PDA

View Full Version : A few steps backwards, then giant strides forwards!

MussyHibby
21-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Just maybe the last week will work in our favour. A win against SJ this week and a win against RC and most of us will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Maybe there will be a realisation that we can't just turn up at these games and expect to win. Physcologically they know it will be tough and that will stand them in good stead for the games.

For me, at fortress ER, I expect to win both games.:agree:

greenlex
21-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Just maybe the last week will work in our favour. A win against SJ this week and a win against RC and most of us will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Maybe there will be a realisation that we can't just turn up at these games and expect to win. Physcologically they know it will be tough and that will stand them in good stead for the games.

For me, at fortress ER, I expect to win both games.:agree:

I think without Miller we will struggle on Saturday and would not be surprised to see The Saintees leave with at least a point if not all three.

An Leargaidh
21-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree but we have already learned the St. Johnstone lesson back in September when we beat them 3-0 in the SPL then they dispatched us from the league cup only three days later with virtually a score reversal from the SPL game and both matches were at fortress ER :dizzy:

I agree we cannot expect to turn up and win but I think that we cannot expect them to turn up at ER and we win either. We should approach every match as if they are a hard opponent who will walk over us and work through the 90 minutes to victory.

Expect nothing, gain something or hopefully everything :agree:

MussyHibby
21-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree but we have already learned the St. Johnstone lesson back in September when we beat them 3-0 in the SPL then they dispatched us from the league cup only three days later with virtually a score reversal from the SPL game and both matches were at fortress ER :dizzy:

I agree we cannot expect to turn up and win but I think that we cannot expect them to turn up at ER and we win either. We should approach every match as if they are a hard opponent who will walk over us and work through the 90 minutes to victory.

Expect nothing, gain something or hopefully everything :agree:

For me, on a positive note, I expect us not to lose at ER.

SJ will be a tough nut to crack, I was not looking forward to the game midweek since the postponement in December. At ER on both occasions they looked a decent side and very well organised. However, if we have faith in our manager and players we should be able to come up with a solution to defeat them, I firmly believe that. Additionally, I do believe physcology comes into it, and just maybe, SJ will expect to win.:confused: That would suit us fine.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 12:13 PM

I have seen this mentioned several times on this board.

I would be very surprised if Hibs players have indeed been taking on to the field of play the attitude that they are in any way invincible and don't have to work hard to win matches.

And if they have, on what basis have they developed that attitude? The team has achieved nothing yet this season, so where would such complacency have stemmed from. There are several experienced professionals in that side who have been over the course many times before.

Diclonius
21-02-2010, 12:16 PM
The Saints will be getting a bit ahead of themselves now, and will assume the three points are theirs. A very, very bad mistake to make if the team you're assured of beating is, after all, technically better than you.

We could hammer them.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 12:19 PM
The Saints will be getting a bit ahead of themselves now, and will assume the three points are theirs. A very, very bad mistake to make if the team you're assured of beating is, after all, technically better than you.

We could hammer them.
I really don't think any side would be that complacent when coming to ER.

As for hammering them, I cannot see them caving in as readily or as meekly as we did to them last week.

MussyHibby
21-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I have seen this mentioned several times on this board.

I would be very surprised if Hibs players have indeed been taking on to the field of play the attitude that they are in any way invincible and don't have to work hard to win matches.

And if they have, on what basis have they developed that attitude? The team has achieved nothing yet this season, so where would such complacency have stemmed from. There are several experienced professionals in that side who have been over the course many times before.

Complacency may not be the correct word but if you are constantly told you're doing well, destined for at least 3rd - hey possibly even 2nd, have the most potent offensive team in the league, have until recently conceded very few goals and in general been accepted by the media as the team to separate the old firm, I think it's only natural to maybe sometimes get ahead of yourself. Like I say, physcology is a big part of this for me.

Speedy
21-02-2010, 12:27 PM
:agree:

I'm wondering what the fuss is about at the moment. I wasn't at any of the last 3 games so I haven't seen exactly how dreadful we were but our away form hasn't been great all season so I wasn't expecting that much(4 points max?).

We just need to look forward to our next game and put the bad streak behind us. We've lost 3 games on the bounce and we're still third so all is not lost.

truehibernian
21-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I would expect the reintroduction of Riordan and Zemmama, but also perhaps Thicot, with Murray maybe pushed into midfield (or maybe Bamba). 3-5-2 to combat Saints obvious height advantages and the fact they bolster their midfield and tend to play counter attack football. Too often Miller and Rankin were fighting a losing battle, turning into trouble, and losing possession. Zemmama and Riordan were that far up the pitch they could not offer support. The way to beat Saints in my opinion is to stretch them at the back and play genuine width. Too often we cut inside and try to go through the middle, where play is condensed and players congest the area. How many times did wee Zem and Derek try to cut inside, lose possession, and fail to track back. Benji was culpable too. Their full backs must have left the pitch thinking they could do another 90 minutes again without a care. Duberry and his partner will easily snuff out Stokes unless we have them pulled all over the place with wide players getting crosses and passes into the box.

fiolex1
21-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I think we've been punching above our weight most of the season, and consistency is the key, proper contenders for 2nd place wouldn't get beat with 4 goals from St Johnstone.
Let's face it, if we finish up 5th it's an improvement from last year, I probably wouldn't be happy with this position due to the terrfic first half of the season.

If we keep on improving year on year for the next few season we might be able to split the OF or make the 3rd spot ours.

Do I think we'll get 3rd spot this season, I'm 50/50 on this

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I would expect the reintroduction of Riordan and Zemmama, but also perhaps Thicot, with Murray maybe pushed into midfield (or maybe Bamba). 3-5-2 to combat Saints obvious height advantages and the fact they bolster their midfield and tend to play counter attack football. .

If Yogi did that, he'd be accused of tinkering with the team too much.:confused: