PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Every cloud has a silver lining, maybe

GloryGlory
20-02-2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article7034185.ece

Noted Uncle Watty's view that "Scottish (sic) football" will suffer with the loss of a CL place and had to have a wee giggle to myself. Since when did either of the Gruesome Twosome give a stuff about Scottish football?

However, thinking further ahead, if the OF have to downsize in the next few years, could this turn out to be a "good thing" for the rest of the SPL? It would surely lead to not a completely level playing field, but a bit less of an unlevel playing field, with opportunities for us, Aberdeen, Hearts etc to make the league more competitive

Also, if we keep producing good talented players from our Academy, the OF will not be as able to asset-strip us as in the past.

Discuss.

Dr What If?
20-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Devils advocate time....the OF would say that by buying players from other SPL sides for good money, the rest of us has been able to keep our debts down and even been able to use the money to build bigger squads, training centres, etc.
Whats more, strong OF sides guarantee larger traveling supports meaning that at least for a few games a season we are able to fill our stadiums. Euro success for the OF has also raised the reputation of Scottish internationally, thus benefiting the game as a whole.:devil:

You could also argue that the strangle hold these two ******ing sores have had has crippled our game, stiffled growth and competition and lead to a steady and posible fatal decline....but where's the fun in that:wink:

GloryGlory
20-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Devils advocate time....the OF would say that by buying players from other SPL sides for good money, the rest of us has been able to keep our debts down and even been able to use the money to build bigger squads, training centres, etc.
Whats more, strong OF sides guarantee larger traveling supports meaning that at least for a few games a season we are able to fill our stadiums. Euro success for the OF has also raised the reputation of Scottish internationally, thus benefiting the game as a whole.:devil:

You could also argue that the strangle hold these two ******ing sores have had has crippled our game, stiffled growth and competition and lead to a steady and posible fatal decline....but where's the fun in that:wink:

That would be my argument, which is why the disappearance of the "easy" CL money every year for one of them presents opportunities for the rest of he SPL. I hope they cut each other's throats year on year by investing money they don't have to win the one CL place, that will financially harm them even more.

GloryGlory
20-02-2010, 01:29 PM

I'd also argue that we have alternative markets - e.g. EPL lower teams/Championship - where Hibs have already proved that we can sell players [B]at the appropriate time fo both us and the player[B] to maximise our return without strengthening our direct competitors.

son of haggart
20-02-2010, 01:47 PM

I don't agree with the first paragraph analysis.

1. Had the OF not bought these players they would have udnoubtedly have gone elsewhere. We are probabky talking about slightly smaller fees in some cases, but a more competitive league if we don't lose our players to strengthen them

2. We don't have much space for the OF fans and they oten sell out. If they are out of Europe and its a more competitive league the games between the second tier teams and them will become more meaningful and attract more spectators, arguably

The only worry I would have would be that TV revenue will shrink still further as will the payout for places

But on the plus side when we (hearts) have been in competition for the laugue or champs league place it has drawn in extra crowds and revenue. That opportunity would be more likely, more frequently. Also if one of the non-OF teams does split them, that teams players become marketable at higher rates

For me the worse they are, the better for the rest of us. Out of existence would be the optimum

CmoantheHibs
20-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Indirectly it may have an effect on teams outwith the OF due to the fact the OF have less money.On the upside it means the OF will have to cut their cloth accordingly also.Whether this means that they scour other markets time will tell.If they cannot buy players purely for the fact of weakening the opposition then this is a benefit to the other teams in the SPL.Some clubs will suffer because of the loss of this income(we although being a selling club are run on a sound business sense so it shouldnt affect us too much and may benefit us by allowing us to keep the nucleus of our squad together).There are also other markets that will buy players from our league,namely the championship, which due to their own financial restraints may look even more to our league as the wages are not a major issue in negotiations.Personally although it will be a blow to the image europewide of Scottish football on a domestic level I think it offers other teams a major chance to close the gap and make it a more competitive and interesting league.It may also allow more young Scottish players to play on a regular basis therefore benefiting the national team.Heres hoping that in the not too distant future everyone will be deafened by the crumbling of the Bigot empire and the roar of the national teams success.

Sometimes I just get a wee bit too excited and carried away with my own ramblings:wink: