PDA

View Full Version : will people still be standing in the new east?

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 08:42 PM
i should hope so, but stewards will probably take this opportunity to clamp down...:boo hoo:

7Hero
22-02-2010, 08:44 PM
considering you will have a perfect view sitting on your arse i would think you wont be standing the whole game.

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 08:45 PM
considering you will have a perfect view sitting on your arse i would think you wont be standing the whole game.

i'm conserned that'll affect the atmosphere (not wanting to put a downer on everything...)

people tend to sing less when they're sitting.

:dunno:

7Hero
22-02-2010, 08:50 PM
i'm conserned that'll affect the atmosphere (not wanting to put a downer on everything...)

you can alwyas stand up to sing then :greengrin

the atmosphere at the ground has been pish recently so it surely can't get any worse. i think having more folk in the one place with the majority of singers still there will probably add to the atmosphere mate, i wouldn't worry too much..

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 08:51 PM
you can alwyas stand up to sing then :greengrin

the atmosphere at the ground has been pish recently so it surely can't get any worse. i think having more folk in the one place with the majority of singers still there will probably add to the atmosphere mate, i wouldn't worry too much..

fairy nuff, hope you're right!:agree:

Owain_1987
22-02-2010, 09:14 PM
If as Hibs fans we all get together to sort out some sort of sing section it will be ok. At Cardiff when they got their new stadium they were told what stand they would not be told to sit in.

The_Todd
22-02-2010, 09:21 PM
i should hope so, but stewards will probably take this opportunity to clamp down...:boo hoo:

Hope so.

And anyway, the owls aren't what they seem.

bigstu
22-02-2010, 09:27 PM
sitting is crap, i hope people continue to stand

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Hope so.

And anyway, the owls aren't what they seem.

is...is that...log lady? :dizzy:

GreenCastle
22-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Imagine the bounce in the NEW EAST.....

Going to be amazing :greengrin

Hibby 2005
22-02-2010, 09:32 PM
What about those people who can't see because of those standing?

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 09:33 PM
same as in the old east -

STAND AS WELL!

bighairyfaeleith
22-02-2010, 09:35 PM

tell them to stand:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Perhaps Hibs should have announced the building of the new East Sit :devil:

Anyway I agree that with the size of the new stand perhaps it would be a good idea if Hibs sold STs for a block rather than individual seats.

Say you have a block of 500 seats but make only 400 of them ST seats, that would give non ST holders a chance to sit with their pals and probably would help the atmosphere.

:rolleyes:

It would also mean that for a lot of games where you have a larger gentleman in the seat next to you, you would have the chance to move along one for more comfort.

Hibby 2005
22-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Some of us are getting on a bit to be standing for 90 mins :greengrin

K.Marx
22-02-2010, 09:48 PM

this is the major problem, i hate sitting at games but if you have bairns or pensioners behind you its not really fair standing for 90 mins... if "singing" sections or whatever you want to call them cant be arranged then i imagine the only answer is folk who want to stand to get seats as near to the back as possible, leaving plenty space for the rest to sit on their erses at the front!!

Ed De Gramo
22-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Calm down, i'll make enough prawn sandwiches to go round :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
22-02-2010, 09:58 PM

West / North stands ?

ER needs the atmosphere for the team :agree:

Moulin Yarns
23-02-2010, 05:21 AM

when I had a ST in the FF I stood at every game, never had a problem with being told to sit down. (it was the back row right enough :greengrin)

capitals_finest
23-02-2010, 06:37 AM
The problem is, after the easties have first choice you will get a lot of westies and northies moving in to get a better view. A lot of these guys will want to sit and there and thic could create some conflict.

I think we the fans should unofficially announce the south half of the east to be standing with the north side for people that like to sit more than stand. thoughts?

PiemanP
23-02-2010, 06:43 AM
If you cant stand for 90 minutes, theres the FF and West stands there.

East is for standing, and hopefully we wont have the 'tap on your shoulder and tell you they cant see, so can you sit down' brigade coming over from other stands!

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 06:54 AM

Westlife don't.

I think we the fans should unofficially announce the south half of the east to be standing with the north side for people that like to sit more than stand. thoughts?

The folk in the North of the East won't be able to see when the ball's at the corner of the South end of the East though - that's what happens in the West at the moment.

Maybe everyone should sit, since it's the law and that?

The_Todd
23-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Westlife don't.

But everyone wishes they would!

Cabbage East
23-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Westlife don't.

The folk in the North of the East won't be able to see when the ball's at the corner of the South end of the East though - that's what happend in the West at the moment.

aye, and singing hurts folks ears and makes it difficult to have a conversation on your mobile, so we should stop that too :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 07:06 AM
aye, and singing hurts folks ears and makes it difficult to have a conversation on your mobile, so we should stop that too :agree:

Mobiles can hurt your ears as well.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Some of us are getting on a bit to be standing for 90 mins :greengrin

Luckily there is the ideal solution then - 3 other stands for you to sit in!

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Luckily there is the ideal solution then - 3 other stands for you to sit in!

There'll soon be 4 stands for this purpose. :agree:

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Westlife don't.

The folk in the North of the East won't be able to see when the ball's at the corner of the South end of the East though - that's what happens in the West at the moment.

Is it really the law? Can you be charged and convicted of standing up?

And when did having to see the ball for every single second of the game become so important?

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 07:15 AM
There'll soon be 4 stands for this purpose. :agree:

If the moaning faced bassas get their way.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 07:17 AM

I don't know but I think you can be chucked out.

If the moaning faced bassas get their way.

Both them and the "law" abiding citizens.

Pretty sure there are plenty "moaning faced bassas" in the legendary atmospheric section of the ground.

Mikey
23-02-2010, 07:18 AM
I posted this on another thread yesterday..........

The issue over standing isn't going to be enforced by Hibs, it'll be enforced by the match commander. He/she is the boss on match day and has the power to abandon the match if necessary.

That's would be pretty extreme, but if we're half a dozen games into the season and people are still standing and dishing out abuse to stewards who ask them to sit down...............

More likely, you would be removed from the stadium and your season ticket will be removed from you!

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 07:30 AM
If a whole section are standing every week, there is no way they are going to abandon matches or throw people out or remove season tickets.

Scaremongering, as per usual.

And for no good reason IMO.

Standing still in front of your seat is not dangerous and nobody is going to persuade me otherwise with arguments like "what if you fall on me and Hibs get sued?".

The_Todd
23-02-2010, 07:47 AM
So in short, it's a ground regulation and the SPL have rules saying fans should sit, but there's no legal requirement. The law says you must have only seated areas, but there's no specific laws on standing.

While it was a legal requirement for a ground to only admit spectators to seated accommodation there was no such requirement to make fans sit.

Mikey
23-02-2010, 07:56 AM
As an alternative, you could always try the common sense approach.

Stand up when you're having a sing song or there's some action going on, but sit down inbetween.

You want common sense from the stewards and police. Why not show some yourselves?

Simply standing for the whole game is just going to bring on confrontation with the authorities and there's only going to be one winner there!

Titch
23-02-2010, 08:14 AM
If you cant stand for 90 minutes, theres the FF and West stands there.

East is for standing, and hopefully we wont have the 'tap on your shoulder and tell you they cant see, so can you sit down' brigade coming over from other stands!

if your standing infront of me and my 5 year old daughter i WILL tap you on the shoulder and POLITELY ask you to sit down.

if you persit on standing i'll TELL you to sit down.

also if i wanted to sit anywhere else in the ground i would :wink:

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 08:38 AM

And when did having to see the ball for every single second of the game become so important?

Its the ground rules, and if you break them you can get emptied out of ER then get banned. And its breaking the law if you dont do something the police ask and you can get arrested. If the police come into the stand and tell you to sit down and you dont adhere you can get arrested.

matty_f
23-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Stand up when you're having a sing song or there's some action going on, but sit down inbetween.

You want common sense from the stewards and police. Why not show some yourselves?

Simply standing for the whole game is just going to bring on confrontation with the authorities and there's only going to be one winner there!

:top marks

Keith_M
23-02-2010, 08:45 AM
How about if something like the back 5-10 rows were all standing?

That way, the rest of the fans could sit down and won't have their view impeded. If you want to stand and NOT get told off by stewards, then don't be stupid enough to do so in the front of the stand. I think the stewards would be willing to tun a blind eye if you're at the back anyway and not blocking someone's view.

AndyB_70
23-02-2010, 08:47 AM
How are the idiots that stand on the seats in front of them going to survive with the new seats. I assume they will the same typeof seats as the other 3 stands. :cool2:
As for standing we always seem to stand for most of the game at the PBS so don't see why it won't be the same for the new East Stand.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 08:49 AM
if your standing infront of me and my 5 year old daughter i WILL tap you on the shoulder and POLITELY ask you to sit down.

And I'd tell you to sit in the family stand.

Never ceases to amaze me how people with kids think they have more rights than anyone else :confused:

I wouldn't go and deliberately stand in front of people in any of the other 3 stands so why is there no compromise the other way?

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 08:52 AM

This is what happens everywhere else anyway though? :confused:

Not sure why standing still for 90 minutes is seen as something other than 'sensible'? IF everyone in the area is happy to stand, I can't see the problem.

Let's forget the 'rules' for a minute (the same rules that have never ever been enforced in the East Stand previously) and just tell me what the problem is with standing in the circumstances I have described?

It's also a rule to be in your seat 15 minutes before kick off and not to be drunk when entering the ground :blah:

If we enforced all of these rules that some of you are so keen to adhere to we'd have about 5000 crowds every week.

Titch
23-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Never ceases to amaze me how people with kids think they have more rights than anyone else :confused:

I wouldn't go and deliberately stand in front of people in any of the other 3 stands so why is there no compromise the other way?

i pay my money to SIT where my ticket tells me to and if i wanted to SIT in the family stand i would HOWEVER I DON'T so i'll SIT in the east as will the folk around me or i'll be ASKING them to sit BEFORE TELLING them if they don't

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 08:54 AM

The rules are set by Hibs, not someone with kids. If you have a beef about it get onto Hibs about it not someone that has kids and IS adehering to the rules and just wants others too. I would like to stand at games, I would like to drink bevvy at the games, but the rules are there and we either need to compain to the proper people and try and get a rule change or try and find a happy medium, like the one Mikey suggested.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 08:58 AM
i pay my money to SIT where my ticket tells me to and if i wanted to SIT in the family stand i would HOWEVER I DON'T so i'll SIT in the east as will the folk around me or i'll be ASKING them to sit BEFORE TELLING them if they don't

So rather than sit in the other 3 stands available to you, you'd rather cause trouble by telling people who have stood in a stand for years to sit down just because YOU decide you want to sit there?

Good luck telling 1000 odd people, you'll miss half the game doing your rounds.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 09:01 AM
The rules are set by Hibs, not someone with kids. If you have a beef about it get onto Hibs about it not someone that has kids and IS adehering to the rules and just wants others too. I would like to stand at games, I would like to drink bevvy at the games, but the rules are there and we either need to compain to the proper people and try and get a rule change or try and find a happy medium, like the one Mikey suggested.

We all know there is no point in complaining though? I just hope the point is made at these fans forums and some sort of singing / standing section is introduced.

There is no need for a rule change if people who want to sit just don't decide to buy their ticket right in the middle of an area where everyone else wants to stand just to be difficult and quote "its the rules" to anyone who dares challenge them.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 09:06 AM
So rather than sit in the other 3 stands available to you, you'd rather cause trouble by telling people who have stood in a stand for years to sit down just because YOU decide you want to sit there?

Good luck telling 1000 odd people, you'll miss half the game doing your rounds.

You will be causing trouble by not adhering to the rules, remember there is going to be a disabled section built in the stand which is apparently not going to be on the front row, would you stand in front of a disabled fan?

You seem to be the only person that has a really big problem about having to sit, or at least the only one voicing about it. But do you live in New Zealand, and I am assuming dont go to the games?

Keith_M
23-02-2010, 09:07 AM

The problem with that is that you don't actually have ANY right to stand, whereas he does have the right to sit down and have an unobstructed view. I can understand you want to have the same experience as you do now but you'll have to accept there needs to be some give and take here. Why don't you ask for a seat in the back row, then you're not blocking anybody's view. Problem solved.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 09:12 AM
The problem with that is that you don't actually have ANY right to stand, whereas he does have the right to sit down and have an unobstructed view. I can understand you want to have the same experience as you do now but you'll have to accept there needs to be some give and take here. Why don't you ask for a seat in the back row, then you're not blocking anybody's view. Problem solved.

Exactly!

I am not suggesting the ENTIRE stand is fair game for standing, but at least an area of it should be IMO. That is precisely the definition of give and take is it not?

It seems with the families and sit down brigade it's just take, take, take?

Additionally, I'd rather not be in the back row as I wouldn't want to be that far back. Plus, there are a whole lot more people who want to stand than the number that would just fill the back row.

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2010, 09:13 AM
You will be causing trouble by not adhering to the rules, remember there is going to be a disabled section built in the stand which is apparently not going to be on the front row, would you stand in front of a disabled fan?

You seem to be the only person that has a really big problem about having to sit, or at least the only one voicing about it. But do you live in New Zealand, and I am assuming dont go to the games?

Great to see that they are building in an incentive scheme.

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Behave yourself. You can clearly see the disabled section in the drawing so of course people who wanted to stand would not stand there. Taking it to ridiculous extremes now I'm afraid.

I'm fairly sure I am not the ONLY Hibs fan on the planet who would like to stand for the whole game.

And yes, I am in New Zealand now (where I stand at games with many others without getting the shoulder tap) but I shall no doubt be back one day to Easter Road and I'd like to enjoy it in the same way as I did before! If I fancied sitting down for the whole game, I'd go to another stand.

Hibernia Na Eir
23-02-2010, 09:15 AM
ive got a feeling the end closest to the SS will have the usual "bamers" standing throughout making loads of noise. Should be cracking !:thumbsup:

the fans who have been in the east terr have all been in there together for a long time now and i dont think they'll want to lose their banter.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Behave yourself. You can clearly see the disabled section in the drawing so of course people who wanted to stand would not stand there. Taking it to ridiculous extremes now I'm afraid.

I'm fairly sure I am not the ONLY Hibs fan on the planet who would like to stand for the whole game.

And yes, I am in New Zealand now (where I stand at games with many others without getting the shoulder tap) but I shall no doubt be back one day to Easter Road and I'd like to enjoy it in the same way as I did before! If I fancied sitting down for the whole game, I'd go to another stand.

I just to get why you are complaing so much, I prefer to stand at games but Hibs have come out and said there wont be any standing allowed, and on speaking to others about this it seems they will enforce this because the stand is steeper and more rows of seats which could be more dangerous. You also said that there would be about 100 people in the east that would want to stand, but what about the people that have to sit next to the 'block that you would want designated for standees'? they would have to stand as well so that they can see past the people standing. I get people want to stand but even if a designated area was made for standing it would still cause problems. I bet there are alot of people in the east just now that would prefer to sit but have to stand because others stand.

In regard to the disabled part, I am not sure if this is it or not as the website said that it will be raised up, you may be right and if it is in the black area then there will be no problem.

joe breezy
23-02-2010, 09:30 AM
The Kop still stands, Man U away always stand

If the support has the balls they will stand, if they are weak little sheep they'll do what they're told

I hope our support has the baws to stand

johnrebus
23-02-2010, 09:48 AM
This has got to be the daftest and most pointless thread ever.

The SPL has an all seater stadia criteria.

Roughly translated, that means that all football clubs playing in the Scottish Premier League must do so in a stadium which contains nothing but SEATS!
If spectators were allowed to stand at games there would be space for spectators to stand, is that really so difficult to understand?

That is how things are. All this macho - ' naebody's gonna tell me whit tae dae', posturing - is getting pretty boring.

:yawn:

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I could seriously see me and a few others chucking it if Hibs enforce this sit down rule. I'm not paying £350 a season to have my enjoyment and match day experience ruined by some wee ****** on £6.50 an hour. Especially seeing as i've stood on that side of the all seated stadium for the last 10 years.

Have common sense Hibs. There is demand for standing, there will be plenty space to allow fans to both stand and sit without there experience ruined.

NOTHING has happened to any clubs who have a large amount of fans standing. Manchester council threatened to close the upper Stretford down as fans stood, that was 5 years ago and the whole Stretford upper aswell as lower stands everyweek. Same with Villa, they were threatened with the Upper Holte getting shut down, that was all bollocks aswell.

Now we've got Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City who have gave designated SINGING sections that stand everyweek without hassle...

'Mon the standers :cool2:

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I just to get why you are complaing so much, I prefer to stand at games but Hibs have come out and said there wont be any standing allowed, and on speaking to others about this it seems they will enforce this because the stand is steeper and more rows of seats which could be more dangerous. You also said that there would be about 100 people in the east that would want to stand, but what about the people that have to sit next to the 'block that you would want designated for standees'? they would have to stand as well so that they can see past the people standing. I get people want to stand but even if a designated area was made for standing it would still cause problems. I bet there are alot of people in the east just now that would prefer to sit but have to stand because others stand.

In regard to the disabled part, I am not sure if this is it or not as the website said that it will be raised up, you may be right and if it is in the black area then there will be no problem.

Utter pish! There is space in all 4 other stands for people who wish to sit.

If there is anyone standing in the East that doesn't want to they are a *** ejjit.

Beefster
23-02-2010, 10:57 AM

This is what happens everywhere else anyway though? :confused:

Not sure why standing still for 90 minutes is seen as something other than 'sensible'? IF everyone in the area is happy to stand, I can't see the problem.

Let's forget the 'rules' for a minute (the same rules that have never ever been enforced in the East Stand previously) and just tell me what the problem is with standing in the circumstances I have described?

It's also a rule to be in your seat 15 minutes before kick off and not to be drunk when entering the ground :blah:

If we enforced all of these rules that some of you are so keen to adhere to we'd have about 5000 crowds every week.

You can't have it both ways. You are either happy for whether you stand or not to be decided to by those around you or you're going to tell folk to move to another stand if they complain (which I don't believe you'll actually do, btw).

As for the entire thread, it was boringly predictable that the 'I dinnae like change, no-one's telling me to sit down' crowd would start bumping their gums once the new stand was announced. Ultimately, you'll all do whatever you're told to by the stewards, club and police. Unless you'll choose standing for 90 mins over watching Hibs.

And this from someone watches from the East and stands most of the time.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I could seriously see me and a few others chucking it if Hibs enforce this sit down rule. I'm not paying £350 a season to have my enjoyment and match day experience ruined by some wee ****** on £6.50 an hour. Especially seeing as i've stood on that side of the all seated stadium for the last 10 years.

And you call yourself a fan? :rolleyes:

What's the steward's wages got to do with it?

MSK
23-02-2010, 11:06 AM

So tell me ..when you are approached by this so-called wee **** on £6.50 an hour who is only doing his/her job & tells you to sit on yer erse..what exactly are you gonna do ?

Titch
23-02-2010, 11:21 AM
So tell me ..when you are approached by this so-called wee **** on £6.50 an hour who is only doing his/her job & tells you to sit on yer erse..what exactly are you gonna do ?

he'll do ****** all because just like the rest of the internet hard men they talk the talk and thats it:bye:

HibeeDaz6270
23-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Utter pish! There is space in all 4 other stands for people who wish to sit.

If there is anyone standing in the East that doesn't want to they are a *** ejjit.

If the stand was for " standing " it would have NO SEATS. There is alot of people who for many reasons cannot or do not want to stand for the full game, but why should they miss out on the excitement and the experience of taking a seat in the new stand at easter road?

I have no problem with people standing, but to be honest, there is no need to stand for the full game, and anyone saying i will consider not going back, it is nothing short of pathetic. I can guarantee the majority of supporters will sit, so all those saying they wish to stand for the full game, will just look stupid. Its not the east terracing anymore, with pillars infront of u etc etc anymore, deal with it.

ChooseLife
23-02-2010, 11:49 AM
he'll do ****** all because just like the rest of the internet hard men they talk the talk and thats it:bye:
ha! "Before TELLING them to sit" :bye:

You and daughter are not welcome in the East if you'll be askng everyone to sit down, some of us like to stand and bounce about. :thumbsup:

Taking your daughter to a stand full of grizzly men screaming abuse at officials/players? Nice....:rolleyes:

Steve20
23-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Once people are told to sit down, they will do so. I stand at the moment but if that's not allowed in the new stand then so be it.

To stop going to the football because you have to sit down in an all seated stadium is mental.

Beefster
23-02-2010, 12:09 PM

You and daughter are not welcome in the East if you'll be askng everyone to sit down, some of us like to stand and bounce about. :thumbsup:

Taking your daughter to a stand full of grizzly men screaming abuse at officials/players? Nice....:rolleyes:

I fancy Hibs' official position is that they're welcome wherever they fancy, as long as they're paying for it.

As for the bit in bold, that says more about some folk at the game than it ever would about a parent wanting to take their kids to see Hibs.

ChooseLife
23-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I fancy Hibs' official position is that they're welcome wherever they fancy, as long as they're paying for it.

As for the bit in bold, that says more about some folk at the game than it ever would about a parent wanting to take their kids to see Hibs.
Maybe so, but it's always been known as the rougher of the 4 stands, I don't see it changing when it gets re-built, why take your 5 year old kid into there when theres a fantastic family stand to sit in?

HibeeDaz6270
23-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe so, but it's always been known as the rougher of the 4 stands, I don't see it changing when it gets re-built, why take your 5 year old kid into there when theres a fantastic family stand to sit in?
I wonder what stand the 5year old kid will want to go to? I am guessing like all hibs fans, especially a young boy, would be quite exciting about going to the NEW east stand. Why should he miss out?

col02
23-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder what stand the 5year old kid will want to go to? I am guessing like all hibs fans, especially a young boy, would be quite exciting about going to the NEW east stand. Why should he miss out?

Maybe because he does not dress up in all the latest designer gear and sing songs about dead people. :devil:

MSK
23-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I wonder what stand the 5year old kid will want to go to? I am guessing like all hibs fans, especially a young boy, would be quite exciting about going to the NEW east stand. Why should he miss out?I used to take my oldest Daughter to the East when she was between 10 & 12 yo....compared to the other stands she liked going to the East..in fact she loved it, esp the sing songs !! :agree:

ChooseLife
23-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I thought of it the other way round, why would the 5 year old girl want to listen to people screaming and swearing for 90 mins? And what's her first memory of the new east going to be? watching her dad going through the stand asking people to sit down?

MSK
23-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I thought of it the other way round, why would the 5 year old girl want to listen to people screaming and swearing for 90 mins? And what's her first memory of the new east going to be? watching her dad going through the stand asking people to sit down?Jeezo ..you would think that only happens in the East the way you were going on !!! :rolleyes:

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2010, 12:31 PM
And you call yourself a fan? :rolleyes:

What's the steward's wages got to do with it?

Having actually been to 99% of Hibs games over the past decade, unlike the vast majority on here who goto Hampden and Tynie, then aye, I would call myself a fan. :cool2:

Tell him to ****** off? Walk out? Sit down? Or even ignore him and keep standing like Motherwell on Sat? Un-decided yet.

:faf::dummytit:

If the stand was for " standing " it would have NO SEATS. There is alot of people who for many reasons cannot or do not want to stand for the full game, but why should they miss out on the excitement and the experience of taking a seat in the new stand at easter road?

I have no problem with people standing, but to be honest, there is no need to stand for the full game, and anyone saying i will consider not going back, it is nothing short of pathetic. I can guarantee the majority of supporters will sit, so all those saying they wish to stand for the full game, will just look stupid. Its not the east terracing anymore, with pillars infront of u etc etc anymore, deal with it.

Then they move elsewhere, where they can sit :rolleyes:

I've talked about this issue on the odd occassion for months with best mates and family who are ST holders in the East to random lads up and down boozers in Leith who all agree that they will miss standing and hope that, that end of the east continues to stand, guys from their late 50's to guys in their teens. Not heard a bad word about standing at the fitba at all infact at the actual games, only on the internet by the same predictable folk who I think dinnae even go to games. Laughable really :faf:

Hermit Crab
23-02-2010, 12:35 PM
The Kop still stands, Man U away always stand

If the support has the balls they will stand, if they are weak little sheep they'll do what they're told

I hope our support has the baws to stand

That goes for the hibs away support aswell :greengrin

Beefster
23-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Having actually been to 99% of Hibs games over the past decade, unlike the vast majority on here who goto Hampden and Tynie, then aye, I would call myself a fan. :cool2:

Tell him to ****** off? Walk out? Sit down? Or even ignore him and keep standing like Motherwell on Sat? Un-decided yet.

:faf::dummytit:

Then they move elsewhere, where they can sit :rolleyes:

I've talked about this issue on the odd occassion for months with best mates and family who are ST holders in the East to random lads up and down boozers in Leith who all agree that they will miss standing and hope that, that end of the east continues to stand, guys from their late 50's to guys in their teens. Not heard a bad word about standing at the fitba at all infact at the actual games, only on the internet by the same predictable folk who I think dinnae even go to games. Laughable really :faf:

I don't think anyone is saying it's a 'bad thing'. Just that the folk that say "I won't sit down, at any point, for anyone" or "I won't be back if I can't stand all the time" are being a bit drama-queen-ish.

If an old guy with arthitis, but who loves the Hibs and has been going to the East for decades (I'll ignore the myth that everyone in the East stands all the time), ends up behind you, are you going to give it to him tight if he asks you to sit down?

MSK
23-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Oh your a real rebel eh !!....so yer gonna make a fanny of yourself in front of thousands of others just because ...you will be told to sit on yer erse !! oh deary ****ing me ..stop the world i wanna get off !!!! 5472

ChooseLife
23-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeezo ..you would think that only happens in the East the way you were going on !!! :rolleyes:
I think that anyone should be allowed to do what they want, but when it's just to be akward and make a point like the poster "Twitch" is I'm obviously going to make valid points as to why he'd be better off in a family stand, I'm not saying the East is like Iraq, but why go just to annoy people who have been there for years?, he aint thinking about his daughter IMO.

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Surely it comes down to choice, doesn't it? At Easter Road you have a choice of three 'family-friendly' stands, if you are concerned about a restricted view, or even some of the language etc. Or you can choose the less 'family-friendly' East Stand - but in doing so surely you must have weighed up the pros and cons, and decided that you were happy with the existing situation, otherwise why would you have made that choice in the first place? :confused:

Now I'm fully aware that many of you disapprove of standing at football matches, politically incorrect songs, general rowdy behaviour and all the rest of it, but isn't choosing to sit amongst people behaving in exactly the way you deplore - just to make a point - perhaps a little bit petty and bloody-minded? :dunno:

I'm sure some young kids do love the East Stand atmosphere, just as some adults do, while others don't. But being dragged along just so that daddy can 'prove he's right', doesn't seem fair to me. :rules:

To use an analogy, I get the bus to work, and quite often there will be a bunch of noisy teenagers up the back, playing 'music' from their mobile phones etc. They irritate me, I'll be honest. So instead of choosing to sit in their vicinity up the back, I choose to sit away from them, where they are less of a nuisance to me. Of course I could be bloody-minded about it, and sit right next to them, tutting loudly and glaring my disapproval, because after all 'I have just as much right as them to sit there', but why would I? Why would I ruin both our journeys and make an issue out of it, when I have the choice of sitting elsewhere? If there weren't any other seats, then obviously that would pose a problem, but my point is that at Easter Road you do have the choice of sitting elsewhere.

ChooseLife
23-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Surely it comes down to choice, doesn't it? At Easter Road you have a choice of three 'family-friendly' stands, if you are concerned about a restricted view, or even some of the language etc. Or you can choose the less 'family-friendly' East Stand - but in doing so surely you must have weighed up the pros and cons, and decided that you were happy with the existing situation, otherwise why would you have made that choice in the first place? :confused:

Now I'm fully aware that many of you disapprove of standing at football matches, politically incorrect songs, general rowdy behaviour and all the rest of it, but isn't choosing to sit amongst people behaving in exactly the way you deplore - just to make a point - perhaps a little bit petty and bloody-minded? :dunno:

I'm sure some young kids do love the East Stand atmosphere, just as some adults do, while others don't. But being dragged along just so that daddy can 'prove he's right', doesn't seem fair to me. :rules:

To use an analogy, I get the bus to work, and quite often there will be a bunch of noisy teenagers up the back, playing 'music' from their mobile phones etc. They irritate me, I'll be honest. So instead of choosing to sit in their vicinity up the back, I choose to sit away from them, where they are less of a nuisance to me. Of course I could be bloody-minded about it, and sit right next to them, tutting loudly and glaring my disapproval, because after all 'I have just as much right as them to sit there', but why would I? Why would I ruin both our journeys and make an issue out of it, when I have the choice of sitting elsewhere? If there weren't any other seats, then obviously that would pose a problem, but my point is that at Easter Road you do have the choice of sitting elsewhere.
:top marks love the teenagers on the back of the bus analogy:thumbsup:

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-02-2010, 01:03 PM
This has got to be the daftest and most pointless thread ever.

The SPL has an all seater stadia criteria.

Roughly translated, that means that all football clubs playing in the Scottish Premier League must do so in a stadium which contains nothing but SEATS!
If spectators were allowed to stand at games there would be space for spectators to stand, is that really so difficult to understand?

That is how things are. All this macho - ' naebody's gonna tell me whit tae dae', posturing - is getting pretty boring.

:yawn:

Nonsence, all seater stadiums mean there are no metal barriers for bodies to get crushed into and it also means stricter controls over the number of people permitted into a stand. I, along with thousands of others have stood in our all seater stadium for yrs now, at absolutely no point have Hibs told anyone that were breaking any rules. I had a season ticket in the Famous Five for eight years with my dad whilst I was growing up. My old man is now involved in golf competitions most Saturdays so doesnt have his season ticket. For the lst 7 or so seasons I have stood in the East with my mates. I personally wouldnt have wanted to be in amongest the East regulars aged 5 and why anyone would want to take their 5 yr old into that stand when there are two excellent family stands is absolutely beyond me!!! Standing issue aside, I wouldnt want my young kid listening to the language in that stand...or maybe we should now ban swearing as well?!?! If im politely asked to sit down by a policeman nxt season then ill do it. Im not some trouble maker who's gonna risk getting thrown out for the sake of standing. But I think in the current context, when our atmosphere is as poor as I can ever remember it, we should be doing all we can to improve the atmosphere!

_hucks_
23-02-2010, 01:12 PM

:top marks I hate the attitude that stewards get on here, I had the job for a while and hated having to tell folks to sit down etc when I knew fine well i'd be one of the ones standing if I was at the game. As you say these folks are just doing their jobs and following orders. And for the record, they're even worse paid than has been suggested.

In the past, it has been acknowledged that a section of the east stands, and stewards are told not to intervene. The north end of the stand traditionally normally sits, however, and I would hope that folks that want to sit would have the common sense to get a ticket at that end of the stand. That said, if theres someone behind you who wants to/has to sit, then the person in front is obliged to do so without giving a whole lot of attitude. When I was last at the PBS, me and my brother had an old boy behind us who asked if we could sit, we duely obliged, but the guys in front of us were complete uncooperative a**eholes when we explained it, and thats really not on. I think that situation actually gives a perfect example of why there should be standing sections officially allowed in football grounds, so that people have the choice and you wont have sitting folk hindered by standers and vice verca.

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think anyone is saying it's a 'bad thing'. Just that the folk that say "I won't sit down, at any point, for anyone" or "I won't be back if I can't stand all the time" are being a bit drama-queen-ish.

If an old guy with arthitis, but who loves the Hibs and has been going to the East for decades (I'll ignore the myth that everyone in the East stands all the time), ends up behind you, are you going to give it to him tight if he asks you to sit down?

Then the old guy with arthitis doesn't get a ticket in that end of the ground? Like how he wouldn't now. Its not rocket science.

Everyone at ER is catered for bar the standers/singers. As I said in an earlier post, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal have designated singing areas where standing is tolerated but not promoted. They made these 2-3 blocks of seats singing sections to a) give that type of fan a place to go and b) give someone who can't or won't stand the choice to not go where standing will take place.

No-one is asking for the whole east to stand, no-one is wanting the seats ripped out, but a simple 'block 42-43 are singing sections' from Hibs would be more than enough to keep everyone right. If you want to stand go there, if your 4 foot 1 or an auld dude with a dodgy ankle or talking the bairns with ye, don't goto block 42-43, go elsewhere, which you would have to do now.

People often go on about people standing at football are in inconvience, TBH surely the biggest inconvience is those moaning about it, espeically seeing as 99% of our games there are plenty seats to move to. Motherwell on Saturday was a prime example, block to the far right was standing, some daftie moaning for folk to sit down, ok he didn't want to stand, fair enough, but instead of trying to get 100+ folk to sit down, surely the easiest thing to do would've have been for him to move down 5 rows where everyone was sitting?

hibeemark sums it up very well in his post :top marks

Disc O'Dave
23-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Surely it comes down to choice, doesn't it? At Easter Road you have a choice of three 'family-friendly' stands, if you are concerned about a restricted view, or even some of the language etc. Or you can choose the less 'family-friendly' East Stand - but in doing so surely you must have weighed up the pros and cons, and decided that you were happy with the existing situation, otherwise why would you have made that choice in the first place?[/I] :confused:

To use an analogy, I get the bus to work, and quite often there will be a bunch of noisy teenagers up the back, playing 'music' from their mobile phones etc. They irritate me, I'll be honest. So instead of [I]choosing to sit in their vicinity up the back, I choose to sit away from them, where they are less of a nuisance to me. Of course I could be bloody-minded about it, and sit right next to them, tutting loudly and glaring my disapproval, because after all 'I have just as much right as them to sit there', but why would I? Why would I ruin both our journeys and make an issue out of it, when I have the choice of sitting elsewhere? If there weren't any other seats, then obviously that would pose a problem, but my point is that at Easter Road you do have the choice of sitting elsewhere.

First point in bold - COST. The East is currently the cheapest option. We moved across to the West when it was built, but found the price prohibitive when it kept rising, hence the return to the East. Whether you agree with standing or not, you can't make such a blase statement about why people would choose to sit where they do.

To back that up, your second point in bold - did the bus driver ask you to fork out more for that privelidge?

For the record, I'm in the back row, and stand on my seat - I know I'm not obstructing anyones view. I can't see the scoreboard, any corners taken from the corner of the East and Dunbar, or in fact any action down that wing pretty much after the TV gantry. I stand because I have to, to be able to see.

I suggest that the majority of those who stand in the east do so out of necessity, and it's a hardcore who do so out of choice. To that end, it'll be a very small minority out of 6,500 seats in the new stand. So what you are saying is that over 5,500 people should have to sit elsewhere to keep less than 1000 people happy?

Why people feel it's anatomically impossible to have a good time whilst sitting down is beyond me, but each to their own.

I can't wait for the new stand to allow me to stay seated for the majority of the game - but no doubt will be on my feet when we are bombing down the wings, taking corners, and any other exciting action. To me seeing a whole stand rise as one from seated to standing adds more to the excitement and atmosphere than one where pockets are already on their feet.

K.Marx
23-02-2010, 01:26 PM
No-one is asking for the whole east to stand, no-one is wanting the seats ripped out, but a simple 'block 42-43 are singing sections' from Hibs would be more than enough to keep everyone right.

:agree: exactly, win win situation for everybody.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Then the old guy with arthitis doesn't get a ticket in that end of the ground? Like how he wouldn't now. Its not rocket science.

Everyone at ER is catered for bar the standers/singers. As I said in an earlier post, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal have designated singing areas where standing is tolerated but not promoted. They made these 2-3 blocks of seats singing sections to a) give that type of fan a place to go and b) give someone who can't or won't stand the choice to not go where standing will take place.

No-one is asking for the whole east to stand, no-one is wanting the seats ripped out, but a simple 'block 42-43 are singing sections' from Hibs would be more than enough to keep everyone right. If you want to stand go there, if your 4 foot 1 or an auld dude with a dodgy ankle or talking the bairns with ye, don't goto block 42-43, go elsewhere, which you would have to do now.

People often go on about people standing at football are in inconvience, TBH surely the biggest inconvience is those moaning about it, espeically seeing as 99% of our games there are plenty seats to move to. Motherwell on Saturday was a prime example, block to the far right was standing, some daftie moaning for folk to sit down, ok he didn't want to stand, fair enough, but instead of trying to get 100+ folk to sit down, surely the easiest thing to do would've have been for him to move down 5 rows where everyone was sitting?

hibeemark sums it up very well in his post :top marks

As I have said before I dont think there will be 6400 fans that want to stand the whole game, I reckon about 1000 fans. If part of the east stand will be open to away fans, like Celtic and Rangers to make sure the stadium is filled, then the standees of which there will be about 1000 will need to stand in the middle of the stand. If thats the case they will obstruct everyone elses view that want to sit down. Right now when you look at the stand from the west there is only about half of it standing, so already there are people in there that prefer to sit.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Personally I couldn't care less if people stand or not but given the fact that there will be a disabled section in the new stand, I will probably move over there once it is built.

If the people in the row in front of the wheelchair section are far enough down that even if they stand up I can still see the game (as it is at Dunfermline and Rangers) then they can stand all they want, like I say I couldn't care less.

If, however, the people in the row in front stand up and they are not far enough down for my view to be unrestricted (as it is at Hearts) then unfortunately I would need to ask those people if they would kindly sit down. If they don't oblige to that polite request, I would be forced into asking a police officer/stewart to intervene.

For me personally, that would be a last resort and I would hope that most people would be quite understanding of my original request.

col02
23-02-2010, 01:37 PM
As has already been mentioned there is circa 1,000 people at most at present who will likely want to continue standing once the East has been rebuilt. I would suggest either the block nearest the FF be designated for this or the understanding that the seats right up the back are allowed for this. No way should any Tom, Dick and Harry think they can stand anywhere they want though thus restricting the view of those people who do not need to stand at football matches to enjoy themselves. There is no reason in the slightest why a compromise and understanding cannot be reached and adhered to making the new stand a place of enjoyment for all who reside in it.

_hucks_
23-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Personally I couldn't care less if people stand or not but given the fact that there will be a disabled section in the new stand, I will probably move over there once it is built.

If the people in the row in front of the wheelchair section are far enough down that even if they stand up I can still see the game (as it is at Dunfermline and Rangers) then they can stand all they want, like I say I couldn't care less.

If, however, the people in the row in front stand up and they are not far enough down for my view to be unrestricted (as it is at Hearts) then unfortunately I would need to ask those people if they would kindly sit down. If they don't oblige to that polite request, I would be forced into asking a police officer/stewart to intervene.

For me personally, that would be a last resort and I would hope that most people would be quite understanding of my original request.

Used to really get my goat working at tynie when folks in front of disabled folk who were saying they couldn't see refused to sit down. Bloody cretins. Heres hoping the design of the stand doesn't make it an issue though.

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Since the guidelines regarding H&S that are being referenced, have already been in place for some time (but clearly haven't been enforced) the argument against folk standing seems pretty much the same as it ever was ie 'we disapprove of how you behave, and we will quote the rulebook at you until you fall asleep'. :blah:

Perhaps some folk just want their choice of seat to be entirely arbitrary, as in 'I like the look of that shiny plastic, I'll sit there', but the fact is when you choose a seat, it's bit like choosing your house in a way - of course the thing itself is important, but surely you take the area into account too?

That's your responsibility though, when you make that choice. If everywhere was the same, and everybody behaved the same way, it wouldn't be a choice then, would it?

To say 'I want the East Stand to be the same as the West or FF' is to say 'I don't want to have to take responsibility for my choice'.

Philosophy lecture over. What have I been smoking today? :faf:

Seriously though, I realise internet messageboards are for the most part fuelled by self-righteous indignation, but how about a little tolerance? We may all be Hibs fans, but we aren't (and shouldn't be) all the same, and just because someone behaves differently from you at a football match, doesn't mean they don't have the right to be there too. Nobody is suggesting Easter Road should be 'all standing; no kids', but plenty of you seem quite happy with the idea of 'all seating; nobody I disapprove of', and I'm afraid to say that the only way you are ever going to achieve that is sat in front of the telly (although to be fair, there are often folk I disapprove of, lurking about, even then :wink:).

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2010, 01:44 PM
As I have said before I dont think there will be 6400 fans that want to stand the whole game, I reckon about 1000 fans. If part of the east stand will be open to away fans, like Celtic and Rangers to make sure the stadium is filled, then the standees of which there will be about 1000 will need to stand in the middle of the stand. If thats the case they will obstruct everyone elses view that want to sit down. Right now when you look at the stand from the west there is only about half of it standing, so already there are people in there that prefer to sit.

Old Firm and Hearts shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the East.

We rarely sellout games against Rangers and Celtic now and they don't get extra seats so they shouldn't now.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Old Firm and Hearts shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the East.

We rarely sellout games against Rangers and Celtic now and they don't get extra seats so they shouldn't now.

EXACTLY! Hibs would get extra money if the old firm bought more tickets! right now they dont get extra seats as there is no way of segregation at the back of the east, there may be the possibility of this in the new east.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Since the guidelines regarding H&S that are being referenced, have already been in place for some time (but clearly haven't been enforced) the argument against folk standing seems pretty much the same as it ever was ie 'we disapprove of how you behave, and we will quote the rulebook at you until you fall asleep'. :blah:

Perhaps some folk just want their choice of seat to be entirely arbitrary, as in 'I like the look of that shiny plastic, I'll sit there', but the fact is when you choose a seat, it's bit like choosing your house in a way - of course the thing itself is important, but surely you take the area into account too?

That's your responsibility though, when you make that choice. If everywhere was the same, and everybody behaved the same way, it wouldn't be a choice then, would it?

To say 'I want the East Stand to be the same as the West or FF' is to say 'I don't want to have to take responsibility for my choice'.

Philosophy lecture over. What have I been smoking today? :faf:

Seriously though, I realise internet messageboards are for the most part fuelled by self-righteous indignation, but how about a little tolerance? We may all be Hibs fans, but we aren't (and shouldn't be) all the same, and just because someone behaves differently from you at a football match, doesn't mean they don't have the right to be there too. Nobody is suggesting Easter Road should be 'all standing; no kids', but plenty of you seem quite happy with the idea of 'all seating; nobody I disapprove of', and I'm afraid to say that the only way you are ever going to achieve that is sat in front of the telly (although to be fair, there are often folk I disapprove of, lurking about, even then :wink:).

You are right in that we should be tolerant of each other, but standing does effect the people that want to sit during the games. People would need to stand to see past the people that are standing. Right now its tolerated as its not a lot of people, and its not that steep. When its built it will be steep and there will be a lot more effected. The standees are in the minority, maybe even in the minority in the east stand currently as people probably have to stand just to see but if given the choice they will probably sit, bear in mind there are only around 1500 ST holders in the east currently meaning that more than half of the people in there are walk ups. Smoking was banned, people moaned but it happened, yes standing was banned and we still stand but if they enforce it then we will just need to accept it. People talking about giving up watching the football if they were made to sit is just crazy!

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 02:11 PM
You are right in that we should be tolerant of each other, but standing does effect the people that want to sit during the games.

Only if they choose to sit in that particular place. Do you see my point? The people standing have chosen to stand where it is accepted for that very reason. Those that want to sit should likewise choose their seats where sitting is more prevalent. That way, everyone's happy. Problems only arise when folk who want to sit, choose to do so in an accepted 'standing area'.

If you want to sit (or indeed stand) at the football, it is your own responsibility to choose an appropriate area to do so. Don't blame anyone else.

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Only if they choose to sit in that particular place. Do you see my point? The people standing have chosen to stand where it is accepted for that very reason. Those that want to sit should likewise choose their seats where sitting is more prevalent. That way, everyone's happy. Problems only arise when folk who want to sit, choose to do so in an accepted 'standing area'.

If you want to sit (or indeed stand) at the football, it is your own responsibility to choose an appropriate area to do so. Don't blame anyone else.

I don understand what your saying and agree with it, what I dont agree with though is that the stand sits 6400 people and there probably only be 1000-2000 people wanting to stand. If they stand the people next to them have to stand to see past them thus making it unfair. If the majority of 6400 people wanted to stand then fair enough, but I dont think you would get 3000 people wanting to stand week in week out.

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I don understand what your saying and agree with it, what I dont agree with though is that the stand sits 6400 people and there probably only be 1000-2000 people wanting to stand. If they stand the people next to them have to stand to see past them thus making it unfair. If the majority of 6400 people wanted to stand then fair enough, but I dont think you would get 3000 people wanting to stand week in week out.

What currently happens in the East is that the middle section is pretty well defined as the 'standing area'. I like to stand, so therefore when I book my ticket, I specifically ask for that area. The reason I do that is I understand how at the edges folk tend to sit with their kids, and I wouldn't feel comfortable being the only one standing.

When on occasion I have sat towards the edges of the East my view hasn't been obstructed until the ball is at the far corner, but that has more to do with the pillars and the angle of the stand than because of anyone standing, I think. Everyone tends to stand up anyway and peer across, regardless of vantage point, when something exciting is happening at either end.

I don't see how building a new East Stand changes any of this. :dunno:

AgentDaleCooper
23-02-2010, 02:44 PM

what i'm saying is that you're less likely to START singing if you're seated - people standing are more likely to spontaniously burst into song. do you know what i mean?

i'm just concerned that the supposed "common sense" approach would result in easter road's atmosphere suffering (though i do see your point, i'm not saying people should start riots if asked to sit down).

i just hope people stand:thumbsup:

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 02:46 PM
What currently happens in the East is that the middle section is pretty well defined as the 'standing area'. I like to stand, so therefore when I book my ticket, I specifically ask for that area. The reason I do that is I understand how at the edges folk tend to sit with their kids, and I wouldn't feel comfortable being the only one standing.

When on occasion I have sat towards the edges of the East my view hasn't been obstructed until the ball is at the far corner, but that has more to do with the pillars and the angle of the stand than because of anyone standing, I think. Everyone tends to stand up anyway and peer across, regardless of vantage point, when something exciting is happening at either end.

I don't see how building a new East Stand changes any of this. :dunno:

Well I know people that have sat in there towards the north end and their view has been obstructed by people standing. It all depends on how many people are in there and how close to the people standing you are. I dont doubt that people sitting right next to the north will be that effected but people closer in will be effected. Standing right in the middle of the stand is probably the worst place to stand as it effects more people. My point is that I think the standees are in the minority. I dont have a problem with standing if it never effected anyone, but it can and often it does. People have the right to sit anywhere in accordance with the rules and the only ones that are stopping this is the people standing. Things like this have happened before and people need to adapt. (Drinking at games and smoking).

skipster7
23-02-2010, 02:49 PM
im sure we all had a hoot and a great atmosphere while seated at hampden on march 18th 2007, whats the difference? most will stand when somethings happening or singing and sit down when its not.:confused:the same as all the stands.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I hope the club and the Police start from day one forcing people to sit or remove them from the ground if they fail to comply. The same with drinking and smoking it does my nut in when erseholes think they can flaunt the rules or break the law. Stand up by me and YOU WILL BE TOLD AND THEN END UP SEATED ON YER ERSE. :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
23-02-2010, 02:56 PM
just to put an end to that other discussion than some people said was getting pointless, probably is, i dunno - i'm just curious as to how people feel about it.

i think standing is an important factor in the east's atmosphere, it keeps people on edge to start singing at any given moment. if everyone's sitting, we'll have another west stand. that's what i reckon.

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Well I know people that have sat in there towards the north end and their view has been obstructed by people standing. It all depends on how many people are in there and how close to the people standing you are. I dont doubt that people sitting right next to the north will be that effected but people closer in will be effected. Standing right in the middle of the stand is probably the worst place to stand as it effects more people. My point is that I think the standees are in the minority. I dont have a problem with standing if it never effected anyone, but it can and often it does. People have the right to sit anywhere in accordance with the rules and the only ones that are stopping this is the people standing. Things like this have happened before and people need to adapt. (Drinking at games and smoking).

All I can say about that, is I've managed to find a seat before where my view wasn't blocked by this minority of standers (a minority who do most of the singing for the entire stadium, it should be noted), so perhaps it's really up to your friends to find 'better seats'. That's what I would do, anyway.

As far as comparing this to banning smoking and drinking (two things which have a direct effect on one's health, while standing does not), I might as well use that argument to have kids banned from matches. I could say I've had matches ruined for me by kids running around screaming, going to the toilet every five minutes, constantly pleading with their parents for food etc etc.

But I don't want kids banned from matches. Or smelly people. Or swearing. Or standing. Or anything else. Because part of enjoying a public event is tolerating how others behave, in the hope that they will tolerate our own little idiosyncrasies too. It's basic social interaction.

AgentDaleCooper
23-02-2010, 03:04 PM
poll (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=175891)

HFC 0-7
23-02-2010, 03:12 PM
All I can say about that, is I've managed to find a seat before where my view wasn't blocked by this minority of standers (a minority who do most of the singing for the entire stadium, it should be noted), so perhaps it's really up to your friends to find 'better seats'. That's what I would do, anyway.

As far as comparing this to banning smoking and drinking (two things which have a direct effect on one's health, while standing does not), I might as well use that argument to have kids banned from matches. I could say I've had matches ruined for me by kids running around screaming, going to the toilet every five minutes, constantly pleading with their parents for food etc etc.

But I don't want kids banned from matches. Or smelly people. Or swearing. Or standing. Or anything else. Because part of enjoying a public event is tolerating how others behave, in the hope that they will tolerate our own little idiosyncrasies too. It's basic social interaction.

I never said I wanted standing banned, I just said that things have been banned in the past, it annoyed people but we just got on with it. And this, we need to stand thing, I just dont get. I have been to loads of grounds where the fans are sitting and there is plenty of singing! A lot of people I have spoke to that stand currently in the east said they will probably sit now because they only stood because of poor views caused by either people standing or other things being in the way. The thing about this is, the people that want to sit are well within their rights, the people that stand arent. The people that want to sit CANT see if they end up behind or near someone that is standing, the people that want to stand can see whether they sit or stand. IMO the atmosphere is rank at ER and it has nothing to do with people sitting or standing, it is just people not singing. Yes the east sing more than anywhere else but they can do this sitting as well.

Barney McGrew
23-02-2010, 03:26 PM
There seems to be an awful lot of non-East standites getting a bit uppity IMO.

As others have pointed out, the 'standing' section in the East has been there for years, and people who inhabit it choose to go there knowing full well that is the case. I would assume that those who want to sit down during the game choose to sit elsewhere knowing full well that they couldn't if they bought a seat for that area.

It would seem to me it's quite clear. If you want to sit to watch the game, there will be plenty of seats in other stands, and in other areas of the East that you can go to. While I can see the point raised, it's still unfair of people who are planning to move from other stands to those sections in the new East to expect those who've been there for years to change their habits simply so they can have a shiny new seat.

If you want to sit in peace, sit where you are just now :devil:

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I never said I wanted standing banned, I just said that things have been banned in the past, it annoyed people but we just got on with it. And this, we need to stand thing, I just dont get. I have been to loads of grounds where the fans are sitting and there is plenty of singing! A lot of people I have spoke to that stand currently in the east said they will probably sit now because they only stood because of poor views caused by either people standing or other things being in the way. The thing about this is, the people that want to sit are well within their rights, the people that stand arent. The people that want to sit CANT see if they end up behind or near someone that is standing, the people that want to stand can see whether they sit or stand. IMO the atmosphere is rank at ER and it has nothing to do with people sitting or standing, it is just people not singing. Yes the east sing more than anywhere else but they can do this sitting as well.

So you just think it's okay to ban anything, assuming that people will eventually forget about it anyway? I think we have a word for that kind of ideology. It's 'fascism'. :wink:

You also dismiss the correlation between standing and atmosphere, despite conceding that it is the standing section in the East who do most of the singing. Is it just coincidence, then? :dunno:

Mikey
23-02-2010, 03:40 PM
There seems to be an awful lot of non-East standites getting a bit uppity IMO.

As others have pointed out, the 'standing' section in the East has been there for years, and people who inhabit it choose to go there knowing full well that is the case. I would assume that those who want to sit down during the game choose to sit elsewhere knowing full well that they couldn't if they bought a seat for that area.

It would seem to me it's quite clear. If you want to sit to watch the game, there will be plenty of seats in other stands, and in other areas of the East that you can go to. While I can see the point raised, it's still unfair of people who are planning to move from other stands to those sections in the new East to expect those who've been there for years to change their habits simply so they can have a shiny new seat.

We need to wait and see what comes out of the fans forums, but it's important that the east is given every chance to be as noisy as possible.

There are plenty of fans in the north and the west who like a good sing song and getting all of these people together is important.

If you don't like standing up a lot, don't like too much noise and don't like the odd sweary word the east stand probably isn't the place for you.

ronaldo7
23-02-2010, 03:41 PM

You'll be fine:thumbsup:

The disabled slots in the new stand (16) are situated in the lower part of the stand. The stand has 4 rows of seats the full length, apart from the area where the cameras are situated and the disabled areas.

In these areas the rows revert to 3, enabling the view to be unimpeded.

Disc O'Dave
23-02-2010, 03:43 PM
So you just think it's okay to ban anything, assuming that people will eventually forget about it anyway? I think we have a word for that kind of ideology. It's 'fascism'. :wink:

You also dismiss the correlation between standing and atmosphere, despite conceding that it is the standing section in the East who do most of the singing. Is it just coincidence, then? :dunno:

No he didn't - he said it was the East who did most of the singing NOT the standing section alone. Technically.

I think you might also find that agreeing to the majority view on something is often referred to as a democracy :wink:

.SeventyFive
23-02-2010, 03:48 PM
We need to wait and see what comes out of the fans forums, but it's important that the east is given every chance to be as noisy as possible.

There are plenty of fans in the north and the west who like a good sing song and getting all of these people together is important.

If you don't like standing up a lot, don't like too much noise and don't like the odd sweary word the east stand probably isn't the place for you.

This is why I think the atmosphere will improve despite the potential lack of standing. I for one didn't enjoy the lack of a view in the old East and chose to sit elsewhere, however as I like a good sing I will definately be shifting to the new one with the combination of comfort and volume once it's built and hopefully many more will follow suit.

hibeemark
23-02-2010, 04:04 PM
No he didn't - he said it was the East who did most of the singing NOT the standing section alone. Technically.

I think you might also find that agreeing to the majority view on something is often referred to as a democracy :wink:

haha well I would dispute that the folk sitting at the edges of the East contribute any more to the atmosphere than the FF or West, to be honest. :devil:

As for your second point, I often find the discrepancy amusing between your average guy at the match, and your various online Victor Meldrews posting here and of course all the other messageboards. I don't believe for a moment the majority of football fans are at all bothered about this, or indeed many of the other issues that folk complain about endlessly online. :blah:

Why do I think that? Because if you look at any messageboard, you have folk complaining about this and that, as if it's the end of the world. Take Keekback - they have exactly the same conversations over there, in some cases word for word. People love to moan, and the internet is a perfectly anonymous way of making an issue out of petty, trivial stuff, that noone really cares about in real life.

If even a hundred people moan online about anything, at no point would I take that to mean the 'majority' of fans feel that way. All it shows is that the behaviour of this site's userbase is no different from the rest of the internet when it comes to indulging in moaning and groaning. :wink:

Barney McGrew
23-02-2010, 04:12 PM

And that's the balance that the club are going to have to get right.

Because I know that many of the East Standers where I sit just now have concerns about who is going to be sitting around them next season and are worried they're going to get the 'sit doon' brigade around them as well as the West Stand day trippers who fancy a wee change for a match or two.

I don't have any axe to grind with people who want to transfer to the East or take in a match there BTW, I just think they've got to understand that the east has never (and hopefully never will be) like the other stands.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2010, 04:17 PM
You'll be fine:thumbsup:

The disabled slots in the new stand (16) are situated in the lower part of the stand. The stand has 4 rows of seats the full length, apart from the area where the cameras are situated and the disabled areas.

In these areas the rows revert to 3, enabling the view to be unimpeded.

Cheers.

In that case, stand away. :thumbsup:

woody47
23-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I dont see what the problems are with those wanting to sit - West stand, FF stand - I'm sure there are still seats availbale there.
If however you still want to go to the new stand there are an extra 2500 seats so I am pretty sure you will find one where you can sit on your own away form those who want to stand. :greengrin

PC Stamp
23-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Calm down, i'll make enough prawn sandwiches to go round :thumbsup:

You'd be better making beans on toast! :wink:

Owain_1987
23-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Coming to Easter Road will not be the same if we can not stand in the east. Like I said at Cardiff City they told fans were they could stand and would not be told to sit this was very far away from the away fans.

AgentDaleCooper
23-02-2010, 04:41 PM
cheers for the merge of threads:aok:

Disc O'Dave
23-02-2010, 04:48 PM
haha well I would dispute that the folk sitting at the edges of the East contribute any more to the atmosphere than the FF or West, to be honest. :devil:

As for your second point, I often find the discrepancy amusing between your average guy at the match, and your various online Victor Meldrews posting here and of course all the other messageboards. I don't believe for a moment the majority of football fans are at all bothered about this, or indeed many of the other issues that folk complain about endlessly online. :blah:

Why do I think that? Because if you look at any messageboard, you have folk complaining about this and that, as if it's the end of the world. Take Keekback - they have exactly the same conversations over there, in some cases word for word. People love to moan, and the internet is a perfectly anonymous way of making an issue out of petty, trivial stuff, that noone really cares about in real life.

If even a hundred people moan online about anything, at no point would I take that to mean the 'majority' of fans feel that way. All it shows is that the behaviour of this site's userbase is no different from the rest of the internet when it comes to indulging in moaning and groaning. :wink:

Indeed,

So you'll concede that the same is valid for those who are on internet message boards moaning about wanting to stand at the games then :greengrin

Or are they only moaning Victor Meldrews if they disagree with your point :devil:

I would agree that we'll only see what the real "majority" want a few weeks, maybe months into the life of the new stand - whether a natural "standing section" emerges, or whether they are shouted down with the cry of

"Mr Steward, that man's standing up....I don't belieeeeve it"

Disc O'Dave
23-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh, and as for any official standing section, the club have made it clear that they will not support standing, so any "arrangement" will have to be done here and/or the bounce

Maybe a poll on "hypothetically, if there had to be a standing section, where should it be"

I would also suggest that if a section is deemed "Standing - baby-Sitters keep out" it should be equally understood that the other sections are "Seated areas, last-Standers keep out"

I know if there are going to be any unpleasant riff-raffs arguing with minumum wage employees week-in week-out, I don't want my enjoyment of prawn sandwiches ruined :greengrin

Dave

For the record, I hate prawn-like seafood - never eat another animals @rse

capitals_finest
23-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Well in mate, and to the square thats getting all titchy about 'breaking the law' :faf: look at the poll at the start of the thread... :bye:

Disc O'Dave
23-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Well in mate, and to the square thats getting all titchy about 'breaking the law' :faf: look at the poll at the start of the thread... :bye:

Ah, but as Hibbiemark has already pointed out, what consitutes a "majority" on an internet forum is not really representative of people who go to games :devil:

(where is the skating on thin ice smiley)?

.Sean.
23-02-2010, 08:29 PM
im sure we all had a hoot and a great atmosphere while seated at hampden on march 18th 2007, whats the difference? most will stand when somethings happening or singing and sit down when its not.:confused:the same as all the stands.
I stood up the back at Hampden for the vast majority of the match, as did thousands. Infact, after the 4th goal pretty much everybody stood for the remainder of the game.

Jamie
23-02-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't want to sit in peace, the only reason I sit in the FF is the view is better and the old east is a ****hole, I will be moving so I can help with the sing songs and get a good view, doesn't mean I'll be standing up all game thou, in the FF if you stand up for more than 5 secs you get the moaning ****ers telling you to sit :grr:

:top marks and you'll find most are (like myself)are only their because the east is so crap in terms of view and facilities!

Titch
24-02-2010, 07:32 AM

try me!!!!!!
for the record my season tickets are in the FF and i have no intention of moving :greengrin
just fancied a bit of debate and thought i'd put my point across:devil:

Titch
24-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I think that anyone should be allowed to do what they want, but when it's just to be akward and make a point like the poster "Twitch" is I'm obviously going to make valid points as to why he'd be better off in a family stand, I'm not saying the East is like Iraq, but why go just to annoy people who have been there for years?, he aint thinking about his daughter IMO.

:faf::faf::faf::faf: that's hilarious :bye::bye::bye:
erse

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 07:45 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1250/533702748_1444c5c49d.jpg

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Standing in front of people and blocking their view is not the best way of getting people through the turnstiles to fill a 20k seater stadium in my view - oh yes, just tell them to sit somewhere else - nice! (Mind you, Hibs could always just charge restricted view prices and take it out of the player's budget if that's what the 'fans' really want.)

Better atmosphere standing? Rubbish. There was a great atmosphere at PBS for our quarter final game and no-one was standing in the Wheatfield Stand.

Oh yes, and what about the Hibee Bounce? Well, that might be a valid point if I'd ever seen that when Hibs were behind in a game, but lets face it, we only do it when were winning.

It will be interesting when the move to the South takes place (where I sit) because if anyone stands in front of me I will complain to the stewards - no danger.

And if I move my ST to the new East I will also expect to sit and watch the game as per stadium rules. If there was any way of choosing a seat which avoided those inclined to stand I would certainly do so, but there isn't, is there?

Antifa Hibs
24-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Standing in front of people and blocking their view is not the best way of getting people through the turnstiles to fill a 20k seater stadium in my view - oh yes, just tell them to sit somewhere else - nice! (Mind you, Hibs could always just charge restricted view prices and take it out of the player's budget if that's what the 'fans' really want.)

Better atmosphere standing? Rubbish. There was a great atmosphere at PBS for our quarter final game and no-one was standing in the Wheatfield Stand.

Oh yes, and what about the Hibee Bounce? Well, that might be a valid point if I'd ever seen that when Hibs were behind in a game, but lets face it, we only do it when were winning.

It will be interesting when the move to the South takes place (where I sit) because if anyone stands in front of me I will complain to the stewards - no danger.

And if I move my ST to the new East I will also expect to sit and watch the game as per stadium rules. If there was any way of choosing a seat which avoided those inclined to stand I would certainly do so, but there isn't, is there?

And theres the reason football supporter culture in this country is deid. The reason theres very little youngsters in the crowds. The reason atmosphere's are finished.

Me myself and I. 'If someone is standing in front of me I will greet to the stewards like a big lassie' Wereas the easiest thing to do would be to stand for that match, move to a 'sitting seat' for that match then after the game nip round to the TO, tell them you had to stand and you'd rather not and say you'd prefer a move to the North or West stand. Instead though you'd rather grass on folk, spoiling people's fun then cause friction between yourself, stewards and supporters. Pathetic!!

JDanielR1875
24-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I think the new stand will be fine i still think the fans in the East will have a standing sing song and the stand looks pretty steep so people who are sat behind fans that are standing up will probably still manage to see if not then they can stand up and sing aswell :thumbsup: "FOREVER WE'LL BE SINGING"

Joe Baker II
24-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Pathetic post from crabit and your reaction is spot on.

I hope that like new situation will be like Tynecastle where stewards are generally pretty sensible in letting people stand at the back of all the stands and atmosphere is often pretty good. But feel Hibs had the chance to do something radical and at least propose a standing area to SPL (given Petrie is on the Board)

But I fear not, while Hibs deserve some credit for tolerating standing areas for so long (though real indictment is the clubs in England and Tayside in Scotland in particular that do not) I suspect this happened in spite of Hibs and was more due to fact viewing in much of East Stand was pretty difficult without standing up.

Joe Baker II
24-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Once people are told to sit down, they will do so. I stand at the moment but if that's not allowed in the new stand then so be it.

To stop going to the football because you have to sit down in an all seated stadium is mental.

It is not menatal, it is a totally logical reaction. Why should one be expected to support a club whose directors insist on compliance with ludicrous regalations that you do not agree with? There are plenty of grounds in Scotland where standing is allowed and they are perfectly entitled to take their custom elsewhere.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 08:48 AM
It is not menatal, it is a totally logical reaction. Why should one be expected to support a club whose directors insist on compliance with ludicrous regalations that you do not agree with? There are plenty of grounds in Scotland where standing is allowed and they are perfectly entitled to take their custom elsewhere.

:faf:

Joe Baker II
24-02-2010, 08:53 AM
EXACTLY! Hibs would get extra money if the old firm bought more tickets! right now they dont get extra seats as there is no way of segregation at the back of the east, there may be the possibility of this in the new east.

I would imagine club have considered this option despite denying it at focus groups in 2008.

I cannot see 3-4000 Hibs fans appearing in a stadium where atmosphere will probably be worse than before unless we win the league, and given recent tendency for 1230 kick offs for OF games it will be even harder to fill ER for these games with home fans. The OF would certainly sell 2-3,000 extra tickets I would think (additional police and steward costs would not reach 5 figures so that is a non-issue before anyone brings it up) though I am not sure about Hearts - they would for some games I think but not all.

And good opportunity for club to sell Season tickets for non-OF and Hearts games only at reduced prices, allowing seats to be available for away fans if needed. Whether we like it or not there is a certain type of fan who does not go to these games, but get them into the habit and they may be more likely to then get tickets for the big games - despite Romanov's many faults this system has worked fairly well at Hearts since 2005.

J-C
24-02-2010, 08:55 AM

I suggest then that you get some seats in the family section of the Fanous Five then mate.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 08:55 AM

You may laugh but I for one do not go to football matches to be told what to do (within reason) by polis, stewards, tannoy announcers, or moaning faced grumps, or to follow inane rules and regulations to the letter, and if my enjoyment of the game is going to suffer, then I am less likely to go as nowhere else caters for what I want, unlike the sit doon brigade who have the choice of 90% of the rest of the stadium.

Steve20
24-02-2010, 08:56 AM

So, you support a football team because you are allowed to stand?

Sorry, but it is mental.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I would imagine club have considered this option despite denying it at focus groups in 2008.

I cannot see 3-4000 Hibs fans appearing in a stadium where atmosphere will probably be worse than before unless we win the league, and given recent tendency for 1230 kick offs for OF games it will be even harder to fill ER for these games with home fans. The OF would certainly sell 2-3,000 extra tickets I would think (additional police and steward costs would not reach 5 figures so that is a non-issue before anyone brings it up) though I am not sure about Hearts - they would for some games I think but not all.

And good opportunity for club to sell Season tickets for non-OF and Hearts games only at reduced prices, allowing seats to be available for away fans if needed. Whether we like it or not there is a certain type of fan who does not go to these games, but get them into the habit and they may be more likely to then get tickets for the big games - despite Romanov's many faults this system has worked fairly well at Hearts since 2005.

They've also increased their debt by £20-30M during the same period.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 08:57 AM
You may laugh but I for one do not go to football matches to be told what to do (within reason) by polis, stewards, tannoy announcers, or moaning faced grumps, or to follow inane rules and regulations to the letter, and if my enjoyment of the game is going to suffer, then I am less likely to go as nowhere else caters for what I want, unlike the sit doon brigade who have the choice of 90% of the rest of the stadium.

In that case, I think Hibs should start each match with 15 players on the pitch, including 2 goalkeepers.

Anything else is just stupid.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Stadium rules :blah::blah:

Some of you must be pretty boring if you stick so ridgidly to every single rule that's ever been set down in your life.

"I'll tell the stewards on you" :dummytit::boo hoo:

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 08:59 AM
So, you support a football team because you are allowed to stand?

Sorry, but it is mental.

Er no, you support a team because you enjoy the overall matchday experience, among other things.

If standing is part of that enjoyment for some, who are you to say otherwise?

Joe Baker II

Peevemor you may laugh but to an extent I have already done this myself - I used to go to Tannadice quite a few times even after my year of residence in Dundee when I became a semi-regular but chucked it when Dundee United started over-rigorously enforcing regulations and I rarely even go there when they play Hibs now.

Steve-O
In that case, I think Hibs should start each match with 15 players on the pitch, including 2 goalkeepers.

Anything else is just stupid.

Rubbish analogy, try again.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Er no, you support a team because you enjoy the overall matchday experience, among other things.

So is fighting. Should that also be encouraged by Hibs?

Or what about shouting racist comments, smoking, drinking, etc.?

Joe Baker II
They've also increased their debt by £20-30M during the same period.

Other than fact I do not think your figures are right (Romanov inherited a £22 million debt) I do not think the increase has anything to do with their ticket prices.

skipster7
I stood up the back at Hampden for the vast majority of the match, as did thousands. Infact, after the 4th goal pretty much everybody stood for the remainder of the game.
exactly,where if it was pash you'd have sat down:wink: such a big deal being made,its a wee bit cringworthy.I'm sure there can be a balance of standing up for singing or any excitement on the pitch and sitting down when its pash:confused:

Steve20
24-02-2010, 09:02 AM

I stand at the moment. However, if I am told to sit in the new stand then I will do so. Most people will do the same, even if they say otherwise on here.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I stand at the moment. However, if I am told to sit in the new stand then I will do so. Most people will do the same, even if they say otherwise on here.

Your ticket tells you to sit now.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 09:03 AM

So it's you alone who decides whether rules are valid or not?

What a heap o' pish!

HFC 0-7
24-02-2010, 09:03 AM
And theres the reason football supporter culture in this country is deid. The reason theres very little youngsters in the crowds. The reason atmosphere's are finished.

Me myself and I. 'If someone is standing in front of me I will greet to the stewards like a big lassie' Wereas the easiest thing to do would be to stand for that match, move to a 'sitting seat' for that match then after the game nip round to the TO, tell them you had to stand and you'd rather not and say you'd prefer a move to the North or West stand. Instead though you'd rather grass on folk, spoiling people's fun then cause friction between yourself, stewards and supporters. Pathetic!!

You arent likely to get a lot of youngsters in the crowd if everyone is standing because they wont be able to see the game, remember when it was standing all over the stadium, kids had to get on the shoulders of their dads, and there is no way Hibs will allow this as it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 09:04 AM
So it's you alone who decides whether rules are valid or not?

What a heap o' pish!

Yes, yes that's exactly what I am saying...:rolleyes:

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Other than fact I do not think your figures are right (Romanov inherited a £22 million debt) I do not think the increase has anything to do with their ticket prices.

Practically giving away tickets won't have helped IMHO.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 09:05 AM
You arent likely to get a lot of youngsters in the crowd if everyone is standing because they wont be able to see the game, remember when it was standing all over the stadium, kids had to get on the shoulders of their dads, and there is no way Hibs will allow this as it would be an accident waiting to happen.

That's why the kids sit in the family stand or wherever as a child, and then move to the area with the best atmosphere when they are older with their mates, just like the majority of people in there now will have done.

Steve20
24-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Your ticket tells you to sit now.

I am certain that they will be more strict on this once the new stand is up.

Dont get me wrong, I prefer standing but I was just pointing out not going to a football match because you can't stand is mental.

Steve-O
24-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I am certain that they will be more strict on this once the new stand is up.

Dont get me wrong, I prefer standing but I was just pointing out not going to a football match because you can't stand is mental.

I'd enjoy it less, and over time, I think this could become more and more irritating and could lead to apathy, particularly if Hibs are having a mediocre season.

KWJ
24-02-2010, 09:10 AM

That one.

Hopefully there are plenty of sing songs.

KWJ
24-02-2010, 09:13 AM
FWIW the bouncy and madness that used to go on in the east should be confined to staying in our own rows now as the chairs will have backs making it more dangerous and likely to fall over with a nudge from the back.

Antifa Hibs
24-02-2010, 09:15 AM

When I said youngsters I meant groups of 14-21 year olds, you very rarely see groups of teens going to games together these days except Hearts away.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 09:21 AM
FWIW I much prefer standing at a match. When seating was introduced I missed being able to nip across and blether with folk that I didn't see otherwise. Also I find sitting far colder as well as being worse for the atmosphere. My favourite 'singing' memories of ER are in the East when it was covered but without seats.

When they put in the seats I continued to go the the East for a few seasons, sitting directly below the camera gantry and despite what some on here say everyone didn't stand all the time. People had to stand sometimes because the view was crap (eg. you couldn't see what was happening when the action was at the nearside touchline, toward the corners). This has since developed into people remaining standing most of the time.

The sightline problems should no longer exist in the new stand, so I don't understand why people can't stay on their backsides and let everyone see the fame. By all means stand up in moments of excitement or to sing songs, but we all have to accept that we don't have the right to remain standing the entire match.

Removed
24-02-2010, 09:23 AM
When I said youngsters I meant groups of 14-21 year olds, you very rarely see groups of teens going to games together these days except Hearts away.

There were quite a few at Motherwell on Saturday - and they were mostly standing up the back over the other side from where I was sitting. Assume that's what caused the hassle with the stewards and polis telling them to sit?

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 11:04 AM
First point in bold - COST. The East is currently the cheapest option. We moved across to the West when it was built, but found the price prohibitive when it kept rising, hence the return to the East. Whether you agree with standing or not, you can't make such a blase statement about why people would choose to sit where they do.

That's actually incorrect. It was more expensive to buy a season ticket for the East than it was for the FF. Which I found incredulous due to the crap facilities and view. But Rod never misses a trick does he?

Disc O'Dave
24-02-2010, 11:24 AM
That's actually incorrect. It was more expensive to buy a season ticket for the East than it was for the FF. Which I found incredulous due to the crap facilities and view. But Rod never misses a trick does he?

Fair do's - I must admit I would never choose to sit behind a goal - I prefer to watch the game from the side of the pitch, so as far as I'm concerned, the only choices are the West or East stand, and cost meant the East was the preferred option.

I do wonder, however, with unrestricted views what the pricing structure will be. I recall a desire to keep the east as the "raw" option - will the ticket price reflect that?

Obviously, I prefer the east for atmosphere, but I'm not in the "stand up all game" gang. I'm more in the "stand up when excited" gang.

It's like that time I punched Russel Grant - always trying to strike a happy medium......:offski:

Danderhall Hibs
24-02-2010, 11:29 AM

How about a section for racist, bigoted and homophobic chanting? If the club don't get one sorted out I won't be back - they're killing the atmosphere by applying these ridiculous rules!

joe breezy
24-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Stadium rules :blah::blah:

Some of you must be pretty boring if you stick so ridgidly to every single rule that's ever been set down in your life.

"I'll tell the stewards on you" :dummytit::boo hoo:

:agree:

With people like that we'd still be thinking the earth is flat and only 6000 years old cos the bible told me so

col02
24-02-2010, 11:40 AM

The East stand costs more to police given the nature of some fans in there! The real fans of Hibs are the patrons of the West imho who pay more than any of the other existing stands to watch Hibs and also have the largest number of ST holders at present with there being twice as many as the FF and five times more than the East. :greengrin:devil:

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Surely the answer to this is really quite simple (and I've stood at all the games I've been to for the last umpteen years in the main, save for 2 solitary trips to the West and 3 to the FF which were under duress) :devil:

...put the big folk who want to stand at the BACK.

...put the smaller folk who CANNY see, at the front

...that is it? Naw? Simples? Surely?

ORRR, we could spend 5 pages slagging eachother off and ripping fellow fans, casting doubt of folks Hibbyness cause they sit/stand can/can't see - ****ing hell man, thats to be expected fi Huns, and probably yams.

We are, Hibernian FC. Class in glass ya bass.

ENDOF

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 12:08 PM
we could spend 5 pages slagging eachother off and ripping fellow fans, casting doubt of folks Hibbyness cause they sit/stand can/can't see - ****ing hell man, thats to be expected fi Huns, and probably yams.

It's called debate, and that's what folk generally come to internet forums for. To voice their opinion, not to be dictated to. :wink:

The only person who seems to be casting doubt over 'Hibbyness' is you, when you imply that such debate is the pastime of Huns and Yams. If 5 pages is honestly too much for you, then my advice is don't read them. Personally, I've been enjoying this thread. :dunno:

offshorehibby
24-02-2010, 12:14 PM
So whats going to happen to large amount of people that currently SIT in the east. Are we going to be dictated to by the few standers. I sit round about the half way line and will continue to SIT roughly there in the New east.
Why don't the standers get together and start picking of seats from the back so your not obstructing people who want to sit central.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 12:19 PM
So whats going to happen to large amount of people that currently SIT in the east. Are we going to be dictated to by the few standers. I sit round about the half way line and will continue to SIT roughly there in the New east.
Why don't the standers get together and start picking of seats from the back so your not obstructing people who want to sit central.

Are you happy as you are? You don't sit bang in the middle of a crowd of folk who stand, do you? That shouldn't change should it? :dunno:

ArabHibee
24-02-2010, 12:22 PM
After reading the whole thread, I noticed a few people seem to be under the impression that the whole of the East stand for the entire match.

They must have taller people standing in front of them and cannae see what's going on because this simply isn't the case. I would say it was only the last 3rd of the East, towards the South, that stand all the time.

offshorehibby
24-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Are you happy as you are? You don't sit bang in the middle of a crowd of folk who stand, do you? That shouldn't change should it? :dunno:

I am just to the right of the standers, while i live with it, it can get a bit annoying having to get up and down to see what's happening in the let hand corner area.
Sitting dose not stop me singing or helping to create the atmosphere.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 12:33 PM

If they are real 'ultras' types I would be more impressed if they were out to commandeer the FF Lower - behind the goals is surely the place for them to be? It wouldn't be so difficult to persuade HFC to move the familly section to the East and give them a better viewing experience, win-win.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 12:37 PM

If they are real 'ultras' types I would be more impressed if they were out to commandeer the FF Lower - behind the goals is surely the place for them to be? It wouldn't be so difficult to persuade HFC to move the familly section to the East and give them a better viewing experience, win-win.

So we are allowed to stand, as long as the area is designated by yourself? :wink:

If the view is so great from behind the goals, then you sit there. We'll stay where we are. :greengrin

offshorehibby
24-02-2010, 12:40 PM
No, the minority that stand show no consideration for the guys from the east who sit.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 01:15 PM
No, the minority that stand show no consideration for the guys from the east who sit.

Let's put this in perspective though. You said before that the problem with folk standing in the East was that it forced you to stand up when the ball was at one of the corner flags. But isn't it the case that everybody tends to stand up anyway, when there is something exciting taking place at either end? They do that even in the South, if I remember rightly.

So when you talk about a 'lack of consideration', what you mean is that it forces you to stand up every so often. This also happens each time someone needs past you to get to the toilet, or buy food too, of course.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 01:22 PM
It's called debate, and that's what folk generally come to internet forums for. To voice their opinion, not to be dictated to. :wink:

The only person who seems to be casting doubt over 'Hibbyness' is you, when you imply that such debate is the pastime of Huns and Yams. If 5 pages is honestly too much for you, then my advice is don't read them. Personally, I've been enjoying this thread. :dunno:

Debate is discussion withoot ripping the pish and slagging fowk....I never doubted anyones Hibbyness - what I said was some of the ripping the pish oot FELLOW HIBBYS (thus not casting asperions on Hibbyness you will note) was not good...

That said, I couldnae gie a ratts ass pal. I stand anaw. My point is, there are some who sit and I dont think its black and white either way...tho if the folk who sat were at the front and aw the standers were at the back the problem would go away.

Simples? :agree: :cool2:

offshorehibby
24-02-2010, 01:24 PM
The point i'm probably trying to get to is when i get my new seat in the east i want a central position if every body that wants to stand has the same idea then there are going to be clashes or somebody is going to have to move.

I'm heading out for lots of alcohol now as it's my last day of freedom, sadly i'm going to miss the last day of the east standing or sitting. if i'm capable i'll look in on the thread later.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 02:30 PM
So we are allowed to stand, as long as the area is designated by yourself? :wink:

If the view is so great from behind the goals, then you sit there. We'll stay where we are. :greengrin

I didn't advocate that anyone stand - I just commented that the life and soul of the atmosphere at ER should really prefer to be behind the goals now that thte last of the old-style stadium is to go. Only in Edinburgh would the hard-assed supporters want the cushiest seats I guess.

btw, you can't stay where you are, the shed where you currently sit is coming down! If you choose to get tickets in the new sooper dooper East Stand with it's great unrestricted views then don't expect you will get away with anti-social behaviour because I'm pretty sure you won't.

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I didn't advocate that anyone stand - I just commented that the life and soul of the atmosphere at ER should really prefer to be behind the goals now that thte last of the old-style stadium is to go. Only in Edinburgh would the hard-assed supporters want the cushiest seats I guess.

btw, you can't stay where you are, the shed where you currently sit is coming down! If you choose to get tickets in the new sooper dooper East Stand with it's great unrestricted views then don't expect you will get away with anti-social behaviour because I'm pretty sure you won't.

haha what hypocrisy. We 'should' want to be behind the goals. Why? So that you can sit in our seats instead?

This is exactly the point I was making in another thread. Folk were quite happy in the FF or West, until they heard that - god forbid - the East might soon have facilities that compete. Now they want the current inhabitants ejected ASAP so that they can sit there instead.

After all, the East is full of chavs and jakeys, right? What have they done to deserve a new stand? Those nice new seats are rightfully yours, crabit! :faf:

joe breezy
24-02-2010, 02:47 PM
haha what hypocrisy. We 'should' want to be behind the goals. Why? So that you can sit in our seats instead?

This is exactly the point I was making in another thread. Folk were quite happy in the FF or West, until they heard that - god forbid - the East might soon have facilities that compete. Now they want the current inhabitants ejected ASAP so that they can sit there instead.

After all, the East is full of chavs and jakeys, right? What have they done to deserve a new stand? Those nice new seats are rightfully yours, crabit! :faf:

:agree: crabit by name, crabit by nature

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 02:51 PM

As long as you behave like an adult and do as the stewards tell you then I have absoluely no problem where you sit.

As for myself I will sit in whichever seat I choose. And since the East stand is the only stand that I haven't had a ST for and since it is the nearest one to my home I have a feeling I will go there (assuming you haven't baggsied all the seats there of course :greengrin)

Disc O'Dave
24-02-2010, 02:54 PM
The point i'm probably trying to get to is when i get my new seat in the east i want a central position if every body that wants to stand has the same idea then there are going to be clashes or somebody is going to have to move.

I'm heading out for lots of alcohol now as it's my last day of freedom, sadly i'm going to miss the last day of the east standing or sitting. if i'm capable i'll look in on the thread later.

Oh, go on, get loaded and weigh in again later :greengrin Then you have a good few days to sheepishly worry about all the things you typed.

I've thought of a great idea that could become the internet equivalent of a "singing section" - a board on hibs.net where folk can get tanked up and spraff dunken nonsense to their hearts content without fear of reprisals.

Call it the "Minging section" :greengrin

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 02:54 PM
:agree: crabit by name, crabit by nature

AHhh - the old faithful ad hominem argument - refuge of the feeble minded.

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh, go on, get loaded and weigh in again later :greengrin Then you have a good few days to sheepishly worry about all the things you typed.

I've thought of a great idea that could become the internet equivalent of a "singing section" - a board on hibs.net where folk can get tanked up and spraff dunken nonsense to their hearts content without fear of reprisals.

:top marks

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 03:24 PM
As long as you behave like an adult and do as the stewards tell you then I have absoluely no problem where you sit.

As for myself I will sit in whichever seat I choose. And since the East stand is the only stand that I haven't had a ST for and since it is the nearest one to my home I have a feeling I will go there (assuming you haven't baggsied all the seats there of course :greengrin)

Define 'behaving like an adult'. It's a football match ffs! :faf:

It'll all end in tears. :boo hoo:

AHhh - the old faithful ad hominem argument - refuge of the feeble minded.

To be fair, you did just ad hominem him back, though. :wink:

I thought this WAS the minging section? :party:

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Define 'behaving like an adult'. It's a football match ffs! :faf:

It'll all end in tears. :boo hoo:

To be fair, you did just ad hominem him back, though. :wink:

I thought this WAS the minging section? :party:

Behaving like an adult entails being respectful and considerate of others - it being a football match makes no difference.

I didn't ad hominem him back, I addressed myself to what he said! (edit:Unless of course he is feeble minded :wink:)

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Behaving like an adult entails being respectful and considerate of others - it being a football match makes no difference.

The trouble is that different people are offended by different things. I'm not saying folk shouldn't try to be 'respectful and considerate' in general, but if we didn't tread on anyone's toes, then I suspect we would all be sitting watching the match in complete silence. Which is possibly 'behaving like an adult' in your book, I don't know.

Perhaps those who get a bit rowdy at matches are indeed being 'respectful and considerate' by choosing the one stand where that kind of behaviour is more accepted, rather than doing it from the middle of the FF?

It's you crabit that have been saying how you don't care what the status quo is in the East, and that you'll sit where you like. Surely that is less 'respectful and considerate'?

Beefster
24-02-2010, 04:09 PM

http://www.defendingthetruth.com/members/cubbie-albums-fun-stuff-picture270-drama-queen.jpg

jacomo
24-02-2010, 04:12 PM

There's a good reason this won't work, and that's because when there's nothing to get excited about on the pitch, folk go quiet, songs catch in their throats, and suddenly you have the eery quiet again.

Some people want to stand and it's not against the law. It means a better and noisier atmosphere at ER, while the majority will sit, just as they always do.

Why is it so hard for others to accept this?

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 04:14 PM
It's you crabit that have been saying how you don't care what the status quo is in the East, and that you'll sit where you like. Surely that is less 'respectful and considerate'?

I am not being disrespectful though - me and Hibernian FC are on the same page on this - standing isn't to be allowed in the new East stand. While there is clearly a polarisation of views on this subject the bottom line is that the issue will be determined by HFC and not by 'fan' pressure.

You seem to think that you will just do it and it will be tolerated, whereas it is obvious to me that it won't be.

I feel the drumming up of support to make this a fait accompli is wrong - if there is a real case to be made then it should be made to HFC and get them to change their mind if your case is as overwhelming as you make out.

jacomo
24-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Is there any need for this torn-faced nonsense?

Nearest stand to your home indeed... so you are going to get a season ticket for the new East, even though you probably won't like the company and will be moaning at people around you every match? :bitchy:

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Is there any need for this torn-faced nonsense?

Nearest stand to your home indeed... so you are going to get a season ticket for the new East, even though you probably won't like the company and will be moaning at people around you every match? :bitchy:

So it's down to my torn-faced posts in oposition to your hysterical ones?

I will be moaning at people will I? Well, of course I will - otherwise you wouldn't have a point to make - silly me.

Barney McGrew
24-02-2010, 04:34 PM

If being respectful and considerate of others is so important, then I assume you'll be being respectful and considerate of the wishes of the people in the East stand who've been season ticket holders there for years and want to stand up to watch the game?

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 04:42 PM
If being respectful and considerate of others is so important, then I assume you'll be being respectful and considerate of the wishes of the people in the East stand who've been season ticket holders there for years and want to stand up to watch the game?

If there was a standing area in the east I would avoid it - can you tell me where I can go in the East without the possibility of someone standing in front of me?

It seems that some people think they can make the new East a no-go area for people who don't belong there (ie who want to watch the match seated).

Barney McGrew
24-02-2010, 04:47 PM
If there was a standing area in the east I would avoid it - can you tell me where I can go in the East without the possibility of someone standing in front of me?

It seems that some people think they can make the new East a no-go area for people who don't belong there (ie who want to watch the match seated).

I can't see anyone on this thread that wants it to be a no go area for people who want to sit - it's you that's now describing people who want to sit as people who don't 'belong' there.

As people have already pointed out, there's plenty season ticket holders and cash gate punters that happily go to the East every week and sit down to watch the match. They tend to sit near the front of the stand and in the sections towards the FF.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Row AA mate.....naebody will stand in front of ye there :greengrin

1875godsgift
24-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Ah but the linesman might? :greengrin

1two
24-02-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm moving from my seat in the west to a new seat when the east goes up.
I challenge any they east nutcases that you all talk about to even think about standing in front of me!

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Ah but the linesman might? :greengrin

.....annnnd, passing polis and stewards :greengrin

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm moving from my seat in the west to a new seat when the east goes up.
I challenge any they east nutcases that you all talk about to even think about standing in front of me!

Fur why? Do ye no want to see the game likesaykenwitamean? :greengrin

That's what we've aw been saying like ken man....likesay if someone pitches up in front of ye unless yer neck is four feet long, ye mibbes see nowt man eh... :smokin

1875godsgift
24-02-2010, 04:58 PM
.....annnnd, passing polis and stewards :greengrin
Well, ah'll say this, ah'll be tellin the whole buckin lot ae them tae sit doon an shut the buck up!

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I can't see anyone on this thread that wants it to be a no go area for people who want to sit - it's you that's now describing people who want to sit as people who don't 'belong' there.

As people have already pointed out, there's plenty season ticket holders and cash gate punters that happily go to the East every week and sit down to watch the match. They tend to sit near the front of the stand and in the sections towards the FF.

I do know this as it happens - I just had some notion that the idea of increasing the ground capacity was to get new folks in and increase attendances. I doubt that Hibs are spending this much money on a great new stand so that the select few can carry on as before.

1two
24-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Fur why? Do ye no want to see the game likesaykenwitamean? :greengrin

That's what we've aw been saying like ken man....likesay if someone pitches up in front of ye unless yer neck is four feet long, ye mibbes see nowt man eh... :smokin

And if they speak like that when they stand in front of me, i'll poke him in the eye.

you have been warned:wink:

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Well, ah'll say this, ah'll be tellin the whole buckin lot ae them tae sit doon an shut the buck up!

Aws ye need is a fishing rod with a big doughnut on the end fur bait and yer sorted.....yon problem solved - they'll follow yer line til ye get bored or til shift changes....sorted

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 05:06 PM
And if they speak like that when they stand in front of me, i'll poke him in the eye.

you have been warned:wink:

Sound mate....so all the standers should beware the bloke with the 4 foot neck sitting doon with a big sharp stick shouting aboot poking folk in the eye..gotcha :greengrin

Row AA mibbe have linesmen, polis and stewards......they mibbe no like gettin chibbed in the yak with a big auld sharp stick....

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 05:07 PM

This is possibly the joke you were making, but isn't AA right at the back? I've sat at the front a few times in the past, and I'm sure it actually starts with row G or something? Have I got that totally wrong? :hmmm:

Aubenas
24-02-2010, 05:08 PM
you'll be being respectful and considerate of the wishes of the people in the East stand who've been season ticket holders there for years and want to stand up to watch the game?

False logic. When you buy a ticket for the new east stand you are completing a contract to buy the use of a seat in a seated area and thus agreeing to sit down. As everyone has made the same deal everyone's right to sit AND see the game must be respected.

If standing is more important than respecting fellow supporters, then there's lots of places on the pavement along Albion Rd where ye can stand 24/7 without bothering anyone.

Bad Martini
24-02-2010, 05:11 PM
That's it. Am making a stand on this one.....

Dunno how many £10 seats id need mind...1 down, 3999 to go :greengrin

hibeemark
24-02-2010, 05:15 PM
False logic. When you buy a ticket for the new east stand you are completing a contract to buy the use of a seat in a seated area and thus agreeing to sit down. As everyone has made the same deal everyone's right to sit AND see the game must be respected.

If standing is more important than respecting fellow supporters, then there's lots of places on the pavement along Albion Rd where ye can stand 24/7 without bothering anyone.

Exactly how does this differ from folk who have bought tickets for the East Stand in previous years, and have happily stood without being challenged by stewards?

'Completing a contract' indeed. Get a grip. :faf:

wee 162
24-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Wouldn't the absolutely ideal thing to be to have the back third of the stand as unallocated seating? Buy a ticket or ST for the back third of a section rather than a specific seat and those who are going to stand anyway could just stay there. Would also mean that mates who don't have STs could actually go in there with their mates (something they can currently do in the East as people in there are far less possessive of their seat than elsewhere in the ground and happy to budge along a bit to let someone in).

Gets in no-ones road who wants to be sitting. Gives an option for those who don't want to be on their arse the whole game.

Barney McGrew
24-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Likewise, if you want to sit down there are plenty pubs on Easter Road where you can sit in comfort without bothering anyone:wink:

woody47
24-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Front row. No problems. Then you wont have to moan if anyone stands behind you.

Sudds_1
24-02-2010, 06:24 PM
if they don't stand........they'll have to give back their certifikit - us what sit canna generate the atmosphere you know! :devil:

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't the absolutely ideal thing to be to have the back third of the stand as unallocated seating? Buy a ticket or ST for the back third of a section rather than a specific seat and those who are going to stand anyway could just stay there. Would also mean that mates who don't have STs could actually go in there with their mates (something they can currently do in the East as people in there are far less possessive of their seat than elsewhere in the ground and happy to budge along a bit to let someone in).

Gets in no-ones road who wants to be sitting. Gives an option for those who don't want to be on their arse the whole game.

There is a post on the East Stand forum suggesting that this should be done for the whole of the East stand which I don't think is workable because of the problem of latecomers getting seated. Also the problem of people keeping blocks of seats for their mates which could cause aggravation. (I also have a feeling that security people would prefer to know who is sitting where in terms of identifying troublemakers.)

As regards the standing, I personally think a 'nod and a wink' standing area would be preferable to enduring ongoing disturbances with stewards trying to enforce rules and sections of fans flouting them - if such an area was at the back then so much the better - either there or the FF Lower which I think would work well as a singing area (given the sheer noise that OF fans can generate in the South I mean).

That said I have a feeling the club will stick to the current rules and enforce them with a view to making the stadium as a whole more family friendly.

wee 162
24-02-2010, 07:22 PM
There is a post on the East Stand forum suggesting that this should be done for the whole of the East stand which I don't think is workable because of the problem of latecomers getting seated. Also the problem of people keeping blocks of seats for their mates which could cause aggravation. (I also have a feeling that security people would prefer to know who is sitting where in terms of identifying troublemakers.)

As regards the standing, I personally think a 'nod and a wink' standing area would be preferable to enduring ongoing disturbances with stewards trying to enforce rules and sections of fans flouting them - if such an area was at the back then so much the better - either there or the FF Lower which I think would work well as a singing area (given the sheer noise that OF fans can generate in the South I mean).

That said I have a feeling the club will stick to the current rules and enforce them with a view to making the stadium as a whole more family friendly.

Around 75% of the capacity for home fans has been "family friendly" for the last decade. Can you still get tickets for the West or FF stands at any games?

I'm being a tad facetious obviously, but if there's roughly 10,000 seats which can be described as "family friendly" do we really need another 6000 of them?

My suspicion is that you're right fwiw. Complete sanitisation of the entire ground is exactly what's wanted. And who cares about the couple of thousand who are going to suddenly enjoy going to games far less. After all our support is so big that no-one is going to notice when they eventually stop turning up. Isn't it?

MyJo
24-02-2010, 08:44 PM
i haven't really read through the entire thread so i dunno if this has been suggested already but surely "zoning" of the new stand would solve any issues with the types of fans in the stand.

from the artists impressions it looks like there are 9 blocks in the stand so why not market the first three blocks, nearest the FF stand, as a zone recommended for families and those who would prefer to remain seated throughout the games and the last 3 blocks, nearest the north stand, as a "mental zone" or singing section where like-minded fans who want to stand, sing and get some atmosphere going can gather and ensure that anyone buying a ticket for that section is well warned that standing, singing and general rowdiness is to be expected if they sit in that area.

That way the sitters and the standers will be out of each others way and you shouldn't get anyone wanting to stand sitting beside those who want to sit.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 08:55 PM
i haven't really read through the entire thread so i dunno if this has been suggested already but surely "zoning" of the new stand would solve any issues with the types of fans in the stand.

from the artists impressions it looks like there are 9 blocks in the stand so why not market the first three blocks, nearest the FF stand, as a zone recommended for families and those who would prefer to remain seated throughout the games and the last 3 blocks, nearest the north stand, as a "mental zone" or singing section where like-minded fans who want to stand, sing and get some atmosphere going can gather and ensure that anyone buying a ticket for that section is well warned that standing, singing and general rowdiness is to be expected if they sit in that area.

That way the sitters and the standers will be out of each others way and you shouldn't get anyone wanting to stand sitting beside those who want to sit.

I know that us 'sitters' really hate the 'standers' but I don't think the animosity is so great that you really need 3 empty blocks to separate us!

Surely one would suffice? With a heavy police presence of course!. :agree:

For your information, I wouldn't find sitting beside a 'stander' quite as bad as sitting behind the *********! :greengrin

GreenCastle
24-02-2010, 09:35 PM
2 thoughts...

1. Would they ever switch the family friendly Famous Five lower tier with another area? Could mean more crazy fans in there (putting the opposition keeper off etc?). They could go to West Stand or even side of the East closest to Famous Five?

2. If this doesn't happen - people in East be left alone and if you want to sit - go to South for Cat B games or the West or Famous Five - surely enough seats ?

Ell_Chrisso
24-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Im sure some will agree, and some won't. But iv sat in the East Stand out of choice for all games iv went to ER. And have always stood purely out of choice, when i could sit down and ask other's to do the same.

I don't see why that should change.

GGTTH

Gatecrasher
24-02-2010, 10:17 PM
everyone knows what the people in the east stand are like with standing being a bit more boisterous than the other stands, personally i dont see why that should change because a new one is getting built, if people dont like that then there is 2 other just as good stands to sit in. If someone wants to move to the east next season then fair enough but they know through past experience or stories what to expect.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 10:35 PM
everyone knows what the people in the east stand are like with standing being a bit more boisterous than the other stands, personally i dont see why that should change because a new one is getting built, if people dont like that then there is 2 other just as good stands to sit in. If someone wants to move to the east next season then fair enough but they know through past experience or stories what to expect.

Everyone? Everyone being the 10-11,000 who regularly show up for Hibs games I expect you mean - they would certainly know for sure.

Given that we will be playing in a 20k stadium next season then we are really talking about those and such as those who will know what the score is.

Actually, your argument would have more merit if we were not building a new stand and increasing our ground capacity. They would also have more merit if we dropped any ambition of being more than a 'wee' team and accepted middle of the league level of attendances.

I do wish people would raise their heads and try to see what is happening with Hibs and what needs to happen if Hibs FC are to grow it's income.

Gatecrasher
24-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Everyone? Everyone being the 10-11,000 who regularly show up for Hibs games I expect you mean - they would certainly know for sure.

Given that we will be playing in a 20k stadium next season then we are really talking about those and such as those who will know what the score is.

Actually, your argument would have more merit if we were not building a new stand and increasing our ground capacity. They would also have more merit if we dropped any ambition of being more than a 'wee' team and accepted middle of the league level of attendances.

I do wish people would raise their heads and try to see what is happening with Hibs and what needs to happen if Hibs FC are to grow it's income.

even people i know who dont attend regular games know what to expect when they decide to sit in that stand.

jacomo
24-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Yeah, because at Liverpool and Man Utd, to name but two clubs with bigger income than us, ALL the fans sit down all the time, don't they?

You have spouted some nonsense on this thread!

Gatecrasher
24-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, because at Liverpool and Man Utd, to name but two clubs with bigger income than us, ALL the fans sit down all the time, don't they?

a lot of clubs has a stand which is known for its 'support' for example:

stretford end - man utd
the Kop - Liverpool
Holte end - aston Villa
East stand - hibs

there is a reason why this stand is held in high regard with hibs fans so why not continue this with the new one :agree:

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 10:53 PM

I am talking nonsense? Your post makes no sense unless you believe that Hibs fans can make our club as big as Liverpool and Man U by standing up at games - on reflection I hope you can see that, can you?

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 10:56 PM

a lot of clubs has a stand which is known for its 'support' for example:

stretford end - man utd
the Kop - Liverpool
Holte end - aston Villa
East stand - hibs

there is a reason why this stand is held in high regard with hibs fans so why not continue this with the new one :agree:

Well, as I said previously, only in Edinburgh would the hard-assed fans want to be seated in the cushiest of seats - and you want to be taken seriously - would you like a prawn sandwich with that sir?

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Well, as I said previously, only in Edinburgh would the hard-assed fans want to be seated in the cushiest of seats - and you want to be taken seriously - would you like a prawn sandwich with that sir?

How much will a season ticket in the new East Stand cost for my Rottweiller, Bulldozer? :cool2:

AgentDaleCooper
24-02-2010, 11:22 PM

but the east stand has a history and a tradition that those who frequent it may want to carry on, no?

Aubenas
24-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Exactly how does this differ from folk who have bought tickets for the East Stand in previous years, and have happily stood without being challenged by stewards?

The world and his dog knows that a blind eye was turned to standing in the east because the sightlines were so poor that half the folk couldn't see if they sat down.

So now Hibs build a new stand with perfect views from every seat and say to the authorities: Please can we be the only team with punters standing - cos they like it. We have seated stadia, they are safer, they are the regulations, grow up and get over it.

Arch Stanton
24-02-2010, 11:34 PM
but the east stand has a history and a tradition that those who frequent it may want to carry on, no?

Not too sure about the history - the first match I went to at ER it was mostly Rangers fans across in the East terrace.

As an East stand ST holder you will get first pick of the seats in the new East stand which is as it should be. You will also be required to remain seated during games for the most past and that is as it should be too.

1875godsgift
25-02-2010, 01:16 AM
It seems a bit simple to me, correct me if i'm wrong but, if you're told to sit, you sit.
If the powers that be, ie Hibs, say you're allowed to stand, you stand.
If you're one of those punk generation bassas who don't like getting told what to do, you hover between both.
Am I being too simplistic?

Barney McGrew
25-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I do wish people would raise their heads and try to see what is happening with Hibs and what needs to happen if Hibs FC are to grow it's income

And that includes people who seem hell bent on alienating those who like to stand to watch the game. People who already contribute huge sums of money to the football club and have done for many years.

Well, as I said previously, only in Edinburgh would the hard-assed fans want to be seated in the cushiest of seats

Eh, no....we just want to be where we've always been to watch the game. The fact that we won't have pillars will be a bonus. It's nothing about having 'cushy' seats, because if we wanted that we'd be sitting in the padded seats in the West.

Steve-O
25-02-2010, 05:53 AM
How about a section for racist, bigoted and homophobic chanting? If the club don't get one sorted out I won't be back - they're killing the atmosphere by applying these ridiculous rules!

What are you talking about? Why are you taking it to an extreme to try and prove some kind of point (you are not succeeding by the way)?

Of all the people I used to stand with, none of us, or the people around us were involved in that (under the TV gantry) and it really has nothing to do with this debate.

These things are illegal inside and outside a football stadium, standing is not illegal anywhere.

Steve-O
25-02-2010, 06:03 AM
I do know this as it happens - I just had some notion that the idea of increasing the ground capacity was to get new folks in and increase attendances. I doubt that Hibs are spending this much money on a great new stand so that the select few can carry on as before.

There will be nearly DOUBLE the amount of space!

PLENTY room for people who sit now, and plenty of room for new people who also want to sit...and guess what? Still plenty of room for those who want to stand!

It's reeeeeeally hard to get your head around, so why don't you take a few hours/days and come back to us when you've thought it all through.

Steve-O
25-02-2010, 06:10 AM
The world and his dog knows that a blind eye was turned to standing in the east because the sightlines were so poor that half the folk couldn't see if they sat down.

So now Hibs build a new stand with perfect views from every seat and say to the authorities: Please can we be the only team with punters standing - cos they like it. We have seated stadia, they are safer, they are the regulations, grow up and get over it.

I didn't know that, because as far as I am concerned, if everyone had sat down in the East, the view would be no better or worse than if everyone stood :confused:

What you are saying is a myth IMO.

Steve20
25-02-2010, 06:16 AM
This is possibly the joke you were making, but isn't AA right at the back? I've sat at the front a few times in the past, and I'm sure it actually starts with row G or something? Have I got that totally wrong? :hmmm:

Yes AA is the very back row of the stand at the moment.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Likewise, if you want to sit down there are plenty pubs on Easter Road where you can sit in comfort without bothering anyone:wink:

There will also be plenty seats in the stadium to sit on. :wink:

stretford end - man utd
the Kop - Liverpool
Holte end - aston Villa
East stand - hibs

Are they all behind the goals? Excluding the East of course.

What are you talking about? Why are you taking it to an extreme to try and prove some kind of point (you are not succeeding by the way)?

You said...

You may laugh but I for one do not go to football matches to be told what to do (within reason) by polis, stewards, tannoy announcers, or moaning faced grumps, or to follow inane rules and regulations to the letter,

Sorry if you don't understand.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know if these certificates are only being issued to current East Stand ST holders? Which means that any johnny-come-lately will get one whereas folk that were ST in the East (when it was more wild than just a few hundred folk standing and smoking) don't get one?

Doesn't seem fair to them. The club seem to be pandering to a handful of folk IMO.

Steve-O
25-02-2010, 07:14 AM
There will also be plenty seats in the stadium to sit on. :wink:

Are they all behind the goals? Excluding the East of course.

You said...

Sorry if you don't understand.

And your point is?

I don't chant racist, bigoted, or homophobic things through choice, therefore I don't get told what to do. As pointed out though, these things are illegal. They are also more harmful than standing up.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2010, 07:16 AM
And your point is?

I don't chant racist, bigoted, or homophobic things through choice, therefore I don't get told what to do. As pointed out though, these things are illegal. They are also more harmful than standing up.

I never said you did. But some folk did and I'm sure the rules in place to stop them have spoiled their enjoyment.

And they're only more harmful if everyone keeps their balance. :wink:

Bad Martini
25-02-2010, 11:46 AM
....standing is not illegal anywhere.

Ah that's where ye are wrong see :greengrin

It's illegal to stand in the middle of the road, for example and jump around like a crazy radgebam.

It is also illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI).

And finally, it's very illegal to stand on the bridge of HMS Ark Royal without being invited, impersonating the wee gadge oot ay titanic.

There's other illegalities around standing but I won't tell you them all just now.

So, you are indeed, incorrect :devil: :greengrin

That is, the end. :thumbsup:

Arch Stanton
25-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Ah that's where ye are wrong see :greengrin

It's illegal to stand in the middle of the road, for example and jump around like a crazy radgebam.

It is also illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI).

And finally, it's very illegal to stand on the bridge of HMS Ark Royal without being invited, impersonating the wee gadge oot ay titanic.

There's other illegalities around standing but I won't tell you them all just now.

So, you are indeed, incorrect :devil: :greengrin

That is, the end. :thumbsup:

Ha ha - you think?

It is also illegal to stand outside Saughton Jail when you're supposed to be inside.

jacomo
25-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I am talking nonsense? Your post makes no sense unless you believe that Hibs fans can make our club as big as Liverpool and Man U by standing up at games - on reflection I hope you can see that, can you?

Yes, you're talking nonsense. You said that if Hibs want to progress as a club, all those fans who currently stand and sing best sit down and be quiet. I was pointing out that lots of clubs with much more success than us still have de facto standing sections.

Where do you get this notion that the East will have the cushiest seats?? From all the information I have, every seat in the East will be the standard green plastic numbers? The black squishy seats are in the FF and West Upper.

Speedway
25-02-2010, 01:36 PM
What about bringing flags in to the new east?

Arch Stanton
25-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes, you're talking nonsense. You said that if Hibs want to progress as a club, all those fans who currently stand and sing best sit down and be quiet. I was pointing out that lots of clubs with much more success than us still have de facto standing sections.

Where do you get this notion that the East will have the cushiest seats?? From all the information I have, every seat in the East will be the standard green plastic numbers? The black squishy seats are in the FF and West Upper.

"You said that if Hibs want to progress as a club, all those fans who currently stand and sing best sit down and be quiet." - I said no such thing - do you even read my posts?

"Where do you get this notion that the East will have the cushiest seats?" - sorry, I see I should have spelled that out - the view from these seats will equal those in the West corporate area - thats what I meant by cushy - not cushioned! :greengrin

Leith Green
25-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I just wanna stand at the matches!!

Removed
25-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I just wanna stand at the matches!!

Join the Polis then :wink:

Keith_M
25-02-2010, 04:09 PM
PLENTY room for people who sit now, and plenty of room for new people who also want to sit...and guess what? Still plenty of room for those who want to stand!

Steve-O, that's true but only if the people who want to stand aren't blocking the view of those sitting down. That means it's important where you are in the East if you want to stand. If it's in the back 5-10 rows, then it's no problem at all because everybody that wants to sit would have the front 20+ rows in which to do so.

I think if each group had a bit of give and take on this then there won't be a problem. If you want to stand, go to the back, if you want to sit, do so in the middle or front. Problem solved!

capitals_finest
25-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Steve-O, that's true but only if the people who want to stand aren't blocking the view of those sitting down. That means it's important where you are in the East if you want to stand. If it's in the back 5-10 rows, then it's no problem at all because everybody that wants to sit would have the front 20+ rows in which to do so.

I think if each group had a bit of give and take on this then there won't be a problem. If you want to stand, go to the back, if you want to sit, do so in the middle or front. Problem solved!

Thats what we need, solutions. If we stop bickering and accept that some people want to stand (and have every right to stand- its ***** standing FFS) while other people want to sit then we can find a solution to make everyone happy.

We are all part of the hibs family, we should be looking out for each other not bitching like pubescent lassies. If my fellow hibby enjoys the game better standing then good on them there is no shortage of sit down areas to choose from so i will support their cause!!!

jacomo
25-02-2010, 10:37 PM
"You said that if Hibs want to progress as a club, all those fans who currently stand and sing best sit down and be quiet." - I said no such thing - do you even read my posts?

"Where do you get this notion that the East will have the cushiest seats?" - sorry, I see I should have spelled that out - the view from these seats will equal those in the West corporate area - thats what I meant by cushy - not cushioned! :greengrin

Yes I have been reading your posts, I promise. This was genuinely what I thought you were getting at.

FWIW I love the black seats in the West Upper... best place to see the game from.

But at the same time, you're never going to be creating much noise and fury from those seats, and I loved the soon-to-be-departed East for that.

Regardless of the fact that it runs down the touchline and not behind one of the goals - Hibs have the opportunity to build their own Kop here, and Yogi has already talked about making ER a "fortress".

I hope the new stand will help create a noisy atmosphere because - let's be honest - the West and FF are often very quiet.

And apologies for any intemperate posts on my part.

Arch Stanton
25-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes I have been reading your posts, I promise. This was genuinely what I thought you were getting at.

FWIW I love the black seats in the West Upper... best place to see the game from.

But at the same time, you're never going to be creating much noise and fury from those seats, and I loved the soon-to-be-departed East for that.

Regardless of the fact that it runs down the touchline and not behind one of the goals - Hibs have the opportunity to build their own Kop here, and Yogi has already talked about making ER a "fortress".

I hope the new stand will help create a noisy atmosphere because - let's be honest - the West and FF are often very quiet.

And apologies for any intemperate posts on my part.

No more intemperate than my posts I guess (geez should I apologise too? Yea, alright then.) Mind you, having an argument can sure help get your thoughts in order.

It's not I don't want people to stand - I just don't want them to stand in front of me. I am also pretty certain that the new East will never become like a kop - as good as the atmosphere can get in the East it really isn't so fantastic when all's said and done and that's pretty much a function of living in a fairly middle class city.

For many reasons I think the new East is going to be the most popular stand in ER and I think the idea that there will be plenty space is wrong. For that reason any mixing of standing and sitting will be problematic.

HFC are clearly not going to collude in the setting up of a 'nod and a wink' standing area, so the only possibility of it happening is if the fans concerned did it in an organised fashion (because if it is done piecemeal the stewards would have no problem in getting people to sit) - and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

The only way a 'standing section' would be tolerated is if it didn't negatively impact other fans - in other words it would have to be the rows at the back - anywhere else would require seats being left empty and that would deprive Hibs of income.

However, I believe that the real requirement is getting people to sing, not stand, and there is no earthly reason why you have to stand to make a noise.

If we get more people through the turnstiles, even if they are nicey nicey middle-class with their kids, then it will all help the coffers and we will all benefit from that. Success on the park will do more than anything else to raise noise levels - it works both ways.