PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many Hibees negative minded?

CmoantheHibs
20-02-2010, 05:04 PM
By coming on board this site(and the bounce)it has struck me how negative so many Hibees are.Im totally surprised at it to be honest.At the moment this season must be above the pre season expectations of most Hibees and if its not you are excluded as you are obviously a positive person anyway.Why this negativity?Is it because people are pissed off with their domestic circumstances, adddicted to moaning or what?Im not having a go at anyone or the reasons behind it, just trying to get some answers and devellop a bit of positivity for the Hibs.I realise everyone wants Hibs to do well and are disappointed when things arent going great but the reactions are a little too polar by many people.Surely our job as supporters is to support our club especially when things arent going well.If things arent going great then that is the time we prove our worth and rally behind the team.If you feel down and your mates show their support then it picks you up.Players arent any different.Its down to confidence.We know we have better players than most teams and if they feel good then they will play better than most teams also.Its up to Yogi to instill the passion(which everyone in the country knows he has)to play for Hibs.It may not work all the time but despite all the doom and gloom we are still 3rd and in the cup.

Spike Mandela
20-02-2010, 05:12 PM
By coming on board this site(and the bounce)it has struck me how negative so many Hibees are.Im totally surprised at it to be honest.At the moment this season must be above the pre season expectations of most Hibees and if its not you are excluded as you are obviously a positive person anyway.Why this negativity?Is it because people are pissed off with their domestic circumstances, adddicted to moaning or what?Im not having a go at anyone or the reasons behind it, just trying to get some answers and devellop a bit of positivity for the Hibs.I realise everyone wants Hibs to do well and are disappointed when things arent going great but the reactions are a little too polar by many people.Surely our job as supporters is to support our club especially when things arent going well.If things arent going great then that is the time we prove our worth and rally behind the team.If you feel down and your mates show their support then it picks you up.Players arent any different.Its down to confidence.We know we have better players than most teams and if they feel good then they will play better than most teams also.Its up to Yogi to instill the passion(which everyone in the country knows he has)to play for Hibs.It may not work all the time but despite all the doom and gloom we are still 3rd and in the cup.

Hate to be negative but please use some paragraphs!!:greengrin

Mikey
20-02-2010, 07:35 PM
From what I can see, those who were at the game reckon we played a lot better and those who weren't reckon we were absolutely rubbish.

That tells it's own story.

Removed
20-02-2010, 07:42 PM
From what I can see, those who were at the game reckon we played a lot better and those who weren't reckon we were absolutely rubbish.

I don't think we deserved to lose today. We deserved everything we got on Wednesday, so on that basis alone we must have played better.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 07:45 PM

:agree: i get the impression the type of season we are having is not good enough for some. Yes we'd love to win every game, but thats just daft, and 3rd place chasing a european place is not enough for some. They want a manager who wins every game, a manager who picks the side they want. A team who play with style and passion, win ever game by 3 clear goals, and all that while sitting on their hands eating their prawn sandwiches.

BEEJ
20-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't be the first time that a Hibs side has worked its way into a good league position by the turn of the year, only to see it unravel in the run-in.

I think the negative reaction over the last few days stems from that feeling of 'here we go again' and 'seen it all before'.

brydekirk
20-02-2010, 08:03 PM
:agree: i stand in the east at times and can feel the nervous tension all around. im sure this cant help the team much if they can sense it. no wonder the opposition chant (you only sing when ur winning ). c mon guys get behind the team. :thumbsup:

IndieHibby
20-02-2010, 08:09 PM
because the postive ones can't be arsed to respond to such petty drivel.

Mon the positive posts!

"GGTTH"
"Hibs are 10x better than last year"

etc.

Rattler
20-02-2010, 08:16 PM
because the postive ones can't be arsed to respond to such petty drivel.

Mon the positive posts!

"GGTTH"
"Hibs are 10x better than last year"

etc.

Would have to second that thought! Just cast your mind back a year to the type of season we were havinbg, how the team was playing and the quality of players we had. This year is miles better!:agree:

vein
20-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Simple answer, because there are too many undercover yams posting.

BEEJ
20-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Simple answer, because there are too many undercover yams posting.
Name them. Spill the beans! :greengrin

vein
20-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Name them. Spill the beans! :greengrin

Bingo70, Wazoo1875 and Barney McGrew :agree:

(only joking lads :greengrin)

jdships
20-02-2010, 08:33 PM

To answer your question .
It's "the nature of the beast" I am afraid.
I have supported this club for nearly 70 years and if I had a fiver for every time we have been in the situation we are in this week ,I would be rich !!.
We never have had the financial clout to match the OF and never will so let's go on"enjoying" the roller coaster ride there has been since the 1950's .
Nothing wrong in hoping for better things , nothing wrong in a bit of criticsm of the players/manager but just ask yourself would you rather be involved with the bigot brothers who can "buy" success ?.
I know what I will be continuing to do for the remaining years of my life !!!

:flag:

FranckSuzy
20-02-2010, 09:13 PM
To answer your question .
It's "the nature of the beast" I am afraid.
I have supported this club for nearly 70 years and if I had a fiver for every time we have been in the situation we are in this week ,I would be rich !!.
We never have had the financial clout to match the OF and never will so let's go on"enjoying" the roller coaster ride there has been since the 1950's .
Nothing wrong in hoping for better things , nothing wrong in a bit of criticsm of the players/manager but just ask yourself would you rather be involved with the bigot brothers who can "buy" success ?.
I know what I will be continuing to do for the remaining years of my life !!!

:flag:

Far too sensible post :greengrin :top marks It's the Hibs way. Always has been and always will be. :thumbsup:

CmoantheHibs
21-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Hate to be negative but please use some paragraphs!!:greengrin

:faf:

My space bar and enter keys are broken.

The enter key only works when sending posts.

Honest:rolleyes:

TheMentalHibees
21-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Some folk need to take a breather. They sound like ****ing Yams. We've been due a rough patch for a while, and to be honest, now is not a bad time to have it. Sure these last few results have been hard to take, but if you've been a Hibee long enough, these feelings should be nothing new. We're not Celtic or Rangers, we can't keep up the consistency that's required to break the top 2. What we are capable of is pushing them as far as they will go, and maybe sneaking inbetween the two of them with a bit of luck. Right now is what being a supporter is all about; rallying round when the team is playing guff and helping to get us back to winning ways. We're still sitting cushy in 3rd with another home tie in the scottish cup quarter final to look forward to. Remember, this wouldn't be Hibs if we did it the easy way. If you're ready to give up the ghost already, then you're at the wrong party.

SaudiHibby
21-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Ask me 30 minutes after losing a game and I am one pissed of geezer who is horrible to everyone (family included) :boo hoo:.

Ask me 24 hours later and I am back to being a sensible hibby with 44 years of experiencing dissapointment and turning it into positives :thumbsup:

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 08:13 AM
People are positive when things are going well and negative when things are not, what is the big deal, the manager and the players are percieved as gods when we are on a good run and are deemed useless during a bad run.
There`s enough good players to make up a strong 11 but when injuries and suspensions kick in we`re not that much better than our opponents, that has been my experience since the days of Eddie Turnbull and it would be difficult to finance and keep a strong bench happy but sometimes i think there`s too much chopping and changing which in turn effects continuity and ulitmately the mindset of the squad collectively.
There is another factor folk come on quoting stats, we are one of the best defensive teams in Britain, what a load of nonsense, how many games have you seen at ER where we ride our luck at the back and honestly how many times have we played well away?
On the positive side we have a manager who has a good footballing philosophy, is building an attractive side and has plenty of individuals that can win games virtually on their own and hopefully will be supplemented next season by players of similar ability.
Negativity goes hand in hand with positivity when it comes to analysis, it is just as bad to talk about winning leagues and cups as it is to suggest that we`re hopeless, the same balance that Yogi seeks needs to be found by this seasons critics and yes that includes me!:greengrin

BEEJ
21-02-2010, 09:31 AM
On the positive side we have a manager who has a good footballing philosophy, is building an attractive side and has plenty of individuals that can win games virtually on their own and hopefully will be supplemented next season by players of similar ability.

Negativity goes hand in hand with positivity when it comes to analysis, it is just as bad to talk about winning leagues and cups as it is to suggest that we`re hopeless, the same balance that Yogi seeks needs to be found by this seasons critics and yes that includes me!:greengrin
:top marks

hibiedude
21-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't be the first time that a Hibs side has worked its way into a good league position by the turn of the year, only to see it unravel in the run-in.

I think the negative reaction over the last few days stems from that feeling of 'here we go again' and 'seen it all before'.

Good reply BEEJ :top marks

Last 3 games -no Points

9 goals conceded and 1 goal scored

I find it hard to see the positives right now

someone on another thread suggesting because Dundee Utd lost yesterday the Motherwell result wasn’t a bad result for us. :confused:

Ell_Chrisso
21-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Absaaa*****inloootly Bob. :top marks

Franck is God
21-02-2010, 01:32 PM
when I win the Euro millions, buy the club and install myself as manager I'll give you something to be negative about....

Then everyone will be happy!

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2010, 01:50 PM
There seems to be people putting more energy into criticising the team, than there are of fans getting behind the team on a Saturday.:boo hoo:

basehibby
21-02-2010, 10:18 PM

:top marksGreat thread from the debutant (must keep working on those paragraphs though :greengrin). The negativity in the Hibs support is something I've often scratched my head about - not so much on here where some posters seem to see it as a way of venting their spleen as oposed to slitting their wrists or jumping off a tall building after a bad result - but more on the actual terraces.

Fans forums are all about expressing opinions and everyone has their own angle - some folk are more analytical about what they post while for others it can be more of an emotional splurge either up in the clouds after a heady victory or down in the doldrums after a dismal defeat.

In the stands though we all have a common purpose - to SUPPORT our team and this is where I'm sometimes left perplexed. Sometimes by folk that look at you like you're weird for trying to help a song along, and just as often and even more disturbingly, by folk who seem to go along to games with the sole purpose of mercilessly slating whoever their favourite hate figure in our line up happens to be.

So I applaud you for your efforts here - if you ask me many Hibbies have a "glass half empty" outlook - probably due in part to many years of dissapointments endured resulting in a self-protecting fatalism. I don't think it's healthy though - fans with a positive outlook are more likely to get behind their team vocally IMO - and that's what the team needs on a saturday - a twelth man in the stand pushing them on - not a bunch of nagging old wimmin telling them they're sheight :bitchy:

rightwinger
22-02-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a lot to do with what fans are used to.

To be cold about it, what have Hibs actually done in the last 30 years?

Tangibly - ie trophies (or in recent years 2nd/3rd place finishes and European runs) - not much. Derby record not great either.

Of course, we do just enough (ie win the League Cup every 15-20 years, finish 3rd every 5-7 years, get sporadic/patchy good results against OF or Hearts) just to keep us hanging on. Just enough to keep the optimists optimistic.

The pessimists will tell you, however, that we only ever get so far. This can be highlighted nearly every season when we finish weakly.

The negative overreaction is the pessimists venting their frustration at allowing their hopes to be raised and dashed once again!

Us pessimists want to believe we'll do something but we never quite can!

Maybe one day when Hibs actually achieve something big - like winning the SC or going on a meaningful European run, or a string of third-place finishes, then we'll stop looking to be let down.

rainman
22-02-2010, 01:14 AM
It's an age thing.

It's about people's ar5es twitching about seeing Hibs do something of note in their life time.

You'll notice that the overly positive posts, excited and expectant posts come from the younger guys. Never been burned and think a cup win comes around every couple of years.

The older guys like jdships have seen it all before, no expectation and are happy to enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is supporting Hibs.

It's the guys in the late 40's and 50's. Been let down so many times. Beginning to wonder if they'll ever see a Scottish Cup win in their life time. When we're pish, they are desperate for us to get better quickly. When we are decent, they see it as an opportunity. So when a team assembled and performing like this team are, look like they are going to blow it again, they get frustrated and moan.

Of course, they'll never admit to what is basically "mid-life crisis behaviour". :wink:

7Hero
22-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Im not in my 40's and 50's but withoiut a doubt i am used to the dissapointment of following hibs.

also i am indeed a half empty football fun, you may indeed call me negative. I like to think of it as being realistic.

I don't come on the board and be overly negative / knock the team. But i do know the limits of what we can achieve. Im also very un negative at the games too, don't see the need of abusing the team (although blobby mixu / miller / scott's teams did take some amount of stick and deservedly so).

This team and manager i see as very positive for hibs. I ok there some rough edges (Bamba :blah:)but in the whole its definitely positive. Most folk who are negative are probably peed off we haven't dominated and won the league or 2nd place (Get reall FFS!)we will never equal celtic or rangers, people have to understand there crap on 10 + k per week wages will always be more consistent than our players. Even if they were horrificly bad the referees and establishment in the game would see fit to make sure the big 2 dominate anyway.

Ok we lost 3 in a row, but how many have we lost over the season well go on a wee run again.

So in answer to your question its not an age thing, i think the majority that are negative don't understand what there expectations of hibs should be, they have got caught up in hoopla of the team playing well and got ahead of themselves. Either that or they are just miserable *******s who would moan if we didn't win the scottish cup "in style" (plenty in the famous five by the way). I can feel there dissapointment believe me, just seem to have a different way of expressing it.

anyway dunno what direction the post is going now..

GBTH (who are PISH) ...:greengrin

tony
22-02-2010, 06:46 AM
45 years old so the rollercoaster long ago stopped giving me butterflies :greengrin

I'm happy to take the ups and downs, as long as we continue to try to play something approaching real football - try to pass the ball from one person to the other along the ground and other controversial strategies for Scotland. The reality is that with the players we have it will always be a hit and miss affair, and we'll always be a bit more Burnley or Wigan than Arsenal - though our goalies always seem to have a gunners look about them.

One thing more about our form at the moment. Any team trying to play football on the things that pass for pitches at the moment are always going to be at a disadvantage. Watched the Spanish games last night on pitches like bowling greens. Which is easier than playing on allotments.

So, glass half full, lets see what happens as I think we'll get better as the season goes on.