PDA

View Full Version : Question Why do we always start in the same half?

Gus Fring
22-02-2010, 07:21 PM
With the exception of the Rangers game I think im correct in saying we always start off shooting towards the south stand (where i sit) is there any reason for this?

Removed
22-02-2010, 07:22 PM
With the exception of the Rangers game I think im correct in saying we always start off shooting towards the south stand (where i sit) is there any reason for this?

That's because we always wanted to shoot down the slope in the second half :thumbsup:

Opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope :greengrin

Probably called tradition

MyJo
22-02-2010, 07:26 PM
iirc The only time this season we have started off shooting "doon the slope" was against the huns :bitchy:

Titch
22-02-2010, 08:03 PM
iirc The only time this season we have started off shooting "doon the slope" was against the huns :bitchy:

and we lost:grr:

K.Marx
22-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Teams usually like attacking there "home" end in the second half...e.g Man U attacking Stretford End and Liverpool The Kop. Dont think theres anymore to it than that!

Removed
22-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Teams usually like attacking there "home" end in the second half...e.g Man U attacking Stretford End and Liverpool The Kop. Dont think theres anymore to it than that!

Aye there is. Did you not read my post?

down-the-slope
22-02-2010, 10:29 PM
They might have leveled the grass...But in the mind the slopes still there.

Hence my monikier...happy memories of years gone by of flooding down the slope in the second half giving teams a pounding.

(Dons game most recently being an example :greengrin)

givescotlandfreedom
22-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I remember seeing a breakdown of goals scored at ER in a matchday programme a couple of years back and we scored a good few more goals shooying "doon the slope" than the other end. Maybe it's due to this being normally later in the game though rather than the direction being attacked.

Speedy
22-02-2010, 11:11 PM
That's because we always wanted to shoot down the slope in the second half :thumbsup:

Opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope :greengrin

Probably called tradition

:agree:

We always used to attack down the slope in the second half and kept the tradition after the pitch was levelled.

lapsedhibee
23-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Bobby Duncan's goal :not worth was actually from far more than the 7326576354738 yards normally credited, because he was shooting up a hypotenuse! :agree:

G15 Hibs
23-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Even now, if we're a goal or two down at half time, it always feels better with the thought we're shooting doon the slope in the second half.

Craig_in_Prague
23-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Even now, if we're a goal or two down at half time, it always feels better with the thought we're shooting doon the slope in the second half.

:agree:

weird, but true.

Hibby D
23-02-2010, 02:07 PM

An oft used phrase from us too - cracks me up when I have to explain to people "ah kennnnnnnnnnnnnn" the slope isn't physically there any more :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
23-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Bobby Duncan's goal :not worth was actually from far more than the 7326576354738 yards normally credited, because he was shooting up a hypotenuse! :agree:

That's sickening.

Surely the RSPCA took action :bitchy:

lapsedhibee
24-02-2010, 03:23 AM
That's sickening.

Surely the RSPCA took action :bitchy:

:greengrin

In that half of the field it was Bobby who needed protection from animals, not versa vice. Particularly one "the" bear. :bitchy:

sunshine1875
24-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Was Andy Goram's goal against Morton scored when there was a slope?

Peevemor
24-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Yes.

Sergy Pie
24-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Had it not been for the slope, the ball would have barely made the half way line by my calculations :nerd:

Broken Gnome
24-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Aside from the obvious slope connotations, psychology. Remember being 2-0 down to Kilmarnock at half time in 2006? You couldn't really envisage us hammering them in the second half and winning 4-2 into a barely populated south stand...

Calvin
24-02-2010, 04:06 PM
When we play Hearts at home, they always try and swap ends if they win the toss as it definitely unsettles us.

frazeHFC
24-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Aside from the obvious slope connotations, psychology. Remember being 2-0 down to Kilmarnock at half time in 2006? You couldn't really envisage us hammering them in the second half and winning 4-2 into a barely populated south stand...

Same vs Gretna, 2-0 down half time, Benji missed pen early in 2nd half, then we scored 4 :)

sambajustice
24-02-2010, 04:40 PM

:confused:

Sorry but the slope got levelled a good ten or more years after that goal, infact I would say closer to 15 years, I cant possibly see how you cant know this! I mean, the pitch getting levelled was big news, fairly recent too and it had changes inside the stadium, from being ground level at one end of the ground you were suddenly 6ft above the pitch!

Its akin to saying, "did George Best ever set Derek Riordan up for any goals?"

Sorry, i dont mean to have a go, i just found it a silly question! Sorry!

scoopyboy
24-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I remember seeing a breakdown of goals scored at ER in a matchday programme a couple of years back and we scored a good few more goals shooying "doon the slope" than the other end. Maybe it's due to this being normally later in the game though rather than the direction being attacked.

Thats why Alex Miller instructed Hibs to shoot down the slope in the first half.

His theory was you had more chance of being in front at half time.

sunshine1875
24-02-2010, 06:41 PM
:confused:

Sorry but the slope got levelled a good ten or more years after that goal, infact I would say closer to 15 years, I cant possibly see how you cant know this! I mean, the pitch getting levelled was big news, fairly recent too and it had changes inside the stadium, from being ground level at one end of the ground you were suddenly 6ft above the pitch!

Its akin to saying, "did George Best ever set Derek Riordan up for any goals?"

Sorry, i dont mean to have a go, i just found it a silly question! Sorry!

:grr: there was a gap in my Easter Road education from around 1990 until 2000, so I could not tell you when the slope was removed - ok. Don't find it a silly question at all. Let he without sin, cast the first stone.

sambajustice
25-02-2010, 09:15 AM
:grr: there was a gap in my Easter Road education from around 1990 until 2000, so I could not tell you when the slope was removed - ok. Don't find it a silly question at all. Let he without sin, cast the first stone.

Sorry to be a pedant but Goram scored in 1988! :greengrin