PDA

View Full Version : Refs

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Probably the worst standard of officials i`ve ever seen this season and what part do these guys that are running the line play, a total bunch of incompetents, ruining most games as far as i can see and football is a very expensive game to watch as it is.:grr:

Barney McGrew
21-02-2010, 10:22 AM
We've certainly been on the receiving end of some very poor decisions in the last week, some of which have had a big impact on the how games ended up.

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 10:38 AM
We've certainly been on the receiving end of some very poor decisions in the last week, some of which have had a big impact on the how games ended up.

Funnily enough when teams criticise the refs they seem to incur a run of sending offs or is that just coincidence, excluding Rangers of course.

Kyle lafferty`s ridiculous challenge on Heinkel.
Kris Boyd and his em.....obstruction on Zemmama

Oh and there`s the inexplicible Motherwell goal that would have put them 2 up, maybe i`m just a little paranoid.

PC Stamp
21-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Hugh Dallas recently stated quite openly that so far it had been a poor season for officials with too many mistakes. What he didn't state (as far as I could see) is what action is being taken to improve matters or what sanctions are being taken against officials who regularly fall below standards.

I'm fully accepting of the fact that referees are like anyone else in life and make honest mistakes. However, honest mistakes are still mistakes and in most other jobs it wouldn't take too many honest mistakes to see an offender being sanctioned in some way!

Our match officials don't appear to be held liable for errors in any noticeable way and if they are then why the secretiveness? Look at England. If a referee screws up he gets demoted to a lower league game or even gets no game the following week and everyone gets told. I'll bet as a result that most of them don't then make the same error again! Up here however ..... shhhhhh!

hibs1989
21-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Refs are watched in every game they ref.

They are marked and reported back to sfa. In regards to punishment refs can get anything from completely dropped to a week in lower division maybe longer therefore less pay.

So they do get punished and trust me its not as easy as it looks to referee.

This is from experience they have to call it as they see it. Its down to each individual.

I currently ref in the amature leagues and its bloody hard to please everyone. And lets face it someone on this forum would find an issue with ANYTHING

:notworthy:

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 11:28 AM

They are marked and reported back to sfa. In regards to punishment refs can get anything from completely dropped to a week in lower division maybe longer therefore less pay.

This is from experience they have to call it as they see it. Its down to each individual.

I currently ref in the amature leagues and its bloody hard to please everyone. And lets face it someone on this forum would find an issue with ANYTHING

I agree it is difficult to ref a game but what do you think of the incidents involving Rangers?

hibs1989
21-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Personally and going with the laws of the game Boyd should have been done with obstruction using force which still carrys 3 disipline points but a yellow card and at the speed of play I would of gave a pen. Looking at the replays there is very lil if any contact.

Millers red card yesterday was harsh a yellow for both players would of been my answer. as jim obrien reaction was not needed.

:thumbsup:

MY OPINION

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
21-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Personally and going with the laws of the game Boyd should have been done with obstruction using force which still carrys 3 disipline points but a yellow card and at the speed of play I would of gave a pen. Looking at the replays there is very lil if any contact.

Millers red card yesterday was harsh a yellow for both players would of been my answer. as jim obrien reaction was not needed.

:thumbsup:

MY OPINION

Does anyone think that if Miller was in royal blue that he'd have walked for that challenge? That's why the game is dying imo.

PC Stamp
21-02-2010, 11:45 AM

No one is saying the job is easy as far as I can see? I wouldn't do it and fair play to you for doing so. Fact of the matter however is that everything to do with refereeing is done in a totally closed doors manner DESPITE them being in a responsible public position. It is not apparent to the paying customer what actions are being taken to improve the product which they ultimately fund.

MussyHibby
21-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Quality is poor, of that there is no doubt, however it continues to be too easy to point the finger. They should be better, they aren't, but some of the paranoia about bias which has gone on for years is poo poo! I may be niave but I don't believe it.

hibs1989
21-02-2010, 11:55 AM
They are now bringing in develpment classes and evening that refs get together to discuss issues and find out what should be done.

I know it harsh but they're is no need for you or any supporter to know what happens if a ref makes a mistake.

for example if i phone a call centre the advisor makes a mistake and i make a compliant i dont find out what action was taking against him??

:agree:

jdships
21-02-2010, 12:14 PM

I take your point and understand where you are coming from .
From the other side of the fence I know from my short time in the pro ranks , albeit a long time ago !, that referees remembered players that "gave them trouble" and to quote one ref " watched out for them "
I see no reason why things are any different in 2010 - a point borne out from a recent chat I had with a current SPL ref
He openly told me that the day before each game he does a "Bill McLaren" type check on the player's he is going to be "...dealing with and am then able to keep on top of things " ( his words)

Three points I would like to make.
1 Ref's are only human and have human failings .The big problem always has been and still is most have inflated EGO'S
2 I found with refereeing decisions things normally leveled themselves up over a season
3. Remember without a referee we don't have a game !!

:devil:

greenlex
21-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I take your point and understand where you are coming from .
From the other side of the fence I know from my short time in the pro ranks , albeit a long time ago !, that referees remembered players that "gave them trouble" and to quote one ref " watched out for them "
I see no reason why things are any different in 2010 - a point borne out from a recent chat I had with a current SPL ref
He openly told me that the day before each game he does a "Bill McLaren" type check on the players he is going to be "...dealing with and am then able to keep on top of things " ( his words)

Three points I would like to make.
1 Ref's are only human and have human failings .The big problem always has been and still is most have inflated EGO'S
2 I found with refereeing decisions things normally leveled themselves up over a season
3. Remember without a referee we don't have a game !!

:devil:
It works both ways too. You get to know what you will get away with with certain refs.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 12:22 PM
He openly told me that the day before each game he does a "Bill McLaren" type check on the player's he is going to be "...dealing with and am then able to keep on top of things " ( his words)
I wonder which of our players get the 'highlighter pen' treatment from referees?

Nish would probably be one. He never seems to get any change out of match officials.

Alfred E Newman
21-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Quality is poor, of that there is no doubt, however it continues to be too easy to point the finger. They should be better, they aren't, but some of the paranoia about bias which has gone on for years is poo poo! I may be niave but I don't believe it.

I don`t think that referees are bias towards the old firm or any club, it is just that most of the current crop are incompetent. The referees might be grim at the moment but the linesmen are worse and I would doubt if many of them have ever kicked a football in earnest.

Darth Hibbie
21-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I don`t think that referees are bias towards the old firm or any club, it is just that most of the current crop are incompetent. The referees might be grim at the moment but the linesmen are worse and I would doubt if many of them have ever kicked a football in earnest.

I am pretty sure most teams feel very hard done by with some of the decisions that are made through the season. Unfortunately there are more and more of these decisions every week.

StevieT
21-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Are the referees today any worse than they were years ago? Maybe's aye, maybe's no.

The game today is certainly a lot faster than it was in the past (for the older ones on this board, could you imagine 'Tiny' Warton keeping up with the pace of todays game?

Add to that the fact that the game today is covered by television cameras from most conceivable angles and you are bound to be able to pick up on more discrepancies.

Remember, a referee gets one look at it from pitch level with the possiblities of bodies in the way.

It may sound like I am supporting my referee colleagues, and I am. It isn't an easy job particularly in mind of the points I have raised above.

woody47
21-02-2010, 07:43 PM
The thing that really gets on my t its are the same statements every week that refs are only human and they can make mistakes, and that who would do their job.
What you are all missing is THEY are doing that job. No one forces them. No gun against their head. They choose to be refs.
So when they make mistakes, and by jeez, they are making them by the barrowload, something more must be done.
I am sick of paying my hard earned money each week just to see some toŁŁer in black deciding that he is going to be the centre of attraction and spoil the game with ludicrous decisions. Maybe its because a lot of these guys are jealous that they were always the last to be picked in their games in the park, or no one wanted to pick them because they were so bad - I just don't know, but they certainly appear to have a huge chip on their shoulders.
Lets see more honesty and openness from the whistlers instead of their closed shop where they will not admit when they coq up.

snooky
21-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Can't believe how many posters think the refs aren't weegie bias.
Ay been and ayways will be.
:grr::grr::grr:
They are crap as well, btw.