PDA

View Full Version : 'Special' teams

Mag7
21-02-2010, 07:38 PM
There are certain teams whose for no apparent reason are regarded by their fans as 'special' when in fact they are no more special than other teams.

Prime culprits for me are:

Celtic
Liverpool
Newcastle

Others?

hibernia_inn
21-02-2010, 07:39 PM
There are certain teams whose for no apparent reason are regarded by their fans as 'special' when in fact they are no more special than other teams.

Celtic
Liverpool
Newcastle

Others?

Hibs :wink:

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Accrington Stanley?:greengrin

brydekirk
21-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Celtic
Liverpool
Newcastle

Others?
maybee, its because they have special supporters that dont give up when they get beat now and again, like some posters on here.:thumbsup:

Vini1875
21-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't all fans of clubs think this about their particular club? I know I do about Hibs.

Hainan Hibs
21-02-2010, 07:48 PM

EXACTLY:greengrin

iwasthere1972
21-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Celtic
Liverpool
Newcastle

Others?

The Yams.

hibee_boy
21-02-2010, 07:51 PM

who are they?

iwasthere1972
21-02-2010, 07:54 PM

who are they?

EXACTLY:greengrin

Talk about "Milking it". :grr:

http://64.15.120.236/watch?v=hxHN2FaiTy0 :thumbsup:

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 07:58 PM
who are they?

Don't tell me you have never seen THE advert?

Mind you...25 yr old?...its a possibility right enough.

here......

YouTube - Accrington Stanley (Who Are They)? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYP1d5nN2o)

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Talk about "Milking it". :grr:

http://64.15.120.236/watch?v=hxHN2FaiTy0 (http://64.15.120.236/watch?v=hxHN2FaiTy0) :thumbsup:

You beat me to it....with a some wit thrown in:thumbsup:

I hate smart *****:top marks

iwasthere1972
21-02-2010, 08:01 PM
You beat me to it....with a some wit thrown in:thumbsup:

I hate smart *****:top marks

I was in more of a Rush than you were. :cool2:

hibee_boy
21-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't tell me you have never seen THE advert?

Mind you...25 yr old?...its a possibility right enough.

here......

YouTube - Accrington Stanley (Who Are They)? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYP1d5nN2o)[/URL]

my "who are they" was in reference to the advert (who are they? ...exactley!)....always wondered why they did it on soccer am!!

basehibby
21-02-2010, 08:08 PM
The Yams.

Special needs more like :bitchy:

Winston Ingram
21-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Newcastle fans are very special

...at least the ones Sky Sports News seem to interview are:greengrin

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I was in more of a Rush than you were. :cool2:

Boom Boom:greengrin

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 08:15 PM
my "who are they" was in reference to the advert (who are they? ...exactley!)....always wondered why they did it on soccer am!!

:tee hee: I amn't doing to well on this thread!:dizzy:

Bad Martini
21-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Celtic
Liverpool
Newcastle

Others?

When nothing else is doing ye seem to love to start these types of debates which usually amount to your opinion of someone else who pisses ye off? If its not the Scottish National Team (your usual pet hate), its Liverpool or some other random team who YOU dislike, so ye have a wee pop at.

As for being special, why of course all us followers of Liverpool are special. And in fact, I think us Hibbys are a bit special tae......and whats wrong with that? Ex-actly.

ENDOF :rolleyes:

Sylar
21-02-2010, 08:36 PM
No mention for Aberdeen?

That lot seem to think they're "hardcore" because they're the isolated club in the North East of Scotland who hate all and sundry.

Their fans are a pollution.

Hainan Hibs
21-02-2010, 08:39 PM
No mention for Aberdeen?

That lot seem to think they're "hardcore" because they're the isolated club in the North East of Scotland who hate all and sundry.

Their fans are a pollution.

I agree. Their European win in the 80's is somehow put on par with Global domination and the entire place is still stuck in the 80's. They are just as bad as the Yams when it comes to shouting about being the "3rd force".

Constantly shouting about their gigantic away support while being completely silent about their piss poor home support.

Rory89
22-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Barcelona are up there with Celtic for "fighting for a cause".

Celtic and Liverpool just get a semi everytime someone dies so they can lead the mourning, they're a "special" breed of grief junkies.

1875godsgift
22-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Newcastle fans are very special

...at least the ones Sky Sports News seem to interview are:greengrin
I buckin hate Newcastle, the yams of the "north"

They think the're IT

My hate list :greengrin

rankers
celtc
hertz
newcastle brown bottlin *******s
man u
then everybody else

_hucks_
22-02-2010, 01:46 AM
When nothing else is doing ye seem to love to start these types of debates which usually amount to your opinion of someone else who pisses ye off? If its not the Scottish National Team (your usual pet hate), its Liverpool or some other random team who YOU dislike, so ye have a wee pop at.

As for being special, why of course all us followers of Liverpool are special. And in fact, I think us Hibbys are a bit special tae......and whats wrong with that? Ex-actly.

I dunno likes, Liverpool fans regard their club as a bit more important than they actually are, its not just some guy picking on someone on a whim...

Haymaker
22-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Barcelona are up there with Celtic for "fighting for a cause".

Celtic and Liverpool just get a semi everytime someone dies so they can lead the mourning, they're a "special" breed of grief junkies.

Barcelona were the rallying point for an oppressed section of people under a fascist dictator.

killie-hibby
22-02-2010, 12:51 PM
who are they?

Accrington supplied us with Walter Galbraith.

Big Frank
22-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Barcelona were the rallying point for an oppressed section of people under a fascist dictator.
:agree:

More than just a club.

number 27
22-02-2010, 01:27 PM

As, of course, were the Basque clubs and yet nobody seems to get so misty eyed about them.

Surely its just a coincidence that all these "for a cause" romantics attach themsels to Bar$a rather than,for instance, Real Sociedad. It cant just be the trophies can it?

Alicky Ranks
22-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't all fans of clubs think this about their particular club? I know I do about Hibs.

That's true, but I think the OP is right about the clubs mentioned. Their fans give the impression that THEIR clubs have something extra, as though following them is some sort of worthier cause than just supporting a football team. Celtic and Liverpool fans are particularly guilty of this. Newcastle fans are just a bit pathetic.

Alicky Ranks
22-02-2010, 03:19 PM

What is irritatating about the likes of Celtic and Liverpool fans is that they flag themselves up as some kind of 'good guys' fighting against the odds. They don't seem to get that they're actually much the same as Chelsea, Man Utd, Rangers etc ie giant clubs that everyone else likes to see get brought down a peg or two!

Rory89
22-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Yeah and now they try and ask for a million quid just for them to grace everyone with their presence for a friendly, they sure have stuck with their roots, a real club for the people. "Mes que un club" my arse.

Lets not forget Celtic's worthy cause as well. They've been standing tall against the oppression that catholic's suffer from the masonic powers that be in football and society in general, or something.

Haymaker
22-02-2010, 03:36 PM
As, of course, were the Basque clubs and yet nobody seems to get so misty eyed about them.

Surely its just a coincidence that all these "for a cause" romantics attach themsels to Bar$a rather than,for instance, Real Sociedad. It cant just be the trophies can it?

Correct they were rallying pointes for oppressed people under Franco as well. Athletic Bilbao only pick basque players (or until very recently at least if it has changed) to preserve their heritage as well. Still doesnt detract from the fact that Barca are still special much like Sociedad and Bilbao for their communities.

Haymaker
22-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah and now they try and ask for a million quid just for them to grace everyone with their presence for a friendly, they sure have stuck with their roots, a real club for the people. "Mes que un club" my arse.

Lets not forget Celtic's worthy cause as well. They've been standing tall against the oppression that catholic's suffer from the masonic powers that be in football and society in general, or something.

They can charge what they like for a friendly, it doesnt take away that the club was a rallying point under a system of government that actually oppressed them as people.

Celtc? They took our idea and put us out of business and planned to trade on the sympathies.

Massive difference.

Rory89
22-02-2010, 03:45 PM
They can charge what they like for a friendly, it doesnt take away that the club was a rallying point under a system of government that actually oppressed them as people.

Celtc? They took our idea and put us out of business and planned to trade on the sympathies.

Massive difference.

Can you not see where I'm coming from that Barca have a cheek to make themselves out to be some anti-establishment people's club when they are in the top 3 biggest establishments in world football? I'm sure they did great things for Catalan's back in the day but now they're a global brand, not a salt of the earth club in any way whatsoever.

As for Celtic, if you couldn't see that I was being sarcastic then there's no helping you.

marinello59
22-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Can you not see where I'm coming from that Barca have a cheek to make themselves out to be some anti-establishment people's club when they are in the top 3 biggest establishments in world football? I'm sure they did great things for Catalan's back in the day but now they're a global brand, not a salt of the earth club in any way whatsoever.

As for Celtic, if you couldn't see that I was being sarcastic then there's no helping you.

Who sponsors their shirts and how much do they pay?
Who owns the club?

Barca may be huge but they still operate with principles.

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Every club will self-mythologise about their own fans, read any team website if you doubt that.

Clubs who have more media exposure attract more glory-hunters, and they get the disgusting media propaganda treatment, basically which affirms this kind of nonsense. I'm glad Hearts are still 'the wee fitba team' in the words of their club song, or the media would probably be slavishly telling us they won two world wars.

Rory89
22-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Who sponsors their shirts and how much do they pay?
Who owns the club?

Barca may be huge but they still operate with principles.

Right first of all I'm not actually anti-Barca, just don't think they're "more than a club" at all. They are like every other big business, their motivation is money and not principles. Nothing wrong with that, they're just like any other football club in that regard imo.

As for the unicef sponser, that's a fantastic marketing decision. For every Euro they lose from not having a paid sponser they'll make loads more because of how many people around the world think being sponsored by a charity makes them "mes que un club". Perhaps I'm too cynical but imo no way would a brand like Barcelona let Unicef sponser them if they thought it would have a negative effect on their revenue.

Mag7
23-02-2010, 07:11 AM

OK, so I haven't got much time for the national team (even less so now with the loathsome Levein and his 'clean slate' approach to the huns), but I'm not aware of any other 'pet hates' except perhaps Hearts (but there's nothing 'pet' about that hate, it's pure undistilled venom!). Apologies if I've touched a nerve by including Liverpool in the teams mentioned but I think that's the way a lot of non-Liverpool fans see them.