PDA

View Full Version : what was your first memory of the east terracing

legends of 73
22-02-2010, 02:41 PM
mine was hibs v partick thistle i think about 1978 turnstyles at the back and about 200 steps to climb.

an old favorite that will be missed but onwards and upwards

HibbyAndy
22-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Down the front at the 'red' fence when it all kicked off when Souness got sent off in our 2-1 win 1986, Just a wee laddie but can remember us winning and the singing was unreal!.

Barney McGrew
22-02-2010, 02:45 PM
My first ever Hibs game - running all the way from the bottom to the top when it was still the old massive terrace the day that Aberdeen won the league at ER in the early 80's.

I was just a wee laddie, but I remember it as if it was yesterday.

ahibby
22-02-2010, 02:48 PM
First memory of the east was being lifted by my Uncle George over the turnstile and the second was standing at the wall at the pitch at the final whistle and looking up thinking to myself how on earth am I going to be able to climb up all those steps. Those were the days before the roof and the high banking at the top was still there and I was only wee; circa 1969.

Jim44
22-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Sitting on the old metal leaning barriers as a six year old in the early 50's. Praying that my dad wouldn't let go of me when we scored and wishing that I had a pair of binoculers.

PC Stamp
22-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifted over the turnstile as a 6 year old and having to climb what seemed like a mountain. Getting to the top and seeing the pitch and then having to walk half way down the terracing again to where my Dad & Uncle usually viewed from! Knackered so I was :greengrin

supershotmo
22-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I used to love it when it rained when on the Terracing and they opened up the seat enclosure.

Its was a mad rush to get in there.

Speedway
22-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Seeing the pitch invasion after we won the first division trophy by beating Raith 2-0.

MussyHibby
22-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Being at the corner flag with my brother and my dad but messing about mainly, up and down the '000s of steps. I seem to recollect a 2 tier terracing from the 70s, the walk area separating the tiers being particularly wide and playtime friendly.

supershotmo
22-02-2010, 03:15 PM
The pissers and pie stall used to be miles away.

Always remember the wee laddies selling tablet and macaroon bars under the fences.

Owain_1987
22-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Was telling my girlfriend this before think it was against Killi and we were losing 3-1 and as I started to leave with my uncle Hibs scored so he put we on his shoulders in time see Hibs equalise. Let me know how much of this memory is right please. As am not sure of all the facts. Also remember a evening game against Raith winning 4nil I think.

matty_f
22-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Wasn't my first game in the East, but the most vivid recollection I have from my early time going in there was Steve Archibald's debut. My Dad took me along, and I remember sitting up on one of the crush barriers. Totally loved it.:thumbsup:

surreyhibbie
22-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Preseason Friendly against Newcastle Utd, I was about 10 and the view from the very top of the old terracing was incredible. I had never seen so many people in one place, and the players were tiny, but I was hooked.

Later used to stand at the corner next to the Cave when the height of the terracing was reduced. Many happy memories over 13 years before I moved South.....

zlatan
22-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Crying my eyes out as my old man flung me around like a rag doll after we scored a last minute cup winner against Clyde in, I think, 1992.

TheEastTerrace
22-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Hands Off Hibs was my first visit to the East Terrace as a 9 year old. I had been taken to games where I'd sat in the Cowshed and old stand, but first time in there. What a day that was. Blistering day.

Also remember being in there for the Wayne Foster game and the casuals singing Hearts were gonna get their effin heads kicked in. For some reason, a dismal 1-0 win against Partick Thistle during Lexo's reign, with Darren Jackson scoring a pen, sticks out in the mind.

Other great memories include 6-2, beating the 'unbeatables' 2-0, and the AEK night.

Will miss it, but time to move on and get some decent facilities. Hopefully, it will retain a good atmosphere.

Leith Green
22-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I remember a Hibs vs seville friendly roughly mid 80s, sure they had just done some sort of work on it, possibly downsizing it or re - roofing it...

Can anyone remeber this game??

Jones28
22-02-2010, 04:04 PM
My first game was in the east in 1995-6, vs Partick Thistle (I think), Jackson scored a penalty and we won 1-0. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
22-02-2010, 04:15 PM
My dad used to take me to the West - he first took me to the East when we beat Muthas 6-2 .. would have been c. 77/78. I just remember my pal heading down to the front for a maccaroon bar and getting lost on the way back :greengrin

heretoday
22-02-2010, 04:17 PM
1965 or thereabouts. Previously my dad took me into the enclosure or the south stand. The terracing was pretty bleak at the top.

It was quite a climb up the steps - especially in later years with 4 green Pale Ale cans down the Brutus jeans!

Captain Trips
22-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Not sure what my first game was but moments that I recall clearly still:

Aek night

Kjell Olofsson scoring down the slope to finish us off in Premier.

Best for me is meeting lots of good folk as I had no connection to anyone in Edinburgh, Cheers Riz, Darren your Brother and your Dad, Cameron and Hibee Girl and all the other folk in that area it was fun.

fife hfc
22-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Used to go in the old terracing as a boy and though I had been in it before (first game against raith Rovers) I remember my mum and dad allowing me as a boy run up the stairs and watch the last 15 - 20 mins of matches (dad was a hun so never going to take me to games). I remember running up the stairs to see Hibs v Hearts in the Tom Hart cup and unless my memory is wrong I saw jackie Mcnamara score late on to see us win 1-0 (how rare was that victory in the eighties).

Lately I have went in the FF stand but the victories against Hearts (when they were unbeatable:greengrin) and the huns game when deek and O'Connor scored have been two of the best atmospheres I have been in at ER for a long time and the east in those two games felt like a through back to the mid eighties.

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Just about getting swept out to sea during a gale, when I was at the top of the old extension where the TV "gantry" was.

Broken Gnome
22-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Mid 90s Scottish Cup tie v Clyde. Running late, some reason had to go way down Leith Walk to get money to go. Arrived just before half time, Michael O'Neill scored about after an hour, left with 5 minutes to go. Got back to car, realised Clyde had actually taken a first half lead and Kevin McAllister had made it 2-1 in the last minute.

First and only time I've stood in there. Condemn the piece of crap to hell.

jgl07
22-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I went to a Derby match in the early 1980s. It was during the miners strike and there was a huge police presence.

Hibs were leading 1-0 until Hearts scored two late goals to steal the points.

I recall a long walk away surrounded by police as the Hibs support were singing Arthur Scargill, Arthur Scargill all the way.

I think I have been there three times since then.

The first was for a pre-season friendly against Middlesbrough(?). I was not aware that the new North Stand was open and went to the East. The view was rubbish and noticing that the lower tier of the North was open we transferred at half time.

The second was for the Scotland B International against Northern Ireland when Darren Jackson scored one of the best goals of all time. Unfortunately there were no cameras there and I saw little of the action between the columns and standing spectators and only caught a glimpse of the goal.

The last time was for the ceremonial demolition of the old Main Stand.

I hope they will do another firework concert to see out the East.

AgentDaleCooper
22-02-2010, 04:53 PM
being too short to see harper and lavety score, but being in the right position to see robertson...still, 2-1, great memory (form a very crap season)

banarc7062
22-02-2010, 04:54 PM
It was 1954 against would you believe it ...the jambos. My uncle took me and I sood on the wall at the top section of the old terracing. The players were so small running about down on the pitch. Ah, the memories.:agree:

lothianhibee
22-02-2010, 04:55 PM
aye my first visit to the east was to see george best against thistle.he didnt turn up though,i also remember a pre-season tourney with coventry man city and the jambos.i was only about eight or nine at time.i also remember a rangers fan walking along the passage past hibs fans and he was getting peed on pies chucked at him the lot he must have been a nutter.

KWJ
22-02-2010, 04:56 PM
mid 90's league match v Partick Thistle is my first memory in there. Won 5-1 I think. Went with my mate and his dad.

Don't think I was back until the 1st division season. Aberdeen match was a great atmosphere that year.

greenginger
22-02-2010, 05:18 PM
We used to meet in the Mid 60's in front of the floodlight pylon at the north end of the East Terracing.

Joe Davies was left back and captain at the time and always seem to win the toss and we would kick off up the slope so the pylon at Joe's back was Joe's pylon.

I don't know if it was just our group that called it that . Does anyone else on here use it as a meeting point.

We still called it Joe's pylon in the 80's long after the said Joe Davis had moved on.

spudgun
22-02-2010, 05:30 PM
About 8 years old so c. 1964 and my Dad trying to politely tell a friendly Dundee supporter that neither he nor indeed I would like a slug out his hip flask.

What happened to those days?:boo hoo:

HIBERNIAN 1875
22-02-2010, 06:07 PM
My first ever game in the East was the 1-0 derby win when O'Connor scored on the last minute. Can remember the place going mental that day! :thumbsup:

mim
22-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Watched my first few games from the main (now West) stand and then became a regular in the enclosure in front of the main stand.

It would probably be late 50's when the East terracing became my home.

I will never, ever forget the Barca game. What a fantastic spectacle, what a fantastic game, what a fantastic result...........

...........and, do you know, it was 49 years ago today. :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
22-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Can't say for definite whether it was the 6-0 or 5-2 game but I do know it was against Stirling Albion in about 1967.

Loads of space to walk around a stadium that could hold about 50,000 as I reckon the crowd that day was only about 6,000-7,000.

:notworthy:

Sancho Panza
22-02-2010, 06:28 PM
My first ever game. Vs Partick in 1978. We won 1-0 and Jim McArthur saved a penalty. That was when the East was huge. It was my first visit to the Holy Ground and I can still remember the excitement of climbing to the top of those steps and being in the ground for the veryfirst time. Went to the Montrose chippy afterwards before getting the bus home. Funny how the small details remain even after more than 30 years.

By the way do any posters remember the old half-time score board? It was in the Dunbar Road end and at half time someone would put up letters corresponding to the fixtures printed on the back of the match day programme and the scores in those games. None of your fancy electronic scoreboards back then!

Fisherrow_Hibs
22-02-2010, 07:59 PM
First game in the east 17 March 1979 Hibernian v Hearts :thumbsup:

sixtwo
22-02-2010, 08:10 PM
one of my first big games in there was a derby in the 80's where we beat hearts 2-1. I'm sure kano and eddie may scored. There was a crowd of about 24,000 back then!

My other favourite memories include the games against Anderlecht and AEK Athens.Those were great nights. Best of all though was the six two game! That was heaven!

I'm sure the new stand will see many more great nights. My season ticket is for the terracing and i'll definately be in the new stand next season!

BarneyBreslin
22-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Been mentioned before but it was the Souness debut game in 1986. First time I was allowed to go without my dad so I went to the East with my mates (dad used to take me to West). I was 12 years old at the time. I was scared ****less for a lot of the game (hibs fans were going pure radge) but I knew afterwards the East was the place for me.

Stenny
22-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Against St.Johnstone, evening game, some time very early 90's.. struggling to see over the wall and fence at the front and remember it being much different to behind the goals on a Saturday... enjoyable stuff

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 08:32 PM
The second was for the Scotland B International against Northern Ireland when Darren Jackson scored one of the best goals of all time. Unfortunately there were no cameras there and I saw little of the action between the columns and standing spectators and only caught a glimpse of the goal.

As each year goes by, I'm sure I add on another yard to that strike :greengrin

Glad someone saw it though and rates it as highly as I do. If memory serves, it was a dipping right foot volley that seemed to drop at the last minute and arrow it's way into the top corner?

Gatecrasher
22-02-2010, 08:38 PM
my first memory was in the cowshed about 4 years old wishing i was in the east :greengrin

my dad said i was too young

weecounty hibby
22-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I used to get taken to the old north stand by my uncle so my first memory is of looking over at this huge mountain on the other side of the pitch. My first memory of being on the east was a game versus St Johnstone when Ally McCoist scored an absolute belter for them in a LC section game.

I have many memories of the East both as a terrace and a stand but I have to say I am glad it is going and we are embarking on another magnificent chapter in the history of Easter Road and Hibernian. Almost had a tear in my eye when I typed that.!!!!!!!!

MSK
22-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Think it was v Clydebank in the late 70's ....i was like a bairn at christmas, my first time through the Easter rd turnstyle & i excitedly made my way up those dreaded stairs leaving my Brother & mates in my wake ....then the view from the very top of that legendary terrace ..it was breathtaking (as were the steps) it dwarfed the rest of the ground, it made everything look so small in comparison..

The stench of urine, the pungent smell of thick tobacco smoke mixed wi the smell o pies & bovril ....:greengrin

Then after a bit o restructuring, the roof, the sways (particularly the Souness debut game)..the atmosphere...

Ah ..the memories ..:thumbsup:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
22-02-2010, 08:47 PM
My first memory is about 1972, went with my Grandad when aged 4/5 and I wandered off and lost him. Found him again at half-time thankfully.

BroxburnHibee
22-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Might have been in it before then but my first real memory of it was a european night against Strasbourg (I think :greengrin)

Stood on that massive terracing beside my dad - don't remember much about the game TBH - it didn't matter :wink: i was hooked.

Sudds_1
22-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Pre seg days........a dirty Hun bassa emptying his bladder some rows above us.........

......the crowd parting like the Red Sea as a river of p*sh flowed downwards, followed by my then girlfriend calling out loudly for an officer of the leuw to arrest the scoundrel.

HAPPY DAYS:thumbsup::thumbsup:

snooky
22-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Sitting on my Dad's shoulders on the 'high bit' probably around 1953 watching some (or all?) of the famous five. All I can remember of the game is that the the players looked like ants. I would have been about 5 years old.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2010, 09:17 PM
European games at night against Leeds, Liverpool, Rosenburg, Sporting Lisbon. Up at the top of the old double terrace under the scaffold tv gantry. Night games were so different to day games back then.

Hibby 2005
22-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Great atmosphere back then but also trouble, especially when the OF came to visit.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Sitting on my Dad's shoulders on the 'high bit' probably around 1953 watching some (or all?) of the famous five. All I can remember of the game is that the the players looked like ants. I would have been about 5 years old.

You can walk out of the East Stand as it is now thinking the exact same if you just focus on our midfield :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-02-2010, 09:27 PM
It was always behind the goals at the Hawkhill end for us for years but when we got fed up battling with rival fans we moved to the "middle" as we called it, this must have been 71/72, I was at the Leeds game in the pic on the Alan Gordon thread halfway up bottom section right at the center line, happy days indeed

down the slope
22-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Early sixties when they used to open the gates to let fans out early so you could nip in and catch the end of the game for free, yes the Hibbies were leaving early even then and with good cause, one of those was a Rangers game and i remember being up the top level and looking down on the colours of a winter floodlit game and i was hooked. We were getting humped again of course but Rangers had wee Henderson and half the Scotland team playing for them so it was no surprise.

7Hero
22-02-2010, 09:55 PM
1991 i went there after we won the cup.

thats it....been to a few games but the tv gantry always nipped my head, atmosphere most of the time was good though, but not been it for a good few years.

gogs_t
22-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't have a single first memory of the east as over the years they've pretty much blended together!

I do remember trying to get a space at the wall if any other kid left.

I remember the 'lift owers' - was there any way of knowing the actual attendance as nobody under 10 ever paid to get in.

I remember good times in the corner by the cowshed with my dad, who passed away a couple of years ago and my uncles, some who have also passed on.

I remember European nights against Juventus, Leeds and Liverpool very vividly
I remember not being able to move on the terracing at old firm games and being a bit puzzled by the Glaswegian accents in 'oor end'. Although I don't really remember any trouble - this was the 60's, it changed in the 70's :boo hoo:

I remember when I was a teenager, standing up at the TV gantry singing songs to Archie or Arthur depending on what TV vans were in the car park. I'm sure sitting up in these gale force winds was probably the main cause of Archie's 'candy floss' hairdo.

I was pretty much nomadic in my late teens and early 20's moving between the old south enclosure, north stand and very occasionally the seated enclosure before moving back to the terracing a few years before it became all seated. Then came a load of different memories - the 6-2 game being the stand out. Also my daughters first games were in the east before I decided that it made more sense to take er to the west where she'd get a better view whic coincided with Hibs introducing a much better pricing structure for families.

So while it brings back a lot of good memories, it's also changed over the years. From probably one of the highest terracings I can remember, to a shed with pillars that get in the way and the view so bad that you can never see both east corners :greengrin This is the next step in the history of the East.

It did have a unique atmosphere, so lets hope the new East Stand can carry the tradition

Penrith Hibee
22-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Hibs v Aberdeen the Baker boy's return and King pat scored. Hooked and I believe I cried! European nights v leeds, Liverpool, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon, v Celtic - league decider, hertz new years day and getting my head split open by a whisky glass when Hibs scored.............

Jeff

h1bs4life
22-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Early memories of the old east , european nights watching Turnbulls Tornadoes against Sporting Lisbon,FC Besa , Hadjuk Split was only 12 then, lift over then lean against the metal barrier with the other bairns at the front of the high bit.:scarf:

iainm
22-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Not my first game, but I remember the first home game of the 1976/77? season. Climbing up the stairs as usual and then seeing the new 'Bukta' strip with the logo and 'piping' down the sleeves and shorts - just seemed so exciting after seeing Hibs play in the old plain strip

And was also in the cover picture of a programme the next season along with a couple of mates at a match against St Mirren or Clydebank - leaning on a barrier on the terracing looking less than excited as Ally Scott challenged their keeper!

And every time I play 'Sensible Soccer' on the PC it always reminds me of standing at the top of the old east terracing as the players just look the same as they did from up there - tiny!!

Fond memories but progress is progress!!

GGTTH

whiskyhibby
22-02-2010, 10:24 PM
1969 (As a 4 year old) being taken in about 20 minutes to go in the 2nd half without paying by my Grandfather who lived in Albion Road, the Stewards used to open the gates to let punters out early.

Cant remember who we were playing, we were leading 2-0 I think and then scored another, but remember my legs were knackered by the time I got to the top!!

:jamboak::jamboak::jamboak:

snooky
22-02-2010, 11:11 PM
You can walk out of the East Stand as it is now thinking the exact same if you just focus on our midfield :greengrin

:faf::faf::faf::thumbsup:

HibeeMcGinn1
23-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Went to my 1st game in the East. Cup win against Alloa when Chico scored the half way goal. My papa took me along when my dad was at work. Always had in my head that he can take my kid to his 1st game. GGTTH

ozhibs1875
23-02-2010, 01:15 PM
a big poo frozen in pee in the bogs

thats all i remember from that game.....was a bit young though:greengrin

12AlbionPlace
23-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Like many on here have mentioned the long climb up the hunners of stairs to get to the top and be met with the glorious sight of that green pitch.

Good
Souness game
Derby game when we hadn't won in ages and Eddie May and Paul Kane scored.

Bad
Celtic CS gas
All the games in that 22 match run against them.

Changed days I'm now rustling sweetie papers in the West:greengrin

I guess it's progress but we'll miss the old girl.

--------
23-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Climbing up over the brow of the staircase at the North-East corner of the ground on a winter's afternoon in the early 1960's to see the pitch glowing under the floodlights and the teams warming up for the game.

Just that first sight of the Holy Ground - never forgotten.

Craig_in_Prague
23-02-2010, 01:55 PM
i think my 1st time in the east was a derby game, Mickey weir sweetly levelling the game. Finished 1-1.

I remember ending up quite a few rows down from my dad when we scored, but enjoyed there, albeit it's not ideal for a young yin.

I remember standing there as well during the hands of hibs campaign.

It might be gone soon, but will hold fond memories one way or another to each hibee.

Have to say, we'll have a very tidy stadium with a new east though, something to be very proud of.

--------
23-02-2010, 02:03 PM
i think my 1st time in the east was a derby game, Mickey weir sweetly levelling the game. Finished 1-1.

I remember ending up quite a few rows down from my dad when we scored, but enjoyed there, albeit it's not ideal for a young yin.

I remember standing there as well during the hands of hibs campaign.

It might be gone soon, but will hold fond memories one way or another to each hibee.

Have to say, we'll have a very tidy stadium with a new east though, something to be very proud of.

You said it, Craig.

I remember the open terraces in the early 1960's, the old Main Stand and the concrete roof on the Albion Road end. The removal of the top terrace, the present roof on the East going up, and the bench seating and yellow plastic ponchos, the rebuilding of the North and South ends, and then the West going up. And by this time next year the ground will be complete, a modern stadium of 20,000 seats, all under cover, a stadium to be proud of.

We've come a long way in the last 20 years, and as you say the club and STF can be very proud of the work.

Now we just need a wee bit of shiny white antique silverware to complete the job....

Craig_in_Prague
23-02-2010, 02:12 PM
You said it, Craig.

I remember the open terraces in the early 1960's, the old Main Stand and the concrete roof on the Albion Road end. The removal of the top terrace, the present roof on the East going up, and the bench seating and yellow plastic ponchos, the rebuilding of the North and South ends, and then the West going up. And by this time next year the ground will be complete, a modern stadium of 20,000 seats, all under cover, a stadium to be proud of.

We've come a long way in the last 20 years, and as you say the club and STF can be very proud of the work.

Now we just need a wee bit of shiny white antique silverware to complete the job....

Sure have !!!

Since i was young and started going, to now, roughly 22 years, is incredible the change......... AND a fantastic training centre in place.

Need to archive some photo's to tell any future kids / grand kids, and bore them of how ER used to be :greengrin

--------
23-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Sure have !!!

Since i was young and started going, to now, roughly 22 years, is incredible the change......... AND a fantastic training centre in place.

Need to archive some photo's to tell any future kids / grand kids, and bore them of how ER used to be :greengrin

Ach, you're just a spring chicken still, man.

I've been around nearly 50 years now, and I can tell you some stories about the days when men were real men, centre-halves were 'rugged pivots', goalkeepers were 'stalwart custodians', and Scottish referees were still a dirty misbegotten Huns....

I was once 50% of the entire crowd on the East Terrace at a Morton game. Just me and Eric and Eric's brolly - everybody else under cover. :devil:

johncrobertson@
23-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Remember as a youngster in the 60's being at the top of the East Terracing watching Hibs beating Rangers for the 3rd time that season - twice in the league and once in the cup game when Willie Hamilton scored in the last minute.

When the final whistle went me and my pal ( both kids ) were jumping down the wall onto the lower level when I stumbled and bumped into a huge Hun! He grabbed me and pinned me to the wall and was ready to punch me when his mate intervened - saying he's only a bairn leave him. We waited until they were a bit away - gave some verbals and legged it into the Hibs crowd going the other way.

We had a great team then, with a forward line of Scott - Quinn - Martin - Hamilton and Cormack - we also beat Real Madrid the same season, and I was there. Great terracing which holds the record for an Edinburgh football game of 65,000.:wink:

Alfred E Newman
23-02-2010, 09:00 PM
The first climb up the stairs to the top of the high terracing in the early sixties with my dad and brother to watch Hibs V Dundee in a mid week League Cup Quarter final in front of 30000. The sight of the floodlit pitch, the cigarette smoke rising out the ground billowing past the floodlights the wonderful green and white strips. Hooked for life.

ronaldo7
23-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Standing under Archie McPherson's flyaway hair next to the tv gantry on a cold windy day.

JDanielR1875
23-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Cant remember the date of my first ever time sitting in the East stand but i remember we was playing against Motherwell and Jim Duffy was the gaffer. We went up 1-0 and ended up drawing the game 1-1 thanks to Gottskalksson dropping the ball near the end of the game. I will never forget the Hibs fans calling for Duffy to GTF. I walked into the East as the players walked out and ill never forget the roar and chants of "Hibees Hibees" as the players came out. It was amazing i first seen the Hibs play in Perth aged 4 or 5. Cheerio East Stand gone but never forgotten.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised that I can't remember my first game in the East, I'd started out in the main stand as a child before moving downstairs to the North Enclosure which had the best atmosphere (and some shelter from the rain) in those days. Having looked through the record of results it must have been during 84-85 season that I migrated over to the East. I recall being in the North Enclosure for the pre season games (Newcastle & Man City) and some other games in the first part of the season, inc a defeat to Hearts when their fans invaded the pitch. First result that I recognise as being one I watched from the East is a 5-1 win over Morton in Feb 85. The roof must have went up shortly after that, and I was over there until moving back to the other side a couple of years after the West was built.

banchoryhibs
23-02-2010, 09:41 PM
In the late 1960s me and my brother standing at the wall at the centre line whilst our older cousin stood 20 steps back.

At half time of a derby whilst we were with my Dad (who was not a regular) in the upper tier - he tried to take us to the pie stall at half time - big mistake as everyone started to change ends (remember that) and there was a huge crush:greengrin

But perhaps the sharpest memory was standing at the end of the Hands Off Hibs rally looking round and wondering if I'd ever be back in the ground again - Sir Tom you've worked miracles:agree::top marks

--------
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm surprised that I can't remember my first game in the East, I'd started out in the main stand as a child before moving downstairs to the North Enclosure which had the best atmosphere (and some shelter from the rain) in those days. Having looked through the record of results it must have been during 84-85 season that I migrated over to the East. I recall being in the North Enclosure for the pre season games (Newcastle & Man City) and some other games in the first part of the season, inc a defeat to Hearts when their fans invaded the pitch. First result that I recognise as being one I watched from the East is a 5-1 win over Morton in Feb 85. The roof must have went up shortly after that, and I was over there until moving back to the other side a couple of years after the West was built.

You see, this is what gives you away.

You say IN the East, but guys of more mature years like myself started out ON the East - it was open terrace when I first came to ER, and remained so for many years after.

Open to the wind, rain, sleet, snow.... We were TOUGH in those days.

None of your wee plastic seats. No roof - not even on the structures comically described as "the toilets". No polis - they wouldnae have dared encroach on the HIGH terrace. No stewards - we'd have eaten them with the pies and Bovril at half-time. Just us Hibbies, Archie Muckphooshun on his wee bit scaffold, and the cruel North wind. Epic, it was.

We must have been completely off our trolleys. :faf:

bournehibby
23-02-2010, 10:23 PM
The first climb up the stairs to the top of the high terracing in the early sixties with my dad and brother to watch Hibs V Dundee in a mid week League Cup Quarter final in front of 30000. The sight of the floodlit pitch, the cigarette smoke rising out the ground billowing past the floodlights the wonderful green and white strips. Hooked for life.
Was there too Malcolm, won 2-0 (Gerry Baker got at least one) fantastic atmosphere standing high on the old East terracing. IIRC we went through after a 3-3 at Dens, but lost to Morton in the semi after a replay.
bh

jdships
23-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Watched my first few games from the main (now West) stand and then became a regular in the enclosure in front of the main stand.

It would probably be late 50's when the East terracing became my home.

I will never, ever forget the Barca game. What a fantastic spectacle, what a fantastic game, what a fantastic result...........

...........and, do you know, it was 49 years ago today. :thumbsup:

I must have stood close to you in the enclosure ( north side of the tunnel hard up against the fence ). Five of us met there every match . Three from Leith, one from Cowdenbeath one from P'pans .
Never met on any other occasion than the "geme" !
Like you we decanted to the East terracing .
Barcelona night we were on the top level and remember we were so tightly packed that guy's were p.....g where they stood !
Many went home that night with the back of their trouser legs soaking wet !!!!!!!!!!
When the "cow shed" was built we moved there - didn't like it and after about five/six games moved back

My first time on the east terracing was a mid week League Cup match V Airdrie , somewhere around 1947.
Uncle always took me to the stand but this day I "kipped " school and went on the East terracing

As the song says "memories are made of this " !!
Happy days :greengrin
:flag:

jgl07
23-02-2010, 10:46 PM
You said it, Craig.

I remember the open terraces in the early 1960's, the old Main Stand and the concrete roof on the Albion Road end. The removal of the top terrace, the present roof on the East going up, and the bench seating and yellow plastic ponchos, the rebuilding of the North and South ends, and then the West going up.
I recall the roof being blown off on windy night.

For a while, the end was open before a new cover was added.

sunshine1875
24-02-2010, 01:55 PM
My first game in the East Stand was Andy Goram's debut in 1987 against (I think) Dunfermline. I think we won 4-0 with Andy Goram having nothing to do except for a late save. The next week the East was bouncing after beating Hertz 2-1 (first time in ages).

Another memory was a cup replay against Dumbarton. I think I had watched Hibs play about 5 or 6 games without a goal that included the trip to Dunmbarton, when we were awarded a penalty in the first couple of minutes. As I arrived late, I rushed up the steps to the East terracing just in time to see Hibs (Paul Kane possibly) missing the penalty. Whilst almost suicidal, I could see the funny side of it.

Recent memories of the East, viewed from the Famous Fve were:

Rugby ball thrown at Craig Gordon during a derby not long after they started considering the move to Murrayfield.:faf:
Following a Celtic fans chant "You're not very good", the East came back with "You're not very clean":faf:

Bobster
24-02-2010, 02:28 PM
1st time in the East - Jimmy O'Rourke scoring a double against Dundee in 1973 after being out ages injured....still can't get over why he was allowed to leave.
Next time was against Juventus, couldn't see a thing but just remember everyone going mad when Hibs went 2-1 up. It didn't last unfortunately! :boo hoo:

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 02:51 PM
My first visit to ER was against Clyde in the League Cup in 1969 and was taken along by Uncle Billy. We climbed the banking at the back of the East Terrace and it was like climbing a mountain. The view from the top was superb and the anticipation hit me hard going down the steps. We won 4-1 that day and I think we still had Cormack, McBride and Marinello at that time. Start of a love affair lasting over 40 years (and counting). :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
24-02-2010, 03:10 PM
First time in the east was also my first game, the old cliche of being on my dads shoulders, to watch us get beat by aberdeen in about 91/92. Dad says I cried and wanted to go home at half time because I was cold but I dont believe him.............

Best games in there have been the Athens game and of course the 6-2 game. Also jumping the barrier onto the pitch after qualifying for Europe!!

It will be missed, just hope the atmosphere will be the same in the new stand.

Joe Baker II
24-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Think my first game there was the George Best no-show v Ayr United in 1980 until then used to go behind the goal. Though I do remember viewing East Terracing fighting in the Rangers game earlier that season from the North Enclosure.

Baker9
24-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I always went to the East terracing, from around 1954 till the early 70's, when I moved to the enclosure (dead posh). I can't recall the first game in the East but I have strong impressions of my first night game. That must have been around 1962 when I was allowed to go at night with pals and without adult supervision.

The climb to the top on a damp night and the first sight of the pitch, looking so green and lush. The roar as the teams came out.... marvellous.

1875godsgift
24-02-2010, 04:50 PM
First time on the East terracing was when Georgie Best came back with the San Jose Earthquakes and played a friendly. It was the first time I'd been to a Hibs match without my uncle, we always used to go to the main stand.
Can't remember the year though, or the score!
Does anybody know?

snooky
24-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Ach, you're just a spring chicken still, man.

I've been around nearly 50 years now, and I can tell you some stories about the days when men were real men, centre-halves were 'rugged pivots', goalkeepers were 'stalwart custodians', and Scottish referees were still a dirty misbegotten Huns....

I was once 50% of the entire crowd on the East Terrace at a Morton game. Just me and Eric and Eric's brolly - everybody else under cover. :devil:

I was at that game - on the east terracing in the pouring rain with a brolly ........................................ ehhhh, but my name's no' Eric.

I doot there must have been 4 of us braving that storm.

Fantic
24-02-2010, 09:41 PM
mine was hibs v partick thistle i think about 1978 turnstyles at the back and about 200 steps to climb.

Mine was Hibs v Sochaux, Uefa Cup 1976. 8yr old and freezing cold. I can remember running up and down the steps to try and heat up.

sleeping giant
24-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Even though i had been in the terracing before , the first game i really remember is Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
50p to get in and my Dad still lifted me and 3 pals over :greengrin

I also remember the fist game i went to on my own.
Hibs 2v1 Dundee Utd
Some wee hard bassa tried to steal my silky hat and i nearly got battered:faf:

I used to jump between the Terracing and the enclosure too .
Anyone else ever try to climb the pylon ?:greengrin

I'm looking forward to the new stand ! I think it will look great :thumbsup:

sleeping giant
24-02-2010, 10:12 PM
First time on the East terracing was when Georgie Best came back with the San Jose Earthquakes and played a friendly. It was the first time I'd been to a Hibs match without my uncle, we always used to go to the main stand.
Can't remember the year though, or the score!
Does anybody know?

I was at that match:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
24-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Think it was Jackie McNamara's testimonial match in August 1984 against Newcastle United.

:faf:

What ?:faf:

iwasthere1972
24-02-2010, 10:15 PM
:faf:

What ?:faf:

:doh: It's been a long day. :greengrin

I think the clue was in the question. :faf:

--------
24-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I was at that game - on the east terracing in the pouring rain with a brolly ........................................ ehhhh, but my name's no' Eric.

I doot there must have been 4 of us braving that storm.

We must have missed each other in the crowd....

Maybe you were away for a pie and Bovril when they took the photo? :devil:

You'll agree, though - the terrace was pretty well empty that day.

allezsauzee
24-02-2010, 10:18 PM
My first game in the old terracing was an 8-1 win against Killie....my dad did warn me that it wouldn't happen every week :wink:

nonshinyfinish
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
26 September 1992, 0-0 v. Dundee, 6 years old.

Shocking game, but I had the time of my life watching all the bams and learning several new words. :agree:

I have a very vivid memory of a player (Keith Wright, I think) taking a throw in right in front of us, and being shocked at how close this immortal was.

I also recall that the programme featured a diagram illustrating how we manoeuvred the ball into Anderlecht's net (twice) a few days previously - I suppose that was the closest thing to internet highlights back then.

No, no, it's nothing, I just have something in my eye... :cool2:

:boo hoo: :boo hoo: :boo hoo:

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 10:45 PM
26 September 1992, 0-0 v. Dundee, 6 years old.

Shocking game, but I had the time of my life watching all the bams and learning several new words. :agree:

I have a very vivid memory of a player (Keith Wright, I think) taking a throw in right in front of us, and being shocked at how close this immortal was.

I also recall that the programme featured a diagram illustrating how we manoeuvred the ball into Anderlecht's net (twice) a few days previously - I suppose that was the closest thing to internet highlights back then.

No, no, it's nothing, I just have something in my eye... :cool2:

:boo hoo: :boo hoo: :boo hoo:

Is that a nonshiny fisheye? Taxi!!!! :greengrin

1875godsgift
25-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I was at that match:thumbsup:
Can you remember the score?

( Take it you're not really 89, either that or you had a very strong dad! )

GRANITEGREEN 1
25-02-2010, 09:16 PM
my first match was early 70,s against killy we lost 2-0 25p to get in also remember first time in the old shed now ff we beat st jonstone 9-0 in the league cup also first time in main stand thought i was erchy with my dad(jambo) until we lost 2-1 to arbroath jimmy bone scored the winner(cup i think)

Sanger
26-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Standing on the upper deck on a Wednesday night and watching the Hibs storm down the slope. Stanton's elegant strides and cavalier football. On that night I became a Hibby even though we went 3-1 down to Rangers and I had to travel back on the Hibs bus to Hawick.

M8UDB
26-02-2010, 10:53 AM
My first memory of the east was 1990-91, I was 5 years old and we had just won the skol cup, my old man took me out that day and bought me my first Hibs strip and then took me down to the east for the trophy coming back, the atmosphere was unreal and i can still remember it!! Cant remember my first game in the east though, i was a hibs kid for years so was never in the east!!

Hibrandenburg
26-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Standing on the old terracing in the 70's watching games against the likes of Killie with around 3 000 in the stadium. You could have driven a double decker between the fans and god was it cold when a wind got blowing up and the tumble weeds came rolling past you.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2010, 12:12 PM
My first memory was coming through the turnstiles and walking up what seemed like endless stairs to the top of the old terrace and looking down in awe at the pitch below.

My memory may be playing tricks, but I think it was an evening game under floodlights and it was packed.

It seemed like I was on the top of the world. :greengrin

I was hooked.

Penrith Hibee
26-02-2010, 12:28 PM
The Baker Boy's return v the Mutton molesters 2-1 to the cabbage and I was properly hooked. I was right against the perimeter wall in line with the 18 yard line.

Jeff

Chrissie_aka_Davoo
27-02-2010, 01:18 AM
I was ten year old before my dad deemed me old enough for my first match in the East, against Killie in 1996. We won 1-0 thanks to a goal from wee Crunchie McAllister.

I've stood there ever since, the idea of sitting for a home game seems almost alien to me.

I'll miss being able just to wander about, standing whereever you like, and of course singing whatever you like :wink:

I've ran on the pitch on more than one occassion from that stand, always in celebration, and never got in any bother for it.

I'm genuinely gutted that it's going. Still hasn't sunk in yet :boo hoo:

Alex Trager
27-02-2010, 02:48 AM
In the late 1960s me and my brother standing at the wall at the centre line whilst our older cousin stood 20 steps back.

At half time of a derby whilst we were with my Dad (who was not a regular) in the upper tier - he tried to take us to the pie stall at half time - big mistake as everyone started to change ends (remember that) and there was a huge crush:greengrin

But perhaps the sharpest memory was standing at the end of the Hands Off Hibs rally looking round and wondering if I'd ever be back in the ground again - Sir Tom you've worked miracles:agree::top marks
Yogi was there with the 'leith boys'