PDA

View Full Version : Alan Gordon. RIP 1944 -2010

big-mo
19-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Alan Gordon died today. He had been battling with cancer for some time.
Alan was 65 year old. He played 84 games for Hibs from 1972 to 74.

He started his senior career with Hearts before moving for a short spell to Durban, He then rejoined Hearts before playing for Dundee Utd. Following his time at Hibs he moved on to Dundee. Alan was also a qualified accountant.

Although playing 126 times for Hearts he will be best remembered for scoring twice for Hibs on the 1st of Jan 1973, you may recall that game ended 0-7.

O'Rourke3
19-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Sad news indeed. Condolances to the family.

hibs7062footbal
19-02-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks for the memories big man R.I.P.

Biggie
19-02-2010, 07:56 PM
that's awful news, i grew up admiring alan gordons skills esp his heading ability....he scored some great goals for hibs.....him and jim o'rourke were a great front two....rip alan

I'm_cabbaged
RIP

Condolances to family and freinds.

"The problem with you Gordon is your brains are in your ***** heid"

meeks0-7
thanks for the memories big man R.I.P.

One of the greats.... a true gentleman. RIP

Winston Ingram
19-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Terrible news

Hamish
19-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Alan was one of my heroes growing up. Meeks is correct, he was a gentleman. Sad, sad news.

A very clever man. Not seen many that could time his jump and head a ball the way Alan did.

A bad day has become much worse with that news.

GloryGlory
19-02-2010, 08:00 PM
RIP Alan. My condolences to his family.

I will remember his terrific heading ability, and his wonderful partnership with Jim O'Rourke. A true Hibs legend!

erskine-hibby
19-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Devastated.

RIP Alan.

Carheenlea
19-02-2010, 08:05 PM
YouTube - HEARTS 0 HIBERNIAN 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM&feature=related)

Aubenas
19-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Gutted. A huge talent and a nice guy. Privileged to have watched his whole Hibs career. God Bless and condolences to family and friends.

BroxburnHibee
19-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Sad news indeed. :boo hoo:

Rip Alan.

Condolences to his family.

Riordans Boots
19-02-2010, 08:12 PM
So sorry to hear this and heartfelt condolences to all the family.

SkyeHibs
19-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Very sad news that Alan has been taken so young.

He will long be remembered as an integral member of Turnbull's Tornadoes and the scorer of two great goals in the 7-0 thrashing of hearts, arguably our most memorable victory ever.

Barney McGrew
19-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Terrible news, and not old by any means :boo hoo:

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

A man who played his part in the greatest game there will ever be. RIP Alan.

erskine-hibby
19-02-2010, 08:13 PM
YouTube - HEARTS 0 HIBERNIAN 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM&feature=related)

Fan bloody tastic, never tire of watching that:agree:

The Harp
19-02-2010, 08:14 PM
So very, very sad to hear this news. Alan was one of the most graceful players ever to wear the green jersey.
It was an honour and a privilege to watch him exhibiting his skills at easter Road. God bless him.
Sincere codolences to Alan's family and friends.

RIP

BarneyK
19-02-2010, 08:14 PM
R.I.P. Hibs legend.

eezyrider
19-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Very sad new indeed. When I was a kid playing football we pretended my mate was Jimmy O'Rourke and I was Alan Gordon.

RIP mate. Thanks for the memories.

EZ

Green forever
19-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I also grew up with Alan Gordon being our centre forward, remember him scoring a hat trick against Dundee in a 3-3 draw in the Scottish Cup at ER, don't think we won it that year :grr:

Did he score the "goal" against Leeds in the UEFA at ER that was wrongly chopped off for offside ?

Very clever man, think he was an accountant or something similar when his football career ended.

So sad.

Davy Mac
19-02-2010, 08:20 PM
One of Hibs true greats IMO.

RIP Alan.

archiebald
19-02-2010, 08:23 PM
So sad RIP big man.

Bostonhibby
19-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Wasn't expecting that, real shock to the system, absolute gentleman and a model centre forward in our team of that era, used to encounter him occasionally in the old Mathers bar in Broughton Street when he was involved with Radio Forth, autographed my 0 - 7 programme - legend by any standards. Stunned.

Hope we pay a decent tribute at the first opportunity.

jabis
19-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Very sad news,thoughts to the family and friends.

jim

Alfred E Newman
19-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I first saw Alan Gordon play as a teenager for Hearts in a Scottish Cup tie at Innerleithen where he scored a hat trick in a 5-0 win over Vale of Leithen. Eddie Turnbull signed him from Dundee Unt when Alan was in his late twenties and a few of us questioned his judgement but how wrong we were. He was one of the best headers of a football I have seen in a Hibs jersey and he was a key player in the best Hibs side I have had the privilege of watching. Though he only spent a couple of seasons at Easter Road he will always thought of as a Hibs legend . Thanks for the memories Alan.

IWasThere2016
19-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Sad sad news.

A great player and by all accounts a true gent.

RIP Alan, and thanks for the memories.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2010, 08:39 PM
R.I.P Alan Gordon

aljo7-0
19-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Very sad news. He was my hero as a kid and scored the first Hibs goal I witnessed in person.

Had the pleasure to meet him at a friend's Wedding where he held court to the Hibees in attendance and told the storey of that famous 7 - 0 day. His punchline being that he and Jimmy O'Rourke agreed at half time that opnly goals going in off the woodwork wopuld count in the second half as otherwise it was too easy. Meeting my hero and getting to chat away to him about football made my day but the sick look on my Jambo brother in law's face absolutely made my year.

RIP Alan

jdships
19-02-2010, 08:46 PM
R.I.P Alan Gordon

Amen to that !

PatHead
19-02-2010, 08:52 PM
A sad loss of a legendary member of the Hibs family. One of my first heroes. RIP

Hiber-nation
19-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Terrible news, a true Hibs legend, one of my all-time heroes and an absolute gentleman. Alan had a big part to play in some of my best times of supporting Hibs.

The fans were very sceptical about his signing but after a couple of games we all realised that this was a very special player.

RIP

Speedway
19-02-2010, 08:55 PM
A true Hibernian Great.

His legacy lives on.

RIP Alan.

PC Stamp
19-02-2010, 08:55 PM
So few games yet so many goals! RIP Alan. One of the best strikers ever to wear the green and white.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Sad news. RIP.

noseyhibby
19-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I also grew up with Alan Gordon being our centre forward, remember him scoring a hat trick against Dundee in a 3-3 draw in the Scottish Cup at ER, don't think we won it that year :grr:

Did he score the "goal" against Leeds in the UEFA at ER that was wrongly chopped off for offside ?

Very clever man, think he was an accountant or something similar when his football career ended.

So sad.

I'm gutted. I remember Alan Gordon as if it were yesterday. A true gentleman. The game you refer to, I too was also there. we were 0-3 down I recall, and Turnbulls Tornadoes blitzed Dundee in the second half to pull it level. I also attended the replay in Dundee and recall a certain Jocky Scott hitting the net for Dundee and our beloved Hibees losing 3-0. I recall, also, Alan scoring against a hapless Morton at ER one snowy winters day, from a seemingly impossible angle, and enjoying a 5-0 romp in blizzard conditions. Memories like these never die. Thank you Alan. Rest in peace.

hibee_nation
19-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the memories Alan you gave me some of the best. RIP.

hibsfan7
19-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I remember saturday afternoon could not come quick enough for the home games at er
brilliant player in a brilliant team

very very sad day for all us hibees

rest in peace alan

TornadoHibby
19-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Sad news indeed as a well known and respected member of the Hibernian family passes on!

Although a very quiet spoken and generally polite man, Alan didn't suffer fools gladly and, I understand :wink:, wasn't too fond of a certain plumpish Aberdonian who was brought into the club, a move which signalled the break up of that legendary Hibs team which Alan was a big part of! :wink:

RIP big man!

mim
19-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Sad news.

R.I.P. Alan.

Erich Schaedler will have someone to talk with about the Tornadoes now.

CapitalHibs
19-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Horrible news. Makes you aware how fragile life is - especially when you are getting up there in the age stakes yourself.

Remember Alan playing for Hearts and oh how I secretly admired his skills and
fantastic heading technique but never let on to my jambo mates. How I wished at the time that he played for us.

And then he did! Alan had a certain elegance about the way he moved on the park and although no one could forget his heading ability after watching him, he was also just as effective with the ball at his feet.

I remember one game against Besa at ER. Alan on the ball and "ghosting" inside and hitting an absolute thunderbolt off the underside of the bar which sodjer ended up heading into the net.

A thousand thanks for the memories, big yin. You are a true Hibee legend -RIP

ALF TUPPER
19-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I remember watching Alan Gordon when i was a lad too.
Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan were my famous five when i was growing up.

You always knew that when the ball was crossed into the box Alan Gordon would be on the end of it.

Very sad news.

My condolences to all the Gordon Family.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Shattered by this news, I used to see him quite a lot in Gt Junction street where he worked in Pirrie Street, a very nice person he was and autographed a photo I had of him.

Probably one of my favourite players in the Turnbull Tornado years, quite slight in stature but could get himself stuck in, the golden head we used to call him.

RIP Gordon a true Hibs legend

:applause:

ruthven_raiders
19-02-2010, 09:13 PM
my most memorable times ever being a hibs supporter were those years of 72-74, to watch the best hibs team since the famouse five, jimmy o'rourke, alan gordon, arthur duncan et al...........................rest in peace Alan........................will always remember sitting with my late dad............3-0 after 30 mins against hearts playing down the slope...................a crowd of 35000..................those were the days......................

TomTheHibbyBev
19-02-2010, 09:19 PM
A true Hibs legend! RIP Alan My condolences to his family.

davym7062
19-02-2010, 09:21 PM
gutted to hear. a truely fantastic player.

r.i.p alan

Hanny
19-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Proper legend :agree:

Too young to see him in the flesh but that back post header on 01/01/73 is the finest I've ever seen.

RIP

12AlbionPlace
19-02-2010, 09:34 PM
RIP Alan

Just missed seeing him in the flesh but watching the videos and listening to people who saw him convinced me he was a great.

"Gordon.......Number 7"

Greenland
19-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Really sorry to hear the news.

I had the pleasure of his company at a match at ER a couple of seasons ago. At half time we got on to the subject of that derby match back in 1973. I asked Alan how he felt at the end after winning 7-0. He said that he was actually pretty disappointed, as he had only scored twice. :greengrin

As many have said above, a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.

Alan Gordon- RIP.

JimBHibees
19-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Very sad news. A fantastic footballer in a fantastic team.

RIP Alan.

Penrith Hibee
19-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm gutted. I remember Alan Gordon as if it were yesterday. A true gentleman. The game you refer to, I too was also there. we were 0-3 down I recall, and Turnbulls Tornadoes blitzed Dundee in the second half to pull it level. I also attended the replay in Dundee and recall a certain Jocky Scott hitting the net for Dundee and our beloved Hibees losing 3-0. I recall, also, Alan scoring against a hapless Morton at ER one snowy winters day, from a seemingly impossible angle, and enjoying a 5-0 romp in blizzard conditions. Memories like these never die. Thank you Alan. Rest in peace.

Remember all of those games although missed the goals at Dens due to huge crowd. Was told off by Alan (in a Kimono) at about 2am one morning when me and a few drunken mates (one a future Hearts legend) were kicking a ball about near his house. Cops arrived and didn't believe the future hearts legend was really who he said he was. Even telling us off, Alan was a gent.

McIntosh
19-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Shocked - I had to read this headline twice - read every post.

True Hibs legend, I had the good fortune to meet him on several occasions and he was a real gentleman - kind and gracious. A very cultured player one of my all time favourite Hibs forwards and players. In retrospect it was amazing that despite a Scotland team rich with talent that he was never capped for Scotland.

Alan Gordon was a class act both on and of the park, that he has been taken from us so soon leaves us all reduced. That he is lost to his family is a real tradgedy. In the sadness, I hope I can for once speak for many of this forum and say how grateful and enriched that we all have been by Alan Gordon wonderful contribution to our great club.

Thank you Alan.

vahibbie
19-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Bad news indeed.

Alan, thanks for the memories, and there are quite a few.
RIP.

His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team
The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen............

FranckSuzy
19-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Sad news.

R.I.P. Alan.

Erich Schaedler will have someone to talk with about the Tornadoes now.

:agree: :not worth RIP Alan.

alhibby
19-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Big Big hero of mine, gutted at the news, what a player, what a goal scorer.
condolences to the family

R.I.P Alan, god bless, never forgotten

Nakedmanoncrack
19-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Alan Gordon died today. He had been battling with cancer for some time.
Alan was 65 year old. He played 84 games for Hibs from 1972 to 74.

He started his senior career with Hearts before moving for a short spell to Durban, He then rejoined Hearts before playing for Dundee Utd. Following his time at Hibs he moved on to Dundee. Alan was also a qualified accountant.

Although playing 126 times for Hearts he will be best remembered for scoring twice for Hibs on the 1st of Jan 1973, you may recall that game ended 0-7.

He was from just before my time, but that he became a legend in such a short spell is quite remarkable and says it all about the impact he made at the club.

Bobo
19-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Such sad news, he was a terrific centre forward and favourite of mine when I was a kid.

RIP Alan.

thebakerboy
19-02-2010, 09:47 PM
1st time I saw Alan play was in a Pupils v Masters match at school and Bert Mcann(Motherwell player at the time and PE teacher) was playing for the Teachers. Alan had just signed for Hearts and as a big football fan at a rugby playing school this was amazing but why did it have to be them? Then he signed for us and I was in heaven a former pupil playing for my beloved HIBEES and then he was brilliant what can I say. This is a sad day for his family and all football lovers because he was a real player and a gentelman.

keithsansiro
19-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Sad news indeed that another member of Turnbulls Tornado's has been taken from us.

As well as scoring two goals in THAT game he of course was responsible for one of the best ever quotes in football when the legendary Mr Turnbull chastised him for interrupting a team talk with " the problem wi you son is that yer brains are all in yer heid" classic stuff and still raises a smile.

R.I.P. Alan

Condolences to friends and family.

down the slope
19-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I to was behind the goal at Tynecatle for the header in the second half and it will live with me forever, shocked to hear the news of his death of a Hibernian great.
He was so well thought of and maybe someone will correct me on this but when the great Uwe Seeler retired he requested the best in europe to play against his team and Allan was one of the chosen as he was the top scorer in Scotland at the time.

surreyhibbie
19-02-2010, 09:59 PM
One of my heroes as a kid, and the scorer of the first goal in my first away game at Partick.

Allan was so good that when we had a sweep on the Musselburgh Supporters' bus no-one would buy a ticket if he and Jimmy O'Rourke had already been drawn. We had to change the system so you didn't know who you had until they were all sold.

Met the great man years later at half time under the main stand, had a quick, nervous, chat with him and he responded like we were lifelong friends. A true gentleman.

Very very sad day.

CraigHibee
19-02-2010, 10:02 PM
r.i.p chief

Silversand
Sad news.

RIP Alan.

Plantman
RIP Alan

A true gentleman who showed great dignity with both sides in Edinburgh.

Frazerbob
19-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Very sad news. Alan was a great friend of my old man's and used to have lunch in his pub every day. I knew him from a wee boy and remember when I first realised who he was and that he scored the "seventh". It was very strange finding out that a guy I knew whilst growing up was actually a Hibs hero without realising it.

A very inteligent, articulate and generous man.

RIP Alan

Bostonhibby
19-02-2010, 10:05 PM
RIP Alan

A true gentleman who showed great dignity with both sides in Edinburgh.

:agree: would like to think both could mark his passing with equal style as well.

DC_Hibs
19-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Surprised reading this how short his time at Hibs actually was considering the esteem in which he is held among the Hibs fans. It just goes to show the contribution he made in that time...... and 0-7 obviously helps!!

His name will live on for many years in that famous song

RIP.

Pete
19-02-2010, 10:09 PM
RIP Hibs legend.

Too young.

Jim44
19-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Very sad news. - great player.

banchoryhibs
19-02-2010, 10:19 PM
A wonderful player, one of the best to grace the turf at Easter Road. RIP

mim
19-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I to was behind the goal at Tynecatle for the header in the second half and it will live with me forever, shocked to hear the news of his death of a Hibernian great.
He was so well thought of and maybe someone will correct me on this but when the great Uwe Seeler retired he requested the best in europe to play against his team and Allan was one of the chosen as he was the top scorer in Scotland at the time.

The memory is hazy, but I think it was a 'Rest of the World' X1 to honour Willi Schulz.

Leithenhibby
19-02-2010, 10:20 PM
This is a sad moment for me, as I was just talking to my-father-in-law the other day about AG.

I had the pleasure of watching this man header a boy harder than most could kick it as a young boy. Wonderful memories of Alan in a Hibernian jersey and for that I am very grateful.

Later in life I had the pleasure of sitting next to him at a dinner in the old 50 club...A gentleman of the highest order...:notworthy:

RIP, and condolences to his family and friends..

andudare2
19-02-2010, 10:23 PM
R.I.P to one of the best!!!!!!!!! :top marks

Toaods
19-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Having made my debut as a Hibs fan at ER, Alan Gordon became my favourite, as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, me and my mates used to play football and everyone always wanted to 'be' Alan Gordon first.

A terrific player for the club.

Used to wait at the back of the Stand at ER to get his autograph every week, but the autograph wasn't what I really wanted, I just wanted to say things like "Hiya Alan. you played well today." or "Hiya Alan. Your second goal was a great header". Just being marginally recognised with a smile and responsive "Thanks very much" was as good as it gets when your a lad.

In my early working life, I used to frequent the Shelbourne Lounge of a lunchtime and Alan would spend many a lunchtime there too.

Although I knew he was an accountant (beige raincoat anyone :greengrin ) I never approached him for a chat as he seemed to be at ease in his own company and the last thing he would be doing would be sitting talking about his own heroics.

perhaps 5 years ago I'd guess, I popped into the Hibs Club at Sunnyside during the close season, not a usual haunt for me but went to meet a friend who as fate would decree was late. The place was almost deserted and who would come in for a beer but the man himself. Right, I thought to myself, I'm going for it...moved over and started making a bit of convo and we sat for about 30 mins chatting about football, Hibs, Scotland, world cups the lot.

Not one to brag about himself, quite the opposite...a very modest man indeed and one that many of todays arrogant, self-centred sods would do well to learn from.

A sad loss to me personally and to many others of my era.

I hope the club ensure a minutes silence is held at ER next Saturday for some well deserved respect. For me, it would be fantastic if we were able to listen to some audio clips over the tannoy of commentary of some of those never to be forgotten moments.

:flag:

United we stand here, divided we fall
We play for each for other, when we're on the ball,
Our fans are the greatest
They cheer us each game
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name

Hibs, Hibs, Hibs for the cup
Our team's the greatest, they never give up
Hibs, Hibs, the boys in the green
The best brand of football the world's ever seen.

We're all for each other, each man plays for all,
We give our best football, to answer the call,
While we entertain you, to win is our aim,
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name.

iwasthere1972
19-02-2010, 10:29 PM
R.I.P. Alan.

You will always be remembered.

FranckSuzy
19-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I think a minutes applause would be more fitting to show our appreciation of a great man.

If Only
19-02-2010, 10:34 PM
So shocked when I read this and I have to admit I did a double take. He was a magnificent player for us, one of the best centre forwards ever to grace the green and white. God bless R.I.P.

Leithenhibby
19-02-2010, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Toaods;2360435]Having made my debut as a Hibs fan at ER, Alan Gordon became my favourite, as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, me and my mates used to play football and everyone always wanted to 'be' Alan Gordon first.

Used to wait at the back of the Stand at ER to get his autograph every week, but the autograph wasn't what I really wanted, I just wanted to say things like "Hiya Alan. you played well today." or "Hiya Alan. Your second goal was a great header". Just being marginally recognised with a smile and responsive "Thanks very much" was as good as it gets when your a lad.

In my early working life, I used to frequent the Shelbourne Lounge of a lunchtime and Alan would spend many a lunchtime there too.

Although I knew he was an accountant (beige raincoat anyone :greengrin ) I never approached him for a chat as he seemed to be at ease in his own company and the last thing he would be doing would be sitting talking about his own heroics.

perhaps 5 years ago I'd guess, I popped into the Hibs Club at Sunnyside during the close season, not a usual haunt for me but went to meet a friend who as fate would decree was late. The place was almost deserted and who would come in for a beer but the man himself. Right, I thought to myself, I'm going for it...moved over and started making a bit of convo and we sat for about 30 mins chatting about football, Hibs, Scotland, world cups the lot.

Not one to brag about himself, quite the opposite...a very modest man indeed and one that many of todays arrogant, self-centred sods would do well to learn from.

A sad loss to me personally and to many others of my era.

I hope the club ensure a minutes silence is held at ER next Saturday for some well deserved respect. For me, it would be fantastic if we were able to listen to some audio clips over the tannoy of commentary of some of those never to be forgotten moments.

Now that would be special, but I can't see that happening..can you?

stevenson
19-02-2010, 10:40 PM
A true legend for Hibs.

I remember very clearly the first goal he scored for Hibs in a cup game at Partick Thistle in early 1972. Erich also scored that day.

Eddie pushed him out to accommodate Harper when he still had a lot to offer. Played some of his last games for Hibs in midfield but still oozed class.

Toaods
19-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Now that would be special, but I can't see that happening..can you?

why not? someone just needs to go ahead and do it.

Stantons Angel
19-02-2010, 10:44 PM
So sad to hear of his passing, a true gentleman and a major part of a simply superb footballing side, who were a joy to watch.

Thanks for the memories Alan, hope you score many playing for God's chosen eleven.

RIP

Glory to the Hibees!:boo hoo:

Leithenhibby
19-02-2010, 10:44 PM
why not? someone just needs to go ahead and do it.

Your challenge Agent Toaods, should you accept it is to........:greengrin

PapillonVert
19-02-2010, 10:45 PM
RIP Alan. Condolences to all family and friends.

GGTTH

snooky
19-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I met Alan a couple of times. He was a class act on and off the park.
Sad sad news.

cad
19-02-2010, 10:47 PM
RIP Alan

My sincere condolences to family and friends

crewetollhibee
19-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Another part of my childhood gone. Thanks for the memories, Alan. R.I.P.

LHWM
19-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Met him a few times at the 'Willie Bauld Dinner' very nice Guy.

RIP Alan

Hibs goals below. Only lost twice when he scored.

1972-02-05 Sat Partick Thistle 0 Hibs 2 Scottish Cup A 21000 Alan Gordon;E Schaedler;
1972-02-19 Sat Falkirk 2 Hibs 3 Division 1 A 7407 Joe Baker;J Hamilton;Alan Gordon;
1972-02-26 Sat Hibs 2 Airdrieonians 0 Scottish Cup H 15980 Alan Gordon;Joe Baker;
1972-03-04 Sat Hibs 1 Clyde 0 Division 1 H 7191 Alan Gordon;
1972-04-08 Sat Hibs 7 St Johnstone 1 Division 1 H 6358 Pat Stanton;Joe Baker;Arthur Duncan;Jimmy O'Rourke;A Edwards;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;
1972-05-06 Sat Celtic 6 Hibs 1 Scottish Cup N 105909 Alan Gordon;
1972-08-05 Sat Celtic 3 Hibs 5 SDRY N 49462 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Billy McNeil og;Jimmy O'Rourke;Arthur Duncan;
1972-08-12 Sat Hibs 4 Queens Park 2 League Cup H 7972 Pat Stanton;J Hamilton;J Hamilton;Alan Gordon;
1972-08-26 Sat Queens Park 0 Hibs 1 League Cup A 1690 Alan Gordon;
1972-08-30 Wed Queen of the South 1 Hibs 3 League Cup A 3876 Alan Gordon;J Blackley;Arthur Duncan;
1972-09-16 Sat East Fife 0 Hibs 1 Division 1 A 5590 Alan Gordon;
1972-09-23 Sat Hibs 3 Dundee United 1 Division 1 H 10372 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Own Goal;
1972-09-27 Wed Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1 ECWC H 26041 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Own Goal;
1972-09-30 Sat Hibs 3 St Johnstone 2 Division 1 H 10376 Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;
1972-10-14 Sat Hibs 5 Airdrieonians 2 Division 1 H 9989 Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1972-10-21 Sat Partick Thistle 1 Hibs 3 Division 1 A 9197 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1972-10-28 Sat Dumbarton 2 Hibs 2 Division 1 A 8252 Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1972-11-08 Wed Besa 1 Hibs 1 ECWC A 20000 Alan Gordon;
1972-11-25 Sat Arbroath 2 Hibs 3 Division 1 A 4206 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1972-12-02 Sat Hibs 3 Falkirk 0 Division 1 H 10606 Pat Stanton;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1972-12-16 Sat Hibs 8 Ayr United 1 Division 1 H 12510 Pat Stanton;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;A Cropley;
1972-12-23 Sat Celtic 1 Hibs 1 Division 1 A 42343 Alan Gordon;
1972-12-30 Sat Hibs 3 Aberdeen 2 Division 1 H 22229 Pat Stanton;Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;
1973-01-01 Mon Heart of Midlothian 0 Hibs 7 Division 1 A 35989 Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;Alex Cropley;Arthur Duncan;Jimmy O'Rourke;Alan Gordon;
1973-01-06 Sat Hibs 1 East Fife 0 Division 1 H 17068 Alan Gordon;
1973-01-27 Sat Hibs 1 Dundee 1 Division 1 H 15896 Alan Gordon;
1973-02-10 Sat Airdrieonians 0 Hibs 4 Division 1 A 7382 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;
1973-02-21 Wed St Johnstone 1 Hibs 3 Division 1 A 6464 E Schaedler;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1973-02-24 Sat Rangers 1 Hibs 1 Scottish Cup A 63889 Alan Gordon;
1973-03-03 Sat Hibs 5 Dumbarton 0 Division 1 H 12417 J Hamilton;Alan Gordon;A Cropley;A Cropley;Arthur Duncan;
1973-03-07 Wed Hibs 4 Hadjuk Split 2 ECWC H 28424 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1973-03-17 Sat Hibs 2 Morton 1 Division 1 H 11690 Alan Gordon;T Higgins;
1973-08-04 Sat Celtic 0 Hibs 1 SDRY N 49204 Alan Gordon;
1973-08-18 Sat Hibs 1 Dumbarton 0 League Cup H 11318 Alan Gordon;
1973-08-25 Sat Dumbarton 4 Hibs 1 League Cup A 4687 Alan Gordon;
1973-09-01 Sat Hibs 2 Partick Thistle 1 Division 1 H 10597 B Smith;Alan Gordon;
1973-10-06 Sat Aberdeen 1 Hibs 1 Division 1 A 15158 Alan Gordon;
1973-10-10 Wed Raith Rovers 0 Hibs 2 League Cup A 2500 E Schaedler;Alan Gordon;
1973-10-13 Sat Hibs 2 Falkirk 0 Division 1 H 9900 T Higgins;Alan Gordon;
1973-10-20 Sat Celtic 1 Hibs 1 Division 1 A 32351 Alan Gordon;
1973-11-10 Sat Motherwell 1 Hibs 1 Division 1 A 6583 Alan Gordon;
1973-11-24 Sat St Johnstone 0 Hibs 2 Division 1 A 3400 Alan Gordon;Jimmy O'Rourke;
1973-12-15 Sat Dunfermline Athletic 2 Hibs 3 Division 1 A 5405 Pat Stanton;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;
1973-12-22 Sat Hibs 5 Morton 0 Division 1 H 5491 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;
1974-02-02 Sat Hibs 3 Aberdeen 1 Division 1 H 15744 Alan Gordon;Jimmy O'Rourke;Jimmy O'Rourke;
1974-03-02 Sat Hibs 3 Rangers 1 Division 1 H 23149 D Bremner;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;
1974-03-09 Sat Hibs 3 Dundee 3 Scottish Cup H 28236 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;
1974-04-17 Wed Hibs 3 Dumbarton 0 Division 1 H 7859 Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;Alan Gordon;
1974-04-20 Sat Hibs 1 Dunfermline Athletic 1 Division 1 H 10735 Alan Gordon;
1974-08-10 Sat Hibs 3 Rangers 1 League Cup H 23539 Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;J Harper;
1974-08-21 Wed Hibs 4 Dundee 2 League Cup H 13913 B Smith;Alan Gordon;Arthur Duncan;J Harper;
1974-08-24 Sat St Johnstone 1 Hibs 3 League Cup A 5960 Pat Stanton;Alan Gordon;A Edwards;
1974-09-11 Wed Kilmarnock 3 Hibs 3 League Cup A 10022 J Harper;Alan Gordon;A Cropley;
1974-09-14 Sat Partick Thistle 1 Hibs 5 Premier League A 7208 J Brownlie;I Munro;Alan Gordon;J Harper;J Harper;
1974-09-18 Wed Rosenborg 2 Hibs 3 UEFA Cup A 6537 Pat Stanton;Alan Gordon;A Cropley;
1974-09-21 Sat Hibs 3 Dundee United 0 Premier League H 14328 Alan Gordon;A Cropley;A Cropley;
1974-10-02 Wed Hibs 9 Rosenborg 1 UEFA Cup H 12379 J Harper;J Harper;I Munro;I Munro;Pat Stanton;Pat Stanton;A Cropley;A Cropley;Alan Gordon;
1974-10-12 Sat Hibs 6 Motherwell 2 Premier League H 12389 Pat Stanton;D Spalding;I Munro;I Munro;Alan Gordon;A Cropley;
1974-11-09 Sat Dunfermline Athletic 1 Hibs 1 Premier League A 8029 Alan Gordon;

Jonnyboy
19-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm typing this with a genuine tear in my eye. The big fella was a cracking player and a thoroughly decent bloke

RIP Alan

Edit: I'm reminded of a song doing the rounds in those days

A Gordon fir me
A Gordon fir me
If you're no big Alan
Yer nae use tae me
Yer Blackley's are braw
Yer Stanton's n'aw
But Big Alan Gordon's the King o' them aw

Gerard
19-02-2010, 11:17 PM
RIP Alan and condolences to the family and friends
Gerard O''Donnell

algraydog
19-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear this. A major part of my past
RIP

matty_f
19-02-2010, 11:26 PM
RIP Alan.

HibbyAndy
19-02-2010, 11:30 PM
RIP Alan. Top top man.

whiskyhibby
19-02-2010, 11:42 PM
A Gentleman and true Hibee Legend, sadly missed, he was one of my heros as a 7 year old

As Turnball said..."Your brains are in your head"

And as Alan quite modestly quoted ...he used to marvel at the skills of people like Edwards, Cropley, O'Rourke, Stanton and basically cashed on a very good football team.

Of which I might add he played a huge part

Long remembered ...........See you at the back post Alan

James70
19-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Terribly sad news, R.I.P. Alan.

Hibercelona
20-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Gutted I wasn't around in those days to see this legend play. :boo hoo:

Thank you for your involvement in the 7-0 thrashing of the Jambos. :agree:

RIP Alan

Sherlock Jones
20-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Stunned at this sad news.

Thanks for the great memories, Alan :applause:

Mickey Edwards
20-02-2010, 12:14 AM
My mum told me a while back that he was very ill....thoughts with the Gordon family - epitomised the class, grace, poise and powerful effectiveness of the team that he spearheaded.

Back in the day my mum & dad used to go out with 2 other couples for drinkypoos around Edinburgh........Mr &Mrs Alan Gordon and Mr & Mrs Alan Anderson.....that must have been a hoot in 1973 !!!

IIRC his son {?Alan too} played a few times for my Edina team and was similarly cultured with the left foot.....I think he went to Stew-Mel and may have chosen the oval ball.

hope some of the loss for the family is eased by the genuine warmth and hero-worship in the messages here.

Purple & Green
20-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Alan Fordyce Gordon was born on the 14th May 1944. After breaking into the Hearts team at a young age, he went onto play for Dundee United before arriving at Hibs on 21st January 1972. He made his debut against Motherwell the following day in 2-1 defeat at Easter Road. His first goal in Hibs colours was against Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup on 5th February 1972 in a 2-0 win at Firhill.

His final appearance for Hibs was on 9th November 1974 in a 1-1 draw at East End Park v Dunfermline, with his final goal for Hibs being in the same game.

His Hibs statistics are as follows:

League: 83 starts 1 sub 51 goals
League cup: 28 starts 1 sub 10 goals
Scottish Cup: 13 starts 7 goals
Europe: 13 starts 8 goals [Hibs record scorer in Europe]
Dryburgh Cup: 6 starts 6 goals
Total: 143 starts 2 subs 82 goals.

In addition he scored 5 hat tricks.

His Hibs career is what he is most fondly remembered for, winning as he did a league cup winners medal in 1972 and two Dryburgh cup winners medals - Gordon scored in both Dryburgh cup wins finals at Hampden.

He then signed for Dundee on on the 14th December 1974.

Legends Live Forever

Bishop Hibee
20-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Very sad news.

One of my first Hibs-watching memories is being behind the goal at Bayview when Alan Gordon scored a trademark header to win the game 1-0. To a young boy, it looked like superman hovering in the air but better dressed!

Gone but will never be forgotten. RIP.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 12:22 AM
One of my first Hibs heroes. I managed to talk to him a few of years ago in wotherspoons at the foot of leith walk. A real gentleman, and a great player for Hibs. So sad to hear this, i did not know he was ill. R.I.P Alan.:boo hoo:

johncrobertson@
20-02-2010, 12:26 AM
I had the great pleasure of watching Alan play for Turnbulls Tornadoes. Two games I really remember were the game against Aberdeen at Easter Road prior to 0-7 at Tynecastle. Aberdeen were a decent side then and the game was locked at 2-2 - Cropley then made a great pass to send Arthur Duncan clear down the left wing - the cross from the bye line went back towards the 18 yard line at which point Alan ran into the box and dived to head the ball past Bobby Clark for the winner! What a header by a class player - Hibs won 3-2.

The other game was against Rangers at Easter Road at a time when O'Rourke and Gordon were slightly out of favour with Eddie. When the team was announced on the tannoy Alan was in midfield behind Harper and O'Rourke. The Rangers fans around me said 'oh no not Gordon'! He proceeded to take Rangers apart - great distribution and great first goal - Hibs won 3-1!

If I was to pick my all time greatest Hibs Team - Alan would be in it without doubt.

RIP Alan - what memories you gave me.

chorley_fm
20-02-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm typing this with a genuine tear in my eye. The big fella was a cracking player and a thoroughly decent bloke

RIP Alan

A Gordon fir me
A Gordon fir me
If you're no big Alan
Yer nae use tae me
Yer Blackley's are braw
Yer Stanton's n'aw

Great post Jonnyboy

RIP Alan

J-C
20-02-2010, 12:43 AM
RIP Alan, you were one of my heroes during Eddie Turnbull's era, my condolences goes out to his family and close friends.

stu in nottingham
20-02-2010, 12:49 AM
A tear in my eye tonight.

God bless and keep you Alan.

Stu

ripvanwinkle
20-02-2010, 01:08 AM
I had the great pleasure of watching Alan play for Turnbulls Tornadoes. Two games I really remember were the game against Aberdeen at Easter Road prior to 0-7 at Tynecastle. Aberdeen were a decent side then and the game was locked at 2-2 - Cropley then made a great pass to send Arthur Duncan clear down the left wing - the cross from the bye line went back towards the 18 yard line at which point Alan ran into the box and dived to head the ball past Bobby Clark for the winner! What a header by a class player - Hibs won 3-2.

The other game was against Rangers at Easter Road at a time when O'Rourke and Gordon were slightly out of favour with Eddie. When the team was announced on the tannoy Alan was in midfield behind Harper and O'Rourke. The Rangers fans around me said 'oh no not Gordon'! He proceeded to take Rangers apart - great distribution and great first goal - Hibs won 3-1!

If I was to pick my all time greatest Hibs Team - Alan would be in it without doubt.

RIP Alan - what memories you gave me.

I had the pleasure of rerunning that goal against Aberdeen with AG when he was a customer (Gratis) in the black cab I used to work. He agreed that was one of his best fo us. He obviously loved talking about his time at ER as much as I enjoyed watching him.
R.I.P. Alan you were one of the best.

NaeTechnoHibby
20-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Sad News indeed.

RIP Alan and condolences to the family left behind.

sleeping giant
20-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Grew up hearing about him.

RIP

Saorsa
20-02-2010, 01:45 AM
He scored no. 7 :scarf:

sad news indeed :boo hoo:

MGmick
20-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Very sad news RIP Alan easily the best centre forward in my years as a Hibbie.

Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.

The Second Famousest Five.

basehibby
20-02-2010, 03:12 AM

:agree: It seems incredible that Alan was never capped by Scotland. His inclusion in that line up which was a Rest of the World side - including household names like Beckenbaur, Bobby Moore and Brazilian captain Carlos Alberto - gives a hint of the recognition he more than likely deserved.

I never saw Alan play but had the pleasure of getting to know him after his playing career. As well as a great footballer he was a great guy who will be sorely missed.

RIP Alan - always a Hibees legend

Kawacabbage10
20-02-2010, 03:35 AM
To young to witness him play in the flesh but what a header.....RIP Alan

SouthamptonHibs
20-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Having made my debut as a Hibs fan at ER, Alan Gordon became my favourite, as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, me and my mates used to play football and everyone always wanted to 'be' Alan Gordon first.

Dave Gutted with the news tonight mate but hey i'm up next weekend afer the mins silence how does everyone sound about given a rediion of turnbulls tornadoes. 11k singing that would be great... I'm up next weekend i'll start the thing 2 mins into the first half coming from x63 in the terracing...............HAIL HAIL then we're off after the game to respect another great hibby off the pitch toadsi....xx to may good men lost so early

Mate can i start a new thread with theis proposal, i'm sure all fellow hibees will agree to goin...i no it's a bit before my time but doesn't mater if ur 103, 53 , or 23 Alan was a legend............

:flag:

They cheer us each game

The best brand of football the world's ever seen. Dave Gutted with the news tonight mate but hey i'm up next weekend afer the mins silence how does everyone sound about given a rediion of turnbulls tornadoes. 11k singing that would be great... I'm up next weekend i'll start the thing 2 mins into the first half coming from x63 in the terracing...............HAIL HAIL then we're off after the game to respect another great hibby off the pitch toadsi....xx to may good men lost so early

Mate can i start a new thread with theis proposal, i'm sure all fellow hibees will agree to goin...i no it's a bit before my time but doesn't mater if ur 103, 53 , or 23 Alan was a legend............

Stonewall
20-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Sitting here with a head full of wonderful memories and a real sadness.

RIP Alan, you were one of my heroes.

Condolences to the family.

biggie1875
20-02-2010, 07:50 AM
R.I.P. Hibs legend.

EasterRoad4Ever
20-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Really sad news. Brilliant centre forward and an intelligent man. Turnbull's Tornados would have been a stiff breeze without Alan. Very Sad.

PeeJay
20-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Sad day for all Hibs fans. I remember watching him as a teenager - so many memories. I count myself lucky to have been able to watch that great Hibs team that he was part of. An eloquent man. Looking through one of my old soccer manuals I found a photo of Alan dressed in maroon - but for me he will always be a Hibs legend! One of the magnificent seven!!

RIP AG

PaulSmith
20-02-2010, 09:02 AM
YouTube - Hibs 7 Hearts 0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBDHez9yuI)

Best remembered.

hibiedude
20-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear the sad news about Alan.

Back many years ago Alan Trained a lot of the young guys at Fete-Lors Boys club and came with a some of the first team squad on Thurday evenings.

R.I.P Alan

ronaldo7
20-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Sad news of Alan's passing. A TRUE HIBERNIAN LEGEND:agree:

I had the pleasure of speaking with Alan on a number of occasions, but one sticks in the memory.

It was in the Members lounge in the Famous Five, when I overheard a young Hibernian fan ask Alan if he played for Hibs, the young lad didn't know who he was speaking too.

Our whole table turned round and gasped.

I introduced the young lad to Alan, and they got speaking about that game in 73. 15 minutes later the young lad runs off to tell Dad that he's met a real Hibs Legend.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

Condolences to all the Family.

hibbiedon
20-02-2010, 09:33 AM
R.I.P. Thanks you were my hero and always will be, sorry I cant find the words you deserve

Sudds_1
20-02-2010, 09:34 AM

RIP Alan

A Gordon fir me
A Gordon fir me
If you're no big Alan
Yer nae use tae me
Yer Blackley's are braw
Yer Stanton's n'aw

me too Jonny.......... and thats the song I'm singing to myself this morning...............

.........great man,,,,,,,great loss. The world is just that wee bit emptier this morning. :agree:

BroxburnHibee
20-02-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100220/alan-gordon_2262950_1971583

Leithenhibby
20-02-2010, 09:42 AM
[/CENT]
They cheer us each game

The best brand of football the world's ever seen. [/QUOTE]

Now this would be a fitting tribute to a man who was a Hibernian Legend in every sense ..Nice one Toaods+..:thumbsup:

Removed
20-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I was out last night and just logged on. I didn't know he was ill. I am shocked.

RIP

.Sean.
20-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Sad news indeed. Condolences to his family.

norhfc
20-02-2010, 10:11 AM
He was a hero of mine in the team when I first started going to ER in early 70s.A great player and true gentleman and Hibs legend.

RIP Alan Gordon

Rasta_Hibs
20-02-2010, 10:12 AM
RIP Alan Gordan

Lucius Apuleius
20-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Truly saddened, defintely a true gent an an excellent footballer. RIP Alan and condolences to the family.

Riordans Boots
20-02-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Alan-Gordon-the-thinking-man39s.6090056.jp

chorley_fm
20-02-2010, 10:29 AM
this thread should be stickied for a week or so

Admins ?

heretoday
20-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I knew him when he worked for Radio Forth. A gentleman.

number 27
20-02-2010, 10:44 AM
He was a friend of my Dad's in their youth. My old man always spoke really highly of him.

Sad news, RIP

:notworthy:

TheEastTerrace
20-02-2010, 10:55 AM
RIP Alan

'Forever I'll be singing to the Angels high above, singing glory to the Hibees, the team that we all love...7 nil'

GGTTH

BEEJ
20-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Stunned. Just stunned.....

ancient hibee
20-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I told Alan years ago that he became one of my favourite players when he was at Tynecastle when he missed a header in the last couple of minutes of the last game of the season against Kilmarnock which would have won hearts the league!Killie won instead-we had a good laugh-he didn't take himself too seriously and was a very nice guy.

roondheid
20-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Sadly i didn't see Alan grace the ER turf, it was just before my time.

Condolences to family and friends

Wull
20-02-2010, 11:16 AM
was deff 1 of our best. A class act.

Green4Go07
20-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Terrible news,so sad to hear one off Hibs greats has passed away.I will always remember his glancing headers and how he passed the ball into the net,a great education for any young football supporter.

RIP Alan

skipster7
20-02-2010, 11:24 AM
just before my time but a key part of one of our truly great teams.
RIP.

Moody Mulder
20-02-2010, 11:38 AM
RIP Alan Gordon

Malthibby
20-02-2010, 11:40 AM
One of my all-time heroes, a ridiculously good player in a great team.
Condolences to the family..

Green_one
20-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Terrible news

Great player. Made Turnbulls Tornadoes.

Nice guy

Played for a lot of teams

BSEJVT
20-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Truly saddened to read this.

I was fortunate enough to grow up watching the Tornadoes and Alan Gordon was the classiest of class acts, an absolutely fantastic centre forward and quite easily my favourite centre forward in watching 40+ years of Hibs.

Always the guy I pretended to be, playing football as a boy.

Another link with the past broken.

When my dad used to talk about the famous 5 I was always jealous I had never seen them.

To any of the younger guys who didn't see the Tornadoes, you also missed something very special.

RIP Alan and my thoughts are with family and friends.

Thanks for the memories.

GGTTH

MountcastleHibs
20-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Although well before my time, reading through the posts on here, Alan was obviously a great player for us and a great Hibby too.

RIP Alan Gordon

Baader
20-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Always sad to read about the passing of someone in the Hibernian family. Especially a true Hibs legend.

RIP Alan

Fife-Hibee
20-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Had the pleasure of picking Alan up a few times in the taxi, he loved nothing more than talking about football, Hibernian in particular. A great man and a gentleman as well. Very sad to here this. R.I.P Alan and condolences to all your family.

:notworthy:

ginger_rice
20-02-2010, 12:27 PM
A sad day indeed Alan Gordon was one of the most exciting forwards I've ever seen play, you just knew Hibs would score when he was on the park.

RIP Big Man

Feed McGraw
20-02-2010, 12:28 PM
So saddened by this news. Thanks for the memories Alan, you made it all look so easy.

We done it Dad
20-02-2010, 12:31 PM
God bless you Alan.
Thank you for some great memories.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Slightly off topic here, I see over on boakback they are disrespecting AG's time at ER by calling us hobos, from memory all HMFC players that have died recently have been given 100% respect by .netters, the site seems to be run by plooky wee neds with highlights in their hair, an obnoxious bunch of morons you are ever likely to meet.

:grr:

mjhibby
20-02-2010, 12:37 PM
The best headerer of a ball ive seen as shown by his second goal in that famous game.Played in the most wonderful hibs team and some magical european nights.Never to be forgotten.With alex edwards supplying the passes and jimmy orourke getting the knockdowns what a team we were going forward with arthur duncan on the left.Very sad indeed.RIP.

DaveF
20-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Slightly off topic here, I see over on boakback they are disrespecting AG's time at ER by calling us hobos, from memory all HMFC players that have died recently have been given 100% respect by .netters, the site seems to be run by plooky wee neds with highlights in their hair, an obnoxious bunch of morons you are ever likely to meet.

I suspect that'll be the idiotic loonies who inhabit that place. Sensible Hearts fans will be (and have been) respectful and sincere when discussing Alan Gordon and his time at all clubs.

I never saw him play, but from the many posts on this thread, it seems that I missed out on watching a highly skilfull and intelligent man play the beautiful game.

RIP Alan Gordon.

Alfred E Newman
20-02-2010, 12:43 PM

No surprise there then, what else would you expect from that shower of crap? And they wonder why no one likes them.

Removed
20-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Please guys, lets not spoil this thread.

I'm just watching the greatest game in history before I leave for Motherwell.

We just lost a legend :agree:

Riordans Boots
20-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Please guys, lets not spoil this thread.

I'm just watching the greatest game in history before I leave for Motherwell.

We just lost a legend :agree:

Well said 65bd. :agree:

Gatecrasher
20-02-2010, 12:54 PM
RIP to a Hibernian Legend :boo hoo:

--------
20-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I suspect that'll be the idiotic loonies who inhabit that place. Sensible Hearts fans will be (and have been) respectful and sincere when discussing Alan Gordon and his time at all clubs.

I never saw him play, but from the many posts on this thread, it seems that I missed out on watching a highly skilfull and intelligent man play the beautiful game.

RIP Alan Gordon.

:agree: Let them be - they only disgrace themselves.

Alan was without a doubt one of the most skilfull and graceful footballers it's ever been my privilege to watch Saturday by Saturday. That I watched him play in the green and white of Hibs only made it better.

He scored some wonderful goals - he was a top-class finisher - a great header of the ball, and equally good with the ball at his feet. He had a lovely delicate touch - as said already, his game was full of glancing headers and precision passes. He placed the ball in the net, rather than blasting it, and his positional play was an education for any youngster aspiring to play as a striker.

He was a goalscorer of the very highest quality and a wonderful leader of the line - his link play with Pat Stanton, Alex Edwards, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alex Cropley and Arthur Duncan was a joy to behold.

And yet I'm positive that he was never really appreciated by any of the clubs he played for, otherwise the fees for his transfers - Hearts to Dundee United, United to Hibs, Hibs to Dundee - would have been three or four times what they were.

He was the last real old-fashioned centre-forward I saw play for Hibs, a worthy successor to Lawrie Reilly, Joe Baker, and Neil Martin.

A very sad day. :agree:

Killiehibbie
20-02-2010, 01:14 PM
We thought we were in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number 7.
He is now.

R.I.P Alan Gordon Legend.

Phil D. Rolls
20-02-2010, 01:18 PM
So sorry to hear this news. My favourite story about Alan (apart from the one about his brains being in his head) concerns the late John Fairgrieve.

As older members will know, Fairgrieve was something of a Hearts fan. He and Alan were in the old Press Club at Rutland place, and Alan asked him, "is it Seven Up" you take in your Whisky John?"

In an age when people too readily use the word "legend", Alan Gordon is a true one. He played in one of the greatest Hibs teams, and he played no small part in THE greatest Hibs match.

edit: just been on KB, there is nothing but respect for him from the Hearts supporters, which says a lot!

spudhib
20-02-2010, 01:23 PM
RIP Alan.

Www1875hfc
20-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Just like to add my respects to the sad loss of Alan Gordon.
R.I.P Alan, your memory will never be forgotten.:boo hoo:

--------
20-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Two very good pieces on the Scotsman website from Stuart Bathgate and David Hardie.

Reminder that he played in Willi Schultz's testimonial for Rest of the World v SV Hamburg. According to David Hardie, the other strikers playing for the rest of the world that day were Uwe Seeler, Gerd Muller, and Denis Law. Not bad company to be placed with.

Alan played directly against Schultz in the Fairs' Cup in 1969 (I think). IIRC the invitation to play in the testimonial came directly from Schultz himself.

Kinda says it all.

Jim_in_Canada
20-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Really sad news -

One of the best !!!!

R.I.P. Alan.

son of haggart
20-02-2010, 02:09 PM
So sorry to hear this news. My favourite story about Alan (apart from the one about his brains being in his head) concerns the late John Fairgrieve.

As older members will know, Fairgrieve was something of a Hearts fan. He and Alan were in the old Press Club at Rutland place, and Alan asked him, "is it Seven Up" you take in your Whisky John?"

In an age when people too readily use the word "legend", Alan Gordon is a true one. He played in one of the greatest Hibs teams, and he played no small part in THE greatest Hibs match.

edit: just been on KB, there is nothing but respect for him from the Hearts supporters, which says a lot!

I am sure Fairgrieve would have seen the funny side of that.

I remember Alan playing for both sides of the town (though I'd rather forget his role in the 73 game..

A true gentleman on and off the pitch from what I have heard. Can anyone confirm that he owned a cafe in Gorgie for a while (would be late 70's early 80's I think)?

--------
20-02-2010, 02:22 PM

I remember Alan playing for both sides of the town (though I'd rather forget his role in the 73 game..

A true gentleman on and off the pitch from what I have heard. Can anyone confirm that he owned a cafe in Gorgie for a while (would be late 70's early 80's I think)?

He was a memory of days when Hibs fans and Hearts fans could actually speak to one another without coming to blows....

Amazing to think that the total of the transfer fees paid for his services throughout his career was £32,000.

Green7
20-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Never saw him play as before my time but some player from all the clips I have seen including the double on that famous day. RIP Alan

What would you give for somebody like him in the team these days? His goal scoring record was phenomenal.

sadtom
20-02-2010, 03:16 PM
R.I.P. Alan

Sandy
20-02-2010, 03:21 PM
RIP Alan, a sad loss for all, one of my orginal favourites at Hibs.

postwarhibby
20-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't usually post on these threads but the news that a legend has passed on bring back my personal memories of Alan.

I first became aware of Alan at school assembly one morning, usually a sombre occasion, when some of my class mates, it turned out to be the Jambos, started to point excitedly at a tall, fair-haired boy a couple of years older than us. I found out later that this older boy played for Hearts and had scored in a mid-week game the night before. As a football fan I was impressed, as a Hibby I kept a respectful distance.

Later, of course, he was an integral member of the greatest Hibs team I ever witnessed ( I think I saw the Famous Five play as a toddler in the early Fifties but the memories are too hazy to be sure). Many posters have already covered these glorious years so I'll stick to a personal memory. The funniest one was years later while sitting in the reception of a city centre casino which in these days was guarded by dinner-suited bouncers. A group of 4 would-be gamblers arrived including our Alan. Having just been at a formal dinner they too were dressed in dinner suits. I think Alan had been a guest speaker and was by far the soberest of the four. The bouncers decided that was one of the group was too far gone to be allowed entry. A slight altercation developed and when one of them slipped, all eight ended up rolling on the floor in a kind of gentle rugby scrum. When the reinforcement bouncers arrived they were unable to work out who was a bouncer and who was a gambler. Believe me it was hilarious!

Thanks for all the memories, Alan. R.I.P.

cheltenhamhibee
20-02-2010, 04:06 PM
R I P Alan, a true hibs legend, thanks for all the memories

Sammy7nil
20-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Very sad news.
Great memories of the man.

Gordon will be remembered for a long long time.

RIP

London Hibs FC
20-02-2010, 05:53 PM
R.I.P Alan

confused
20-02-2010, 07:01 PM
R.I.P. Big man ,you were a true gent.

Big Frank
20-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Terrible news for the Hibernian family.

An Hibernian Great has gone.

R.I.P

LHWM
20-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Official Hearts Tribute (http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20100219/alan-gordon-passes-away_2241384_1971309)

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2010, 12:22 AM
A legend. Gutted at this news.

Shrekko
21-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Bit too young to watch him play but always been aware of the high esteem Hibs fans held him in and his place in club folklore.

RIP Alan and condolences to his friends and family.

banarc7062
21-02-2010, 10:15 AM
A true gentleman. Great player and one of my favourites, so much so I named my son, Alan, after him. Sincere condolences to the family.

--------
21-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Official Hearts Tribute (http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20100219/alan-gordon-passes-away_2241384_1971309)

Thanks for the link, LH.

Could have done with a wee bit more about his time at Hibs :wink: but appreciated nevertheless.

Cheers! :agree:

johnrebus
21-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Terrible news.

I was at every game home and away in the early seventies and the image of Alan Gordon, one arm raised in the air after scoring is burned into my subconscious.

A great player in a great team, Alan Gordon did not really get the credit he deserved from the media. Another in a long line of great players ( inc. Alex Edwards of the same side ) who did not get a Scotland cap - one of the reasons I still feel ambivilent to the Scottish National side to this day.

Too many memories to mention, so I'll stick with his diving header V Aberdeen at Easter Road in December 1972 ( Hibs won 3-2, in front of 25,000 )

RIP

bawheid
21-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Very sad news. Too young to have seen him play but I know the 1/1/73 footage off by heart.

RIP Alan Gordon.

Riordans Boots
21-02-2010, 01:45 PM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Tributes-pour-in-for-striker.6090474.jp

Alex Trager
21-02-2010, 05:43 PM
just want to add my best wishes and respects to the old man and his family, dont know much about him but what i do is enough to say he was worthy of a legendary status at hfc

CropleyWasGod
21-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Very much doubt it. Always been an accountant, as far as I know.

When he was with Hibs, he worked with Gregor Cowan's C.A. practice. Gregor was a director of Hibs at the time.

Thereafter, he had his own firm, which was in York Place for many years.

I saw him on a C.A. training course in November, looking frail and walking with a stick. Although I didn't know him to speak to, I gave him a nod of recognition. Of course, he knew what the nod was about. :agree:

Risboro Hibby
21-02-2010, 06:29 PM
The diving header against Aberdeen remains to this day the greatest goal I have ever seen. Alan's finishing and the lead up to the goal was just something else

I was fortunate enough to be able to tell him this to his face when we were lucky enough to have him as our inspecting officer at our 43rd Ednburgh Boys Brigade annual display when I was OIC of the Junior section.

Alan started his football career with the Boys Brigade whilst he was a boy in the 43rd Boys Brigade (Sighthill). His tales that night too the boys of him playing for the same company as they did and the manner in which he presented himself just typified the gentleman that he was.

Thanks again Alan for the wonderful memories and for your part in the Turnbull Tornadoes.

capitals_finest
21-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Met the man at a pub watching one of the intertoto games. He was a true gentleman and i even got him speaking to my uncle on the phone about the old days. I wasn't around in his playing days but i know how class a player he was. He spoke so highly about his love for our club, he is a big loss to the hibs family, RIP

Lochin
21-02-2010, 09:36 PM
As a hibs daft kid Alan Gordon was my hero, and looking back I can't remember a better centre forward. Learning of his passing has not merely saddened me, but angered me. He was that special. That he was never capped for Scotland reflects poorly on our country. Scotland doesn't produce many players of Alan's quality - world class, and he was. RIP, and thankyou for the memories Alan. My thoughts are with your family.

1959 Hibby
22-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Alan Gordon was standing immediately in front of me in the queue to get into Hampden's north stand for the league cup final against Livingston. No prawn sandwiches for him. Being literally face to face with my childhood hero, I couldn't resist saying to him that I wished he could play for us that day. "So do I" he said. RIP to a fantastic player who for me is one of our all-time greats.

pacorosssco
22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
R.I.P.

A Hibs legend and a gentleman. Thoughts to his family.

Too young but thank you your contribution to the greatest game in history

--------
22-02-2010, 11:31 PM
The diving header against Aberdeen remains to this day the greatest goal I have ever seen. Alan's finishing and the lead up to the goal was just something else

I was fortunate enough to be able to tell him this to his face when we were lucky enough to have him as our inspecting officer at our 43rd Ednburgh Boys Brigade annual display when I was OIC of the Junior section.

Alan started his football career with the Boys Brigade whilst he was a boy in the 43rd Boys Brigade (Sighthill). His tales that night too the boys of him playing for the same company as they did and the manner in which he presented himself just typified the gentleman that he was.

Thanks again Alan for the wonderful memories and for your part in the Turnbull Tornadoes.

:agree: Can see it now.

gerx13
23-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Many great memories of Alan. My thoughts are with his family. RIP

delbert
23-02-2010, 02:58 AM
I was one of the lucky ones, saw Alan throughout his 3 years at Easter Road, lots of great goals, many described here, but on one of the few bad days the Tornadoes had, it was Alan who provided us with yet another great memory.

We went down to Dumbarton, almost missed the bus, just made it it into old Boghead where Hibs just had one of those days. However, midway through the second half we break down the wing, Arthur crosses almost onto the penalty spot and Alan met it full tilt, right off his forehead, and the ball exploded into the net. Some people may wonder if it was true that Alan could head a ball harder than some can kick it. If they had seen that goal (and a number of others) the question would not have needed to be asked. One of the few bad days I saw from that team, but the most elegant and graceful player I ever saw in a Hibs jersey still gave me a goal to remember, a gent, a great and I know that I was privileged to have seen him in the green and white of my team.

Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.

RIP Alan, thanks for the memories.

green.oracle
23-02-2010, 08:52 AM
RIP Alan. A true Hibs legend and absolute gent.

I had the pleasure of talking football with Alan on several occasions over the years at various functions. Always had the time of day to talk to you.

His goalscoring record at ER was sensational at a time when I witnessed the best Hibs team in my lifetime (to date!!).

Poster number 53 mentions the first 2 lines of a famous "Alan Gordon" song. The full version was;

His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team
The finest centre forward that the world has ever seen
When he's in the goalmouth he's sure to score a goal
and as for derek parlane [I](hun centre forward at that time) you can stick him up your h*le

I remember us doing the conga round the abbotsford bar in rose street after the second drybrough cup win to that song. Big Al scored the winner in the last minute of extra time that day.

:notworthy::thumbsup:

hibbymac
23-02-2010, 09:12 AM
RIP Alan.

Riordans Boots
23-02-2010, 02:53 PM
You can leave a message or light a candle here -

http://announce.jpress.co.uk/3602659

falkirk_cabbage
25-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Real shock to the system, an absolute integral part of the best Hibs team that I have seen. My condolences to his family, unfortunately just reminds me that we are all getting older.

heretoday
27-02-2010, 04:25 PM
If it wasn't for Jordan you would have been the Scotland centre.