PDA

View Full Version : Twenty years...

Jamesie
22-02-2010, 08:26 PM
...ago this summer Hibernian Football Club found itself on the very brink of extinction, a victim of the fiscal recklessness of its custodians, and with the spectre of Wallace Mercer's "Edinburgh United" - aka as Heart of Midlothian minus Hibs - hanging heavy in the heart of each of its supporters. If you need reminding : YouTube - The team that was... HIBERNIAN. Part 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyyqI9WjSQ&feature=related)

Some twenty years on, in the summer of 2010, Hibs will be putting the finishing touches to an all seater stadium, with minimal debt and the strong likelihood of European football at Easter Road again next term.

An amazing turnaround in the space of twenty years, in no small part due to the canny acumen of Messrs Farmer and Petrie.

Yes, there have been decisions I've been for, and decisions I've been against over the past two decades. But if you had offered me the guarantee,as a nine year old in the summer of 1990, to be watching the Hibs as a twenty nine year old from a first class stadium and with the team we have today on the field, I would have bitten your hand off.

Sir Tom Farmer, I salute you. :thumbsup:

WindyMiller
22-02-2010, 08:27 PM
...ago this summer Hibernian Football Club found itself on the very brink of extinction, a victim of the fiscal recklessness of its custodians, and with the spectre of Wallace Mercer's "Edinburgh United" - aka as Heart of Midlothian minus Hibs - hanging heavy in the heart of each of its supporters. If you need reminding : YouTube - The team that was... HIBERNIAN. Part 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyyqI9WjSQ&feature=related)

Some twenty years on, in the summer of 2010, Hibs will be putting the finishing touches to an all seater stadium, with minimal debt and the strong likelihood of European football at Easter Road again next term.

An amazing turnaround in the space of twenty years, in no small part due to the canny acumen of Messrs Farmer and Petrie.

Yes, there have been decisions I've been for, and decisions I've been against over the past two decades. But if you had offered me the guarantee,as a nine year old in the summer of 1990, to be watching the Hibs as a twenty nine year old from a first class stadium and with the team we have today on the field, I would have bitten your hand off.

:top marks

Darth Hibbie
22-02-2010, 08:27 PM
...ago this summer Hibernian Football Club found itself on the very brink of extinction, a victim of the fiscal recklessness of its custodians, and with the spectre of Wallace Mercer's "Edinburgh United" - aka as Heart of Midlothian minus Hibs - hanging heavy in the heart of each of its supporters.

:top marks

A big well done to all involved over the years.
:notworthy:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 09:16 PM
First time I've seen that would you believe. Brilliant watch.

Brought back memories as well of a song we used to sing to the Hearts which was along the lines of "The cupboards are bare, there's no silverware, it's 38 years in a row".

I'm sure it was 38. Point being, we would sing that to them and you did not hear a peep from them, they had no response.

Only when they won the SC in '98 did they decide that "6 years in a row" wasn't gonna hold any water so they took it upon themselves to effectively discount the League Cup as a worthwhile trophy (has Dave McKay handed his medals back yet?).

To be fair, and as a show of consistency with the fans, their players throughout the years have unified with this and have taken great care to ensure they get pumped out of the League Cup every year to save face as 400,000 fans turning up at Hampden for a CIS Cup Final would be more than a little hypocritical of them.

Jamesie
22-02-2010, 09:26 PM
First time I've seen that would you believe. Brilliant watch.

Parts 2 and 3 are on youtube too, in case you didn't see them :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Parts 2 and 3 are on youtube too, in case you didn't see them :thumbsup:

Worked my way through them one by one.

Confirmed what I thought at the time as a youngster.....Budgie was f****ng mental :faf:

sixtwo
22-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Excellent post. I think Petrie, Farmer and the board deserve a massive pat on the back. There has been times when it has been frustrating being a hibs fan. I, like many of you, have watched as we have sold player after player and replaced them with cheaper alternatives. I have moaned as we tightened the purse strings and we failed to attract any new players, but I can honestly say it was all worthwhile.

Even though I knew we were doing the right thing, I couldn't always see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now we have a very good team on the park which I think we will improve over the next season or two. We have a very good, ambitious manager who cares passionately about the club. We have a balance sheet that is the envy of most SPL clubs. We have our own state of the art training facilities which are wholly owned by the club. We have a youth set up that was the best in the country last year and finally we are about to start work on a new stand which will complete a stadium we can all be very proud off!

Well done to everyone behind the scenes at hibs. Well done to all of you who support the team in whatever way you can!

The futures bright....the futures green and white!:notworthy:

The_Todd
22-02-2010, 09:36 PM
And all this time later on, Tynecastle looks like a giant rusting tin of kidney beans. It's a shame we couldn't be big like them.

Bookkeeper
23-02-2010, 12:57 AM

:top marks Still feel sick in ma stomach thinking what mercer wanted to do. STF has overseen a huge turnaround in the club and deserves great credit especially as he was criticised in the early days for not putting his own money in. We're stronger now for going down the route of self sufficiency.

The whole 'Hands off Hibs' campaign is another reason to be proud of this club and its support. I'll never forget that day at Easter Road with Joe Baker kissing the turf and big Tony Higgins giein' it laldy. Bring a tear tae a glass eye so it would!

RIP
23-02-2010, 07:22 AM
I'll never forget recognising a guy called Mike Wilson helping out with the campaign. He was a nice lad, bass player who I'd known in the 80's from clubs, bands and stuff - we used to share a pint or six in Preservation Hall.

Never knew he was a Hibbie tho. Kind of put the campaign into context when I saw other faces in the crowd from my music scene with their scarves aloft.