PDA

View Full Version : Riordan (again)

jiggerman
19-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I see there are mentions of Deeko throughout all the post St Johnstone match analysis but I though I would give my tuppence worth anyway:thumbsup: I don't know if others agree.

Over the last 8-10 games in particular we have been watching Deek really struggle at left midfield. Apart from a couple of impressive strikes and crosses I am prepared to say he offers very little indeed.

For someone who is 27 he is showing alarming signs of slowing up and becoming increasingly weak? He is incapable of holding a ball up or beating a man now. I think that is fact.

Before people say he should be played up front - I think that position only heightens the need for strength and speed (see Stokes -and how strong he is). I really want to believe a strike partnership of Stokes and Deek would be ideal, but I'm afraid I just do not think it is - and Yogi knows it.

Ultimately, I have found myself asking a question I NEVER thought I would ask, but: Is Derek Riordan good enough for Hibs, or more pertinently, is he good enough for where we want to go?

He will undoubtedly bosh in a few crackers throughout the remainder of the season, but would the team (and ultimately results) be better off with a combative, hard working left midfielder with a good delivery and a tendency to pitch in with a few goals throughout the season?

Having said that the boy has been incredible throughout my time as a Hibs fan and there is nothing I would like more than for him to prove me totally wrong - I post this in some concern to be honest!

J

Judas Iscariot
19-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Play a left midfielder at left midfield and play Riordan as a forward, striker, attacker - whatever, as long as it's further forward than where he is being left stranded ATM!

The amount of chances we've missed the season through Stokes and even more so Nish has been ridiculous!

If Deek was playing a more central role some of the chances will fall to him as he's IMO 1 of the best finishers in the league!

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I too share your concern, I don't think I've ever seen a better goalscorer in all my years than Deek, this may sound daft but Yogi is the only person who can't see he is wasted out on the left, you are right when you say it is a total waste of talent, we all know he is sulky and TBH it look's like he is trying to tell Yogi something or is there more to it off the field?, I want him and Stokes up front just like 99% of other Hibees but for some strange reason I don't think it will happen, I only hope to god that Yogi see's sense and does the right thing otherwise Deek will be ofski and in my opinion that would be a tragedy for Hibs overall.

Antifa Hibs
19-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Likewise. Been saying this for a good while now, far to weak and slow. Looks a good yard off pace these days. You can get away with one or the other, but not both.

That'll be 10 years of bevvying most weekends catching up. Can't live the lifestyle Derek wants and be at the top of your game for that length of time...

freddie m
19-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Play a left midfielder at left midfield and play Riordan as a forward, striker, attacker - whatever, as long as it's further forward than where he is being left stranded ATM!

The amount of chances we've missed the season through Stokes and even more so Nish has been ridiculous!

If Deek was playing a more central role some of the chances will fall to him as he's IMO 1 of the best finishers in the league!
:top marks
Not been a fan of Riordan at all this season, seems to be well off the pace and also looks uninterested at times, however there is no disputing his finishing ability easily the best in Scotland, if he got the chances that Stokes has been getting this season I would be surprised if he was not into double figure by now.
Glory glory
:flag::flag::flag:

Liam89
19-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Not been a fan of Riordan at all this season, seems to be well off the pace and also looks uninterested at times, however there is no disputing his finishing ability easily the best in Scotland, if he got the chances that Stokes has been getting this season I would be surprised if he was not into double figure by now.
Glory glory

The thing is, stokes has been feeding off scraps superbly this season and I can't see Riordan doing that as well as Stokes.

freddie m
19-02-2010, 10:07 AM
The thing is, stokes has been feeding off scraps superbly this season and I can't see Riordan doing that as well as Stokes.
I don,t believe that to be exactly true or I have been watching another team this season, I am not criticising Stokes as I think he is a fantastic player, way better than Riordan this year easily, I just think that Riordan is much more clinical in front of goal that's all.
Glory glory

IWasThere2016
19-02-2010, 10:10 AM

:agree:

khib70
19-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Likewise. Been saying this for a good while now, far to weak and slow. Looks a good yard off pace these days. You can get away with one or the other, but not both.

That'll be 10 years of bevvying most weekends catching up. Can't live the lifestyle Derek wants and be at the top of your game for that length of time...
Regrettably, what you say is true, and is the impression I've got from watching him recently. A tragic waste of a huge talent. Stokes sets the standard these days in terms of pace and strength.

The standard justification for Deek's failure to shine regularly is that "he's being played out of position" and should be a central striker. No chance there. Pitched in with the kind of hulking central defenders every club in the SPL has these days, he'd get knocked all over the place just like the much less talented Colin Nish.

Deek's best chance of belatedly realising his potential, and Stokes' of progressing is if we can find a strong dominant centre-forward who can win the ball in the air and hold it up for them. That doesn't mean the gutless and mainly ineffective Nish, who is responsible for more moves breaking down than anyone else.

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Glory glory

And if you had been watching Hibs all season you would know that Derek Riordan is already in to double figures for goals this season from left midfield.:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2010, 11:04 AM
And if you had been watching Hibs all season you would know that Derek Riordan is already in to double figures for goals this season from left midfield.:wink:

8 in the SPL according to the BBC.

He is the top-scoring midfielder in the league though.

Riordans Boots
19-02-2010, 11:07 AM

:agree: :top marks

Franck is God
19-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Through out this season Deek has either played on the left side of a front three or a front four and he has no more defensive duties than any other forward.

In his first spell at Hibs playing this position never hindered his goal scoring and I remember him having more pace, a better touch and an actual desire to go past defenders to create chances for himself and others. If you look at the many you tube collections of his goals you can see this for yourself.

I like Deek but his all round play is simply not good enough to hold down a place in a team with loftier ambitions, we need all our players at 100% in every game including Deek and some fans need to stop making excuses for him.

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 11:33 AM
8 in the SPL according to the BBC.

He is the top-scoring midfielder in the league though.

11 in all competitions this season, only 5 behind the top goal scorer Stokes who plays solely as our only striker.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Yip for someone so off form as he is, its not a bad return from a player thats also not interested/lazy/thinks he's bigger than the club/and playing out of position.:wink:

jiggerman
19-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it has been said throughout this thread - two critical factors for successful footballers these days are pace and strength. Deek is losing the former quickly and has never had the latter.

I entirely agree that:

1. He used to be able to go past players (at will from memory) - so does this bring in to question his desire? I would be more inclined to say he is suffering the effects of not conducting himself appropriately in the past (drinking, diet, attitude generally).

2. He is a SUPERB finisher - a better striker of the ball than Stokes admittedly. I am not sure he is more 'deadly' than Stokes. I know which of the two I would bet on to score a 1-1. The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.

I believe (but really wish I didn't) that he is finished as a truely feared striker in the SPL. His immobility and weakness mean a place can't be found in a team with 'loftier' ambitions. The most average of full backs have him in their back pocket (Cinknas of Hearts in the Derby at ER - he was woeful and Deek did nothing!) and the centre backs will be very much the same.

Hat-trick for Deeks at the w/e!:thumbsup::agree: Two free kicks and a penalty of course! :wink:

Tollhouse Hibee
19-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I see there are mentions of Deeko throughout all the post St Johnstone match analysis but I though I would give my tuppence worth anyway:thumbsup: I don't know if others agree.

Over the last 8-10 games in particular we have been watching Deek really struggle at left midfield. Apart from a couple of impressive strikes and crosses I am prepared to say he offers very little indeed.

For someone who is 27 he is showing alarming signs of slowing up and becoming increasingly weak? He is incapable of holding a ball up or beating a man now. I think that is fact.

Before people say he should be played up front - I think that position only heightens the need for strength and speed (see Stokes -and how strong he is). I really want to believe a strike partnership of Stokes and Deek would be ideal, but I'm afraid I just do not think it is - and Yogi knows it.

Ultimately, I have found myself asking a question I NEVER thought I would ask, but: Is Derek Riordan good enough for Hibs, or more pertinently, is he good enough for where we want to go?

He will undoubtedly bosh in a few crackers throughout the remainder of the season, but would the team (and ultimately results) be better off with a combative, hard working left midfielder with a good delivery and a tendency to pitch in with a few goals throughout the season?

Having said that the boy has been incredible throughout my time as a Hibs fan and there is nothing I would like more than for him to prove me totally wrong - I post this in some concern to be honest!

J

I have to agree, and its not nice to say, but we need more workrate.

Lack of work in midfield and up front killed us wednesday. You can play 4 players who do very little off the ball work (zouma, benji, stokes and riordan) because one day a hard working team will hammer you.

Bad Martini
19-02-2010, 12:00 PM
The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.

Riordan also has been known to create more than the odd chance for others and feature heavily the assists for the season....:agree:

...this is being overlooked by many, I fear. Deek was never that fast or that strong - what he was, and still is, is a deadly finisher of the ball, he can generally score from most anywhere and he has an inimitable ability to piss of the yams :devil:

freddie m
19-02-2010, 12:02 PM
My mistake I meant to say he would be on 20 plus by now, however I was talking about SPL goals which is about 8 goals scored.
Glory glory

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I think it has been said throughout this thread - two critical factors for successful footballers these days are pace and strength. Deek is losing the former quickly and has never had the latter.

I entirely agree that:

1. He used to be able to go past players (at will from memory) - so does this bring in to question his desire? I would be more inclined to say he is suffering the effects of not conducting himself appropriately in the past (drinking, diet, attitude generally).

2. He is a SUPERB finisher - a better striker of the ball than Stokes admittedly. I am not sure he is more 'deadly' than Stokes. I know which of the two I would bet on to score a 1-1. The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.

I believe (but really wish I didn't) that he is finished as a truely feared striker in the SPL. His immobility and weakness mean a place can't be found in a team with 'loftier' ambitions. The most average of full backs have him in their back pocket (Cinknas of Hearts in the Derby at ER - he was woeful and Deek did nothing!) and the centre backs will be very much the same.

Hat-trick for Deeks at the w/e!:thumbsup::agree: Two free kicks and a penalty of course! :wink:

Apart from go past his player and put a delightful ball in for Stokes to get the equaliser.

Bad Martini
19-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Apart from go past his player and put a delightful ball in for Stokes to get the equaliser.

...ma point exactly Deek :greengrin

Assists (and goals) make points...and points, make prizes.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
19-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I've watched Derek quite closely in recent weeks and here's my take on him.

In his first spell at the club he was very effective when playing on the left side and he had a bit of pace, not hugely quick in movement but lightning quick in thought and that often took him past defenders. When he returned from Parkhead it was obvious he was carrying a bit of weight and that affected his pace but the thought was still there and evidenced beautifully in his goal against Hamilton on his return.

This season the weight is back under control but he has lost a yard of pace, something that happens to players as they get older and though he's still the right side of 30 there's no cut off point, it varies from player to player. As such he needs to rely even more on his speed of thought but of late his confidence has dipped because he's not getting as many goals as he would have liked.

Now, after the groundwork comes the theory :greengrin In his wide left midfield position he has, over the last number of weeks, been starved of possession as for some reason Hibs seem to prefer playing down the right, perhaps to better utilise Wotherspoon and Zouma. Whatever the reason it means Derek is not involved for long spells and his well known and very obvious frustration comes to the fore. As and when he does receive a pass it's often been 40 yards or more from the opposing goal and has found him facing the other way. His eagerness to get the ball forward, after having watched his team mates play tippy tappy across the field and back usually ends up with him taking a touch to get away from a defender and then sending a diagonal ball towards the opposition goal, no doubt hoping Stokes and Nish or Zouma have a chance of getting on the end of it. Invariably they don't and so the pass is wasted and reflects badly on Derek.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Murray is coming down the left, Derek comes short and when he gets the ball he's in the position just explained. Whether he's that deep because he's had it drummed into him that he must be able to defend as well as attack I don't know but whatever it is it's wasting his talent. Rankin is naturally left sided and for me he should be moving to that side to cover a forward run by Derek. That way the player we all know and love, the player who can conjure goals out of nothing might just get back to doing what we all know he is capable of.

RIP
19-02-2010, 12:26 PM
What has Derek to look forward to career-wise after Hibs

Europe - You can sell a russian most things - No?
EPL? - nae chance, too slow, too weak
Championship? - possibly as a squad player. Mind you some teams are fast - so maybe he wouldnae be able to hold down a first-team place
English 1 or 2? - Nae guid night-life in most of these places - cannae see it
Ugly Sisters? - nah!
Yams? - :faf:
Arabs, Dons, Well? - possibly
Bottom 6 SPL? - probably
USA, Australia? - Sunshine and plenty tottie - there's a thocht - Sun-tanned Deek wi a burd :greengrin

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 12:27 PM
...ma point exactly Deek :greengrin

Assists (and goals) make points...and points, make prizes.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Tee Hee. :thumbsup:

David@EasterRoad
19-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Worth noting that his overall work rate has improved a lot, maybe he is just tired from all the tracking back that he didn't really have to do under Mowbray.

Other teams also know what he is capable of so they usually double up on him when he gets the ball in the last third.

skipster7
19-02-2010, 12:43 PM

In his first spell at the club he was very effective when playing on the left side and he had a bit of pace, not hugely quick in movement but lightning quick in thought and that often took him past defenders. When he returned from Parkhead it was obvious he was carrying a bit of weight and that affected his pace but the thought was still there and evidenced beautifully in his goal against Hamilton on his return.

This season the weight is back under control but he has lost a yard of pace, something that happens to players as they get older and though he's still the right side of 30 there's no cut off point, it varies from player to player. As such he needs to rely even more on his speed of thought but of late his confidence has dipped because he's not getting as many goals as he would have liked.

Now, after the groundwork comes the theory :greengrin In his wide left midfield position he has, over the last number of weeks, been starved of possession as for some reason Hibs seem to prefer playing down the right, perhaps to better utilise Wotherspoon and Zouma. Whatever the reason it means Derek is not involved for long spells and his well known and very obvious frustration comes to the fore. As and when he does receive a pass it's often been 40 yards or more from the opposing goal and has found him facing the other way. His eagerness to get the ball forward, after having watched his team mates play tippy tappy across the field and back usually ends up with him taking a touch to get away from a defender and then sending a diagonal ball towards the opposition goal, no doubt hoping Stokes and Nish or Zouma have a chance of getting on the end of it. Invariably they don't and so the pass is wasted and reflects badly on Derek.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Murray is coming down the left, Derek comes short and when he gets the ball he's in the position just explained. Whether he's that deep because he's had it drummed into him that he must be able to defend as well as attack I don't know but whatever it is it's wasting his talent. Rankin is naturally left sided and for me he should be moving to that side to cover a forward run by Derek. That way the player we all know and love, the player who can conjure goals out of nothing might just get back to doing what we all know he is capable of.
:top marks pretty much agree with all of that, and as much as everyone has their opinion it seems some people would rather see the back of a guy who will score 100 goals for us, madness i tell you:yawn:

KWJ
19-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Haven't quoted but somebody said he does no more defending than any other sriker. That's bull. I'm in bloody Australia, haven't seen a great deal of Hibs but I've noticed Deek around his own box too many times for it to be a novelty.

Also here's the top assists for the SPL

Steven Davis 11
Aiden McGeady 8
Kenny Miller 7
Andreas Hinkel 6
Daniel Swanson 5
Garry Hay 4
Kris Boyd 4
John Rankin 4
Derek Riordan 4
Kyle Lafferty 4
Ryan Flynn 4
DaMarcus Beasley 4

Rankin & Riordan :greengrin

Mikeystewart
19-02-2010, 01:16 PM
This may be a bold actually no it is a bold statement. Would anyone agree that the way Riordan has returned is simmilar to when George Best arrived. Bags of talent but after years of physical abuse from activities detrimental to an athletes physical abability to consistently compete and provide the performances the manager the fans and the media are now demanding.

He can hit a ball we all know that but does he have the other attributes required.

Removed
19-02-2010, 01:25 PM
This may be a bold actually no it is a bold statement. Would anyone agree that the way Riordan has returned is simmilar to when George Best arrived. Bags of talent but after years of physical abuse from activities detrimental to an athletes physical abability to consistently compete and provide the performances the manager the fans and the media are now demanding.

Eh...........no. To compare Riordans return to that of Best is :crazy: imo

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 01:27 PM

He can hit a ball we all know that but does he have the other attributes required.

I wasn't aware that Derek Riordan had a drink problem.:yawn:

number 27
19-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I think Riordan has to start tomorrow. There will not be much silky football on that pitch but set-pieces could be crucial. Deeks has the most quality from dead ball situations IMO and for that reason I would want him on the park from the beginning.

For what it is worth I would play him in a front 2 with Stokes but allow him freedom to drift into wider areas. I would agree though that he needs to up his game along with a few others.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2010, 01:28 PM

He's got 2 hands but only one mouth.

Bad Martini
19-02-2010, 05:05 PM

Indeed....and if all the grasses and part-time polis keep shopping him whilst he is oot he'll no even be able to get a bloody drink :greengrin

The truth is, this thread has blown lots of wee smaller things oot of proportion. This chat of him being finished and pish aboot his work rate....stevie wonder and ray charles can see that (unfortunately IMHO) these days deek is just as likely to be found clearin the ball from our box as he is in the opponents.....source: last 2 games, rangers game in particular.

I firmly believe if we put rankin oot on the left mid to left wing and put deek in some hybrid inside left wed be on ti a winner. **** all this defending for him...that's why we have a back 4.....let us see him rattle the fekers in the net. The lack of gioals isn't doon to a total lack of effort or loss of skill suddenly...tis down to the wrong place at the wrong time.......

Imho of course.

ancient hibee
19-02-2010, 05:53 PM
The goal Riordan scored earlier this season when he ran onto a crossfield pass from Wotherspoon and first timed it into the net would not have een scored by anyone else at the club -that's his position and that is the sort of passes he should be getting not little passes at the half way line.Someone said Stokes has been living off scraps-in factmost of his goals have come from good passes or crosses and he has taken them very well but playing him in an isolated position instead of with Riordan to also pose a scoring threat is really lunatic.

silverhibee
19-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Top Post Jonnyboy. :top marks

Winston Ingram
19-02-2010, 06:54 PM

J

Good post. I agree he's never a centre forward in million years. I think his form is down to application and attitude rather than him slowing up. I probably think his lifestyle has a lot to do with it as well:agree:

Davy Mac
19-02-2010, 07:36 PM
If anybody knows anything about fitba it's all about what contribution you bring to the team and I think Deeks has proved himself time and time again what a top player this guy is.

Some folk will not be happy unless he's out the door, well Deeks I hope you get a deal that will keep you at ER for the rest of your days fella.

bubblesmorrison
19-02-2010, 10:30 PM
he is just that sort of player even when he plays up front he wont do to much but when he dose its usally sumthing good

skipster7
19-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Good post. I agree he's never a centre forward in million years. I think his form is down to application and attitude rather than him slowing up. I probably think his lifestyle has a lot to do with it as well:agree:

what do you know about his lifestyle? :confused:

the way some folk go on you would think hes out on the raz all the time, these rumors grow arms and legs and before you know it its gospel!
imo there is nothing wrong if a player wants to have a beer on the odd saturday night as im sure plenty of his teamates do,it just seems such a big deal if he were to do it.the guy can barely tear himself away from his xbox to get up to any mischief:wink:

NaeTechnoHibby
20-02-2010, 01:26 AM

Top post sweetie :agree:

Deeks was always/still is an instinctive thinking player, and that will serve any other striker well :agree:

GO'C, Fletcher, Nish and now Stokes have had the advantage of that :agree:

basehibby
20-02-2010, 03:01 AM
I'd like to see Deeks up front with Stokes in a 4-4-2 come 4-3-3 with Zemama wide right for a spell and see how it works out.

Like others I've seen his work rate in terms of tracking back etc improving over the course of the season but the pay off is that he often seems to lack the zip required to get past defenders when it matters.

Whether that lack of zip is down to lifestyle or defensive midfield duties is a matter of speculation but the truth probably is that it's a combination of both, and whether it's up front or in left midfield, I'd like to see evidence of greater application from Deeks in a bid to make the most of the latter years of his career. He's a great talent and it would be great to see him trully being the best he possibly can be for the Hibees.

IWasThere2016
20-02-2010, 04:15 AM
I'd like to see Deeks up front with Stokes in a 4-4-2 come 4-3-3 with Zemama wide right for a spell and see how it works out.

Like others I've seen his work rate in terms of tracking back etc improving over the course of the season but the pay off is that he often seems to lack the zip required to get past defenders when it matters.

Whether that lack of zip is down to lifestyle or defensive midfield duties is a matter of speculation but the truth probably is that it's a combination of both, and whether it's up front or in left midfield, I'd like to see evidence of greater application from Deeks in a bid to make the most of the latter years of his career. He's a great talent and it would be great to see him trully being the best he possibly can be for the Hibees.

He is a great talent. Ned or Sir Paddy said we should get the ball to him in the last third, but Yogi has him defending deep in his own half at times! Madness IMHO!

Anyway, if what I'm hearing is right - there will be at least 4 changes from Wednesday and Deeks will be on the bench today :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Anyway, if what I'm hearing is right - there will be at least 4 changes from Wednesday and Deeks will be on the bench today :grr:

If you've been asked not to post details why do you go ahead and do it anyway?