PDA

View Full Version : A massive positive that shouldn't be overlooked

shamo9
20-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Every team goes through a bad patch in a season. We currently find ourselves up to our ankles in our one at this very moment. The 'massive positive' that I was referring to is the fact that, despite this, we still find ourselves in third.

If (IF!) we can get behind the team and bounce back next week, the 'incidents' over the past week won't have actually done any real tangible long term damage to our third place aspirations. In fact, the only damage it would have done is to the morale of our challengers, who missed the opportunity to capitalise on our blip.

Every team can use a sobering reality check every once and a while to refocus the mind. If the players remember the feelings of hurt and humiliation caused by these defeats, hopefully that will drive them on even further as we enter the 'business' end of the season where getting results is paramount.

:thumbsup:

FrankDiscussion
20-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Agreed, the players should pick up from this, but it does seem like everyone down Easter Road way has taken mental pills over the last month or so.

I had hoped the home game against the Huns would have been the wakeup call, ie, "right lads, that's it settled, forget the league, forget second, let's get on with finishing ahead of the rest", but then the fact that Celtic are mince has kept us in the hunt for second. I'm obviously not complaining at that, but you can imagine that perhaps the players have been blinded by the lights.

Hopefully this time they'll pick up the pieces and keep it going til the end of the season.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I think we've shown already this season that we can overcome bad results and bounce back. This current period of bad results has lasted longer than before, but Rangers, St Johnstone and Motherwell away are not exactly three games where we were overwhelming favourites.

Yogi's creating a culture at the moment, we'll bounce back.

Almost every interview he's given this season, he's said pretty much the same thing. It's repetitive. And it needs to be. It shows that he's ramming that message home to his players every single day in training.

If you keep repeating the same thing over and over again, sooner or later it'll manifest and become part of the mindset.

The players are on board, they love playing for him and personally, I can't think of a better manager to have at the helm than Yogi.

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Every team goes through a bad patch in a season. We currently find ourselves up to our ankles in our one at this very moment. The 'massive positive' that I was referring to is the fact that, despite this, we still find ourselves in third.

If (IF!) we can get behind the team and bounce back next week, the 'incidents' over the past week won't have actually done any real tangible long term damage to our third place aspirations. In fact, the only damage it would have done is to the morale of our challengers, who missed the opportunity to capitalise on our blip.

Every team can use a sobering reality check every once and a while to refocus the mind. If the players remember the feelings of hurt and humiliation caused by these defeats, hopefully that will drive them on even further as we enter the 'business' end of the season where getting results is paramount.

Sounds more like a cry of hope than anything else to me.

We are at the business end of the season, and we aren't getting the results.

Ok we are still in 3rd place, but if things do not improve, quickly, we can slip down that league just as rapidly.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Sounds more like a cry of hope than anything else to me.

We are at the business end of the season, and we aren't getting the results.

Ok we are still in 3rd place, but if things do not improve, quickly, we can slip down that league just as rapidly.

Your post sounds like blind panic. If yer auntie had baws and all that. What if we win our next 5 games, will that mean we are back in the championship race?

CallumLaidlaw
a cry of hope might have been if we'd slipped to 5th, and were talking about what we needed to do to get back to 3rd, BUT, as said, we are still 3rd.
The teams below us still need to do better than us.
We are more than capable of beating St Johnstone, and going on a wee run again. Back to basics tho I feel

Ravelston Hibby

Never mind!!!

What you and Pedantic say seems right to me!!!

Keep the belief!...despite the recent gash results!!!

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Your post sounds like blind panic. If yer auntie had baws and all that. What if we win our next 5 games, will that mean we are back in the championship race?

You could be right, but there is a reason to panic, no??

3 losses in a row, strange team selections, sending offs left, right and centre. Just when we should be cementing our position, we appear to self destructing.

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:09 PM
a cry of hope might have been if we'd slipped to 5th, and were talking about what we needed to do to get back to 3rd, BUT, as said, we are still 3rd.
The teams below us still need to do better than us.
We are more than capable of beating St Johnstone, and going on a wee run again. Back to basics tho I feel

Recent results suggest otherwise.

CallumLaidlaw
20-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Recent results suggest otherwise.

Before we beat Celtic at Parkhead, on paper should we have beat them.

Yes St. Johnstone beat us 5-1 last week, and even 2-1 in the cup, but right before the cup game, we beat them 3-0.
And there is a reason why we are 3rd and they are in the bottom 6.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 11:17 PM

3 losses in a row, strange team selections, sending offs left, right and centre. Just when we should be cementing our position, we appear to self destructing.

No, i don't think there is any reason to panic. Look at the games, Rangers we played well, were unlucky to not be winning at half time, but lost to a good Whittaker goal, the penalty was never a penalty, and the 3rd goal was terrible luck. St Johnstone we were slaughtered, and today we deserved a point, and would imho got one if we had kept 11 men on the pitch.

We have had one bad performance in the last week. As for the managers team selections, what evidence do you have, that your team would have done any better. Yes Nish deserved his one, but millers was a yellow, the ref got that wrong. We will get better, have a bit of belief FFS. I can see why Aberdeen fans are upset, but we have no right to be were we are, yet we are there, and that's not good enough for some, and others are panicking like ****. :bitchy:

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:22 PM
No, i don't think there is any reason to panic. Look at the games, Rangers we played well, were unlucky to not be winning at half time, but lost to a good Whittaker goal, the penalty was never a penalty, and the 3rd goal was terrible luck. St Johnstone we were slaughtered, and today we deserved a point, and would imho got one if we had kept 11 men on the pitch.

We have had one bad performance in the last week. As for the managers team selections, what evidence do you have, that your team would have done any better. Yes Nish deserved his one, but millers was a yellow, the ref got that wrong. We will get better, have a bit of belief FFS. I can see why Aberdeen fans are upset, but we have no right to be were we are, yet we are there, and that's not good enough for some, and others are panicking like ****. :bitchy:

I'll leave the 'belief' to the yams. I will go on results, as this is what gets us in a strong position and although we are still in 3rd we are only there by the skin of our teeth and, at the moment, that position looks to be pretty precarious.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I'll leave the 'belief' to the yams. I will go on results, as this is what gets us in a strong position and although we are still in 3rd we are only there by the skin of our teeth and, at the moment, that position looks to be pretty precarious.

I also go on results, and we are 3rd on merit NOW. :notworthy:

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:32 PM
I also go on results, and we are 3rd on merit NOW. :notworthy:

And the way we are playing now we won't be for long...on merit.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 11:33 PM
And the way we are playing now we won't be for long...on merit.

Whats next weeks score?

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Whats next weeks score?

If we play the same tactics we will lose.
It could, though, be a blessing in disguise that we will be without Miller as Yogi will now be forced into Strengthening the midfield.

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Chill everyone!

We just lost 3 AWAY games. We should really have picked up some points but were not good enough. Put it into perspective, if it had been 3 home games then I would be seriously worried.

The next game is massive now thanks to the poor results away from home, we MUST take 3pts from every home game now as it looks like we are suffering on our travels just now. I have faith that we can grind it out at home.

I reckon Its gonna be Yo-Yo with Utd from now until the end of the season with possibly even Murderwell coming back into contention. The fans are gonna have to stay firmly behind the manager and team in the run in.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Chill everyone!

We just lost 3 AWAY games. We should really have picked up some points but were not good enough. Put it into perspective, if it had been 3 home games then I would be seriously worried.

The next game is massive now thanks to the poor results away from home, we MUST take 3pts from every home game now as it looks like we are suffering on our travels just now. I have faith that we can grind it out at home.

I reckon Its gonna be Yo-Yo with Utd from now until the end of the season with possibly even Murderwell coming back into contention. The fans are gonna have to stay firmly behind the manager and team in the run in.

Well that's not going to happen, is it?:bitchy:

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 10:35 AM

No, cos we are Hibs:thumbsup:

erskine-hibby
21-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Just like the fans were firmly behind the last manager eh??

Dirkster23
21-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Did we not finish 6th in the League last year? Since then we've added Stokes, Miller, McBride, Smith, Stack and got Benji and Zemmama back.

In that time Rangers have gone into financial meltdown, Celtic have attempted to rebuild during the season and the Jambo's have sold and attempted to replace players with third raters from the European lower leagues.

Most people on here (including myself) have Miller and McBride down as one of the best central midfield partnerships in the league. We've got striking options that are better than any team outwith the OF and is there another team with the goalkeeping depth we now have?

Given all that, is it really too much to expect us to be in 3rd place? I'm not sure it is. The OF have their problems, Aberdeen are skint, Motherwell, United and the Jambo's have all replaced their managers during the season.

I'm far from filled with doom and gloom about this season, but i am worried we're starting to let a golden opportunity to finish 3rd slip away.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Did we not finish 6th in the League last year? Since then we've added Stokes, Miller, McBride, Smith, Stack and got Benji and Zemmama back.
We also lost Jones and Fletcher, still have bombscare Bamba, Rankin, no right back, Hogg who is useless, Riordan playing left midfield who's not trying a leg, and both Morrocans who turn it on when they feel like it. McBrides always injured, and Stack is a poor mans Maka, yet all that and we are 3rd, way ahead of what MOST of us thought we would ne.
In that time Rangers have gone into financial meltdown, Celtic have attempted to rebuild during the season and the Jambo's have sold and attempted to replace players with third raters from the European lower leagues.
Both clubs are still a million miles from us, why anyone trys to compare us to them i dont know?
Most people on here (including myself) have Miller and McBride down as one of the best central midfield partnerships in the league. We've got striking options that are better than any team outwith the OF and is there another team with the goalkeeping depth we now have?
Yet when McBrides fit, we do compete well, but unless its escaped your notice, McBrides not playing a lot these days?, and our forwards are the best outside the old firm, maye, but we only play with one most of the time, and another out of position.
Given all that, is it really too much to expect us to be in 3rd place? I'm not sure it is. The OF have their problems, Aberdeen are skint, Motherwell, United and the Jambo's have all replaced their managers during the season.
As i disagree with all you say above, yes i think it was too much to think we'd make 3rd, yet we are there and still people are moaning.
I'm far from filled with doom and gloom about this season, but i am worried we're starting to let a golden opportunity to finish 3rd slip away.
If anyone had said to me at the start of this season, we'd be challenging for 3rd and in the quarter finals of the cup come the end of February, i'd have taken that, and i think most fans would be the same. It seems people want more now.

Dirkster23
21-02-2010, 12:10 PM
If anyone had said to me at the start of this season, we'd be challenging for 3rd and in the quarter finals of the cup come the end of February, i'd have taken that, and i think most fans would be the same. It seems people want more now.

Tell me where i say i'm unhappy with being third in the league and in the quarters of the cup??

Tell me where i compare us to the OF?? All i did was compare the situations other clubs in the League find themselves in when we've been fortunate enough to invest in our squad and bring in genuine quality. I said it wasn't too much to expect us to be going for 3rd, i don't expect us or anyone else to be splitting the OF.

It's maybe Yogi's first season in charge, but given the quality he's been allowed to bring in plus the state of our main challengers we should be aiming for 3rd this season.

I could be wrong but has Yogi not recently stated that he's set a target of Europen football next year? If so, that means he's targetting at least 4th place and/or the Cup final.

As i said, i'm more than happy with the season so far, just don't want us to throw away all the hard work we've done up to this point.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Tell me where i say i'm unhappy with being third in the league and in the quarters of the cup??
I never said you were complaining?
Tell me where i compare us to the OF?? All i did was compare the situations other clubs in the League find themselves in when we've been fortunate enough to invest in our squad and bring in genuine quality. I said it wasn't too much to expect us to be going for 3rd, i don't expect us or anyone else to be splitting the OF.
If you were not comparing then why mention the old firm?
It's maybe Yogi's first season in charge, but given the quality he's been allowed to bring in plus the state of our main challengers we should be aiming for 3rd this season.
What position are we?
I could be wrong but has Yogi not recently stated that he's set a target of Europen football next year? If so, that means he's targetting at least 4th place and/or the Cup final.
Again, what position are we?
As i said, i'm more than happy with the season so far, just don't want us to throw away all the hard work we've done up to this point.
Who does?

Dirkster23
21-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Who does?
I never said you were complaining? i asked where i said i was unhappy with our current position. I'm happy with 3rd and not looking for more as you suggested in your reply.
If you were not comparing then why mention the old firm? Because they're part of the league we play in?? I mentioned Hearts too, but don't see them as a team we're directly competing against :wink:
What position are we? We're in third place! However, we had a chance to put some serious space between us and 4th over the last couple of weeks. We failed to do this, have had two players and the manager banned and our goal difference that was like another point has been seriously eroded. Reason to panic? NO, but certainly reason to be concerned.
Again, what position are we? If Yogi can state that is his goals is it so wrong for the fans to be looking for the same things?

heretoday
21-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Of course it's a thundering disappointment that Hibs have suddenly become so bad but it was ever so. Anyone with a memory longer than the start of the season will know that supporting Hibs is a bumpy ride. Even the Tornadoes could take us to dizzy heights and then go to Dumbarton and get stuffed 4-0.

Let's face it Hibs have been blessed so far this season. They've had breaks for once - that never used to happen much - and the injury/suspension list has not been a burden. They've made their luck. They've kept going till the end of games. Now they've caught a cold.

It's not terminal. Yogi has got a good thing going. If he sticks around and his best players do too then in two or three years time we might win a big one. I'm not expecting anything till then.

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 01:18 PM
It's not terminal. Yogi has got a good thing going. If he sticks around and his best players do too then in two or three years time we might win a big one. I'm not expecting anything till then.
The squad will be radically different in two or three years time - that's the Hibs way as well. :greengrin

It would be unlikely for us still to have the likes of Stokes and Miller in season 2011/12.

basehibby
21-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Yogi recently set the TARGET for the season to be 3rd place and he was quite right to do so, his new look side having shown the consistency of results to be still in touch with Celtic at the time.
Does that mean we should EXPECT to be there though? Of course not - finishing 3rd will require a scrap all the way to the line with all the other teams and Dundee Utd in particular aiming to make it as diffficult as possible for us.
What we can do is HOPE and give the team every bit of backing and encouragement we can from the stands every game. I think the OP is right that the last few results are a reality check - but not just for the players - for the fans as well.
Hopefully the fans as a whole will now realise that we have no right to sit complacently in the stands expecting an easy victory to be served up on a plate, and rather than sitting on our hands or moaning will get right behind the team on saturday and help to urge them on to victory!

BEEJ
22-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Hopefully the fans as a whole will now realise that we have no right to sit complacently in the stands expecting an easy victory to be served up on a plate, and rather than sitting on our hands or moaning will get right behind the team on saturday and help to urge them on to victory!
Complacency is not the issue amongst the support. In the main that atmosphere is fed by fear of failure and disappointment.

I'm afraid after recent results it will only be worse than normal this Saturday, not better.

HFC 0-7
22-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Yup! That big red button that says 'do not touch' has been whacked! This is the real test now, and as I have said in previous threads, this is where Yogi is inexperienced. He has been in pressure situations with falkirk fighting for relegation, but never up top keeping pace with the old firm. Motivating players to fight the drop is a different story to motivating players to stay 3rd, and many of the players wont have been in this position themselves. Big test for the players coming up, even bigger test for Yogi. The good thing is that the sendings off are probably a sign that the players know they are playing bad and want to play better!

HFC 0-7
22-02-2010, 08:10 AM

You mention that we have 8 players that are either mince or not trying, plus a position that has not been filled in right back, and yet you praise the manager and say that he is doing a great job? Well I think your logic is flawed if the this manager has signed 7 or 8 players and still has a team with 8 duffers or non triers in the side!

HFC 0-7
22-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Yogi recently set the TARGET for the season to be 3rd place and he was quite right to do so, his new look side having shown the consistency of results to be still in touch with Celtic at the time.
Does that mean we should EXPECT to be there though? Of course not - finishing 3rd will require a scrap all the way to the line with all the other teams and Dundee Utd in particular aiming to make it as diffficult as possible for us.
What we can do is HOPE and give the team every bit of backing and encouragement we can from the stands every game. I think the OP is right that the last few results are a reality check - but not just for the players - for the fans as well.

We shouldnt 'expect' to be in 3rd, but we should expect decent performances, or at least 1 in the last 4 games. Did you 'EXPECT' to get beat 5 - 1 from St johnstone? , 1- 0 from motherwell, 3-0 from rangers all of which were pretty bad performances. My argument is that all teams go off the boil, but recent performances it looks like we have frozen. people mention the fans have panicked, I think its the players and mostly Yogi that has panicked. The players look lost at times and the team selections and tactics look desperate at times. In saying that, Yogi seems like a manager that learns fast and he may be able to pull us back up.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2010, 08:58 AM
you mention that we have 8 players that are either mince or not trying, plus a position that has not been filled in right back, and yet you praise the manager and say that he is doing a great job? Well i think your logic is flawed if the this manager has signed 7 or 8 players and still has a team with 8 duffers or non triers in the side!

whoosh

HFC 0-7
22-02-2010, 09:03 AM
whoosh

You talk about them in your reply to Neil F

Caversham Green
22-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Complacency is not the issue amongst the support. In the main that atmosphere is fed by fear of failure and disappointment.

I'm afraid after recent results it will only be worse than normal this Saturday, not better.

Basehibby has a point though. The only thing fans can do to help the performance of their team is shout, chant and sing encouragement. Whatever the reasons behind the silence, the Hibs fans as a unit are not performing any better than the team.

Get behind the players instead of on top of them :greengrin.

MacBean
22-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Before we beat Celtic at Parkhead, on paper should we have beat them.

Yes St. Johnstone beat us 5-1 last week, and even 2-1 in the cup, but right before the cup game, we beat them 3-0.
And there is a reason why we are 3rd and they are in the bottom 6.

ahem 3-1

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2010, 10:30 AM
You talk about them in your reply to Neil F

Double whoosh:faf::faf::faf: