PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller

greenlex
20-02-2010, 08:30 PM
WTF were you thinking about. A massive game for us in terms of Europe and he lets his team and us down. FFS you have bags of experience. I hope Yogi hammers you mate. :grr:

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 08:31 PM
WTF were you thinking about. A massive game for us in terms of Europe and he lets his team and us down. FFS you have bags of experience. I hope Yogi hammers you mate. :grr:

:confused:

Can you explain why he was shown a red card?

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Was it that bad a tackle? The radio guys were saying red was a bit harsh?

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Was it that bad a tackle? The radio guys were saying red was a bit harsh?

It was a booking at worst DH. O'Brien reacted angrily and made for Miller along with a couple of others and seemed to slip as he did so. I've not seen it again but I'm pretty sure Miller did nothing more than the original foul

Spike Mandela
20-02-2010, 08:36 PM
just watched it. Never a red card.:bye:

greenlex
20-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Just saw it again on Alba. Stupid challenge to make and IMO worthy of a red.

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2010, 08:37 PM
It was a booking at worst DH. O'Brien reacted angrily and made for Miller along with a couple of others and seemed to slip as he did so. I've not seen it again but I'm pretty sure Miller did nothing more than the original foul

Just watched it on Alba. It looks worse than it is and as you say the reaction of the Motherwell players wouldn't have helped - even the keeper was up for his say! Looks like the linesman had a bit of input into the decision as well.

Jonnyboy

As I said A, I've not seen it again but my recollection is that it was no more than a yello

MSK

just watched it. Never a red card.:bye:Opinions eh ..:greengrin

forthhibby
20-02-2010, 08:39 PM
still think it was never a red card challenge

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Just saw it again, and personally i think it was a yellow card, i can see why he sent him off though. I think the ref over reacted, and the Motherwell players contributed towards him going off

greenlex
20-02-2010, 08:40 PM
just watched it. Never a red card.:bye:
Thought at the time it was stupid and reckless and TV hasn't changed my mind.
Actually didnt look as bad on TV as it did at the game. H e had just given the ball away and lunged at the boy taking him out probably out of frustration as much as anything.

Billy Whizz
20-02-2010, 08:40 PM
At the game today I thought that it was a harsh tackle. Just watched again on ALBA and although he was late it was never a RED card.O'Brien used both hands and should have went for retaliation.
When your luck is down.........
Unfortunately can't appeal unless the Ref admits he made a mistake.7

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately can't appeal unless the Ref admits he made a mistake.7

I think you can appeal but the referee has to admit he was wrong or it won't be overturned! If you don't appeal at all they won't over rule him.

It's a great system we have in place. :rolleyes:

ScottB
20-02-2010, 08:43 PM
In any case O'Brien should have been off, unless of course he was also done for 'obstruction' :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 08:44 PM
In any case O'Brien should have been off, unless of course he was also done for 'obstruction' :wink:

:agree:

I also think the crowd reaction influenced the referee

greenlex
20-02-2010, 08:47 PM
This is true and you are spot on. It doesnt however IMO excuse Miller from his rashness.

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2010, 08:49 PM
O'Brien's reaction wasn't worthy of a red card either. He didn't throw a punch or anything. Ref and linesman panicked - if it hadn't turned into a 20-odd man shoving match Miller would've got a yellow and that would've been that.

Green4Go07
20-02-2010, 09:04 PM
At the time i thought rash challenge from Miller through frustration yellow card at worse.Obrien retaliation looked like a red card.After watching incident on Alba,two yellow cards would suffice,but unfortunatly the referee reacted to to third party tupence worth.

Toaods
20-02-2010, 09:21 PM
perhaps Motherwell players expected something to go their way after all their whining about last week's terrible refereeing decision that went against them.

iwasthere1972
20-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Not the best of angles to see the incident from (Alba version) but the only one. Thought a red card was a bit harsh considering how quickly O'Brien got back up to have a go.

Miller should have hit him harder to justify a red card.

Mantis Toboggan
20-02-2010, 10:06 PM
At the time i thought rash challenge from Miller through frustration yellow card at worse.Obrien retaliation looked like a red card.After watching incident on Alba,two yellow cards would suffice,but unfortunatly the referee reacted to to third party tupence worth.

exactly. special kudos to the motherwell support who must have shouted for every single possible offence throughout the game. never heard anything like it! lovely wee rendition of the famine song immediately after the sending off as well. the fact that jim o'brien is a mcgeady-esque plastic irishman was presumably lost on them.

CB_NO3
20-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Tit

greenlex
20-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Tit
So are you agreeing or disagreeing? :greengrin

Removed
20-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Tit

Greenlex or Miller :greengrin

Frank Moon
20-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I was in the centre stand and at half time at the pie stand many of the Motherwell fans were commenting they thought there would have been two reds once Miller got his. Some folk behind me actually said they thought their man was the one to get the red for retaliation.

MussyHibby
20-02-2010, 11:46 PM
FWIW, I thought it was a bit red mist from LM because he lost possession again and rashly followed through on the 'well player. A sending off in itself, probably no, but it was for me his rashness in trying to make up for losing possession that made his challenge LOOK worse than it was.

As for the 'well player, for me it was either two reds or two yellows.

In summary, a guy of his experience shouldn't have let it happen.

Hainan Hibs
20-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Tit

Come on, get off the fence and let us know what you are really thinking.

:greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
20-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I watched it on Alba and thought at very worst it was a yellow. As someone said, every motherwell player dived in including ruddy.
BUT, some on here have been saying for a few weeks that it is only a matter of time before Miller got sent off. Hopefully he realises now, he cant dive in late, etc

PC Stamp
21-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I think you can appeal but the referee has to admit he was wrong or it won't be overturned! If you don't appeal at all they won't over rule him.

It's a great system we have in place. :rolleyes:

It's akin to getting done for a crime and the same judge who found you guilty hearing your appeal!!! :rolleyes:

Calvin
21-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Law 12:

Sending-off Offences:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play (Foul play yes, but not serious - studs are not up, it is simply just a late challenge)
• violent conduct (We're assuming that Liam's squirming around with flailing arms is not the cause, and the original tackle certainly wasn't violent)
• spitting at an opponent or any other person (Obviously not)
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area) (Obviously not)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick (Obviously not)
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures (Obviously not)
• receiving a second caution in the same match(Obviously not)

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

So none of the criteria are met.

greenlex
21-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Law 12:

Sending-off Offences:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play (Foul play yes, but not serious - studs are not up, it is simply just a late challenge)
• violent conduct (We're assuming that Liam's squirming around with flailing arms is not the cause, and the original tackle certainly wasn't violent)
• spitting at an opponent or any other person (Obviously not)
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area) (Obviously not)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick (Obviously not)
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures (Obviously not)
• receiving a second caution in the same match(Obviously not)

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

So none of the criteria are met.
He will have been sent off for serious foul play. From where I was he was intent on making the foul with little intent to play the ball if any. He was frustrated and lunged into the Guy. Whether he made contact or not he made the officials make a decision. Its pure conjecture whether it was the right decision or not but he is experienced enough to not make them make one.
IMO it was a rash challenge where there was no need and a player with his experience should know better. He let everyone down yesterday in a huge game for Hibs.

Calvin
21-02-2010, 12:26 AM
He will have been sent off for serious foul play. From where I was he was intent on making the foul with little intent to play the ball if any. He was frustrated and lunged into the Guy. Whether he made contact or not he made the officials make a decision. Its pure conjecture whether it was the right decision or not but he is experienced enough to not make them make one.
IMO it was a rash challenge where there was no need and a player with his experience should know better. He let everyone down yesterday in a huge game for Hibs.

Yes, definitely will have been sent off for that. But the thing is, it wasn't. If it is serious foul play to intentionally only play the man, then every time a defender commits a 'good foul' e.g. when the opposing team is counter attacking, it should be a red card by that logic.

I agree to an extent that he shouldn't be making those challenges but I also disagree with the referee's assessment of the seriousness of the foul play. It wasn't dangerous to the other player.

El Gubbz
21-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Thought at the time it was stupid and reckless and TV hasn't changed my mind.
Actually didnt look as bad on TV as it did at the game. H e had just given the ball away and lunged at the boy taking him out probably out of frustration as much as anything.

Don't tell me you are the deluded tosser who sat infront of me today?

lEXO
21-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Guy makes a mistimed tackle, could have went either way.Dont think he let us down.Bad form is letting us down more at the moment.Saying that, better now, than earlier in the season when it usually happens.Time to get it out of our system for the cup and league run in.We will get better, of that i,m sure.

FWIW, I thought it was a bit red mist from LM because he lost possession again and rashly followed through on the 'well player. A sending off in itself, probably no, but it was for me his rashness in trying to make up for losing possession that made his challenge LOOK worse than it was.

As for the 'well player, for me it was either two reds or two yellows.

In summary, a guy of his experience shouldn't have let it happen.
You have been moaning about Miller for ages now.Only when we are not winning though.Think outside the box(as you like to say) and tell us who is better in our midfield?

TheMentalHibees
21-02-2010, 04:09 AM
You have to laugh when you see some of the crap that our players get sent off for. Compare it to some of the horrorshow stuff you see from the Huns and the Mhanks, and it's little wonder the referees get hammered. Was Millers tackle anwhere near as bad as Thomshuns assault on Zemmama last week or Boyd purposely elbowing Zemmama in the face? I highly doubt it.

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-02-2010, 08:24 AM
You have to laugh when you see some of the crap that our players get sent off for. Compare it to some of the horrorshow stuff you see from the Huns and the Mhanks, and it's little wonder the referees get hammered. Was Millers tackle anwhere near as bad as Thomshuns assault on Zemmama last week or Boyd purposely elbowing Zemmama in the face? I highly doubt it.:top marksNo it wasn't. That is the frustrating thing in a nutshell. It's the complete lack of consistency with the refs. Look at Lafferty's tackle on Andreas Hinkel earlier on in the season, which resulted in a yellow. There's just no comparison with Miller's! The ref should have had a calming influence on the game but seemed to add to the drama with his posturing. In other words he was ****in clueless!

MussyHibby
21-02-2010, 09:22 AM
You have been moaning about Miller for ages now.Only when we are not winning though.Think outside the box(as you like to say) and tell us who is better in our midfield?

I have commented on what I believe is an inflated opinion of LM, at a time incidentally when we were winning. That view hasn't changed. Maybe for the games he is out, we can look a more physically threatening midfield with Thicot or even Bamba in there.

If he was eligible to play, I'd play him. So not criticising, I just posed the question on our thoughts on him and whether they were exaggerated or not. Maybe more appropriate now?

Also, if what happened yesterday with LM happened TO us, say by an old firm player or a jambo, we'd have been screaming for a sending off. That's called hypocrisy.:agree:

greenlex
21-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Don't tell me you are the deluded tosser who sat infront of me today?

Doubt it. Maybe a tosser but don't think I am deluded.

Monktonhall 7
21-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Only saw it on SSN, but thought it was very harsh, and cant understand why the fat red faced linesman was so involved. The ref must have had a better view of the tackle than he did, and the retaliation was a red card. I've seen players sent off for a lot worse. Over the last few months, starting with Fords lunge at Maka, at Killie, pobably some of the worst refereeing decisions for a long time.

JimBHibees
21-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Very harsh red card, a straight forward booking and was made worse by the complete over reaction by the Motherwell team obviously knowing how important Miller is to Hibs. The ref was out his depth and handled it very poorly IMO. If he was going to send off Miller then O'Brien had to go also IMO.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Also, if what happened yesterday with LM happened TO us, say by an old firm player or a jambo, we'd have been screaming for a sending off. That's called hypocrisy.:agree:
But if our player had reacted in the same way that O'Brien did, we would all have been thinking that he was extremely lucky to have remained on the park.

That is called even-handedness.

Bad Martini
21-02-2010, 07:27 PM
It was NOT a straight sending off. FACT. It was a definite yellow card and a stupid one at that but it was no worse than that animal boyd against us (canny mind who he attacked) or in fact, Thomsons attempted lunge either.

As for the arse who retaliated - he SHOULD have been sent off tae. He practically tried to hook Miller in the boat. So, if Miller deserved a red, so did this bam. A yellow? For an attempted smack - the boy was raging (possibly justifiably) but he still reacted and should have been punted anaw.

Pish refereeing for sure. 2 yellows would have done.

ENDOF

Liam89
21-02-2010, 07:29 PM
It was NOT a straight sending off. FACT. It was a definite yellow card and a stupid one at that but it was no worse than that animal boyd against us (canny mind who he attacked) or in fact, Thomsons attempted lunge either.

As for the arse who retaliated - he SHOULD have been sent off tae. He practically tried to hook Miller in the boat. So, if Miller deserved a red, so did this bam. A yellow? For an attempted smack - the boy was raging (possibly justifiably) but he still reacted and should have been punted anaw.

Pish refereeing for sure. 2 yellows would have done.

ENDOF
:agree: zooma by the way.

truehibernian
21-02-2010, 07:30 PM
To be fair to the ref, he sought the advice of the linesman before dishing out the red card. Though harsh, it was a red IMO. Frustration from losing possession needlessly, and perhaps the way the game was going (from Miller). It's just a crying shame that football has descended into a sport less violent than needlecraft. The Motherwell pitch however is so bad (again) that really all the other SPL clubs need to unite and have them looked at. I know ER is not at it's best this month, but they really do take the cake when it comes to poor groundsmanship. At times it looked like beach football. :bitchy:

Bad Martini
21-02-2010, 07:41 PM
The Motherwell pitch however is so bad (again) that really all the other SPL clubs need to unite and have them looked at. I know ER is not at it's best this month, but they really do take the cake when it comes to poor groundsmanship. At times it looked like beach football. :bitchy:

I'm sure I've seen tattie fields in better shape...it was a ****ing disgrace - in fact, I'm sure the much maligned San Marino pitch (where we struggled to take a 2-2 draw) was in better nick and that IS a ****ing tattie field. Bad sheite and ye canny play fitba on crap like that....:grr::grr::grr: