PDA

View Full Version : SFL's House of Cards About to Come Crashing Down?

Sylar
21-02-2010, 08:45 PM
**initial disclaimer - I know many on here hate/don't care about Livingston FC, so there are 2 options for any of you, to stop a hate-fest emerging:

1) Don't read beyond this point
2) Take the story for what it is - a probe into corruption in the SFL committe/executives

Most folk on here will know I have a lingering connection/interest in Livingston - they were my local club, and I followed them for years as they made their ascension to the SPL, going to games with my dad as a wee boy. I grew increasingly discontented under the Flynn and then Massone era, as there was just too much baggage associated with the club - I keep a keen eye on the score and do still attend games on ocassion, but nowhere near regularly.

As most will know, they were dumped into division 3 from the 1st division for their unpaid debts, incurred during the era's of the last 2 chairmen. Now, regardless to opinion on the deserving nature of their demise, a 2 league demotion was previously unheard of, and at the time, I thought it was ludicrous that such a punishment was handed out - a fine, points deduction at the start of the season or even relegation to the 2nd division would all have been adequate in my eyes (particularly considering they weren't actually in administration, as they had a court-set deadline of August 13th to source sufficient funds, a full 3 days before their punishment was issued - they were demoted as they were "deemed to be heading towards significant financial difficulty").

Now it has surfaced that a number of SFL directors/executives have accepted bungs/bribes to ensure the heaviest possible punishment was metted out to Livi, despite the current owners having already agreed a buy-out/management package.

I've thought for a very long time (as have many) that the halls of governance in Scottish Football are contaminated by corrupt individuals who have personal agendas and outcomes to satisfy. If this probe into their handling of the Livingston situation comes to anything, I can't wait to watch the whole house of cards come falling down, as the inconsistency of the SFL (see Clyde and Stirling Albion) has stunk of something.

Clicky Clicky (http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2861620/Soccer-chiefs-bung-probe-over-Livingston-relegation.html)

McD
21-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Not to mention that airdie have managed to avoid relegation for at least the last 2 seasons, when their chairman has been allowed a major say in what punishment has been handed out to other clubs - surely a conflict of interests?

Coupled with airdrie's chairman (ballantyne?) being in the press on both occasions on his soapbox taking the moral high ground.....This being the man who deliberately let airdrionians go bust then bought out clydebank to ensure airdrie kept their league place, extreme bending of the rules (if not breaking them) whilst shafting airdrionians creditors and players.

The SFA/SFL is corrupt from top to bottom.

As it happens, I have no love lost for Livi, Gretna or Airdrie.

jacomo
21-02-2010, 10:20 PM
The decision to drop Livi two divisions always seemed unduly harsh and arbitrary - would the same thing have happened mid-season?

I'll take a report in the Sun with a large shovel of salt, but this looks very dodgy indeed.

Just Jimmy
21-02-2010, 10:33 PM
can't do the time? don't do the crime.

All well and good to suggest there are irregularities but the fact is, if Livingston, Portsmouth etc don't want punishment they should have got their own houses in order much sooner.
Livingston had the otherside of the coin in 2004 when they were stealing a trophy, using players who weren't theirs.

I understand your point Scott, I'm also of the opinion of corruption in Scottish football, you'd have to be daft to think otherwise, but Livingston and other clubs have manufactured a situation where they leave themselves open to punishment.
Italian football regularly punts clubs to the lower leagues for financial problems. The punishments in football are not severe enough IMO.

jgl07
21-02-2010, 10:57 PM
**initial disclaimer - I know many on here hate/don't care about Livingston FC, so there are 2 options for any of you, to stop a hate-fest emerging:

2) Take the story for what it is - a probe into corruption in the SFL committe/executives

Most folk on here will know I have a lingering connection/interest in Livingston - they were my local club, and I followed them for years as they made their ascension to the SPL, going to games with my dad as a wee boy. I grew increasingly discontented under the Flynn and then Massone era, as there was just too much baggage associated with the club - I keep a keen eye on the score and do still attend games on ocassion, but nowhere near regularly.

As most will know, they were dumped into division 3 from the 1st division for their unpaid debts, incurred during the era's of the last 2 chairmen. Now, regardless to opinion on the deserving nature of their demise, a 2 league demotion was previously unheard of, and at the time, I thought it was ludicrous that such a punishment was handed out - a fine, points deduction at the start of the season or even relegation to the 2nd division would all have been adequate in my eyes (particularly considering they weren't actually in administration, as they had a court-set deadline of August 13th to source sufficient funds, a full 3 days before their punishment was issued - they were demoted as they were "deemed to be heading towards significant financial difficulty").

Now it has surfaced that a number of SFL directors/executives have accepted bungs/bribes to ensure the heaviest possible punishment was metted out to Livi, despite the current owners having already agreed a buy-out/management package.

I've thought for a very long time (as have many) that the halls of governance in Scottish Football are contaminated by corrupt individuals who have personal agendas and outcomes to satisfy. If this probe into their handling of the Livingston situation comes to anything, I can't wait to watch the whole house of cards come falling down, as the inconsistency of the SFL (see Clyde and Stirling Albion) has stunk of something.

Clicky Clicky (http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2861620/Soccer-chiefs-bung-probe-over-Livingston-relegation.html)
Does it really make a lot of difference.

Had Livingston stayed in Division One (with or without a points penalty) they would have been odds on to drop to Division Two.

Now they have been demoted, they look odds on favourites to win pronoton to Division Two.

Livington were a Division Three club until they were promoted to the SPL by spending money they did not have. This was later followed by Gretna.

Thye both got what they deserved. I hope that the authorities will take the same action when Hearts' turn comes around.

Sylar
21-02-2010, 11:34 PM
can't do the time? don't do the crime.

All well and good to suggest there are irregularities but the fact is, if Livingston, Portsmouth etc don't want punishment they should have got their own houses in order much sooner.
Livingston had the otherside of the coin in 2004 when they were stealing a trophy, using players who weren't theirs.

I understand your point Scott, I'm also of the opinion of corruption in Scottish football, you'd have to be daft to think otherwise, but Livingston and other clubs have manufactured a situation where they leave themselves open to punishment.
Italian football regularly punts clubs to the lower leagues for financial problems. The punishments in football are not severe enough IMO.

Does it really make a lot of difference.

Had Livingston stayed in Division One (with or without a points penalty) they would have been odds on to drop to Division Two.

Now they have been demoted, they look odds on favourites to win pronoton to Division Two.

Livington were a Division Three club until they were promoted to the SPL by spending money they did not have. This was later followed by Gretna.

Thye both got what they deserved. I hope that the authorities will take the same action when Hearts' turn comes around.

I agree with both points, but Livingston are only really the case example here. Livingston were penalised for their previous financial mismanagement by administration - this resulted in the eventual relegation from the SPL. They weren't actually IN administration the second time around though, and weren't suffering from overspending - it was poor financial management from the previous chairmen in not paying bills, whilst reportedly paying for fancy cars and chiq Edinburgh penthouses!

I don't have a problem with clubs being punished for their failings, but there has to be a consistent outline which is followed under specific examples.

There appears to be no such guideline in Scottish Football, and any decisions appears to be at the behest of elected committes, inclusive of opposition chairmen and blazers who simply CANNOT be objective in their decisions if they're own club/business stands to gain from the outcome.

CentreLine
22-02-2010, 06:17 AM
There was an interesting point raised by a caller to the post-match phone in on Radio Scotland on Saturday. He supported one of the 3rd Div clubs and gave the view that many supporters feel the 3rd Div clubs and supporters were disadvantaged by the arrival of a full time team in their league. The competition became unfair and it deprived one club of the chance to be promoted. He felt there was a strong opinion that all clubs should simply stop playing Livi and agree to their promotion.
In short, they don't want them. I wonder how they will feel if hahahearts are dropped in amongst them?

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2010, 07:08 AM
There was an interesting point raised by a caller to the post-match phone in on Radio Scotland on Saturday. He supported one of the 3rd Div clubs and gave the view that many supporters feel the 3rd Div clubs and supporters were disadvantaged by the arrival of a full time team in their league. The competition became unfair and it deprived one club of the chance to be promoted. He felt there was a strong opinion that all clubs should simply stop playing Livi and agree to their promotion.
In short, they don't want them. I wonder how they will feel if hahahearts are dropped in amongst them?

They'll be delighted - 2 x full houses against Hearts would probably make them more money than playing in Div 2 for a season.

IWasThere2016
22-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Was signing a pro as an amatuer and paying his as marketing officer - or whatever it was - legal?

Tae Hell wi the Livi! :devil:

Green_one
22-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Sorry, but to me the story does not add up.

What is the source of all these bribes and who does it impact positively? Livi were no threat to the Div 1 teams (dropping points and budget) and unless someone had a hate against Livi then I cannot see who gains from this.

I also cannot feel sorry for Livi. They lived well beyond their means for years, impacted others (including Hibs!!!) and went through a list of dodgy owners. Then at the 11th hour, when they had SFL support, they failed to come up with key conditions of the taekover. Relegation looked like a decent decisioon for a change - this 10 points malarky has almost no impact in many cases.

If you want to compare the actions against Airdrie then fair enough, also add Falkirk, the ICT change of rules, Gretna etc etc. Some of these have been others protecting their own patch and others just very poor decisions. Dundee will no doubt be going through another of their boom ad bust cycles too. :grr:

I wil wait to see if the Sun story goes anywhere.