PDA

View Full Version : The Alan Gordon Stand

Gerrintaethem
22-02-2010, 03:43 PM
How appropriate :agree:

Ritchie
22-02-2010, 03:47 PM
no disrespect to alan gordon (R.I.P) but there are many other players who are more deserving of that honour IMO.

Speedy
22-02-2010, 04:23 PM
no disrespect to alan gordon (R.I.P) but there are many other players who are more deserving of that honour IMO.

:agree:

n.b. I wasn't there to see him play so I'm probably not in the best position to comment, I'm only agreeing on the basis that he wasn't at Hibs very long.

Ritchie
22-02-2010, 04:24 PM

n.b. I wasn't there to see him play so I'm probably not in the best position to comment, I'm only agreeing on the basis that he wasn't at Hibs very long.

my thoughts also.

truehibernian
22-02-2010, 04:26 PM
How fitting would it be to have the Eddie Turnbull Stand and for Ned to do the official opening :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
22-02-2010, 04:29 PM
How fitting would it be to have the Eddie Turnbull Stand and for Ned to do the official opening :thumbsup:

We already have a Famous Five stand, and Eddie was a key component of the five.

Hank Schrader
22-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Any takers on "The Jarkko Wiss Stand"? :dunno:

hibbybrian
22-02-2010, 04:31 PM
As we already have the Famous Five Stand I think the Tornadoes Stand would be more appropriate :thumbsup:

Hank Schrader
22-02-2010, 04:36 PM
The Joe Baker Stand would get my vote.

hhibs
22-02-2010, 04:38 PM
The Joe Baker Stand would get my vote.

Could not agree more !:thumbsup:

truehibernian
I am a bit biased but ET was not only a great part of the FF, but he managed and put together one hell of a team when manager too. For me he is what Hibs are all about. Skill, goals, flair, balance, respect and hard as ******ing nails. Cannae see it being the Duffy&Williamson Terrace somehow

joe breezy
I wouldn't name it after anyone

ronaldo7
22-02-2010, 04:39 PM
A re-name of East Mains to Baker Fields for me.

The Tornadoes Stand sounds good though

KWJ
22-02-2010, 04:39 PM
The East Stand for now.

Problem with naming a stand after a player is if someone more committed and better comes along.

Wotherspoon may stick around and won 5 titles and the Scottish Cup with Hibs yet :wink:

James70
22-02-2010, 04:45 PM
What about the Scott Brown stand as his transfer fee must have been a major contribution towards the cost!

James.
22-02-2010, 04:48 PM
We could maybe get some extra revenue from sponsorship by renaming the stand? I've got a feeling though it'll just be called the East Stand.

ChrissyG1875
22-02-2010, 04:55 PM
"The Thierry Gathuessi Stand" anybody?

God Petrie
22-02-2010, 04:57 PM
The Tortolano Terrace

truehibernian
22-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Let's maybe shy away from calling it the Colin Nish Stand.......it's bound to fall down :greengrin

iwasthere1972
22-02-2010, 05:05 PM
"The Tache"

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Is there any truth in rumour Hearts are to name their new stand, the Brian Kerr stand, due to the unseen work that's going on over there.:wink:

iwasthere1972
22-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Is there any truth in rumour Hearts are to name their new stand, the Brian Kerr stand, due to the unseen work that's going on over there.:wink:

Who would have thought way back in 1902 that we wouldn't win the cup and the Yams old rickety main stand would still be in use in 2010. :wink:

ivan03
22-02-2010, 05:13 PM
" The Franck Sauzee Suite"

Hainan Hibs
22-02-2010, 05:39 PM
The Matty Jack Role Stand.

krobertson12
22-02-2010, 05:44 PM
willie mckay get tae... stand?

sesoim
22-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I am a bit biased but ET was not only a great part of the FF, but he managed and put together one hell of a team when manager too. For me he is what Hibs are all about. Skill, goals, flair, balance, respect and hard as ******ing nails. Cannae see it being the Duffy&Williamson Terrace somehow

No disrespect, but he also fell out with loads of our players, sold them on and signed a few duds that helped get us relegated for the first time in sixty odd years. He is still a Hibs legend, but I think he was overrated as a manager.

I would personally sell the naming rights to help pay for the stand. The 7up stand would do nicely.

Aubenas
22-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Tornadoes for me; already got the Famous Five; The Baker Boy is in the main entrance, name the West the Hannon- Whelahan Stand, and keep the other unnamed for our cup winning side.........:greengrin.

And if it IS the Tornadoes, get Ned and the remaining Tornadoes to do the opening!:agree:

whiskyhibby
22-02-2010, 05:55 PM
As we already have the Famous Five Stand I think the Tornadoes Stand would be more appropriate :thumbsup:

I would wholly agree with that!:top marks:notworthy:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 06:29 PM
The Sir Tom Farmer Stand.

Get it built.

CRAZYHIBBY
22-02-2010, 06:30 PM
The Albert Kidd stand would work for me:agree:

hibztilltheend
22-02-2010, 06:34 PM
The "we want to stand":greengrin

Sudds_1
22-02-2010, 06:42 PM
yep........a great player and true gent. One of my heroes in fact.

But plenty other legends ahead in the queue for that particular honour.........:agree:

Hibs Class
22-02-2010, 06:44 PM
If we're going to name it why not THE HIBERNIAN LEGENDS STAND? It could then have pictures up of many legends, including the likes of Baker, Stanton, O'Rourke, Sauzee, etc. and also enable future legends to be added. That seems a bit more flexible than picking one player, or one group of players.

Dr What If?
22-02-2010, 06:46 PM
The St Patrick's Stand, after the church in the Cowgate where our very club was founded.

Sudds_1
22-02-2010, 06:49 PM
If we're going to name it why not THE HIBERNIAN LEGENDS STAND? It could then have pictures up of many legends, including the likes of Baker, Stanton, O'Rourke, Sauzee, etc. and also enable future legends to be added. That seems a bit more flexible than picking one player, or one group of players.

Like that.........:agree:

or even just the Legends Stand. Short and sweet ... :greengrin

Sudds_1
22-02-2010, 06:51 PM
..or the Romanov Stand, in honour of our finest agent ever. :wink:

lucky
22-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Get it built.

:thumbsup:

greenginger
22-02-2010, 07:26 PM
How about the SEVEN-UP stand and get a bit of sponsorship from the soft drink company.

That would really wind the Gorgie Grunts up!! :devil:

Just Jimmy
22-02-2010, 07:30 PM
The John Hughes stand after our 2010 scottish cup winning manager

dirtydirk
22-02-2010, 07:36 PM
The Loch end..... end

The_Todd
22-02-2010, 07:38 PM
It's the Tortolano Terrace or bust for me.

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Alan was a great player, but there are people in front of him in the queue.

I like the idea of The Persevere Stand.

And if they won't pay for the name, there's always the Royal Nip.

Sudds_1
22-02-2010, 07:55 PM
The " we prefer to stand " stand?:wink:

goosano
22-02-2010, 08:38 PM
The 1/1/73 stand :greengrin

SpiderHibs
22-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I suspect we will try and sell the naming rights for the new stand. A bit of sponsorship will help fund it and the best time for sponsorship is when it's just built and will be named in the press a lot.

I would prefer Turnball's Tornadoes stand but can see sponsorship coming first.

Part/Time Supporter
22-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I suspect we will try and sell the naming rights for the new stand. A bit of sponsorship will help fund it and the best time for sponsorship is when it's just built and will be named in the press a lot.

I would prefer Turnball's Tornadoes stand but can see sponsorship coming first.

They've tried that before but there wasn't much £££ in it. I think the only real money in sponsoring a football stadium is the name of the stadium as a whole.

NB Hibby
22-02-2010, 09:04 PM
The One Night Stand

No seriously, The Sir Tom Farmer Stand.:greengrin

Bad Martini
22-02-2010, 09:27 PM
The East Stand ... it has a good ring ti it, nae bull****, nae sponsorship, nae players. Just, the East Stand.

If its no broken, and strictly speakin' its no, why fix it?

Unlike, a big pink bus shelter not too many miles away, which was put together by some ugly munters one lunch time, using nothing more than scrap metal, acquired by collecting 90345803485 Kensitas Club coupons.

Ye canny buy class. :devil: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-02-2010, 10:08 PM
How about The "Dinnae bother coming in here unless you're prepared to sing and then after the game have a go at the other three stands for being so quiet" Stand

:wink:

styboy68
22-02-2010, 10:19 PM
and what happens when , pat stanton passing away, best player i ever saw play at easter rd and that includes franz

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 10:20 PM
and what happens when , pat stanton passing away, best player i ever saw play at easter rd and that includes franz

Then we'll build a fifth stand......duh!!

BroxburnHibee
22-02-2010, 10:21 PM
How about The "Dinnae bother coming in here unless you're prepared to sing and then after the game have a go at the other three stands for being so quiet" Stand

:aok: Good shout John

What about.............

The "dinnae bother leavin early" Stand

Hainan Hibs
22-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Or maybe "Don't even think about leaving before that final whistle" Stand

:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
22-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Or maybe "Don't even think about leaving before that final whistle" Stand

Beat you to it :na na: :greengrin

snooky
22-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Logically it should be called "The Last Stand".
Better not though, somebody might Souix us. :cb :redindian: :offski:

Or, maybe we could make the new stand exclusively for couples and call it "Stand By Your Man".

--------
22-02-2010, 10:28 PM
No disrespect, but he also fell out with loads of our players, sold them on and signed a few duds that helped get us relegated for the first time in sixty odd years. He is still a Hibs legend, but I think he was overrated as a manager.

I would personally sell the naming rights to help pay for the stand. The 7up stand would do nicely.

:agree: Great player, over-rated as manager. Far too many painful memories.

How about "The Hibees' Last Stand"? :devil:

The Joe Baker Stand will do me. :agree:

Sir David Gray
22-02-2010, 10:44 PM
The John Hughes stand after our 2010 scottish cup winning manager

When we do happen to finally win the Scottish Cup (whenever that may be), I think one stand has to be named after the manager who was in charge when we won it and also a stand named after the player who scored the winning goal.

I can't wait to sit in the Benji stand. :greengrin

majorhibs
22-02-2010, 11:42 PM

How about the "The other 3 stands need extra motivation" stand?

The East Stand ... it has a good ring ti it, nae bull****, nae sponsorship, nae players. Just, the East Stand.

If its no broken, and strictly speakin' its no, why fix it?

Unlike, a big pink bus shelter not too many miles away, which was put together by some ugly munters one lunch time, using nothing more than scrap metal, acquired by collecting 90345803485 Kensitas Club coupons.

Ye canny buy class. :devil: :greengrin

The East stand for me, as said classy, memorable, and the place in the 70's/80's where we used to hear whoever he wis giving it "OH HIBBY HIBBY, HIBBY HIBBY HIBBY HIBBY HIBBY HIBBEY" spontaniously, regardless of the action, at the top end next to the cowshed every week, that was the east of old for me, the place is the east, see nae reason for change here.

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I'd rename them all.

I'd call the FF the Castle stand as it (roughly) faces Edinburgh, the west would be the Harp stand as it faces Ireland, while the new east, facing Leith, would be the ship stand. I'd stick a big crest of each of these club emblems in the middle of the roof of each stand facing the pitch.

The south stand i'd call the..... better not, its a family board.

WindyMiller
23-02-2010, 02:27 AM
How about the SEVEN-UP stand and get a bit of sponsorship from the soft drink company.

That would really wind the Gorgie Grunts up!! :devil:

Us older yins already have a stand named after a soft drinks company.

Nailrod
23-02-2010, 02:33 AM
I'd rename them all.

I'd call the FF the Castle stand as it (roughly) faces Edinburgh, the west would be the Harp stand as it faces Ireland, while the new east, facing Leith, would be the ship stand. I'd stick a big crest of each of these club emblems in the middle of the roof of each stand facing the pitch.
It's an awfy long way to Ireland the way the West stand faces Bob.

But I would walk 25,000 miles... :wink:

Steve-O
23-02-2010, 06:16 AM
The Sit Down Stand

The 7up Stand (sponsored by the soft drink)

The 1875 Stand

The Keith Keith Keith Stand

HibeeMcGinn1
23-02-2010, 07:42 AM
The albert kidd stand?

Captain Trips
23-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I wouldnt name the stand, I would name parts, maybe make it into 3 sections with 3 deserving players, name some of the concorses, and maybe even some of the stairways.

Monts
23-02-2010, 09:01 AM
The leith stand

It's the only stand that is fully in leith, plus it will always be the stand that is in the sun in the afternoons, giving sunshine on leith a different slant :greengrin

Speedway
23-02-2010, 12:23 PM
If we go with calling it 'end' rather than 'stand', what about naming it after Dougie Bell?

CentreLine
23-02-2010, 01:12 PM
The One Night Stand

No seriously, The Sir Tom Farmer Stand.:greengrin

If he would allow it it has to be the Sir Tom Famer Stand, or even just the Farmer Stand with the history of the Farmer family ng right back to the start of the last century. That man has done so much for our club he should be remembered for all time.

Captain Trips
23-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Have 3 main seating sections all named after the greats:

The Ormond, The Hunter, The Wright sections so your ticket is say seat 205 b in the Hunter section etc etc. Each entrance/exit can have a name above it. Starways too.

Im uo for naming the toilets Tosh Toilets.

Joking aside I think it would be nice rather than numbers names for areas

Sas_The_Hibby
23-02-2010, 05:09 PM
"Diddy Cup Winners' Stand"?

"Wee Club" Stand?

Seriously, though, "Hibernian Legends" gets my vote.

Sas_The_Hibby
23-02-2010, 05:10 PM
When we do happen to finally win the Scottish Cup (whenever that may be), I think one stand has to be named after the manager who was in charge when we won it and also a stand named after the player who scored the winning goal.

I can't wait to sit in the Benji stand. :greengrin

We really can't afford to wait that long.......................... :grr::greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
23-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Apart from the fact that most of the "Turnbull's Tornadoes" were already at ER when Turnbull arrived. Also his "hard as ******* nails" attitude, as a manager, eventually caused more problems than solutions, IMO.

Mikey_1875
23-02-2010, 05:22 PM
The never hibs class end.

madgoalie87
23-02-2010, 05:27 PM

The pat standin?
:$

--------
23-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Apart from the fact that most of the "Turnbull's Tornadoes" were already at ER when Turnbull arrived. Also his "hard as ******* nails" attitude, as a manager, eventually caused more problems than solutions, IMO.

I vote either the Joe Baker Stand or just leave it as The East. :agree:

steakbake
23-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I think just call it the East Stand.

Pretty Boy
23-02-2010, 06:04 PM
The Sir Tom Farmer Stand for me.

It's easy with hindsight for some to talk about how STF has done well out of Hibs or how he has never invested futher in the club etc etc. However, IMO, it should never be forgotten that as far as we all know without him there would be no stand today because there would be no Hibs today. What STF did for this great club should never be forgotten and should be honoured in some way, a stand named after him is the perfect chance to say thank you.

greenlex
23-02-2010, 06:06 PM

It's easy with hindsight for some to talk about how STF has done well out of Hibs or how he has never invested futher in the club etc etc. However, IMO, it should never be forgotten that as far as we all know without him there would be no stand today because there would be no Hibs today. What STF did for this great club should never be forgotten and should be honoured in some way, a stand named after him is the perfect chance to say thank you.

If it is to be named then it should be after STF.:agree:

capitals_finest
23-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I agree if it has to be named after anyone it should be STF but i d rather it remained THE EAST STAND.

EasterRoad4Ever
23-02-2010, 06:33 PM
How do match the "Famous Five" Stand ? IMHO the only thing that comes close is the Joe Baker Stand.

Sas_The_Hibby
23-02-2010, 07:36 PM

You mean HE'S to blame for all the pain I've suffered since 1990!?! :grr::greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 07:46 PM

:agree: We COULD have been 'saved' by someone like Vladdymare.... :rolleyes:

HibeeMcGinn1
23-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Le god stand.
George Best stand. Tornado Terrace. If we win the cup, the John Hughes stand. The Pat Stanton stand. Or...... The Barry Lavety stand? :faf:

Jones28
23-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Get it built.

jdships
23-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Well put ! :thumbsup:
Says it all IMO - without his belief in the club we wouldn't be discussing this today
" STF Stand" for me

:flag:

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Good point, well made Sas

Here's the Tornadoes Team, lets see if any of our, erm younger .netters can name the players actually signed by ET :wink:

Jim Herriot
John Brownlie
Erich Schaedler
Pat Stanton
Jim Black
John Blackley
Alex Edwards
Jimmy O'Rourke
Alan Gordon
Alex Cropley
Arthur Duncan

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Here's the Tornadoes Team, lets see if any of our, erm younger .netters can name the players actually signed by ET :wink:

Jim Herriot
John Brownlie
Erich Schaedler
Pat Stanton
Jim Black
John Blackley
Alex Edwards
Jimmy O'Rourke
Alan Gordon
Alex Cropley
Arthur Duncan

Cracking question.

I can think of only one definite, maybe 4-5 at most. 4-5 through the junior/club ranks. 6 definitely came from other clubs, but whether signed by ET?

Buggar it, I'm going to bed...

--------
23-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Jim Herriot
John Brownlie
Erich Schaedler
Pat Stanton
Jim Black
John Blackley
Alex Edwards
Jimmy O'Rourke
Alan Gordon
Alex Cropley
Arthur Duncan

You've had no takers, John. Gonnae tell them? :devil:

Ned has an honoured place in Hibernian history - as a player.

I'm really not sure about how he stands as a manager; all I can say is, Willie McFarlane had a lot to do with building that team.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:01 PM
You've had no takers, John. Gonnae tell them? :devil:

Ned has an honoured place in Hibernian history - as a player.

I'm really not sure about how he stands as a manager; all I can say is, Willie McFarlane had a lot to do with building that team.

Six were in place when Ned arrived so it's a question of which five did he sign? :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Six were in place when Ned arrived so it's a question of which five did he sign? :greengrin

OK, I will bite first.

AG for sure.

Mickey

Cilla?

Herriott?

Paddy, O'Rourke, Sloop, Shades, Arthur, Sojer I think were already here.

So did he sign Brownlie?

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:19 PM
OK, I will bite first.

AG for sure.

Mickey

Cilla?

Herriott?

So did he sign Brownlie?

Oops seven were already there :idiot:

Brownlie, Blackley, Schaedler, Stanton, O'Rourke, Cropley and Duncan (only Shades and Arthur had signed from another professional club - Stirling Albion and Partick Thistle respectively)

First new Tornado to arrive was Herriot who was playing for Durban in South Africa

Next up was Mickey Edwards from Dunfermline

Then Alan Gordon from Dundee Utd

Lastly, Jim Black from Airdrie

Hope that's right - the old memory aint what it used to be :greengrin

WindyMiller
23-02-2010, 10:20 PM
OK, I will bite first.

AG for sure.

Mickey

Cilla?

Herriott?

So did he sign Brownlie?

I'd say you're not too far away with that.

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Brownlie, Blackley, Schaedler, Stanton, O'Rourke, Cropley and Duncan (only Shades and Arthur had signed from another professional club - Stirling Albion and Partick Thistle respectively)

First new Tornado to arrive was Herriot who was playing for Durban in South Africa

Sounds right, JB. Onion was the one who was hurting my head. Couldn;t remember him coming from anywhere else.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Sounds right, JB. Onion was the one who was hurting my head. Couldn;t remember him coming from anywhere else.

Think Brownlie was a Junior with Pumpherston and Blackley came from Gairdoch United

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Think Brownlie was a Junior with Pumpherston and Blackley came from Gairdoch United

Beat it. You're showing off now. :greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 10:28 PM

John, John - Jim Black arrived in 1969 - he was already here when Ned arrived. Willie MacFarlane signed Big Cilla.

My reckoning - only THREE of that team were signed by Turnbull - Jim Herriot, Alex Edwards, and Alan Gordon.

And he took against Herriot after the Split game in Split - that was the one where they were heaving thunderflashes at Jim all through the game.

IMO mismanaged Edwards - yet he must have known that Mickey had his problems before he signed him.

Punted Alan G because Alan wanted to remain part-time to follow his accountancy career - yet knew that AG was doing this when he brought HIM to ER.

I just don't know.... :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:29 PM
John, John - Jim Black arrived in 1969 - he was already here when Ned arrived. Willie MacFarlane signed Big Cilla.

My reckoning - only THREE of that team were signed by Turnbull - Jim Herriot, Alex Edwards, and Alan Gordon.

And he took against Herriot after the Split game in Split - that was the one where they were heaving thunderflashes at Jim all through the game.

IMO mismanaged Edwards - yet he must have known that Mickey had his problems before he signed him.

Punted Alan G because Alan wanted to remain part-time to follow his accountancy career - yet knew that AG was doing this when he brought HIM to ER.

I just don't know

Aaaaarghhhhhhh I'm in meltdown :greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Aaaaarghhhhhhh I'm in meltdown :greengrin

Homer nodding, old son - Homer nodding.

The only reason I happen to have known this is because Jim's family live in the Caldera, and I mentioned to THEM one day that Ned had signed him up, only to be firmly corrected - Willie M was the boy who brought Cilla to ER.

For years I thought Ned signed him.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Homer nodding, old son - Homer nodding.

The only reason I happen to have known this is because Jim's family live in the Caldera, and I mentioned to THEM one day that Ned had signed him up, only to be firmly corrected - Willie M was the boy who brought Cilla to ER.

For years I thought Ned signed him.

Me too :agree:

--------
23-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Me too :agree:

Jim wasn't the only guy I made that mistake over. For a while I thought Ned had signed Shades as well.

BUT - do you know why John Brownlie was nicknamed 'Onion'?

And do you know who I'm quoting in my new sig? Who went to the ball-game with Wee Seamus that Ne'er Day 1973?

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Jim wasn't the only guy I made that mistake over. For a while I thought Ned had signed Shades as well.

And do you know who I'm quoting in my new sig? Who went to the ball-game with Wee Seamus that Ne'er Day 1973?

Paddy

--------
23-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Paddy

Nope. :devil:

"Turnbull thinks he's died and gone to heaven;
Alan Gordon's just scored Number Seven....
Pack up all my cares and woe,
Here I go, singing ing low, Jambos, bye-bye...."

Jonnyboy
23-02-2010, 10:47 PM

No and no

Pray enlighten me oh wise one :greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 10:50 PM
No and no

Pray enlighten me oh wise one :greengrin

Well, as above, Alan G got a lift from Seamus .

(Jings - just think - Gordon and O'Rourke together in one car driving down Gorgie. ONE drunken Jambo.... Disnae bear thinking about.)

I'll PM you on the other. :wink:

Removed
23-02-2010, 10:52 PM

I thought it was because of his hair :dunno:

--------
23-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought it was because of his hair :dunno:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grr:

See, JB? Even when I'm clever, I'm stoopid. :faf:

heretoday
24-02-2010, 09:55 AM
The new freezing cold, uncomfortable stand.