PDA

View Full Version : Scotland to lose 2nd champions league spot

HH81
19-02-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5959632,00.html

Sorry if this has been posted but whats the thoughts on this?

MB62
19-02-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5959632,00.html

Sorry if this has been posted but whats the thoughts on this?

Good, it might bring one or both of the bigot brothers closer to us in the longer term.

Dr What If?
19-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Does this mean 1 CL + 4 EL = same amount of european places as at moment or 1 CL + 3EL = one less european place overall?
The article talks of the effect on the OF quite a bit but it would be more serious if we lost one place altogether!

Dr_Regal
19-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Another excuse to start up the moving to the premiership pish!

joe breezy
19-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Good, **** them. Hibs aren't good enough to do anything in the Champions League so it probably won't affect us to be honest.

Hibs Class
19-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Three qualifying rounds for the CL will also hopefully hamper whoever are champions; assuming it's the OF that further narrows the gap tp the rest of the teams. If it hasn't already been done, though, the authorities need to get the finger out and ensure that cup runners up don't get into Europe as that will probably have been a sizeable factor in the co-efficient being where it is right now.

Nando™
19-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Three qualifying rounds for the CL will also hopefully hamper whoever are champions; assuming it's the OF that further narrows the gap tp the rest of the teams. If it hasn't already been done, though, the authorities need to get the finger out and ensure that cup runners up don't get into Europe as that will probably have been a sizeable factor in the co-efficient being where it is right now.
Ken, joke of a rule.

Leithenhibby
19-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Good, **** them. Hibs aren't good enough to do anything in the Champions League so it probably won't affect us to be honest.

Lets be honest, the ugly sisters are not good enough either, hence the removal of a place.

You are right though, ***** them...:wink:

PeeJay
19-02-2010, 03:07 PM

Bit shortsighted if you ask me. Granted we "might" not win it (!), but being in it and surving a round or two would be financially rewarding, surely? The more money, the better team we can put together and so on ...

Nando™
19-02-2010, 03:07 PM
It's great to think that one day there will be an SPL with 5 or 6 teams all equally capable of winning the league. This will happen if/when we continue to lose CL/EL places and therefore the OF will lose a huge chunk of there income.

The only concern then is if our clubs can recover and regain European places and have 5 or 6 teams gaining a good European wedge rather than 2 (or 1).

Dr Jimmy
19-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Does this mean Hearts will have to win the SPL in order to win the Champions League as promised?:dunno:

Woody1985
19-02-2010, 03:16 PM
It's great to think that one day there will be an SPL with 5 or 6 teams all equally capable of winning the league. This will happen if/when we continue to lose CL/EL places and therefore the OF will lose a huge chunk of there income.

The only concern then is if our clubs can recover and regain European places and have 5 or 6 teams gaining a good European wedge rather than 2 (or 1).

Rangers turnover increased by 20 million in the last year which is attributed to the CL.

**** them both.

With our prudence over the years we will hopefully be in a position within the next few years to start mounting regular challenges.

Bristolhibby
19-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Dont think it can be done. Apparantly there has to be one Europa League place awarded via a knock-out competition.

Just thave to hope that the top teams make it to the final.

J

Moody Mulder
19-02-2010, 03:23 PM
yeah lets see both ugly sisters' accounts when the CL money dries up, **ck the both of them

The_Todd
19-02-2010, 03:35 PM
If it hasn't already been done, though, the authorities need to get the finger out and ensure that cup runners up don't get into Europe as that will probably have been a sizeable factor in the co-efficient being where it is right now.

I don't know. I'd think someone who actually wins a domestic trophy is more deserving of a European place than a runner up of another trophy.

Either way, who cares. For all clubs outside the OF who have a collectively terrible domestic honours list, European qualification should be much less of an issue than regaining an ounce of domestic glory.

Hibs Class
19-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't know. I'd think someone who actually wins a domestic trophy is more deserving of a European place than a runner up of another trophy.

Either way, who cares. For all clubs outside the OF who have a collectively terrible domestic honours list, European qualification should be much less of an issue than regaining an ounce of domestic glory.

I think Scottish cup winners should qualify. but the rule change would prevent runners up picking up a place, as happened to Gretna, Falkirk and Queen of the South, all of whom fell at the first chance. That was the rule change that I thought was being progressed.

The_Todd
19-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I think Scottish cup winners should qualify. but the rule change would prevent runners up picking up a place, as happened to Gretna, Falkirk and Queen of the South, all of whom fell at the first chance. That was the rule change that I thought was being progressed.

That's fair enough.

Joe Baker II
19-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Not good news but to be honest we have over-performed in Europe in 2000s until the last 2 seasons when we have been awful.

UEFA seeding system pretty punishing for small countries when they have bad season and sadly nothing will be done about if unless the small and middling FA's all unite and protest.

Think part of problem is a lot of fans in countries like Soctland more bothered about domestic football and no not care much about qualifying for Europe as some of the above posts imply, when for a club like Hibs, re-establishing ourselves as a European force after 30 years (as Celtic did in the last decade after a 15-20 year gap, so it can be done, even in small countries) is in fact what really matters if we are ever going to be a successful club.

Fergus52
19-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Does this mean 1 CL + 4 EL = same amount of european places as at moment or 1 CL + 3EL = one less european place overall?
The article talks of the effect on the OF quite a bit but it would be more serious if we lost one place altogether!

does anyone know this??

Barney McGrew
19-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Won't make a massive difference to us TBH, but for the OF it's potentially catastrophic.

I'm sitting listening to Real Radio just now, and as usual they're trotting out the lines about it being terrible for Scottish football and how it's all the wee daft diddy teams fault that the OF aren't getting automatic qualification from now on. Conveniently forgetting of course that Rangers put in the worst performance by a team in the CL group stages ever, and Celtic failed to qualify before getting embarrassed in the Europa league group stages. But that's all our fault as usual :rolleyes:

All that it now means is that at least one of them is going to start sliding even more into the financial doo doo, since they won't have that to fall back on any more and the £10m plus that it guarantees them. And with other teams getting closer to them in the SPL now (and that's before the CL money runs out), then they're going to get what they always claimed they wanted - a more competitive league - and it's frightening the **** out of them.

It's all making our financial prudence over the last few years make even more sense, and should put us in an even stronger position in another couple of seasons if we can continue to improve on the pitch like we have so far since Yogi took over.

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Delighted at this news. It'll probably lead to a one-team rather than two-team dominated League as the unsuccessful of the bigot bros will fall away without CL revenue. Bad for Scottish football? No. Makes to difference to anyone but them and their interests stopped becoming co-terminus with Scottish Football's several decades ago.

For the rest of us it means we'll have to stand the tiresome crowing of only one set of glory hunters rather than two. Expect loads of 'Celtic/Rangers are no longer our main rivals, its the likes of the garbage we're regularly getting humped by in Europe' type stuff.

However, the lack of boasting will be matched by paranoid chip-on-the-shoulder nonsense from the other party who struggle by on Europa cash.

These clubs have been inflated way beyond their natural growth, first by sectarianism, then by the coffers of Euro and TV cash.

I hope non-OF fans aren't duped into being herded into this 'bad for Scotland' garbage. The only thing bad for Scotland is the European money that sectarianism and glory hunterism has been underwritten with for several decades. And now its been halved.:thumbsup:

_hucks_
19-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Could it possibly just allow one OF team to become dominant? With the huns finances the way they are, if they miss out on CL money 2 years running with Celtc getting it, then could that effectively make the SPL a one horse race?

jakedance
19-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Excellent news. What is bad for the old firm is good for everyone else. Our league can only be more competitive as a result and that can only be good.

I just listened to radio scotland on my way home and they were spouting the usual pish about this kind of thing being bad for Scottish fitba, you would think the alternative point of view, that will be shared by many, would at least be worthy of discussion. Apparently not.

Speedy
19-02-2010, 07:00 PM
does anyone know this??

Definitely 1 CL + 3 EL

See:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2010.html

This is the latest ratings:

http://kassiesa.net/uefabackup/data/method4/crank2010.html

Sudds_1
19-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Another excuse to start up the moving to the premiership pish!

Yeah too right........

...I think we have another season at least before we're ready to make that shift :wink:

Woody1985
19-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Could it possibly just allow one OF team to become dominant? With the huns finances the way they are, if they miss out on CL money 2 years running with Celtc getting it, then could that effectively make the SPL a one horse race?

Yes, as opposed to a two horse one at the moment.

One weaker team would meant that other teams would have a better chance of finishing second and getting into the EL groups, helping them build.

The problem with CL money is that it has the potential to destroy a small league. IF for example, an Irish team fluked into the group stages then they'd have the massive pot of money which would allow them to dominate from years.

I think there should be some kind of system where the CL money filters down the divisions and into the grass routes of the game, hopefully raising the overall standard and not allowing a massive gap to open up for one team but then that would mean clubs agreeing to give up revenue. NEVER going to happen.