PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson and Cregg playing centre midfield?!?!

California-Hibs
20-02-2010, 10:13 PM
What was that all about??
Stevenson for a start is utter garbage, i don't care one hoot what all the Stevenson lovers out there think of that statement, he is. He lives off of his performance in the League Cup Final, but in reality he has very little ability. He looks uncomfortable on the ball, and should be nowhere near the Hibs starting 11...which has been the case all season and ive been delighted, then i roll upto Fir Park today to find out he's starting?!
Cregg was also poor today but i think it would be abit harsh to deem him as not good enough just yet.
But having those two start when we had Benji, Riordan and Zemmama available..? Nah sorry Yogi, that was a mistake.
We're having a fantastic season, still 3rd and in with a great chance of a trip to Hampden for a Semi Final, but we need to get back to the team that was getting us points everyweek and pushing second spot. I'm a huge Yogi fan, and i believe he is going to guide us to success, but todays team was very strange indeed...

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Correct, Riordan would have ploughed through that sand pit, and drove the team forward at every opportunity with his pace and power.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Personally speaking, I think Yogi has earned the right to name whatever team he likes right now.

The sheer difference he has made in his 7/8 months at the club is immeasurable.

Cast your mind back to last season and compare it with now. There's optimism, belief, the squad is ten times better in quality than what it was this time last year, Yogi's creating a culture, changing the outlook, upping the confidence and the belief and making everyone associated with Hibs look to the future with high hopes (save for the knee-jerk reactions to a few defeats).

I would have happily waited two years for him to get this club to where it is now on and off the park. That he's done it in 7/8 months through sheer force of will, whilst keeping everyone happy in the meantime, is a credit to the man.

He's earned his stripes so far and if he wants to take to the field with Cregg and Stevenson in midfield, who am I to argue with him, we're the 3rd best team in Scotland at the moment and that's down to him.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2010, 10:57 PM
You began your post talking about how Cregg and Stevenson were playing Centre mid, then finished by suggesting we replace them with three forward players? Of which two are wingers at best if anything in midfield.

I'm glad you're not picking the team :greengrin

Nando™
20-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Correct, Riordan would have ploughed through that sand pit, and drove the team forward at every opportunity with his pace and power.
:hilarious

J-C
20-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Must admit we all wanted the team shaken up a bit after midweek but cregg and Stevenson in centre mid is not the answer. Lets hope Yogi hasn't lost it and is now beginning to experiment at this stage of the season.

Mibbes Aye
20-02-2010, 11:10 PM

:greengrin

Personally speaking, I think Yogi has earned the right to name whatever team he likes right now.

Cast your mind back to last season and compare it with now. There's optimism, belief, the squad is ten times better in quality than what it was this time last year, Yogi's creating a culture, changing the outlook, upping the confidence and the belief and making everyone associated with Hibs look to the future with high hopes (save for the knee-jerk reactions to a few defeats).

I would have happily waited two years for him to get this club to where it is now on and off the park. That he's done it in 7/8 months through sheer force of will, whilst keeping everyone happy in the meantime, is a credit to the man.

He's earned his stripes so far and if he wants to take to the field with Cregg and Stevenson in midfield, who am I to argue with him, we're the 3rd best team in Scotland at the moment and that's down to him.

Good post. We've progressed due to the happy union of what would appear to be the right manager with the right board at the right time. Think it's fair to say that at the tail-end of the Mixu regime, many on here would have settled for a wee bit less than Yogi has accomplished so far (though not much less in truth - the behind the scenes work in developing capacity on the wage and transfer front has been building for a while; East Mains has been operational since just before Collins left; these things carry expectations).

He's done pretty well. There's going to be a lot of fair and reasonable pressure to maintain that improvement next season, build on it even. We all hope he's up to delivering obviously.

Getting back to what may have been the OP's point however - it's hard to call. We don't see what goes on in training. And I wasn't at the game. Nevertheless, I would suspect that neither Cregg or Stevenson will have a future at the club unless they can play themselves into contention before the summer. The bar's been raised through the signings we made in the last close season(which included Cregg) and their subsequent performances. We'll be looking to maintain or improve in the next window, and at this stage those two will be left behind IMO.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Must admit we all wanted the team shaken up a bit after midweek but cregg and Stevenson in centre mid is not the answer. Lets hope Yogi hasn't lost it and is now beginning to experiment at this stage of the season.

I'd have thought yogi wanted 4 battlers in the middle today, basically because the state of the pitch. It seemed to work to an extent, although we did not create much. Going down to 10 men never helped, and i'm sure had we kept 11 men on, we'd have had a few chances over the piece.

Making changes is what a manager has to do when things have not been going as you want. You can call it experimenting, i prefer to say he's reacting to what's been happening. If he did not change the team, he'd be slaughtered for keeping the same players in, who have been under performing. He cant win eh.:wink:

California-Hibs
20-02-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree with you, like ive said the position we are in from last season to now is nothing short of brilliant. My main point though is that i hope Stevenson and Cregg are never the centre pairings again, because i feel we have better options than then, and that we can play a different formation with the likes of Riordan and Zemmama in the team.

California-Hibs
20-02-2010, 11:33 PM
You began your post talking about how Cregg and Stevenson were playing Centre mid, then finished by suggesting we replace them with three forward players? Of which two are wingers at best if anything in midfield.

I'm glad you're not picking the team :greengrin

Zemmama is not a forward last time i checked :confused:

AgentDaleCooper
20-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Stevenson for a start is utter garbage, i don't care one hoot what all the Stevenson lovers out there think of that statement, he is.
tad harsh IMO, not seen him play in yonks but he always seemed like he had something.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2010, 11:41 PM

I described him as a forward player. Would you call him defensive or a holding sort? From what I see, he likes to get in forward areas and drives into them. Rarely does he venture into the Hibs half.

Jamesie
20-02-2010, 11:42 PM
tad harsh IMO, not seen him play in yonks but he always seemed like he had something.

Agree entirely - Stevenson is one to watch and all he needs is a run in the first team to prove it.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2010, 11:43 PM

I don't think he was the worst today by any means. Didn't do too bad.

California-Hibs
20-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Agree entirely - Stevenson is one to watch and all he needs is a run in the first team to prove it.

Sorry mate, but thats nonesence. He is shocking, and when you look at players we have on the books that can play midfield such as Miller, Mcbride, Zemmama, Galbraith, Wotherspoon, it clearly shows that there is no way that Stevenson should be making the team because he doesnt have anything like the ability that the other players ive just mentioned do. He should be released so that we can free up a wage and bring better it, because IMO there is alot better quality out there than Lewis Stevenson. I expect he will follow the Campbell, Gray, chisholm type players and he'll find his level in the 1st division somewhere.

California-Hibs
20-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I described him as a forward player. Would you call him defensive or a holding sort? From what I see, he likes to get in forward areas and drives into them. Rarely does he venture into the Hibs half.

In the 15 minutes that Zemmama got on the pitch today he done more than Stevenson and Cregg combined. Zemmama can play on the right wing and also in the middle. Todays game with Zemmama starting in place of Stevenson would have given us a far stronger looking midfield than we had.

J-C
20-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I'd have thought yogi wanted 4 battlers in the middle today, basically because the state of the pitch. It seemed to work to an extent, although we did not create much. Going down to 10 men never helped, and i'm sure had we kept 11 men on, we'd have had a few chances over the piece.

Making changes is what a manager has to do when things have not been going as you want. You can call it experimenting, i prefer to say he's reacting to what's been happening. If he did not change the team, he'd be slaughtered for keeping the same players in, who have been under performing. He cant win eh.:wink:

Ye in a way I suppose you're right, problem we've still got is the backup for the first team players aren't really good enough.:confused:

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Sorry mate, but thats nonesence. He is shocking, and when you look at players we have on the books that can play midfield such as Miller, Mcbride, Zemmama, Galbraith, Wotherspoon, it clearly shows that there is no way that Stevenson should be making the team because he doesnt have anything like the ability that the other players ive just mentioned do. He should be released so that we can free up a wage and bring better it, because IMO there is alot better quality out there than Lewis Stevenson. I expect he will follow the Campbell, Gray, chisholm type players and he'll find his level in the 1st division somewhere.

After you get your FIFA recognised managerial badges, have managed in the game for a number of games, watched players in training since July etc come back and pick the team.

1. Miller was playing.
2. McBride is still not match fit.
3. Zemmama was NEVER going to start on that pitch and Yogi knew that and, as I've previously stated, he's not a centre midfielder that will work for the team so it's pointless starting him ahead of Stevenson in centre mid.
4. There must be a reason Galbraith isn't getting in and he's also not a centre mid.
5. Wotherspoon was playing too (and he's also not a centre mid in the SPL)

Anyone else that should be ahead of Stevenson?

FWIW, we didn't do too badly with 10 men and Stevenson was a part of that. I'd be more worried about Cregg starting and stop hating on Stevenson.

greenlex
20-02-2010, 11:57 PM
In the 15 minutes that Zemmama got on the pitch today he done more than Stevenson and Cregg combined.
including giving possession away in the lead up to the goal.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2010, 11:59 PM
In the 15 minutes that Zemmama got on the pitch today he done more than Stevenson and Cregg combined. Zemmama can play on the right wing and also in the middle. Todays game with Zemmama starting in place of Stevenson would have given us a far stronger looking midfield than we had.

Yes, but the gameplan wasn't to play silky football as Yogi stated. There really wasn't much point in playing a team that was going to pass it all over the place with that tattie field. Therefore Stevenson and Cregg fitted the profile better than Riordan and Zemmama.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Ye in a way I suppose you're right, problem we've still got is the backup for the first team players aren't really good enough.:confused:

I agree, but he cant really do much about that in 2 transfer windows. What he's done so far is nothing short of a miracle, if it carries on like it has, we should be in for some good times, and perhaps more regularly than we have been getting them.:thumbsup:

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes, but the gameplan wasn't to play silky football as Yogi stated. There really wasn't much point in playing a team that was going to pass it all over the place with that tattie field. Therefore Stevenson and Cregg fitted the profile better than Riordan and Zemmama.

We lost the game 1-0 and the midfield was brutal :confused:
No point in trying to pass it around and play attacking football? Its funny that because if my memory serves me right, i was at a game earlier in the season at Fir Park which finished Motherwell 1-3 Hibs, with...wait for it...RIORDAN and ZEMMAMA as two of the scorers...funny that eh. :yawn:

greenlex
21-02-2010, 12:08 AM
No point in trying to pass it around and play attacking football? Its funny that because if my memory serves me right, i was at a game earlier in the season at Fir Park which finished Motherwell 1-3 Hibs, with...wait for it...RIORDAN and ZEMMAMA as two of the scorers...funny that eh. :yawn:
The pitch didnt resemble a Tattie feild that ay did it though?

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Ok, let's take two things into account.

Firstly the pitch. Do you seriously think that we should've put out a team to attack with passing along the deck linking up Riordan, Gow, Zemmama and Stokes against a Motherwell team who are industrious in their play and were on a 7 match unbeaten run? The pitch back earlier in the season would have allowed us to do so, but you saw the trouble the players had today.

Secondly, if we had brought Zemmama and Riordan on after going down to 10 men we'd have lost by more than 1. Zemmama was caught in possession for their goal, and neither of them would've worked for the cause.

We have four centre midfielders playing today to try and halt the game in midfield after a drubbing last wednesday, this was no game for Zemmama and Riordan.

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 12:15 AM
And actually, the way hero Riordan has been performing recently I can't see why anyone would argue others deserve a shot. This 'game changing player' is becoming a myth by the week. A debate for another day perhaps.

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Ok, let's take two things into account.

Firstly the pitch. Do you seriously think that we should've put out a team to attack with passing along the deck linking up Riordan, Gow, Zemmama and Stokes against a Motherwell team who are industrious in their play and were on a 7 match unbeaten run? The pitch back earlier in the season would have allowed us to do so, but you saw the trouble the players had today.

Secondly, if we had brought Zemmama and Riordan on after going down to 10 men we'd have lost by more than 1. Zemmama was caught in possession for their goal, and neither of them would've worked for the cause.

We have four centre midfielders playing today to try and halt the game in midfield after a drubbing last wednesday, this was no game for Zemmama and Riordan.

Sorry but thats rubbish, again, please see the game earlier in the season at Fir Park. Now yes, after going down to 10 men the game changed and of course we couldnt have brought these two players on, but what i'm saying is the team we STARTED with, was the wrong line-up.
Do you honestly believe the pitch was in much of a better state earlier in the season that it is now? Yes maybe abit, because it didnt have the snow to contend with, but what im getting at my friend is that before todays game we had lost 3 games out of the last 21, a brilliant stat if you ask me. And how many of those games did Stevenson start in?...NONE! How many of those games did Stevenson come on it?..One..maybe two?
Heck Thicot would have been a better option to play in the position that Stevenson did today!

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:19 AM
And actually, the way hero Riordan has been performing recently I can't see why anyone would argue others deserve a shot. This 'game changing player' is becoming a myth by the week. A debate for another day perhaps.

Oh dear :yawn:

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry but thats rubbish, again, please see the game earlier in the season at Fir Park. Now yes, after going down to 10 men the game changed and of course we couldnt have brought these two players on, but what i'm saying is the team we STARTED with, was the wrong line-up.
Do you honestly believe the pitch was in much of a better state earlier in the season that it is now? Yes maybe abit, because it didnt have the snow to contend with, but what im getting at my friend is that before todays game we had lost 3 games out of the last 21, a brilliant stat if you ask me. And how many of those games did Stevenson start in?...NONE! How many of those games did Stevenson come on it?..One..maybe two?
Heck Thicot would have been a better option to play in the position that Stevenson did today!

I'm not sure, but I'll accept Hughes' judgement over yours. And it's baffling that you think the pitch wasn't in 'much of a better state' in September?

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh dear :yawn:

I bow to your superior opinion :wink:

And that's what it's all about, opinions!

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure, but I'll accept Hughes' judgement over yours. And it's baffling that you think the pitch wasn't in 'much of a better state' in September?

:agree:

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:27 AM

And so will i :agree: But i think you will find that Stevenson and Cregg wont be started in the same midfield again, but hey we'll wait and see.

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 12:27 AM
:agree:

I mean, look at this picture from today. Check the turf.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/images/stories/newsitemimages/1953277.jpg

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I bow to your superior opinion :wink:

And that's what it's all about, opinions!

To refer to Riordan as being a myth of a player that can change games is silly IMO of course. He has PROVEN it time after time that he can produce abit of magic and can win games, this my friend is a well known fact, you simply just have to look at past games to see this.

Shrekko
21-02-2010, 12:30 AM

How many 'runs' does he need? He's played plenty.

His fan club seems to think he has some kind of divine right to a 'run' at any given time- maybe if he showed something when he came in he'd get one.

Nowhere near good enough IMO and sick of the myth's being pedalled about him simply because he appears a likeable guy and had a few good games 3 years ago in amongst some great players!!

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 12:33 AM

His fan club seems to think he has some kind of divine right to a 'run' at any given time- maybe if he showed something when he came in he'd get one.

Nowhere near good enough IMO and sick of the myth's being pedalled about him simply because he appears a likeable guy and had a few good games 3 years ago in amongst some great players!!

FINALLY, someone who knows what he's talking about! Well said mate! :agree:

J-C
21-02-2010, 12:37 AM

He had a good few games under JC and on upto the cup win, since then he's lost whatever he had.

Xray
21-02-2010, 01:39 AM

Such a shame he doesn't get complimented for having a 'good engine' like Rankin then or else he would be allowed the same run in the team. He's had less chances than most in recent years and had some good performances showing himself as a good squad player.

lEXO
21-02-2010, 02:59 AM
There lies your problem.If zemmama is not a forward player, what is he?A defensive midfielder who tracks back and helps out?No.Stevenson and Cregg get a start for the first time in ages,we get another midfielder sent off, and they are *****.Have a word.

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 09:16 AM

My problem with the midfield was that there was absolutely no width on the right and that was before the game started.

joejoefaemexico
21-02-2010, 09:21 AM

couldnt agree more, riordan hasnae kicked a ball in anger for weeks, zouma is only playing well when the going is good and obviously benji has had some decent games recently but obviously isnt a midfielder so has no reflection on cregg and stevenson being picked.

to be honest, i'm more than happy on how the season has gone, recently we have had some very poor performances and have lost the last 3 games, but it was always going to happen, if we lose against st j then i would be questioning yogi on lessons learnt from previous encounters with them.

but i will still remain happy to an extent, if we were to be 4th or lower come the end of the season i will not be a happy bunny, i thnk 2nd was always asking a bit much but i think 3rd is well achieveable with the pool of players we have at our disposal.

allmodcons
21-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Stevenson for a start is utter garbage, i don't care one hoot what all the Stevenson lovers out there think of that statement, he is. He lives off of his performance in the League Cup Final, but in reality he has very little ability. He looks uncomfortable on the ball, and should be nowhere near the Hibs starting 11...which has been the case all season and ive been delighted, then i roll upto Fir Park today to find out he's starting?!
Cregg was also poor today but i think it would be abit harsh to deem him as not good enough just yet.
But having those two start when we had Benji, Riordan and Zemmama available..? Nah sorry Yogi, that was a mistake.
We're having a fantastic season, still 3rd and in with a great chance of a trip to Hampden for a Semi Final, but we need to get back to the team that was getting us points everyweek and pushing second spot. I'm a huge Yogi fan, and i believe he is going to guide us to success, but todays team was very strange indeed...

Totally disagree regarding Stevenson. From memory, I think that's ony his second start this season. He's picked in a 4 man midfield and after 30 minutes we lose one our best players (Miller) yet you still feel the need to come on here and get ripped into Stevenson - utter garbage, lives off League Cup Final, etc, etc.

At least have the decency to judge hm over a full 90 minutes 11 v 11.

For what it's worth Stevenson wouldn't be in my first starting 11, but your attack on him after today's game is completely ridiculous and way OTT.

With regard to overall team selection for yesterday's game can I assume you wouldn't have made any changes from Wednesday night's shambles?

keep the faith
21-02-2010, 10:06 AM
The OP is a bit harsh I think. Stevenson could do a job either in the team or on the bench as a left sided midfielder or left back He is good in the tackle rarely misplaces a pass and works hard. He is not a match winner and he is not a central midfielder. That does not mean he could not do a useful job for us. He has often been brought in for big games and done really well.

People are lumping him in with Cregg yesterday and IMO Cregg does not have any of the qualities I just listed in Lewis and should be let go at the end of the season.

Barney McGrew
21-02-2010, 10:07 AM
With regard to overall team selection for yesterday's game can I assume you wouldn't have made any changes from Wednesday night's shambles?

Which incidentally included the three players (Riordan, Benji and Zemmama) suggested as better options. All of whom contributed hee haw on Wednesday night and deserved to be dropped.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 10:38 AM
"On Saturday we chopped and changed it but I have always said that even the boys that have found themselves sitting on the bench for the matter of weeks are good enough to come in and do a job. I felt that Lewis Stevenson was possibly the pick of the bunch and just needs to keep digging in."

Yogi quoted on official site (21 Feb 2010)

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Which incidentally included the three players (Riordan, Benji and Zemmama) suggested as better options. All of whom contributed hee haw on Wednesday night and deserved to be dropped.

Funny that eh, the team needed changed, but it was not changed to the team the OP wanted. We play for an hour with 10 men, we played on a tattie field, yet he wants 3 players who's commitment have been questioned since the day they signed for the club in the side. Its horses for courses, and yesterdays committed side, nearly got a deserved point, i'd say a team with benji, riordan and zemamma in it, reduced to 10 men would have been humped

Barney McGrew
21-02-2010, 10:45 AM
i'd say a team with benji, riordan and zemamma in it, reduced to 10 men would have been humped

It did on Wednesday

noseyhibby
21-02-2010, 11:28 AM
there is no way that Stevenson should be making the team because he doesnt have anything like the ability that the other players ive just mentioned do. He should be released so that we can free up a wage and bring better it, because IMO there is alot better quality out there than Lewis Stevenson. I expect he will follow the Campbell, Gray, chisholm type players and he'll find his level in the 1st division somewhere.

I can only second your thoughts on Stevenson. He really is a 1st division quality player. which is not a bad level, just not Hibs level. His enthusiasm and willingness to overcome his inabilities to try and compete with better quality players makes him attractive to managers. But sadly, he appears more often than not, as out of his depth, and a little boy lost in a sea of men in the middle of the park. He offers Hibs little, and has had long enough to prove himself at SPL level.

ArabHibee
21-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I can only second your thoughts on Stevenson. He really is a 1st division quality player. which is not a bad level, just not Hibs level. His enthusiasm and willingness to overcome his inabilities to try and compete with better quality players makes him attractive to managers. But sadly, he appears more often than not, as out of his depth, and a little boy lost in a sea of men in the middle of the park. He offers Hibs little, and has had long enough to prove himself at SPL level.

:confused: What have you based that on? He's hardly played any games recently.

J-C
21-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I think what this thread proves is we don't have a stong enough back up for our first team playerswhen they're out through injury,suspension or just off form. I think Yogi tried hard to strengthen these position but unfortunately the players avaliable were of the same quality we already have.

Stevenson proved in the past that he has a wee bit of quality about him and JC managed to harness that but he's went off the boil since his injury and never regained what he had. He has Hibs quality which he has shown before, hopefully that'll come back.

Cregg shouldn't be here, Yogi hardly played him at Falkirk and since his arrival he's made only a handful of appearances, at best a lower SPL or Div 1 player.

silverhibee
21-02-2010, 11:59 AM

If thats the case how did Bamba Hogg and Miller not get dropped either, Hogg was out of positoin i will give you that but the other two were absolutley honking on Wednesday night, but still kept there place in the team for yesterdays game.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
21-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Now Miller is banned (I assume), I'd play Zemmama & Benji in the middle with McBride, and let Wotherspoon play wingback (IMO what he was made for) I'd put Murray on at left wingback and play Deek where he should be - up front! Nae mare Rankin, plu-ease! And I agree Stevenson isn't up to the job, nor Cregg. This formation would give us more at the back, and make better use of some others.

Stack

Hogg Bamba Hanlon

Spoon Zouma McBride Benji Murray

Deek Stokes

Winston Ingram
21-02-2010, 12:01 PM
:faf:

Barney McGrew
21-02-2010, 12:07 PM
If thats the case how did Bamba Hogg and Miller not get dropped either, Hogg was out of positoin i will give you that but the other two were absolutley honking on Wednesday night, but still kept there place in the team for yesterdays game.

I fully agree.

Bamba especially was very poor on Wednesday, and was very lucky to start yesterday.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I fully agree.

Bamba especially was very poor on Wednesday, and was very lucky to start yesterday.
:agree: I expected him to be on the bench yesterday.

But he's clearly one of Hughes' regular picks; he even changed the keeper yesterday to try and get the best out of Bamba.

fiolex1
21-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but we should stick big Bamba in midfield when we're up against a strong midfield

silverhibee
21-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but we should stick big Bamba in midfield when we're up against a strong midfield

Nope, the manager should be able to see that he has not been at his best since coming back from the ANC and should have dropped him for yesterday's game, he was a nightmare at Perth and should have got the same treatment as Benji Deek Smith and Zouma got.

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2010, 03:47 PM
There lies your problem.If zemmama is not a forward player, what is he?A defensive midfielder who tracks back and helps out?No.Stevenson and Cregg get a start for the first time in ages,we get another midfielder sent off, and they are *****.Have a word.

Milky likes this. :wink:

blackhibee
21-02-2010, 04:13 PM
couldnt agree more, riordan hasnae kicked a ball in anger for weeks, zouma is only playing well when the going is good and obviously benji has had some decent games recently but obviously isnt a midfielder so has no reflection on cregg and stevenson being picked.

to be honest, i'm more than happy on how the season has gone, recently we have had some very poor performances and have lost the last 3 games, but it was always going to happen, if we lose against st j then i would be questioning yogi on lessons learnt from previous encounters with them.

but i will still remain happy to an extent, if we were to be 4th or lower come the end of the season i will not be a happy bunny, i thnk 2nd was always asking a bit much but i think 3rd is well achieveable with the pool of players we have at our disposal.

Good comments, most of which I totally agree with, the only minor point would be that the experiment Yogi used with Benji against Rangers was quite a good one, and I'd be tempted to persevere with it because of Benji's link-up play and passing ability.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Good comments, most of which I totally agree with, the only minor point would be that the experiment Yogi used with Benji against Rangers was quite a good one, and I'd be tempted to persevere with it because of Benji's link-up play and passing ability.

Although Benji was hopeless on Wednesday night, and that pitch yesterday would never have suited him. Even the Brazilians on copacabana beach would have struggled on that.:boo hoo:

California-Hibs
21-02-2010, 05:51 PM

No, i said he in not a FORWARD as in a striker. Yes he's a forward player, as in an attacking midfielder. Stevenson and Cregg was an untried partnership in a tricky game. Yes going down to 10 men didnt help, but it cant be used as an excuse for the pish poor performance that was put in by the two. As a previous poster has said, Lewis Stevenson is not good enough to be playing in a Hibs starting 11, he's a first division player. What people actually see in him is beyond me, but i suspect that alot of his fan base comes from the fact that he appears to be a likeable guy, and he's short and can occiassionally tackle.
My main point of this thread was to voice my opinion that Cregg and Stevenson shouldnt have started as the central midfield pairing. Then i focused on Stevenson because he's been here for quite awhile now, and has quite frankly (Cup Final apart) done hee haw!

500miles
21-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Stevenson and Cregg would probably work quite well together with a creative type with them. Stevenson fits nicely into that McBride mould of doing the simple things well, making himself available, working hard, decent ball winner etc. Cregg is a variation of Rankin - lots of energy, likes to balance forward and defensive play, etc. The difference for me is Rankin is better on the ball, and Cregg is more aggressive. I prefer Rankin if I'm being honest.

To expect these two to walk into the side, and look like they've being there all season when they've barely featured due to the success of thier team-mates, and when the most creative of the trio - Miller - gets sent off (wrongly), against a team that are hard to break down as it is, is a bit much.

Zemmama should probably have stepped into Millers place.

I'm not going to say that they have long careers ahead of them at ER, but they'll certainly do to be going on with.