly looking 44 year old woman http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S4Nks2mRJpI/AAAAAAAABiI/XOJsCdBguP4/s1600-h/cheryl-bernard-curling.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S4Nks2mRJpI/AAAAAAAABiI/XOJsCdBguP4/s1600-h/cheryl-bernard-curling.jpg) :yum yum: not a bad curler too :wink:

Couldn't help thinking that myself whilst watching the curling yesterday. Striking looking lady!

http://www.teambernard.com/images/07%20provincial/Draw07_DSC_0022sm.jpg (http://www.teambernard.com/images/07%20provincial/Draw07_DSC_0022sm.jpg)

Greentinted
01-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Dunno about anybody else but I though the BBC were inspired with that wee gem of an unlikely commentary team comprising Cram and Martin.

Part/Time Supporter
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Dunno about anybody else but I though the BBC were inspired with that wee gem of an unlikely commentary team comprising Cram and Martin.

It worked quite well because Cram's inherent pessimism (probably derived from supporting Sunderland) offset Martin's ludicrous optimism (probably derived from being a Hun).

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2010, 01:03 AM

i lost count of the times rhona martin commented on a shot by saying 'oh, that looks like it's going to be a good shot' only for it to turn out a crap shot, or, 'oh, that looks a bad line' only for it to turn out a pretty decent shot :blah: blethering hunette

Just Jimmy
02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
i lost count of the times rhona martin commented on a shot by saying 'oh, that looks like it's going to be a good shot' only for it to turn out a crap shot, or, 'oh, that looks a bad line' only for it to turn out a pretty decent shot :blah: blethering hunette

Everytime they said it was martin and cram, I was shocked only to see colin hendry and cram when the camera was on them.

I don't know where Martin was sitting or why Hendry was so quiet.

Why was radcliffe there? :confused:

--------
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM

I ended up turning the sound down, and working it out for myself.

Ignorant as I am, I think I got on better than listening to the commentary. TBF, I thought Steve Cram got it right more often than his allegedly "expert" colleague.

Everytime they said it was martin and cram, I was shocked only to see colin hendry and cram when the camera was on them.

I don't know where Martin was sitting or why Hendry was so quiet.

Why was radcliffe there? :confused:

He's no half put on weight.... :devil: