PDA

View Full Version : Alan Gordon picture

RoxburghHibs
22-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Does anyone have a link to a quality image of the late great Alan Gordon?

Thanks in advance

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I have a brilliant one that I got from either here or the Bounce....shows Alan shooting 'doon the slope' in 1972 Vs Leeds.

Very apt as it shows the old east banking behind which looks like it stretches into the sky packed to the gunnels with Hibees!:agree:

Its on my works PC tho'....will put it on tomorrow unless someone else has the same one in the meantime????

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 05:04 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/greensalamander/alangordonleeds1973copy.jpg

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 05:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/schiehallion/AlanGordon.jpg

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 05:07 PM
http://images.scran.ac.uk/RB/images/thumb/0893/08939567.jpg

Kevvy1875
22-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I found them:wink:

mim
22-02-2010, 05:09 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/greensalamander/alangordonleeds1973copy.jpg

Great photo. :thumbsup:

....and for those that are feeling all morose about the demise of the tip that is the East Stand, this shows the East that I miss. :boo hoo:

I was one of those thousands on the East terrace that night. :thumbsup:

greenlex
22-02-2010, 05:25 PM
That is a cracking photo. :agree:
Also my memories of the proper East. :agree:

Jonnyboy
22-02-2010, 09:52 PM

....and for those that are feeling all morose about the demise of the tip that is the East Stand, this shows the East that I miss. :boo hoo:

You and me both Mike :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I was in the East Stand that night too......albeit swimming around in my dad's Mark McGraws.

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I was in the East Stand that night too......albeit swimming around in my dad's Mark McGraws.

Probably as good a view of the game as many of them had judging by the crowd in that picture.

WindyMiller
23-02-2010, 02:31 AM
I had a better view that night Bob, than I did the last time I was in the East.
Last season!

crewetollhibee
23-02-2010, 06:41 AM
I had a better view that night Bob, than I did the last time I was in the East.
Last season!
That photo encapsulates my main memory from that night. Billy Bremner immediately in front of his goalie; snarling, fists clenched and organising everything. He was brilliant the little s**t !!!

H18sry
23-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I was there aswell, on the top tier front row just in line with the 18 yard box where Alan Gordon [RIP] had his goal wrongly chopped of for offside after Arthur Duncan had cut the ball back on to his napper which Alan as he always did rose with aplomb and tucked it away.

We got there at 6 as soon as the gates opened so we could get next to the front barrier on the top tier :greengrin

WindyMiller
23-02-2010, 08:44 AM
That photo encapsulates my main memory from that night. Billy Bremner immediately in front of his goalie; snarling, fists clenched and organising everything. He was brilliant the little s**t !!!

Aye. He was magnificent that night.:grr:

H18sry
23-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Aye. He was magnificent that night.:grr:

Another cheatin greetin ginger whinger :grr:

stevenson
23-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I was there aswell, on the top tier front row just in line with the 18 yard box where Alan Gordon [RIP] had his goal wrongly chopped of for offside after Arthur Duncan had cut the ball back on to his napper which Alan as he always did rose with aplomb and tucked it away.

We got there at 6 as soon as the gates opened so we could get next to the front barrier on the top tier :greengrin

I have distinct memory of Allan Clarke kicking out at Alan off the ball and Alan treating him with disdain.

--------
23-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Me too. That's the East that I remember - not the East as is today. :agree:

Edit: Thanks for the photos, guys.

.Sean.
23-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Was there two tiers? I'd always imagined it as one huge big bank of terracing.

What was the East built on, was there anything underneath it, was it sturdy? What was up the very back of it, a wall to stop you falling to the ground? So many questions. I'd love to have experienced the old terracing. Pity I was born about ten years too late :boo hoo:

Mon_the_cabbage
23-02-2010, 09:43 PM

What was the East built on, was there anything underneath it, was it sturdy? What was up the very back of it, a wall to stop you falling to the ground? So many questions. I'd love to have experienced the old terracing. Pity I was born about ten years too late :boo hoo:

It was basically just a giant hill. The back was a grassy slope.

At half time it was the toilet with the best view in the country and at full time it was the quickest way down if you chose to avoid the steps!

PS: I was also on the East at that Leeds match!

Toaods
23-02-2010, 10:37 PM

call me pedantic too and sory to reduce any claim to fame, but if you are 27 you wouldn't have made it even as a loose one ...:wink:

Biggie
23-02-2010, 10:47 PM
That was a busy front tier that night as I was there...hibs pummelled leeds that night...if I remember leeds cleared the ball off the line loads of times...hammered them 0-0 (PS what a great photo)

iwasthere1972
23-02-2010, 11:01 PM

I was in the Cowshed, East Terracing and Dunbar End that night.

Brings back memories of some great European nights that Easter Road saw and we were desperately unlucky to go out to Leeds that night.

Would be fantastic if those great nights returned soon.

CropleyWasGod
23-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry to crap on everyone's chips, but I wasn't on the Terracing that night. I was in the Cowshed.

I had a brilliant view of Bremner playing keepie-uppie on his own line. Quite the most superb exhibition of the sweeper role I've ever seen in the flesh.

--------
23-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Sorry to crap on everyone's chips, but I wasn't on the Terracing that night. I was in the Cowshed.

I had a brilliant view of Bremner playing keepie-uppie on his own line. Quite the most superb exhibition of the sweeper role I've ever seen in the flesh.

Indeed. I'd have happily killed him that night.

plhibs
23-02-2010, 11:56 PM
You and me both Mike :agree:

I was at that one as well, brings back great memories.:thumbsup:

Big Frank
24-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Quality thread lads, and a quality photo :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
24-02-2010, 07:28 AM
call me pedantic too and sory to reduce any claim to fame, but if you are 27 you wouldn't have made it even as a loose one ...:wink:

Ahhhhh b0llocks :wink:

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Ahhhhh b0llocks :wink:

Poppycock. :wink:

jacomo
24-02-2010, 09:39 AM
That is a cracking photo. :agree:
Also my memories of the proper East. :agree:

That match was the year before I was born. To my eyes, that East terrace looks absolutely insane!

However, the current Stand is still basically built on the very lower slope of that hill, so the final link with the old stadium is going.

It does make me think that the new single tier stand is the most appropriate design, though - a nod to the past. Onwards and upwards.

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Standing on top of the top tier was like standing on top of the world, or at least as high as the top tier at Murrayfield was.......:cool2:

It was my first view of the pitch when I was a wee yin and a sight I will never forget. It started my love affair with Hibs that was sealed by the Tornadoes and Messrs. Stanton, Duncan and Gordon particurly. :greengrin

H18sry
24-02-2010, 10:13 AM

It was a kind of two tiers separated by a walkway [path] then a wall that led to the top tier and at the top tier and down the steps/bank, were the entrances and exits, so you had to climb up the back of the hill then down again, a big trek for one so young in the early 70's :devil:

scott7_0(Prague)
24-02-2010, 10:38 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Easter_Road_old.jpg

--------
24-02-2010, 11:14 AM

IIRC it was basically a huge flight of concrete steps set on the front face of a hill overlooking the pitch.

The present East Stand is a section of the lower tier of those steps, and the path along the back of the present East is like the walkway that ran across the width of the terrace, only a bit lower down (I think). The original walkway that we knew was the top of the main terrace, before the top section was added. I'm not sure when THAT was - I think around the time of the Famous Five. I know that at one time there were plans to build the terraces higher all round, to increase standing capacity to 70,000. And yes, there was a wall all round the top. if you stood on that, you got an even better view.

The top section was, again, basically concrete steps on the front face of a huge mound of earth. It was like being on top of the world up there, with a superb view of the pitch. Best of all were the floodlit matches, because the pitch shone in the lights, and the smell of the tobacco-smoke and (if you were on the lower level, close to the pitch) sometimes the liniment, and the booze....

On a winter's afternoon with a sparse crowd it was freezing - the wind cut in off Arthur's Seat like a knife, and if it rained you were soaked. I remember one game against Morton around 1973-4 when we had about 6,000 in the ground, and just at five to three the heavens opened and the rain came down in stair-rods. There was a Tannoy announcement that in view of the weather everyone could move round to the covered sections of the ground (not that there was a lot of THEM in the 1970's) and everyone did - all except me and my mate Eric, Eric who just happened to have his big golf brolly with him. So we stayed put in our big long 1970's overcoats, leaning on a crush barrier, cooried doon under the brolly, to watch the game. Two guys totally all alone on that huge terrace. We got our photos in the EEN that night. :devil:

On a big European night, though, it was totally magic. You wore a hat to keep your head warm and dry, and with the crowd packed in like in that photo of the Leeds game you were toasty warm and comfortable - provided somebody didn't pee down the back of your leg, that is. (The 'toilets' would have disgraced the Gulag, I tell you.) When it was REALLY packed, you could travel 20-30 yards down and across the terrace without your feet touching the concrete - you've seen the TV pictures of the Kop at Anfield? Just like that. I've done it a few times, and I assure you, it was scary. How there were no deaths I do not know.

And for all those folks, there were a couple of pie-and-Bovril stands, and some guys who went round and round the pitch selling snowballs and macaroon bars. THAT was what passed for 'catering'.

The score-board - scaffolding, with letters A-O (I think) and slots for the numbers (all painted on squares of tin) and what you got were the Scottish League Division One scores, Hibs Reserves, the League Cup Final or Cup Final when they were played (a full league program ran on Cup Final days in those days) and one or two of the bigger Second Division games. Or you took a tranny (not what you might think - a wee radio :wink:) to the game with you.

TV cameras were perched on top of another scaffold right at the top of the top section, and Archie MacPee would often have to dub in his commentary after the game because our guys would congregate round the camera stand and offer helpful advice to him on variant uses and locations for the microphone. :devil:

I honestly wouldn't have it back, but it was magic at the time. :devil:

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 11:50 AM
IIRC it was basically a huge flight of concrete steps set on the front face of a hill overlooking the pitch.

The present East Stand is a section of the lower tier of those steps, and the path along the back of the present East is like the walkway that ran across the width of the terrace, only a bit lower down (I think). The original walkway that we knew was the top of the main terrace, before the top section was added. I'm not sure when THAT was - I think around the time of the Famous Five. I know that at one time there were plans to build the terraces higher all round, to increase standing capacity to 70,000. And yes, there was a wall all round the top. if you stood on that, you got an even better view.

The top section was, again, basically concrete steps on the front face of a huge mound of earth. It was like being on top of the world up there, with a superb view of the pitch. Best of all were the floodlit matches, because the pitch shone in the lights, and the smell of the tobacco-smoke and (if you were on the lower level, close to the pitch) sometimes the liniment, and the booze....

On a winter's afternoon with a sparse crowd it was freezing - the wind cut in off Arthur's Seat like a knife, and if it rained you were soaked. I remember one game against Morton around 1973-4 when we had about 6,000 in the ground, and just at five to three the heavens opened and the rain came down in stair-rods. There was a Tannoy announcement that in view of the weather everyone could move round to the covered sections of the ground (not that there was a lot of THEM in the 1970's) and everyone did - all except me and my mate Eric, Eric who just happened to have his big golf brolly with him. So we stayed put in our big long 1970's overcoats, leaning on a crush barrier, cooried doon under the brolly, to watch the game. Two guys totally all alone on that huge terrace. We got our photos in the EEN that night. :devil:

On a big European night, though, it was totally magic. You wore a hat to keep your head warm and dry, and with the crowd packed in like in that photo of the Leeds game you were toasty warm and comfortable - provided somebody didn't pee down the back of your leg, that is. (The 'toilets' would have disgraced the Gulag, I tell you.) When it was REALLY packed, you could travel 20-30 yards down and across the terrace without your feet touching the concrete - you've seen the TV pictures of the Kop at Anfield? Just like that. I've done it a few times, and I assure you, it was scary. How there were no deaths I do not know.

And for all those folks, there were a couple of pie-and-Bovril stands, and some guys who went round and round the pitch selling snowballs and macaroon bars. THAT was what passed for 'catering'.

The score-board - scaffolding, with letters A-O (I think) and slots for the numbers (all painted on squares of tin) and what you got were the Scottish League Division One scores, Hibs Reserves, the League Cup Final or Cup Final when they were played (a full league program ran on Cup Final days in those days) and one or two of the bigger Second Division games. Or you took a tranny (not what you might think - a wee radio :wink:) to the game with you.

TV cameras were perched on top of another scaffold right at the top of the top section, and Archie MacPee would often have to dub in his commentary after the game because our guys would congregate round the camera stand and offer helpful advice to him on variant uses and locations for the microphone. :devil:

Funny we both thought that! I suppose when you are a kid it must be how it feels. :agree:

--------
24-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Funny we both thought that! I suppose when you are a kid it must be how it feels. :agree:

Only way I can describe it. Totally magic.

Can remember pre-season and early-season games in July, August September, and late-season games in May, sitting on the terrace in the sun - lovely.

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Indeed. I'd have happily killed him that night.

I still cannot fathom out why ET didn't just tell Jimmy O'Rourke to get as close to Bremner as possible and stay there

gogs_t
24-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I was on the terracing that night as well - wasn't the East then!!

I was also down at Leeds for the 1st leg and I'm sure I remember (I was only 10 so admittedly this is a tad vague) Peter Lorimer ripping Alan Gordon's top right down his back.

therealgavmac
24-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Anybody remember the game against the Huns where the guys walking round the pitch with kia ora/chocolate/macaroon bars got arrested for leaning over the fence and nutting one of them? 3-1 to Hibs that day as well with Harper scoring (2?) IIRC

.Sean.
24-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Cheers for that description matey :aok:

Found this picture of the old stadium. It's a model, can't remember when or how I got it but it was taken during a stadium tour...

http://http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3729368464_daf22e0ffc.jpg

Looks huge :agree: Why did they reduce it?

Still don't know how to add a picture to my post, so here's a link i found instead http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3729368464_daf22e0ffc.jpg

--------
24-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Cheers for that description matey :aok:

Found this picture of the old stadium. It's a model, can't remember when or how I got it but it was taken during a stadium tour...

http://http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3729368464_daf22e0ffc.jpg

Looks huge :agree: Why did they reduce it?

Still don't know how to add a picture to my post, so here's a link i found instead http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3729368464_daf22e0ffc.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3729368464_daf22e0ffc.jpg)

It WAS huge. Hard to think of it now.

I think the top section was removed when the police demanded that the crowds be segregated, about the time that the question of ground reconstruction came up - there was no way Hibs could put a tin roof over the whole of that terrace, or fence sections off to keep the fans apart.

Also, the latter part of Hart's time as chairman and the Waugh years and the Duff/Gray period was an extended period of poverty and bad judgment at ER. We seemed to stagger from one mess to another mess to the next mess to yet a worse mess for years and years and years....

Some of those who used to complain about STF and RP (the really bitter ones) either didn't remember those 15 years (1975-1990, roughly) or deliberately put the memory out of their minds.

The last 15 years have been comparatively plain sailing IMO.

Alfred E Newman
24-02-2010, 07:11 PM
The huge main terracing packed to the limit in the 50s.

.Sean.
24-02-2010, 07:22 PM
It WAS huge. Hard to think of it now.

I think the top section was removed when the police demanded that the crowds be segregated, about the time that the question of ground reconstruction came up - there was no way Hibs could put a tin roof over the whole of that terrace, or fence sections off to keep the fans apart.

Also, the latter part of Hart's time as chairman and the Waugh years and the Duff/Gray period was an extended period of poverty and bad judgment at ER. We seemed to stagger from one mess to another mess to the next mess to yet a worse mess for years and years and years....

Some of those who used to complain about STF and RP (the really bitter ones) either didn't remember those 15 years (1975-1990, roughly) or deliberately put the memory out of their minds.

The last 15 years have been comparatively plain sailing IMO.

Mental. It as about the same width as the pitch!

I'm fascinated :agree:

--------
24-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Mental. It as about the same width as the pitch!

I'm fascinated :agree:

When you see some of the last photos of the old ground as it was, it looks scruffy and dilapidated, but on a clear winter's night with the lights on and the terraces filled, the old ground was magical.

Some of the best nights of my young life were spent there - well, some of the best evenings, anyway.... :blushie: