PDA

View Full Version : We are a proper football club

lucky
22-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Hibernian must be the model club for teams to follow.
We have made some decent signings from the EPL and international players to hoot.
We have a youth system which has brought in £15million in player sales and is still delivering. Current under 19 league and cup champions
We have a state of the art football training complex.
We have little or no debt.
We have a decent team which is sitting 3rd in the league and a manger who loves the club like most fans

Hibernian football club must be the best run club in the UK. Well done Rodders and STF

Alex Trager
22-02-2010, 08:29 PM
We have made some decent signings from the EPL and international players to hoot.
We have a youth system which has brought in £15million in player sales and is still delivering. Current under 19 league and cup champions
We have a decent team which is sitting 3rd in the league and a manger who loves the club like most fans

Hibernian football club must be the best run club in the UK. Well done Rodders and STF
btw this is just by chance not all teams have this oppurtunity

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 08:37 PM

100% agree.

This was the business model Petrie spoke of all those years ago.

He's taken more than his fair share of stick over the years but he's stood resolute and delivered what he promised.

Question is, now that the 4th and final stand is being built with it paid for already I'll wager, with a bought and paid for training complex and next to no debt whatsoever, is it safe to say that any monies recouped from player sales can now go back into the manager's budget?

I'm not up to speed with the accounts but I believe we made a slight operating loss in last year's figures which was covered by the Fletcher sale so we shouldn't have to "sell to survive" if you like which is great. It would be madness having a business plan that relied on selling £5m worth of players each year just to even sniff break-even point :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2010, 08:40 PM
we are a massive club (etc)

Alex Trager
22-02-2010, 08:40 PM
100% agree.

He's taken more than his fair share of stick over the years but he's stood resolute and delivered what he promised.

Question is, now that the 4th and final stand is being built with it paid for already I'll wager, with a bought and paid for training complex and next to no debt whatsoever, is it safe to say that any monies recouped from player sales can now go back into the manager's budget?

I'm not up to speed with the accounts but I believe we made a slight operating loss in last year's figures which was covered by the Fletcher sale so we shouldn't have to "sell to survive" if you like which is great. It would be madness having a business plan that relied on selling £5m worth of players each year just to even sniff break-even point :greengrin
Certainly but we still need to get more supporters through the gate because if we dont this is the only way we will be able to run, unfortunately. Or at least thats what i'm lead to beleive

chorley_fm
22-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Maybe so, but we'll always be the 'Wee Team'

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Petrie is building a new stand so that 40,000 smiling faces can enjoy watching Hibs.:greengrin

WhileTheChief..
22-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Last couple of years accounts show we would have lost approx £1.5M each year had it not been for player sales. This was put down to reduced attendances and early exits from the cups.

I would expect that once these operating costs are covered by a player sale any remaining funds will be used to strengthen the squad. Petrie has stated that the optimum way to run the club is to spend £1 less than it brings in.

Of course, extended cup runs and increased gates each season should mean that we can get to the stage where we never have to sell a player but rather when we want to. It's all good.

Hibby 2005
22-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I think RP is making a statement that no less than 3rd spot is a requirement from now on.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I think RP is making a statement that no less than 3rd spot is a requirement from now on.

A sentiment John Hughes would echo I'll wager.

Hank Schrader
22-02-2010, 10:46 PM
btw this is just by chance not all teams have this oppurtunity

Your team also has a manager who supports the club...:wink:

Gus
22-02-2010, 11:05 PM
we have only got one player from the EPL

agree with the rest

:notworthy:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 11:10 PM
we have only got one player from the EPL

agree with the rest

:notworthy:

Makalambay can be added to Stokes.

And whilst Miller arrived on a free, his previous clubs included Man United so that can be added to the list.

Gus
22-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Makalambay can be added to Stokes.

And whilst Miller arrived on a free, his previous clubs included Man United so that can be added to the list.

true....Murray played for Norwich who use to be in the premiership, added :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 11:15 PM
true....Murray played for Norwich who use to be in the premiership, added :wink:

Stack was on Arsenal's books as well too :cool2:

John Rankin was at Man United too when he was about 8 years old :greengrin

Darth Hibbie
22-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Stack was on Arsenal's books as well too :cool2:

John Rankin was at Man United too when he was about 8 years old :greengrin

Did Glabraith not come from Man Utd also?:greengrin

Gus
22-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Hibs a made up of epl players

glory glory

snooky
22-02-2010, 11:20 PM

... and you can add all our well documented "firsts" as well.
1st in European Cup
1st with shirt sponsers
etc. etc.

O-O-OTBAH

Vini1875
22-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Managed properly over the next few years might see us get closer to the OF as there is only one CL place which requires 3 rounds to get near the real money. We are positioned well for it, but I suspect we will be selling players each summer for a while yet. Still there are clubs across Europe who have produced players, sold them and still be a force in their countries. Auxerre, Ajax, Rosenbourg that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Bookkeeper
23-02-2010, 12:32 AM

:agree: Think the critical things are for the youth system to keep delivering the young players into the team as it has in the past few years and for the team to play football that will draw in the fans. European competition each year should be the minimum target, I think this would then be self perpetuating with the income into the club strengthening us year on year.

STF and 'The Tache' should be applauded for the turnaround in the club.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Managed properly over the next few years might see us get closer to the OF as there is only one CL place which requires 3 rounds to get near the real money. We are positioned well for it, but I suspect we will be selling players each summer for a while yet. Still there are clubs across Europe who have produced players, sold them and still be a force in their countries. Auxerre, Ajax, Rosenbourg that I can think of, off the top of my head.You could also add porto to that list as they have raked in over 250million in transfer fees since they won the champions league in 2004 and are still going well.

James.
23-02-2010, 12:41 AM
We're becoming the envy of every other team in the SPL bar the ugly sisters (although bet the Huns would love to be in our financial position)

Sheep fans view on the East Stand here

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122691235 (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122691235)

john18722
23-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Model football club indeed ( I just want to get 400 posts to see if it changes my avatar from First Team BReakthrough to First Team Regular!)

Speedway
23-02-2010, 03:20 PM
100% agree.

Nope, they'll go back into infrastructure.

Only ST income will pay for player budget under the current regime.

Andy74
23-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Nope, they'll go back into infrastructure.

Only ST income will pay for player budget under the current regime.

That has to be right, although there may be some more available for fees.

The wage budget needs to be sustainable over a number of years so a windfall can only be spent over a certain time period and could not be factored into a wage budget.

No point getting in players on big wages based on transfer income and have to get rid of them when that money ran out.

Perhaps the obvious next step after we actually pay the mortgages would be developing the training centre into a full time academy.

cockneymike
23-02-2010, 03:59 PM

The wage budget needs to be sustainable over a number of years so a windfall can only be spent over a certain time period and could not be factored into a wage budget.

No point getting in players on big wages based on transfer income and have to get rid of them when that money ran out.

Perhaps the obvious next step after we actually pay the mortgages would be developing the training centre into a full time academy.

I agree, but the mortgages are pretty substantial though, arent' they?

Also this, 'no debt' malarkey isn't quite right. I thought we were still in debt (in the form of mortgages, but that is still debt) to the tune of about £6m? The thing is that we are paying this debt off, on an ongoing basis, and in a controlled fashion which the bank is very happy with.

As a result it will be a while before we have paid for all the infrastructure that we have quite rightly invested in. Or have i misunderstood the nature of our financing?

Long suffering
23-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Did Glabraith not come from Man Utd also?:greengrin

And we are so class that we even released an ex-Chelsea man in Jo Keenan. :greengrin

Sean1875
23-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Model football club indeed ( I just want to get 400 posts to see if it changes my avatar from First Team BReakthrough to First Team Regular!)
nae joy :wink:

fiolex1
23-02-2010, 07:44 PM
We're becoming the envy of every other team in the SPL bar the ugly sisters (although bet the Huns would love to be in our financial position)

Sheep fans view on the East Stand here

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122691235 (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122691235)

Check out post #58 the jambos proposed new stand :thumbsup:

Earl of Currie
24-02-2010, 09:06 AM

The ideal model would be one along the lines of Auxerre. We will never catch up with the giants of European football, but offering an option for players (if they are good enough) to move onto bigger things whilst driving the club forward has to be a realistic ambition.

Offering an academy , will allow Hibs to maintain the conveyor belt of talent for years to come. including schemes such as scholarships may even allow young overseas players to become targets as well.

MrSmith
24-02-2010, 10:45 AM
For me, we should feel immense pride in what we have achieved! It has all been done independently, few things sold to keep the debt in check, board, staff and fans working away quietly in the background to generate income and an owner who believes in the club but the club must stand on its own two feet!

This is where I get most satisfaction! We do not have an absent tinkering owner nor do we need to change anything about our club and here we are nearing completion!

We may not be the big team but at least our team works!

Owner, manager, players and fans - we are in it all together and this in turn determines our club, our fortunes and our direction!!

Long may it continue..